Nobilis: Of Love and Heaven - Table Talk

Lee Deity

So, I'm probably showing my roleplaying pedigree here, but I've been seriously hankering for a game of Nobilis. I have an idea for a game that I think could work, and could accomodate up to 6 players. Is anyone at all interested?

I figured that considering so many people here enjoy the idea of playing gods of incredible power, that a few people here might enjoy the thought of playing such Gods without the whole superhero schtick around them! smile

Anyone?

I've sent a link to a copy of the book on my webspace to others. A brief note on the basics of the campaign.

Players will be (intially) divided into two Groups - one following an Angel, the other following a Fallen Angel. After the prologue, these two groups will merge together to form a single group.

There are no general restrictions on Estates except that for which is already stated in the book (ie no Estates of miraculous concepts), but I do reserve veto rights. A GM needs to be comfortable as well!

Standard chargen rules will apply.

I will be attempting to run the game to the intention of the system, which is more social-conflict-based than physical-conflict-based.

Once I have enough confirmed players, I will begin posting Micellanea on the board itself.

Well...

The Angels and Fallen Angels are both Universal in what Domains may fall under them - The Domains held by either appear through all Creation. The question, really, is How you wish to view Secrets - Are Secrets a thing of Beauty, or a Corrupted thing?

And of course, your Noble themself will have their own view on the matter, so the code you follow does not necessarily have to be the one that their Imperator follows.

In short, would you like to serve under an Angel, or a Fallen Angel?

My feeling is conflicted...here's why.

Secrets are associated with darkness, because they are hidden, or forbidden knowledge. Things not revealed. But they are also a form of knowledge. Keeping secrets is often done out of fear, and can be destructive, which seem dark...

But secrets can't exist without someone to keep them. Thus, you can't be all about destroying humanity. If there's no people, there's no secrets.

I liken secrets to shadows...they are dark, but are cast by light. In fact, Shadow would be a cool secondary domain.

Affiliationwise, I think Wild is more appropriate. As for Angelic or Fallen...I don't know. I could see it going either way, even switching sides as needed.

Does that help? smile

I've chosen Death as my Domain and Light as my Affiliation. I'm still trying to understand how to formulate proper associations with Death as a Domain. My inspiration comes from Death created by Neil Gaiman - she is one of the Endless. A graphic novel I can only recommend reading (or any Neil Gaiman for that matter).

I will share more as I progress reading the book.

Death of the Endless is all about the transition from life to death...she's about endings, and beginnings. So she wouldn't have resonance with a lot of the imagery traditionally associated with death deities...no skulls or decay or any of that.

But I guess you'd know all that. smile

yes I do - I thought it would be interesting to choose Light as her Affiliation since her aspect is rather positive imho.

Something like a kind and understanding mother. Peace, solace and coming home are one of the many associations I have but I don't know if they're applicable. I'm still reading btw wink

Okay, so currently we have:

The Power of Death (Light)

The Power of Secrets (?)

Drew's Noble?

Hopefully we'll get at least one more - that way we'll have two starting Groups of two, which is nice and containable.

And SalmonMax? Well, You don't necessarily have to choose a side, but if you don't I may well choose for you, since you'll be stuck with one Imperator or the other >:)

I'm thinking a Power of Stories would be cool. Wild, and on the side of Heaven. He's dedicated to spreading chaos and shaking things up with gossip and fable, but his belief that "Beauty is truth and truth is beauty" falls more in line with Heaven than Hell.

The rules themselves are not overly clear on what, exactly, it can do. I think that Shapeshifing into, say, an animal, would allow you to perform appropriate actions (like flying, or scratching with claws) as a mundane action (these, of course, will be easily countered by miracles with enough penetration). It would also allow for Aspect Miracle ratings to be based on the form you're in, rather than the human model (so, something that would normally be Aspect 3 might go down to Aspect 1 or 2, instead).

I'd probably view it on a case-by-case basis, but I'd state that, as it's usually purchased as a Lesser Change of Self, that the new form would be able to use Aspect Miracles based on that form.

On another note, I am going to leave openings for people who wish to sign up until this Friday. On Saturday, I'll arrange people as they are. If it's only the three of you by Friday, I might just throw you all into the one group, and make the other group NPCs, just because the three of you actually make a really coherant group, with Death, Secrets and Stories...

For those three of you currently in, I'd like the character sheets and character profiles by this Sunday at the latest.

I hate to say this, but I think I have to step down from this one. I'm not getting beyond a general idea of the character and the game and lack the time to get into a new system I'm completely unfamiliar with.

Maybe I join at a later point, once I've found the time to actually understand the games mechancis, concepts and setting.

Sorry about that and have fun.

Joani

Joani: Cool, no problems, thanks for letting me know.

SalmonMax: Are you still interested in playing? When do you think you can get a Character Sheet to me?

Malachite: Sure, I'll send you a PM with the PDF link ASAP.

Drew: Umm... Yeah. Hopefully we'll still get this off the ground, just hold tight, k?

Everyone: Okay, assuming that Malachite is willing to play, we at least have enough people around to start dealing with Imperator and Chancel Creation. I'll set up those threads now, and when I get sheets off the two other players, We'll deal with Chancel Points then (but otherwise, people can flesh out the basics). Imperators... Well, we can start doing everything about that now.

Here's hoping for some action!

Guest Anonymous

Hey, is it too late to get into the game? A've wanted to play Nobilis for a long time but it's like a curse with these games - they tend to end before even starting. :P

Sorry for the lack of talk over the weekend, got busy very suddenly.

Anony: PM me with details, I'll be happy to let you in.

Malachite: I still need to talk with you about a few things, but am stranded without my Gmail at work, so I'll talk to you about stuff tonight. But do feel free to go forwards with the group chargen stuff.

Max: Don't suppose I can impose a deadline of Wednesday for you? Like to get this started reasonably soon laugh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of posting everyone, I sprained my ankle later on in the week, and have not been around internet since that point, since I've been staying at my boyfriend's place (he's on the ground floor, I'm on level 2. Going to my place on a sprained ankle is kinda daunting, really).

Hopefully I'll be getting back to work tomorrow, and I'll be able to talk to you guys then. smile

Archived