Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - BESM Miniseries- In the Shadows of the City

Justin OOC

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, when I glanced through the skill rules before I did Jim I thought it said a Skill level of 2-3 was professional level, which is why Jim is only at lvl 1 in his skills, but we seem to have a lot of proffesional level 16 year olds here! smile

Obviously a high pressure school! smile

That still doesn't explain at least two people with Body ratings of 7... that's two teenagers in the same school who are well beyond the adult human average, and these are only high school students. Justin seems cool with it, so I'm not going to complain outside of this post, but I'm picky about wanting things to make sense. Every time I make a character, for every stat/skill, I ask myself, "Why?" Why does this character need this skill? Why would she be able to do this? Why is she so wealthy at such a young age? Why does she know how to speak Esperanto? Why does she regenerate? etc. If I can't come up with a reasonable answer beyond, "Because I want it," I don't do it. I also try to remember what the numbers actually mean.

(I know, I know. "Pretendy Fun Time Games, Vivi!" "It's Anime." "Y'know, not everyone enjoys that style of play/creation." It still bugs the heck out of me, because it's hard for me to suspend my disbelief here sometimes.:P)

Well remember too that this is a magical awakening.

Maybe before all the weirdness started, they were more normal...but then they found they could fight longer, jump higher, lift more...in addition to the "powers" they have.

Just a thought.

In theory I shouldn't allow you all stats higher than 3, 4 at most to be true teenagers.

I am however following an interpretation of a law of anime here. Always send a boy to do a man's job, he'll get it done in half the time and twice the angst. (This is known as the Gundam Pilot Effect)

I think generally in multiples of five in this system because nominally it encourages it. The high body characters are also very physical, and thus can say they have been training hard to get there. No one has a high mind stat, so we have no geniuses in the group, but we have several with a high soul stat. Soul governs luck, social graces and both a person's lifeforce and strength of will.

I am doing my best to go over each sheet.

As a note, you do not have to post your items publicly It's likely nobody but you would know what they do, thus not required. You may choose to do so if you wish.

With my limited power resources at the moment I think Jim could only manage a pistol grenade launcher with 3 shots at WL 10 that would effect all Oni (only) within a 30m radius Area out to a Range of 1km.

WL10 =20 + 4 for Area + 3 for Range -1 for Exclusive (common) - 2 for Ammo (3 shots) = 24pts halved for Item = 12 Flux points

But it would be the only weapon he could create for that fight/minute.

Would that suit you Kaori?

Sorry Rev, no pen/paper handy and needed to check I could actually do it in the points I have. As it happens I'd have to reduce it to WL9 to take the Multidimensional extra to effect the Oni. I'll try remember not to give any details unless asked in the future. smile

Been thinking about weapons from shows he could try to duplicate while learning how to use his power. Jaffar Force Staff and Gaould (sp?) hand weapon were first to mind after the obvious lightsabre and Starwars blasters. Any other suggestions?

I'd have to reserve comment on that until I found out what your power is... smile

However, do bear in mind that I ended up spending 45pts on the power to create any weapon that will fit within 12 flux pts.

I wonder how powerful Ken's Companion Lindh is as well?

I think that, even within your power's parameters, and regardless of what you spent to acquire it, that an individuals personal item should be outside you character's ability to duplicate.

Onimaru is an example. You might be able to make a blade that look like it, but never should it possess any of Onimaru's powers simply because what you've created is not Onimaru, just a duplicate forged from your mind that knows nothing of it's capabilities (witnessed or not).

I quite agree, I might be able to create something that looked like Kaori's sword with whatever powers I gave it within my limits, but not duplicate your sword. Even then it wouldn't be an exact duplicate, only as good as Jim's observation of the item.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so it's logged. wink

[Long6] 11:24 pm: The old Man speaks in whatever language the listener calls native

[Long6] 11:25 pm: it's weird but everyone knows what he's saying even when he speaks German to Skye, and English to Jo

[Long6] 11:25 pm: and later Rorx

[skyLion] 11:25 pm: is it just me or does anyone else think the list of natures available in the core abby rulebook is a bit limited?

[Long6] 11:25 pm: and now it's time for me to rest since I have to be at work at 6

[Velvet] 11:26 pm: Cool. That simplifies things... Though, admittedly, I was considering having Jo "learn" Japanese by listening to Kazuo, so she ends up knowing

only really awful, vulgar words and phrases, and using the (inappropriate) male variants.

[Long6] 11:26 pm: see y'all tomorrow night

[Velvet] 11:26 pm: SL: Even the book says they're just guidelines.

[Velvet] 11:26 pm: Night, Long!

[Revenant] 11:26 pm: (23:26:15) ChatBot: (Dave) rolls 2d6 and gets 6,5.

[Long6] 11:26 pm: Velvet that

[Long6] 11:26 pm: is so awesome I won't even charge you for it

[Velvet] 11:27 pm:    :D

Archived