Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - BESM Miniseries- In the Shadows of the City

Justin OOC

Ok, I've been thinking about doing this. It is in no way related to Nexus Earth, and will be much shorter. If there's no interest I won't worry.

This game will be darker, grittier and much more real life based. You will effectively be normal people who happen to get some sort of special power, and have to deal with some really dark and sinister stuff.

The premise is that the characters are students, perhaps one teacher at a highschool in Tokyo and have normal regular lives. This all changes when rumors of zombies, demons and other monsters start getting passed around the city. The Police and officials deny everything and cover it all up to keep the general populace from panicking.

during the first few weeks where the rumors start your characters would each develop one special ability. Then a strange man gathers you together and informs you you have been chosen to become warriors in the fight to defend this world from the creatures beyond the Shadow.

Character Creation

225 pts

-no dynamic powers

-only powerflux creation, or skill flux will be allowed.

-power flux will be allowed, but anything created will not be permanent.

-only one special power will be allowed per character.

*Things that do not count as special powers*

Tough

Energy bonus

Extra attack (limit 1)

Extra defense (limit 1)

Many of the options for Features.

melee attack

melee defense

ranged attack

ranged attack

Attack combat mastery

Defense combat Mastery

Combat Technique

Massive Damage

Wealth

Organizational ties

Aura of Inspiration

Divine Releationship

*All charcters recieve 5 free ranks of resistance

A further note, just to encourage diversity. I will provide each character with some form of archaic weapon, or modern item, (the player's choice) to help them deal with the supernatural enemies they'll be forced to deal with. Firearms in general are useless against the enmies here, save for buying time or pissing them off.

As another note, I will not be using shock value for this game.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I whipped this up. Never made a BESM PC before, the template is a High School student and avid Kendo practitioner.

Stats-

Body: 5

Mind: 3

Soul: 6

Total = 140

Attributes-

Combat Technique 9 (Blind Fighting, Critical Strike, Hardboiled, Judge Opponent, Leap Attack, Lightning Reflexes, Multiple Targets, Precise Aim, Two Weapons) +18

Extra Actions 1 +15

Features (Appearance) 3 +3

Weapon 10 (Accurate +3, Penetrating +3, Vampiric +4) +10

Melee Attacks (Sword) 4 +12

Melee Defence (Sword) 4 +12

Skill: Acrobatics 2 +6

Skill: Cultural Arts 3 +3

Skill: Domestic Arts 2 +2

Skill: Etiquette 2 +2

Special Movement 1 (Zen Direction) +2

Total = 105

TOTAL : 225

Defects =

Girl/Guy Magnet -1

Skeleton In The Closet -2

Defects were 'free', meaning I didn't accept the +3 points for taking them, I thought they'd be better for RP than anything else.

Hey Justin, any feedback on James?

As for a weapon, go for a katana again, but given his power perhaps this one should have some defensive and/or healing/regen type powers rather than Inazuma's blasting/damage abilities.

Presumably he can produce some minor normal weapons/armour/gear with his power?

Justin, my pdf of 3rd ed specifically states that he can create temp objects from thin air with the 12pt version. It goes on to say that they can be worth up to 2cp per level in Transmutation, so in his case 2cp! smile

If you are using different rules thats fine, tell me what power he should have to do that, and if he can't afford the new one I'll find a new power for him.

That's because we haven't been on a lot of skill based situations I guess. But then again, a lot of the skills are very very specific on setting, the issue here is that we all got real world skills and then got sent to space >_> Go figure why we never use them.

There will be more real life situations in this, but there will be alot of combat. As I have stated in talks with my NE players, if you have the skill at a level I think is sufficent for the task, I require no roll. If it is below the value i think required I ask for a roll.

Having skills means you get a sort of free hand doing things using them, provided your task doesn't get to extreme.

There will be no trips to space in this. The Underworld perhaps... but not Space.

Looking at a "light-based" character...holy radiance. Healing and blasts...one of them via device.

Personality is still evolving. I'm wavering between peppy and cheerful and completely optimistic...and naive/innocent, sheltered and even a bit sappy...

More to come as I work it out.

my bad for not being around yesterday. My Internet Died horribly around 5 and I didn't have access the rest of the night.

The game should be starting sometime between Sunday and Wednesday. If you want the bonus CP for your character sheets and pics you need to have them finished no later than tuesday.

Archived