Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 11: Unexpected travellers along the path

Mr Fox

Genesis nodded to himself in as if he suddenly understood. "I see. Let me guess, you were the one who invited your friends to come here?" Seeing the expressions on peoples faces, "I see that I am correct."

He took a bite of pineapple and sat back in his chair savoring it for a moment then said, "We have quite a bit to cover then I see. Let me start by saying that your surmise before was correct to a degree, but only to a degree." He looked to the original members of the crew, "That was Our home timeline of origin, but your own actions there would not have effected causality. We long ago took precautions against having Our existence nullified. The reason you were exiled from your home timeline was related to why we became known as Watchers there. I warn you it is a long tale, but perhaps it will give you all perspective for me to relate it to you now...." Looking at the group he gestured again at the food, "Please feel free to eat."

With those words he sat back in his own chair and completely forgot about the food on his plate as he began to speak with with a wink, "A long long time ago, in the 1960s, a boy was born. As you know, on your timeline the nova gene was part of humanity and soon to become open knowledge. The boy grew up, N-day happened and the boy, now a man, loved the golden age of the Novas and all it's wonders. One day something occurred that caused the man to erupt. It was not a normal eruption." Genesis smiled and continued, "In relative time that was nearly four million years ago to Us. I tell you this to help you understand just how far removed We are from that point of origin."

"When I say the eruption was not normal, I mean that in several senses. It was not caused by normal stimulus, it was caused by a quantum experiment at the company he worked for that went horribly wrong. At the moment of the accident, the man was working the night shift and being bored, he was watching a movie on the television... Groundhog Day. When he awoke the man was no longer a man, but a boy again, reliving his own past, and that was the second unusual thing about his eruption, time manipulation is a very rare gift among novas to begin with, but manipulation to the extent of moving backwards in time over a period of over 20 years is unheard of in Our experience. Add to that, the final oddity, the man was now a nova his own past body with all the memories of what was to come over the next 20 something years. Other than nova physiology he displayed no nova powers at all, at first. Over the next few decades he worked in secret to develop his own potential and wealth. Twenty years of foreknowledge is a very formidable financial advantage. I could tell you about how We worked summer jobs and invested everything in Microsoft, or how We quit school and earned several degrees by the time peers were graduating High School, but the details are not really important. The key thing is that one of the powers that did emerge over was related to time. Precognition. We could see that the future was not bright and that a war would come that would either doom all of the human race, or at best, would result in the deaths of billions before hostilities faded. Our intelligence was expanded to a degree and We realized that there was no way we could prevent the war in the time remaining. So we developed our unique ability to travel through time and we decided to make the time needed to prevent the war. We traveled back deep into the past to the quiet time long before the human race was fully developed.

Looking at Morgan and Omar, "You discovered Our ancient home in Africa, where We spent many thousands of years in contemplation and experimentation. Over that time We developed a philosophy of non-interference, based mostly on fear of compromising Our own existence. It wasn't until ages had past and We began traveling the multiverse that We confirmed our understanding in causality and realized that Our own actions could not have caused any paradox. By then however, We had committed to preserving that timeline and observing without interference all that occurred, up to the point where the Aberrant war was concluded. Unfortunately, you four and your friends, had discovered evidence of Our existence and that evidence itself would have caused change that We had spent over three and a half million years trying to prevent. We are sorry for exiling you from your own timeline, but after so long to have Our plans disrupted was deemed unacceptable. We could have simply erased your memories, but one of Our tenets is free will. Over the time We have lived we have amassed such power and knowledge that We can warp reality itself, but the one thing that We absolutely refuse to do is to override another sentient being's free will. To us that is the greatest evil."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You're clones," Meredith says, trying to get a handle on what Genesis was saying. "Like Andrew, only...more permanent. That's why you keep on going with the 'our, 'we,' 'us,' stuff."

Then she frowns. "But no, because that wouldn't explain..."

She shakes her head. "Alright...so basically you're saying that in the line they're from, a guy erupted as a nova and shifted himself backwards in time twenty years from eruption. He lived those years over, with full memories, and gained enough power to freely travel in time. So then he went back to prehistoric times. These guys found you out, so you banished them out of the timeline so they couldn't use that knowledge or make it public or any of that."

"And since you're now four million years old, in your own frame of reference..." Meri frowns. "What about taint? And...what about me? Where do I fit into this? How can I be one of you, but NOT one of you?"

Omar was stunned into silence. The realization that their discovery of the Watcher's existence in eons past, was the reason for their banishment, forced him to bit his tongue. It was hard for him to disagree with the Watcher's actions from the reason given. In the same situation, with similar morals, Omar would have done the same thing.

He started to understand what Lorien might be. She was a tool for traveling into the past. Maybe even the same vessel the Watchers used to go back some 4 million years. Now that they knew the seriousness of the non-interference policy of the watchers, surely the Watchers would help them back to their own time. Omar knew very well, that the young man he pledged to raise as his own, was waiting for him there. He still had a duty to fulfill, even after living a century on another earth.

Steve commented,

"When you went into the past you got the time to grow slowly. No fighting other novas, no corporate duties, that plus non intervention meant you didn't stress your powers. Slow and steady growth let you avoid the taint trap."

Steve thought, *One question answered, we're not him. But with infinite power comes, what?, boredom?*

Genesis smiled broadly and everyone felt the warm and appreciation that smile brought, "Very perceptive Meridith. Alone, three and a half million years in Earth's past was very lonely. It wasn't long before We developed the ability to clone Ourself. And I apologize about the odd emphasis on We and Our, but it is part of Our culture. Obviously, having only yourself to speak to even as a clone isn't an ideal situation. You already know everything you have to say after all."

Looking over at Steve he nodded, "Yes, before We went into the past We saw both with Our own eyes and Our visions of the possible futures what taint would do. In the past We explored Our powers very slowly and mastered each before moving to another. It took centuries to reach a point where We no longer needed to fear taint. We never developed an actual cure, We simply outgrew it as a difficulty and were able to alter Our own nature so that taint did not accrue." He looked back at Meri and continued, "How are you one of Us but not exactly like me being a clone?"

He chuckled and gestured and an image of the cave in Africa appeared, in it were several people, all obviously novas, no two looked anything alike, yet somehow there was a sameness about them, they moved about the cave doing mundane things, preparing a meal, reading, painting, practicing various quantum abilities. "Before We ever learned to clone ourselves We were able to change our shapes. In the mastery of those abilities however, came insights that allowed Us to go beyond what others have done. Unlike Andrew's clones, we need never recombine with the original and we also have the ability to create our own. In changing our shape, we can do so with permanence. But more fundamentally, as the years past, maintaining separate shapes We did develop separately. Andrew may be able to understand what We mean... after a time the clone is no longer really a clone, they become an individual, while still maintaining a connection to all of the rest of Us." The image in the cave advanced and the people changed and became more distinct and somehow that sense of sameness was no longer there. The people in the image now seemed like individuals, they no longer seemed to move as if anticipating each others actions.

"Over time the clone lives a separate life and no longer resembles the parent in any way. We have become a race of beings that sprang from a single source. However, and I believe this will answer your question Meridith, when we have spent enough time apart We meet with others of Our kind and share our experiences with each other. In this way we grow and become more than any one individual ever could. I do not know why you are in the form you are or what your specific past was like, but that is the point of what we do and who we are, as time passes we share those memories and are enriched by the experience."

"No," Meri replies, shaking her head. "That still doesn't follow. I was born on Earth. I had a family. I wasn't even a Nova most of my life. If I was just some...some...self-willed clone, even shapeshifted, those things wouldn't be true. Not to mention, I don't have any abilities to change my shape or to clone myself."

"There's something else going on here, Genesis. You yourself say you're all individuals...so if you don't meet one of yourself, there's no way to tell what they're all doing out there, right? You really have no way of knowing what -all- the iterations of yourself are doing."

She frowns. "But since we were told to come here, there must be a reason."

"That's right. I do not know what all of Us are doing. However, all of us do know what all our 'parents' knew, or those we have Shared with, that includes knowledge of the timelines that have been settled by us. Also, keep in mind that time is a malleable thing to Us. You could well be my own child for all I know, and I mean that in either sense of the word. You could be a clone that I spun off sometime in my own future, or you could be a biological child. Just because We spin off clones doesn't mean we don't also reproduce the old fashioned way if we choose. That's not to say that you are, you could just as easily be one of Us who happens to know of Our existence here and thought this would be a suitable place to meet. In fact, this timeline is a hub of sorts much like the original homeline from which your group started their journey. Since Lorean was banned from returning you there this is the most likely place for you to come, which is why We expected that you would arrive eventually. I mentioned that this is a hub or sorts, there are currently 12 of Us here. As far as the natives of this Earth know there is only Genesis, but any of Us could fill my role at need."

He smiled at Meri and focused his full attention on her, "Just because you were physically born on a particular timeline does not mean you are not one of Us. We live out many lives on many different timelines just for the experience of it. Whatever you may believe, as one of Us you chose to live the life you have lived and buried somewhere within you is the knowledge you needed to come here. I don't know your specific circumstances or why you've made the choices you have, but neither will I interfere with them. At some time in your future you will come into the full knowledge of who you are, or perhaps you will feel a pull to come to others of your kind and Share your experiences and embrace ours as well. As for being born, We can make it so if We choose, the memories of your past before your birth are still there and you will be able to access them when you are ready. We often restrict Our knowledge to what could be known by the persona We are assuming, how else could We really experience that life if We had all the knowledge of four million years of previous existence."

(OOC: you detect no lies in his words.)

Meredith's shoulders sag under the weight of Genesis' words, and she turns away, unable to bear looking at him anymore. She's suddenly glad she hasn't eaten anything yet, because her stomach is now roiling and clenching...and she can feel the crawling sensation that means her flesh is changing without meaning to. Flicking wildly from metal to stone to sand and back to skin, only to skitter to other things.

It was, in most ways that mattered, the confirmation of her worst fears.

There was no Meredith Summers. She was a fiction. A character being played by something, someone, immeasurably greater. Someone who was enjoying the game for now, but would eventually decide enough was enough...and then there'd be no more Meri.

Now she wished her memories were fake. The fact that they weren't fake just made it all the more painful to realize how fake SHE was. A doll that thought she was alive, living as if she was...a cosmic joke.

She has to grab onto the windowsill to hold herself up for a moment as a wave of faintness passes over her. That followed by a wave of hate. Hate at her greater self. The cruelty of sending them here, knowing what she'd learn. Why didn't she just let Meri go on thinking she was real? Wasn't it enough that she could come back any time? Why torture her by showing her that sword dangling over her head? What possible point was there in bringing her here?

And just like that, Meredith realized.

Time means nothing to them.

She whirled to put the window at her back and gazed at Genesis with a wild glint in her eyes.

"Where are the others? You said there were twelve others here. Where are they? I want to see them."

Joani smiled sarcastically and said without really giving it much thought, "This is like that movie they made way back with you", she pointed at Genesis, "being the Architect and Meri the Chosen One. I wonder who's the Oracle? Talking about a cosmic joke. I hope your next speech won't give us that "It's all about what you choose to do" crap. You've been playing with us from the very beginning and forgot the most important thing on that road which you've travelled so far.", she shook her head and sighed.

"I don't think that you understand what freedom means. At least not what it means to me."

Genesis turned his attention to Joani and his empathy was nearly palpable as he spoke, "I'm sorry, but I don't know what you are referring to, and I am afraid I wouldn't have any idea what freedom means to you personally. You are entirely a stranger to me since you were not part of the original crew. I sense you've suffered a great hurt and I hate to see that in any being. If there is anything within my power and that does not violate the Code that I can do to help I will do so gladly."

Turning the same sympathetic expression on Meri, "The same is true for you sister. Adjustment to the truth of your greater self can be difficult when discovered out of turn and suddenly the way it appears you have."

After Steve's thought projections he adds, "Meridith is the only one of you who is one of Us, though, We would welcome in others to Our society should they be capable of joining and show the desire to do so. One does not have to be a clone or a child of Our biological bodies to join Us."

Sudden understanding spread on Genesis' face. "That is possible. I warn you however, not to get your hopes up too high about meeting yourself. If you are here, it will be your own past, and you will be in their future, he or she may not be able to answer all your questions, including the big one; Why." His smile became a bit wiry, "Understand also, that I could be your past self. With Us form and gender are not set in stone, Our ability to change Our shape long ago erased the deep seated attachment to gender that you are accustomed to. Since my own 'birth' I have worn both genders and switched between them many times over the millennia. You may have been sent here because it was where your companions needed to be, but we will explore with you any possibility of your past or future self if you like."

Meredith shakes her head firmly.

"No, I saw her. She...appeared. A sort of projection around me. We have it recorded. I'll recognize her if I see her. And she doesn't necessarily have to from the past. A future self could have come back. And even if it IS the past, she might know what she's planning to do, and why."

"Anyway, even if not...that's not really the big thing I need to ask her."

She turns to look at the others. "I...if you guys want to stay and eat, I can wait. I'd join in, but I'm reeeeeally not hungry right now. I mean, I don't get hungry anymore, but right now I'm -really- not hungry."

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
After Steve's thought projections he adds, "Meridith is the only one of you who is one of Us, though, We would welcome in others to Our society should they be capable of joining and show the desire to do so. One does not have to be a clone or a child of Our biological bodies to join Us."
Steve smiles and says,

"Ask me again in a million years or so." *I'd rather get their on my own I think.*

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
Meredith shakes her head firmly.

"No, I saw her. She...appeared. A sort of projection around me. We have it recorded. I'll recognize her if I see her. And she doesn't necessarily have to from the past. A future self could have come back. And even if it IS the past, she might know what she's planning to do, and why."

"Anyway, even if not...that's not really the big thing I need to ask her."

She turns to look at the others. "I...if you guys want to stay and eat, I can wait. I'd join in, but I'm reeeeeally not hungry right now. I mean, I don't get hungry anymore, but right now I'm -really- not hungry."
Steve says,

"Meri, I think without Mike's intervention you would have lived your whole life and only changed back after you died."

*I don't know whether that's true or just a comforting lie...*

Kyria did as she usually did when around the Paragons so far: she sat back, watched, and waited for a moment in which she could do anything useful. Sensing that moment she approached Meri.

"I'll go with you if you want. I'd like you to think on something though: even if you-as-Meredith are one lifetime in a long line of lifetimes of your...soul, I guess...does that really matter? Right now you are -you-. You are the Being Meredith. Right now you are -being- Meredith. Even if you future or past or whatever self is here and can tell you why they chose to become you, does that make you any more or less -you- right now?" She smiled at Meredith; she liked their newest addition to the group, and not only because it was pleasant to have someone else around that also didn't have decades of experience with the rest of the group. "I'm not saying don't ask. I'm not saying do or don't do anything. I just think that before you go looking for absolution or decide that your whole life has been -any- sort of cosmic joke, that you give it some thought."

All the talk about past selves and future selves was confusing to Omar. How were any of them to be sure of anything if they could be manifestations of Watchers? That genesis told them Merideth was the only watcher present was no consolation. Omar needed to know more.

He finally speaks to Genesis. "What difference does it make if we were part of Lorien's original crew or not?" He stared at the man, not in awe like the others, but with intense scrutiny. "What I mean is...I know we discovered your original home and were banished for that knowledge, but aren't we no different than the others?"

"No difference except for the fact that we were expecting you of the original group to come to us some day when you were ready. We knew you might add others along your journey, but we couldn't know specifically who they might be. Meri here is the only one of you that is 'different', but even in her case it is only in the sense that her soul, as Kyria says, is that of a watcher."

Meredith shuts her eyes for a second and takes a deep breath. They were only trying to help. She gives the others an apologetic look.

"I'm not looking for absolution, Kyria, and Steve...I appreciate it, but you don't know that. Neither do I. There's only one person who might, and I just want to talk to her."

She looks at Genesis.

"I'm more than happy to go by myself. Just show me which way to go."

As usual Steve's thoughts race and with the new information a question appears, and with it the answer. Steve says,

"Time Travel and time line navigation existed before Lorean was created."

Steve pauses, continuing might pain Lorean, but he judges she'll figure it out for herself sooner or later and decides to do it with everyone present. He watches her closely and says,

"So if you didn't need her, why create her? The answer is you didn't. Infinite power and infinite time lead to an endless battle against boredom."

"Thus endless experimentation with shapeshifting, and not just into different humans. You tried shifting, no, actually 'becoming' animals or aliens, but with the stipulation that it end after you die."

"So one of you shifted into her, but Lorean is immortal. Even after her sister was damaged she didn't shift back, and you either couldn't or wouldn't impose a new pattern on her."

"Lorean, I think you're a watcher. Or at least you started out as one."

Genesis' expression conveyed approval, "Yes Steve. Lorean is one of Us, and you are correct ennui is the greatest enemy, the one thing we cannot just wave a hand and make disappear. Immortality and infinite power is wonderful in its way, but those first two or three hundred years alone in that cave was almost Our undoing. We avoided taint, but isolation alone nearly cost Us our sanity." He turned to Lorean and smiled his warming smile that left everyone in the room feeling a residual good cheer, "Sister, We welcome you back and look forward to the Sharing."

Lorean looked stunned and amazed by the revelation. "I... we had no idea. Of course we will join you in Sharing, but you will have to explain what that is since we don't have any memory of our previous self."

Genesis was focused on Lorean, but it was obvious that he spoke for the benefit of everyone present and a quick glance to Meri indicated that she should listen as well, "The Sharing is a ceremony that We perform whenever one of Our own come back to us after a prolonged absence, or after experiencing some significant event or emotional experience. It is one of the ways that We prevent the boredom from overcoming us. During the Sharing, We merge and all Our experiences as separate beings are combined, that way nothing of Our selves is ever lost. After the Sharing We separate and become again the individuals We were before, but with the increased knowledge and experience, as if We had had lived the events. The Sharing can also be a way of ceasing to exist when one of us becomes too overwhelmed by the endless years, they merge and do not separate afterwards." There was a touch of sadness in his voice at that last statement. His voice became cheerful again, "It is also the way someone not born of our biology or cloning can become one of us. Only a few individuals have ever expressed such a desire or followed through with it once they began walking the path."

Finally he turned to Meri, "I will open a doorway for you. You will be met by one of Us in the pyramid and they can help you find your other self. Fulfilling Journeys sister." The last statement had the sound of a benediction, and then a literal doorway appeared in the air before Meri.

Andrew is speechless for a while. Clones. Clones with enough power to never fade. Could this happen to me someday? "So you do not share a communal mind then?" Andrew blurted out the question teen turned red as he realized the rather random nature of it. "Because I do understand what you mean but I, we, whatever, my clones and I maintain a communal mind, our memories and experience are never separate. Does that imply that my clones could never become truly individual? How does your Sharing ceremony not rob you all of your individuality?"

"No, We do not share a communal mind. The reason We developed the ability to clone was out of loneliness, being communal would mean that the clones would never develop individual personalities. We would be something more akin to an ant colony or bee hive if We had remained totally interlinked. Our abilility to live new lives would not be possible nor anywhere nearly so enjoyable."

Genesis looked with understanding at Andrew, "In order for your clones to become individual, they must have individual experiences, otherwise you all grow and change in the same way at the same time. As for the Sharing, We incorporate those memories and they do influence us but only to a small degree, We maintain Our own personalities afterward. It is an ability We developed long ago. It is also one reason few have ever decided to join and become one with Us. It takes a great strength of personality not to lose ones self in the Sharing."

Genesis shook his head, "No, that was already inherent in the human race, or We would not have existed ourselves. It is something We can do however, and it is something We might do at some point to see what would happen if humanity came into those powers either earlier or later. Interestingly, we have witnessed all of what you know to be human history and in those timelines with nova potential some advanced individuals began emerging as long as 5 thousand years in your past. Some of the pharoh's, some of the greek gods, some gods from other pantheons, Merlin; they were weak early novas or psions who showed some potential. Their stories grew over time and far outshined the reality of who they really were, but their legends were based in some truth. Hercules had some low nova level strength, Zeus had the ability to cast bolts of quantum energy in the form of electricity, Mercury was faster than human norm. None of them were more than what would be considered in your times very minor novas, but for their time even that much made them gods in the tales of their descendants."

(NOT broadcast over the link or hinted at by Steve's body language)

Steve thinks, *Interesting. That otherwise normally human races exist without the potential implies, as does the theory of evolution, that someone did something at some point in the past. Not Genesis obviously but someone.*

Meredith lingers in the room for a moment, watching and listening to the conversation. After a moment she realizes she's temporizing. Easier to stay on the fringes, keep quiet and listen than it was to take action and risk.

But she'd come all this way, only to find out that she was basically some kind of an independent clone of a millions-of-years-old primordial nova. There was even a mad sort of sense to the idea. After all, when you reached the limit of personal power, where was there left to go?

The 'clones' weren't like Andrew; weren't just constructs of quantum energy. They were more likely created using powers more like Meredith's own. Sculpting matter and energy into a new form, but able to somehow bring the body to life. Once alive, the new mind could be created telepathically. Presto. The new 'self' would be just as real as the original. Its body and mind would have precisely the configuration that the creator desired, but from the moment of creation would develop independently.

And then there was herself, Meredith, who was essentially, according to Genesis, the mind and personality that one of these clones developed with when she reduced herself to an embryo (temporal distortion? biological regression?) and lived a normal human life...or as normal as one could be given the circumstances of her world. But there was a 'seed' in her that contained the Watcher's self...undoubtedly it would be what allowed her to recover following 'death,' and resume her pre-Meredith self. It would probably also exert subtle influence on her psychological development, ensuring that if she didn't die, she'd eventually develop into a nearly identical self...and then at some point there'd be no need for a distinguishment to be made between pre-Meredith and post.

But then...what was the point of it? That, more than anything, is what she wanted to know from her Watcher. Why bother making this life, this mind, this self...if it was only ever going to wind up back where it started?

There was only one person to answer that to her satisfaction. Meredith stepped through the portal to seek that person out.

Joani was speechless. She stared at Genesis and felt her inner turmoil rise again. Sighing heavily she forced herself to remain calm and shake off the emotional struggle she was going through. Joani slowly approached her husband and carefully took his hand her eyes reflecting how she felt inside. Right now she didn’t see any improvement to her situation, if not things just got a little worse.

Andrew nods, his own "hive mind" ensured that he was fully aware of all that went on around any and all of his constructs. Still he found himself wondering just how powerful Genesis must have been to have created what could best be described as "perfect clones", that is clones without a duration, clones not in any way linked to the parent after creation. "Fascinating," he muttered as he meditated on the possibilities.

Quote:
Genesis was focused on Lorean, but it was obvious that he spoke for the benefit of everyone present and a quick glance to Meri indicated that she should listen as well, "The Sharing is a ceremony that We perform whenever one of Our own come back to us after a prolonged absence, or after experiencing some significant event or emotional experience. It is one of the ways that We prevent the boredom from overcoming us. During the Sharing, We merge and all Our experiences as separate beings are combined, that way nothing of Our selves is ever lost. After the Sharing We separate and become again the individuals We were before, but with the increased knowledge and experience, as if We had had lived the events. The Sharing can also be a way of ceasing to exist when one of us becomes too overwhelmed by the endless years, they merge and do not separate afterwards." There was a touch of sadness in his voice at that last statement. His voice became cheerful again, "It is also the way someone not born of our biology or cloning can become one of us. Only a few individuals have ever expressed such a desire or followed through with it once they began walking the path."

Cody, having been absorbed in his own thoughts for so long, finally speaks up. he assumes quite naturally that Genesis will hear whatever is broadcast over the link.

*I understand. Something very similar occured on one of the timelines we most influenced. The gestalt was...exhilerating.*

Cody sends out his memory of the experience, although now he can only convey a small portion of the overwhelming experience.

Turning to Merideth (for he has found those unaccustomed to telepathy to be most comfortable when "addressed" within the context of biological norms) he sends.

*Do not be afraid Meri. I can tell you fear the loss of your individuality. You fear that when your "true" (and the subtext is clear that Cody is using the term as a relativism) self reemerges, that it will somehow nullify, lessen or cheapen who you are.*

*Nothing could be further from the truth. Have you heard the fable of the Emporerer and the Butterfly? A King once dreamed that he had transformed into a butterfly, and upon waking could not tell whether he had dremed it or if he was in fact, the butterfly dreaming himself to be a man. When you "find yourself" again, it will not be a loss, but a fullfillment. It will be joyous. A remembering of all that which you had forgotten. In that moment you will appreciate who you are now more than ever. And in that moment, I swear you will have the choice to return to this state if you wish. You have nothing to lose and an infinite to gain. And no one will force you to do anything.*

As he is sending, Cody has placed his hand upon her shoulder and the warmth that flows from him is both palpable and gentle. It is not the quantum trickery of Soothing, but the real transmission of empathic caring.

Quote:
Finally he turned to Meri, "I will open a doorway for you. You will be met by one of Us in the pyramid and they can help you find your other self. Fulfilling Journeys sister." The last statement had the sound of a benediction, and then a literal doorway appeared in the air before Meri.

*I too would like to join with you.* Cody extends his hand towards his love,

*Kyria, beloved. Would you join with me again in exploration? You are free to choose whatever Path you wish, but this, here, now, is the moment I have been waiting and searching for , for the better part of several lifetimes. Finally the quenching of my curiosity is at hand. My patience has born fruit of knowledge. There is noone with whom I would rather share this moment, if you so wish it...*

Whether or not she accepts, Cody will follow Meri through the door unto his Destiny.

Something has been nagging at the edge of Steve's mind it finally comes to the forefront and he asks,

"Genesis, did you 'find' this timeline, or 'create' it? Except for the 'no powers' part this line is exactly like home. It just occurred to me how far away this must be from our original one."

"I was thinking Lorean found it out of the infinity of the possible, but you mentioned experimentation with time and I just realized I'm not sure what that means."

"This was a natural timeline. We came here because it suited Our purposes." Genesis sampled another piece of some unrecognizable tropical fruit obviously savoring the flavor, then continued, "The experimentation is not just with time although that is by far the most common choice. We also create other realities to experience." He pointed to Morgan, "What is your favorite author?"

Morgan looked confused by the sudden switch of gears, and thought for a moment, "Well, I haven't really read for pleasure in a long time, but I guess my favorite when I was young was Tolkien. Why?"

Genesis smiled and gestured and a small light appeared in the air in front of Morgan. It expanded into a globe of soft reddish gold light which dimmed as it grew into a sphere a meter in diameter. As it took on it's final size more and more detail became apparent until it was like looking at a planet floating in the air. It was perfect in every detail, right down to the clouds moving sedately across the sky.

"Middle Earth. This is just an illusion of course, but we could make it reality if we chose. Some of our number have done this on occasion when mundane reality lost interest. Immortality is a very long time..."

Genesis chuckled at Steve's words. "I don't believe we have created a reality with elder gods wishing to devour humanity and reclaim the world. It wouldn't be a pleasant place." He became a bit more serious as he continued, "You are correct though, Middle Earth does have other natural laws and yes We have created it and explored it."

Middle Earth? Omar had heard Steve speak about Tolkien, but had never actually read anything by him. He wondered how many worlds they had created and if there were any that were familiar to him. After a few ponering moments, Omar realized that the chances were good and that one of them might be a great place to live. With his powers, he thought, he could be a powerful force for good and justice.

"Just how many of these fatasic worlds have been created?" Omar probed, smiling at Genesis. He found the man to knoweledgeable, but he was not as awe stricken as some of his comrads. It was probably due to recent changes he had felt inside him. His mind had been feeling like an unassailable basion of granite lately. He wondered if Cody could even plumb the depths of his mind. As for Genesis, he was not sure.

Archived