Mutants & Masterminds: Harmony City - The Best of a Bad Situation (complete)

314_Omega

"I am a nano-cellular colony." Omega stops and for the briefest moment looks perplexed. "That is no longer correct. I was once a nano-cellular colony but I have exceeded the capabilities I was programmed for. I do not know if that was the intent of my creator or what his intent was." Omega looks to Brightstar, "Were you told of my purpose? I am without directive save those that you and I have set." Despite the cold tone in its voice it seems as though Omega is almost troubled by the revelation.

"No, you write your own directives. You were listed as "research material" on the ship manifest."

Gabe stops them.

"So you're an alien, and you're somesort of "nanotech" science project?" There's some disbelief in his voice, but there's a sign of acceptance in his eyes.

"Then You taking Kallen's place would supply you with an actual identity. It gives you an alibi as well."

"What to do about your freind though is a mystery. Perhaps we could say he is some form of doctor for mutants? Do you have any means of healing others?"

Omega looked a the old man, "It would appear that I am indeed a 'science project'. I can only deduce that my programming was not complete. My creator may not have realized that the colony would achieve sentience as quickly as it did.

"As for healing; with great personal effort yes I can effect physical repairs, mending broken blood vessels and the like. It is however an inefficient process. My knowledge of this world and your people is still very limited, further research would be required for such a ruse to work."

"But it can work." He looks to Brightstar.

"My daughter is simply known as a mutant, not a monster, and you two get a place to stay. It works for all of us. Now we just have to come up with a convincing story."

Brightstar looks at Omega. "We are not giving up on going home. However this will be better than constantly moving around and this will allow you to assimilate knowledge about this world's culture. Besides this town has a large Collegiate campus, filled with knowledge of this world. There will of course be a library where you can read texts to your heart's content, in additon to ready access to this worlds Comm-net. Is that not better than the dribs and drabs we have endured for the last month?"

If Omega had understood the social meaning of a sigh it may very well have heaved one. "This is acceptable reasoning. However I do not believe it wise for me to attempt to pass myself off as a medical professional. My knowledge of this species biology and the pathology of their diseases is limited, there is only a 13% likelihood that my current knowledge would suffice."

"We will think of something else then."

She looks to Gabriel. "I assume you agree to this Gabriel."

You're going to have to call me "Dad, young lady, and get used to answering to the name "Kallen.""

She looks over to Omega. "Overwrite the part of your command that addresses me as Brightstar. I am Kallen Price now."

The next nine weeks flew by. Omega attended dozens of courses at the university, focusing especially on psychology and ethics courses in an attempt to understand the society it now found himself part of. With only a minimal need for sleep Omega spent its free time in the library reading books when unable to get onto one of the PCs and access the internet. What time it was left over Omega dedicated to quantifying its abilities both innate and learned. Over the weeks Omega perfected a variety of ways to manipulate its form to follow function. While it still had trouble interfacing with organics Omega felt it was only a matter of time and knowledge before he could heal and even interface with human minds as easily as he did most other things.

While Omega's relationships were at best rudimentary he had become know as an able repairman. As Brightstar and Gabe ate dinner one evening Omega worked on repairing and upgrading half a dozen MP3 Players. Arms flowed like quicksilver as the tiny machines were engulfed in a swarm of nanites that set to work repairing, rebuilding, and upgrading the devices. Omega was careful to make nothing better than the current technology of this world as he performed the tasks. Nearby the TV was turned to the national news as a story about Harmony City played.

Brightstar took to her new role as Kallen with gusto. She studied hard to finish learning the language and after a couple of weeks it was enough that she'd begin speaking in public. Some people thought her odd now that she was a mutant, some said she wasn't human and she chuckled ad how right they really were. All in all she definitely took advantage of being Kallen Price. Gabriel provided money when needed not that she asked for much. Her greatest expenses wer clothing and food. Both things made him smile though, the Real Kallen had been much the same.

He seemed to be a happier man now and often people would say how good it was that Gabriel was finally back to his old self. Ever since She'd been hurt he'd just seemed very off.

She didn't work, and Like Omega attended courses in cultural studies of of history, and got involved with several sports activities afterwards. She could not actively compete, but it was found that if someone could do well enough against her, They had a good chance of doing really well in a real competition.

She did all the things a young woman would and should do. It was a pleasant experience all around and after awhile she made the connection that since no ship had come yet, then it was likely none would come. She truly threw herself into being Kallen then.

She sat watching the news With Gabriel and Omega as he worked, and it Proclaimed how Harmony City was actively seeking superhuman heroes to help pacify the town and keep the peace.

She looked to Omega. "What do you think about that?"

Omega did not raise his head from his task but replied nonetheless, "I think it is a promising sign that a culture which contain so much intolerance is able to put aside fear and jealousy of its mutants to employ them to use their gifts for the greater good. These people seem to have strong cultural ethics although individuals and even groups may bypass or ignore them at times it would seem as though as the whole humanity is well on its way toward a meaningful peace." The last connection repaired he looked up, "Was that answer sufficient?"

"Are you suggesting that we travel to this place and seek employment as civil defenders?" Omega considers this for a second, a veritable æon for him before he continues, "It would seem a dangerous course of action. Our backgrounds would likely be extensively investigated as would our very selves. Would this not potentially also complicate matters when the rescue ship attempts retrieval?"

Omega pauses and imitates a very good thoughtful expression, "If you believe that rescue is no longer likely perhaps you are correct. If this world is to be our home we have everything to gain in making it a better place and providing a positive example for the indigenous peoples." He snaps the cover back onto the iPod and sets it down, "I would ... enjoy? ... having access to a larger culture base from which to study human interaction. It would appear that my early attempts have branded me as somewhat of an outcast here."

Brightstar nods, satisfied with the answer. She looks to Gabriel who nods. "This is not because I am unhappy here, you took us in and gave us a home. But I feel that helping in Harmony City is something I need to do."

"I would like to continue Being Kallen Price, your daughter."

His smil grows as he embraces her. "Kallen always wanted to be a superhero, through you she will be. Of course you can go."

He looks to Omega. "I'll get the tickets for you both to travel by Train tonight when I go to town. We'll have one last big family meal and then you'll leave in the morning."

Brightstar nods. "Sounds like a good plan Dad." They share a smile and look to Omega. "Are you in Omega?"

Not understanding the sland Omega replies, "I do not understand your question, I am clearly in the house as you can see."

An exasperated roll of the eyes is Gabe's initial reaction before he restates the question. "Is that plan acceptable?"

"Yes, that will do fine. Though I still do not understand your uncertainty regarding my position."

Archived