Exalted ?

I saw the blurb on the WW site. Anyone know anything more about it? Is it just a new historical setting, or what? It sounded like it's supposed to be a composite of all of the mythical ages of all of the games, but that just sounds unworkable, since they are all so different, even within any given game.

Any info would be appreciated.

------------------

Reality is a crutch for

those who lack imagination.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally posted by Wild Card:
I saw the blurb on the WW site. Anyone know anything more about it? Is it just a new historical setting, or what? It sounded like it's supposed to be a composite of all of the mythical ages of all of the games, but that just sounds unworkable, since they are all so different, even within any given game.
Any info would be appreciated.

Well, there is a new game system coming out that pre-cedes the World of Darkness, heck even the anti-deluvians. In this Brave "Old" World there are beings called Exalted. From what I can piece together, they are legendaries, like demi-gods from legend ala Hercules, et.all. WW is keeping this fairly sush and I haven't been able to wheedle more info even from those who I know who work for the Wolf. Doubt his is much help, but its all I got...

------------------
Until Next...

Yegads! This has come to annoy me, really. They've been advertising it for how long, with no real answers. We do know it's some sort of pre WoD High Fantasy game, but no details.

I'm just glad we had some info on Adventure. It annoys me to no end that they won't try and build some excitement for the game with some spoiler info...But lacking an MBA, I suppose I can't really pretend to know more than they...

------------------

The Eleventh Wonder of the World.

Hype, Sacrelige, Uniforms...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

ok, read the quick start.

didn't like it.

ok, let me re-phrase that, loved the concepts, the background, the types of exalted, hell I even liked the map.

hated the character creation and character sheet. maybe it's me but I would think that the characters should be a bit more expanded than "fighting, magnetism, scholarship, stealth and embasy" rated 1-5 in order of magnititude.

the system I'm also not that big a fan of. I understand it's supposed to be a modified storyteller system but when did they switch to the D6 System???

What the heck am I gonna do with all these Damn D10 I've been buying over the years?????

Figures, I finally find a metaplot I like from WW and now I have to go and modify the whole bleepin system just to use it.

at least Essence should be an easy conversion.

Did I mention I even liked the other Exalted? The Lunar are way cool, the Abysaal look like proto- Kui jin, the Sidereal the mages, and Dragon-blooded - Proto-Hunters. Changlings are obvious and looks like they're unseely (maybe. PoV dependent.)

Biggest thing I can say about it is that I wish they had stuck with the kind of system we know instead of going out and making a whole new one for us to learn.

and in closing I have a question:

"what the hell am I going to do with all these D10 now?" confused.gif

Exalted 'looks' cool. Don't know about the system however. I have a small problem with the simplicity of the 1-5 range of ability, but hell, not a big one.

I have to say though, Aberrant was my first WW game and one thing it has taught me is to wait until the game has been out a few years to make sure that they are going to bother supporting it. I really don't feel like getting into another game that they are going to bail out on before they've gotten the material out that I consider necessary for effective playing (in the case of Aberrant I really feel the book on MegaSocials is a dire necessity due to the wide variety of ways in which the effectiveness of MegaSocials has been interpreted.)

Yeah. But is it going to actually be any good? The Wolfies are known for concentrating on Wod stuff more than aanything else and even then its the big two with Mage trailing behind. Wraith is dead. (Oh irony how I love you, but at least it went out on a high, End of Empires was cool.) Changeling? Great game, but got Arthaused, as did our Trinity and Aberrant. They've made some kak decisions in the past but remember, they have to make a profit, in the games industry breaking even isn't good enough. I think they've just spread themselves too thin. I tend not to play Vampire anymore as I know far too much stuff. The line has got more than enough books at the moment to keep it going indefinitely, slow down guys. Less stuff of better quality, than reams of rubbish. More rant later.

------------------

Bast protect us all.

• 4 weeks later...

I just stumbled upon the Exalted stuff, here. Yeah, I guess I'm sort of slow. I personally haven't seen much up in any local hobby stores, yet. Although, I hadn't been looking for it in particular.

Anyway, I really really like the concepts they have going here. I'm not sure what it is, but anything outside of their WoD genre seems to perk my interest more. (Wraith, aside, really.) But from what I've seen it looks like they are mixing elements from Changeling, Werewolf and Wraith into their mythology. I always wanted to do a pseudo-fantasy style campaign using the Changeling system and races, etc. I would imagine Glamour and Arcadia would be a little bit easier to come by, way back in the beginning.

It looks almost like the Exalted are similar to the Ab: FA concept of novas. I don't know, but considering how much I liked that idea, if this is similar, yummy. So long as they aren't going way out of their way to complicate matters, stick to their mood/mythology/whatever, it looks like a winner. I'd play it, anyway. smile.gif

(I wonder if they got the "Solar" concept from the whole Planescape thing. If so, where are the Planetars?) smile.gif

• 1 month later...

So I got to read through a copy of Exalted yesterday...

Its good. Its really good. Don't let the "Age of Sorrows" tag on the back fool you. This is a heroic, fun oriented game which makes it possible for you to be a hero (or really epic villain" in a non-Aeon WW setting.

Kudos to GC Grabowski and crew for their work and don't tell the WoD people that they didn't hire a angst junkie tragically hip clone (or they might get rid of him...)

De nada...

On a related note...Adventure is also wonderful...got to read it, still waiting to own it. I reviewed on the WW Forum as well.

I just finished reading it last night. I had some doubts, but I have to say Grabowski and company have created one fine game. Its got a little something for everyone, but more than the mere technical stuff and rules I enjoyed the feel of this book. It felt kind of like the old Hercules cartoon I grew up watching, a really upbeat and fun kind of feeling. Can't wait to read the Castebooks. Dawn Caste rules! ^_^

-Stacy Dooks

I've started playing Exalted (just 2 short sessions so far) and it is definitely really fun and they have made a great game, but with respect to Castes, I have to say that they are one part of the game that I'd kind of rather do without. One thing that I like so much about Aberrant is that, unlike every other WW game, there is no part of the game system that makes you put yourself in a certain pigeonhole (like Clans or Tribes or Traditions or whatever) where the personality is described (however broadly) and your powers are in some way determined/affected by the grouping. Instead, in Aberrant they only have allegiances, which are totally optional, and other than that you can make your character whatever you want (not that your character development is totally free, depending on your storyteller - re. my post in the players forum).

I know that even in the games that have these, and it seems a little more so for Exalted, you still have a lot of breadth, regardless of what Caste etc. you are in, but still would rather not having them at all...

[This message has been edited by Gorilla Girl (edited 08-23-2001).]

Archived