Alternity: The Elements of Eternity - Comm Chatter

So who goes first?

Generally it's pretty easy to tell who goes first during combat, those with Amazing go before those with Good.

But what happens when several people all go during the same phase? In this case it's generally defaulted to who rolled better on the action check. Like Erebus recently rolled an 8 while Shiro rolled a 12. Both act in the Ordinary phase, but Erebus goes first because his roll is closer to the better result.

Enemies don't actually roll action checks, they're simply assigned a phase in which they're allowed to act and take their attacks as normal. Usually they go after PCs, but if a PC wants to wait and see what an enemy is going to pull before they act they can.

Generally Action Checks aren't too big of an issue since PCs are generally good about just pulling the ol' "You can go before, it's no biggie." and then just figure stuff out from there. From time to time though it's a good idea to know exactly how the order works, so there it is.

In the event of a tie... higher dexterity always wins out. So if Erebus and Shiro were tied, Shiro would go first since his Dex is 13 compared to Erebus's 11.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isis is permitted 2 actions per round. From Amazing to Marginal is all one round. So the first mishap that she had in the Amazing phase she countered in the Good phase. She's taken the two actions she's allotted for the round.

When you act in a phase that's higher than everyone else you can choose to either act in that phase, or just wait to go with everyone else on a different phase. The upside is that you might take out an enemy before they become a problem.

Let's say a character is permitted 4 actions per round, but rolls a Marginal action check... they may only go once (in the Marginal phase) and lose their other three actions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been giving it some thought, and frankly it irritates me. This was a damn good story-line and I'm pretty disappointed the it's dead.

I'm not disappointed at you, the players, nor at myself, so stymie your self righteous 'Happy Pretendy Fun Time' bullshit.

I've come up with two reasons why this failed:

1. You people don't know the Alternity, and some couldn't be bothered to read the rules. That's fine, it's cool. Can't say I blame ya but it doesn't make you any less of a tool. It's a good system, you're missing out.

2. A lot of us rely on the 'Recent Posts' sidebars to see what we need to reply to, and Alternity was easily overshadowed by more active things going on at the time. Again, that's fine, this place can get quite busy sometimes.

So, I've come up with what I believe is a solution for you the players and myself.

1. Revamp the system to Future d20. Since Alternity was the inspiration for 90% of the contents of the d20 Future books you'll hardly notice a difference. It's also a system that everyone knows and can understand relatively well.

2. You guys can pay more attention and I'll make a better effort to keep you informed of recent posts. I'm not a swift poster. I'm not Fox or Carver who have nothing to do with their time but cater to the fantasy lives of people who should be out exercising or helping their community. I understand that you people have jobs and schedules so I make the effort to keep the game at a mellow pace so everyone has a chance to respond and get their PC in on the action... apparently this approach wasn't helpful at all since Rorx and Max were the only ones posting by the time it was all said and done...

This is my plan.

I'll leave this thread open for awhile to discuss the possibility of revamping this setting.

I'd be willing to give it another go.

The rules for d20 are available for free online too via the SRD, though some improvising may have to be done to allow a robot PC. I'm not sure off the top of my head if they had rules for that...

Edit: I take it back, they do. Neat!

Those of us who had characters before, do you have a preference between remaking those characters as closely as possible in d20 Future and making entirely new characters, Dave?

Will we be starting over, or picking up where we left off?

I was thinking I'd leave that up to you guys. Either way my feelings wont be hurt.

Speak up, express your opinion on whether or not you'd like a shot at something new or just to pick up where we left off.

Once we decide on that we'll get into what books and rules we'll be using.

I'd be happy to pick up with the Alternity rules still where we left off, just edit missing characters out of the ship and new ones catching us up from on-board.

If we are going to change then I'd like to know what books, only ones I've got so far are the D20 Modern-Future and the Future Tech books. So far no sign of the Psionic rules that I'd need to do Gabriel...?

If too many people switch PCs then we'll just start over again. It's not a big deal either way but I can't say 'poof' and all of a sudden everyone standing in the control room is now a different class, species, gender, etc...

I don't mind bullshittin' a few things for the sake of story, but c'mon, there's only so much we can pass off as 'makes sense'.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, going to do a variation on Gabriel since the Psi stuff is different in the new rules. He will be more combat oriented - a Battle Mind. Looking through the modern stuff at the moment then will get to changes made to/for the future stuff.

Are you going to be including any of the Psi-tech listed in Future Tech (haven't read it, just noticed the heading was there)?

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but I looked up the d20 Future rules on robot PC's. Turns out we were both right, kind of, about how robots gain skills and feats.

There's different rules for Heroic (ie PC) robots and Nonheroic robots.

Heroic robots gain skills and feats using the following passage:

Skills: A bioreplica gains and assigns skill points as other nonhuman characters do. It uses its Charisma modifier on Constitution-based skill checks (including Concentration checks).

Free Language Skills: A bioreplica can read, write, and speak one language.

Feats: A bioreplica receives no feats at 1st level. However, it gains feats normally as it advances in level.

-----

Nonheroic robots use this passage:

Nonheroic robots don’t get class levels. However, they can receive factory-installed skill and feat software, allowing them to emulate specific skills and feats as part of their programming (see Skill Software and Feat Software).

-------

So the skill and feat softwares aren't necessary for a PC robot, but would be used for any "nonheroic" robots, by RAW.

This is using this SRD address:

http://www.durman.net/sailcat/d20msrd/index.htm

Though the rule would be the same on any site (or should be).

You would be right, I usually forget that the Skill/Feat Webs are reserved for 'Ordinary' robots. You caught me there.

Although it never made sense to me how Heroic Robots are capable of things their hardware does not allow, it's like allowing them to pick up a rock despite them not being given hands (or anything else to grip a rock with).

Just add those two items (free of charge), humor me, just so neurosis doesn't force me to rip out my hair.

Just send it to that PM we're all in so we can discuss things and see how the characters turn out. Like I said, if they end up too weak I'll bump them up a bit, since this could end up to be some brutal high powered gaming.

Archived