Alternity: The Elements of Eternity - Comm Chatter

Ahh, Physics.

Now, I gather that your reasoning was because the mass transceiver specifically states that it uses graviton packets while the CG uses the lower part of the electromagnetic spectrum, thus making the two incompatible (since the comm gear couldn't decrypt those packets).

My theory was that since a graviton doesn't scientifically exist that by PL8 a mass transceiver and a comm gear worked fine together. Why over complicate it? That's why I said the comms would work fine.

Science is fun kids, really it is, but this is a game. While I do like to keep games 'real' in the sense of logistics there really is no reason to look at technology that doesn't exist, using formulas and principals that aren't proven and being nit-picky over them. A graviton has yet to be proven to even exist... so who knows what, if anything, it is or isn't capable of.

This brings me to the science rule. It's a simple one: 99% of the things in RPGs aren't real, so science is rarely a valid argument.

Allow me an example: During an old D&D 3e game the party was facing a dragon and a few of its orcish lackeys and by golly they were kicking ass. Go party. Until I described the dragon performing a wingover maneuver and turning his facing 180 degrees to prepare for the next round.

One of the players, their Sorcerer, decided to argue the point that due to a dragons mass and it was impossible for them to fly, let alone pull off a maneuver like that. I shrugged it off and explained it was a game, and he should just let it go. Well, he didn't. He griped for a good five minutes while I listened from the kitchen where I decided to make myself a tasty nacho snack.

Then he brings physics into it and begins to, in detail, draw out why it's not possible for dragons to fly, let alone wingover. I walked back in and ended his tirade by declaring the next round had begun. On the dragon's turn it lost its ability to fly and fell to the ground. The Sorcerer tried to use magic, but it failed. When he asked why I simply explained that scientifically magic doesn't exist, unless he could draw me a picture and explain in great detail why physics would permit him to speak a few words, hold flame in his had without being burned and lob it at a bunch of creatures that also don't exist in a world that bound together imagi-fuckin-nation. As the table fell silent, a one player offered him a pencil, the player realized my point.

I rewound the last round, finished my nachos, and we went on. They won, and all learned a valuable lesson.

So, the point is simple, we could all argue science all day, but there's no point because the technology doesn't exist anyway so we're all debating theories. Were I to invoke the science rule then ISIS would fall to pieces, psionics would stop working and aether wouldn't exist...

and where would the fun be in that? smile Remember, the guys who wrote these books were just making shit up based off Sci-Fi theories, they had fun writing them, so let's have fun 'playing'.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Dave, I take your point and wholeheartedly agree with it.

When I mentioned my 20 years as a Physicist it had nothing to do with the actual science aspect, which I agree is irrelevant to 99% of games, but more to my automatic reversion to the principles of logic and research.

I've been roleplaying for 27 years practically continuously now, which still doesn't mean I'm necessarily good roleplayer, just an old one. smile So not being familiar with Alternity I made a point of reading up what I could of the resources Dave was kind enough to point me to.

It was based on that reading that I made my comments, not on RL physics. Mass transcievers come in at PL 7 and the only "portable" ones I could spot were 100kg and the size of a coffin with enough battery for one hour. Based on that and the Comm Gear entries only mentioning EM capability, it seemed logical to assume that our purchased comm gear couldn't talk to the ships Mass Transciever.

Unbeknownst to me Dave was going to allow the two to communicate, as is part of his role as ST/GM or whatever you want to call it. Unfortunately I was also too tired, or stupid, to pick up on it when he stated/hinted it in a post, hence this series of which could have been avoided if only understood what Dave was getting at.

So you all have my apologies for you loss of time, attention and bandwidth. smile

Don't sweat it. You're not required to make an appearance, it's just the slow start of intro-posts and building up plot.

Take your time and feel better. The posts might move forward, but it's assumed your PC is with the group, he's just being quiet. smile

Sorry, misread it as though you were just on the way.

I had considered doing the Scan thing, but since Dave has only mentioned a Multi-band Radar I was reluctant to light up the ship in a pirate infested system. However, we are on the way to probably the most powerful station/ship there is, so we shouldn't have a problem, and it would be nice to know if there is anything else close by. smile

Scanning is standard procedure on entering a new system.

No one mentioned being on silent running, so she's just doing what comes naturally. smile

I expect precipitating from hyperspace is probably detectable as it is...which means if we don't do a scan, they know we're here, and we don't know they are. This way, we at least can see them coming.

I'll be damned. I just read a step-by about a robot taking a leak. These forums never cease to amaze.

Rorx: You do detect the use of psionics. There are two Fraal several tables away who have powers active. Logic would dictate that they're using telepathy to communicate. Aside from that, none others are in use.

Waiting on Corso, and still nothing from Jordan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ISIS doesn't seem to have an advancement track on her sheet. I can award points if there's no place to put em'.

Corso doesn't have a sheet posted... again, I can't award points if I've no place to put them.

If anyone would like me to put their PC on one of the pretty coded sheets like I did for Justin, just ask, I'll be happy to.

When those PCs get their situations straitened out, I'll drop the AP on their sheet. In the mean time, I've awarded 1 point to everyone... 5 more and your level 2!

Depends on your profession. 100-500 per level per day is usually fair. Without business, there really isn't no way of knowing if she's shafting financially... hence Corso's insight roll.

Basically for all the crew members I added your standard wages together into a lump sum. Which is about 1700/day. Naturally, this being business she low balled you a bit, cutting 250/day in wages.

Keep in mind that if it was obviously dodgy then everyone would have passed an insight roll... no one did. Corso was able to add it from a financial point of view based off her knowledge of StarMechs dealings in the past, when she was still Voidcorp.

One nation trying to screw over another nation is not uncommon, and since no one but Corso made the link between StarMech and the facility not being their own (except Corso), then it just looks like a rather easy way to get paid.

Cuz... the high paying jobs are always easy... right? smile

Yer live Max. Note the combat section of your sheet. Her pistol and Maser are both -d6. I'm not sure if that's correct, but if her Combat Spec bonus went to Modern Ranged and each weapon has a -1 accuracy... then it's correct. Please review that and make changes if needed please.

Quote:
Please sir, can I have one too?

You're already usin' one cheese head!

No one but Corso is aware of her revelation. Just because she spotted something doesn't at all mean she's required to share it or intends on sharing it with the group while company is present.

So if everyone is waiting on Corso to reveal her insight I'm curious to know where you all discovered the means to divine that she knows something you don't.

I'm going to move on to the mission here when I get time to post again. I'll be jumping forward and assuming the Drivespace jumps have been made. The next scene will start as the Mack is coming out of Drivespace and approaching the debris field surrounding Cauldron Station.

Isis adjusts her duty schedule during the flight to include monitoring the passengers activities to the extent possible, using internal sensors and even just making sure that she's unobtrusively around when they're out of their cabin.

She also makes sure to regularly patrol the 'red zones,' where the passengers are not allowed. Engineering, the bridge, and any other sensitive areas the captain decides on.

As usual Gabriel will make a point of doing a Navcognition plot for each stage of the trip in both directions as well as an emergency hyperdrive plot to a safe point from each place if things look to be seriously in the bucket. As well as the last place we left each plot point will have an alternative route towards a system in a different direction as a safety measure.

For example course is ploted from A to B towards our destination, plots are also done from B to A and B towards system S and Hyperdrive course to system/point H, so that if we need to run we have options that may not be obvious to a pursuer.

Possibly, but for him it's a matter of his religion, that's what he does as his equivalent of 'worship' plot courses to better know/understand Drive/Hyperspace.

I know it's wasted time and effort, but then most religious activities are on a functional level.

The Techies Toy box (name pending) will be a place where I will post things like gear and equipment (both mundane and arcane) that you, the players, can put to use.

You can make requests, so feel free. Not all will be accepted, and just because you requested it doesn't mean you'll get it right away, or at all. DO NOT make suggestions in that thread, but instead post them here and we'll see what we can do.

Keep in mind, anything you guys get, the bad guys get too. smile

Hi Everyone. I'm sorry I've effectively vanished but unfortunately I have encountered the ass-end of life. Right now I am fighting to not get evicted and have moved my computer to a friends place 'cause I need internet for job searching...

I don't really forsee a time in the near furture when I will be able to realiably post so I'm afraid I won't be returning to/joining the game.

I appologize to all of you, I was really interested in the game but things are just way too out of control right now.

I'll get something in the thread today guys, besure and check previous posts, since I may edit your posts with the results of your actions instead of separating everything.

Also note that anything in someone else's post is usually OOC knowledge, so just because Isis scans and detects rampaging space herpes spitting at the ship doesn't mean Erebus knows that unless the post specifies otherwise.

Archived