Alternity: The Elements of Eternity - Alternity PL8 Discussion

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Vivi OOC
Try not to make a one-trick pony, if you can help it, because unless Max makes a combat-monkey, we won't have a single combat-oriented PC in the group.

Not finished yet so easily changed but has all the Psi Broad skill and specialties include Heal, Contact, Datalink, Pyrokinetics and Electrokinetics. Non-Psi so far he only has Rifle and Melee.

So he has access to all the Psi powers you can use untrained and some decent combat powers as well, but virtually no other skills. Hopefully thats not too much of a one-trick pony? smile

It's late, and I'll look over all of that again tomorrow, but one of the main things standing out is this: if you plan on doing any hacking or anything, you'll need more than Datalink to do it. Datalink, as far as I can tell, just lets you perform the tasks without the need for equipment- it doesn't substitute for Computer Operation, Hacking, and/or Programming skill checks.

Maybe a little concept to go with "uber-psionic powers" would help, too. wink

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
Well, yeah it kinda is... he can't do anything but Psi.

I thought was the point with Telepaths from the description.

Good point about the Datalink. I'm thinking about Union of Sol, as in Dave's example, and/or some Engineered Mutations to get some more skill pts. Could try to go the Datalink/Hacking route, or drop that in favour of Navcognition and a minimum of Pilot to be a backup pilot?

Is there any Psi based or enhancing technology?

Before you take mutations, take a look at the Human race bonuses to make sure you know what you're losing.

Because of drawbacks, mutations can be a double-edged sword.

Also, if pilot is a 'backup' role for ya, you might think twice about getting a psi skill to buttress it, unless you want Navcognition for more than just piloting. Because backups probably won't be backing up all that frequently. PC's fill their primary role most of the time. So pick something you know you'll like. smile

I was considering hacking for my robot PC, but I'm more than happy to cede it to you if that's what you want.

Ok, I'll have to look again as I didn't notice it mentioning losing the Human Skill pt and Broad bonus. I'll still probably do it as I've got his history/concept worked out in draft based on it.

Here is what I'm proposing:

He is a corporate Genetic Engineering Test subject from the Union of Sol. The aim of the series was to be an Enhanced Intelligence and Personality template for sale/use with Corporate staff and families. Unfortunately, when they reached puberty the researchers found a flaw hn their template. The subjects eyes turned to totally black orbs, which was disturbing enough to at least negate the work they had done on Enhanced Personality. The experiment was not immediately scrapped as they wanted to measure how well the template had worked in the intended areas, in order to know how much of the tempkate needed changing. Unknown to the researchers this particular batch of twenty were also all psionic to one degree or another.

Being psionic and intelligent they were able to plan in secret and work on an escape. They delayed the projects termination for several years through a combination of Suggestion, hacking and increasing corporate bureaucratic initia.

When the time came he had several psionic and minor hacking parts to play in order to get them out and to a ship, as well as aiding in the 'accidental' destruction of the facility to help cover their trail. On the ship they acquired he dealt with the in-system Navcognition while one of his brothers did the Drivespace course. They only stayed together for 3 long course changes before splitting up to make their own way to the Verge.

You know we've already got one ex-corporate mutant, right? :P

Also, Sol doesn't look favorably on mutants and genetically-altered humans, because of their aggressive stance on environmental and cultural issues as well as their hatred of the Thuldan- it's highly unlikely they'd be creating batches of enhanced people to sell, or permit it in their space.

If you really want to play a mutant, it would probably need to come from elsewhere. If you're really keen on playing someone from the Union of Sol, it'll definitely need to be human.

If you have the Star*Drive book, there are pretty detailed descriptions of all of the Stellar Nations, which might help with the concept development. (I'm not the ST, of course, and Dave might have something different in mind in terms of what's acceptable for PCs and what's not.)

Originally Posted By: Rorx
I'm thinking about Union of Sol, as in Dave's example, and/or some Engineered Mutations to get some more skill pts.

I read that as, "I'm taking the route that will allow me to Min/Max my character into a psionic god." I generally hand sheets like that back to my players.

At Level 1 all you need to be is capable. Pick a few things and buy the rest later. You're not competing with each other so don't make "The Best PC Evar".

Why can't he be 'just a psion'? Some decent WIL, INT, CON, and PER to get him by and then increase your attributes as you advance.

Mindwalkers are not just "all I do is psionics", most have several skills they can fall back on. A good way to do it is to buy 1 or 2 Broad skills in your Psionics, things the character specializes in and then pick up your character Career skills to compliment them. Like a Mindwalker Hacker would have his Psionics, but then have the skills from the Hacker career to compliment those.

Trying to do it all is just difficult at Level 1 and making a min/maxed character kills the enjoyment for the other players. When one PC is several times more powerful, I scale the encounters for the Powerful PC so that PC is challenged and can't just Godzilla through the game. This usually spells disaster for the weaker PCs.

If all the PCs are fairly in line with each other then obstacles are more easily overcome because the PCs can work more as a team.

One suggestion for a Mindwalker might be the Orlamu Theocracy.

I'm working up a post with summaries of the Stellar Nations and the benefits thereof, which I'll put up shortly. smile

EDIT: Done! Hopefully this'll give you guys a rough idea of what the Nations are like.

Austrin-Ontis

Summary: A weapons-trading nation in which the right to bear arms has developed into a way of life. They are typically blamed for the beginning of GW2, and it’s likely there is a good deal of truth to the accusations. (When business is flagging, the weapons-dealers have a tendency to create business for themselves by stirring up trouble.)

Benefits: During character creation, an Austrin hero can specialize in Heavy Weapons or Modern Ranged Weapons. Any use of the chosen broad skill or its specialty skills during play receives a –1 step bonus, which can be combined with the Combat Spec bonus to provide a –2 bonus.

Borealis Republic

Summary: A nation devoted to philosophy and academia. Knowledge is the noblest and most important pursuit to the Borealins, and social status and rank are determined by scholastic achievement. Interstellar communication and the exchange of information hold a high priority.

Benefits: Borealin heroes increase their Intelligence score by 1 point during character creation, to a maximum of 15. They also begin play with the flaw Obsessed (4) due to their fixation on discovery and finding new methods of thinking, though it can be removed during play using the standard achievement rules. The player chooses the focus of the obsession.

Hatire Community

Summary: A devoutly religious nation that abhors technology which alters the human body, and has an inherent mistrust of new technology in general. After discovering an alien doctrine known as the Cosimir, they integrated it into their own beliefs. They are missionaries and proselytizers who wish to spread their faith throughout the galaxy, and support their community without thought of reward for the burden of preaching to the unwilling masses.

Benefits: Hatire heroes gain the benefit of the Faith perk without needing to purchase it. In addition, if the hero chooses to buy the perk at character creation, they improve the base situation die for its use from –d4 to –d8.

Insight

Summary: Insight is the youngest Stellar Nation, formed in the wake of a schism with their parent nation, VoidCorp. For the Inseers, the Grid is their raison d'être. Many of them prefer to spend their time in virtual worlds, rather than the real one, and their unique brand of religion holds that the Grid is the final and ultimate expression of intelligence. As the “new kid on the block,” they seem almost desperate to find new things, or do what no one has done before.

Benefits: Inseer heroes gain an inherent –1 step bonus on all computer-related activities (design, hacking, programming, and any Grid-based actions.) Due to their connection with the virtual, however, they suffer a +1 step penalty to real-world action checks.

Nariac Domain

Summary: A nation that believes there is no such thing as an individual. Every citizen is a contributing part of the workforce, subsequently receiving housing, food, and employment from the Domain. All worker-citizens’ needs are handled thusly, and all contribute to the success of the Domain. Cybertechnology and monitoring prevent any organized disruption. Inequalities of race, species, gender, or social rank are non-existent, and it is this devotion to equality and unity that drives the Nariacs forward.

Benefits: All Nariac heroes begin play with one free item of cyber gear of $5,000 or less- and with a free implanted security monitor that reports their movements to the Domain. Their bodies, too, are well-adapted to cybernetic technology and implantation, and thus the free item does not count against their cyber tolerance score. Finally, Nariac doctors with the surgery specialty skill gain the cybernetic surgery skill rank benefit for free. (All Nariac cyber gear contains the Domain’s tracking monitors, however.)

Orion League

Summary: A nation which prizes individuality, tolerance, and personal freedom above all else, even to the point of being willing to sacrifice its own unification at times to preserve these ideals. Fortunately, Orion patriotism and their devotion to the liberties they enjoy discourages outside attempts at creating dissent and chaos in the League. Many Orions are diplomats, envoys, and explorers, and emphasize the need for civilized interpersonal and intercultural relations.

Benefits: During character creation, Orion heroes add 1 point to their Personality attribute, for a maximum of 15. In addition, they automatically gain a –1 bonus when using the Culture broad skill or any of its specialty skills, and it would be a rare soul who would not initially give an Orion the benefit of the doubt.

Orlamu Theocracy

Summary: The Theocracy is a nation rooted in a unique religious belief: drivespace is, in fact, the Divine Unconscious, and the everyday world is one of active divine creation. Their mission is to explore and understand the marvels and miracles they see in the universe all around them, marvels which they believe point to evidence of a conscious divine will. Their reverence and love for science and the wonders of the universe are unmatched in any other nation, and they pride themselves on their use of scientific methods and instruments to discover truth.

Benefits: As a result of their devotion to science and exploration, Orlamus receive a -1 bonus on the use of any Physical Science or Navigation skill. The nation is also blessed with a disproportionate number of Mindwalker children, and due to the presence of specialized academies Orlamu Mindwalkers reduce the cost of all Mindwalker broad and specialty skills by 1 point. They also gain a -2 bonus when using the navcognition specialty skill.

Rigunmor Star Consortium

Summary: The Consortium is a nation of consummate traders, deal-makers, and businesspeople. Of course, simple honesty is not the approach that most Rigunmors take in their business strategy. The Rigunmor way of life is subtle and manipulative; the law of the Rigunmor is to let the buyer beware. Ambitious young traders travel far from home seeking riches and new opportunites for investment. They believe it is greed, rather than any humanitarian idealism, which propels an individual (or a society) forward, and see no reason to change what they perceive as an age-old truth established throughout human history.

Benefits: Despite the fact that everyone knows Rigunmors can’t be trusted, they somehow manage to make customers comfortable with even the most outrageous deals. They gain a –1 step bonus to all uses of the Interaction and Deception broad and specialty skills. In addition, they always pay 1 point less than the listed cost for purchase or advancement of the Interaction- bargain skill, and may begin with the Filthy Rich perk for free. Characters who choose not to take the perk gain 6 skill points instead.

StarMech Collective

Summary: A nation of brilliant engineers, designers, and thinkers who create fantastic mechanical works... and then let the robots handle the details. In fact, most Starmechs are more comfortable with robotic companions of their own creation than with other humans. They prefer to travel with at least one robot servant, and as most of the work is done by machines or automatons, they have plenty of time to pursue other, more enjoyable endeavors.

Benefits: Starmechs have a natural flair for all things technical. During play, they receive a –1 bonus to any use of the Technical Science broad skill or any of its specialty skills. In addition, being prone to hedonism and escaping from the outside world in excess, a Starmech hero may take the Oblivious flaw and gain double the usual skill points, for a total of 8. Those who pursue their pleasures more intently may take the Obsessed flaw and gain 4/8/12 skill points, depending on how much time they devote to such indulgences.

Thuldan Empire

Summary: Thuldans stride from world to world with pride and patriotism, and more than a bit of arrogance. That the galaxy will be united under solid leadership Thuldans have little doubt, and expansion remains one of their top priorities. Military dominance and cultural superiority trump the "useless" ideals of academia, and they have continued their aggressive, expansionist tendencies even into GW3. Centuries-long breeding and widespread genetic manipulation have also toughened the Thuldan physique, and their drive for perfection has encouraged ambitious Thuldan physical education.

Benefits:

Because of their unrelenting pursuit of physical perfection, during character creation, Thuldan heroes have maximums of 15 in Strength and Constitution. Thuldan mutant heroes reduce their number of drawback points by 1; the mastery of the Thuldan scientists over human biochemistry and medicine is unmatched.

Union of Sol

Summary: Long after humanity left Earth behind, Solar communities and individuals continue to attempt to preserve the human cultures of Earth. Many Solars adopt the lifestyle and fashions of a lost age, such as the precolonial Aztecs, imperial Japan, independent Athens, or 17th-century France. They are accustomed to a crowded, urban lifestyle, and fiercely protect and preserve the remaining flora and fauna. On many worlds, they restore damaged biospheres and ensure species survival by elaborate stewardship arrangements. They show great respect for native life forms, but they rarely tolerate mutants and genetically altered humans as a result of their aggressive stance on environmental stewardship, and their long-standing hatred of the Thuldan.

Benefits: To represent the diversity of the Solar people, Solar heroes start with a total of 62 points to assign to ability scores rather than 60. They may not exceed 14 in any ability, however.

VoidCorp

Summary: VoidCorp traces its roots to a software company created in the 20th century. Microtel eventually became the most powerful corporation on Earth, but during GW1, the space-faring, expansionist branch of the company severed ties with its parent. Employees (as VoidCorp citizens are called) are ambitious and driven to excel, and most will stop at nothing to gain rank and prestige. Every citizen holds a corporate rank from birth, expressed in his Employee Identification Number. VoidCorp does not permit retirement - Employees must work until death, but even that is not considered leaving the company. Termination of one’s contract, on the other hand, is quite, quite literal.

Benefits: Their immersion in the competitive corporate world gives VoidCorp Employees an edge in business, and they automatically begin play with the Business broad skill and 1 rank in the Business- corporate specialty skill for free. In addition, any use of the Business broad skill or any of its specialty skills during play (whether in negotiating business deals or as an encounter skill in financial situations) receives a –1 bonus. They also permanently fill in the leftmost box on the achievement track, though it can never be turned in for skill points.

The Galactic Concord

Summary: Formed from the wreckage of GW2, the Galactic Concord stands as mankind’s hope for the future. Cobbled together from the losers and leftovers of the war by the surviving nations, the Concord is an arbiter in the affairs of the Stellar Nations. They attempt to moderate power with responsibility, and while opposed to rash decisions, they are realistic enough understand that sacrifices must sometimes be made in the interests of peace. They have a strong moral compass, and will go to extreme lengths to do the right thing. Concordans are extremely tolerant of other species, and have an innate understanding of just how far to push before backing down.

Benefits: Trained to resist mental and physical influences, Heroes who begin play as Concordans +1 to any one of their resistance modifiers.

Ok, consider it scrapped, although I would like to say in my defense that since the copy of the StarDrive campaign I had access to was corrupted the only nation name and bonus I could remember was the comment about the Union of Sol after the example character here. As for the Psi the intention was that he would have a very broad but shallow ability, he could attempt to do most things but would be fairly medicore or worse at them and quickly run out of juice to do them. So I didn't think it was particularly overpowered.

Fresh start.

What, if any niches are left?

We already have a:

Diplomat/Doctor

Scientist/engineer

Pilot(mecha)/mechanic

Max's Robot hacker or Combat dude?

I guess that leaves me the spy/thief type. Perhaps an ESPion Career from the book as a base? I'll look at it again later.

The robot is a military android, designed for covert operations more than heavy combat. Despite the 'covert ops' tag, it's unlikely that it will be particularly stealthy. The covert part is how it looks and, mostly, acts like a human being.

There -might- be stealth systems, but I dunno yet.

Hopefully I'll have the crunch figgered out tonight.

- I don't think anyone's saying you can't be a Mindwalker, Rorx. Just focus a bit, is the idea.

No one said you should scrap the idea, Rorx. In fact, Dave actually described what he's looking for in terms of capability, and I made a suggestion about where he might've come from if you were looking for Mindwalker benefits. We're all making some adjustments to our characters, and some general overlap is fine, as long as there's also something in particular your guy is good at. Even having 2-3 techs, it's pretty easy not to step on anyone's toes because all of them have their own areas of expertise.

Vivi, thanks for posting the Nation data, a BIG help. Yep, I've gone with a normal human from the Olamu Theocracy, and from the write up you gave I thought the most apropriate Career within Mindwalker was the Mystic.

Given their exploratory bent and fascination with Drivespace, he has Navcognition (Drivespace), Space Vehicle, and Astrogation (system) as a main group of skills. He also has a smattering of Knowledge in the form of Computer Ops, First aid and an additional langauge. His utility to the party is helped by the 2nd round of Psi suggested under Mystic - Biokinesis, specifically Transfer Wounds and Healing.

His only combat abilities come from his Psi Specialism from Mindwalker of Telekinetics - Pyrokinesis and Electrokinesis. Lastly he has some Resolve to help resist Mental stuff and to assist with recovering his Psi points.

If that is still too Psi heavy, I'll lose the Telekinesis entirely, and hence all combat ability, and put the points into getting Astronomy, and/or System Operation for a ship system or two.

Basically the guy is a drifter/mystic, simply travelling across space to see what is there and to explore his personal connection to Drivespace (through his Navcognition).

So is that any better?

Keep in mind that you will all be members of a crew on a starship.

System Operation-

Communications

Defenses

Engineering

Sensors

Weapons

Are all useful skills for any crew to have (even having more than one as a back up is a good idea). Whatever you don't have now, consider picking up after you've earned a level or 2 and have some stocked skill points. It only costs 4 for the Broad Skill and they can all be used used untrained. So for 4 skill points you can use em all at a +d4 penalty. Which isn't too bad.

Oh, for starting money, give yourself Max x 100. So a Combat Spec who roll 5d6 (30) would start 3,000 plus he would also get his Careers signature equipment for free as well.

So yes, if you are a Diplomat with the Filthy Rich perk you get 60,000 in starting money.

Ok, here goes, although I still need to do equipment, but that shouldn't be too much as he needs to be able to carry it all in one backpack and perhaps a few belt/webbing pouches.

If you try checking the skill points you need to remember that Olarmu gives him 1 pt off the cost of all Psi Broad and Speciality skills, and Mindwalkers get one Psi Broad category and associated Specialities at 1 step bonus = +d0 for the Broad and -d4 for the specialities. In his case his Telekinesis.

Code:
Hero’s Name: Gabriel Eric Tanaka	Species: Human		Nation: Olarmu Theocracy
Attributes:							Last Resorts: 1/1
Setting: 			Gamemaster:			Last Resort Cost: 3

Ability Scores
STR:	8 		Durability: 10 / 10 / 5 / 5
DEX:	9 		Action Check: 13+ / 12 / 6 / 3
CON:	10		# Actions: 2
INT:	13 (+2)		Action Check Modifier: +d0
WIL:	12 (+1)		Movement: Sprint: 16  Run: 10  Walk: 4  Easy Swim: 2 Swim: 4
PER:	8		Psionic Energy: 12 / 12

Perks:	
Flaws:	Alien Artefact [5]
        Alien Implant in the Right Arm, Ordinary Displacement for 3 rounds/day, and acts as a Star Transceiver up to 10 LY for 1 minute of conversation/day. Your drawbacks are Blackouts and Compulsory behavior.
        Old Injury [2]

Height: 6’
Weight: 180lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue
Wealth: ???

Attack Forms
Unarmed			4/2/1	+d4	LI/O	Personal	d4s/d4+1s/d4+2s
Electrokinesis		13/6/3	-d4	EN/O	Psionic		d4+2s/d6+2s/d4w
Pyrokinesis		13/6/3	-d4	EN/O	Psionic		d4+2w/d6+2w/d8+2w
M9 9mm Charge Pistol     9/4/2   +d4     HI/O    Ranged, Mod      

Defenses
CF Longcoat		LI d4 / HI d4 /EN d6-2

Skill			Ability		Rank		Score		Base Die
Athletics		STR		Broad		8/4/2		+d4

Vehicle Operation	DEX		Broad		9/4/2		+d4
Ranged Weapon,Modern    DEX             Broad      9/4/2    +d4

Stamina			CON		Broad		10/5/2		+d4

Knowledge		INT		Broad		13/6/3		+d4
-Computer Operation	INT		Rank 1		14/7/3		+d0
-First Aid		INT		Rank 1		14/7/3		+d0
-Olarmu Doctrine 	INT		Rank 1		14/7/3		+d0
Systems Operation	INT		Broad		13/6/3		+d4
-Communications		INT		Rank 1		14/7/3		+d0
-Sensors		INT		Rank 1		14/7/3		+d0
- Another               INT             Rank 1        14/7/3/    +d0
Physical Sciences	INT		Broad		13/6/3		+d4

Awareness		WIL		Broad		12/6/3		+d4
Resolve			WIL		Broad		12/6/3		+d4

Interaction		PER		Broad		8/4/2		+d4
-Bargain		PER		Rank 1		9/4/2		+d0

Psionics 		Ability		Rank		Score		Base Die
Biokinesis		CON		Broad		10/5/2		+d4
-Heal			CON		Rank 1		11/5/2		+d0
-Transfer Damage	CON		Rank 1		11/5/2		+d0

ESP			INT		Broad		13/6/3		+d4
-Clairaudience		INT		Rank 1		14/7/3		+d0
-Clairvoyance		INT		Rank 1		14/7/3		+d0
-Navcognition		INT		Rank 1		14/7/3		-d6
-Postcognition		INT		Rank 1		14/7/3		+d0
-Precognition		INT		Rank 1		14/7/3		+d0

Telekinesis		WIL		Broad		12/6/3		+d0
-Electrokinesis		WIL		Rank 1		13/6/3		-d4
-Pyrokinesis		WIL		Rank 1		13/6/3		-d4
-Kinetic Shield         WIL             Rank 1           13/6/3    -d4
-Levitation             WIL             Rank 1           13/6/3    -d4

Level: 1
Skill Points Spent: 0
Skill Points Stored: 0
AP Need for Next Level: 6
Earned AP: 0 / 6

Gear
Jumpsuit 100cr
Trauma Pack I 100cr
Comm Gear (headset)  175Cr
M9 9mm Charge Pistol 500cr, +2 clips 100cr
CF Long Coat  800cr

Backpack
Several sets fo casual/work clothes
1 set business quality clothes
field kit (wash things, fork/knife/spoon/plate/cup etc)
2 sets boots
1 set good shoes
Robe of Psi Order he trained with
Shoulder holster

Looks good. However, don't worry about language skills. Chances are if you don't know the language it's because it's something messed up and exotic and you wouldn't have known it anyway.

Let's see what Max does with Cherry 10,000.

Here is my character in his current draft.

Code:
Hero’s Name: Trent Gareth	Species: Human		Nation: Union of Sol
Gender: Male			Profession: Diplomat(Tech Op.)		Career: Administrative Doctor
Attributes: Staying Alive, Just, Helpful, Suspicious	Last Resorts: 3/3
Setting: 			Gamemaster:		Last Resort Cost: 3

Ability Scores
STR:	7 (+0)		Durability: 7 / 7 / 4 / 4
DEX:	8 (+0)		Action Check: 13+ / 12 / 6 / 3
CON:	7		# Actions: 2
INT:	14 (+2)		Action Check Modifier: +d0
WIL:	12 (+1)		Movement: Sprint: 14  Run: 10  Walk: 4  Easy Swim: 2 Swim: 4
PER:	14		Psionic Energy: 0 / 0

Perks:	Good Looking [3]
Flaws:	Powerful Enemy [4]

Height: 5’10”
Weight: 160lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Green
Wealth: 345

Attack Forms
Unarmed			3/1/0	+d4	LI/O	Personal	d4s/d4+1s/d4+2s
Laser Pistol     	8/4/2	+d0	En/O	Range		d4+1w/d6+1w/4m	

Defenses
CF Longcoat		LI d4 / HI d4 /EN d6-2

Athletics		STR		Broad		7/3/1		+d4

Vehicle Operation	DEX		Broad		8/4/2		+d4

Stamina			CON		Broad		7/3/1		+d4

Business		INT		Broad		14/7/3		+d4
-Illicit Business	INT		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0
-Small Business		INT		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0   
Knowledge		INT		Broad		14/7/3		+d4
-Computer Operation	INT		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0
-First Aid		INT		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0
Life Science		INT		Broad 		14/7/3		+d4
-Xenology		INT		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0
Medical Science		INT		Broad 		14/7/3		+d4
-Forensics		INT		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0
-Medical Knowledge 	INT		Rank 1 		15/7/3		+d0
-Surgery		INT		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0
-Treatment		INT 		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0
Systems Operation	INT		Broad		14/7/3		+d4
-Defense		INT		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0
-Sensors		INT		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0

Awareness		WIL		Broad		12/6/3		+d4
-Intuition		WIL		Rank 1		13/6/3		+d0

Culture			PER		Broad 		14/7/3		+d4
-Diplomacy		PER		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0
Deception 		PER		Rank 1		14/7/3		+d4
Interaction		PER		Broad		14/7/3		+d4
-Bargain		PER		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0

Skill Points Spent: 69
Skill Points Stored: 2
AP Need for Next Level: 6
Earned AP: 0 / 6

Medical Gauntlet (A) *
Glasses/Sun
TrailTech Hiking Boots
Duster, Outback Provision
Fatigues (4)
Underclothes(4)
Micro Computer (M)
Minitech D30 Flashlight
Bio-detector
Multi-band CommGear
Shoes Formal
Wallet
Formal Dress
Trauma Pack I
First Aid Pack
Laser Pistol
CF Long Coat

An amazing Medical Gauntlet? How did you get an amazing Medical Gauntlet when it costs 6,000, and your starting money for a Diplomat is 6,000?

6,000 - 6,000 = 0. How did you get all your other equipment?

A profession's starting equipment is not automatically assumed to be what ever level you want it to be, it's always just good enough to do the job, or in terms of quality it's usually 'Marginal'.

You guys should start communicating, 1 Engineer who can't take a hit, 1 Doctor who can't take a hit, 1 Psion who can't take a hit... wow.

Name: ISIS

Career: Combat Spec (bonus to Modern Ranged)

Profession: Bodyguard

Motivation: Survival, Find Truth, Deeper Meaning

Moral Attitude: Apathetic

Character Traits: Logical, Passive

Str 12

Dex 12

Con 10

Int 11

Wil 8

Per 7

Action Check: 14 -1d4

Actions/rnd: 2

Move: 24/16/6

Durability: 10/10/5

Resistances: -1 Str, -1 Dex. -1 Int

Perks

Emancipated 5

Great Looks 3

Alien Artifact 8

Flaws

Powerful Enemy 4

Phobia - Immersion in Water 2

Secret Orders 3

Skills 59/59

Str

Armor Operation

C - Combat 2

C Melee Weapons 5

Dex

Acrobatics 7

C - Dodge +1 13/6/3 3

C - Zero G Training +1 13/6/3 1

C Ranged Weapons, Modern 5 (-1 step)

C - Pistol +2 14/7/4 7

Will

Awareness 3

- Perception +1 9/4/2 (-1d4) 2

Con

Stamina

Int

Computer Science

Knowledge

- Computer Operation +1 12/6/3 1

- First Aid +1 12/6/3 2

C Security 3

C - Protection +1 12/6/3 1

System Operation

- Sensors +1 12/6/3 1

Cash 50cr

Weapons

Hammer 5: 11mm charge pistol- Acc -1, 10/20/80, +2 Hide, 12 rnds, 1d4+2w/1d6+2w/1d4+1m HI O

Integral Hvy Maser Pistol, Acc -1, 20/40/80, 1d6+1w/2d4+1w/1d4+1m En G

Integral Star Sword, ACC 0, 1d6+1w/2d6w/1d4+3m En G

Armor

Unarmored (Synthetic Skin), 1d4-3/1d4-3/1d4-3 O

Removable Interlocked Defense Armor, 7kg, 2650cr, Hide +1, 1d4+2/1d6/1d6 O (as Bushmaster Cerametal)

Integral Ablative Shield, 8pts (stun 1/1, wound 2/1, mortal 4/1) O, regenerates 1/turn

Gear

Integral Interface Socket

Integral Encrypted Wireless Interface

Integral IR Vision

Integral Weapon Detector

Integral Keycode Generator

Integral Storage Space (approx 2liters)

Casual Dress, Antiscan, 200cr

Armored Magnetic Boots, 350cr, 2kg

Smart Holster, 150cr, 1kg

Induction Disk, 600cr, 10kg

Click to reveal.. (Robot Crunch)
Robot worksheet

Size: Medium 1.6m (h = 5)

Weight 125kg

Budget: 349,500/350k

Chassis Points: 109/110

Chassis:

Monofilament 25k, 5kg

Power Supply

MicroFusion Cells 7CP, 54/56PP, 17k

Processor

PL8 Good, 15slots, 12 ranks, MaxInt 15, MaxWil 12, Maxper 10, 1CP, 2PP, 15k, -d4 Action Mod

AI Board, 2CP, 3PP, 30k

Actuators

Synthetic Tissue, 55cp, 28pp, 55k

Cabling

Nerves, 0, 0

Sensors

Synthetic Senses, 2cp, 2pp, 80k

IR Sensor, 3cp, 1pp, 3k

Weapon Detector, 1cp, 1pp, 2k

Dataport

Socket, 1cp, -, 50cr

Wireless, 1cp, 2pp, .3k

Encryption, 1cp, 1pp, .7k

Limbs

4 limbs, 20cp

Manipulators

2 Hands, 2cp (limb), 2pp, .4k

Propulsion

2 Feet, 10cp (limb), 1pp, .7k

Casing

Synthetic Skin, 5cp, 3.5k, 1d4-3 all

Weapon Support Systems

L Arm 4cp (limb), 1pp, Heavy Maser Pistol, 24.6k

R Arm 4cp (limb), 1pp, Starsword, 9.15k

Defense Systems

Ablative Shield, 8cp, 12pp, 80k, 16pts

Miscellaneous

Key Code Generator, 1cp, 1pp, 3k

Storage Space, 2cp, -, 100cr

Click to reveal.. (Background)

ISIS is the brainchild of Dr. Uhlu Kappa, a roboticist notorious for his technical brilliance and fearless creativity, as well as his fierce interest in pre-human galactic civilizations. Although he is from the StarMech Collective originally, he's since done business for a number of clients including VoidCorp, Austrin-Ontis, Insight, the Union of Sol...most Stellar Nations in fact, or their companies, with the exception of the Thuldan, and the Hatire Community. Shortly after participating on an expedition sponsored by the Borealis Republic, Dr. Kappa boarded an unmarked private spacecraft and took off for parts unknown. He has not been seen or heard of since, and nothing is known about the owners of the mysterious ship he left in.

Isis awoke spontaneously (most likely at a preprogrammed time or trigger) in a small cargo container at a spaceport. She had on her person a small satchel of items, including some money. Outside of the satchel, resting on top of her belly, was a single data crystal. On it was a recorded message from Dr. Kappa, explaining hurriedly that she needed to find a distant colleague of his that he trusted named Corso. He added that she would need to keep a low profile and avoid notice, then noted that there would be people coming for her eventually, and that she should avoid capture by all means. Then he apologized for not having the time or ability to provide more help, or more information. On the crystal were some notes and diagrams, but not complete technical specifications or blueprints. The female-appearing android had only basic software in her memory.

From there, Isis haltingly made her way across the Verge, tracking Corso down...finally finding her just 6 months ago as she was negotiating to join the crew of a small ship. Isis joined that crew herself, though still has many unanswered questions regarding her past, her present, and most especially her future.

In fairness, he did say in chat when you were discussing your character with him that no one should be starting with the best quality anything. We're first level.

If anybody needs help, or isn't sure if something would be appropriate, please ask. I'd be happy to act as liaison between the players and Dave. If any of you are uncomfortable with the idea of a low-level game, and the fallibility and flaws that entails, please say so now, before we get started and everyone gets attached to each other's characters.

Dave's idea of the ideal relative power level is pretty basic (at least, the way he's described it to me), but with so many options it's understandable that anyone not familiar with the system or his GM style would be a little put-off. Here's the Cliff's Notes version:

Essentially, the bulk of your skills should be at rank 1, with a few rank 2s. (Why? It gives you a decent foundation of abilities, fleshes out your character's previous life a bit, and gives you room to improve later.) If there's a rank 3 skill (which is exceptional at this level) have a good reason for it, because that will make you an expert in the group. Your equipment shouldn't be anything over Ordinary quality (by and large, it should be Marginal), and if it's the "signature" equipment Dave's giving you for free, it's Marginal. (Why? It's free. It'll get the job done, and it gives you room to improve later.)

The biggest problem I can see is that there's a tendency to overcomplicate things. Don't try to have your character going in too many directions- try to keep personality traits, skills, and ability scores within your concept, don't worry about being good at everything, and leave plenty of room to grow. In this case, simpler is probably better. Being a spy/rockstar who's secretly the heir to a distant kingdom on an unknown, mysterious planet that was overthrown by a tyrannical android warlord and who is now seeking the cure to an obscure disease for his ailing wife sounds very dramatic, but it's a little over the top. Being a diplomat who used to be heir to a vast fortune, but was dishonored by an unscrupulous sibling is a little more reasonable.

I hope no one's offended, or upset, or feeling trod-upon, because nobody wants that. It shouldn't be too hard, with a little communication and cooperation, to end up with a well-balanced group of characters.

Updated the Psion

Dropped the Weren Langauge - which allowed him to take Kinetic Shield instead

Reduced Pre and Postcognition to 1 Rank each to take Ranged Weapon, Modern Broad

Dropped the Mental Resolve Spec to take another Systems Op (to be decided as needed)

Left 1 pt over - so took Levitation Rank 1

Added in the Gear as well.

9mm Charge Pistol with 2 clips

CF long coat

and little else of interest.

I haven't finished this character as far as gear and such are concerned.

This however is the stats/skills and such I'm set for

Name Shiro Asano

Height 5'9

Weight 145 lbs

Class- Tech Op

Profession- Pilot

Stats

STR 7

DEX 13

CON 10

INT 14

WIL 8

PER 8

Action Check: 14

Actions/rnd: 2

Move: 20/12/4

Durability: 10/10/5/5

Resistances: Str+0, Dex+2, Int+2, Wil+0

*Skills*

STR

Athletics 7/3/1

Jump (1) 8/4/2

Dex

Acrobatics 13/6/3

Zero-G training (2) 15/7/3

Modern Ranged 13/6/3

Pistol (2) 15/7/3

Vehicle Operation 13/6/3

Space Vehicle (2) 15/7/3

CON

Stamina 10/5/2

INT

Knowledge 14/7/3

Computer Operation (2) 16/8/4

Navigation 14/7/3

Drivespace Astrogation (1) 15/7/3

Superspace Astrogation (1) 15/7/3

System Astrogation (2) 16/8/4

System Operation 14/7/3

Communication (1) 15/7/3

Weapons (2) 16/8/4

WIL

Awareness 8/4/2

Perception (2) 10/5/2

PER

Interaction 8/4/2

Gear- Jumpsuit, 9mm charge pistol

Okay. This is the final version of Corso, statistically speaking. Notes, bonuses/penalties, background, etc. will be added when formal profiles are posted. I added a trauma pack and first aid kit to her gear, as well as ammo and different armor.

Code:
Hero’s Name: Annwn Corso	Player’s Name:                  Species: Mutant (Human)   
Gender: Female                  Profession: Diplomat/Tech-Op	Career: Xenoengineer (Corp. Scientist)
Attributes: Vengeance, Amoral, Calm, Confident 		        Last Resorts: 3/3
Setting: 			Gamemaster:		        Last Resort Cost: 1

Ability Scores		
STR:	8 (+1)		Durability: 8 / 8 / 4 / 4
DEX:	11 (+1)		Action Check: 14+ / 13 / 6 / 3
CON:	8		# Actions: 2
INT:	14 (+1)		Action Check Modifier: +d0
WIL:	10 (+0)		Movement: Sprint: 18  Run: 12  Walk: 4  Easy Swim: 2 Swim: 4
PER:	14		Psionic Energy: 0 / 0

Special Abilities:				
Perks:	Concentration (3), Great Looks (3)
Flaws:	Obsessed (2), Powerful Enemy (4)		

Height: 5’6						 
Weight: 140
Hair: Red
Eyes: Red
Wealth: 

Attack Forms										
Unarmed	                4/2/1	+d4	LI/O	Personal	d4s/d4+1s/d4+2s
Pistol, 9mm ch		11/5/2	+d4	LI/O	8/16/60  	d4+1w/d6+1w/d4m

Defenses
CF Longcoat				LI d4 / HI d4 /EN d6-2
Milano GX CF Bodysuit		        LI d8-1 / HI d8-1 /EN d6

Gear                 
Briefcase 	 	                Bioholster 	
Multiband Comm Gear  	                Glasses 
Blouse, dress 	                        Shoes, business 
Underclothes (sexy or daring) 		Toolkit, Specialized 	
Science Gauntlet, Marginal 	 	Goggles, Magnifying 	 	
Minitorch D30 Flashlight 	 	Trousers, Rauss Co. 	 	
Milano GX CF Bodysuit 	 	 	9mm charge pistol 	 	
Watch, Shock-Resistant 	 	 	Trauma pack I 	 	
Medcare One First Aid Kit 	 	Ammunition Clip (Electrochemical Rounds) (2)	
CF Longcoat

Athletics		STR		Broad		8/4/2		+d4

Mod Ranged Weapons	DEX		Broad		11/5/2		+d4
Vehicle Operation	DEX		Broad		11/5/2		+d4

Stamina			CON		Broad		8/4/2		+d4

Business                INT             Broad           14/7/3          +d0
-Corporate              INT             Rank 2          16/8/4          -d4 
Knowledge		INT		Broad		14/7/3		+d4
-Computer Operation	INT		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0
Technical Science       INT             Broad           14/7/3          +d4
-Artifact Knowledge     INT             Rank 1          15/7/3          +d0
-Invention              INT             Rank 1          15/7/3          +d0
-Repair                 INT             Rank 1          15/7/3          +d0
-Robotics               INT             Rank 1          15/7/3          +d0
-Technical Knowledge    INT             Rank 2          16/8/4          +d0
-Xenoengineering        INT             Rank 2          16/8/4          +d0

Administration          WIL             Broad           10/5/2          +d4
-Bureaucracy            WIL             Rank 1          11/5/2          +d0
-Management             WIL             Rank 1          11/5/2          +d0
Awareness		WIL		Broad		10/5/2		+d4
Investigate		WIL		Broad		10/5/2		+d4
-Research		WIL		Rank 1		11/5/2		+d0

Culture                 PER             Broad           14/7/3          +d4
-Etiquette (Corp.)      PER             Rank 1          15/7/3          +d0
Interaction		PER		Broad		14/7/3		+d4
-Bargain		PER		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0

Skill Points Spent: 64
Skill Points Stored: 1
AP Need for Next Level: 5
Earned AP: 0 / 5

Mutations: Enhanced Intelligence, Enhanced Personality, Improved Dexterity, Night Vision, Vascular Control

Drawbacks: Environmental Sensitivity- Cold (Moderate), Minor Physical Change- Eyes, Fangs (Moderate)

Archived