Alternity: The Elements of Eternity - Alternity PL8 Discussion

Alright, all this talk of space marines and aliens and all that crap has got me thinking about some Alternity fun in a Sci-fi campaign.

I know most don't know what Alternity is, well, it's pretty much TSRs shot at a universal system that could any style of play. 100% customizable and 100% fun in my opinion.

I have the quick play rules (which are free to distribute) avail for D/L to anyone interested, just ask me below and I'll PM you the link to my D/L spot (I don't like putting things like that in public threads).

But first I'd like to talk about it with everyone and get a discussion going about it. I could only handle about 3-5 players, and I'm not lying when I say it can move slowly sometimes. Real life is a priority for me and as much as I love gaming, I have to handle the real stuff first.

Like I said before, it'd most likely be a Fith Element/Xenosaga sorta game wit ha slight anime bend to it. Psionics, Magic, Hi-Tech equipment, etc...

So hit me up, talk to me, ask questions about the rules and learn some things.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno how those other systems work, but Alternity is easy. You have a control die (d20) and that die determines everything. It's effected by 'steps' (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12) which can be bonuses or penalties. Each step adds or subtracts from your skill rolls.

Success is measured in Ordinary, Good, or Amazing. The lower you get the better.

So lets say you have a skill roll of 14/7/3 for pistol. 14-8 is an ordinary success, 7-4 is a good success, and 3-1 is an amazing success. You roll and get a '12', you've succeeded with an ordinary success.

Now, lets say you have a +3 step penalty. Since we want low rolls (c'mon '1's!) a penalty actually adds to your die roll. Count on the step chart... d4, d6, d8... a d8 is three 'steps'. We roll the control die (d20) and get a 2! But we also roll an 8 on the step die. 8+2 = 10. Our final roll is 10 which is still an ordinary success, but the penalty has robbed us of our amazing success.

Had the 3 steps been a bonus it would have subtracted from the control die roll. So if you rolled a 10 on the control die, and an 8 on the step die 10-8 = 2. The bonus helped you achieve an amazing success out of an ordinary one.

All in all you'll only ever be rolling two dice. Everything works like that, from magic, to psionics, to whatever.

You'll actually notice a lot of similarities between this game and 3rd edition D&D, which is why the Future d20 book has a "Star*Drive" setting in it. It was the ol' Alternity setting.

Aight, wha'chu wanna know next?

Well, to honest I haven't been working too much on the plot yet. If there's no interest there no game and there's no need for plot.

The setting will be pretty much be unlikely people become extraordinary heroes. Pretty much [players] vs. every goddamn person everywhere. They'll find themselves in the middle of something a gazillion times larger than anything they could have imagined and now everyone wants them dead before the heroes have the opportunity to foil the operations around this big secret

But to be honest, the last time I did a 'big secret' game, no one was surprised.

Some features would include:

Psionics - Mindwalkers, people who use the powers of the mind to create a variety of effects. Basically, "The Force"

Aether - Scientifically unexplainable, it is the ethereal essence that permits the use of a power called 'Magic'. Although science can not explain it, they've discovered ways to fabricate technology that can harness its power, or at least, are trying to.

Androids - Available as PCs. Robots that are so advanced they appear human and are capable of artificially emulating emotions.

All Sorts of Drama - Everything from Action, to tragedy, to comedy, to romance are possible. A good game should have all these elements.

Mecha - mobile battle suits rangin from 3 meters tall to 48. Some Mecha, like the Four Horsemen are rumored to be invincible and constructed with alien technology.

A Janitor Named Guss - He's a janitor. He's named Guss.

A person who uses Psionics but is not a Mindwalker is called a 'Talent'. They are no where near as capable as a true Mindwalker, but they can still harness a few powers.

The only hard and fast rule is that robots may not wield Psionics or Aether.

So yes, a babe in powered armor may very well be a Telekinetic Talent.

Prolly all Human, I may allow a custom species if asked, but the canon ones suck (except the Aleerans and the T'sa).

A character may be a mutant, yes.

Genetic Augmentation is basically mutation, so see above.

A whole galaxy, and as many planets as you guys wanna visit, or the plot takes you. I know you have the core books Max, if you have the Star*Drive book, read up on The Verge.

Cybernetics would be allowed, yes.

With the discovery of Aether religion has taken on a whole new meaning. Religion is varied, but I doubt anyone could ever tell you 'Jesus Christ' was anymore, even if you used flashcards to help them out.

The year would be about 2710.

I'm kinda working on a time line for the setting, thing is, I don't want to put hours into typing up a setting when people don't even know how the rules work yet.

I'd rather discuss getting people acquainted with how the system work before jumping into a setting. While we're discussing the game and how things work, I can be working on setting stuff.

Sounds good Rorx. I'd prefer characters to be Heroes, not Villains, just something to keep in mind while brain storming.

Take a look at the 'Bounty Hunter' Career, it's close to a 'Hitman' template. Having played a mutant Hitman/Bounty Hunter before you can take my word on that one. smile

We'll stick with the Core races.

I've scrawled up the time line up, the game'll be in 2710. Maybe this'll spark some discussion and questions.

2047 – The fusion generator is developed. Six world powers divide Earth: the American States, the European Union, the Asiatic Federation, the Pacific Bloc, the Indo-African League, and Microsoft. A period of peace prosperity begins.

2064 – The Pacific Bloc builds the first permanent lunar colony.

2073 – Permanent manned colonies on Mars are established.

2106 – The mass reactor is developed by the Indo-African League, forever changing the world. A period of tension and competition begins amongst the world power that eventually involves even the client states.

2110 – The first spacecraft fitted with mass reactor power sources roll off the assembly lines, and system explorer vessels are quickly developed. Over the next 50 years, the world powers explore, catalogue, divide, and finally colonize most of the solar system.

2124 – Humans make first contact with the Fraal.

2154 – The Borealis Republic founded on earth.

2160 – Fraal science combines with human technology to create the stardrive. With this new engine, space vessels can now travel out of the solar system at relatively fast speeds due to the stardrive’s ability to access drivespace.

2183 – The Orlamu Foundation, later the Theocracy, colonizes planets of their own.

2193 – VoidCorp constructs the first drivespace communications satellite.

2218 – First fortess-class ships are designed and construction begins.

2230 – The first fortress ships, vessels capable of leaping 25 light-years in a single starfall, are completed. A new era of exploration and colonization begins.

2241 – More than 100 star systems fall under the control of the various Earth powers and growing colonial powers. Ties to Earth begin to fray.

2246 – The Orlamu Theocracy makes first contact with the Weren.

2250 – The Earth alliances declare the formation of the Terran Empire to stem the tide of colonial nationalism and retain control of their extensive holdings.

2263 – Gregor Kent founds the first Thuldan colonies.

2267 – Nariac Domain is declared.

2271 – The Hatire Community is formed.

2273 – The mechalus civilization is encountered by the Rigunmor Star Consortium.

2274 – VoidCorp encounters the sesheyans.

2291 – Civil war begins in the Borealis Republic.

2296 – First contact with the t’sa.

2298 – The Thuldan Colonial Authority declares independence.

2299 – The First Galactic War begins, partially incited by the refusal of the t’sa to join the great Terran Empire or one of it’s young colonies. The Terran Empire seeks to crush the rebellious colonies. The Guilder Conclave declares the independence of the Rigunmor Star Consortium.

2310 – StarMech declares itself an independent nation.

2312 – The First Galactic War ends with the signing of the Treaty of Earth. The Terran Empire is replaced by the Union of Sol. Twenty-six stellar nations are recognized. The Interbellum begins. It’s a period of new exploration, scientific growth, and development. The ultimate range of the stardrive increases from 25 to 50 light-years.

2314 – The explorers reach the Verge. Members of the StarMech Collective explore the Tendril system.

2321 – Four nations, the Orion Nation, the Nordic Independent State, Free Kyrene Society, and New Columbia from The Orion League.

2343 – The Hammer Research Group explores Hammer’s Star, the last system in the Verge to be settled during the Interbellum.

2346 – The Mutant Uprising of Tau Ceti sparks the Second Galactic War. Nastier than the first, this war plunges humanity into a violent dark are.

2361 – Emperor Decret announces the formation of the Expansion Pentad, which includes the Thuldan Empire, VoidCorp, the Hatire Community, the Nariac Domain, and the Dreth Commonwealth. The Orion League and the Borealis Republic announce the formation of the FreeSpace Alliance. The Rigunmor Star Consortium, the Union of Sol, Austrin-Ontis Unlimited, and StarMech together form the alliance known as Profit.

2375 – The Battle of Kendai. The drivespace communications link to the Verge is destroyed.

2394 – Representatives from Insight, a division of VoidCorp, clandestinely meet with leaders of the FreeSpace Alliance and share Expantion Pentad plans and secrets.

2401 – The turning point of the war is fought at the Battle of Songham. The Thuldan Empire and the Expantion Pentad are pushed back after almost 70 years of success. The “gentlemen’s agreement” between the FreeSpace Alliance and Profit ends.

2460 – Insight declares its independence. The VoidCorp Grid crashes.

2465 – Leaders of the three great alliances meet to negotiate a peace at the Alkaid Conference.

2472 – After years of effort, an agreement is signed to end the Second Galactic War. The Treaty of Concord establishes the Galactic Concord, a political body made up of representatives of each stellar nation and designed to maintain the peace, settle disputes, and bring unity to the galaxy. The stellar nations go about the business of reconstruction.

2489 – The Borealis Colony on Spes, a planet orbiting Hammer’s Star in the Verge, is attacked and destroyed by unknown forces.

2496 – The Kendai drivespace relay is rebuilt. Contact with the Verge is reestablished, transmitting a seven-year-old recorded distress call from Hammer’s Star.

2497 – The Concord fortress ship Monitor arrives in the Verge and begins a tour of major star systems on the way to Hammer’s Star. The Monitor finds the Silver Bell colony a battered ruin.

2501 – A species known as the Klick are discovered to be responsible for the destruction of the Silver Bell Colony.

2508 - The Battle of Tychus. The Klick are pushed back from the Verge by the Concord Military. The Klick disappear as quickly as they came, rumors abound that it was merely them testing the Verge's military strength.

2525 - Drivewave generator created, the Energy Age (PL 8) begins!

2537 - With the discovery of the drivewave technology the Union of Sol sets out to explore The Far Reach.

2540 - The Thuldan Empire invades Kendai. They're pushed back but not before they make off with a undisclosed artifact.

2547 - The Union of Sol fortress ship the Intrepid makes contact with a species called the Arcane in the Far Reach. A commerce driven society, the Arcane offer to share their secrets, for a price. The Monitor disappears with out a trace.

2550 - Aether, taught by the Arcane, is introduced into the galaxy. Like Psionics, it quickly becomes a focal point for technological research. VoidCorp attempts to contact the Arcane but the starsystem they are discovered in no longer exists in any database or starchart.

2573 - The drivespace communication array to the Verge is destroyed again. Contact is cut off from the The Stellar Ring for the second time.

2600 - Bill Gates finally dies when the super computer his mind was transferred to suffers a B.S.O.D during a standard Grid update. VoidCorp mourns his loss, but penguins every where rejoice.

2602 - A race calling itself the Kroath invade the Verge from unknown space. With out communication relays the Stellar Ring remains unaware.

2612 - The Battle of Oberon. Kroath fortress ships nearly annialate the Oberon System. When the Concord military is about lost Klick war ships drop from starfall and begin battling the Kroath. The Kroath are driven back by the Klick, but the Klick leave without reply to any communication attempts.

2630 - The first aetherdrive prototype is tested by the StarMech Collective and is a failure. The resulting explosion makes an entire planet in StarMech space uninhabitable.

2648 - The first wetware android is created.

2655 - Drivewave communications are implemented, permitting communication across the galaxy with out the need for relays. The Verge, having been kept from the Stellar Ring for so long, is now a lawless place where the Concord military is barely able to keep the peace.

2670 - Guss the Janitor is born.

2698 - In an attempt to invade the several systems within the Verge, the Thuldan Empire along with the Expansion Pentad spark the Third Galactic War. They refuse to negotiate.

2710 - Present day. The Expansion Pentad still refuses to give no quarter, the Galactic Concord declares Marshall Law in the Verge.

A lot of gaps aren't there? I figured if this thing kicks off, we'll fill them in.

After chatting with Dave a bit about this (it's hard not to when I see him all the time!), I've wrangled a few more details out of him. (I don't think he's already posted them here, but I might've missed it.)

He said he's considering a Serenity/Firefly setup, with the characters forming a ragtag band of misfits that find themselves stuck in the middle of a Very Bad Situation.

He also doesn't mind if there's some overlap in classes, because there are plenty of options and ways to make the characters unique.

I've got an idea for a character rolling around in my head, and I like her... So if this doesn't get off the ground, I'll have to try to talk him into running a TT game. wink

Eeee...I hope it does though because I want some sci fi goodness.

I am thinking perhaps an android, or cybered up person... Perhaps ex-military or ex-field intel.

I have a supplement too that describes a Scout service which might be fun.

Come on, people! Space opera! Sci Fi! There's gotta be more peeps out there that are into this. smile

Well, as I told Max today, my first concept is a tech-op, a former corporate drone (tentatively) specializing in robotics and xeno-engineering; a little obsessed, a little vengeful, and more than a little crazy. She's more a mad scientist/inventor than a greasemonkey, and except for being able to fire a gun she wouldn't be much help in a fight. Brains- not brawn.

I was looking at (in broad themes, not plagerized characters :)):

Super Android - KOSMOS in Xenosaga, various Terminator movies, assorted other anime tales.

Cyborg Operative - Kusanagi in Ghost In The Shell, Battle Angel, Bionic Man/Woman/Etc, and so on.

Psi Agent - Warhammer 40k had 'inquisitors' similar in theme. Intel-trained mindwalker, or possibly a Free Agent with a Talent.

Mutant Scout - Either the result of genetic engineering, or the 'beneficiary' of an unusual find out in the deep black. Possibly has an Artifact in possession. Outdoorsy and survival skills. May have unusual needs due to flaws.

Just Zis Guy, Ya Know? - Human being, with some training and gear. Pilot maybe. Bemused by the eccentricity around him. The Xander.

Alright, that's 4 if Max ever picks something...

I'm not going to request anything from Chosen until we've all had more time to chat it over, so let's get to brain storming.

As Vivi said, you can be a mecha pilot or an Ex one, or a guy who hopes to be one, but it's hard to be a mecha pilot when mechs aren't starting equipment, I'm sorry, but 1.5 million dollar machines aren't in the PCs starting budget. But, do not fret, I hope all the PCs will eventually end up with personalized mecha.

As for the android, it's doable, and buying upgrades for yourself is always fun.

Pretty much, as long as you're pretty much a Heroic character it's avail to you, but remember, you'll have to be working together, so be sure and compliment each other.

Dave the Bounty hunter/hitman/Mindwalker thing was no biggy, just thinking of an old Shadowrun Mage character. He was a sniper/hitman but since no-one met those rates on runs, he ended up using non-lethal rounds most of the time, as they weren't paying him enough to kill anyone. smile

Basically he will just be a Mindwalker who is unusually good with a gun, for a Mindwalker at least.

60 as standard, Level 1. Abilities range from 4-14 for a human. 7-10 is the average person on the street while 11+ are the exceptionally gifted.

Compare them to D&D Stats.

Code:
D&D          Alternity
3-4             4
5-6             5
7               6
8               7
9-10            8
11-12           9
13-14           10
15              11
16              12
17              13
18              14

Professions are pretty easy:

Combat Spec - Soldiers, Warriors, etc. Requires a STR 11, CON 9

Diplomat - Specializeing social skills, learns a second profession in case negotiation fails. Requires PER 11, WIL 9

Free Agent - Pretty much the rogues and scoundrels of the professions, but often enough people who just follow their own path. Requires DEX 11, WIL 9

Tech Op - Technical Operatives. Scientists, Doctors, Engineers. Gearheads and intellectuals. A must have for any ship crew. Requires DEX 9, INT 11

Mindwalker - Wielderds of the minds ultimate potential. Requires CON 9, INT 9, WIL 11.

If anyone is having trouble I'll be glad to help, just ask. I'm usually in chat or just leave a post.

Take a look at a sample character sheet, the movement isn't right, but it's a minor thing. This is done in word.

Code:
Hero’s Name: Jon Erebus		Player’s Name: 
Species: Human     Gender: Male	Profession: Combat Spec	Career: Mercenary
Attributes: 								Last Resorts: 1/1
Setting: 				Gamemaster:			Last Resort Cost: 3

Ability Scores		
STR:	12 (+1)		Durability: 12 / 12 / 6 / 6
DEX:	11 (+1)		Action Check: 16+ / 15 / 7 / 3
CON:	12		# Actions: 2
INT:	11 (+1)		Action Check Modifier: +d0
WIL:	8  (+0)		Movement: Sprint: 20  Run: 12  Walk: 4  Easy Swim: 2 Swim: 4
PER:	8		Psionic Energy: 0 / 0

Special Abilities:				
Perks:	Ambidextrous	(4)
Flaws:	Code of Honor (3), Temper (4)		

Height: 5’11						 
Weight: 210
Hair: Black
Eyes: Reptilian
Wealth:

Attack Forms										
Power Martial Arts	13/6/3	+d0	LI/O	Personal	d6+1s/d6+3s/d4+1w
TN Blade		13/6/3	-d4	LI/G	Personal	d6+1w/d6+2w/d4+1m
Valkyrie-9 Autolaser	14/7/3	+d0	EN/O	SMG		d6+1w/d6+3w/d4+1m

Defenses
Unarmored	                	d0/d0/d0	Ordinary
Bushmaster Cerametal Armor		LI d4+2 / HI d6 / EN d6	Ordinary
CF Longcoat				LI d4 / HI d4 /EN d6-2

Gear

Skill			Ability		Rank		Score		Base Die
Athletics		STR		Broad		12/6/3		+d4
Armor Operation		STR		Broad		12/6/3		+d4
-Combat Armor		STR		Rank 1		13/6/3		+d0
Melee Weapons		STR		Broad		12/6/3		+d4
-Blade			STR		Rank 1		13/6/3		-d4
-Powered Weapon		STR		Rank 1		13/6/3		+d0

Mod Ranged Weapons	DEX		Broad		12/6/3		+d4
-SMG			DEX		Rank 2		14/6/3		+d0
Vehicle Operation	DEX		Broad		12/6/3		+d4
-Starships		DEX		Rank 1		13/6/3		+d0

Stamina			CON		Broad		10/5/2		+d4

Knowledge		INT		Broad		10/5/2		+d4
- english		INT		Rank 3		13/6/3		+d0

Awareness		WIL		Broad		8/4/2		+d4
Resolve			WIL		Broad		8/4/2		+d4
-Physical		WIL		Rank 1		9/4/2		+d0

Interaction		PER		Broad		8/4/2		+d4
-Bargain		PER		Rank 1		9/4/2		+d0
-Intimidate		PER		Rank 1		9/4/2		+d0

Level: 1
Skill Points Spent: 0
Skill Points Stored: 1
AP Need for Next Level: 6
Earned AP: 0 / 6

Mutations Vascular Control, Redundant Vital Organs, Hyper Healing, Environmental Sensitivity, Minor Physical Change

Equipment

Background

It might be easier to ask me questions now that you can see what you'll be making. If anyone needs help with formatting I'll be happy to help out.

VoidCorp "employees," for example, get the Business broad skill, and one rank in the Business- Corporate specialization for free. They also require one less achievement point to advance in level, but they can never trade that permanent point in for skills and such.

Here's a rough draft of my PC.

Code:
Hero’s Name: Annwn Corso	Player’s Name:                  Species:    
Gender: Female                  Profession: Diplomat/Tech-Op	Career: Xenoengineer (Corp. Scientist)
Attributes: Vengeance, (Morality?), Calm, Confident 		Last Resorts: 3/3
Setting: 			Gamemaster:		        Last Resort Cost: 1

Ability Scores		
STR:	8 (+1)		Durability: 8 / 8 / 4 / 4
DEX:	11 (+1)		Action Check: 14+ / 13 / 6 / 3
CON:	8		# Actions: 2
INT:	14 (+1)		Action Check Modifier: +d0
WIL:	10 (+0)		Movement: Sprint: 18  Run: 12  Walk: 4  Easy Swim: 2 Swim: 4
PER:	14		Psionic Energy: 0 / 0

Special Abilities:				
Perks:	Concentration (3), Great Looks (3)
Flaws:	Obsessed (2), Powerful Enemy (4)		

Height: 5’6						 
Weight: 140
Hair: Red
Eyes: Red
Wealth: 

Attack Forms										
Unarmed	                4/2/1	+d4	LI/O	Personal	d4s/d4+1s/d4+2s
Pistol, 9mm ch		11/5/2	+d4	LI/O	8/16/60  	d4+1w/d6+1w/d4m

Defenses
CF Longcoat				LI d4 / HI d4 /EN d6-2

Gear                 
Bioholster                              Blouse, dress 
Briefcase                               Gauntlet, Marginal 
Glasses                                 Goggles, Magnifying 
Minitorch D30 Flashlight                Multiband Comm Gear 
Shoes, business                         Toolkit, Specialized 
Trousers, Rauss Co.                     Underclothes (sexy or daring) 

Skill			Ability		Rank		Score		Base Die
Athletics		STR		Broad		8/4/2		+d4

Mod Ranged Weapons	DEX		Broad		11/5/2		+d4
Vehicle Operation	DEX		Broad		11/5/2		+d4
-Starships		DEX		Rank 1		12/6/3		+d0

Stamina			CON		Broad		8/4/2		+d4

Business                INT             Broad           14/7/3          +d0
-Corporate              INT             Rank 2          16/8/4          -d4 
Knowledge		INT		Broad		14/7/3		+d4
-Computer Operation	INT		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0
Technical Science       INT             Broad           14/7/3          +d4
-Invention              INT             Rank 1          15/7/3          +d0
-Repair                 INT             Rank 1          15/7/3          +d0
-Robotics               INT             Rank 1          15/7/3          +d0
-Technical Knowledge    INT             Rank 2          16/8/4          +d0
-Xenoengineering        INT             Rank 2          16/8/4          +d0

Administration          WIL             Broad           10/5/2          +d4
-Bureaucracy            WIL             Rank 1          11/5/2          +d0
-Management             WIL             Rank 1          11/5/2          +d0
Awareness		WIL		Broad		10/5/2		+d4
Investigate		WIL		Broad		10/5/2		+d4
-Research		WIL		Rank 1		11/5/2		+d0

Culture                 PER             Broad           14/7/3          +d4
-Etiquette (Corp.)      PER             Rank 1          15/7/3          +d0
Interaction		PER		Broad		14/7/3		+d4
-Bargain		PER		Rank 1		15/7/3		+d0

Level: 1
Skill Points Spent: 0
Skill Points Stored: 0
AP Need for Next Level: 5
Earned AP: 0 / 5

Mutations: Enhanced Intelligence, Enhanced Personality, Improved Dexterity, Night Vision, Vascular Control

Drawbacks: Environmental Sensitivity (Moderate), Minor Physical Change (Moderate)

Try not to make a one-trick pony, if you can help it, because unless Max makes a combat-monkey, we won't have a single combat-oriented PC in the group.

EDIT:

So far we have: Adrian's character, a medic/fixer (Diplomat/Tech-Op), Long's character, who is a pilot/navigator (Tech-Op, I think), and my character, who is an ex-corporate xeno-engineer (Diplomat/Tech-Op.)

One way or another, I'm probably making a combat monkey.

Though I do want to have some decent breadth of applicable skills.

Stealth and combat...depending on how it goes, maybe even some hacking. AI's are good for that. smile

Unless someone's already got it, in which case, coo'.

Archived