Starcraft RPG

Stargaizer

Ok, I had someone over on another forum come up with a WoD mechanics based Starcraft RPG. I don't know if anybody here would be interested in running one of these, but I've included in this zip file the rules for making a Protoss, a Terran, a sample Ghost (there might be a few points added after play started, I don't remember, we didn't play very long so it wouldn't be very many if any at all) and the setting that the creator came up with.

Any takers?

http://boxstr.com/files/3557204_yhqyz/Starcraft%20RPG.zip

Starcraft works best with Alternity rules. Just my opinion, but seriously, I've never seen a system mesh so well with the 'feel' of the game.

If people here actually knew Alternity rules I'd be willing to attempt running a space opera Starcraft/Xenosaga-esque sorta game.

Big guns, mecha, awesome explosions, weird aliens, and prolly some really kewl and completely unneeded shower scenes.

Not a bad idea though Star.

Rev, I think that most of the people here were saying that they'd be interested (pseudo-signing up) in the game that you were talking about. Also, it's not a WoD game, except for the mechanics (stats, d10's, etc). It's set completely in the StarCraft universe.

For anybody who wasn't talking about Rev's idea, you can get all the info I have by following the link and downloading (and unzipping) the text documents that I have on the game.

I was just looking at this because I'm a big StarCraft fan, and I like the idea of the game being specifically so (which I'm sure that you could do).

Rev, would you be interested in teaching some people (or pointing us to where we could procure (preferably free)) the rules for Alternity?

Well, I've discovered a torrent that has every Alternity book ever published in pdf. However I'm not quite sure the legality of it considering that is hasn't been in print for over a decade and the company that published it is out of business (TSR) so I'm not going to discuss it here where Chosen might catch any heat over it (or me for that matter).

well, at boxstr you can create free accounts (if you'd be interested) and they seem pretty cool (only thing is I've found that I can't upload .pdf's, because when you download them they won't open... so I just zip them, then everything works fine)

I'd be interested, but I'm not going to be at my house (read a computer where I can download things) at least until next wednesday, so I'll have to wait on the rules.

Oh, and I'm a Ghost, through and through (hope you don't mind two)

Well, to be clear IF I decide to try and run some sort of game using Alternity rules I doubt it'll be a Starcraft game. Sure, it may be one race vs. a shit storm of odd creatures in the galaxy, but it won't be Starcraft.

Personally, I don't think Starcraft makes for interesting gaming, although the Alternity rules are perfect for Starcraft (I've played it and own the rule books for for it) it's just too much 'hack n' slash' and not enough space-drama.

More than likely what it would feel like is 'Fifth Element' or 'Xenosaga' with a smidgen of shit that physics can't explain (like magic).

So don't get your hopes up yet people. We'll see, but I'm not promising anything, okay?

I think the Starcraft universe has good potential for RP...though it would take a pretty large amount of work extrapolating things out from admittedly spotty and incomplete canon.

And it would impose a lot of constraints on creativity in the process.

In short, I'm not opposed to any hypothetical game not being Starcraft. Just digging on space opera.

from the two or three scenes that I actually got through with this system (re: first post), it actually has room for some good RP, and so long as you don't mind being classed (ghost, marine, etc.) there is actually a suprisingly large ammount of wiggle room for customization.

I'd like StarCraft, anything else isn't enough to pull a third char out of me.

I think it would be a hell of a lot of work to come up with an interesting and engaging RP game (especially a forum-based one) based on Starcraft, specifically. I've played the games, and the story they came up with seems to have been just tacked on to the "kill lots of things before lots of things kill you" video game framework. It's hard enough to make a smooth transition from PC/Console game to RPG, and while I realize some people might be interested in a hardcore space military game in which most of your interactions will (based on canon) consist of barking orders, shooting, having orders barked at you, getting blown up, or having your face eaten by hordes of aliens... I'm not sure how worthwhile it would be.

If people want a space opera type of game, it's possible, but the options in an actual "Starcraft" game seem pretty limited.

Where would the RP come in, though? What do you do besides go out and kill things and talk to each other over coffee, or complain about the pointlessness of war? I get what you're saying about the game being mission-based, which is cool, but there really doesn't seem (with my limited knowledge) to be very much to do in a specifically Starcraft game, especially given the lack of detailed setting info. Even the "setting" info document is about 2.5 pages, but it doesn't really tell you anything useful IMO- at least, nothing in-depth enough to let you run a decent game. Admittedly, the idea really isn't all that appealing to me (and I love Shadowrun), so maybe I'm just not putting enough thought into it.

Yeah, you could run a non-military themed game in the Starcraft universe, but your earlier observation about the amount of work required was spot on. You'd basically be making it up whole-cloth, then tacking on some familiar names for stuff.

A military themed game can be fun. The RP comes during the conflicts (combats can have RP too :)), but mostly in the downtime vignettes on base or on leave.

I was in a game like that where the space marines were based loosely on Aliens, and it was a blast. That said, we had two real ex-Marines (and one was the GM) in the gang, so they really helped establish an authentic atmosphere for both the combats and downtimes.

It can be done, but it's not easy. I've been one a couple that just failed miserably too.

I'm not hung up on any given setting, system, or whatever. I just want some sci fi goodness. Within that, I'm flexible. smile

I love the StarCraft game, and while it does describe an inter species war, there are decidely political elements as well. Lots of your missions involve higher ups backstabbing each other and the cut scenes and such show a rich sci-fi universe. You don't have to play a War game if you don't want to, although I don't see anything wrong with War based RPGs...soldiers have alot of interesting psychology. For example, in another game I am in based around soldiers in the suck, I am playing a combat medic with all the drama that entails.

Well said SL. As a ghost, the missions were black, espionage agaisnt other humans who were hurting the war effort against the Zerg. That being said, there were options w/in the grunts too, especially with the Queen of Blades in charge of the opposition (and Cerebrates who may or may not be happy with it). Also, the Protoss and the Terrans still don't know that much about each other, but they're working together now (after having fought in the past)(humans who were fighting two alien species as well as other humans, now working with one alien species against the other alien species while still fighting yet other humans, fun-fun)

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a lot of work to come up with the framework for a StarCraft game, but once you create all of the political intrigue and the rest of the world, it can be a fairly interesting place to live. (though, granted, it is more interesting for 'heroes' or other higher ranking characters than grunts, but it can still work).

Archived