Aberrant RPG - Leaping Movement

SkyLion

Quote:
I freely admit I take any and everything Dave says to me as hostile at this point.

Guys, seriously, I appreciate the effort to come to the defense (of either of us) but this really isn't worth it.

He doesn't want to make the effort, so there's no reason that I should. Let's just leave it at that.

I won't be posting anymore in this thread, it's a waste of all our time.

As I said, g'luck with your little power thingie dude.

Originally Posted By: Cohen
Not really.. but kinda! I wanted to see the 'all or nothing' scenario played out. Like I said.

What good would that do? The 'scenario' would basically be me not being here. But seeing as I have 5 (soon to be 6-7) active characters, I don't see myself leaving any time soon...

Sky, you are never ever allowed to use me in one of your discussions again. I'm tired of having my name thrown around and getting bounded off walls...

Now, (and this is just for clarification) What I was suggesting was that the Downside to the power which gives it some balance is that you cannot change directions mid leap (ie dodge) and you have to have something to leap off of, and land on. Yes you could leap straight up and end your turn in mid air, but the next round is going to be spent under the influence of gravity as you complete the other half of your arc.

Yes you could take multiple actions; no reason you couldn't leap through the air while firing a gun like Neo. Of course doing so means you are going to be less accurate (splitting die pools).

No, you could not make multiple jumps in one turn without extra actions via an enhancement like quickness.

I was not suggesting that hypermovement be included in the power. Or if that's the way it came out that wasn't what I meant. I mean that you could buy hypermovement based on this power. Any movement can be paired with hypermovement. Would there be consequences to do thing this? Sure.

Like Rev said running or flying faster than the speed of sound has consequences both to the mover and their surroundings. Smacking into the side of a building because you miss a turn at mach 3 is going to screw you both up pretty bad.

I really like Rev's suggested power. Tongue in cheek or not it's a good suggestion.

You want to jump at superspeed add hypermovement to Anime leap! then there will be consequences.

On the other hand, I will point out again that this system allows you to define the special effects of your powers. Thus allowing for customization without the need to create a new power for every conceivable power effect, ie lightning bolt, laser eyes, firebreath of doom. They are all just Qbolt defined the way you want to define them but subject to the limitations of whatever that power happens to be - Firebreath of doom won't effect someone immune to fire, etc.

You could still take flight + hypermovement and just define them as jumping, that is perfectly by the rules. If you define it as jumping it would be subject to the physics of jumping though. It does all depend on how you define the power. As players of City of Heroes can attest, Super Leap even allows for some ability to change directions mid leap. So while it doesn't follow physics, it is doable. One major supers franchise specifically has a power that does that, no reason you couldn't do it in aberrant. You could do it by taking flight + hypermovement and defining it that way. That is by the rules and I would allow it in a game I ran. Just keep in mind that the more stuff you add in the more it costs in terms both of NPs to buy the powers and quantum to fuel them. The flash was the ultimate runner, but he didn't do much but move fast because he was specialized in that. You want to be the ultimate jumper it might cost you more than you want to spend or you might not be able to create the character you envision with the NPs you have available. You might have to build up to it. Just like my Jedi character doesn't have his force lightning yet or several of the other defining jedi/sith powers. It was just too expensive to do all in one go. He'll have them eventually though.

Quote:

I would still rather see this as a movement enhancement or simply as an application of hypermove. Both are more "elegant" than writing a new power and getting it approved. As for Feather Foot there is already an enhancement by that name.

This is getting something you are not paying for. See the above paragraph. Cramming all that benefit into a single enhancement or even a single power is not acceptable. If you want full on anime leaping with all it's potential of speed and versitility, that needs to be more than an enhancement, or even an L2 power. I'd make it an L3 IF I even allowed it to be a single power. Otherwise you are talking about <movement power>+hypermovement+quickness enhancement+enhancement allowing greater control to avoid the crashes.

Quote:
Sky, you are never ever allowed to use me in one of your discussions again. I'm tired of having my name thrown around and getting bounded off walls...

Dude first of all what are you talking about? I didn't use you, you answered on your own. Second of all, what exactly did I do wrong? Lets recap:

Originally Posted By: Fox
Dude, just take flight and say that it is jumping. Problem solved.......As an ST I would allow flight (defined as leaping) as a L1 power.

Originally Posted By: Me
I would say that's a good solution too. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Rev
So basically everything quantum leap does, without the distance but for an unlimited number of jumps within a scene for 1QP.

I said:
Quote:
Actually it was Fox who suggested that, not me.

I was referring to your suggestion that it be a level 1 power.

And that is all. The rest is all me and Rev. So where exactly did I wrong you? All the quote above was me informing Rev that the L1 Flight was your solution and not based on what I had said.

Is it me or have I been feeling a lot of hostility lately?

• 2 months later...

Well, my group has a resident comics freak who ran a couple interesting DC-based games with Abbie rules. He came up with this power specifically for those people who pull off Batman-type stuff. It might be a useful starting point.

Official Gratuitous Escapism material:

Power: Thieves' Highway

Level: 1

Quantum Minimum: 1

Dice Pool: Dexterity + Thieve's Highway

Range: Self

Area: N/A

Duration: Maintenance

Effect: Allows the character to move at the speed of (power rating x2) + 20 meters per action while in an urban or forested environment.

Multiple Actions: Per normal movement rules.

Description: Using a combination of grapples and roof running, the nova is able to traverse an area much more quickly than they could on their un-augmented feet. Her movement speed is equal to (power rating x2) + 20 meters per action in combat, or (10 x power rating) kilometers per hour out of combat.

No reason you can't file the serial numbers off and call it "super leaping."

You could also toss some ST-created weaknesses on Flight.

Enjoy.

Archived