Aberrant: In the Beginning - Meeting in Darkness and Snow

z-Wei Fang

The frozen lake in northeastern Greenland hadn't seen any of the dominant species in a long time. Explorers came occassionally, the Inuit more often, but most of the time, this lake was left alone.

The woman appeared out of no where, deeply bundled in heavy clothing. Shaking, she quickly set the gas lamp in her hands down, checking to make sure the flame was in no danger of going out. That done, she huddled into her suit and waited.

Maybe she should have picked something more hospitable, but Fang knew that this environment would inhibit her companion even more than it would Fang. And given the disparity in their physical abilities, Fang needed the edge.

Her date with Jay, completed just a couple of hours ago, seemed so far away from this frozen nightmare. Her warm bed, which she'd left when called by Sascha in the first place, seemed even further away. Fang stifled a yawn and shifted slightly. These clothes really were warm; she was almost comfortable.

Patiently, beneath the burning light of the aurora borealis, Fang waited for another kind of fire entirely.

The flame of the gas lamp flickered for a few seconds and with a flash an intensive heat wave spread around the immediate area. It took Fang's eyes a few seconds to adjust to the blazing fire that engulfed Fahrenheit's body. Slowly she hovered down to the frozen lake that extended to the horizon. The landscape was breathtaking in its purity.

Steam evaporated around her as Fahrenheit's feet touched the icy ground. Fahrenheit raised her hand carefully and concentrated on the gas lamp enhancing the heat the small fire radiated to a tolerable degree. Satisfied with the result Fahrenheit let the flames engulfing her retreat into her body.

Fahrenheit smiled at Fang and came slowly closer making sure she wouldn't appear threatening to Fang.

"What a wonderful place you've chosen for this meeting, Fang. But let us put the pleasentries aside, you know why I'm here Fang. You know what the future of our People looks like. I'm offering you some ideas and a forum for like minded Novus like you and I."

Fahrenheit waited a second before she added with a more warmer voice, "I need your help. Our People need your help, Fang."

Fang was shivering, but not from the cold. She was terrified of this woman who seemed unstable and was able to set a fire with the merest thought. "I have educated guesses about the future of our race and the humans," she admitted, relunctant to share her ideas with someone she didn't trust. "That is why I was trying to leave China before the New People were known. During my ascendence, I was able to predict that they'd start their enslavement program and I fled."

Fang tilted her head. "What ideas did you plan to offer to me? And what forum is this?"

Fahrenheit looked at Fang obviously thinking carefully about what to say next. The chinese woman was not to be underestimated and the truth was that she could really make good use of her if she joined her.

"It is less an idea, Fang. I can only tell you what I know and feel about our future. The future of the New People - the One Race. You have to decide for yourself how much of what I'm saying sounds true to you and what is just assumption, possibility.", Fahrenheit turned around and took another long look around the scenery. She took a deep breath before she continued.

"Humanity has always imprisoned, enslaved and exploited those who were different and not strong enough to free themselves. No matter how far civilisation has advanced it has never come past this point. Every humanbased society or organisation will be dominated by the urge to control and subjugate. Humans are driven by greed, corruption and a very narrow self-centered perspective. They will never find a way to step out of that darkness and into the light what true unity stands for.", Fahrenheit turned around again to face Fang.

"I won't tolerate that our people will be prostituted or enslaved for human goals and benefits. We should not be striving for acceptance in their society, we should build our own. We have the power and the abilities to avoid all the mistakes that humanity has done in its past. The future is ours. And we need bright minds like yours to establish a base. That is going to be the forum I mentioned. This is your chance to be part of it from the very beginning. I'm offering you a place in our council."

There was much more she had on her mind but Fahrenheit held back waiting for Fang's reply.

"They might find their way to enlightenment," Fang said softly. Her dark eyes were troubled behind the protective googles she wore. "After all, we spring from them, and individuals have shown the ability to rise above. But they are affected by a herd mentality. All it takes is one to begin a trend, one to stand up and act and they all will.

"I will not argue with you about humanity's intentions for us. We will be working for them - they outnumber us and we need them, for a time. But we will have to leave them behind someday, and they will not let us go," Fang said. Her eyes had risen, until she was looking at the undulating aurora borealis overhead. "I'd already decided much of this, and like when I left China, I made a choice. I choose my people, the New People, over the old people. I choose to work for their future, forsaking all else."

Her gloved hands were clasped in front of her, and she held them closer to the burning fire. "You seem to have a plan, Farhenheit. I'd like to hear it."

All this happened before and it will happen again..., Fahrenheit stared into the distance and had a short moment of lucidity. The scenery was simply awe-inspiring and for a short moment she felt very humbled.

Refocusing her mind to the conversation she knelt down to be eye to eye level with the chinese woman. With a short wave of her hand she intensified the heat again by a few degrees, she wanted Fang to feel as comfortable as possible.

"My long term vision is a unified nation of the One Race. I don't even know if it is going to be on Earth or somewhere else. Right now I don't see any reason to leave this beautiful planet. I believe we have as much right to be here like humanity has. After all you are right about one thing - we spring from them but until then they are never going to understand why we do what we do or understand who we are.", there was a short pause before Fahrenheit continued.

"I want to assemble like minded Novus. Create a council that will found our Novus Nation. We are a fledgling race and humanity will try to get as much hold of us as possible. If we don't find a way to defend and protect ourselves we're soon going to be slaves to their mandate. I'd rather die fighting than bow to any human master. I have met someone with enough resources and dedication to provide us with the necessary foundation for our movement. If we act swiftly we can prevent the worst and move forward from there. I don't expect every Novus to follow us or even to agree with my philosophy but those who do will find a home amongst us, a safe haven. I am aware that there will be Novus and other organisations or maybe even Nations like China that will oppose us and label us seperatists or even terrorists. I need you, your intelligence and your dedication to help the One Race become what we deserve.", as Fahrenheit spoke her body slowly engulfed itself in fire. Her zeal was fueled by something that went beyond religious fervor or simple conviction which gave her speech a literal as well as physical intensity. Fang could feel the heat of both Fahrenheit's words and ambition.

Fang was silent for a moment, gathering her thoughts. "Do we deserve to belong here? Absolutely. I was born here, well, in a small village in rural China. This is my birthplace, and my home. I deserve to be here. But I also know that at some point the cost of staying here may become too high. My children should be born here, but I will not allow them to suffer unnecessarily for that right.

"There is always going to be a balance, Fahrenheit," Fang continued. "There has to be. I know you don't want to bow to their will, but perhaps you should consider playing along with them. Giving them enough to believe that you bow to them, but keeping to your own course? They will destroy us if we give them the reason, and to them, just daring to exist for ourselves is a very good reason. If you're not careful, they will turn against you.

"Having a New People nation will be another reason for them to hate us, because nations need land, and all the habitable land on earth is claimed or is denied for countries to claim," Fang said. "I doubt you desires to be a landless nation - they exist and receive virtually no recognition. You will need to find a nation willing to give over its land, power and people to you, or take it from them, or find more. And all of these actions, even the last one, will scare the baselines. If this is not done carefully, it could ignite a war. And while I believe we would win, I do not wish to imagine the cost to us."

Fang stared into the flame for a moment and sighed. "I will help you. I can't not help you. But I will tell you hard truths, and I must know - when I tell you what you don't want to hear, will you listen to me?"

Fahrenheit stared for what seemed an eternity at Fang her eyes burning with an indescribable inner fire. She willed the flames back into her body and sighed before she answered, "You have as much right to speak your mind as I have. I will listen to you even if I don't like what I hear and I know that you don't trust me. We are both Novus but not the same. My future is directly connected to the vision I've been given. I will fulfill my destiny even if it means my death. As long as it serves the greater good of the One Race I gladly give my live for any single one of them. You know that I need you, that is your advantage. But there is much more to what I'm saying than meets the eye, Fang. I don't want to meddle much with humanity. I will leave that to Sascha or those Novus who know how to strike deals to our benefit."

Fahrenheit stood up again and let her eyes wander across the scenery again. "You know my temper, Fang. It is my nature. I don't want to start a war but I'm ready for it if it comes down on us. I trust in you and your abilities to prevent the worst for our People. That's all I'm asking from you. Just be aware that they will hunt us and enslave us if we don't draw a line to defend ourselves. I don't care about those Novus that want to play puppies to their baseline Masters. They as well may rot in hell if they chose to remain blinded. Sooner or later they'll learn the truth and then they'll be coming right to us and join our cause. As we speak Aeon is already trying to catch as many newly erupted Novus as possible and study them. For the sake of science and humanity, of course.", Fahrenheit's voice was full of irony, "But the truth also is that they are catologing us and trying to find our weaknesses in order to stay in control. They lure them with money - much money and most Novus who don't fully understand what is happening to them walk right into that trap. And you talk about balance? I don't see them giving us any chance to level the playing field so why should I fake playing along? It disgusts me.", Fahrenheit forced herself to stop talking else she would've intimidated Fang even more. She wanted so desperately to make her fellow Novus understand and she hoped that Fang would recognise the inevitable truth of her words.

"Of course they will attempt to use us to their own ends," Fang said patiently. "It is in their nature, and even in ours. You don't agree with me, but you sought me out because you believe you need me. Not for my good, not precisely, but for your plans. We use one another. It is what we do. The catch is whether we become refuse to allow others to use us for their ends.

"And that is why you should play along," Fang said. "They will use you, but you can use them in return. And we are much, much better at playing that game. They want us for what we can give them, and in return, we can ask a greater measure. We'll have the upper hand, so long as we keep it. Your actions erode that effort, Fahrenheit. Every time you burn a building or kill someone, every time someone hears you speak derisively of the humans, you destroy a little more of our freedoms. We are vastly outnumbered. There are a few dozen of us, at most. There are over five billion of them. Even with what we can do, we're facing extinction if we make them believe that we are a threat."

The tiny Chinese woman shifted slightly, knowing that she was delving into dangerous territory but trying to help. "The best thing you can do for the novus people is to let the humans think you are on their side."

Fahrenheit shook her head in refusal. She understood what Fang tried to say but it lacked enough foresight for her taste. She knew what was going to happen and every little space they gave away to the baselines would take twice as much effort to gain back. Now was the time to act.

"The poison Aeon has spread already clouded your mind and judgement, Fang. Do you honestly believe that we can have a peaceful coexistence the way you imagine it? Humanity fears us no matter how much you'll try to fit in. Some will look up to you and some will loathe your existence and once the mob has set its mind you won't be able to stop it with "goodwill". You are going to waste precious time, Fang." Fahrenheit's body caught fire again and she slowly drifted a few feet above the ground. She was obviously containing her anger and frustration putting as much willpower as she had to continue the conversation peacefully.

"You are right, Fang. They outnumber us vastly. That's why we need to breed. I suggest you find a good Novus mate soon and breed for the future of our Race. Our Children will be the heralds of a new dawn and then humanity will not only fear us, they will hate us. Go ask Peter about our future. He has seen it, he knows I am right. The path you chose forges the shakles of our slavery. I ask you again, join me and I promise you a circle of like minded Novus who can keep up with your abilities. Don't limit yourself to your baseline peers, they will never challenge you to tap your full potential. They will ask you to exercise restrain, to keep you in control within their boundaries. Mark my words Fang, you know I'm speaking the truth." Fahrenheit looked down at the small chinese woman like an fiery angel of wrath waiting for an answer.

"Peter has already changed the future through his visions," Fang pointed out. "To point to his drawings and say that they represent the exact outcome of the future is a fallacy. They are warnings, portents - very helpful ones, at that - and nothing more. The 'dragon' did not burn London - his warning stopped that."

Fang sighed. "I know how much you want to say, 'This way, and no other.' It appeals to your sense of right and wrong, black and white. But the world does not work that way! It is a gray place of uncertainty and guesses. If you persist in your plan, you will make things harder, far harder than having to reclaim them later, as you have already stated. You will give them the reason to tag us, herd us and turn us into their tools. All we have to do is show them that they can't trust us, and it will be over. Those few of us they do trust will receive the tools and training to imprison us, and it will be as bad as you say, or worse."

Fang's eyes narrowed slightly. "Or is that what you want, perhaps even subconsciously? Do you want to prevent the subtle war and go for the overt one? Is that what you really want, Fahrenheit? Because you are not listening to what I say; you are putting your own words on it. I don't advocate subjecting myself to baselines. But I will have a say in what they decide to do for themselves, and I will make sure that is fair and helpful to us. You won't accomplish anything with openly touting your ideas save fear and paranoia. You would lose the ones that would help us, and turn them against us."

Fang's chin lifted a little higher and her eyes, even behind the glasses, were clearly enraged. "My contribution to my people doesn't lie in my womb, Fahrenheit. It lies in my mind and my heart. And if you truly believe that the best thing women novus can offer our people is another generation, then I expect to see your own belly rounded with child next time we talk."

Finally some pationate outburst! Now I got you. Give in to your passion, Fang.

Fahrenheit smirked at Fang and slowly drifted closer, her eyes glowing with highest intensity yet. "Very good, Fang. Now were getting somewhere. I respect your position. I even admire the virtuos effort of your goals. I'd gladly help you with your endeavour but then we would condemn us to become slaves of baseline society. You may label it like you want - it will be a compromise in the best case but it won't be a good bargain for our People."

Fahrenheit took a deep breath and exhaled steamy clouds, "Peter hasn't changed a thing. Are you aware who the dragon was? Don't deny yourself his vision. If you follow that path it will lead directly to a world where the word 'Independence' will be punishable for those who even think it. That is not a future I will lead the One Race to. All I want is the independence of our People - even if I have to fight for it. Go meddle in the different shades of grey that human society is about, you'll learn the truth your way. I have said my peace and my offer stands. I will keep a place in our midst free for you Fang because I believe in you. Take your time - I don't want to take away your hopes to build a future in your image but don't blame me if I prove to have been right in the end."

Fahrenheit drifted slowly away from Fang preparing herself to leave. Everything had been said and now was the time to consider what has been exchanged. No change without passion. At least you are passionate, Fang. Maybe one day you'll truly understand my reasons. What we see now is just a dim reflection in a mirror - then we shall see face to face.

"And the same to you," Fang said, pulling back the anger and frustration this woman had ignited in her. But passionate responses rarely made things better; only through logic and careful thought could matters be improved. And Fahrenheit would see, in time. Fang just hoped it wouldn't be too late by then. "Call me directly if you need me." She told the woman her direct number and received a promise to do so. Then she was gone, and Fang was alone in the snow.

"Damnit," she muttered in Chinese. That had not gone the way she'd hoped it would. And to learn Fahrenheit's plans filled her with dread. But a new idea was forming, and as much as Fang tried to deny it, it was there. She knew of a nation full of novi, novi who were being subjugated and mistreated. Did the humans of that country really deserve their land?

Fang shook it off. That way was disaster. She couldn't let her personal feelings cloud her judgement. Picking up her lantern, she took a deep breath and thought about her room, her safe bed. Once there, she stripped and fell into bed, falling asleep quickly.

But her dreams were full of a nation of novus, and it was shaped like the current nation of China.

Archived