World of Darkness: Attrition - At the Corner of Waring and Terror [Complete]

William Rose

Antoine took the vial from Amber and looked at it. No label or sign of a peeled off label meant it probably wasn't eye medicine. The liquid inside did match what was reported in the news. "Could be. It might be a big coincidence but I dunno." He drops the vial in his pocket, Maybe Adrian has more info on this stuff ... "Shit ... if this is crimson and it does that ... bad news. I'm gonna check the can, you take a look in the kitchen, we should be quick in case any of the neighbors get nosy."

Antoine moved into the bathroom and took a careful look around for anything weird, paying attention to any medication and even peeking into the trashcan. I'm playing at detective but I don't even know what to look for. Antoine shook his head and sighed, Night's still young maybe we'll find a ghost pirate and a swamp monster on the way home ...

Amber froze as Antoine moved to the bathroom; with a curse, she stepped into the bathroom and grabbed his hand. "Actually, no. Fire trucks are coming," she said. "We need to get out of here. We also need a story to cover, unless you wanna do this alone. In which case, I suggest that you tell them you didn't see anything in the alley until you saw flames. When you saw a couple of figures in hoodies, you went inside the building where it was safe."

She stopped talking at the door, listening closely. When she heard no one, she said, "Wipe down anything you've touched. Then we need to get."

"Dammit, fine. Only the vial, and that's coming with, but I'll get the door knobs just in case." Antoine backs out of the bathroom and gives a quick wipe of the doorknob with his t-shirt. They leave the apartment and he does the same to that door closing it with a click behind them. Once in the hall he looked Amber up and down, a smile on his face, "So, umm, I guess I'll be gentlemanly and let you return those at a later date." He indicated the far to big shorts and tee. "I should get down to the foyer, the fireman will be wondering why my car is out there with the hazards on. Your story should suffice to keep me out of too much trouble." He stepped close for a moment, seemed to change his mind then stepped away. Coward ... shut up, it's not like she's a normal girl, she's a werewolf... Pansy ... fine, fuck it!! "Umm, we should get together to ... you know, talk ... and, umm, stuff."

Amber nodded. "I work until Saturday night," she said, wanting to step forward herself but deciding not to push her quarry. Well, not push him right now. That would come later. The thought made her grin eagerly; she was not the best at waiting, but she had a hunter's patience. "But on Saturday, I'll meet you at the Liquid Haze at eight p.m." She loved Liquid Haze, though she hadn't been there in over a year.

She took a couple of steps away, then stopped, turning back, smiling sincerely. "Thanks, Antoine. For the clothes. For helping me with that thing. See you Saturday."

YES! ... Oh great now, you did it, you're going on a date with a werewolf. What next? Dinner with a zombie?"Umm, eight at Haze. 'Kay." Antoine backed up toward the stairs, watching Amber as he did so. Turn around moron, if she wanted to jump you she'd have done it by now ... yeah good point. Antoine gave a final wave and smile and then turned and bounded down the stairs.

A minute later he was in the foyer just as the fire engines and police screeched to a halt outside the building. The firemen immediately set to work hosing down the fire in the alley as the police started to take a look at Antoine's car. Here goes nothing... Antoine rushed outside, "Thank go you're here! Officer! Officer, I was sitting here in my car when I hear fighting going on in the alley. I got out to see what I could see and that's when these two punks in hoodies knocked me down and ran off. I saw the fire after I got up and went inside cause it seemed safer."

The officer took out a pad and began to take notes. He asked Antoine to slow down and start at the beginning. Antoine started with the truth, his car overheating and calling the tow truck. For the next forty minutes Antoine and the Cop maintained a questions and answers relationship as Antoine told and re-told the story a half dozen times for the officer taking his statement.

As the fire was put out and the scene investigated Antoine was able to overhear bits and pieces of the conversations among the police and firemen. He gathered enough to know that the body had burned up pretty well but that they did identify it as a person; probably a gang member or a hobo, they surmised.

The tow truck finally arrived almost two hours after Antoine had called it. The police were done with him and so he was finally able to get the car taken to a garage and get himself home. It was either very late or very early when Antoine got back to his dorm. The sun was just starting to rise and Antoine could do little more than simply passed out on top of his bed. The last thing through his mind was, I think maybe I need to get myself a weapon or three...

Archived