Aberrant: In the Beginning - Geeks of a Feather...

Renee Byrnes

OzGeekGirl on DeviantArt:

Artist Wanted:

How'd you guys like to earn a quick buck? I'm looking for a comic book style portrait done of myself to satisfy the raging bonfire that is currently my sense of vanity and the raging hordes known as my fanbase. It'll get worldwide exposure on my website and total credit, plus whatever fee you and I think is fair.

Rules:

1) Nothing involving anime, tentacles or adult situations.

2) My boobs are NOT the size of mountains so don't even try it. I'm slightly built with small curves here, people, so don't give me Babewatch bust and butt, mmm'kay?

3) Mind the cleavage. My mum wants to see this.

4) No robots or monsters. I hate them.

Thanks!

OzGeekGirl, Australia's prettiest novus

deviantART community forums Timestamp: 04/12/98 8:30 PM PST

Re: Artist Wanted

Posted by: AdamsApple

Hi OzGeekGirl. I'd be happy to help you out! My style is pretty diverse which you can see for yourself on my artpage here. I'll warn you ahead of time to not mind all the monsters as they are sort of my specialty, but I am by no means limited to them...Check out the Heroes and Villains folder to get a look at some of my Vallejo inspired fantasy stuff and Powers that Be to see the more western style comic book pieces.

If you like what you see, send me a PM and we can work out the details.

Oh and Welcome to the boards! grin

AA.

Adam couldn't help but feel excitement when his email popped up: "Welcome!" "You've got mail!"

He opened his inbox: New Private Message on deviantART.

After logging in to his account and reading her message, Adam quickly pulled his new Bondi-blue iMac's keyboard close in and began writing his response.

Originally Posted By: ManhattanPhD@AOL.com
Hey there!

Thanks for the high praise! I'm not working yet because I am still in school. One day though! How would you like to do this? I'm here in southern California and lack the means to travel Down Under. Perhaps if you took a picture in the proper pose and then explained what you liked I could take a stab at it? Of course I can show you pencil sketches and whatnot along the way to make sure you will be totally satisfied with the final product. Um...how much were you offering?

Best,

Adam

Adam looked at the collection of pencils he had just finished. Various costume designs that were tasteful yet appealing and in a variety of poses and layouts. He scanned them one by one into his Mac and opened his email program.

Here are some initial layout sketches for you to look over. 3 and 5 are my personal favorites but it's up to you. You also haven't said much about your powers so I'm not sure what to do with the background elements yet and if you sport any kind of aura or anima.

Oh, and other great news! I'm going to be in London this weekend with the family so I thought it would be good to meet up in person. It's always good to have that immediate feedback and it will speed up the project. What do you think?

Fee sounds good. If I do a small print run they are going to be instant collectors items...I thought maybe we could auction them and split the profits. Let me know!

Best,

Adam

Satisfied with his work and his missive, Adam punched Send.

Renee laughed and typed in a quick reply.

Originally Posted By: ozgeekgirl@
Adam, 5 looks brilliant! I'm a telepath and superhuman genius; bit cliched, I know, but I like my powers. I'm in London working with Aeon at the moment to understand my abilities. I can get a few hours off on Saturday. I'll see you then?

Renee

Uh-oh! eek

Adam thought as he typed in his response. A telepath could wreck his cover! Hopefully his demeanor would be enough to keep her from prying...

Hmmm...a telepath eh? Supergenius you say? Unless you display an outward anima those don't translate well to action poses, which is what I have been drawing. Maybe a lab scene, surrounded by gadgets and automata? Also we need to give some thought to your costume. Guess that means you are getting two services in one yeah? wink

In any case, let's meet up in Thames Park, by the garden. I'll be wearing my favorite Wolverine T-Shirt and a green backback.

Adam

Saturday, 4/18/08, 2:00 PM GMT

Adam stood somewhat nervously near the entrance into London's newest park, his back turned to the water as he sketched the fanciful horticultural shapes of the "Green Dock." In his backpack were his sketchpad, utensils and about 3 dozen concept skectches to share with Renee. After pacing for a bit, he sat down on a bench, keeping his eyes out for the beautiful and famous Nova.

The murmuring of a crowd preceded Renee Byrnes' actual arrival as people pointed and stared at the young Australian woman. When she finally appeared, rounding around the shaped bushes, the graceful movements of her body and the intensity of her sky-blue eyes were the first things noticeable about her. She wore a pair of denim jeans and a tight-fitting, long-sleeved grey top, sunglasses pushing her shoulder-length blonde hair out of her very pretty face.

Renee walked over to the young artist and offered a hand with a broad smile. "G'day, mate," she greeted in a broad Australian accent. "You'd be Adam?"

Wow! Adam thought as the beautiful Novus approached him. She was easily as gorgeous as his girlfriend back home, a thought that was not lost on his newly teenaged mind.

In fact, as Adam turned to greet her, Renee was surprised to see how young he actually was...apparently "still in school" meant a frosh in High School, not Art School...

"G'day yerself!" Adam replied, unable to keep himself from smiling. "Yep, that's me!" he added warmly, extending his hand to hers. He was equaly as handsome and charming as she was striking and appealing, with flaxen blond hair and sparkling blue eys matching her own in intelligence. Though he seemed to have no awareness of the fact, he was destined to be a heratthrob...in about two or three years.

"Great to meet my first novus..and as a client to boot!" he joked easily. "How is it with that whole W.H.O. business they have all of you running off to? It's been all over the news but they have been pretty light on the actual details...um, or does that mean it's classified?"

"Hardly classified," Renee answered, glad she'd dressed to meet a teenager instead of a young man. "It's basically a bunch of testing."

She tilted her head to the side, vivid eyes resting on Adam's face. "Dude, if you're this good this young, Marvel and the rest are gonna snap you up when you hit eighteen."

Adam blushed rather conspicuously at her compliment and tried in vain to hide it by looking down to his backpack and rummaging for his notepad.

"Eh, thanks, I mean, yeah I really hope so. That would be awesome! And with Image paving the way for creator rights, I could actually build a career. The idea as I see it now, would be to cut my teeth and get some cred working on the existing properties. Pay my dues first yanno? Then get into my own stuff. It would be so rad to work with Ennis or Moore or even to try my own hand at writing."

"So..." he segued the conversation away from himself..."did you have any thoughts about the ideas I put in the last email?"

Renee nodded. "I'm super-smart, but not science-smart - think Savant from Wildstorm," she explained cheerfully, trusting the kid would know who she was referring to. "The computer powers and telepathy seem to be some kind of information thing. How about a big library scene?"

"I think that's going in the right direction, but it needs to "pop" off the page. A Library isn't exactly the most exciting scene, though I'm sure you would make anything look good...uh...I mean..."

He blushes, having gotten a bit flustered.

"You're telling me all of your abilities are internal. What we need is an outward manifestation of that inner power. Hmmm...Can you speed read? Maybe several books at once? That's it! That gives me a great idea! Could you do that?"

He waits eagerly for her answer, obviously excited about a possible image that just popped into his mind.

"Perfect!"

He grabs a pencil from his case and starts sketching animatedly. Within 2 minutes he turns the page over to her so she can see his work. He has done a rough contour drawing, in storyboard style showing the pose and layout he had in mind.

She can see the figure representing her seated on a stool. In front of her but behind from the viewers perspective, is a bank of several computer screens, as if taken from the batcave itself. Beneath the screens are several tiers of books with auotmated page turning devices. Several books have pages that appear to have been captured mid turn...several pages at once. All around her are banks of servers and floor to ceiling shelves of books. The result is a setting that sems both posh old world and information age tech combined into a single sleek look.

She is twisting around toward the viewer, as if greeting someone who has just entered the room. The pose is sexy but tasteful,showing her lithe torso from behind, part of her shapely top from the side and a friendly welcoming smile on her face. Overall the effect is reminiscent of early classic pinup art, emphasizing line and beauty without showing much skin. The sketch itself is already incredibly detailed and clean, and would be worth a great deal to some collector. Renee is sure that the colored final piece would look even better.

She only has a few brief moments to look it over and reply before the two of them are startled by a loud scream of terror coming from further down the waterfront...

Archived