Aberrant: In the Beginning - HG Jones

Rorx

10th April 1998, 1500 GMT

Gwyn tried to shake the sweat out of his eyes, but only succeeded in getting a fresh stab of pain in his head and a shout from the drill sergeant.

I can't believe I volunteered for this! No, given the circumstances I do.

As he continued with the press ups in the rain amongst the other trainees on the All Arms Commando Course, Gwyn considered how he got here.

When I agreed to spend a year teaching Marines and Engineers the basics of Nuclear EOD I didn't think I'd end up training to be a Marine. Mind you, I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when they asked me to join the next Iraqi inspection team that they had something else up their sleeves. All this stuff with the Galeata and the Novus is only going to confuse things more out there.

With the end of the press ups Gwyn got wearily to his feet to await the next torture from the drill sergeant.

When they said to report to start training on Good Friday I didn't think they'd get into all this on the first day. I just wish I'd been able to shift this 3 day migraine. Good job Rhys was able to give me a lift down here, I don't think I'd have been fit to drive down here from AWE.

"You lot are the sorriest bunch of poofers I have ever had the misfortune to train!" The sergeant instructor barks, "Form up into a line, if you can, and we'll see just who knows their left from the right!"

As the group of former civilians forms a ragged line, the sergeant instructor shook his head.

"And you want to be Royal Marines? I will personally turn in my resignation if a single one of you makes it through training. It is an insult to Her Majesty that you would even think you have the stuff. Ok, alright, that's as good as it will get, I suppose. Ready! Harch! Hay-FOOT, Straw-FOOT.... Hay-FOOT, Straw-FOOT.... Your left, Boy! Hayfoot is your bleedin' left foot! Hay-FOOT, Straw-FOOT..."

Gwyn looked askance at the 25 year old PT instructing sergeant from the Royal Engineers next to him, Darren Scott he thought he had said his name was. Perhaps the DS had a couple at lunchtime and had what group he was with this afternoon. In contrast to the 'former civilians' just leaving the parade ground on the Marine basic training Gwyn was the only civilian on the All Arms Commando Course. The rest were from a variety of units either hopeing to transfer to the Marines or destined for one of the Marine support units. Most of this course seemed to be made up of Royal Engineers, like Sgt Scott to Gwyn's left, who were trying to get into the 59 support Squadron. Although not military himself Gwyn's civil service scientist grade had previously given him the courtesy rank of a Captain, but he wouldn't be surprised if that didn't apply in this training situation.

Another stab of pain, like a jack hammer in the forehead, reminded Gwyn of the futility of, and the penalties for, thought at the moment.

Lets just concentrate on not passing out from this migraine, and putting the correct foot forward. Someone else can risk correcting the Drill Sergeant.

"Platoon.... HALT!"

The DI shook his head in disgust. He walked up and down the line, inspecting every recruit. Finally he stopped in front of Gwyn.

"I take it back. I was wrong. This is a fine bunch of soldiers, and with a little help, I'm sure that you will all make outstanding Marines.... except... you." The Instructor looked down at Gwyn, a scowl on his face.

"What in God's name is a pusbag like you doing out here with soldiers? These men have put in their time, and served Her Majesty with distinction. And here you are, making this platoon look like ten pounds of shite in a five pound bag. What have you done to deserve a spot on the AACC? I've got my eye on you, Jones... and no matter who you're blowing in London, if you fuck up my training, you're done. Dis... MISSED!"

The platoon fell out, the other trainees eyeing Gwyn askance. Sgt Scott muttered low:

"Looks like you've made a mate, Jones."

The pain in Gwyn's head him reluctant to do more than mutter in reply.

"Looks like I've found a volunteer to spend 3 days in an NBC suit the next time I run a nuclear EOD exercise."

With an effort Gwyn ran through what they had done so far today to try to work out what might be next. They had assembled at 0830 and spent the morning going through paperwork, kit issue, and a very cursory medical, perhaps he should have mentioned his migraine to the MO then, but it felt too much like trying to wimp out. After lunch they had gathered on the parade ground for the extended PT session they had just finished. That makes it a toss up between the assault course, the firing range, or the pool. Not being able to remember what had been said this morning Gwyn just followed the others into the barracks to see what they got ready for.

Inside the soldiers had already started changing into their fatiques, and Gwyn had to rush to get changed, he was surprised to find that he ended up one of the first to head back out to the parade ground. As he took his place next to Scott he asked him, "So which is it, the assault course or the range?"

With a grin Scott replied, "You're in luck, it's both. Assault on the way out to the range and on the way back as well."

Gwyn could only groan and wait for his new "friend" to lead them out.

On the way to the range, the instructor takes the platoon to the Urban Assault course. As the trainees form a line, he informs them that the modern military utilizes two forms of assault. Field assault, and the Urban variety.

"We'll hit up the Field Assault course on the way back. Right now, I want to see what you will do in the urban setting. Count off by twos."

After the platoon has been split into two groups, the Attackers and the Defenders, he instructs the Defenders to take positions inside the mock buildings. Gwyn finds himself on the Attacking team. He is grouped with four other attackers, with Sgt. Scott as the squad leader. Scott calls on him to scout.

"It's easy, mate. Look, just toss the flash-bang into the window then jump in after it once it's gone off. Keep your guard up, and call out clear when it is. Easy."

Gwyn is a bit unsure. It doesn't sound that easy. Still, his adrenaline is pumped, and he's ready for some action.

Great a migraine like this and I get volunteered to be first in after the flash-bangs.

With a half-hearted grin to Scott Gwyn runs upto the nearest building and crouches next to the nearest window. Pulling the pin, he winces as he throws it into the room, and quickly covers his ears. Once it has gone off, he jump up and into the room, rolling to the right to clear the window for the next person and to prevent being silhouetted.

The noise of the flash-bang sends a fresh peircing spike through his forehead, and he wobbles as he gets to his feet in the room.

"Clear", he shouts over his shoulder as the smoke clears and he half staggers towards the doorway.

He's just got his back to the wall next to the door as the rest of his squad start coming through the window. With a nod to Scott he pulls the next pin and rolls it through the doorway, quickly covering his ears before the bang to try to lessen the effect on his migraine. Once again he is quickly through the doorway as soon as the charge goes off, with a brief cool feeling in his left shoulder and another spike of pain in his head as he goes through. Down the empty corridor, he stops beside the first open door calling "Corridor clear" to those behind him.

As he puts his back to the wall he feels himself falling backward, once again with a cool feeling and a spike of pain, but with an involuntary "Whoooaa!" he manages to twist around so that he ends up doing a forward roll across the room and standing back up, right next to the DI who had chosen this room to start his observation from!

Great time to mess up Gwyn. Could today get much worse? Well it will now.

For a split second, Gwyn can tell the DI is scornful of him, then something about the way he looks over Gwyn's shoulder makes him nervous. He spins, just as the Defender who was behind him pulls the trigger on his rifle.

The end of the barrel has a 'supressor' on it. These devices are supposed to make the harmless 'blank' round even more harmless. See, some people got shredded skin from the paper from the blank being rocketed from the barrel at such a high velocity. A couple of guys even died. So, the blank supressor has to be on the end of every rifle during training excercises like this. Unfortunately, freak accidents are still very much a part of life on earth.

There will be much debate over whether the supressor itself was defective, or whether it was just not fastened on correctly. Regardless, the force from the blank ejects the supressor itself out of the barrel of the rifle, and it thunks squarely into the center of Gwyn's forehead. Instant pain, on top of his already monstrous headache. A thick liquid sheets over his eyes, blinding him. Consciousness begins to fade.

"Jesus Christ! That rifle is loaded with live!"

"It's not, I swear to God, it's not"

"Then what the fuck- never mind, help me. MEDIC! I NEED A GODDAMN MEDIC HERE!"

They headache spreads until it fills every inch of Gwyn's body, and he feels almost as though he is outside himself, looking down on the scene. He senses/sees the Defender and the DI crouched over his prone body. Then Consciousness flees him entirely.

It returns slowly, like waking from a dream that feels real, until you realize that your wife isn't dead, but in fact is laying next to you in bed, and relief makes you weak. Like that. There is no pain. Even his head feels fine. He opens his eyes.

He is lying under something. Something metal. He looks around slowly. Whatever it is, it rests on three smallish wheels, and is about four inches from his face. He crawls out from under, and sees that it is a prop for some science fiction movie. It looks like an air car. Either that, or a one-man jet plane. It is parked in a row of them. To his right, a large building, built in the Ancient Greek style, stands. To his left, a sprawling countryside, complete with cows out to pasture.

He checks the building again. Engraved into the marble is a sign, of sorts. It says:

JUSTICE BLIND NO LONGER

Whatever that means.

"What the f."

This is NOT right. Ok, deep breath, count to ten. Ichi, ni, san, shi, go, roku, shish, ash, koo, ju. Lets take, stock. What do I remember. My name is Hywel Gwyn Jones, I'm 30 years old and single. I was on the Commando Course, just messed up in front of the DI, and expecting an ear-bashing. Then I turned around as he looked over my shoulder and...I got shot...in the head, but I feel fine now, not even the migraine that's been with me all week.

Quickly Gwyn did a physical check. Still in fatigues and boots, and have the belt pouch with 7 flash-bangs left, but not my SA-80 even if it did only have blanks. Dried blood on forehead and face, but only sign of the head shot feels like a 3 day old paint ball hit. Well it could/should be much worse.

As he took inventory he also tidied himself as much as possible and started towards the building.

I must be in a coma somewhere, but I'm a bit disappointed I seem to be using something like Heinlein or perhaps a game like Space Opera or Champions for this setting. Hmm, 'blind no longer', perhaps they have Telepaths who could verify my story.

Gwyn walked to the building, bemused by the science-fiction feel of his hallucination. He rubbed the last of the dried blood from his forehead as he started up the steps. As he passed the columns, he ran into a soft field of some kind, and bounced back into another one. He was held fast.

A voice spoke in his mind.

Hello, Gwyn. How interesting. When I sensed you approaching, my first thought was to ask you how you got out, but I see that you don't know what you are doing here any more than I do. You don't even know who I am, do you? Very interesting. Okay, I'm going to let you come up, and shield you from Alison and Sophia. I like weird stories.

Gwyn found himself free of the jellied force field.

Just tell the clerk that you are here for your one o'clock appointment with the Chief Justice. I'll take it from there.

Well that was a surprise thought Gwyn as the field formed around him. He briefly tested the strength of the field and found it held him quite firmly, but strangely he also felt a vast reserve of strength within himself waiting to be tapped.

Odd, but lets not aggravate the locals, hopefully I'll get a chance to test my strength in private later.

As the telepathic message arrived Gwyn felt the satisfaction of being correct in his interpretation, but otherwise tried to keep his thoughts blank. Instead he glanced around, and quickly spotted the emitters for the restraint field hidden in the pillars. To high and far away, you'd need a ranged weapon to take them out, and the field would prevent targeting by hand.

When the field goes down Gwyn continued into the building analysing information he had just been given as he walked.

Let's see, restraint fields, telepath judges, my feeling of being able to tap more strength, I think I may be more observant than normal and I'm certainly thinking faster and clearer, I've only taken two steps! Looks like I've used a Champions paradigm for this coma hallucination. Should prove interesting at least, I wonder what other powers I may have given myself here?

Ok, information. The Chief Justice is a telepath, and spoke of shielding me from two others, who I will assume are also Judges. From the way they spoke they seemed to have known me socially, they also expected me to know who the other judges were from their forenames, so presumably I knew them socially as well. Since I'm assuming that they are all telepaths, but I don't seem to be, otherwise I should have at least tried to resist the telepathy, the superpowered community must be relatively small. Also I've been locked up for some reason, but the Chief Justice obviously doesn't expect me to be violent, or beyond their capcity to deal with on their own.

By now Gwyn had stepped through the double doors into a large foyer. Glancing around he quickly took in the reception desk in the middle of the room. Doors flanked by security were labelled for the courts themselves, but taking in the large clock above the wide staircase at the back of the foyer Gwyn headed towards the toilets on the righthand side of the room.

12:45, that gives me about 5 to 10minutes to get cleaned up and report to reception. Ten minutes later Gwyn approachs the reception desk with a slightly bemused, wry, smile on his face. Well my looks haven't changed, except the increased muscle definition and mass. I could probably give that PT instructor, Sgt Scott, a run for his money now.

"Good afternoon, I'm here for my 1 o'clock appointment with the Chief Justice."

The receptionist, an obviously plain-clothes wearing security agent, consults his screen. His face gives away a certain amount of surprise.

"Yes sir. I will take you."

As another receptionist takes his place, he comes around the counter, and motions for Gwyn to follow him. They go to a sliding door near the large stairway. It opens as they approach. The receptionist sort of 'hops' into the small cubicle, and his body is launched up the tube.

Gwyn glanced around the reception desk as he waited for the man's response, taking in the flat screen, virtual keyboard and other high tech items. The receptionists shoulder holster, underdesk rifle mount, panic button didn't escape his notice. However. What caught his attention was the other receptionist/security guards monitor, not for the array of security camera footage, but for what appeared to be an online newspaper playing highlights of a rugby game.

Armed guards, so despite a telepathy based legal system they still have terrorists or violent criminals. The level of technology looks like something I might have based off a more recent game, Cybergeneration perhaps.

Hang on, that paper puts this as 2029, and it looks much to detailed to be a hallucination. I don't think I could have made that up, especially that rugby game, not without simply having it one I remembered. That would mean that this real? Is that possible? Well, there has been all that stuff about Novus in the news over the last couple of weeks, so it is certainly possible that I've become one, as the physical evidence suggests. Wow, my life just became a game of Champions!

Ok, if that's true, how did I get here? I don't think I can time travel, that should bring with it a good perception of time and I had to find a clock. So another Novus is responsible, and since I didn't notice one hanging around the urban course, they must have pulled me through from this time. My arrival under a vehicle means that I appeared in this time in the same physical location as I left, which means the targeting for the power must have been that the Novus who did this is familiar with my future self. I hope they come and tell me what this is all about soon.

The receptionist looks surprised, but not anxious or tense. That suggests my name isn't there and/or he doesn't recognise that the Chief Justice thought I was locked up or something. Whatever it is, he doesn't expect me to be any threat. What does that leave? It could be that the appointment has just appeared or was changed, but I don't think so. Which means it must be the location. An office or court wouldn't be a surprise so it must be their private quarters. Aahh, if the Chief Justice was a woman as well, that would explain it. Let's test that theory.

As Gwyn follows the guard across the foyer he asks him, "The Chief Justice, what's she like in person?"

He won't give me a meaningful answer but it should let me know if I'm right to think it's a woman.

So I'm a Novus, a genuine 'Child of the Atom' as the X-men would have it, or perhaps Galeata if the media are correct. The next question is what can I do, what powers have I got? Well, I've already seen and felt the changes in what Champions would probably call Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence. I'm also more observant than I was, and according to the media all the Novus are hardier than normal. Hey, I wonder if could survive in space now? Flight is pretty common in people playing Champions, I wonder what the stats are like for real Novus. That would make the parachute section of the Commando course a doddle if I could fly now.

Gwyn watched with interest as the receptionist led the way into the chute.

That's interesting, I wonder if it's gravity control or some other form of levitation? I didn't notice him select a floor so perhaps it only serves our destination. Oh well, here goes.

And with a fluid grace Gwyn faultlessly copies the receptionists more practised hop into the chute.

Gwyn hops into the chute, and is propelled upwards, past the second floor, and ejected out on the third floor. He lands lightly on his feet, as though landing from his hop. He carries it off pretty well, and the receptionist barely glances at him.

"Oh, you've never met her? She's very... irreverent. Not at all what you'd expect. Right through here."

He places a palm on a plate on the wall, and a section of the wall pulls back and slides sideways. He gestures for Gwyn to precede him.

The office is very large, with cherry and leather furniture. A small shelf of books in the corner points out the lack of immense legal tomes usually found in a judges chamber. The title facing Gwyn on the nearest book is 'Kingdom Come'. On the walls are framed and signed oils and pencils of costumed heroes fictional and otherwise. Obviously set as counterpoints, a Ross original, 'Man of Steel' faces a painting of a man that Gwyn recognized from the news of his time as Titan Omega. His exceptional attentiveness picks out the signature. P. Bell

A woman in her late middle years, yet still trim and attractive, glances up from her tablet.

"Madame Chief Justice, Imtobo D'mgabe of Ethiopia."

"Thank you Gene."

When the receptionist had withdrawn with an almost subservient bow of the head, she rose quickly and strode to the door. She whirled on Gwyn.

"Ok, Gwyn, I've confused Minister D'mgabe into thinking he is meeting his mother for tea, and the old woman is grateful for his attention. I've projected his image into the minds of our receptionists, and D'mgabe's background thoughts are all that anyone scanning this room telepathically will pick up. So, you're safe for now. I'm not going to root around in your head for answers, either. I find that I like the spoken word. I like having it bounce around in my ears, and the effort that goes into deciphering meaning from the sounds. So, tell me how it is that you are here. I just hope like hell that it is what I think it is."

"That would depend on what you think it is? As far as I can tell I have been brought forward to this time by either someone or something with time travel powers. I don't suppose you know of someone who fits that description?"

"In my personal timeline it is about 4pm GMT on the 10th of April 1998, and I was just in the process of becoming a Novus. I have no idea what powers or special abilities I may have developed, so given you seem to know my future self perhaps you could enlighten me?"

"Some background on the state of the world, and any thoughts as to why someone would bring me here would be nice as well."

Looks like Madame the Chief Justice is a comic geek in her spare time. Hmmm, P.Bell, wasn't one of the initial Novus an American artist called Peter Bell? Nice work from what I can see from here. So a comic geek telepath who was around at the beginning, and is that a slight Aussie accent? That makes this the college student from downunder, now what was her name...Renee, Renee Byrnes I think it was.

Given her precautions I would guess that she doesn't want anyone finding out I was here, not a good sign given her position.

"In fact any additional information, and a change of clothes would be great about now Renee, or would you prefer Madame Justice?"

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Rorx
"That would depend on what you think it is? As far as I can tell I have been brought forward to this time by either someone or something with time travel powers. I don't suppose you know of someone who fits that description?"

The Chief Justice's eyes widened. A surprised smile lit up her face. She placed a hand on his arm and motioned to a dark leather chair. As she sat behind her desk, she said joyfully,

"Yes, I think I do. Jennifer has decided to get off the pot. But, that can wait a bit. Tell me when you came from."

"In my personal timeline it is about 4pm GMT on the 10th of April 1998, and I was just in the process of becoming a Novus. I have no idea what powers or special abilities I may have developed, so given you seem to know my future self perhaps you could enlighten me?"

She chuckled, shaking her head in rue. She cocked an ironic eyebrow at Gwyn and said,

"I always swore that if I was in this EXACT situation, I would talk. It happened so many times in the comics I read growing up, and it never made sense to me. It seemed like they could have just saved so much misunderstanding if they had just talked!"

The smile died on her face, and she pinned him with her gaze. He suddenly had a peek into the kind of intelligence and will that had allowed this seemingly flippant woman attain such high office.

"Now, though, I understand why they won't. You'll get little from me, Gwyn, though I wish you well. Jennifer is the temporal expert, I'll leave any tampering with the continuum to her. What's next?"

"Some background on the state of the world, and any thoughts as to why someone would bring me here would be nice as well."

She leaned back in her chair, studied him over steepled fingers.

"I know exactly why Jennifer brought you here. If I'm not mistaken, she's probably brought others. The questions are: A. Will it work... and B. Should I help her?"

She leaned forward, placed her elbows on the desk. The canny, knowing gleam was gone from her eyes. She rested her chin in her hands.

"Did you ever read Authority? Never mind. Basically, we live in, literally, a Utopia. The world is policed from a roving satellite by a group of real badass superpowered people. There is no disease, no hunger, no war to speak of. We have created a perfect world."

She rubbed her eyes, and leaned back in her chair.

"Jennifer brought you here to destroy all of that. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to help her do it. Because this 'perfect world' is stagnant, and cannot succeed long term."

Looks like Madame the Chief Justice is a comic geek in her spare time. Hmmm, P.Bell, wasn't one of the initial Novus an American artist called Peter Bell? Nice work from what I can see from here. So a comic geek telepath who was around at the beginning, and is that a slight Aussie accent? That makes this the college student from downunder, now what was her name...Renee, Renee Byrnes I think it was.

Not, I assure you, in my spare time. I am a comic geek. And, yes, that is an original Bell that survived the purge. Anything else I can do for you, Gwyn?

Given her precautions I would guess that she doesn't want anyone finding out I was here, not a good sign given her position.

Not until I'm ready, no. And it is my position in jeapordy

She leaned over the desk, and smiled at him.

"Have no fear that I'll betray you. Jennifer should be along to fetch you soon, unless I miss my guess, and I'll protect you until she does. Now, is there anything else you need in the meantime?"

"In fact any additional information, and a change of clothes would be great about now Renee, or would you prefer Madame Justice?"

She stood, and Gwyn stood with her, reflexively.

"Renee is fine. Now, the clothes I can help you with. The information you need will have to come from Jennifer. This way."

She led him through a door to a suite of rooms. She showed him the dupe, and instructed him in its use.

"Whip up whatever you like, and I'll see if I can contact Jennifer. If it doesn't have what you want in its files, it will give you something similar. Have fun with it! I'll be in my study when you're ready."

She grinned at him, excited by his introduction to the duplicator. He could tell that she genuinely was enjoying her 'Woman from the Future' role.

"I take it from what youve said that it would be useless to ask who this 'Jennifer' was, or indeed what has happend to my future self? I assume that he disagreed with your 'satellite manning badasses' and has been put away somewhere, since your initial thoughts on encountering me were how I had gotten out."

"A Utopia? Virtually every one I've ever read of has been a dictatorship or oligarchy that provided some goood things but generally limited free will. From what you've said and your reference to the Authourity I guess it is the Novas who have lost the most freedom under your Utopia. Given your position we obviously aren't generally persecuted, so that means it's more a case of do what we tell you or else. I can see why this Jennifer might wish to change that."

Going through to use the Dupe, Gwyn will add, "Ok, so I get to hang around until this Jennifer shows up. Presumably the powers that be are scanning in some way so it would be a bad idea for me to try to testout what my new abilities might be?"

He'll ask the Dupe for a simple set of smart casual clothes (slacks, shirt, jacket etc) to fit better with his current surroundings, but also another set of fatigues in whatever material the ruling Novas use for their uniforms/costumes.

Going back into the study in his new casual clothes with the fatigues in a duplicated large briefcase type bag he'll put the bag by the chair he was seating in and look over the books on the shelf.

"Since I've missed about 30 years of comics, is there anything you would recommend I catch up on while I wait for this Jennifer to come collect me?"

• 5 months later...

The machine whirred, sounding suspiciously like a microwave oven of the 20th century. Judge Byrnes watched Jones with her eyebrows quirked upwards as if watching a kitten in the process of doing something mildly amusing.

"Every society limits free will," the Judge points out mildly. "That is, arguably, what the point of society is. A decision of a group of people to sacrifice some of their free will, in the interest of the communal good."

She sighed and leaned back in her chair.

"Of course, there's a delicate balance to all that, which when violated causes the society to fall towards one extreme or the other." She lifted her left hand, "Anarchy and dissolution of law." She lifted her right, "Oppression of the individual by the state."

"I don't know if Jennifer's plan will work...but I know what will happen if it doesn't. So I'll do what I can to help."

Renee smiled then and picked up a small, flat device from her desk. "As for the comics...take a look at this."

It was about the size and shape of a clipboard, and it soared through the air with all the accuracy of a Frisbee. Despite its speed, Gwyn found himself catching it one-handed with reflexive ease. It was white plastic, with a large screen that filled most of the front of it. All the controls were on the screen itself, which reacted to the pressure of his fingers. The interface was incredibly intuitive and without any questions or instructions Gwyn found himself scanning through its database of comics in just seconds of experimentation.

It was dizzying. He quickly saw in them a trend though. The gritty moral palette of the 1990's was gone. Plots were simple good vs bad. The good guys were always sleek and good looking. The bad guys were always deformed and sinister. Bad guys were always out to destabilize the government.

As he backed up through the archives, that trend weakened and finally bled into the more familiar comic tropes that he knew, in the early 2000's. He realized he could use these comics to practically track the gradual decay of freedom of press. It was kind of eerie.

He looked up at the Judge, who was still watching him. She nodded slowly at something in his expression. She'd seen it too. Was that why she was helping?

Gwyn didn't have time to ask. At that moment the room was painted bright, electric blue, and there was a sound from behind him, like a dozen engines all pinging as they cooled off at the same time.

Judge Byrnes stood up. "Jennifer," she said courteously.

Gwyn turned around to see a dazzlingly beautiful woman with red hair standing framed by what looked like a loop of crackling, pinging lightning bolts. Through that circle he could see not the rest of Renee's office, but somewhere else. Somewhere dark looking. Stone.

"Judge," the redhead said warily, eying her.

Renee nodded and made a shooing gesture at Gwyn. "Relax, I'm on your side. Take him. Take him before they smell your signature."

"We'll be in touch," Jennifer said. "We'll need you to get into..."

Renee nodded impatiently. "Yes, yes I know. This isn't the time to talk though! If they smell you here, it'll compromise me as well as possibly lead them to you. Go!"

Jennifer nodded and reached through the portal to offer Gwyn her hand.

"Hurry and come with me!" she urged.

(OOC - The adventures of HG Jones will continue in a new consolidated thread!)

Archived