Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 10: All roads lead to Rome

Mr Fox

Steve says,

"What we're going through here is Culture Shock. Very normal, very expected, and so forth."

"Also if we still use money then it's possible I still have assets Squirreled away. Not the main company but I did try to leave some spending money in some interest bearing accounts."

"It'd be interesting to see how it's done."

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
"I'm not leaving.", Joani stated briefly but very seriously.

"Not leaving now, or not leaving ever?" Ulric says with some surprise written on his face.

He steps to Joani's side and takes her hand.
"We made a promise to each and everyone of eachother to follow this quest through to completion. We can return once the Other's have been dealt with. Now, we need you. I need you. Let's just see what we can be provided with and proceed with what must be done to protect the Human Race from any further lethal interference."

Joani looked at Ulric her eyes speaking for themselves. "Oh love, I'd never leave you.", she took his hand and completed his careful motion to a full embrace. "But I need to see Kara and Gabriel. I feel like I should've never left them.", her eyes locked again with Ulric's and he could tell that she wanted to say more but kept it to herself.

Joannie seemed relieved that the tension had passed, "Absolutely not. I won't hear of it. You are here now, and I would like to have a meal with you all and introduce you to your other descendants." Listening to you all talk of your quest and protecting humanity Joannie seems to really relax fully for the first time since you arrived.

"I should tell you all that all your descendants are very excited to see you all. Michael let us all know that there was an 87% likelihood of you coming at this time. He didn't make the knowledge public though since there was still a 13% chance that you would not return at all and he didn't want the general populace to be too disappointed. From what he said if you all didn't arrive at this time he didn't believe you would ever return, that would mean this timeline was missed and that you had gone to one on the opposite branch. Once the announcement is made that you are here there will be billions of people who want to see you. I'm afraid that once people know, your families won't have much time with you."

"You may have descendants Meri." Omar said. "This universe's version of you could have had children."

Omar seemec to have visible relaxed with Cody's explanation. "I would like to look at how this world turned out, as well as visit my descendants."

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
"That doesn't go for me, does it?" Meri asks faintly. "I mean, I didn't...leave any descendants, so I should be fine, right? It's a fascinating world you have here. I'd hate to be bogged down and not able to see it."

Andrew nodded, "I've nothing here as well. I think I shall travel among the masses, in disguise of course, and see if this society has stayed true to our vision. I could welcome the company Meri if you are willing."

Joannie smiled at Meri, "I think you might be surprised. You have your share of fans as well. You may not have been part of what the Cabal did here on this timeline, but there is a certain amount of mystery surrounding you and mystery breeds speculation and interest. Lots of people asked the question, 'who is this unknown nova that appeared with the Cabal suddenly on their last day here?'"

Looking back to Joani, "I am sure that Gabriel and Kara will make it home for the dinner. Michael will be there as well."

Steve says,

"Word will get out that we're back, and with this planet's communications literally everyone will know all of our faces." Steve smiles and continues, "Just like the old days." wink

He says to Meri, "200 years of speculation? We were always pretty mysterious, by now they think you were with us from the start, secretly running things from behind the scenes." wink

Quote:
Looking back to Joani, "I am sure that Gabriel and Kara will make it home for the dinner. Michael will be there as well."
Steve says,

"Wouldn't miss it. Formal dress? And what passes for formal dress now days?"

Grinning Joannie said, "You speak as if the entire human race doesn't already know your faces. Remember there have been several holo-dramas and numerous historical treatments on your role in the history of the 20th Century." Looking to the entire group, "This gathering is only for family, please come dressed comfortably. There will be plenty of time for formal events if you decide to stay long."

(Those using enhanced means of detecting lies and intently analyzing what she says will notice a slight odd quality to her last sentence, hard to tell what is wrong with it though.)

Joannie thought about that for a second, "No, I don't think it applies to you. Most of you are not actually native to this timeline so you have the right to do what you, plus legally speaking you began your journey before the laws were put in place so in a strange sense you have been granfathered in. That is a bit of an ironic phrase in this case isn't it?" She chuckled then gives Omar an odd look as if she is considering something.

"The dinner isn't actually for another couple hours, but if you'd like we can go there now and begin meeting some of your descendants."

For an instance thinking about family made Ulric think once more about his own estrangement from his mother and her second husband. Water under the bridge really.

"Sure Honey. I want to see the family too, see what they've been up to and what strange circumstances their lives have turned on.

Joannie, we would be delighted to spend some time with your extended family ... and Omar's now that we are intertwined."

As the others talked of dinner and meeting relatives Andrew underwent a dramatic change. Slowly his form began to grow less distinct. His mass bled away and sublimated into pure energy as the fragment of consciousness was no longer able to hold the quantum within its pattern. Andrew became first translucent and then transparent as more and more of his flesh gave way to the energy that created it. With little more than a sigh Andrew faded from the bridge of Joannie's ship as though a specter that never was in the first place.

Back on Lorean Andrew opened his eyes and scowled. Despite everything he'd been unable to learn a method to keep his clones around longer. They all would evaporate into nothing in time. Frowning still Andrew got up and went to the bridge unsure if he should join the others or not. Michael has gone too far, by choice or by way of insanity I cannot say. I'm not even sure that we can trust him or this world, he may seek to prevent us from tampering with his empire.

On board Lorean Andrew was left sitting alone unsure of what to do but certain of his convictions...

As he sat his mind was brushed by a presence of immense power. Audibly he hears, "Andrew, come and join the others at dinner. We have much to talk about. You are perhaps not entirely wrong about me, but the nature of the universe being what it is, what is done cannot be undone. I have achieved my aims and whether you agree with my decisions or not I consider you all my friends. Accept this gift and attend the dinner."

The change was immediate and profound. All the confusion and lack of focus, the buzzing of dozens of thoughts all competing and the constant pull of quantum urging Andrew to shift into other forms... all gone. Looking at his arm he briefly extended one of his hidden tentacles to verify that he still had access to quantum abilities. It was like that moment when Meri had caught them all in the quantum nullifier field only there was no distress and no loss of ability. With the new clarity the first and most important question that arose in Andrew's mind was 'is this permanent'? Then as he took mental inventory he realized that there were things about genetics that were hazy that were now fully understood. There was not magic cure for taint in his mind, but some of the blanks had been filled in. With the opportunity to review the data in the Proteus database there would be a cure!

On the surface Joannie answered Steve's question, "No one else in the first two generations did, but the third was among those to receive the treatments. They were able to decide for themselves whether to become Psions or Novas, but the distinction between the two really is much smaller than it was in your day. I'm a nova for example and I only have moderate abilities and I chose to develop them. I don't accrue taint thanks to the treatments, but as a consequence I won't have abilities like yours for hundreds of years most likely. Also thanks to the same genetic manipulation the Psions are much more capable and have the same extended lifespans and immunity to disease and sickness that the Novas enjoy. Everyone from that third generation on is either a Psion or a Nova."

She smiled as if this was the most natural thing in the world and stroked Nikola's hair affectionately. "Children of course are still what you used to call baselines unless they are born of a Nova family already a Nova, like our little cuitie here." Nikola smiled but looked like she was growing impatient.

"Joannie can we go now? I'm getting hungry." She rubbed her tummy in emphasis.

Joannie smiled and looked at the group in question. Seeing that everyone was more or less in agreement she made a gesture with her hand and another gateway opened this one into a large room like a restaurant. Forty or Fifty tables took up a large portion of the room and people mingled both around the tables as well as on the dance floor. At one end of the big room stood a raised dais with a large table for the guests of honor. A few people looked up as the gateway opened but the vast majority of the crowd ignored it testifying to how common it must be. The faces of those who noticed the arrival ranged from excitement to slight surprise. Gabriel and beautiful dark haired woman sat at the end of the big raised table, but it was otherwise empty.

Seeing so many people together you are struck by just how healthy and attractive everyone is. Not that everyone is nova level in looks, but there aren't any really unattractive faces in this crowd of over 100 children and adults.

It takes nearly a minute for everyone in the crowd to realize you have arrived, but soon a hush falls over the room, then it gets even louder than before as people talk excitedly and greet you all. Joannie spends the better part of an hour introducing you to everyone before the precocious Nikola runs up and announces that it is time to eat and that you all need to take your seats!

Two chairs remain vacant as you take your places, Joannie explains that they are for Michael and Kara who will be arriving shortly. Gabriel looks older and far more mature than when you last saw him, but still in the prime of life even at the age of 332. He smiles and hugs everyone especially Joani and Ulric. About the time that you are done and sit down, a final gateway opens and Michael and Kara walk through hand in hand. Everyone here seems to know them on a personal level. Greetings are exchanged as they approach the dais. Kara looks older and more mature than her mother now and even regal as does Michael. Sitting at the head table raised on a dais you can't help but realize what a picture this must make. In a different time and place you would be the royal court dining.

With Kara there is a repeat performance of the greeting with Gabriel. Unlike Gabriel who was just more mature and an older version of himself than you remembered, Kara was somehow larger. Not physically but in personality and presence. She had the same habit as everyone else of sometimes gazing into the distance while she accessed information through her neural links. With Gabriel things had been very natural, with Kara things are a little awkward as her parents have to face the fact that she is no longer the Kara they once knew.

(OOC: Andrew, feel free to join the dinner scene, ps you Taint is somehow under control now, though it isn't gone.)

Ulric squeezes Joanie's hand and whispers into her ear,

"If you ever had doubts about how well we did as parents, look around."

It wasn't much to say to ease her fears, but he felt this was somehow a tribute to her and what she had sacrificed as a Mother and a Paragon. It was a safe world with happy, productive and vibrant descendents in it. It had not been in vain.

Meredith is all smiles and graciousness when people talk to her, and she pays attention to what people say and do, but beyond that there's a distance she keeps. Both a physical distance as she holds herself off a bit to one side, and a metaphoric distance as she just doesn't feel any real connection to this world. It's all very interesting in a coldly rational sort of way. A sort of flowering, she supposed, on the grand dreams of Project Utopia. She doubted that PU would have chosen a god-emperor of humankind as its default power scheme...but who knew? Maybe all humankind had ever needed was the right man for the job.

Maybe once upon a time she'd have been more outgoing...but she felt awkward and out of place around so many people to begin with. The fact that they were all strangers...and cybernetically augmented members of an alien society definitely counted as 'strangers,'.... Most of all though, the certain knowledge that not only did she not know anyone here, but they were in a world so removed from her, that she probably couldn't even hope to understand them.

So she watched, and waited, and listened.

Kyria watched her father as he and his wife simple were the presence in the room. She wanted to reach out to him and rejoin the link between that for her was still a fresh cut, but some part of her simply couldn't trust that this was her father. She knew that he was and wasn't, that time travel into the future always meant a maybe. Yet it wasn't that that held her back. It was Kara.

Beyond all reason or logic Kyria felt that her father had somehow betrayed her and her other genetic parent; that he had left them behind to become the Perfect Man in the eyes of the world he would be god to. Logically she knew that she had abandoned him, that his choice of partner was certainly none of her business, and that she probably should be curious about meeting her half-sibs. Instead she felt like the unwelcome step-child and kept herself at least mentally aloof.

Harsh words and accusations that were centuries old for Michael were still days fresh in her mind, and lingering guilt from choosing herself over him also kept her glued to Cody's side.

All the people's praise and attention put Omar in a good mood. He enjoyed meeting his relatives and correcting myths and stories (often with embellishments) about their past. His smile, incredible nova beauty, and imposing physique, made him especially popular among the younger crowd. He found himself playing with small packs of kids, as he let them use him as some sort of movable jungle gym. He didn't roughouse too much, as he knew that one mistake could break a limb or even kill. He felt like he did when his grandkids came to see him...young.

Eventually, he got around to meeting and talking with the others in attendance. His family had grown considerably, and displayed a variety of powers and abilities. Apparently, his family had intermarried into the Reikspar clan, as well as many others. In fact, his family moved beyond the room they were in, and were spread throughout the planet.

He greeted Michael when he arrived, offering him a handshake and a smile. He wondered what it must be like to be someone whome everyone knew and looked to for advice and inspiration. Even though he was a little envious of Micheal, he knew that there was probably a catch. Everything had a cost. He had learned that in economics class and as a world leader. There was never such thing as a free luch. As he surveyed the crowd of family members, he wondered what sort of price they had to pay for this seeming utopia.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
"Andrew, come and join the others at dinner. We have much to talk about. You are perhaps not entirely wrong about me, but the nature of the universe being what it is, what is done cannot be undone. I have achieved my aims and whether you agree with my decisions or not I consider you all my friends. Accept this gift and attend the dinner."

Despite the sudden clarity, the control that he'd been robbed of so long ago and so recently Andrew simply sighed and shook his head, "I'd kindly ask you not to do that again. If you do not wish to come see me in person then use Lorean's link, I'll not tolerate additional uninvited mind-to-mind contact." Andrew sat alone in his room for a moment. "Damn telepaths, stay out of my fucking head," he muttered to himself as he proceeded to his lab.

"OK, lets see what we can do." Andrew concentrated and within the subatomic interstitial spaces his quantum pattern bubbled and frothed. Like bacteria undergoing rapid mitosis his quantum self replicated rapidly and being fed energy they moved away and coalesced matter around them. Nearly instantly the lab was filled with a half dozen Andrews. "OK Boys, for the time being we've got the ability to not act like a gaggle of autistics, let's use this time to get some progress in." Andrew directed his clones to begin scouring the data recently acquired from the Proteus archive. As his selves got to work he was amazed at how clearly their thoughts melded in his mind and how clearly the knowledge filed itself away. He'd not forgotten a fact in a great many years but for the first time in what felt like a long time he was able to freely recall it all.

Turning Andrew headed to the bridge. "Morgan, I need a warp to wherever the others are, looks like I'm expected at this shindig." Andrew looked different, the change that Andrew had undergone showed and Morgan could pick up on the differences easily. Andrew was clearly more focused, the random distracted glances that had started to become paranoid looks lately were gone. Andrew's eyes held a clarity that matched the intellect behind them fully something that had been gone for some time. He looked like he had over seventy years ago, when Morgan knew him just prior to eruption, save one difference, his eyes also held a weariness that spoke of long years of suffering. "Morgan, I'd love to assume that everything will turn out OK, but I don't know that they will and I am worried that they won't. Michael is different, he's changed. I'm sure you heard the whole thing but there's something else. In my room a little while ago he invaded my mind uninvited. The Michael we left behind just a few days ago would never have done so without my permission. I can't tell you how much that one change has me worried."

With Kara there is a repeat performance of the greeting with Gabriel. Unlike Gabriel who was just more mature and an older version of himself than you remembered, Kara was somehow larger. Not physically but in personality and presence. She had the same habit as everyone else of sometimes gazing into the distance while she accessed information through her neural links. With Gabriel things had been very natural, with Kara things are a little awkward as her parents have to face the fact that she is no longer the Kara they once knew.

Originally Posted By: Ulric Reikspar

Ulric squeezes Joanie's hand and whispers into her ear,
"If you ever had doubts about how well we did as parents, look around."

It wasn't much to say to ease her fears, but he felt this was somehow a tribute to her and what she had sacrificed as a Mother and a Paragon. It was a safe world with happy, productive and vibrant descendents in it. It had not been in vain.

Joani squeezed Ulric’s hand in response and looked at him with both excitement and a faint hint of worry. She looked around as he told her to but the extend of his words and what this meeting meant only slowly reached her conscious self. Her overwhelming joy got subdued by the strange feeling of awkwardness that came from her first born Kara. With hesitation Joani approached her daughter suppressing the urge to hug her. She looked at Kara’s eyes and took her hands carefully making a first innocent contact. Her daughter had surpassed her in age and experience and their roles seemed to be reversed.

Joani’s eyes got watery as she remembered when Kara was just a little girl. It seemed not too long ago to her and Kara would always hold a special place in her heart. Unable to hold back Joani raised one hand to touch her daughters cheek, palming it carefully in her hand. “I’m so proud of you.”, she managed to say. She couldn’t add anything more to that and wished her daughter would just break the awkwardness by embracing her.

Aboard the ship the Andrews continued to work almost feverishly but with perfect clarity absorbing the data and combining it with years of accumulated experience and knowledge as well as the knowledge granted by Michael. Whatever the reason Michael had chosen not to cure taint himself.

On the bridge Morgan greeted the news grimly. "I received an invitation as well. I'll make us a gateway." He hesitated and looked curiously at his friend, "Lorean said that you have quite a few clones active in the lab. Are you ok, you seem quite lucid..." After a moment Morgan nodded to himself and opened the warp down to where the others were. The two men joined in the welcome and greetings and eventually Morgan found himself enjoying the gathering.

The personal reunions were a touchy matter but at least in the case of Joani and her daughter were worked out well. After a moment of awkwardness Kara broke into a smile and gave her mother a hug and a little of the girl you all remember shined through her mature and regal persona. Things stayed cool between Michael and Kyria throughout the mean, but Michael did lean in and whisper in her ear, "We can talk get reacquainted after this somewhat public meal." Meanwhile Gabriel regaled his end of the table with tales of facing the first incursion of the Alliance into human space.

Throughout the festivities, Cody does his best to keep himself removed, but to little avail. He had never been too comfortable in the limelight, having done most of the Cabal's work from the Shadows. However there was little to be done as he and Kyria were near legendary, having joined together with Michael in bringing the human species into one planetary consciouness. He is of course, unfailingly polite, and speaks mostly through Kyria's interpretation but she knows that underneath he is carefully controlling his every thought. She is wise enough to understand that her father has already been scanning each and every one of them, and that privacy here is quite an illusion, should Michael wish it so.

Ulric tears himself away from Gabriel's discussion and heads over to meet his daughter ... and Michael. He hugs Kara, telling her it's good to see her again. He can not help but know she has grown and evolved in the centuries he and Joanie have been gone. It is both a sad and proud moment, seeing that she has come so far.

He shakes Michael's hand, confidently thanking him for the strength and purpose this future has achieved. He knows they will have to take council with the Supreme Leader of this world if they are going to get the goods they need in the upcoming battle.

"I'm fine. Michael did something to me, it's like he suppressed my taint somehow. I may be pissed at the intrusion but I know an opportunity when I see it. Six times as much work and all while I'm trying to figure out what Michael's new angle is. I just hope whatever it is doesn't wear off while we're over there." Andrew watched as Morgan opened a warp, "Lorean, please try and keep a fix on us, I feel like we're walking into a trap."

Planet side Andrew did his best to be comfortable but he found himself dwelling on what Michael had done to him, both the invasion of privacy as well as the seemingly miraculous suppression of his taint. How are you doing this Michael? Why are you doing this?

Andrew didn't bother to try and whisper or pull Omar aside, what was the point, Michael was probably still in his head listening. "It's Michael, I don't trust him anymore. He's invaded my mind at least once that I'm aware of since we got here and he's done something to me, altered me somehow. This whole thing is just wrong, I don't know just what but something ... something is Rotten in Denmark, if you get my meaning."

With Amber by his side Steve immerses himself in all things social. He's friendly and says several times that his story is mostly known and they should tell him what they've been doing in the past few years or decades.

Mentally he builds relationship charts and tries to get a general feel for the timeline. So far his impression is, for these people at least, life has been full and good. Unexpectedly he finds himself having missed living through it. He has mixed feelings about this world link, but it's clear to him that they could have done worse.

*I wonder if they'd let us stay?*

Frowning, Omar shook his head slightly. Was Andrew really feeling 'normal' and if so, were his fears justified? Omar did not doubt that Andrew felt somethng was oddly wrong about the whole situation and what Michael had done. Omar had felt it too.

As he surveyed the people around him, he saw how happy everyone seemed. Was this some sort of illusion; constructed by Michael to hide a horrifying truth? Or was this just a society which was so alien that they felt threatenend and out of place. To be on the safe side, Omar tried to focus his mind so that if there was some sort of mental assault or invasion, he could repel it.

"I will stay on guard. Just in case." he bent in and whispered to Andrew. "I have had an odd feeling too, but I have also learned that it is important to be polite as well and not do anything outwardly offensive or mistrusting."

Andrew almost laughed, "He can read my mind if he chooses, he's already done so at least once. I don't think my being polite is going to matter one iota." He heaved a sigh, "Still, I suppose you have a point no need to let the rest of these people know of my disdain." He shook his head and clapped Omar on the shoulder, "It has been so long since I could truly think straight Omar, perhaps I am merely jumping at still more ghosts."

"It's all right. I understand." Omar returned the gesture; mkaing sure that he didn't slap him too hard. "Now that your all here, you might as well have some fun."

An evil looking grin passes across Omar's face. "And I'm sure that there are more than a few women here who would love to show you a good time too."

Omar, keeping his arm behind Andrew's back, directs the two of them towards a group of beautiful young women. "Come on, I'll introduce you."

The personal reunions were a touchy matter but at least in the case of Joani and her daughter were worked out well. After a moment of awkwardness Kara broke into a smile and gave her mother a hug and a little of the girl you all remember shined through her mature and regal persona. Things stayed cool between Michael and Kyria throughout the mean, but Michael did lean in and whisper in her ear, "We can talk get reacquainted after this somewhat public meal." Meanwhile Gabriel regaled his end of the table with tales of facing the first incursion of the Alliance into human space.

Joani could barely hold her anxiety. She was overwhelmed by the reunion even though they haven’t been gone for long from her point of view she felt how much had happened in the meantime for her children. Watching Gabriel tell his tale about the first contact with the Alliance and Kara being the perfect host next to her husband Michael.

Michael…, it felt a bit strange to her watching him and Kara. They seemed to be happy and everything the cabal had worked for appeared to come to fruition. Joani’s thoughts started to drift away into the past and the distance. She asked herself if she should’ve stayed back, if it was a mistake to leave Earth? What was the point in preventing a war if each jump they made created yet another parallel universe with a different outcome? It made their efforts appear futile to her. But those were thoughts she shouldn’t have. She had decided to remain with the cabal and most important with Ulric.

Joani’s eyes wandered to Ulric and she saw him following the conversation around them with his keen intellect and bright eyes. Ulric had always been there for her. He gave her security when she needed comfort and living without him was not even imaginable to her.

Patiently Joani waited for the “public” part to be over. She needed to talk with her children and Michael in private. There was so much catching up to do.

The phrase When In Rome has never been so... uncomfortable or accurate. The dinner went well, despite the misgivings of some of the team members nothing untoward happened. In fact with the possible exception of Andrew a good time was had by all. The people at this gathering were all family of a sort even if only by marriage or descent in most cases. The atmosphere was that of a family reunion, but like everything here there was something just a little off about it. After some time someone mentioned to Ulric that he looked very mature, and then it became obvious that he was the oldest looking person in the room despite being 200 years younger biologically than his own daughter. That led to a discussion of the health and aging treatments and how no one ages beyond their prime unless they specifically chose to go unaugmented or untreated. Then came the uncomfortable part...

After the meal was over and everyone was sitting around talking and enjoying the company, what appeared to be a young adult perhaps 18 to 20 weaved through the tables and approached the dais boldly. Looking to Meri he said, "Would you care to join us for an after dinner orgasm? There are several of us who would be honored if you would join us..." The young man cut off seeing the frown from Kara at the head of the table, but looked a bit confused by it. "I'm sorry Grand, was it wrong to offer?" From the center of the table Michael looked amused, but Kara said, "They come from a different time Jon. When I was young, such things were private and there was a great deal of taboo around how it was done. I think you may have shocked our visitors with your question, besides they are not augmented, they don't have the ability to join your group without being physical, and this is a family gathering after all." Jon blushed then said with some disappointment, "I'm sorry, I didn't think about you not having aug. I withdraw my invitation, but if you do get aug, or would like to visit in a more private setting you would always be welcomed." With that he turned to go.

Michael just chuckled then looked at the group, "You see, despite what you think, I allow this society to grow and do not try to make it fit what I, with my 20th century mentality, might have chosen. Of course I have grown a great deal since then and no longer cling to the social mores of those times. I am proud of this society and you might be wise not to insult it openly whether it meets you approval or not." He looked at Andrew as he spoke this last statement. "But come, this is a good time for us to meet a bit more privately before the whole group of you end up being propositioned by your distant descendants and causing ill feeling by your reactions." He stood and gestured toward a door at the back of the room, "Shall we?"

Quote:
That led to a discussion of the health and aging treatments and how no one ages beyond their prime unless they specifically chose to go unaugmented or untreated.
Steve managed to not look guilty at this... he *still* doesn't look like he's aged a day since his eruption. He comments,

"Now that's interesting. So basically baring accidents you're immortal?"

Quote:
"Would you care to join us for an after dinner orgasm?"
shocked Steve looks at his wife who reddens.

He thinks, *I remember when the Beatles were considered corrupting. The more things change, the more they remain the same. Elders are shocked.*

*Wait, if they can do that at will, addiction must be a problem.*

Quote:
Michael just chuckled then looked at the group, "You see, despite what you think, I allow this society to grow and do not try to make it fit what I, with my 20th century mentality, might have chosen. Of course I have grown a great deal since then and no longer cling to the social mores of those times. I am proud of this society and you might be wise not to insult it openly whether it meets you approval or not." He looked at Andrew as he spoke this last statement. "But come, this is a good time for us to meet a bit more privately before the whole group of you end up being propositioned by your distant descendants and causing ill feeling by your reactions." He stood and gestured toward a door at the back of the room, "Shall we?"
Steve nods...

...and mentally reviews everything he's learned and tries to get a feel for whether Michael has gained any aberrations.

(Investigative Prodigy On if it isn't, Lie Detector will stay up).

Meredith, who has turned quite red by now, quickly stands up.

"I think that'd be best."

She gives her erstwhile suitor an apologetic look and says, "Sorry...it's not that it's not...it's a nice gesture. Oh hell."

Meri hurries to the door and slips through it before she embarrasses herself any more.

Michael smiles amused at Meri's retreating back. Looking to Steve, "I am quite free of taint, I assure you. You must realize though that 300 years have past, that is a great deal of change even though the culture may seem fairly similar on the surface. Just think of how a prim woman from the 1700s would have reacted to watching cable TV during your own time." Looking directly at Steve, "I am sorry my friend, but when you think something as loudly as that last thought it is hard for me not to notice. You are welcome to scan me though if you wish. I will even submit to Lorean's medical scans if you prefer." With that he leads the way toward the door to the private room he had mentioned before where Meri waited redfaced.

Once in the room Kara closed the door and walked over to her parents and put one arm around each ones waist. "It is so good to see you all again after all of this time. I'd truly begun to worry that we might be in one of the branches of the timeline that didn't see your return." She gave Joani and Ulric both a squeeze of affection.

Michael on the other hand took a seat in a comfortable chair that formed itself into what appeared to be soft leather when he sat down. He gestured to the empty chairs offering everyone a seat. "It goes without saying that I remember what you were travelling to the future for, and you do not need to fear, we will give you the best of our weapons technology for Lorean. There is no cost to it and no obligation."

Seeing Kara so at ease and confident in her self was reassuring for Ulric. His daughter had made her own way in the world.

Of all the people, Ulric may have been the least shocked by the idea of a group orgasm. In one way, his morality was founded in the start of the twentieth century - the eve of World War I. He still had a tinge of angst when considering unisex bathrooms and women doing 'Men's Work'. It made him grin though. It wasn't as source of confusion of him. He didn't mind being somewhat quaint. It was something he could use.

It was clear that near immortality plus thought sharing was not something everyone had considered. Nothing here was based in lasting forever - career, marriage, retirement, education, and so much more. Ullric's finely tuned mind was still racing along all the tracts this society offered. There was so much more to learn and figure out.

Besides, being the 'oldest' man in the room had its own charm.

"Michael, thank you for your offer. We will certainly take you up on it. And thank you for taking care of our future so well."

• 2 weeks later...

While Ulric was talking to Michael Joani took the chance to talk to Kara "in private", if that was even possible. Maybe if she spoke quietly to her people would notice that it was a private conversation and would stop eavesdropping.

Taking Kara's hands and looking at her eyes Joani asked her, "Are you alright, Kara? I mean, does he treat you well? I just want to know, even if it sounds silly to you that I even ask.", there was a faint hint of worry in her voice.

Archived