Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 10: All roads lead to Rome

Mr Fox

Throughout it all, Ulric has remained mostly silent and introspective. He is happy to meet his descendent, but seems to soaking up the information as it is being absorbed. His brilliant, quantum-fueled mind has put on the back burner his pride in his decendants and is focused on the mission and the 'ifs' and 'hows' of it being accomplished. Until a moment ago, he has been still running down the analysis of what it must be like to live in the Augment's world when the word War comes up.

"Joannie, would it be possible for us to meet Gabriel, and were did you find these Jovian ruins?"

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrew returns as the discussion of war starts. "War? Again? Sheesh, you kids get handed a damn near perfect society and a scant 200 years later there's already war again?" Andrew grabs a chair and surveys, Joannie for a moment. "Nevermind that, tell me about your shipboard AI. Why does it seem that she's got a serious lack of information about her own creation?"

Cody speaks to the other's through the link, as he is not patched through into Joanni's ship.

*Actually, this Alliance sounds similar to one of the alien races we had been monitoring in our adopted timeline. They were far awy then, but could have made it to Earthspace in the time that has passed.*

Joannie chuckles at Andrew, "I think you will all be happy to note that the war with the Alliance is the only major conflict of the last 300 years." She gets that slightly distant look on her face that some of you have noticed over the last couple hours then answers, "About the AI... there was a great deal of development towards true AI during the 21st century and it was achieved, but there were several instances of the early AI's developing along lines contrary to human interests resulting in the loss of life. Most notable was the New York Arcology incident of 2069 in which 83 people died before the AI could be purged. In the years that followed it was deemed that AI's should not be allowed to become sentient and various limited AI personalities were developed for different functions." The statement sounded a good deal like it was being recited from a book the rest is said in a normal conversational tone. "The ship's AI is limited in the knowledge it is allowed to access. Everyone is based on their function and position in society." That last is said with the same 'duh' kind of tone as someone giving information that any child knows, not in an insulting way just something that is an absolute given.

She looks puzzled for a moment, "Well, I don't really fly a starship. This," she gestures around her, "is my home. The AI does the flying, I just direct it. All of the members of our family are gifted with star ships as long as Advantech continues to produce them. Not that we are all that special for being your descendants. Anyone who has a need and is a suitable candidate can request a ship for use. That is the way our society works now. With the advent of nano-construction as long as the resources are available anything that is needed can be made."

Kyria spoke up from Cody's side, having allowed herself to fade into the background during the genealogy discussion. It was odd to her, disconnected in a very disconcerting way. "Joannie, what do you mean by 'everyone is based on their function and position in society'? How so?"

Over the link, *I agree with Cody and Steve. Something is just...I don't know, murky here. Near picture perfect, but I think we should watch for quicksand.*

Omar sends: Then I will also remain wary. But I must tell you that I think it is paranoia and bad etiquette.

Omar gave Joannie a smile and waited for her responses to the other questions. It would be interesting to see what kinds of powers manifested in his later generations.

Meri opens her mouth to give her answer, I think she meant every AI is based on its function and position. Then she hesitates, and closes it again. That was her assumption, based on what she'd heard from Joannie. It seemed a rational assumption, but maybe there was more to it.

Augs are people with cybernetics in their brains. Computers that help them with data processing and recall. What if those computers have AI? What if -people- start to be categorized like AI? It's a logical progression. Learning via artificial implantation would be much faster and surer than normal schooling, so in time it would replace it. Then the implants would develop over time to become specialized, just like any education tends to specialize...and you wind up with a person who has perfect command over a specific set of skills. Who can do one thing, or a set of related things, flawlessly...but nothing else. And a de facto caste system springs into being. And it all seems so reasonable.

Joannie looked puzzled again, but answered, "I think we have a little bit of a communication barrier. 300 years seems to have made changed more than just technology. Well, what I meant was that people are given access to knowledge based on their need to know it as well as their level of augmentation. I guess a bit of a tour is in order so that you can understand better. Do you all mind visiting Earth? I can introduce Omar, Joani and Ulric to one of their great-great-great-great grand children, and I think that will give you all a much better understanding of how society has evolved in your absence." Seeing the nods of agreement, some more eager than others of course she lead the way to a transporter room somewhat familiar to you and a bit reminiscent of the one aboard Lorean. As you enter the room she gestures around her and says, "This ship and in fact practically all human made vessels owe a little of their design and aesthetics to Lorean. Of course people didn't know back then that Lorean was sentient, that didn't come out until after the First revealed to humanity the full scope of the Cabal's activities years after you all left." Seeing the question in your eyes, "Oh, the First is Michael. That's just his title. He was the first to truly reach the state of full augmentation, of course he surpasses the other Augs as much as an Aug would me."

Joannie lead the group toward a circular ring set in the floor, she made a gesture with her hand and a shimmering field appeared inside the ring then it resolved into what you are familiar with as a warp gateway to what appears to be a sunny afternoon in a garden. Through the gate you can see a beautiful girl of about five years old sitting in the manicured grass looking at a flower in her hand. She had dark hair and dark eyes but fair skin and was wearing a kind of one piece jumpsuit. Before going through Joannie's own clothes shifted into something similar to what the girl was wearing but in black and silver. She lead the way through and the girl looked up from the flower and saw Joannie and beamed a happy smile and squealed as she rushed over and flung herself into Joannie's arms. "Aunt Joannie!!!!", she squealed delightedly.

Seeing the rest of you come tromping though the gate the girl's eyes got huge and her expression was astonished. She looked back to Joannie questioningly, "Is it really them?" Seeing the nod of affirmation the little girl disentangled herself from Joannie and assumed a very proper dignity and looked to the group, "Hello, I am Nikola Riekspar."

Joannie looked back at the little girl, "What were you doing when we arrived Nikola?

"I was using empirical observation to test a hypothesis for my science lesson about color and light." The words weren't simply rote repetition of something a teacher had said, you can tell that she understands them. Almost in the same breath she asks, "Can we go swimming in the South Pacific later? I haven't been allowed to go all week." She pouted for all the world like the five year old that she is."

"Yes sweetie, I'll take you tomorrow if your mother allows it." Looking back to the group Joannie says, "Children are given the most basic of augmentation. It expands their memory and capacity for learning. Her formal education will be complete by the time she hits puberty and she will be considered an adult at that time. After puberty if a person merits it they are allowed greater augmentation that expand their mental capacities beyond that which would have been possible for a normal person during your time. Partially augmented adults are call Stage 2s. Children are Stage 1s. If a person show merit and proves themselves worthy and has the desire to do so they can then go on to become full Augs. There is nothing that prevents anyone from doing so other than their own merit. Someone that isn't mentally stable for example would not be allowed full augmentation as that would give them full access to all knowledge of the human race and such a person could do untold amounts of damage with that kind of power. That's what they mean when they say everyone is given access according to their merit. It's not suitable for me to know the secrets of making atomic weapons, therefore I do not have that access. I have no need for such knowledge therefor I have no access to it. A nuclear engineer, or a Fleet munitions maker on the other hand would."

The patriarch walks over to his diminuative descendeant and takes her had. He smiles down at her as he listens to Joannies's words.

"Indeed," Ulric says with some passion. "What is done about spontaneity and the creative impulse?"

"I'm sure this society has taken into account all these things, but its a bit difficult to see from our perspective. In an effort to achieve true equality, has something been lost? Have you given up that ... essentially human ability to mess up, and to create greatness from the ruin? It is just that in our time, society didn't build great men and women, but instead found them in their midst when they were needed."

"Whether this augment process is human, or machine controlled ... is it too much control over human destiny?"

"Mind you, its worked and worked excellently for over two hundred years as far as we can tell. There seems to be health and prosperity for the species. I guess the real question is indeed, who makes the decisions for how far someone advances in this society, and can we talk with them?"

Joani kept most of her thoughts to herself. She wasn't sure if she wanted to go into opposition with the cabal again. Here were the fruits of their endeavours lain out in front of them and yet they felt like something was wrong.

Joani watched with watery eyes how niece and aunt interacted with eachother and she could only marvel at what has become of their society. She felt confident that these were the results of their influence on human society.

Ulric of course had analysed most of what he saw within seconds and started to ask questions again. At least he didn't obviously show that there was suspicion on everybodies minds except for maybe hers and Omars.

Sighing she waited for Joannie to answer the questions the others asked and hoped that everything would be solved reasonably and without causing further distrust.

Cody, dapper as always in his business atire perks up when he hears mention of the First.

*Michael. I know you are there. You must have been monitoring our arrival. How are you old friend? I hope you hold no ill will for Kyria's decision to leave. She needed to find her own Path.*

Cody feels the brush of an immensely powerful mind against his own. Despite the sudden sense of massive overwhelming power the touch was paradoxically gentle. *Cody welcome home. From your perspective this is just one of a nearly infinite series of branches off the timeline you left, but to me it is the Real timeline, the one that always should have been. With one exception it is the one that I planned for and worked to make happen. That one difference is that my daughter did not remain here with me. There is of course another me on a nearly identical timeline in which she is there by my side. In the early days I comforted myself with that.... I sense your sudden worry, but fear not my dear friend, all worked out better here than I could ever have hoped. Kara and I have been very happy together, our children are a pleasure to us that I could never have imagined. Try not to judge too harshly the society that has evolved in your absence. It may not be what you had envisioned but it is their choice. Perhaps we will see each other before you all leave again.* As quickly as it came it was gone. The feeling of sudden emptiness was reminiscent of the aftermath of the Crisis when Cody had gone back to being just one individual after helping to carry the spirit of the entire human race. Perhaps not as deep as that feeling had been, but disturbingly similar nonetheless.

Meanwhile Joannie was answering the questions of the others, "The Augs decide of course. They are the only ones advanced enough and with the perspective to make those decisions. Consider, a child does not know that they shouldn't tip over a pot of boiling water on themselves to see what is inside. It is up to the parent to watch out for the children and ensure they do not harm themselves. The child does not have the perspective or wisdom to know better, but the parent through their experience and wisdom does. So it is with the Sphere. I can access more information than I could ever process on my own, but I know that there are areas of the sphere that contain knowledge that I might abuse or misuse to my own harm and that of others." She looks to Ulric, "I or I should say we rarely ever have occasion to desire knowledge that we can't have. If I really wanted to have knowledge that I don't have I could train in a discipline would have access to that knowledge, but of course I would then have to be evaluated for suitability for that discipline and I might be denied on the basis that I was a bad candidate or I might be granted access. I don't see that as a lack of freedom. I see it as opportunity to learn and grow."

Moving on to answer another of Ulric's questions, "The decision on who is suitable is in Aug hands. No machines exist that are allowed to have sentience. The physical process though is handled with nanites. In the early days it was done with surgery and wires and such, but those were the crude beginning steps of a child compared to what exists now. The initial process is as simple as drinking a bottle of mothers milk and the nanites do their work. Don't misunderstand, this is not forced. Some people make the choice to live without augmentation, and chose to have it removed once they reach full maturity, but they are a rare minority." Addressing the last of Ulric's concerns, "As for creativity being stifled, nothing could be further from the truth, and if you don't believe me I challenge you to come to one of the many museums and view some of the masterpieces of the last three hundred years!"

Omar shuddered inside when Joannie mentioned that an elite group made decisions about who could seek betterment in their lives, and who could have access to information. This did not sound like something they sought to build. They wanted people to be free. To learn what they wanted. Here, now, people were being told what they were allowed to learn. Yet, inside, he wondered if he wasn't engaging in the tiniest bit of cognitive dissonance. They had, afterall, done something similar centuries before.

"Will the Augs give us access to any information we want?" Omar said as he stood in the garden-like area. "I hope we are free to conduct ourselves in any peacefull manner." Omar smiled and gave the little girl a small wav e of his hand.

Joannie considered for a moment, "I believe they will, but I guess that would depend on what information you tried to access and for what purpose. As for your freedom, you can do anything you want that doesn't harm others. That is the primary law."

Meri suddenly cracks a rueful smile and walks over to Joannie.

"I want to apologize. I've been standing here, asking questions that force you to defend your whole way of life as if I had any right to judge it. This isn't my world, and this isn't my time. It's only natural that after 300 years, I wouldn't understand what society has become. But if you're happy with it, and if you don't feel like you're being forced to be happy with it, then that's the important thing."

She nods. "I'm very sorry to have judged. From now on I'll limit myself to trying to see things without bias."

Joani sent a bit angrily to the others, *I hope you've heard enough because this is bordering on insult. What did you expect after 300 years? They've evolved from our tutelage and it is obvious that it may seem strange to us. I suppose only Michael is able to tell us what happened and most of all why. Everything else is not for us to judge - we decided to leave and let go.*

Joani walked to Nikola and smiled warmly at her while she knelt down to be more on eye level with her, "Hello Nikola, I'm Joani and I want you to know that I'm very proud of you. Actually,", she stood up again to face Joannie, "I'm proud of you, too. I feel that you've striven to accomplish the best for all of Earths people and even though I don't fully understand the extend of what happened over the last 300 years I'm confident that it will make me only marvel even more."

Cody sends back,

*I had a quick eye to eye with Michael just now and I can say with certainty that he is THE true power here. If the Augs control all knowledge and He is to the Augs what the Augs are to the average person...then he is the heart of their entire society...as close to an omniscient god as we have yet seen. The feeling I got from only a brief brush was akin to the Axis Mundi the three of experienced through our Gestalt. With the level of cybernetic integration these people have achieved it would be safe to say that he *IS* the human race now...the Overmind guiding all decisions, seeing through every eye, the Source. His power has increased to the point that he is quite alien even to our evolved perspective. Between the nanotech augmented networks, his ability to meld with other minds and his incomprehensible telepathic purview, He has tapped into...or perhaps created...a true NooSphere. The Ultimate SuperEgo of Humankind.*

Andrew follows along listening and brooding. He maintained a distracted air that he knew the others expected of him since his cloning came out to the group but he was not in fact all that distracted. Andrew had learned quickly enough that if the primary cellular mass entered into a state of meditative rest it could project the majority of its mental power back to the clones. Like a conductor managing an orchestra, Andrew could better coordinate his clones if he chose not to act directly.

And so Andrew rode his own skin and the two minds that were one listened and observed. The augs control who ascends and Michael controls the augs. They've given up true freedom and they've been convinced its a good thing. A classic aristocracy' Michael sits as king, lording over the augs who in turn lord over those beneath, and only those they see fit to consider worthy are promoted into their inner circle.

Andrew shakes his head and wishes he could somehow communicate to Steve and the others his concerns without the potential for an apparently god-like Michael to eavesdrop. In Steve's time line Michael was tainted and insane. My own research has proven that there are those who's genetics dispose them toward a natural accumulation of taint; the achieve greater power but at the cost of their self. I should have tested Michael, we should have made sure before giving him the chance to do this.

... but man's greatest ability is to learn from its mistakes, and if this is a mistake, perhaps we can learn from it. Andrew coughed, clearing his "throat" as a polite way of grabbing attention. "I have a question. Have you all forgotten to learn from past mistakes? You said that the augs make the decisions, liking it to a parent keeping a child from burning themselves on a hot kettle. But what of learning from their mistakes? What about letting the child burn itself so that it can learn itself to be wary of the hot kettle? I can only assume that Michael is able to listen and even now is watching us. Michael, how can humanity continue forward if you do not allow the mistakes? Allow the unfit to ascend to augmentation? Allow people to make their own decisions to their own detriment and in doing so to learn how best to govern themselves."

Originally Posted By: Courier
"Was Taint ever cured?"

Andrew's head snaps around like it was on a spring as Courier asks the rather pertinent question. What if they say yes? Can I handle watching my last sixty years of effort wash down the drain bye a rinse of temporal manipulation? Andrew listened intently, waiting for the answer.

For the first time Joannie looks offended, but then relaxes and looks closely at Andrew as if trying to decern something. "You are a clone of the original aren't you? Michael warned me that if you hadn't cured taint before returning that you might be volatile and even potentially offensive." She smiles to take the sting out of her words. "To answer Steve's question. No taint was not really cured. Instead the genome was altered to allow all to benefit from some of what was good about being nova, while at the same time avoiding the gene sequences that would lead to taint buildup. Most of the original novas are still alive and well, but they still bear the burden of their taint. We did learn to prevent it from spreading or advancing though. I'm sure that if you ever do cure taint they will be very happy."

"As for your questions Andrew, Michael can answer them better if he chooses, but from my point of view they are quite rude and judgmental. You should understand though that not all chose to become Augs, and with the Longevity treatments we have all the time in the world to make that choice. Like I said on board my ship, I am just in my early 50s and still considered quite young. I've got another half century before I'll really even start to put serious thought towards whether or not I will choose full augmentation. As one of your decendents I've seen and studied your Secret Histories, and imagine giving Hitler or Stalin full augmentation. Would that be worth allowing humanity to 'learn' from it's mistakes. You seem to have chosen otherwise when the power was in your hands. You prevented humanity from learning and growing as you put it. We have the ability now to prevent people like that from gaining power, it seems a bit hypocritical of you to judge us for making exactly the same choices you made. In fact you are celebrated for having made those very decisions and leading us to the peaceful society that we have. You are revered in fact."

Andrew frowns, "Volatile and potentially offensive? Wow, I think I need to have a word with Mikey about this. But that is beside the point. Did we tamper with the path of history? Yes, we did, and for good reason. At the time humanity was advancing its science faster than its wisdom. We had seen the future, seen the outcome, a world devastated by war, novas forced to flee lest they die. The potential extermination of our race as an end game to war.

"But you see we did what we needed to do. I'm not happy about some of what we did, but it served the race. We took the responsibility on ourselves to make sure that the world could get past that stage. That humanity could grow and mature into its power.

"And you know what? Then we stepped back and stepped away. When do your augs plan to do that? Do they ever plan to step back? To hand power off to the people again? What you have here is a ruling elite. You may not like to hear that but that is what it is. In more than seventy years there was not a day I did not regret my distance from humanity until today. There was not a day that I didn't wish my own issues with taint prevented me from becoming a father, until today."

Andrew looked up at the ceiling, "Can you hear me Michael? I bet you can! You've twisted what we worked for, you've grasped the reigns ever tighter until you held the control for yourself, you above the rest. You've become exactly what the rest of us were working so hard to stop!" He shook a fist in the air as if he expected that Michael could see him.

Andrew made sense, even if he tended towards emotionality in his present state. What they did was correct the mistakes humanity made in the past, not prevent humans from being human. This world, had become a tyranny because of the fear of human nature. Could it be that Michael was afraid of humanity?

"When a baby tries to stand, it will fall down. Eventually, through repeated efforts, it will learn to stand and eventually run. If that child is prevented from falling, will that child ever learn to walk? Will it learn that it is important to keep trying?" Omar wondered if the analogy would be understood. "Sometimes it is learning from one's mistakes, that helps us create and grow."

Kyria flinched at the argument spinning around her and spoke very softly into the pause after Andrew's accusations.

"Well, what did you expect from him, Andrew?" She looked around at all of them. "Any of you? I love my father, and I know he loves the world, but he is a leader, a ruler. You used that in him when you needed it. Did you expect it to disappear when you did?"

She turned back to Andrew. "You say that you want humanity to make its own choices and mistakes, but you're angry because you think that in following my father, in letting him and his Augments lead them, that they made the wrong decision. That they have, indeed, made a mistake. By your own argument you are the tyrant if you do not let them make this choice, this possible mistake, and learn from it."

She sighed and leaned into Cody, still speaking in her soft but insistent way, "We are truly strangers in a strange land now, three hundred years removed from the plans that we laid or that were laid for us. It makes me uneasy, makes me suspicious, and makes me scared enough to jump at all the shadows that might be there. We didn't come here to judge the future, though. We didn't even come to visit. We wanted weapons for Lorean, and then to abandon this world again for our own adventures and agendas. We would do well to remember that we are the guests of our descendants and family members and to afford them the courtesy of neither interrogation in their own homes nor the boorishness of assuming that we know their culture well enough to give it moral judgment."

She bowed to Joannie, "Please forgive us. We are arrogant and presumptuous and you have been a more than gracious hostess."

Joani stepped next to Kyria in silent approval of what she just said. Her bodylanguage showing clearly that she felt as offended as Joannie was. No longer able to keep her patience she added angrily, "Are you out of your minds? Is there only deception and deceit that you see, no matter what? Is this what it is going to be like? Constant distrust and accusations unless things are done our way?"

Ulric stands there chin in hand.

"I think this is a form of democracy, much as the Unity party was. People chose the Augments to rule because we taught the People to chose the best and brigthest. The best and brightest are the Augments."

He looks to Andrew,

"WE chose to make the people receptive to his form of government. Did Michael take advantage of it? Most likely, but that was no worse an action than me becoming the first planetary President."

"There is no coup here. It is the evolution of the principles we thought were important. A Tyrant requires tyranny and I don't see it here."

"Sure, this is not a pure democracy or even a democratic liberalism, but it is a government for the People and by the People."

Addressing the team,

"If you want to blame anyone about this society, blame us who laid the foundation."

"Fine! I can accept that we screwed up, can the rest of you?" Andrew looks to each in turn. "Did we teach the world to choose the best an brightest? Yes. Did we teach them to forgo their ability to elect? To judge those who SHOULD lead from those who COULD? Has Michael earned his position anew every time it was up for option or has there been no chance? Have the people been given a chance to feedback that this is NOT the direction that they want humanity to be lead towards?"

Joannie picked up Nikola and held her close as if to defend her against attack during the discussion. Nikola was curious however and watched wide eyed and listened intently not fully understanding what was going on but realizing that it was important. With the innocence of a child she says, "The government is called a Representative Direct Democracy, the League gave way to self government by the Augments on Jan 1 01 CE according to the Self Government Act which was approved by a Unanimous vote of the Parliment and ratified by the states through popular vote." As cute as it is, it is just a little creepy to hear such an adult statement come from a five year old child. She seems to understand it too.

Ulric moves to stand beside Joannie and Nikola.

"Andrew, the two most likely results of what we aimed for were a Representative Meritocracy and a Participitory Democracy. The people decided that everyone making all the decisions was not were they wanted to go."

"Now if you want to be part of the governmental process, you go through the augmentation process and graduate to the governing body, if I understand everything directly. Also, as I understand it, the vast majority of the population can do this if they desire. Most simply don't desire."

"As for Michael being at the top of the pile - well, someone has to be. I don't think he has supreme direct authority. It would make more sense if he was the senior member of a small executive council made up of the most successful of the Augments. That makes sense. Autocracy is inefficient and I see nothing to suggest the Augments are so foolish as to invest all authority in one man, no matter how intelligent or powerful."

Cody adds over the link, while pressing back slightly into Kyria's touch.

*Just because Michael has become a god-king doesn't mean that he is not benevolent. Let us view and judge this culture based on the capability and happiness of it's people. Look at this child for instance. She is no mere mindless drone or slave. She is curious, questioning and uncannily intelligent. I would also like to add that the human race seems just as unified if not more so than where we left it. At that time, Kyria, Micahel and I experienced what can only be called the Axis-Mundi, or what has been labeled the Noosphere. This is a realm of the collective unconcsious and will of the species.*

*In this sense, the human race is now cooperating toward one goal in the same way that the diverse cells of our bodies have evolved to become a single inderdependant super organism. The late 20th century saw phiolsopher Ken Wilber postulate Holoarchy...not a pure Hierarchy but a fractal like set of nested orders of interdependance, where each part was whole and yet part of a greater whole. It is inevitable that human evolution has led us to becoming this holographic super organism, as we became better and more efficient in organizing ourselves.*

*The Augs appear merely to be the Central Nervous System of the super entity known as the Human Race. So far the organism seems quite healthy and hale and on the way toward even greater levels of wonder and glory. We have finally taken our first steps out into the stars and the greater universe that awaits beyond the threshold.*

I shouldn't get emotionally involved but Andrew is really getting on my nerves. Joani looked at her friends and felt once again strangely detached. As if she didn't really belong there. As her eyes wandered over their faces she searched for something that seemed to have been lost to them - Compassion and Trust. This was their heritage and while she could understand that there was worry what happened over the last 300 years she couldn't understand the accusations brought forth.

Then Ulric spoke up and he truly said what she couldn't put into words. A deep sense of admiration and love spread over her and she wanted to kiss him right away but that wouldn't have been appropriate given the circumstances. At least it made her relax and cool down her temper.

Cody's warm all-surrounding voice finally quenched the last spark in her that would've led to an argument. Relieved that she wasn't alone with her opinion she nodded and smiled again.

"Listen to Ulric and Cody - they are both right about this.", then she faced Andrew. "I am speechless, Andrew. What has gone wrong with you? Your seclusion has led to silence between us.", she looked down at the floor with pity in her face. "Your mad research seemed to have atrophied any sense of compassion in you. And your refusal to help you is a sign of your grown overall distrust. I barely recognise you anymore.", she took a deep breath as she finished her sentence. This was surely not the right place to talk about this but now there was no turning back. There was sorrow in her eyes as she looked at Joannie while she braced herself for Andrews outburst which would surely follow.

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
..."Your mad research seemed to have atrophied any sense of compassion in you. And your refusal to help you is a sign of your grown overall distrust. I barely recognise you anymore."...
Steve said,

"Everyone has made valid points but it's early and we don't have a lot of information here. Let's wait and see whether this system works."

(Activate Sooth)

Andrew literally bristled until something washed over him. A bucket of cold water on his psyche or a wave of soothing energy, whatever it was it fought with the taint ridden primitive portions of Andrew's brain. On board the ship the real Andrew gasped as he realized that some external force had somehow slapped away some portion of his uncontrollable rage. The meditation did not break and he focused on keeping the Andrew hive mind calm and sane. The other Andrew merely responded with a shudder as violence filled his mind and was just as quickly washed away.

Meri sighs and rubs the bridge of her nose...an unconscious affectation that would have pushed glasses up her nose if she'd still needed to wear them.

"Look...maybe we should just go. It seems kind of crass to show up, make asses of ourselves, then ask for goodies and leave."

Archived