World of Darkness: Attrition - Official OOC Thread

Dave ST

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you're both kinda right.

I threw in the two sides because I knew the werewolves would think Swara-Ann was the 'wolf'. You're half right. Werewolves are maintained by two aspects, the flesh and the spirit. The flesh is Swara-Ann dangling on the rope, the spirit is the wolf, or more to the point Swara's 'wolf' or even her 'Rage'. Remember the greatest pain you can inflict upon a werewolf is to take their 'wolf' away. It's like stealing their soul.

In the dream realm everything is symbology. We need to read between the lines of things. The wolf is caged because the spirit is dominant entity. The wolf (Swara's Rage) knows this and wants nothing more than to shred the fucker from asshole to elbow.

With Swara's denial of her 'true self' it only serves to strengthen the bond between her and the spirit, making it almost impossible for the wolf to escape.

No Moss prolly could have figured this out if he'd ask me for a skill check, he is the spiritualist of the group, but ran off half cocked and ready for war, like all true Ithaeur. :P

While freeing the wolf could certainly turn the tide of the fight for you, it's not necessary for a victory. I don't want you guys killing yourselves thinking that the only way to win is free the wolf.

• 2 weeks later...

All-righty, I took a shot at a semi-wrapup, folks. I'm no Dave, but I tried to get the feel of the thing right.

Reactions from the characters are probably appropriate now; we're out of combat (thank the gods), and need to head this puppy home. Dave, Lucien's the man with the plan here, so looking forward to his part in the departure from dreamland (or whatever else he has up his wizardly sleeves).

The Swara-Ann sub plot has been resolved. Good work guys. On to rewards...

Amber - The mark of Glory is officially recognized by the Lunes and she had been awarded one dot of Glory. You do not need to pay for this, it is free. She may also take her selection of a single gift from either the Dominance, Full Moon or Strength. She need not pay XP for the renown, nor the gift.

Ariel - As with Amber, but a dot of Honor is awarded. She may select between Half Moon, Insight and Warding.

No-Moss - As with Ariel and Amber but a dot of Wisdom is awarded. He may select between Gibbous Moon, Inspiration, and Knowledge.

Sarah - The Lunes do not recognize Sarah's deeds. Since she is not one of the People she can not gain renown, nor benefit from it. However the mark of cunning has awakened her to the rush of how true werewolves hunt. This insight makes her blood race and has unleashed her vitae's natural power to move like the wind. Sarah has unlocked Celerity.

One slight problem with Jeremy calling Adrian in your fic, he disappeared from the site several months ago now presumably with RL issues which have so far prevented his return. As far as I know no-one here has any idea if/when he might return.

Jeremy has asked me to run the combat events in 'A Truly Long Night', if it comes to that.

When you, the writers, are ready for me to enter into the fiction let me know. I took a look and read up on it last night and so far it doesn't look like my introduction is needed yet.

Due to there being WoD:A players in all corners of the world the IC chats do not have to be timed or dated. The only real stipulation is that the date can not be beyond the current date.

This way those crazy Europeans can still have in on the fun. If we kept it strictly factual then reall Moss and Dec would have a hard time fighting in L.A. because their PCs would be in Europe.

Also, you do not need moderator permission to chat people, if your feeling frisky and a couple of you wanna head on over to the chat and have a text based keggger, feel free. Just designate one of you to log it and PM it to us so we can follow what went on. Nine times it will prolly just be fun chit-chat but you never know one of you might give us a plot idea (that's mostly what I look for in them smile )

That said, any Vamps who don't wanna chat just because the sun is out IRL then your missing out by choice, not circumstance.

Guys, when doing a skill roll please just don't just place 'Perception' or 'Stealth' or 'Brawl' or 'Drive'.

Although the flavor text might say what your action was, that's just flavor text and sometimes there can be something lost in the translation. To prevent mistakes or misinterpretations please note what action the roll is related to. For example:

"Stealth: Moving along the wall silently in the shadows."

"Perception: Listening for 'X'."

Going forward, without a specific action attached to the roll (which how it would be done were we all at a table) I'll assume whatever is appropriate for the skill, and if that's not what you had in mind, you'll be stuck with it.

Quote:

Degeneration Roll = Amber
Harmony 6 Sin - 'Slaying a human or wolf needlessly.'

WTF!
Do you mean to say that we can only fight/kill directly in self-defence while these bastards are free to snipe at us at will?

Personally I'd have thought that taking out people who were planning to kill you was hardly 'needless' for a predator.

Have to agree with Rorx on this one.

To the best of our IC knowledge these guys are Hunter stooges, even if one of them does have a rugrat in band camp (or whatever). We have no reason to believe that they wouldn't shoot one of us if the opportunity arose. If Amber later on realised that she killed someone who wasn't an enemy, in other words a needless killing, then sure, a Degeneration roll would be in order.

If we just killed a pair of innocents, then knowledge of that fact would need to be apparent before any degeneration could take place.

As it stands, because of Amber succeeding in that roll she feels appropriate guilt and remorse for her action as per the rules for Degen rolls. In other words, she somehow mystically realises that what she did was a sin against Harmony, feels bad about it, and resolves not to do it anymore. If she'd failed, she would have realised that what she did was wrong from the Harmony standpoint but would not have cared.

I've spoken to Amber about this already, and though she doesn't agree with it either, I'm not changing my decision.

The pack was warned by Sarah that dropping that man was not a good idea. They also wanted someone to send back and 'send a message'. Instead of picking the guy with a wife, family and possibly changing his world view by showing him how this line of work is not the healthiest, it was "Ignore the pack, we want to kill."

Now, the notes I have written up for the church state that the two guys outside are ignorant to what's going on inside. They're not 100% Hunters yet, they were being brought into the fold slowly and about all they could be trusted with was 'guard the door'. Lefty was gung-ho and ready to kill some monsters. Righty was just using the extra money to fund his kid's costume for the play.

I have written that the PCs should use stealth and take the guys down as silently as possible, killing Righty however is cause for a degeneration roll as his death is not necessary to complete the attack.

Perhaps in the future you'll do more recon and learn more about your enemy or listen to your 'pack mates' before you decide to get your teeth wet.

Also, I rarely call for degeneration rolls, because the Hunters can mostly do as they please and never be accountable for it, which is bull in my opinion. So when I do it's not 'just because' or I'm in the mood to 'pick on' someone. I usually have a damn good reason for it. Amber ignored the advice of a pack mate because she wanted to kill, and when this is done Sarah's going to roll for Humanity Degeneration because she let it happen.

Now I'm sorry you guys have to accept responsibility for poor decision making, but it happens from time to time.

The issue isn't about accepting responsibility. If Amber fucked up, she'll take her lumps. It's how it's done that's bothering me. She has no way of knowing this guy wasn't a hunter, unless you pull out the 'she just knows' excuse. That's bull and senseless, as well as just stupid. If you want her to find out, have us find paperwork inside that mentions who these guys were and what they weren't, and she would make her roll then.

Beyond that, these were armed humans outside of a hunter meeting. Even if they weren't hunters, why weren't they bothered that they were asked to come to the church armed and guard the outside? Didn't that seem the least bit illegal or something to them? Why didn't they say no and stay home where they belonged? The whole logic of the situation is flimsy at best. They were aiding hunters in their tasks; in the real world, that's called being an accomplice, and still makes you liable under law, even if you weren't fully aware of what was going on. I know that if my church asked me to stand guard outside a building I'd be asking a hell of a lot more questions, enough that they'd have to tell me about the monsters.

On a completely different note: I'll accept the hit for needlessly killing (regardless of my personal issues with how it was done), and still would even if she had failed the check. But I can't RP her feeling remorseful for what she did because all she did was kill a hunter, an enemy to her and her people. I can't do it because it makes no sense. I'll have her roll the guy for more information when the fight's done and find info that he wasn't a full hunter, and then she can feel bad. Seems like the best way to make everyone happy.

Archived