Aberrant: In the Beginning - Chapter 2- The Firmament of Heaven

Titan

Jay wander's back inside and quickly finds that Juno and the others have made their way to the cafeteria. He spots Wratih talking with someone he hasn't met. Wandering over to the two of them he waits for a break in there conversation before he butts in.

"Hey Wraith, didn't see you at the fight. Who's this your talking to?"

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"All right, Max. I'll do it. Something I wanted to ask you first, though..."

Nathan takes a deep breath. "You said that you trust me because you knew my grandfather. I didn't, however. I never even really knew my Dad. I'd like to know more about who Arthur Dayes was... if that's all right with you."

Michael enters the Cafeteria a minute after Jay. He had taken a moment to stow his new T2M shirt in his room. He made eye contact with Jay and gestured in a 'can I sit with you' motion. After getting his assent, he picks up a plate, piles it with food and moves towards the rapidly filling up table.

"Hey Jay, hello Car..." He stops, hesitating for a brief moment "Wraith. How's the day treating you?"

While he waits for a response he give a smile to the unknown occupant of the seating.

"I'm Michael by the way."

Renee looked to Juno with a crooked smile. "Ass-kicking powers or not, he's obviously got more combat experience than you. But that can be rectified, you know?"

The blue-eyed telepath tucked into her Irish stew. "Food's okay here, but my mum makes a kickass chicken satay. I should see how she and my best friend Roxy are doing - when we're done with Pax, wanna meet them?"

"I never said I had more experience," Juno points out a bit sullenly. "I just said I won. But yeah, it'll be rectified."

"Anyway, sure. Your mom's here too?" She took a plate and piled on fried chicken, mashed potatoes and an ear of corn on the cob.

On spying Jay, she waves at him across the room, smiling...then actually winces and has to put her arm down when her battered body complains.

Oblivious to the craven slander sluicing through Renee's mind, Juno gnaws her meal happily, with just a nod to acknowledge the other girl's reply. After some time to chew and swallow, she looks around to see where Pax is.

"So have you done the whole orientation thing yet? Got the brain scan, had the blood tests and stuff...that whole thing?" Juno asks.

Joe was about to answer Wraith's question when the 6'2" well built Jay stepped up. Joe took Jay's hand without standing and nodded at his greeting. In a very pleasant tone he replied first to Jay. "Thanks, I'll try and keep that in mind."

He then turned to Wraith, "No, I'm scheduled for tests tonight. I blacked out about 1:30 this morning, woke up about 2 or 3 in the hospital with Steven beside my bed telling me I was a novus. Said by to my friends, packed, and here I am. I'm actually hoping that they can tell me what earth-shattering powers I have before I accidentally raze a city block or something." He finished with a smile and a chuckle, obviously intending it to be a joke.

Whether or not it was well received, Michael entered quickly enough to either cut the tension or join in the laughter. When he introduces himself Joe extends his hand, again without getting up, and returns the introduction. "Hey Michael, I'm Joe, nice to meet you. I'm new here..."

He was curious, but he figured that he would wait, at least until the pleasantries were finished, to ask each one what they could do.

Originally Posted By: Renee Byrnes
Renee made a face. "I did some preliminary stuff when I came here, but apparently I got a crapton to go."

Juno laughs and looks back at Renee, grinning. "Oh HELL yes. For awhile, I thought I -lived- in a hospital. They did so many tests I started getting immune to them. But I don't think every novus gets the full treatment like that. My powers are all in my body so they went rooting around looking for 'em."

She taps her temple. "They'll probably want you to spend a lot of time getting brainscans though. And showing them how your powers work."

Michael dug into his irish stew with gusto. He was getting used to the portions his body required and had piled the food onto his plate. An extra large bowl of stew, four bread rolls, three cans of coke, one bottle of iced tea and two muffins for dessert.

After a few vigorous mouthfuls, he looks over a Joe and grins, pointing at his food with his spoon.

"As a novus, we need to eat more food. Something about our bodies requiring more fuel because of our altered physiology."

Wraith nodded to Joe when he explained his situation. She did not want to speak with her mouth full. After a few minutes she turns to Michael, "So what now? Do we just hang out until another disaster happens, or are we getting assigned to anything?" She asks. As she finishes, she wipes her face, then throws her napkin on her plate, and sits back in her chair waiting for a response.

Joe was about half way through his normal sized meal, and wasn't even a quarter of the way full. He smiled at Michael's comment, nodded and swallowed. He was just about to say something when Wraith started talking.

He waited for her to finish before he asked a few questions of his own. "Wraith, what did you mean by 'ancient gods'?" He then turned to Jay. "And, not to butt in, but I heard you mention something about a fight... I've seen some big novus fights on the news, I'm assuming you're not talking about anything that big, are you? Were any of you all in that big fight down in Egypt? If you were, was it some sort of assigned mission, of did you volunteer, or was it just kinda like whoever was in the area...?"

His questions were specifically about fights, but by the way he asked it, he was also asking about how AEon was run, and what life was like around here.

Originally Posted By: Renee Byrnes
"Heh. When I start babbling about what they did to lose their virginity, they may wish they'd never opened that can of worms," Renee answered dryly. "I can't exactly help trawling through random thoughts at the moment."

"Really?" Juno regards Renee at that, searching her mind for that weird 'scent' that wasn't a scent. On not finding it, she shrugs.

"Yeah. Seems like there's a big difference between being able to do something and being able to do it well. Today was the first time I really pushed myself." She pauses thoughtfully and adds, "I liked it."

"So just you, your mom and your friend, huh? No boyfriend?"

Michael adresses Wraith first.

"I for one don't think to highly of the way Aeon is running things. I dont really feel involved in the process. I mean, how much interaction have we had since that commencement announcement in front of the cameras? Colin, Jedi, has put forth the idea that we put together a different group. Something we can get in on the ground floor. Kind of a 'by novas, for novas' idea."

We waits then, so Jay and Wraith can respond to the young man's questions.

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer

He then turned to Jay. "And, not to butt in, but I heard you mention something about a fight... I've seen some big novus fights on the news, I'm assuming you're not talking about anything that big, are you? Were any of you all in that big fight down in Egypt? If you were, was it some sort of assigned mission, of did you volunteer, or was it just kinda like whoever was in the area...?"

"Oh you didn't see any of it I take it then? "Me and that girl over there," he points to Juno who he waves back to. "We just had our selfves a little brawl down in the gym, she's one tough cookie, I tell you. Kicked my butt and I do that kinda of thing for a living."

"We weren't directly involved in that business in Egypt, but we took care of the guy who set that up." He looks at Wraith for a moment not sure what her reaction would be. The ones who were here got tabbed to help, I kinda got dragged in by chance."

Wraith looks at Joe, "You mean, you don't recognize me? You did watch it on TV right? I mean, granted I was covered by a cloak and resembled a floating skeleton, I certainly gained some dark side points for that one." She says as she looks around laughing to see if the Jedi dude overhears her.

She sits upright in her chair, feeling a bit uncomfortable. "So much for making a new friend.." she says jokingly.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax

"Really?" Juno regards Renee at that, searching her mind for that weird 'scent' that wasn't a scent. On not finding it, she shrugs.

"Yeah. Seems like there's a big difference between being able to do something and being able to do it well. Today was the first time I really pushed myself." She pauses thoughtfully and adds, "I liked it."

"So just you, your mom and your friend, huh? No boyfriend?"

"Well, I'm getting plenty of indecent proposals from the geek crowd," Renee admitted with a soft, rueful laugh. "I've become the pin-up girl for legions of nerds and geeks and dorks on the Internet. So yeah, just me and Mum and my friend... You got anyone here?"

Pax finally arrived at the table where Renee and Juno waited for him. In his hands, he carried a impressive mountain of food. Walking with him was an hugely fat man, who still bore an passing resemblance to Pax.

"Hi, sorry I took so long," Pax said, "It takes time to pile this much food up. This is Jack." He took a seat, and began digging into his mountain. The fat man waved cheerfully, and sat. His plate held a scoop of cottage cheese, and a slice of toast. He ignored it, and gave his attention to the ladies.

"That's me. So, either Juno has developed a passion for comics in the last two days, or he was talking about you. Marvel or DC?"

Nathan:

Max sat in Margaret's chair, and closed his eyes. He remained that way for a long moment. When he opened them, he smiled at Nathan.

"Arthur was one of my closest friends. You probably know that he was with the F.B.I. for many years. We met after he had retired from the Bureau. He was older, of course, in his late fifties, but there was a connection of ideas between us... He believed in Justice, with a capital 'J'. He often talked about how he thought that arsonists should be burned at the stake, how theives should not only pay back what they stole, but should have the same amount taken from them, how rapists should..." He broke off and glanced at Maxine, who had moved near Nathan and was listening intently. Max grinned.

"Let's just say he had a fitting punishment for a variety of crimes. Let's see. He was passionate about Anne - his wife, yuour grandmother. He smoked a pipe, an affectation that I often chided him for. He was a staunch Democrat, though he vainly believed that he hid his affiliations well. He refused to bend in the slightest, even when it was easier to do so." Max looked up at the ceiling, remembering.

"Arthur liked poker, but was abominable at it. He regarded bluffing as cheating, and I could always read him. He disdained most of my friends, and hated my other closest friend with intensity. It was a testament to his character that he was always unfailingly polite to Michael. Michael, of course, was no fool, and so was very snide and sarcastic with Arthur. He was a great friend, an implacable enemy, a loving husband, and a very poor poker player."

Max smiled gently at Nathan.

"Perhaps I can track down his journals, and have them delivered to your office? They should still be around here somewhere..."

Jack winced.

"Ok, note to self, ask people their names." Incredibly, he pulled out a notepad, and actually jotted down a note.

"So... what kind of comics did you grow up with, what are we working with here?"

Renee set aside her empty bowl and attacked the plate of chips. Thank God novus could pig out, though the food supply could prove to be a problem to grow... "Okay, I grew up on some Marvel and the occasional DC, but my tastes run more to Wildstorm/Image and some Vertigo stuff. I have read Warren Ellis, Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Brandon Choi and Jim Lee. My main inspiration at the moment is old school Stormwatch, not The Authority crap - though WildC.A.T.s' run under Alan Moore is telling me what not to do as a super-genius."

As Jack and Renee spin off into their own little parallel universe, Juno picks at her food, then looks at Pax.

"Hey," she says amiably. "This team you're thinking of. Would it be us patrolling around and trying to find things to stop, or would it be more, waiting around for someone to call us and tell us about things that need stopping?"

Joe looked to Jay. "No, I didn't see any of it. I just hope that I can find someone willing to spar with me once I figure out what my powers are. Last thing I remember before blacking out is being in the process of being mugged... so I assume at least some of my powers are offensive."

Then he turned and listened to Wraith. His eyes got big as she revealed who she was. He replies in an excited, almost fanboyish voice. "That was you? That floating skeleton that I saw on the news, that was you? Sweet. I'm... I think I know better than to ask for a demonstration now, but do you think you could show me sometime?" He didn't really catch her shifting attitude and rolled on. "And, yeah, from what I've seen of people, with the smack down that you guys laid on, I'd say that you lost the chance of making a friend."

He honestly had no clue Wraith was talking about him. After a short pause, he looked around the table as he seriously asked, "Speaking of fights and spars, anybody know of a local dojo or sensei where I can keep in practice with my karate?"

"If you want to spar with someone I suppose that if I'm around maybe Michael here would be able to do that, you could've used the gym here, but it may be closed for a bit." he says to Joe laughing.

"I'm curious though, you don't know what your powers are? I figured out mine pretty quickly, after I got thru the headache that is."

Michael nods at Joe, smiling.

"Yeah, I could spar with you if you'd like, Joe. It'd be interesting for both of us, trying to figure out each others powers and all. And! There is a second gym. I found it a few days ago. Its more of a large workout space, not much equipment... I guess in hindsight that would've been a better place for you and Juno to throwdown, Jay."

"Well, I'm glad your a fan Joe." Wraith says laughing.

She stands and grabs her tray. "I'm gonna go roam the facility, see what I can get myself into, maybe I will find the batcave." She says.

After she cleans up she makes her way through the halls, glancing in the testing rooms to see what other new novus have arrived.

I wonder if there are people with the same exact powers..

Eventually, she finds her self back at the main lobby and she sits down in front of the tv.

Joe nodded to Jay. "All I remember is that I was being mugged, I was drowning in a drainage ditch, I pass out, and I wake up in a hospital bed, with Steven telling me that MRI's say I'm a novus and splitting headaches. I honestly have no idea what I'm supposed to be able to do, and wouldn't even know where to start to try and find out."

He then looks to Michael. "I'd love to test and try our powers out, even against each other. What style do you use?"

He watched as Wraith left, nodding, giving a slight wave and the customary "See ya' later." He then turned back to Michael and Jay, a bit of wonder in his voice. "So what was that spar like to knock the gym out of commission for a while? What is it that the two of you can do?"

Jack shakes his head vigorously.

"No, no, no. Good stuff, but The Authority is not worthless, and may in fact be one of the best springboards for our current situation. The Watchmen, right? Tell me you read the Watchmen..."

Pax swallowed the frightenly large chunk of roasted chicken in a dangerously short period of time.

"Well, Juno, so far we are looking at a combination of both. With modern surveillance technology, and Aeon's network of contacts, we can pretty much become aware of any problems as they are happening. With M'buto's teleportation ability, we can be there instantly. That means that we have to be ready at all times. The strategy team has been thinking a sort of rotating watch, so that part of the team is at any trouble spots immediately, and the second wave could be there as quickly as ten, maybe fifteen minutes later."

He forked a large bite of salad into his mouth, chewed twice, and swallowed.

"Of course, later, if the group gets larger, I would like to see a split, with maybe half the Novus in the eastern hemisphere and the other half in the west. That's down the line, of course."

"Hmm that sounds rather unique. Most of us here displayed some type of power. I guess these things aren't all the same."

"Man that spar was something else. I got super-strength, and when I hit someone, they usually get hurt, bad. Juno though, she's one tough cookie. She covered herself in some kind of armored skin, kept her from getting hurt."

He looks her way again and shakes his head before turning back to Joe. "We just knocked each other around, I threw a solo flex machine at her while she was throwing weights at me from the lights. Good for her that she dodged it, bad for the lights though."

"Of course I've read the Watchmen," Renee answered in a slightly scornful tone, as if to chide Jack for daring to suggest she hadn't. "I've read the Authority, I'm just pissed at them killing off StormWatch. I mean, Winter is ten times the ass-kicker that Midnighter is, and Fuji - well, heh, how many gaseous posthuman entities have orgasms every five minutes?"

It was pretty apparent she was in full geek mode. "At least Ellis' run on StormWatch also tells us what not to do involving the UN..."

A white-clad butler approached the table where Jay and Michael sat discussing fights with Joe. He waited until an appropriate break in the conversation, then said deferentially.

"Excuse me, Sergeant King? There is a Colonel Lusby on the line for you, if you will come with me?"

As soon as he says 'hello', the Colonel is off and running.

"KING! Thank God you're alive, boy! Blown out of the sky and lived to tell the tale. Outstanding, son. I heard that you cleaned up the hostiles pretty well too. Any word on Magruder? The Joint Chiefs are losing their minds over this, you know. Any idea who it was? China? The Moslims? Columbians? At any rate, with Magruder MIA, it's more important than ever to get you on U.S. soil. I'm sending you a liason from the Embassy in London. He's gonna get you home. Well?"

Archived