Aberrant: In the Beginning - Joe Smith

Stargaizer

April 9, 1998 9:00am

Joe Smith had always been more of a night owl than an early riser. It was amazing that, seeing as how James was more of a morning person, that the two of them had gotten along so well as roomies for these past 6 years.

James had opted for (not that he had a whole lot of choice) first shift at the nearby army base, so he'd actually arrived at work nearly an hour ago. Joe, on the other hand, hadn't gotten home until about midnight. The explosion of the Galatea and the subsequent manifestation of superhuman abilities apparently hadn't slowed peoples' appetites for some of the finer food in life.

After a long 10 hour night, Joe would probably just be getting up about this time. However, today, he'd actually gotten up before James. Since then he'd been watching CNN and aimlessly surfing the internet. He wasn't really searching for anything in particular, but one couldn't help but be interested in everything that was going on in the world. He wasn't hooked on the newsfeed, but he couldn't seem to turn it off either.

After a couple more hours of busily doing absolutely nothing, Joe laid back down, with the alarm set for 12:00. Ito wouldn't be much, but it'd be enough to possibly calm his nerves.

11:45

After a short bit of fitful sleep, Joe decided that he'd just head into work early. He could use the overtime anyways; one can never have too much money.

He spent twice as long under water that was twice as hot as it usually was, before taking his time getting dressed. Then, he decided against driving to work. The restaurant was about 2 miles from his house, but he had time, so he took off at a leisurely, contemplative stroll.

As he walked, he thought about everything and nothing. His mind flitted from one news report that he'd half heard to another, and from one half read article through dozens upon dozens of pictures of this new breed of human that could do things straight from the comic books.

The walk was almost uneventful. The only negative was that Joe had to speed up when he saw several guys standing on the opposite street corner eying him as he got near the restaurant. He'd seen them before and even been roughed up by them once. This time they didn't pursue, and once Joe was at work he didn't have time to think of much else but his tables. Thursday nights were the first good night of the week, it was when people started getting out and going to dinner and the clubs. It was never as good as Saturday or Sunday, but it was decent.

This Thursday was not decent. Three of his tables had been full of rude people constantly demanding his attention and not one of the three left a tip despite the hard work he'd put in. One of them, a large group from a local office had even gone so far as to complain about him to his manager. They had sat there for three hours yapping and demanding refills of water and more bread. Once the kitchen had closed he'd politely informed them there was no more bread, and some tubby guy with a pinched face had gotten up and stalked over to the manager and started going off about how bad his service had been. Joe was a professional, he'd never even let the guy's glass get empty. With a long suffering sigh he just listened as the manager scolded him. He only had twenty dollars to show for the entire night. Not a good start to the busy part of the week.

1:00 AM rolled around and he finally got out of the restaurant and was headed home. He was just thinking about how much easier it would be to have the comic book powers of these new super people when an arm reached out from around the corner of a building and pulled him into the alleyway. The same group of thugs from earlier surrounded Joe and started taking turns punching him in the gut. After each had had a turn the leader smirked and said, "We'll take your lunch money now McFly."

As soon as the hand grabbed his shirt from around the corner, Joe knew he was in for it. Had he not been so distracted, he was sure that he'd have been able to dodge the grasp and then they'd be out in the street. Thugs and bullies were much less likely to ply their trade if they were out in the open (even if it was 1 a.m.).

As each one of the wannabe gansters had their turn, Joe tensed. Through his many years of karate training, one thing that he'd learned was the ability to take a hit without it fazing him much, if at all. However, he knew better than to let on that he wasn't in agony, so he played along, grunting with each punch and staying doubled over and heavily panting afterwords. He tried his best to put an appropriate ammount of pain in his words, not giving in that he was only mildly sore yet not tring to ham it up. He spoke between pants, his mind, for the first time in days, racing for a way to get out of this.

"Jose... you know me... if I had any money..."

He wasn't able to finish his sentence before a fist struck him full force in the cheek. There was a brief explosion of stars in his vision as Jose's fist hit him, and from his still doubled over position, it seriously knocked him off balance.

After the flash of stars, on his way to the ground, Joe thought quick. He didn't want to deal with these guys, he didn't want to fight them, he just wanted to be away. He'd even split his tips, putting $10 in his pants pocket and hiding the other $10 in his right sock, just in case something like this happened. But, after a long, hard day, he was just flat fed up, and didn't want to deal with these people.

He knew that these guys didn't know about his training, and that they thought he was helpless (which, much to the chargin of his training was almost true). They had him backed up to a wall, were surrounding him, and he was on his way to the ground.

The choice wasn't easy, and he wasn't even sure, days later, why he'd made it, but he bolted. The adrenaline pumping through his system cleared his head and readied his muscules. In the fluidist movement he could manage, hoping for the element of suprise, he droped one hand to the pavement, beside him in the direction he was falling. The split second before it hit, he pushed off with his feet, using his hand on the pavement as a pivot he swung his legs around towards a gap between two thugs blocking his way towards the road.

What he expected to happen was to push off the pavement with his hand and glide through the air, around waist height, between the two thugs, plant his feet, and use his forward momentum to start his sprint towards home. He hoped he'd be to the street before it finally clicked that he was running, and prayed for traffic. He planned to run right down the middle of the street, dodging cars, as far as it took to loose persuit.

Of course, that's what he planned on doing...

Maybe it was the punch to the head, maybe it was the horrible night he had, maybe it was just the stress of the situation, but Joe had a mother of a heading starting to build. That thought just barely registered as he began a ballet of moves that landed him outside the circle of thugs and onto the street. Unfortunately the last bit where he dove through the two didn't go quite as planned and instead of landing on his feet after a diving roll, one of the guys reacted just fast enough to grab a sleeve of Joe's shirt and sent the beautiful tumble into an awkward spinning roll. Sprawlled in the street he had just enough time to roll further into the middle of the street and avoid the drunk driver that never even saw him.

He had just enough time to come to his feet in a staggering run before the thugs reacted and were after him. He was a mile and a half from home, but there was no way this chase would last that long, one way or the other. Jose and his friends were putting on as much speed as they could. They were like a pride of lions, good for quick bursts of speed, but if the prey wasn't brought down within a short chase the pride would fall behind and give up. At least that was Joe's hope as he came up on the 5th street bridge. Of course it wasn't a real bridge, just where the street crossed a drainage ditch, but there was a choice, keep running straight across and hope to out run them, or jump the fence and run down into the ditch and hope to lose them.

Now that Joe was out in the open, he basically only had one hope: run. Fast.

Between the headace that was forming and the fact that these guys had ever so slightly faster reactions than he'd expected, he didn't trust himself at jumping the drainage ditch. Besides, they probably knew that shady area better than he did, and he didn't feel like stopping, hiding, and getting his face punched or blown in.

Besides, he had something that they didn't: a group of people who wanted to kill him chasing him.

Joe called forth every last reserve that he had, from his years of karate training, as well as the promise that he'd never again walk to work, to propel his feet faster than he thought humanly possible (or at least faster than he'd ever been made to run before). Running for the arch of the bridge, Joe never looked back, wishing himself on the farside of the bridge, so he never saw what Jose and his cronies were doing...

Never heard them either thanks to the blood pounding in his ears and his rasping breath. He felt it though when the length of chain hit him in the leg and wrapped around his ankles sending him sprawling against the railing of the bridge and then over. There was only two feet of water in the ditch and it didn't do much more than hurt as his back slammed full length into the water knocking out his breath with the force. He sank into dirty blackness of the water as it closed over him without a breath left in his body and his feet unable to move from the chains. He felt more than heard the splashes as Jose and his thugs jumped into the water searching for him. The lack of air was a pressure in his chest but it was dwarfed by the pressure in his head as he ran out of air.

1:15am, Friday April 10, 1998

As Joe lies under the water, unable to move and unable to breathe, his mind lethargically cycles through the events of the day. From the no sleep, to the time wasted on the internet, saying bye to James, all the faces he served, and finally having his mind elsewhere, which lead to this; his death. Darkness creeped into the edges of his mind, even as the fire burned in his chest. The last thing he remembered was the stars appearing in his vision as he lost conciousness and opened his mouth to inhale his last, watery breath.

---------------------

Jose had already grabbed the chain from Ricky who had thrown it. It shouldn't have been this hard to find this guy, the chain was wrapped around his ankles, and he was in shin deep water. Well, at least it was shin deep.

Chain still in his hand, Jose looked down at the water level which was now just above the tops of his Nike's. Funny thing, he didn't remember moving, or stepping up on anything. Then, as he watched it, the water level dropped further down, until he was just standing on dry concrete.

Well, it oughta be easy to find thus sucker now...

Jose looked up and noticed several things in quick succession. The first, was the moving wall of water that encircled him and his guys. The second was the frightened mumblings and scared looks of said guys (even some whispered prayers to some lady named Mary).

After looking around and confirming that the wall of water had them completely surrounded and the it did, indeed, surround the entire group, Jose noticed that the chain had gone slack. Looking back in the direction their mark had been lying in, Jose saw something that made him wish that he knew this Mary well enough to pray to her.

On the outside of the wall of water, floating above the ground, light blue light shining from his eyes, mouth, feet and hands that were moving like some mad magician, was the man that they'd followed into this ditch. The eyes of this man/monster/angel/demon/thing locked onto Jose's, and it was then that he noticed his hands stinging. He looked down and saw small cuts appearing out of nowhere.

---------------------

The pleas and shouts of pain fell upon deaf ears, and never made it beyond the edges of the drainage ditch, as the mist given off by the wall of water turned razor sharp and started nicking and cutting Jose and his goons.

For almost his entire life, Joe had shoved pain, regret, sorrow and anguish deep into his subconcious. Now, with his concious mind incapacitated, and his subconcious wielding all the fury of nature, these thugs were going to pay. They weren't only going to pay for nearly killing Joe, they weren't just going to pay for all the people that they'd mugged, raped and murdered. No, these guys were going to pay for everything that had ever happened to Joe, everything that he had ever had to shove and bury in his subconcious so that he could stay the 'good little boy'. These guys were going to pay... and they did.

---------------------

Floating a foot off the ground and looking like a twisted version of the magician in Fantasia, the being that used to simply be Joe moved in time with what he commanded the elements to do.

With fluid, circular movements of his arms, he kept the thugs contained with the wall of water.

With flowing flicks of his wrists, razor sharp needles of water seperated from the wall and cut the men inside.

With a long and deliberate exhale, he reduced the air pressure inside the wall of water until his deafened ears could barely hear the screams of those inside.

With a solid stomp on the ground, he turned the ground inside the wall into a pit of earthen spikes. Not so much as to kill any who remained upright, but enough to squewer any who happened to fall down.

And finally, with a fist held towards the sky and a jump, the being called a pillar of fire from the heavens down into the area surrounded by the wall of water as he brought his fist down, all the way to the ground. The fire burned the men to ashes, then vaporized their ashes into their constituant atoms, and then ionized their constituant atoms into their most basic particles.

---------------------

All traces of Jose and his crew having been burned from existance, the being collapsed. The wall of water came crashing down, and what didn't flash vaporize on the superheated concrete continued down it's original path. The brief 'pop' from air rushing back into what what about a half vaccum overshadowed by the crash of the water wall. The superheated concrete was soon cooled by the regularaly flowing water. So, the only evidence of what had happened was a jagged circle of broken concrete, the sufaces of which had been superheated until they turned to glass.

The ground slowly accepted the collapsed being, as he sunk through the concrete and the ground beneith. Knowing where he wanted to go, his subconcious, with the last remaing bits of it's power, moved him through the earth, which slowly revealed him at the front doorstep of his apartment.

1:25am, Friday April 10, 1998

His clothes, torn from his experiences tonight, were the only outward evidence of what had happened that night to the peacefully sleeping form lying on the doorstep of Joe and James' appartment.

Joe lay unconscious for nearly four hours until James nearly tripped over him on the way out to work. One call to 911, an ambulance ride and an MRI later the hospital administrator was on the phone to the World Health Organization.

"Yes, This is Dr. Marvin Wienbaum, with St. Elizabeth's. I believe we might have one of the new people here in the hospital. No, he hasn't displayed any powers that I know of but from the MRI he has one of the nodes of tumor like material in his brain. Yes, he is unconscious... Certainly, we will do what we can for him. His roommate brought him in. He appeared to have been in some kind of altercation. Right. Yes. We will, isolation, yes. Yes. When will he arrive? Good. Thank you." Dr. Wienbaum hung up the phone and bit his lower lip in worry.

Six hours later Joe woke up to find a man sitting in a chair next to his hospital bed. Given the headache and the unfamiliar surroundings it took a bit to register where he was and remember what had happened the night before. "Good afternoon Joe. I am Steven Krum, and I understand you had a rough evening. How are you feeling?"

Joe woke up with a start. The last thing that he remembered was loosing consciousness under the water. The headache was still there, but everything else had changed. He was in a white room, staring at the ceiling lights. His first thought was

Am I in heaven?

As his vision cleared and he looked around the room, Joe finally came to his senses. Then he noticed the man sitting beside him.

And the man spoke.

But the man's words didn't make sense. Of course he'd had a rough night, he nearly been mugged (might've been after he lost consciousness), and apparently only almost drown. Apparently this guy was a cop. Once he swallowed several times to bring his voice back to life, he still could only manage a small, breathy voice (or at least that's all his mind told him he could muster).

"Jose... and his crew... after I got off of work... I was walking home... little after 1 in the morning... pulled me into an alley... saw 5 including Jose... managed to get away and ran... wrapped something around my legs as I ran over the bridge... fell into the water... nearly drowned..."

Joe turned as much as he could to face the man. His face was both serious and curious, as was his tone.

"Who saved me? Who got me out of that ditch? I really need to thank them, they saved my life. I thought I was dead."

Steven frowned, "I am afraid I don't know the answer to that. You were found this morning unconscious on your own doorstep by your roommate. No one reported anything, and as far as we can tell no money or anything was stolen from you, so I doubt it was Jose that played rescuing angel. Joe, may I call you Joe? I am with the World Health Organization and I was called in to consult on your case. When they couldn't rouse you earlier they did an MRI to see if you might have a head injury or other neural malady. What they found was very intriguing. It seems you are one of the Homo Sapiens Novus." He gave that a minute to sink in and see how Joe would respond to the news.

Joe listened to Steven. It was as if there were a brief light of understanding, before the heavy fog of confusion settled back in.

"So... you're not a cop...?" Joe asked with uncertainty. That question hung in the air as the rest of what Steven had said processed.

"Wait... you're saying that I'm one of those new people... one of those Novus?" The last word was spoken without halt or falter, in the practiced way of someone who either talked a lot about Novas or was familiar with Latin.

Joe chuckled as he laid back down on the bed. "Well, that would explain this headache," He added with enough mirth to show that he didn't believe it. "Look doctor, I don't know what happened between when I passed out and now, but someone must be pulling..." Joe paused as the reality of it struck him. This man had been called all the way from the WHO because of an MRI the doctors had done on him. This was no joke.

"An MRI you say...

Steven nodded, "Yes, two MRI's actually. The first one caused them to phone the WHO. They figured you were either a Novus or you had a brain tumor that was likely to kill you pretty quick. They asked me in to confirm. When I arrived I had them do a second one. The results are conclusive. Your node has grown between the first and second MRIs, which is of course why you have that horrible headache. You are very definitely a Nova." The usually serious man smiled at the reaction of that statement.

"I would like to invite you to come to the Aeon Society's facility in England for a couple weeks to be tested. They can also likely help you discover what your abilities are and master them. All expenses paid of course."

Joe sat upright, as quick as he could, and stared Steven in the face. There was a great deal of concern and anxiety in his voice and eyes. "Wait, wait... I was either a Novus or someone who would die quickly from a brain tumor? So, just because this mass makes me a Novus and it's not just a tumor, that means I'm not going to die from it... what's the difference? What's to keep this 'node' from not killing me like a tumor would've?"

After the satisfactory explanation, Joe calmed down significantly and began thinking about the offer. "So, an all expenses paid trip to England, and I get to learn what I can do, and I get to master what I can do... Besides the fact that I'll have to check with work and see if I can get some time off, what's the catch?" Then, as an afterthought, "Oh, and I'll have to get a passport or something, won't I?"

Steven nodded. "That pretty much sums it up. As for the Passport, the WHO is taking care of expediting that. We have an understanding with the US government." He leaned forward and lowered his voice. "I'm really not supposed to mention this, but all of the other Novas who have come to the Aeon Society for testing have received a very nice bit of compensation. Several times your yearly salary in fact." He grins, "Reason I'm not supposed to mention it is because if the candidate turns out not to be a Novus we don't want lawsuits on our hands, but I've seen the MRIs and I'm completely convinced. All you need to do is say the word and we can have you on a plane within a day."

Joe smiles and nods as Steven talks. He has a big grin on his face as Steven finishes. "Well, you may have an understanding with the US government, but you haven't met my boss. If I were to die without giving two weeks notice, he would commit suicide just to come and find me and bring me back to work in the morning."

Suddenly Joe looked very nervous as he scoured the room with his eyes for a clock. "Speaking of which, how long have I been out and what time is it, I have to be to work by 2."

Steven looked at his watch. "3:30. Your manager was informed that you were in the hospital. I understand he did some grumbling about not being given a weeks notice or some such, but your roommate had a few choice words for him."

"If you accept Aeon's offer you really won't have to worry about money though."

Joe visibly relaxed, though not all the way. He smiled, "James always did try and look out for me. And, it's not about the money, I just don't really like leaving the place I work in a bind."

Joe was silent for several moments, seeming to mull things over in his head. "There are two people I'd like to see before I go. When can I get out of here, and when can I get something for this headache," he asked Steven as he rubbed his forehead.

"Well, they supposedly have some medicines that help over in England at the facility. Might have some here in the US as well, but I wouldn't know where. As for when you can get out of here. You are free to leave whenever you want, or whenever your head will allow. If you want to go we could stop by and see them on the way to the airport."

Joe was about to shake his head to clear it, but thought better of it. He turned and tried to test his balance by getting off the bed. Holding the paper gown together with his left hand, he looked around the room before his gaze settled on Steven. "You have any idea where they put my clothes?"

He tested his rapidly returning dexterity by taking a few steps. "Well, James should still be at work, but he should be getting back within the hour. And besides, I need to pack. Then maybe we can swing by the university."

Provided Steven knew where his clothes were, he'd get dressed. Otherwise, he would ask Steven if he could find someone who would know.

Steven pointed to a wardrobe against one wall. Joe clothes were cleaned and pressed, but still showed signs of the struggle the night before. Steven waved, "I'll be in the hall waiting for you. I'll have my car brought around."

Several hours later found Joe packed and ready to go and James was home and talking about the trip and saying how he wished he could go along, "If work wasn't so crazy I'd love to go along." He sounded kind of odd when he said it.

Joe packed almost all his clothes, thing is, it only filled up two suitcases and a garment bag. He had several sets of white shirt/black pants, which he guessed he could dress up (to not look like a waiter) with a tie and/or suit jacket. He also had more than a few bluejeans/t-shirts.

He didn't really like saying goodbye to James, he was the closest thing Joe had to family, since he'd more or less lost track of his own. He assures James that he'll mail in his half of the rent, and even says he'll try and send a little extra to cover utilities and such.

When James started sounding off, Joe started getting concerned. He tried to keep the mood somewhat light, however. "Well, James, Steven here," He pointed to Steven with his thumb, "says that he's got an understanding with the US Government." With that he turns towards Steven but continues to talk to James. "Maybe he could get you a few days off, or a leave of absence or something..."

He leaves the question hanging in the air, not wanting to push Steven (or his generosity) too far, but wanting to help his roomie none the less.

Steven frowned slightly, "Well, the agreement covers passports for Novus and their families, but doesn't go so far as to getting civilian contractors out of their obligations to the US military. If he can arrange for time off and get a passport I'm sure transportation and accommodations could be arranged for a visit later."

James nodded as if it was what he expected to hear, but seemed just a little disappointed in spite of himself. "It's ok, Joe, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get free for a couple weeks at least until this current project is completed. If these Aeon Society people will pay, I'll be happy to visit you though." He seems a little more cheerful and hopeful as he says it.

Steven waited for the two to say their goodbyes, "Well, Joe, all packed up and ready to go? Did you still need to swing by that other friends home on the way out?"

Joe said his goodbyes, saying that he'd miss him, couldn't wait for him to get some time off work, and reassuring him that he'd send the rent check, post cards and emails. He also promised a souvenir or two.

As he headed towards the car with Steven, carrying his own bags, he replied, "Actually, I'd be willing to bet that he's done with his classes and still in his office right now. Dr. Brown always did work late."

Steven nodded, "the university it is."

The drive wasn't long at all and when they arrived sure enough Dr Brown was working late. As they arrived a young graduate student was just leaving the office, "Thank you professor, that insight will really help on the thesis." She waved and turned surprised to find others waiting and nodded to you as she passed.

Dr. Brown looked up at the two new arrivals and started to say something, but then noticed one of the men was Joe and smiled instead. "Joe my boy, good to see you. I was just about to leave for the evening, but I can spare a few minutes for you. What brings you by so late, and who is your friend?"

Joe smiles broadly as soon as Dr. Brown acknowledges him. He enters and motions for Steven to do so as well. As Dr. Brown stands, he introduces the two of them. "Dr. Brown, this is Steven from the World Health Organization, Steven, this is Dr. Brown. She was my adviser when I was here, and though I've graduated, she still seems to like me," Joe smiled at his joke, "In all honesty, she's my mentor."

Introductions made, everyone sat down, and once everyone was comfortably seated, Joe answered Dr. Brown's original questions. "Well Dr, I have some good news and some bad news; funny thing is, it's the same news. I'm a novus." He let that sink in a second before continuing. "I got mugged last night by Jose and his crowd." He'd told Dr. Brown all about his previous run-ins with Jose in some of his previous visits. "Well, they almost drown me under the 5th street bridge. Well, I lost consciousness and somehow ended up on my doorstep. James took me to the hospital, they did an MRI, and called Steven here. He came and confirmed it, I'm a novus."

That was the the bulk of the story up to this point, and he looked to Dr. Brown for her reaction.

Dr. Brown at first was skeptical, then worried, but then seeing the confirmation on Steven's face she broke in to a delighted smile. "That's wonderful! I'm glad you were hurt. So what kind of powers did you get?" Her normal professional reserve has been put on hold as she shares your moment of triumph.

Over the next hour Dr. Brown listens to a full recount of events with much worry on her face. Then the conversation turns to the upcoming trip and she is sad that Joe will be leaving. In the end she promises to visit the Aeon Society's facility after the end of the winter semester and see Joe then. With a strong hug she said goodbye and Joe found himself on his way to England.

Many hours and a good deal of jet lag later Joe arrived at the estates. The place was a bustle of activity for a stately old manor house. Practically everywhere people were moving about, some obviously novas by their beauty or grace. As they walked up to the entrance Joe even caught a glimpse of a man taking off into the sky flying toward the city. He had definitely arrived. An hour later he had his things put away in a guest room and was led to the dining hall for a meal. Steven gestured at the people, "These are mostly Novas like you. Get yourself some food and relax for the afternoon and the doctors will start on your testing and training in the morning." With that Steven wandered off to get some sleep of his own since that sounded better to him than any amount of good food.

[Joe's Story continues in the 'Chapter 2 - The Firmament of Heaven' thread...]

• 2 weeks later...

[Continued from the 'Chapter 2 - The Firmament of Heaven' thread]

Joe sits up with a start, to realize that he was sitting on the floor. His first thought was that he fell off of the bed. Then, he looked up and realized that it was not the same room. Or was it? The shape was right, but the equipment was gone, as was the bed. A discreet cough behind him spun him around on his buttcheeks.

"Sorry." The fortyish woman had strands of gray in her otherwise bright red hair. She looked at him with an impish smile at odds with her age.

"I'm just resting," she said, "and then we'll get out of this god-forsaken place. I hate it here, but it is one of the few places on the planet where a large amount of Q can be used and no one will think anything about it. As soon as I'm juiced back up, we'll go, and I'll collect the others. No reason we can't talk, though. My name is Jennifer Corbin. You can call me 'Slider'. I'm sure you have questions. I have the answers."

Joe simply blinked several times. He looked around the room, to try and get his bearings. Not seeing anything that immediately caught his attention, he turned his full focus on 'Slider'. He cleared his throat, furrowed his brows, and blinked several more times. He starts off slowly, almost as if she doesn't really know what she's talking about.

"Well... the biggest question on my mind is still 'what can I do?', followed closely by 'where's Dr. Rashoud?', 'where am I?', 'who are you?', 'what is 'Q'?', and 'just what do you think you're doing?'.

Figuring that that barrage would leave her head spinning enough, Joe simply sat where he was, waiting for her to fumble on at least one or two of his six questions.

Slider smiled confidently.

"You can control the four elements. Earth, Air, Fire, and Water, although you may still be learning. Dr. Rashoud is either staring blankly at a room that you just vanished from, or attending an OpConference on the decline of eruption from her apartment in Cairo, depending on whether you mean then or now. You are exactly where you were, only the names have changed. This facility is the N.U.F.U. Center for Novus Studies, formerly known as the Aeon Society's Omega Complex. As I said, I am Jennifer Corbin, the leader of the I.N.A, although I realize that that means little to nothing to you. 'Q' is quantum, or juice, or powah, and it is what we use to do the things that we can do. And what I think I am doing is saving my people from enslavement using the only recruits that are left to me, Novas from the past. In particular, Novas that died in the Purge. Clear as mud?"

She grins at Joe's expression.

"Look, the first thing you need to know is that I have brought you forward in time, to the year 2029. The second thing you need to know is that you are now in the middle of a war."

Joe gave a little cough, covering a harumph. In a slightly skeptical voice, he replied to her, trying to not show that he was completely flabbergasted. "Well, Slider, seeing as how I just figured out what my powers are, controlling the elements, and I have absolutely no idea of how to do that, I don't think that I'd be very useful as a soldier in your war.

Even so, how do you even know that I'd be fighting for you and not against you in this war?"

Joe wasn't really trying to antagonize the only person who could take him back 'home', but he was trying, as best his swirling mind could in this situation, to convince her to take him back.

What Joe really needed right now was a nap... and a history book.

Slider grew serious. She tugged her fingers through her hair, then spoke almost angrily.

"I'll take the chance. After all, the first time around, Pax and his ubermensch killed you in the Purge. So, I have to believe that you are at least a little on my side. And trust me, with a little bit of practice, you are going to be one of the most potent Novus on the planet."

She stood, rubbing her back with one hand.

"But, it's more than that. I don't want to win this war here, or now. It's gone too far for that. But, if I can convince any of you, you or the Doctor, or Jaunt, or Cottus, or Gwyn, even ONE of you, that what has happened is wrong... then I can send you back, and maybe it doesn't have to be this way."

She seems to be speaking almost to herself, as though she has forgotten that Joe is even there.

"Less than six hundred Novas left. Six hundred, out of almost three thousand. And all but thirty or so under Utopia's thumb. Two, maybe three eruptions a year, and I haven't had first shot at one in almost ten years. And conversion is a bitch. Once they're tagged, that's it, NUFU's got em. It used to be, you know, about fighting FOR something. Now, we're just trying to survive. Almost all my friends, dead. Andre, dead. As much as I love Juno, to hold him again would be..."

She shivers, then turns again to Joe. Her voice hardens.

"I'm rested. Enough to get us out of here, anyway. Any more questions before I 'port us somewhere safe, make them quick."

Joe was still trying to process everything as he spoke, so his speech seemed slow and broken. He wasn't trying to play dumb, he was just thinking as he was talking.

"Ok, Slider... We're not safe here?... So, just a few questions... not all of which have to be answered immediately... So after you explain all of what's going on, you'll send me back?... and, you have more of us here?... and are you or could you help me train with my powers?... or at least figure out how to use them... and this guy Pax goes er, uh, went bad and started the purge?..."

There was time between each question for Slider to give a simple yes, no, or head nod/shake. Joe glanced at her between each question, tearing his eyes away from the nothingness that he was staring at while he thought, to see her reaction, but continued on again before she had time to give any more of an answer.

Slider met Joe's eyes as he asked his questions. As he asked them, she answered, in a matter-of-fact tone.

"No, this is a NUFU installation. We are actually at war with NUFU, so if we were caught here, we would- well, it would be bad."

Her brow furrows at his next question.

"I... plan to send you all back. It will be more involved than just a quick explanation, I'm afraid, but I can't and I won't force you to do anything you don't want to do. That's Pax's M.O."

The venom with which she imbues Pax's name says much. It is clear that Slider holds him primarily responsible for the state of things. She nods quickly at his next question.

"It was impossible to move all of you temporally and spatially at the same time. I don't have that kind of Q. So, I pulled you all forward, and I plan to get everyone together very soon. It will cause some confusion, and could concievably have tragic consequences, but I did what I felt was best."

She seems to almost dare Joe to contradict her.

"I can introduce you to someone who can help you with your powers. Not all of them, but maybe they are related. Either way, you have some time to learn."

At Pax's name, she again becomes wrathful.

"Worse than bad, he's insane. Remember that, if nothing else. There is Pax's vision of the world, and nothing else can exist. We, none of us, recognized that until it was far too late. He let Novas choose their own paths just until he felt he knew where their allegiance lay, then systematically destroyed anyone who didn't share his vision. Most, they killed outright. The rest were forcibly converted, their quantum doled out to them by Pax's trained dogs. If they played ball, they kept their powers. If not... well, a nodectomy is quick and painless these days."

Although her face was stricken at her words, her voice was steady and showed little emotion. It was a story she had lived, and heard and told over and over for years. It was impossible not to believe her.

"Now, let's go. I still don't have the strength to get all of them, but I can get you and I out of here."

She placed a hand on his arm, and he felt.. something. Maybe the quantum signature that she had mentioned. A circular distortion appeared in the air in front of them. It engulfed them, and Joe felt himself 'sliding'.

They appeared in the dark. She guided him forward, and they turned to the right. The sudden appearance of torchlight was welcome. They were in a cave. Several people were sitting around a fire, obviously in the middle of talking, but they had turned at he and Slider's approach. One, a young girl, sprang from her spot with a squeal of pleasure.

"Jen!" She slammed into Slider with a force strong enough to almost knock her from her feet.

"You made it! I- I was so..." Slider silenced her with a kiss. It was a passionate embrace, and Joe turned away to maintain the illusion of privacy. After a time, they broke for air.

"Juno, everyone, this is Joe."

Juno looked up at the Novus.

"I remember you. Wow, that takes me back. You showed up at Aeon... right after my fight with Kat, am I right? That was the first time I really decided to use my power. Then, the next day was our meeting with Pax. I had this idea... but I lost it in the Roosevelt. If I hadn't, or if I had seen what Pax really was, maybe none of this-"

"Juno, stop," Slider interrupted her, "This doesn't solve anything, and we've been over and over it. Joe still has some questions, I'm sure. Then I'll introduce him around. Is she here?"

Juno glanced over her shoulder quickly.

"Yeah. She's swimming with 'Viathan. I don't know which one creeps me out more."

Slider squared her shoulders.

"I have to talk to her. Juno, answer the man's questions, will you? I'll be right back, Joe."

She strode off into the darkness. Juno looked after her fondly for a moment, then turned to the taller Novus.

"Ok, Joe, last chance. What have you covered so far? Are you on board with this or what?"

Joe listens to all of Slider's answers, trying to absorb as much as he can. He also pays as close attention as he can to Slider as she opens up the gateway, which subsequently swallows them up and dumps them into a dark cave tunnel. The slight nausea that it induced in Joe quickly faded as Slider lead them forward.

When Joe first saw the torchlight, he was very tempted to try and manipulate it, Slider had told him that he could control the elements, but he just as quickly thought better of it. He didn't know exactly what or how much he could do, and the last thing he wanted was to roast all the friends of the one person who could take him back.

While he was turned away from Slider and Juno, he took the time to look around at all the other people who were there, and to take in as much of his surroundings as he could. Then, when Slider left, he tried to remember as many names as he could; all of this could come in very useful when/if he went back. It could also prove invaluable in piecing together what had happened up to this point in the future.

When Juno turned and addressed him, he looked slightly taken aback at the abruptness of her comments. He stuttered his reply. "Ok, ok. I know that this Pax guy seems to be a tyranical dictator that nobody realized was as bad as he was until it was way past too late. However that's about all that I know.

Oh, and you guys are at war with a NUFU, and that novus' use something called 'Q' which can be detected and suppressed, and that, I think the AEon building where Slider pulled me from in my time is now a NUFU building where novus' can use a lot of this 'Q' without it being noticed." Here Joe took a breath before diving back in. By shear wanting to let Juno know that he still didn't know enough to make a final decision, he was pretty much restating everything and anything that he'd heard, almost tripping over himself in his rush to spew it all back out to her.

"Oh, and Slider is getting or has gotten some of us from the past, some of us who were killed in some sort of 'Great Purge', and she and you all hope to change the past so this doesn't happen. Oh, and there's this group called Utopia, and they're apparently bad guys too, and Slider said that someone would be able to help me with at least some of my powers, which, apparently is controlling the elements." He paused here to take a few more breaths and judge Juno's reaction.

"So, you see, I don't really know enough to know for sure whether I'm for or against you, though I do have to say that tyrannical dictators who kill everybody that opposes them are bad, and it seems like you guys have taken it fairly rough. But, I need to know the story from their side, to make sure that they're as bad as you guys make them out to be, and I need to know what you guys are about so that I can make sure that you're as good as you say you are," he holds out his hands, as if to protect himself and keep Juno at arm's length. He quickly adds, "Not that I'm saying that I'm against you, or that you guys are actually the bad guys, I'm just saying that it was only yesterday, or, actually the day before yesterday, when I thought I was just an average guy watching news reports about all these special people that had started popping up. Er, well, yesterday, the day before yesterday according to me, I've been a novus a lot longer here, er, well, I'm dead here, but I, well, you know... this is all just so new to me and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing... I mean, I just found out like five minutes ago what it is that I'm supposed to be able to do... I've never even used my powers yet, and here I am in the future and you guys are wanting me to save the world." Joe takes another deep breath and adds, very exasperatedly and pleadingly, "I just need a nap... and someone to explain things to me, everything to me, using small words, because I honestly have no idea what's going on or what I'm doing."

All that being said, Joe takes in a deep breath and lets it out slowly, slumping in the shoulders and starting to slouch as he does. He doesn't look like he's going to collapse or fall over, just like he feels the weight of the world on his shoulders and is plum tired. His eyes, however, while pleading and confused, look on Juno with an inner fire and strength that say that he's not going down easily, just that he's been hit with so much, so fast, that his head hasn't stopped spinning yet.

Juno sighed when Joe was done. Then she rested her hands on his shoulders, and looked him in the eyes.

"Ok. I understand. Jen did a lousy job bringing you up to speed. I'll do what I can to rectify that. You may want to have a seat, 'cause it's a long story."

Juno sat on a rock by the fire and indicated another rock for Joe. The others remained silent, staring into the flames, as Juno told her tale.

"First things first. You know about the Galatea, and people getting their powers shortly after. That's good. Originally, the World Health Organization was studying us, Homo Sapiens Novus, but they were really fronting for the Aeon Society. That's where we met, you and I. So, shortly after that, the Aeon Society met with the U.N., and officially took charge of the study of Novus. Pax and Mercer put forward a new organization, called 'Project: Utopia', to supposedly use Novus' power to benefit all mankind. Pax had a hardon for this 'Intervention Team' idea, called Team Tomorrow. 'A Brighter Tomorrow, Today'"

The men and women around the fire chuckled, a bitter laugh with no humor in it. Juno looked around at them sympathetically, then continued.

"Yeah, so anyway, it was like a godsend to most of the world. Utopia cleaned up the air and water, cured like hundreds of diseases, and Team Tomorrow, even though we were a little heavy handed sometimes, we were international icons, and getting rid of organized crime and dictators and stuff. Very inspiring. I was a founding member of T2M, and Jen joined when she erupted in 2000. Just in case you are thinking that this is some outsiders perspective or something. I was there.

"Ok. So, not everyone was a Utopian or a Tomorrowite. This guy Jedi started a sort of Nova talent agency, and they did stuff for money. I freelanced for him for a while. There were other agencies, other groups. For a while, it seemed like every podunk town with a city hall had a 'civic defender' or two on the payroll. The Japanese had this team, like T2M, called Nippontai, that was hugely popular at the time. Other countries started to do the same things. You have no idea how much that pissed Pax off.

"But things were mostly fine until about 2008. Nova population had exploded in the first few years, but then eruptions dropped off. By 2008, there was a pretty stable population of just under 3000 novas. Maybe a dozen eruptions a year, then. Lots and lots of us just stayed home and enjoyed our powers. You had your super fast housewife, whose home always was clean, and your flying lawyer, who only really flew at night to clear his head. You know, just people trying to live their lives. I think that's what started to drive Pax nutty. He thought that anyone with powers would jump at the chance to be on a SuperTeam and save the world. Well, that turned out not to be the case, and you could tell it ate at him.

"Jen left T2M around then, to work with Disney Down Under. She got the gig from her friend Andre, who had briefly been on the team too, but clashed way too much with Pax. I still remember the time that Andre hit him in the face with a pie! I wish it had been a tactical nuke. Anyway, when she left, I started noticing how wonky Pax was getting.

"He kept on about 'uncontained threats'. I remember he went on and on to Maxine and Nathan about how Utopia should crack down on non-Utopian novas. In his opinion, each and every nova should be part of Utopia. I was also hearing rumors about some 'secret' facility for studying high Taint novas. And that it was a Utopia facility. I guess that was also about the time that the INA first crossed Pax's radar.

"Back then, the INA, the Independant Novus Alliance, was just a loose affiliation of Novas who all shared some of the same ideas. That's what I heard, anyway. Pretty harmless. But some of those ideas were pretty radical, I guess, even if they were mostly self evident. See, these guys believed, and still believe, that we were a new species, and that rather than be used by humans for human goals, that Novus should determine their own goals, and work towards them. Pretty radical, but as far as I know, it was just talk. But not to Pax.

"Half of 2008 and all of 2009, all he talked about was the INA. Crops failed in Indiana? The INA was responsible. Plane crash? INA terrorist attack. Novas failing to join Utopia? INA influence. On and on. But, again, it was just talk. He was starting to border on paranoid, but no one really took it too seriously. That was our mistake.

"In January of 2010, the leader of the INA, a woman called Fahrenheit emerged in Paris. I've heard that she was trying to call a press conference to clear the air about the INA. If so, she never got to. T2M, including yours truly, showed up to arrest her on suspicion of international terrorism. A bunch of bullshit, but Pax had a hair up his ass.

"We cornered her in front of the Louvre. There were cameras, as always we were being broadcast live. Pax told her that she was unstable, and that she needed professional help. He was playing to the cameras, he never had any intention of getting help for her, but it was the wrong thing to say. She just stood there, with her head down, until he touched her arm. Then she showed everyone what 'Nova' really meant.

"See, Fahrenheit had over 150 novas in her 'Alliance', and they were pretty serious about it. When they felt that Pax attacked her unprovoked, a lot of them stepped in to stop it. We called in the other T2M teams, and the fighting went on for days. Pax and I survived. A few others. Seven members of Team Tomorrow died. Paris was pretty well destroyed. The civilian casualties were like 3 million. 3 million dead.

"Pax, and Utopia, knew that the backlash from that could destroy us, and novas everywhere, so they blamed it all on the INA. The destruction of Paris was the plan, they said. T2M and Utopia had contained the damage the best that they could, but the INA was bent on destroying all humans, everywhere.

"You would be surprised, I think, at what people will do with their backs against the wall. At the things they will give up, or the power they will give someone, anyone, who tells them that he can keep them safe. In what felt like no time at all, the U.N. had voted 'No-Confidence' in itself, and disbanded. It was re-formed under the mantle of NUFU. Nations United For Utopia. And the pogrom had begun."

There was a respectful silence around the fire. Then Juno took up her tale once more.

"For three years, they didn't do much but get as many countries and novas on board as would come willingly. Out of fear of terrorism, or desire to help, it was a lot. Even Jedi gave up his business and pledged his support to Utopia. Nippontai joined as well. There were a few holdouts, in terms of nations, and quite a lot of novas still maintained independence. In 2013, Utopia stopped asking.

"In something like a week, Utopian novas overthrew the governments of the remaining nations, and established governments that pledged loyalty to NUFU. The expanded T2M hunted down every independent nova on the planet, and the ones that converted had microchips inplanted into their bone, since they weren't fully trusted. The ones that didn't convert were turned over to Utopia to be disposed of. No mass murder that could be broadcast, just privately, quietly reducing the novus population by half.

"It took them six years to hunt down Fahrenheit and deal with her. In the meantime, Utopia keeps the human population happy with Novus-derived technology and massive projects to change the face of the world. All of humanity 'benefits' from being herded into gigantic arcologies. 99% of the world is dedicated to 'replentishment'. Huge tracts of virgin forest and gardens spread all over the world. And almost 400 of the biggest buildings ever built house all of humanity.

"As you can guess, I left T2M. It took some doing, but I had help from outside. The novus population is down to under 600. The INA has just under 30 of them. Pax and Utopia have an iron grip on the world, and with 2-3 eruptions a year, we have no one to recruit to even the odds. But Jenny has a plan, even I don't know all the specifics, and part of it is to bring you and some others to our time from the beginning of it all.

"I trust Jenny. I don't know how we can turn around this dog's dinner that we've been served, but somehow it involves you. I just hope that you will try to understand how important this is to us."

Juno falls silent. She turns to stare into the fire, reluctant to push any harder.

Joe sat on the rock that was offered and listened intently as Juno told him the history of this world. He nodded and added an 'uhuh' where appropriate, but mostly he just listened. Listened and absorbed as much as he could. As Joe listened, the story became clear. He could understand why they, why he, had acted the way that they had. He empathized with them, with himself in this world's past, and, more importantly, with the INA Novas around him.

The freedom of choice, the very idea of free will was apparently being kept alive by this rag-tag band of less than 30 super-powered humans. Even now, knowing that it had cost him his life, he still stood by his decision to fight against the tyrannical Pax.

Joe stared into the fire after Juno had finished, connecting as many loose ends as he could. Then, after what must've seemed like an eternity to Juno, Joe finally responded. No longer was his voice wherried and confused, now it was resolute and assured. "I still have a couple questions, but teach me to use my abilities and I will do everything in my power whether here or in my time, to see that this future is changed." He paused for a beat and looked Juno in the eyes, the fire they were sitting around mirrored in his eyes.

"When do we start?"

"We start now."

This came from the darkness, an unfamiliar female voice, tinged with a hint of European accent. Entering the pool of firelight was Slider and a middle aged woman, slim but with a noticeably athletic build, unusually pale skin, and long black hair shot with gray. Juno and the others parted for her, but she barely noticed. She strode into the circle, and up to Joe, peering up at him with an intensity in her hazel eyes that was a bit frightening.

"You can control the elements, yes? Earth and Air, Water...Fire?"

Her eyes pinned him where he stood. Slider answered for him.

"He can. I knew him from before."

The woman never took her eyes off of Joe. For a moment, there seemed to be hate in her gaze, then it softened into mere rage. Joe quickly got the sense that there was little that this woman found to like in the world. She spoke to him sharply.

"From this moment forward, I will be your teacher. Do not expect me to be kind, for kindness teaches nothing but weakness. You are adrift in a time not your own, in a war not of your choosing. I care nothing for your problems. Either you can learn, or you cannot, that is all that concerns me."

She must have seen something in Joe's eyes, something that she didn't like, and she answered what she believed his question would be.

"As for who I am, I am the teacher. I am the one who will force you to learn your powers, though I have none of my own. They removed my node, you see, and though Richard healed me, though he even regrew my node, the quantum remains silent to me."

Juno murmured, "Poor Rich," behind the woman.

Without taking her eyes off of Joe, the woman snapped, "And I care nothing for Richard or his problems either. He wanted to bring power to the world, he should rejoice at his plight."

"But to be used as a... a living battery, it's disgusting!" Juno protested.

"I have said I care nothing for his problems. It is enough that I teach this one, and perhaps he will fight to free Richard. Or perhaps not. Either way, he will learn what I teach, or I will not waste my time with him."

She licked her lips, and finally, finally dropped her eyes from Joe's. They had begun to water with her unblinking stare.

"You will not call me Fahrenheit, for I will not be made mock of. You will call me Sascha. We will begin, of course, with Fire"

Joe looked at 'Sascha' but didn't meet her eyes. Her forehead, her nose, her mouth, but not her eyes. He listened to everything she said and pushed everything else out of his mind. Fourteen years of instruction at a dojo had instilled a very rigorous student mentality.

Joe didn't immediately consider Sascha his sensei, but after the thrashing that she gave him, she was probably more solidly there than any of Joe's other senseis.

After Sascha's introduction, Joe stood up slowly, took a step back, and bowed to Sascha in a very formal, well practiced bow. The only thing missing from his stance, tone and attitude as he responds is the gi. "Your patience in taking me as your student honors me, Sascha Sensei. And I will do my best to not dishonor you, Sensei."

This was finally what Joe had been waiting for, ever since he had found out that he was a nova. He finally knew what his powers were, and he was about ready to train them. He was ready to train as much as was required, and as hard as required in order to master this new ability. His years of karate had taught him self-control and discipline, and now, at last, he would be able to start applying that control and discipline to his new-found abilities.

Over the past few minutes, Joe had shown several sides. First confused and lost boy, rapt listener and now perfect oriental student. Thing is, this flow seemed to come easy and naturally to Joe, with not a hint of any of it being forced.

• 3 months later...

Sascha nodded preemptorily, as though she had expected nothing less. Juno and Slider wandered off together, talking quietly with their heads together. A few of the remaining INA members watched in silence as Sascha faced off opposite Joe.

"Your instincts will be to 'reach out' to the fire. This is not entirely incorrect, however it is not the most effective way to learn control. You must 'become' the flame. Feel as it feels, do as it does. The same will be true for each of the other elements. Anger, hate, passion... these 'hot' emotions must be fed to the flame. Only then will you master it and bend it to your will. Similarly, you must deal with water fluidly and with maximum flexibility. Cool emotion, logic, dispassion will help you become one with air. Solidity, steadfastness, implacability will aid your work with earth."

Sascha pointed at a torch near her. Her eyes fixed on his, glittering in the flickering light. Her mouth drawn to a straight line, she barked.

"Feel this flame. Become it. Make it grow."

Reach out, makes sense… ok, don’t do that… yet… not ready for that yet. ‘Become’ the flame… becomethe flame? Flames have feelings… ok, do as it does. Anger, hate, passion… ah, ‘hot’ emotions are what it feels. Passion… jealousy? Master it, yes, that’s what I want to do… bend it to my will, ok, that works too… ok, ‘hot’ emotions for fire, fluidity and flexibility for water, cool emotions, logic, dispassion… be Vulcan for air, solidity, steadfastness, implacability… stubbornness for earth…

Joe paid no attention to Juno, Slider, or any of the other INA members as he tried to listen as intently as he could to Sascha’s instructions. He tried to keep his thoughts and feelings inside, as he listened, using his years of study to keep his face a stony mask. However, as he was learning new material, he was concentrating more on the material than his outward appearance; so while most would simply see a mask that could’ve been chiseled out of granite, someone who knew what to look for would’ve been able to easily see his confusion, concentration and revelation.

Then came Sascha’s request. With little more than an introduction, she expected him to actually do something with his power. He didn’t know what else he’d expected, but it came a bit abruptly to him. He recovered quickly though, and bowed once to Sascha and once more to the torch.

Become the flame… He stared intently into the flame, loosing himself in its’ orange flickering.

Anger, hate passion… these ‘hot’ emotions must be fed to the flame… Inside the flame he pictured Jose, his posse, and all the other bullies who had ever picked on him. As he tried to mentally project all those images, angry, hateful and hurtful feelings, into the flame, his hand rose of their own accord, almost as if he were a magician conjuring the flames to rise higher. His heart started racing faster, his vision started to tunnel, and for the first time in a long time, he felt something that he thought he’d quelled in himself. He was loosing control; there were actually parts of his highly trained body that were acting on their own.

Joe dropped both his head and his hands. With his body now under his control, he stood up straight, closed his eyes, and took a cleansing breath, moving his hands downward in front of him. His mind, as well as his body was now back under his control, so he started again; but this time he went about it differently. In his mind, he cleared out everything but karate, and of that, he cleared out everything but the katas. Of the katas, he cleared out all but the ones with the most fierce, passionate, and yet controlled movements.

As Joe started again, all of the passion, determination and pride in his body was put into each kata, and with each form the total increased. By the third form, as Joe inched closer to the torch, his eyes started to glow a sky blue, and by the fifth form, he was channeling everything he had within him, through his form, into the flame.

His last form, which brought him dangerously close to the fire that he was trying to enhance, ended with his left foot in front, and both arms, ending in fists, thrust forward towards the torch. Every bit of passion that he had about karate, teaching, protecting, and displaying, as well as the pride that he had in his abilities, the determination he had to do his forms perfectly and to not dishonor his sensei, all of which had been growing with each form, the sum total he channeled through his last form and into the torch flame.

OOC: Elemental Mastery (Fire): Enhance (+1 diff)

Dice pool: Int + Elemental Mastery = 3

6 Quantum to activate

using 1 WP for auto-success

(4/5 WP // 24/30QP)

Archived