Aberrant RPG - New Quantum Power Weaknesses

El'Jinn Uu

Please tell me what you think of these weaknesses.

Activation Difficulty (+1 Weakness)

On top of any other strike and or activation rolls the Nova may require in-order to use a power with this weakness, they must now also succeed on a Willpower check at difficulty 1. During stressful moments, like combat, difficulty increases to 2, and to 3 when in very high stress times (IE: a loved-one just died in front of you and your about to loose something important to yourself). ½ normal Pain penalties apply to this roll as well.

If the Nova wishes to, he/she/it may spend a point of temporary willpower to auto succeed on this roll. Further more the nova will not need to make another Willpower Activation Check for that power for the remainder of the scene.

Powered by Will (+2 Weakness)

Powers with this Weakness are fueled by expending points of willpower instead of Quantum. The amount expended is equal to the level of the power, IE: Level 1 power cost 1TWP (Temporary Will Power) point, Level 2 cost two, level 3 cost 3 etc. This may seem like a cheap way to fuel some powers, but considering how little an amount of TWP any given individual may possess, as well as how slowly it is recovered, this weakness can become highly debilitation. In addition, since WP is being spent to activate said power, Temp Will may NOT be spent during this action, like for instance, to add an auto-success to a roll.

Note: This weakness may be applied both powers and Enhancements that normaly do not have an associated QP cost to them not. IE: Normaly a level two Invulnerability to "Iron" is always active, costing nothing to use. However, with this weakness it now costs 2 willpower.

Dual Activation Costs (+3 point Weakness)

This weakness is identical to the "Powered by Will" weakness, except the Nova must also expend the normal required amount(s) of quantum for the power to work. Understandably, this is a very debilitating weakness by draining Both WP and QP away from the Nova.

Note: This weakness may be applied (per "Powered by Will) to both powers and Enhancements that normaly do not normal have an associated QP cost value as long as the "Increased Quantum Cost" is also purchased.

Increased Quantum Cost (Variable cost)

In direct contrast to the "Reduced Cost" extra available for a power, this weakness increases the cost to power/activate any "Quantum Expression" link with this. Powers with this flaw may represents that the Nova did not fully understand how to best be efficient when first manifesting this power, or maybe they just wished for more power. This may have also been just an attempt at gaining powers beyond them, or maybe it was all in their head, and that's why it can cost so much.

Every point in this flaw increases the cost to use a power by a multiple of 1. If only one point is put into this flaw, than the power will cost normal amount +1. If two points are placed in this weakness than the Nova must expend normal QP cost times two (X2)...And so on. The Nova may put no-more than 30 points into this flaw unless the ST allows for it. 30 points may be considered by most as being far and away the greatest flaw for return out of all other weaknesses, and become very unbalancing, but remember, since most novas only start out with around 30-QP initially, just one use of a power at this extensive cost can wipe out All of the novas QP, quite possibly putting them completely out of commission for hours.

Note:

1) For the sake of gauging a Nodes Maximum QP expendature limit for use with this weakness, do not use the adjusted QP costs (such as those caused by a reduction in Level or this flaw). Instead The Nova uses the powers original level for determining Maximum allowable QP expendable per turn.

2) This weakness may be applied to powers and enhancements that do not normaly have an associated QP cost (such as Invulnerability or extra Health levels) with a duration of either concentration or maintenance, choosen when this weakness if first gained. This adjusts the final total for the weakness by +2 to a minimum of 3, and maximum of 32.

3) This weakness may drop a powers level by no more than three (Or 15 points of weakness) on it's own.

RE: Increased Quantum Cost

At 30 points you require more node than is possible to have. I also dislike the idea of a 30 point flaw because that implies 30 points of advantages... which might put something like Plank Scaling within reach.

RE: Activation Difficulty

Like it... but if you have more than one power with this weakness you should need to check *each* of them. As written you could turn on one and not need to worry about the others.

RE: Powered by Will

Why doesn't a level 2 power require more than a level 1?

Wow... I didn't expect to get a Big Gun like Courier to respond...Cool Niffty smile

RE-RE: Increased Quantum Cost

Thank you for seeing that about the Nodes QP spending limitations. Based on this, would an emendation be to add That a power with this weakness can exceed that given spending cap? What I like about this weakness is that it can create a bit of a one shot character. Still, if not, would 10 be a good maximum cap?

RE-RE: Activation Difficulty

Thank you fer noticing this glitch, it will be fixed ASAP.

RE-RE: Powered by Will

I felt that 1TWP for a level 2 power was high enuff and instead of increasing it further, I just doubled the duration of a level 1 power instead. But now looking at it, I've realized that I'm already playing a Nova who, to begin with, pays a number of WP points equal to the level of the power. I will now fix this to fit better.

However, I'm woundering now if this may increase the Weakness value? Should both "Dual Activation Costs" and "Powered By Will" nudge up further, or stay the same.

Thank you again for your responce.

Originally Posted By: El'Jinn Uu

Thank you for seeing that about the Nodes QP spending limitations. Based on this, would an emendation be to add That a power with this weakness can exceed that given spending cap? What I like about this weakness is that it can create a bit of a one shot character. Still, if not, would 10 be a good maximum cap?

It's no more then double the cost. A Level 1 power doubled costs 2QP. A Level 2 power doubled costs 4QP and a Level 3 power costs 6QP to activate.

The points you get reflect the increase in cost making this a 1, 2, or 3 point weakness.

In my opinion the most a weakness should grant is 5 points. Linking is the exception because it two categories added together for a total value.

15 points? Jesus.

Quote:
I felt that 1TWP for a level 2 power was high enuff and instead of increasing it further, I just doubled the duration of a level 1 power instead. But now looking at it, I've realized that I'm already playing a Nova who, to begin with, pays a number of WP points equal to the level of the power. I will now fix this to fit better.
However, I'm woundering now if this may increase the Weakness value? Should both "Dual Activation Costs" and "Powered By Will" nudge up further, or stay the same.

Again, the same issue here. Each willpower point you spend should grant 1 weakness point. Alternatively you could raise it to 2 weakness points per willpower point spent since willpower is a far lower pool to draw from.

Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted By: Revenant

It's no more then double the cost. A Level 1 power doubled costs 2QP. A Level 2 power doubled costs 4QP and a Level 3 power costs 6QP to activate.

The points you get reflect the increase in cost making this a 1, 2, or 3 point weakness.

In my opinion the most a weakness should grant is 5 points. Linking is the exception because it two categories added together for a total value.

15 points?
Not quite sure what you mean. What's the 15 points mean? And I don't know what you mean by "It's no more then double the cost". What's no more than doubled.
I can't coment on this because I'm not sure what your refering to.

But as to a weakness never being more than 5 points (With your affore mentioned exception of course) It matters little as you can have various combinations of weaknesses that can easily add upto more than 5, 10, or even twenty points. So If one weakness adds upto 10, or you combine several for the same effect, in the end it all amounts to the same effect in the end, it's just you end up with a Very QP costly power power too use.

Originally Posted By: Revenant

Again, the same issue here. Each willpower point you spend should grant 1 weakness point. Alternatively you could raise it to 2 weakness points per willpower point spent since willpower is a far lower pool to draw from.

Just my thoughts.
Well, a friend of mine told me to make it no higher than a 2 and 3 point weakness just because I guess he liked it that way. I had several powers that had this weakness because I wanted it as a theme for my character. By just using his powers drove him power mad once his will was depleted (after three uses of a power or less) he would drop into a delusional frenzy state. This weakness is more for theme style than just power. So I felt a 3 point was more than enuff. (Considering my character only had 3 will to start).

But I can understand you point about the flaw points matching the cost in Temp Will power, which makes sence. It seems highly unfare that a Players Nova should have to spend 3 of more will to power an ability but receives the same amount of weakness points as the player whos power only uses 1 will. Originaly the cost was a flat 1 WP to activate a power for 3 weakness points, regardless of the level of the power.

But some felt this was to harsh to harsh, as now stronger players paid the same amount as lesser powers.

I'll have to think on your concept of a 1:1 WP to weakness set up.
Thank you fer yer advise Rev.

Archived