Adventure! RPG: Dark Tidings - Rules

jameson (ST)

Superscience

- Superscience can be created by true science or as a result of paranormal/magical energies being imbued into the device or substance in question. Advancements brought about by pure science are referred to as Super Science while Advancements created by magic and ALL Innovations are Enchanted items and require Occult Ability Mastery to create (but do not require any other ability Mastery)

- Gadgets enchanted with a Knack will have a number of Inspiration equal to its rating+2 and can regenerate 1 point per every three hours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Occult Skill

Doug looked at the Wizard’s nose and did his best not to glance at the man’s eyes at all, something about “windows to the soul” was all Doug knew but that was more than enough to keep him from meeting the other’s stare.

- Science can only tell a person so much, as a discipline it is unable to deal with the supernatural. Psychic powers, divine abilities, vampires and werewolves are all phenomenon that science cannot explain. A strong knowledge of the occult will allow a character to identify these phenomenons and determine their origins, weaknesses, strengths, and natures.

* Poor: You are aware that magic and the supernatural exist but your knowledge is limited.

** Average: Can tell a werewolf from a vampire and a psychic from a witch.

*** Good: You can tell the difference between species of vampires on site and can identify well-known enchantments and magical items.

**** Exceptional: You are well versed in the subtleties of the supernatural world and can anticipate major magical events.

***** Superb: Wizards come to you for information.

Specialties: Daemons, Psychic phenomenon, Were-wolves, Ghosts, Vampires, Divine powers, enchanted items.

Sensing other Inspired

Although true Telluric Resonance sense is the perview of the mesmerists and some stalwarts all Insprired have some ability to sense other inspired around them. Inspired may sense other LIKE Inspired within their Inspiration x2 feet of them. They can also sense Inspired of a different type within half that range.

The exception to this rule are Stalwarts who can only sense other stalwarts of the same type at the higher range. This means that a Divine Inspired may sense other Divinely Inspired wihin the full [insp x2] Feet but sensing Infernal/Daemonic Inspired is at half the usual range.

Example: Richard, a Divine Stalwart with Inspiration 4, enters a bar looking for a potential succubus. He scans around but senses nothing. Mooving through the room he moves to within 4 feet of the succubus and suddenly he is aware of the infernal Stalwart!

This requires a full round of concentration and no other action (aside from walking) may be taken in that round.

Spending a Willpower will automatically engage this power as there will never be a situation where more than 1 success is needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doing Research

Any PC can do research so long as they can either read the languages in the books they are using or speak the language of the contacts they use. Research in it pure form uses the Investigation skill cross matched to intelligence. Bonuses will be applied for appropriate contacts, allies, skills (rating 3+), and the like. A roll will be made for each increment of time spent researching with a difficulty equal to the Cipher rating of the target person or information.

When a PC wants to research something please tell me (either via, PM, table talk post, or preferably an OOC note in your post). Tell me how long (in hours or days as appropriate) you will research the target and what, if any, special contacts you feel you can apply to the task and wish to do so with. Remember that contacts will want something in return and that allies will likely ask for a favor in return someday. Lastly players may spend an inspiration to add their Reflective Facet Score to the effort as automatic Successes.

Additional Researchers

Having people to run and get books, pre-read materials, and the like can often help significantly when researching. For each additional person you may add 1 Die to your pool, a further dice can be added if that person has Investigation 3+ and/or Intelligence 3+. You can benefit from a maximum number of research assistants equal to your Reflective Facet +1 (minimum 1 even if you have a Reflective score of 0)

I'll decide what the interval is and the Cipher rating and make the required rolls. Successes will be cumulative toward the total information gathered. Information will be sent to the player or players via PM (most of the time) or in a direct post.

Abandonment and Rolls

Should a PC stop posting, after 7 days they will fade into the background and I will assume they add no meaningfull skill use or other mechanical benifit; if, after 30 days of inactivity, a player continues to be inactive, I'll write them out of the game IN MY OWN WAY. All Abandoned PCs will be come ST owned meatpuppets NPCs. If you know you will be out for more than a couple of days let all of us know in Table Talk, this will offset the timetables above according to when you expect to return.

Should a character die, the player may remake another at 90% of earned xp. This is to encourage "smart play." Not metagaming, but the character who checks doors before opening them, and knows when to flee from Satan is engaging in smart play. Should someone decide that they want to reitre their character and remake it, they can remake it at 80% exp. This may not be an issue, but it has happened before.

Rolling often gets in the way of ROLE-playing, notice the spelling there? As such I will perform all relevant rolls for PCs, or as I see fit, simply declare Success or Failure in order to best suit the story. When a PC needs to engage a skill please make an OOC note at the end of your post with whatever roll or rolls are needed indicating the base dice. I will modifiy as needed and then update accordingly. In order to encourage interesting and descriptive posts I will also apply a rule similar to the "stunt" rule from Exalted that rewards players for a nice description of their action and penalize those who write, "I translate the runes using Lingistics." This will be minor at most 2 dice added or removed and will not apply to all posts only those that are truly great or plain old lazy. This goes especially for combat where description of action can make or break the combat being interesting or just an exercise in boredom.

All, some of you are more familiar with the rules than others are and there is one thing that is especially unique to Adventure! and that is Dramatic Editing. I asked Lee to scan the appropriate pages from the book and he is kindly hosting them here:

http://www.wikiphilia.net/kirby1024/dramaticediting.pdf

I suggest you read up, this can be a powerful tool in the right hands, though it is by no means a mandatory mechanic.

New Knacks:

Polyglot Non Pareil - Heroic Knack

"Of course I knew Icelandic - I've just never needed to use it before..."

You just seem to have a language in your repertoire for every occaision. Whether it's an absurdly learned history of language-learning, or a refined ability to learn new languages, you just seem to be able to show off a new language at every turn.

System: In addition to any other languages the character knows, the character has one "wildcard" spoken language. Once per story, the player may choose what language this "wildcard" language represents; the Language chosen must be one the PC has heard before. Once chosen, it cannot be changed until the next story. This wildcard dot does not stack with Jack of All Tongues nor does it confer literacy in the chosen language.

Prerequisite: The character must have at least Intelligence 3 and Linguistics 3 in order to be a Polyglot Non Pareil.

Spending Experience:

Spending experience can only done during the window set between Chapters (I'll give you a specific date). Experience can only raise attributes and skills that have been used in previous chapters OR that you expressly tell me you are devoting downtime to practicing (i.e. maybe Arts doesn't come up in game enough to use it regularly).

For Attributes assume that it takes in game time equal to roughly 1 week per experience spent on the upgrade to raise an Attribute. If you want to raise a stat from 2 to 3 it'll take 10 weeks in game ... better get started at the gym or library now ...

For Skills assume that the skill in question merely needs to have been utilized to raise it to any dot level of 4 or lower. To raise to 5 or 6 (mastery) you need to discuss with me ahead of time to determine when you can do that.

Raising Willpower and Inspiration requires sufficient use of those or (preferably) significant character development (either in game or in fiction) and ST approval.

New Knacks will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Archived