Aberrant: The Long March - Interlude Chapter 9: Passing the mantle

Joani

(ooc: this happens just before Chapter 9 starts)

The crisis had an cathartic effect on her. Helping the people of her beloved Earth and straining herself to her limits seemed to give her more strength and power in return. Gabriel and Kara did their best to help wherever they could and Joani was extremely proud of them both. She could show them how much she cared for them and her actions spoke more than words could ever amount to.

Joani felt a change within her. It was something that grew constantly over the past weeks. She had pushed herself to yet unknown limits and her body kept responding to the tasks adapting accordingly. She felt stronger and faster, more attuned to herself. It was less a burden and more something she had accepted and she knew her time has come to go. Although she had never been part of the initial cabal she felt strongly connected and dedicated to it. The time to move on had come though and she had to make sure that the gap she left would be filled by someone who was just as dedicated as she was – her daughter Kara.

Being her firstborn Joani felt a stronger connection to Kara which didn’t mean she loved Gabriel less – it was just different and very hard to explain. She had called Kara to meet her at their house in St. Tropez – the time for private meetings had become scarce over the last years and she was looking forward to talk to her daughter. Joani held a small package in her hands. Inside was a new costume of hers, the one that Earths people had become to recognize by just having a glimpse at it. The package was folded showing the S-Shield on top and Joani carefully followed the outlines of the diamond shaped frame with her fingers that surrounded the “S”.

She could hear her daughter landing smoothly on the patio and entering the house. “Mom, I’m home.”, Kara said in a low voice, knowing that her mother would hear her even if she was on the other side of the planet. Joani closed her eyes savouring the moment – home – how much did that word mean to her.

Kara entered the living room where she saw her mother standing with her back to her. Even though it was dark she could tell that her mother was wearing a different costume… the design and colors had changed and she wondered for a moment if it was really her mother who she saw. Joani turned around to face her daughter wiping away any doubt about her appearance. Her new costume was black and closed the bare mid-riff gap between her chest and her skirt she used to wear. What used to be red outline against a yellow background was replaced by silver and black, giving her a much darker and somewhat more impressive appearance. Somehow the tag “Supergirl” didn’t fit that well anymore.

Kara’s eyes fell to the package her mother was holding and recognized the emblem immediately. She looked up to her mother with her mouth half opened her eyes speaking for herself.

“I think its about time to pass the mantle, Kara.”, Joani gave her daughter the package and smiled warmly to her. “And there is something very important I need to tell you… but first we have to make sure no one listens.”

Joani mentally contacted Lorean and instantly mother and daughter were teleported on board the ship in Joani’s private quarters. Kara was still a bit confused by the sudden change of location but she trusted her mother.

“Mom… I can’t…”, she looked at the package and back at her mother. “It’ll be alright, Kara. Trust me. I will leave this Earth, Kara, and I don’t know how long my journey will take. All I can tell you is that we are embarking on a quest to find a cure for Taint and prevent other catastrophes. Catastrophes much worse than what happened here. When I decided to go public with my powers and help Earths denizens with all my dedication I wasn’t alone. I’ve met people whom I call more than friends today. Without them all this, you and your brother… would’ve never happened. I owe them who I am and what I got although they would never hold me accountable for it. We’ve established a peaceful and striving society full of tolerance and good will. Something we all have worked very hard for.”, Joani was taking a short break before she continued.

“Mom… I know that… but I don’t understand what…”, Kara said but Joani interrupted her daughter. “What I’m trying to tell you is, that these friends are not from this Earth… they are Travellers from a different Earth, a different time where our kind and the baselines will fight a terrible war. They are convinced that we can change that fate and our home - what we established here is the perfect proof for that. I love you with all my heart, Kara. Giving birth to you and Gabriel is the best thing I have ever done in my life and I consider this the golden times of our lives.”, Joani was close to tears but she continued nonetheless, “But the time to move on has come and I always dreaded this day but I know they need me, as much as they need your father. Gabriel and you – you are old enough to carry on without us and I ask you to be Earth’s Supergirl in my stead.”

Kara’s expression turned from utter disbelieve to acceptance. Somehow she knew her mother was right and deep inside of her she half expected that this day would come. The only thing she wasn’t prepared to hear was that her mother would actually leave to a different time – a whole different universe. That went a bit farther than she had imagined. Kara took the package looking at it for a short moment.

“I won’t fail you, Mom… and I love you.”, as soon as she had said that she embraced her mother and they both held each other for awhile committing that moment to their memories forever.

(ooc: this happens just before Chapter 9 starts)

The crisis had an cathartic effect on her. Helping the people of her beloved Earth and straining herself to her limits seemed to give her more strength and power in return. Gabriel and Kara did their best to help wherever they could and Joani was extremely proud of them both. She could show them how much she cared for them and her actions spoke more than words could ever amount to.

Joani felt a change within her. It was something that grew constantly over the past weeks. She had pushed herself to yet unknown limits and her body kept responding to the tasks adapting accordingly. She felt stronger and faster, more attuned to herself. It was less a burden and more something she had accepted and she knew her time has come to go. Although she had never been part of the initial cabal she felt strongly connected and dedicated to it. The time to move on had come though and she had to make sure that the gap she left would be filled by someone who was just as dedicated as she was – her daughter Kara.

Being her firstborn Joani felt a stronger connection to Kara which didn’t mean she loved Gabriel less – it was just different and very hard to explain. She had called Kara to meet her at their house in St. Tropez – the time for private meetings had become scarce over the last years and she was looking forward to talk to her daughter. Joani held a small package in her hands. Inside was a new costume of hers, the one that Earths people had become to recognize by just having a glimpse at it. The package was folded showing the S-Shield on top and Joani carefully followed the outlines of the diamond shaped frame with her fingers that surrounded the “S”.

She could hear her daughter landing smoothly on the patio and entering the house. “Mom, I’m home.”, Kara said in a low voice, knowing that her mother would hear her even if she was on the other side of the planet. Joani closed her eyes savouring the moment – home – how much did that word mean to her.

Kara entered the living room where she saw her mother standing with her back to her. Even though it was dark she could tell that her mother was wearing a different costume… the design and colors had changed and she wondered for a moment if it was really her mother who she saw. Joani turned around to face her daughter wiping away any doubt about her appearance. Her new costume was black and closed the bare mid-riff gap between her chest and her skirt she used to wear. What used to be red outline against a yellow background was replaced by silver and black, giving her a much darker and somewhat more impressive appearance. Somehow the tag “Supergirl” didn’t fit that well anymore.

Kara’s eyes fell to the package her mother was holding and recognized the emblem immediately. She looked up to her mother with her mouth half opened her eyes speaking for herself.

“I think its about time to pass the mantle, Kara.”, Joani gave her daughter the package and smiled warmly to her. “And there is something very important I need to tell you… but first we have to make sure no one listens.”

Joani mentally contacted Lorean and instantly mother and daughter were teleported on board the ship in Joani’s private quarters. Kara was still a bit confused by the sudden change of location but she trusted her mother.

“Mom… I can’t…”, she looked at the package and back at her mother. “It’ll be alright, Kara. Trust me. I will leave this Earth, Kara, and I don’t know how long my journey will take. All I can tell you is that we are embarking on a quest to find a cure for Taint and prevent other catastrophes. Catastrophes much worse than what happened here. When I decided to go public with my powers and help Earths denizens with all my dedication I wasn’t alone. I’ve met people whom I call more than friends today. Without them all this, you and your brother… would’ve never happened. I owe them who I am and what I got although they would never hold me accountable for it. We’ve established a peaceful and striving society full of tolerance and good will. Something we all have worked very hard for.”, Joani was taking a short break before she continued.

“Mom… I know that… but I don’t understand what…”, Kara said but Joani interrupted her daughter. “What I’m trying to tell you is, that these friends are not from this Earth… they are Travellers from a different Earth, a different time where our kind and the baselines will fight a terrible war. They are convinced that we can change that fate and our home - what we established here is the perfect proof for that. I love you with all my heart, Kara. Giving birth to you and Gabriel is the best thing I have ever done in my life and I consider this the golden times of our lives.”, Joani was close to tears but she continued nonetheless, “But the time to move on has come and I always dreaded this day but I know they need me, as much as they need your father. Gabriel and you – you are old enough to carry on without us and I ask you to be Earth’s Supergirl in my stead.”

Kara’s expression turned from utter disbelieve to acceptance. Somehow she knew her mother was right and deep inside of her she half expected that this day would come. The only thing she wasn’t prepared to hear was that her mother would actually leave to a different time – a whole different universe. That went a bit farther than she had imagined. Kara took the package looking at it for a short moment.

“I won’t fail you, Mom… and I love you.”, as soon as she had said that she embraced her mother and they both held each other for awhile committing that moment to their memories forever.

Archived