Jedi

March 22, 1998 London

Colin Chatham the Third, grumbled as he read the words on the computer screen. That bastard Sith just started another flamewar on the Star Wars forums. Colin, or Jedi as he was known on the forums, had posted an innocent enough statement that Yoda was the most powerful Jedi ever and that just because he was small and old didn't mean he couldn't wield a lightsaber. Just to be contrary and becasue he was an asshole, Sith responded saying that Palpatine would kick yoda's butt in a fight. Like the Emperor wasn't old and infirm himself, of course it would be a tough fight, but the good side of the force would always win in the end, so by definition the Emperor would lose. Sith was just too dense to get it, and the whole thing had become personal... again.

Jedi and Sith had been the biggest rivals and the biggest geeks on the forums since the very beginning. They were the first two to register when the forums were created as was obvious by their awesome forum names, but that's where the similarity stopped as far as Jedi was concerned. As if they really were on opposite sides of the Force they constantly had verbal skirmishes. This one was the worst though because it had become personal, but it would all end tomorrow. They were both going to be at the 21st annual Star Wars con and had agreed to meet face to face at the con. A small crowd would be there to witness how Sith got put in his place since many of the boards regular posters would be in attendance. Colin was sure they would be impressed. He would be dressed in his Jedi robes and he was even going to be wearing his replica lightsaber. It was a custom made one of a kind and it even worked as a laser pointer with switchable beams, Red, Green and Blue. He'd had it made as his 25th birthday present when his father had named him an Executive board member of Chatham Created Gems. Made of titanium and using exquisite Chatham lab created Rubies, Emeralds and Sapphires as the focusing stones for the laser beams it had cost him just over $10,000 pounds. More importantly than the cost was the fact that two years ago he'd met Luke Skywalker himself at the 19th annual SW con and Luke (Mark Hamil) had been really impressed with it and had even signed it inside the battery cap.

There was no way Sith could compete with that. He was going down! Colin went to sleep with righteous confidence in his heart.

March 22, 1998 London

Colin Chatham the Third, grumbled as he read the words on the computer screen. That bastard Sith just started another flamewar on the Star Wars forums. Colin, or Jedi as he was known on the forums, had posted an innocent enough statement that Yoda was the most powerful Jedi ever and that just because he was small and old didn't mean he couldn't wield a lightsaber. Just to be contrary and becasue he was an asshole, Sith responded saying that Palpatine would kick yoda's butt in a fight. Like the Emperor wasn't old and infirm himself, of course it would be a tough fight, but the good side of the force would always win in the end, so by definition the Emperor would lose. Sith was just too dense to get it, and the whole thing had become personal... again.

Jedi and Sith had been the biggest rivals and the biggest geeks on the forums since the very beginning. They were the first two to register when the forums were created as was obvious by their awesome forum names, but that's where the similarity stopped as far as Jedi was concerned. As if they really were on opposite sides of the Force they constantly had verbal skirmishes. This one was the worst though because it had become personal, but it would all end tomorrow. They were both going to be at the 21st annual Star Wars con and had agreed to meet face to face at the con. A small crowd would be there to witness how Sith got put in his place since many of the boards regular posters would be in attendance. Colin was sure they would be impressed. He would be dressed in his Jedi robes and he was even going to be wearing his replica lightsaber. It was a custom made one of a kind and it even worked as a laser pointer with switchable beams, Red, Green and Blue. He'd had it made as his 25th birthday present when his father had named him an Executive board member of Chatham Created Gems. Made of titanium and using exquisite Chatham lab created Rubies, Emeralds and Sapphires as the focusing stones for the laser beams it had cost him just over $10,000 pounds. More importantly than the cost was the fact that two years ago he'd met Luke Skywalker himself at the 19th annual SW con and Luke (Mark Hamil) had been really impressed with it and had even signed it inside the battery cap.

There was no way Sith could compete with that. He was going down! Colin went to sleep with righteous confidence in his heart.

Meanwhile, in Dublin, a figure sits in the deep shadows in the corner of a pub. His mate sits next to him and they watch the lasses. The mate turns to the shadowy figure.

"It's done, did I tell you? I posted the page up this afternoon."

"Excellent. All is going according to plan. Did you- oh, look at the knockers on her..."

They observe what are admittedly spectacular knockers for a bit.

"Did you call your friend in London? Is it ok if we doss on her couch for the weekend?"

"Oh, yah. Margaret says she doesn't care, as long as we bring Guiness."

"Perfect. A dark lager for a dark purpose." The figure leaned forward, the bottom half of his face showing in the light for a moment. "And will she play her part, did she say?"

"Oh, aye, she thinks it a right lark. No worries, there."

"Good work, me mate. Soon that fool Jedi will learn the power of the dark si- my lord look at her bum, you could bounce a penny or two off that one, I wager"

They contemplate the bum in question, a perfect specimen to be sure.

"I don't understand, though. Why the fake website? Did Lucas actually say that Palpatine would duel Yoda and win in the first trilogy."

"It doesn't matter, does it, my apprentice? All that matters is whether enough people believe it when they read it. Don't worry too much about the big picture. It has been a long time coming, but soon, Jedi will feel the Revenge of the Sith. He'll never show his face at another con, you can be sure of that." The mouth beneath the shadow grinned evilly. He settled back into the darkness, and waved his hand in front of his friend.

"Now, buy another round of pints"

"Look, I told you, that is only supposed to work on the weak minded, Sean."

"Just buy another bloody round, will you?"

Meanwhile, in Dublin, a figure sits in the deep shadows in the corner of a pub. His mate sits next to him and they watch the lasses. The mate turns to the shadowy figure.

"It's done, did I tell you? I posted the page up this afternoon."

"Excellent. All is going according to plan. Did you- oh, look at the knockers on her..."

They observe what are admittedly spectacular knockers for a bit.

"Did you call your friend in London? Is it ok if we doss on her couch for the weekend?"

"Oh, yah. Margaret says she doesn't care, as long as we bring Guiness."

"Perfect. A dark lager for a dark purpose." The figure leaned forward, the bottom half of his face showing in the light for a moment. "And will she play her part, did she say?"

"Oh, aye, she thinks it a right lark. No worries, there."

"Good work, me mate. Soon that fool Jedi will learn the power of the dark si- my lord look at her bum, you could bounce a penny or two off that one, I wager"

They contemplate the bum in question, a perfect specimen to be sure.

"I don't understand, though. Why the fake website? Did Lucas actually say that Palpatine would duel Yoda and win in the first trilogy."

"It doesn't matter, does it, my apprentice? All that matters is whether enough people believe it when they read it. Don't worry too much about the big picture. It has been a long time coming, but soon, Jedi will feel the Revenge of the Sith. He'll never show his face at another con, you can be sure of that." The mouth beneath the shadow grinned evilly. He settled back into the darkness, and waved his hand in front of his friend.

"Now, buy another round of pints"

"Look, I told you, that is only supposed to work on the weak minded, Sean."

"Just buy another bloody round, will you?"

Colin awoke rested and eager. This was going to be his day, he'd made sure a few of the lads from the forums would be at the con, even going so far as paying for their tickets. They were good solid light-siders and would never stand for hearing anything about Sith winning over Jedi. After a quick shower he donned his custom tailored Jedi robes and last and certainly not least he lovingly attached his prized Lightsaber to his belt. Feeling fully girded for battle he left the flat and headed for the convention.

This year's convention was going to be a big one. 21st Annual. It was being sponsored this year by 21st Century Fox, and several of the original cast would be there. He really hoped Lucas himself would, he desperately wanted to impress him with the Lightsaber, not to mention wanting his autograph! The taxi dropped him at the door and he was happy to see that he was one of the earliest to arrive, the doors wouldn't even open for another 45 minutes. Standing around would be a drag, but it was worth it to be the first through the doors and have a chance to scout all the booths before they were picked over too much. Colin also had a VIP pass that would give him first access to all the panel events and autograph signings and such. When he finally got inside took a minute to breath deeply of the scent of old comics and geektosterone, then rushed around the hall checking out all the vendors to see if they had any new merchandise that he needed for his collection.

Noon came and went and by the time Colin actually sat down to eat he had made several purchases and acquired a couple signed pictures, one from C3P0, and one from Lando Calrissian. They were both nice and complimented him on his robes and lightsaber but he hadn't been able to speak with anyone else yet. Princess Leia wasn't scheduled till late in the afternoon and Han Solo wasn't going to be attending, he was too big of a star now to do conventions, even ones as big as this. Maybe it was the late meal he was eating, or perhaps it was the lack of ego stroking over his prized toy, but he was feeling a bit down. Not the best feeling to have when going into battle.

That's when he realized the time. Stuffing a last bite of pizza in his mouth messily, he rushed over to the designated meeting spot. When he arrived he knew it was already too late. Sith was there regaling the crowd with some witty story or something. Colin had lost the advantage of getting the crowd on his side. He sighed and tossed the soda in a trash can and stepped forward. "Stand aside villian! I've come to meet you on the field of battle, and I'll not allow you to sway these citizens with your insidious sorcery!" Colin was proud of that, he'd come up with it on the spot. Score one for the good guys. He puffed out his chest and put a hand to his Lightsaber striking a pose that was marred by the pizza sauce on his cheek.

Colin awoke rested and eager. This was going to be his day, he'd made sure a few of the lads from the forums would be at the con, even going so far as paying for their tickets. They were good solid light-siders and would never stand for hearing anything about Sith winning over Jedi. After a quick shower he donned his custom tailored Jedi robes and last and certainly not least he lovingly attached his prized Lightsaber to his belt. Feeling fully girded for battle he left the flat and headed for the convention.

This year's convention was going to be a big one. 21st Annual. It was being sponsored this year by 21st Century Fox, and several of the original cast would be there. He really hoped Lucas himself would, he desperately wanted to impress him with the Lightsaber, not to mention wanting his autograph! The taxi dropped him at the door and he was happy to see that he was one of the earliest to arrive, the doors wouldn't even open for another 45 minutes. Standing around would be a drag, but it was worth it to be the first through the doors and have a chance to scout all the booths before they were picked over too much. Colin also had a VIP pass that would give him first access to all the panel events and autograph signings and such. When he finally got inside took a minute to breath deeply of the scent of old comics and geektosterone, then rushed around the hall checking out all the vendors to see if they had any new merchandise that he needed for his collection.

Noon came and went and by the time Colin actually sat down to eat he had made several purchases and acquired a couple signed pictures, one from C3P0, and one from Lando Calrissian. They were both nice and complimented him on his robes and lightsaber but he hadn't been able to speak with anyone else yet. Princess Leia wasn't scheduled till late in the afternoon and Han Solo wasn't going to be attending, he was too big of a star now to do conventions, even ones as big as this. Maybe it was the late meal he was eating, or perhaps it was the lack of ego stroking over his prized toy, but he was feeling a bit down. Not the best feeling to have when going into battle.

That's when he realized the time. Stuffing a last bite of pizza in his mouth messily, he rushed over to the designated meeting spot. When he arrived he knew it was already too late. Sith was there regaling the crowd with some witty story or something. Colin had lost the advantage of getting the crowd on his side. He sighed and tossed the soda in a trash can and stepped forward. "Stand aside villian! I've come to meet you on the field of battle, and I'll not allow you to sway these citizens with your insidious sorcery!" Colin was proud of that, he'd come up with it on the spot. Score one for the good guys. He puffed out his chest and put a hand to his Lightsaber striking a pose that was marred by the pizza sauce on his cheek.

Sith was a vaguely attractive young man in his late twenties. He broke off in mid sentance, his mouth agape. He seemed to give the impression that Colin was inexpressedly rude for interrupting his story.

A few in the crowd murmured appreciation for Colin's Jedi outfit, and Sith glanced around in irritation before confronting Colin again. He leaned forward to look closer, then tittered behind his hand.

"Er, you have a bit of 'insidious sorcery' on your cheek there, mate," he offered genially.

Sith was a vaguely attractive young man in his late twenties. He broke off in mid sentance, his mouth agape. He seemed to give the impression that Colin was inexpressedly rude for interrupting his story.

A few in the crowd murmured appreciation for Colin's Jedi outfit, and Sith glanced around in irritation before confronting Colin again. He leaned forward to look closer, then tittered behind his hand.

"Er, you have a bit of 'insidious sorcery' on your cheek there, mate," he offered genially.

He frowned then remembered the pizza and wiped his cheek with the inside of his sleeve. Damn it! I'm gonna have to get this dry cleaned now. Colin wasn't that bad looking himself, not as good looking as Sith perhaps, but he would be willing to bet Sith had never actually picked up a sword in his life. He on the other hand had had private fencing instruction by one of the best for several years. His father wasn't all that happy with Colins obsession but he been happy that his son was getting some exercise. That had lead to martial arts training and he'd been even more pleased. Colin Chatham Junior, Jedi's father, had been just a little afraid his only child would turn out gay. He was still disappointed that his son hadn't really had much luck with the ladies, but at least he was man enough to know how to fight well with either hand or blade.

Unfortunately for Colin, this particular battle was with words and Sith had already scored a hit. So be it, time to strike back. "I was speaking with Luke Skywalker last year and he really liked my Lightsaber." The potential for misconstruing that comment was lost on Colin as he quickly unclipped the saber from his belt and hit the power button with it aiming down at the ground at his side. The green beam was brilliant and easily seen as it glowed through the dust particles in the air, and by pointing at the ground it wasn't quite so obvious that the 'blade' was really just a laser pointer and would continue to the ceiling if the faced it up. "Shame we don't have real lightsabers, or we could settle the discussion we were having online. Yoda. Would. Win!"

He frowned then remembered the pizza and wiped his cheek with the inside of his sleeve. Damn it! I'm gonna have to get this dry cleaned now. Colin wasn't that bad looking himself, not as good looking as Sith perhaps, but he would be willing to bet Sith had never actually picked up a sword in his life. He on the other hand had had private fencing instruction by one of the best for several years. His father wasn't all that happy with Colins obsession but he been happy that his son was getting some exercise. That had lead to martial arts training and he'd been even more pleased. Colin Chatham Junior, Jedi's father, had been just a little afraid his only child would turn out gay. He was still disappointed that his son hadn't really had much luck with the ladies, but at least he was man enough to know how to fight well with either hand or blade.

Unfortunately for Colin, this particular battle was with words and Sith had already scored a hit. So be it, time to strike back. "I was speaking with Luke Skywalker last year and he really liked my Lightsaber." The potential for misconstruing that comment was lost on Colin as he quickly unclipped the saber from his belt and hit the power button with it aiming down at the ground at his side. The green beam was brilliant and easily seen as it glowed through the dust particles in the air, and by pointing at the ground it wasn't quite so obvious that the 'blade' was really just a laser pointer and would continue to the ceiling if the faced it up. "Shame we don't have real lightsabers, or we could settle the discussion we were having online. Yoda. Would. Win!"

A few scattered cheers met that declaration. Sith looked puzzled.

"Are you still going on about that? But, it's settled. Didn't you read my post this morning? There's a link that answers that question. Didn't read it? Ah. Well, it seems that a close friend of Lucas's has started a spoiler site, SuperShadow.com. You should check it out, as it has quotes from Lucas on whether Yoda would in fact win."

Murmurs of appreciation from the crowd. A pretty, if plump, Twi'lek dancer stepped forward.

"Oh yeah, I read that too! Lucas said that in one of the prequels, Yoda would duel Palpatine, and obviously if Evil was to reign triumphant in the original trilogy, then Yoda would have to lose." She nodded once, decisively.

Sith smiled condescendingly.

"You see, Jedi? Your little green pal is great, trained Obi-Wan, yadda yadda... but he's just not in the same class as Palpatine. Sorry, mate."

A few scattered cheers met that declaration. Sith looked puzzled.

"Are you still going on about that? But, it's settled. Didn't you read my post this morning? There's a link that answers that question. Didn't read it? Ah. Well, it seems that a close friend of Lucas's has started a spoiler site, SuperShadow.com. You should check it out, as it has quotes from Lucas on whether Yoda would in fact win."

Murmurs of appreciation from the crowd. A pretty, if plump, Twi'lek dancer stepped forward.

"Oh yeah, I read that too! Lucas said that in one of the prequels, Yoda would duel Palpatine, and obviously if Evil was to reign triumphant in the original trilogy, then Yoda would have to lose." She nodded once, decisively.

Sith smiled condescendingly.

"You see, Jedi? Your little green pal is great, trained Obi-Wan, yadda yadda... but he's just not in the same class as Palpatine. Sorry, mate."

Colin sputtered for a moment in shock at this, but then regained his composure as a thought occurred to him. "Well, there are two problems with your argument, first it was FRIEND of Lucas saying it not George Lucas himself. Second, if Palpatine wins in one of the prequels how is Master Yoda still alive in the Empire Strikes Back? There you see, it must be a lie!" He beamed in triumph as his logic was inescapable and so blatantly obvious that Sith couldn't possibly reply. He puffed out his chest and lifted his chin in defiance as if daring Sith to reply. In the back of his mind there was a seed of doubt though. What if Lucas really was planning to have Yoda lose a fight, surely there must be a reason. The Lucas was a visionary and understood that good always triumphs over evil.

Not quite as puffed up, he adds, "Besides Lucas based his ideas off of the works of Joseph Campbell, who wrote about mythology and archetypes and that stuff is all about good triumphing over evil. There's no way Yoda could really lose, Good has to triump over evil. In the end Palpatine is killed by Luke's father right? Yoda trained Obi Wan and Obi Wan trained Luke's father and Luke's father killed the emperor so Yoda MUST be at least three steps better than Palpatine!

Colin sputtered for a moment in shock at this, but then regained his composure as a thought occurred to him. "Well, there are two problems with your argument, first it was FRIEND of Lucas saying it not George Lucas himself. Second, if Palpatine wins in one of the prequels how is Master Yoda still alive in the Empire Strikes Back? There you see, it must be a lie!" He beamed in triumph as his logic was inescapable and so blatantly obvious that Sith couldn't possibly reply. He puffed out his chest and lifted his chin in defiance as if daring Sith to reply. In the back of his mind there was a seed of doubt though. What if Lucas really was planning to have Yoda lose a fight, surely there must be a reason. The Lucas was a visionary and understood that good always triumphs over evil.

Not quite as puffed up, he adds, "Besides Lucas based his ideas off of the works of Joseph Campbell, who wrote about mythology and archetypes and that stuff is all about good triumphing over evil. There's no way Yoda could really lose, Good has to triump over evil. In the end Palpatine is killed by Luke's father right? Yoda trained Obi Wan and Obi Wan trained Luke's father and Luke's father killed the emperor so Yoda MUST be at least three steps better than Palpatine!

There is some doubtful muttering at this. Sith's eyes narrow on Jedi.

"Listen, friend, because this is the last time I will explain it to you. Lucas said it, the friend posted it. It is unavoidable truth. As for your bon mot about Good triumphing over Evil, bleh. It does, in Return of the Jedi. Isn't that enough for you? Don't you get that before Good can win, Evil has to win first? Or are you stupid as well as blind?"

Sith's smile twisted at the last remark, and some in the crowd gasped at it's plain meanness. The Twi'leck, though, laughed cruelly.

"Yeah, he must be. Nice robes, and an awesome lightsaber, but no brain in his head, obviously!"

Sith laughed, too.

"Jedi, do you think that daddy can buy you a 'win' on this discussion? Or that your ridiculously opulent lightsaber means that you can ignore reason? You are an overindulged, pampered fool, who thinks that just because you were the first to register on the Star Wars forums that your opinion matters. Begone."

Sith waggled the fingers of both hands at Colin, a common LARP sign for 'Force Lightning'. It drew a big laugh from the crowd, even some embarrassed chuckles from Jedi's usual allies.

There is some doubtful muttering at this. Sith's eyes narrow on Jedi.

"Listen, friend, because this is the last time I will explain it to you. Lucas said it, the friend posted it. It is unavoidable truth. As for your bon mot about Good triumphing over Evil, bleh. It does, in Return of the Jedi. Isn't that enough for you? Don't you get that before Good can win, Evil has to win first? Or are you stupid as well as blind?"

Sith's smile twisted at the last remark, and some in the crowd gasped at it's plain meanness. The Twi'leck, though, laughed cruelly.

"Yeah, he must be. Nice robes, and an awesome lightsaber, but no brain in his head, obviously!"

Sith laughed, too.

"Jedi, do you think that daddy can buy you a 'win' on this discussion? Or that your ridiculously opulent lightsaber means that you can ignore reason? You are an overindulged, pampered fool, who thinks that just because you were the first to register on the Star Wars forums that your opinion matters. Begone."

Sith waggled the fingers of both hands at Colin, a common LARP sign for 'Force Lightning'. It drew a big laugh from the crowd, even some embarrassed chuckles from Jedi's usual allies.

Lucas couldn't have said it... could he? Surely not, but then there did have to be balance in the force. That firmed up his resolve just a bit, if Yoda did lose it would only be so that the Light side of the force could ultimately triumph. HA! Sith had even admitted it from his own mouth! Victory is mine!

Jedi smiled and it wasn't a particularly kind or benevolent smile. "You are envious of my light saber and that is an emotion that leads to the darkside, but then you are named Sith after all so I should expect nothing better. As for what you've said. I'll believe it when I hear it from George Lucas himself personally, or when I see it on the big screen." His grin became a bit more predatory as he got ready to pounce.

"Besides you admitted it yourself just now." In a mocking voice he repeats, 'Don't you get that before Good can win, Evil has to win first?' "Yes, I'll admit that it is possible that Yoda might suffer a minor defeat, but it is not about winning a battle it is about winning the war, and the good guys win the war in Return of the Jedi! Thus, from your own mouth you admit that you and your Sith buddies lose." Colin's face had an eager predatory smile. Sith had been such a pain in his butt for so long now, it felt good, really good, to crush his argument so throughly. Almost as good as it would feel to smash his smug arrogant face in the ring. It was a shame that the other man wasn't a fencer or martial artist, if he was Colin would make a point of fighting against him and winning in that arena as well.

Lucas couldn't have said it... could he? Surely not, but then there did have to be balance in the force. That firmed up his resolve just a bit, if Yoda did lose it would only be so that the Light side of the force could ultimately triumph. HA! Sith had even admitted it from his own mouth! Victory is mine!

Jedi smiled and it wasn't a particularly kind or benevolent smile. "You are envious of my light saber and that is an emotion that leads to the darkside, but then you are named Sith after all so I should expect nothing better. As for what you've said. I'll believe it when I hear it from George Lucas himself personally, or when I see it on the big screen." His grin became a bit more predatory as he got ready to pounce.

"Besides you admitted it yourself just now." In a mocking voice he repeats, 'Don't you get that before Good can win, Evil has to win first?' "Yes, I'll admit that it is possible that Yoda might suffer a minor defeat, but it is not about winning a battle it is about winning the war, and the good guys win the war in Return of the Jedi! Thus, from your own mouth you admit that you and your Sith buddies lose." Colin's face had an eager predatory smile. Sith had been such a pain in his butt for so long now, it felt good, really good, to crush his argument so throughly. Almost as good as it would feel to smash his smug arrogant face in the ring. It was a shame that the other man wasn't a fencer or martial artist, if he was Colin would make a point of fighting against him and winning in that arena as well.

Sith shook his head in disbelief. He started to open his mouth, then stopped and exchanged incredulous stares with the Twi'lek dancer. He looked back at Colin and spoke.

"What are you, mate, retarded? Are we having a conversation among grown people, or not? Why in fuck's name would I argue whether Palpatine or Yoda would win 'in the long run'? We've all seen the goddamn movies, right? We know who wins in the end, yeah?" Sith is stepping towards Colin with each declaration, stiffening his neck and generally looking more menacing.

"So, what the hell would it gain me to say that the Sith win, when I've already seen Return of the Fucking Jedi, and know how it ends, fucktard?" He is almost yelling at this point.

"The argument, as you very fucking well know, was whether Yoda or Palpatine would win a bleedin' duel! One duel! And I've settled it, and you won't fucking admit you bloody lost!" Sith is screaming in Colin's face now.

"Now, I'm done with this shite! You lose, suck it up, take your stupid lightsaber and BUGGER OFF!" Sith's demeanor instantly changes, and he smiles at Colin.

"Aw, are you gonna cry? You look so mad, are you really gonna boo hoo? You know, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Now, that is a path to the dark side."

The crowd is silent as Sith turns in dismissal. They know that a line has been crossed, but they don't know what to do about it. Most are waiting to see what Jedi does. Everything hangs on the edge of a dime. Then:

The Twi'lek dancer starts to laugh.

Jedi stared in disbelief at his bitterest rival. The man was upbraiding Colin for losing the argument? The bastard had tricked him into admitting that it might be possible that Yoda would lose. That fucking bastard. He was itching to beat this Sith into the dirt and he dared to yell in Colin's face? Didn't he realize that Colin could cream him in a fight, and that only the Jedi philosophy was protecting him? Then he dared say that line, the line he as a Sith had no right to be saying!

And then the Twi'lek dancer began to laugh at him.

Blood rushed in Colin's ears. They dared to laugh at him and mock him?

With a growl in his throat and hate in his heart Colin raised his left hand and let the lightnings flow instantly electrocuting the other man. Shock held everyone for a moment, until the man's charred body hit the floor. Colin stared in horror, his anger evaporated in realization of what he'd just done. Looking at the rest of the people who were just now inhaling to scream, he waved a hand in front of them, "He was electrocuted by a short from a faulty wire. You only remember us having a friendly conversation before I left." Looking around quickly, he stretched out his other hand toward a hanging electrical cable runnnig to one of the lights and it pulled free arching down to land on Sith's already dead body. He quickly scanned the crowd to see that they were all reacting appropriately and then walked away as casually as he could manage. The screams materialized after several seconds, at which point he had already rounded several sets of display tables where merchandise was being displayed. Once out of the convention hall he got into the rented car and went back to his flat and sank onto the bed putting his head in his hands. 'Great, I get the powers of a Jedi and the first thing I do is become a Sith!" He wasn't sure who to call or what to do, but right then it didn't matter because the worst headache he'd ever had in his life was making coherent thought impossible. Before he blacked out he did try to do the right thing and picked up the phone, but wasn't able to make his fingers hit the numbers.

For the next two days Colin barely made it out of bed. Joseph his personal assistant looked in on him and made sure food was brought to the room but it was never touched. The young master's head hurt far to bad for him to eat; at the mention of food Colin nearly emptied his stomach on the sheets. On the second day Joseph tried to call a doctor but Colin was lucid enough at the time to order him to drop the matter. The very put upon assistant looked doubtful as he left the room, but when he returned the next morning Colin was finally awake and more or less back to his normal self.

"Sir, I have your breakfast as usual." He sat the tray on the table and stood back to wait for orders as Colin got up and put a silk robe on. He was pretty amazed at what he saw. His boss had always stayed in shape for someone with his lack of social skills and obsessive geekiness, but this was new and impossible. It was like one of those people that he'd been seeing on TV all weekend. It had to be. This new Colin was downright buff and had a grace to his movements that had never been there before. Even his complection had completely cleared up. No more acne or the scars from the horrible acne he'd had during his teen years.

"Sir, have you seen the tele in the last three days?" Joseph went to retrieve the remove from it's place on the bedside table.

"No of course not, I've had a blinding migraine since the day of the convention." Colin looked at Joseph curiously. "Why do you ask? What has happened?" Seeing the consternation on Joseph's face, he added, "Please have a seat and tell me what I've missed. But first I'm going to dig in on this breakfast while you order about three times this amount to be delivered post haste, and order yourself something too, I have a feeling we're going to be very busy today."

Joseph nodded to himself. That clinched it, even his manner had become more pleasant. He always been a decent employer and he paid very well, but he'd never had the thoughtfulness to offer to share food before. This new Colin seemed to be less of the spoiled brat he'd been all his life. Nothing subtle about this change at all. Just like the others it seemed. He quickly ordered and took a seat.

"Well sir, that space station Galatea exploded the morning of the convention. The authorities say that it released some kind of radiation into the atmosphere which spread all around the planet. Since then a number of people have exhibited unusual changes, even supernatural abilities." He swallowed nervously. Some of those people had been dangerous from what he'd heard. "I believe you may have been effected."

Colin looked up from the first breakfast which was nearly gone already and said a touch defensively, "What makes you say that?"

The assistant thought about his response for a moment but decided on the direct approach. "Sir, if you will kindly stand up and accompany me I will endeavor to prove it." He lead his young boss to the changing room with it's tall oak trimmed three-way mirror and had him stand in front of it. "Allow me to help you off with that robe sir." Seeing the sudden wariness in Colin's face he firmed his own expression and added, "Please sir, if you will allow me I think you will see what I mean." He held the robe for his boss as the young man stood gaping at himself in the mirrors. "There, you see."

And Colin did see. Then the memories of that afternoon three days ago came back slowly and he flushed. "It really did happen." His assistant just stood by holding the robe not asking questions. Joseph had always been loyal and non-judgmental, but he wasn't about to relay the story of how he'd killed a man with dark Sith sorcery.

"Joseph, these other people, have they gained powers like those from the Star Wars movies? Telekinesis, Mind control, and the like?"

The other man thought for a moment, "No sir, not that I am aware of. It seems to be all different, some can fly, some can lift heavy objects, some seem indestructible. More like the comic books, than the sci-fi movies I'd say. But it is all real, and they aren't superheroes, they are just regular people who seemed to just spontaneously develop 'abilities'. They actually have footage of one of them in New York saving a bus full of children."

Colin needed time to think and after he showered and dressed he helped his assistant consume enough food for at least three people before he was satisfied. The breakfast passed with CNN coverage of replay after replay of various people doing extraordinary things. But one scene more than any of the others. Randal Portman the fireman saving all those children.

It was bitter. That man saved a couple dozen lives and Colin who had always prided himself on following the Jedi philosophy since he was a child had 'become' by killing another man with Sith sorcery. At first he worried that he really was a Sith, but the more he saw on the tele, the more he realized that these powers were not manifestations of the Force. No Jedi ever pulled fire out of a burning bus into himself. Nor had any Sith ever been able to fly because their parachute didn't open. Colin got Force-like powers because he was obsessed with these powers and had been all his life. That had to be it. He silently prayed to the Force that it be true. Then he caught himself and laughed.

His entire life had focused around being as much like his heroes as he could. He'd trained in martial arts and fencing and he'd meditated every day and in the end he had exactly what he wanted. A smile spread across his face and he ran back into bedroom and grabbed the Lightsaber and flicked the button. It came on with a hum and a beautiful green glow just exactly like in the movies. He spun the blade around himself slowly just like Luke had done in the movie, waving it about getting used to the feel of it. As an experiment he slowly pushed the blade through a chair and it burned right through with a slight smell of woodsmoke as the chair fell in two pieces. Reluctantly he flipped the power button again and the blade vanished. He retrieved his costume belt and put it on affixing the saber to it. That was never leaving his sight again!

When Joseph returned from taking the dishes away, he clucked his tongue at the sight of the broken chair and the Lightsaber hanging from Colin's waist. "I am afraid sir that Lightsaber's don't really go well with business suits. If you don't mind me saying that looks a bit ridiculous."

Colin grinned and pulled it from his waist and flicked it on demonstrating the blade and sending the already destroyed chair in to smaller pieces.

Joseph was duly impressed. "I retract my previous statement sir, but I believe we can do better than that in terms of fashion. May I suggest an attache case instead?"

Colin thought about it for a moment then shook his head. "An attache will do for today, but we are going to the taylor. Please pack my Jedi robes and bring the car around. I believe I will have a few more sets of Jedi robes made. Also please contact the craftsman that created my lightsaber. I intend to commission a few more, just in case anything should ever happen to this one. Oh, and have him put a rush on one of them. The rest can be delivered when he as finished them, but I want a second one in my hands by the end of the week."

Joseph nodded. This new Colin was much more decisive than the old one. He wondered if the young mans father would balk at the expenditure for another of those toys. He stopped that thought, perhaps they weren't really toys after all in Colin's hands. "How many will you be wanting total sir?"

"Nine more should do," Colin responded without looking up. He was thinking about the consequences of his new abilities and what it could mean for him. He wasn't quite sure what would come of it yet, but he would face it and make the most of it.

In the front seat of the car Joseph nearly choked at the number nine. With the rush charge they would tack on for the first one that would come to nearly one hundred thousand. That was more than his own flat had cost. Well so be it. That was the life of the rich for you, not blinking at sums that would bankrupt a regular bloke.

The rest of the week saw a flurry of activity and an endless stream of restaurants. A week out from N-day and Jedi, as Colin was now calling himself, was fully dressed in actual Jedi robes and had a pair of Lightsabers attached to his waist. These robes were custom tailored from real materials and didn't have that 'costume' feel to them. They were real clothes. People looked at him funny walking around like this, but when they got close they tended to step back and show respect. There was something about the man that said he wasn't playing around; not threatening or dangerous, but definitely not joking. For occasions when he had to attend a board meeting he had a shoulder harness devised for wearing under a suit coat, just like those American detectives wore in all their crime shows, but specially made for the Lightsabers.

At the first board meeting he attended one of the fellows had the audacity to make light of his shoulder harness when he witnessed it. Colin was attending in his father's place since he was still in California at a GIA conference. Jedi just smiled and pulled the twin saber's from beneath his coat and powered them on. He had the entire board's undivided attention as he divided a small side table into smaller parts. Without a word he powered them off and replaced the lightsabers in their harness and continued the meeting without any further interruptions and with considerably more respect than the board had ever shown him in the past.

That evening, during dinner, Joseph handed Colin a phone message from a Dr. Mazarin.

"Who is this?"

Joseph raised his eyebrows. "Really, sir, you must pay more attention to the tele. Dr's Mazarin and Rashoud are heading the research into the Novus, like yourself."

"What does he want, did he say?"

"I believe he wants to give you a physical, sir," Joseph replied, and placed a stainless steel attache on the table.

"Also, sir, I believe you will want to know about these. They arrived today." He unlatched the case and opened it. Inside, nested in molded foam, lay 4 perfect lightsabers. At a cost of £12,000 each, they had better be perfect. One is a duplicate of the one he already has, the 'Anakin Legacy' lightsaber. Another is a replica of the 'Ben Kenobi' lightsaber. The third is designed exactly like the 'Empire Skywalker' blade, and the fourth is the 'Vader' reproduction.

Joseph looked at Colin expectantly.

"I trust these are satisfactory, sir? Giovani says the other 5 should be finished by a week from Thursday."

Colin looked up at Joseph from the case. "Well I guess we'd better see Dr. Mazarin then. Bring the car around and I'll be there shortly. Just want to finish this excellent steak. Be a shame to waist any."

Once Joseph left he picked up each of the Lightsabers and examined them closely to check the quality of their workmanship. He'd have to have a talk with the artist, the sabers were beautifully crafted, but he hadn't actually requested the style change from the original. Most of them were beautiful and very comfortable, but not all of them could say the same. Both of the Ben Kenobi sabers were a pleasure, his original and this new one. The Luke blades were not quite so user friendly with their clunky fins and boxes. He couldn't imagine how Luke stood using the thing. Of course he was just an actor and his saber wasn't real....

He sighed and closed the case. They were absolutely incredible replicas but he'd never carry the others if he could help it. They'd go into his collection or be auctioned off. Better call the artist on the way to the physical and make sure there weren't any other artist choices in the works. The remaining four blades would need to be to his specifications. Now that he'd been practicing with the real blade for over two weeks he had some suggestions on that front. The artist would probably balk at it, and want to charge more, but Colin would set him straight on that account, he could either do it Colin's way or he could suck up the cost for making the other three blades different than what had been ordered.

The drive to the Aeon estates was pleasant and Colin always enjoyed seeing the old manors and what was being done with them so he was looking forward to the visit. The conversation with the saber maker was somewhat frustrating but in the end the man had seen it Colin's way. The mention of using the blades and the fact that they actually worked in Colin's hands seemed to make the difference. He was likely to have other customers once people saw them in use as more than a special effect. Hell, he could ditch the laser pointer innards and just make them empty shells and people would be clamoring at his door. Colin didn't think the man had the business sense to capitalize on it though.

When he arrived at the Aeon estates the door was opened by a servant and Colin got out of the car and looked around. He disapproved of the helipad out in the front in clear view. That was a bit tasteless and out of place in this setting. He shrugged and turned to Doctor that greeted him at the door.

"Dr. Mazarin?" Seeing the man's nod, he offered his own hand and said, "I am Jedi. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Two hours, and several test later Jedi's stomach was growling and he was getting ready for a break.

Dr. Mazarin spoke into his mic.

"Subject deviates from established curve in surprising ways. Utilizing an object, in itself unremarkable, he is able to generate a quantum charged beam of colored light. Without the object, he seems unable to generate this beam. Flag for future examination. Possibility exists that Subject is suffering from a psychosomatic limitation, conforming his abilities to those available to a group of fictional characters from a science fantasy film trilogy. I.E. Star Wars." He snapped off the mic.

One of the nurses attending said, "Science Fiction."

Mazarin turned, "What is it, Nurse?"

She blushed, but said, "You said Science Fantasy. Star Wars is Science Fiction."

Mazarin cocked his head. He said, "Actually, Fran, the presence of the 'force', by definition a 'magic' element to the plot, makes it Science Fantasy."

The Nurse opened her mouth to reply, but the cardiac technician chimed in, "Actually, you're both wrong. Star Wars is a Space Opera. The plot could have been taken directly out of Wagner."

The Nurse harumphed, and Dr. Mazarin said, "Now look here, obviously-"

Colin cut in, "Excuse me! I'm hungry, and while you guys figure out the specific genre you want to label Lucas's masterworks, I'm going to get a bite to eat. Now, where is the comissary, or whatever you have?"

They were all red-faced now. Mazarin mumbled directions.

Finally out of that room, Colin stalked to the cafeteria. He turned a corner quickly, anxious to reach some food, and:

CRASH!

He slammed into a man running the other way. He was completely bald, and flanked by two others, a redhead and a black man. The redhead helped Colin to his feet.

"Sorry about that," the bald guy murmured, "you okay?"

Without waiting for an answer, the trio charged off down the hallway. Colin wondered where they were going in such a hurry, and why the big guy was so rude.

Out of curiosity Colin followed the man down the hall. It was the rudeness as much as curiosity really. Before eruption Colin had tended to either get quietly angry or just back away in the face of that kind of confrontation. He watched as the men entered a doorway down the hall and realized he hadn't made a conscious decision, he just reacted. He was pursuing the men, but what was he going to do when he got there? Was he going to pick a fight? One thing was sure, he wasn't going to just back off anymore. He didn't need to, his physical had proved what he already suspected. He was physically beyond mere mortals now, and no matter how big that goon was he wasn't going to be intimidated, especially with two lightsabers in hand. He had deliberately held back in the physical not wanting to reveal all his secrets.

When he arrived at the door, he didn't bother to knock, he just turned the handle and moved into what he was surprised to discover was a fairly crowded room. There were more than the three men present. There were a pair of beautiful women and a couple other men as well and Colin could recognize tension in the air when he saw it. These people were on edge. To the room in general, "Sorry to barge in." Turning to face the big bald man, "I thought there must be some kind of emergency the way you fellows rushed off like that."

Seeing their looks at his jedi robes and lightsabers, he smiled. "You can call me Jedi."

• 2 years later...

Jedi's story continues from the 'Chapter 3: Pangaea' thread...

London Facility, Aeon Society - Sunday, April 12, 1998

Originally Posted By: Jedi
"Yes Charles, I'm planning a news conference to announce the formation of Novus, Inc. Anything you can do to assist, would be appreciated. Please get with my assistant and help set up an office front and a dozen or so employees to answer phones. We've got a dozen or so Novas signed on with Novus already, and I expect once this gets going it will snowball quickly."

"Very good, sir. The phonebank will be, if you will give me a- aha, here we are. You have an office in Chelsea, sir. I shall have twelve executive assistants hired from Staffers and Long, provided they are available this evening. Usual bonuses and waivers, unless you object, Mr. Chatham." He paused. "I had the staff reports on Geneva and the New York office sent over to Jones. If that's everything then, sir?"

Charles was a good man. He had filed copyright, and trademark, on the name 'Novus, Inc.', and just about every conceivable permutation, practically the day after Jedi erupted. Just in time, too, as the word was announced to the world soon thereafter. But, thanks to Prichard, Jedi could relax in the knowledge that 'Novus Tech', 'Novus Security', and 'Novus Laboratory' would never be on anyone's business card but his. To name a few.

The next call was to his trusted assistant. "Everything is a go. I'm setting a news conference for tomorrow at noon. We need a posh office front ready to go by then. It doesn't have to be permanent, just a good looking elegant place that stinks of success. You know how it was in the 80s, image was everything. Well, it's true enough when starting a new business. We need to look established." He thought for a moment. "Get a dozen people who present themselves well to answer phones. We'll have some important people calling as soon as the word gets out and I don't want us to make a bad impression. Make sure they know not to make any promises, they are only to set up appointments. Oh, and I asked Prichard to give you a hand. He'll keep us safe on the legal front."

Joseph Jones sighed heavily into the phone, then said, "Decorators, moving men, and someone to co-ordinate with the Operators, got it... ok, by tonight. Also, I have those numbers on New York payroll. Also, Antonio called from Geneva, he wants you to call him. Also, LucasArts called again. Call me if you need me, I have to go."

"Thanks Jones. I won't forget this." Colin said as he ended the call.

Now, to get the Novas I've signed on to be there for the news conference...

Michael strode purposefully into the day room, looking at the couch then the table. When he saw Jedi, his ruggedly handsome face made an 'aha', and he took a few steps towards him. Michael recognized that Colin was on the phone, and he leaned against a couch instead.

From the phone:

"Your father and the directors of your trust fund met this afternoon, Colin, and agreed by unanimous consent that you may use it's entire contents to fund your enterprise. At open of business this morning, the operating capital of Novus, Inc. stands at just over twenty six million pounds. Pursuant to your wishes, your grandfather's mining office here in Geneva has been turned over to Novus, Inc., and I am happy to report that I have filled every position in under the time that I had originally thought. We are ready at any time."

Colin was floored. He never dreamed that they would release his trust fund. That meant that they recognized the opportunity that he was grasping and believed it would be more than merely profitable. To have released all the funds at once and turn over the office in Geneva to him meant they were completely behind him. Until now they had respected his intelligence, and shown him minor trust, but only on a short leash. This was it!!!

He couldn't help himself, he knew he was grinning from ear to ear and it had to carry in his voice. "That's excellent news Antonio. This will position Novus, Inc to really stand way out ahead of any competitors. Not that I expect any serious threats for some time, but this will give me the edge to make it work right. I look forward to seeing you again my friend. Don't miss the press conference in the morning and be sure to shoot me your thoughts on it afterwards. You know how much I value your opinion." That was true enough, but Colin had never before been the sort of person to take the time for speaking such niceties. These last weeks had really taught him a great deal about how to interact with people. Before he'd been a geek and a rich brat whose father owned a major corporation. Now he was really getting into the swing of being his own person and dealing face to face with people whose respect and friendship he actually desired. It made all the difference in the world. The Colin who had become so flustered by the argument at the comic convention because some internet geek called him names... that boy was gone, and in his place was a strong and confident young man.

It was that new man that looked up at Michael, one of his first friends among the Novas. "Michael, come in, what can I do for you?"

Michael passed a hand over his face. He rubbed at his morning whiskers. He looked nervous. He stuck his hands in his jeans pockets.

"Sounds like you got some good news, there, Colin. That's great. Because, I have some bad news. I have to go to D.C."

He looked sheepish.

"I can absolutely still be there tomorrow, but I have some papers I have to sign so that the city doesn't foreclose on my house."

At Jedi's expression, he held up his hands in a 'warding off' gesture.

"Don't ask, don't ask. It's some kind of 'eminent domain' thing."

Micheal looked to him for understanding.

"So, I'll see you in the morning. Ok?"

"Yeah, no problem, you've got to do what you've got to do. But hey, I've got lawyers, lots of lawyers. Let me have one of them get with you to give you a hand, ok? The guys I've got access to will run circles around any city bureaucrat trying to take your house away."

Colin was a little worried it might be more than what Michael was saying, but he didn't want to be pushy or get into something that might be personal.

"Just let me know if there is anything I can to alright? And I'll see you a couple hours before the conference to go over the notes?"

Michael nodded.

"I will tell you, Colin, thanks for the offer. And, don't worry, I'll be there."

He smiled and left with a wave over his shoulder.

In spite of the situation with Michael, which may not even be a situation, things were certainly looking pretty good for Colin, though he didn't want to look at it that way just yet. His trust fund had been released, his offices in Geneva and New York were ready for business, and his London office would be ready soon. He had seven Novus lined up for sure, contracts signed. Another ten or twelve he needed to follow up on, they might be cracking. And he would be welcome for dinner with another thirty to forty. He checked his watch.

Not bad for a couple of weeks work, he thought, what's next?

What's next? Lucas Arts can go suck it. Probably wanting me to pay royalties on people calling me Jedi, but they can stuff that. I'm not calling myself Jedi so no money from me. I'll call them after I finish lining up more novas for the news conference. Need to nail down those wafflers.

The cafeteria. That was were the majority of the novas at Aeon would be right now and chances were good that at least one or two of the 12 would be there. He was pretty sure that with his new found abilities he could convince at least half of that 12 to sign up.

As he walked down he did phone up Antonio, "Hey, there is one more thing. It's not urgent for today, we've got too much else to do for the news conference tomorrow, but I'd like you to set up a meeting with Lucas Arts or at least find out what they want. If it's about potential copy right infringement because people have been calling me Jedi then I'll want to set up the meeting as much on our terms as possible and have you present. In fact, better that I not be there at all. If it is them wanting to use me for publicity or a movie deal or something like that then the meeting won't be urgent anyway and we can set it for a week or two out when things settle down a bit." He paused to listen to what his lawyer might say then finished with, "Seriously, you've done an incredible job so far, it's definitely appreciated."

By the time he finished he entered the dining hall and looked around to see who was there.

Antonio answered his phone curtly,then thawed considerably when he realized it was Colin. He listened to his instructions, and answered, "I'm on it."

He chuckled when Colin thanked him. "I wouldn't miss this for the world, Mr. Chatham. Thank you."

Jedi strode into the cafeteria like Caesar entering Rome. He quickly took in the panorama. Two of his possibles, Michelle and Anibal, were at nearby tables. The Grant kid was a no, she hated everything Novus, Inc. stood for. Freeman was a maybe someday, right now he had Fang stuck on his mind.

Two W.H.O. doctors brushed by him. They seemed to be arguing about strings?

Michelle had pretty much agreed to sign up provisionally. Colin wasn't honestly sure how she could benefit Novus, but just having her on the rolls added a number which at this point was good enough. He did need to talk with her and make sure she would be there for the press conference in the morning, but Annibal first. Nailing down his support would be a solid benefit, his Eufiber was going to be major and now Colin had the resources to help him market it and research more applications.

As he walked in he nodded to various people and waved greetings. This new Colin was loving life. The confidence that came along with being able to best most people on the planet in single combat gave him a stronger more assured air, but his new understanding of social dynamics was what really had changed things for him. All of it combined, the confidence and understanding and to be fair, the fact that he simply connected with people now and cared about their lives, it all made him a very likable person. Before he became a Novus people tolerated him and he tolerated them, now he entered a room and people smiled and invited him to sit with them and they were genuinely

disappointed when he wasn't able to take more than a minute or two to chat and hang out. It was everything he'd ever dreamed of and he loved it.

Anibal noticed him approach and waved him over. "Hey Colin. How are you today? The coffee is good."

Colin slid into the seat and shook the other man's hand. He had already been the recipient of one of the man's suits, and he appreciated it, but he hoped for more out of this meeting so he focused on being as persuasive as possible. "Hey there Anibal. Good to see you again. I was actually hoping I'd run into you." He motioned over one of the servers and politely asked for a cup of the coffee.

He made some polite conversation for a few minutes asking after how the other man was doing and if he'd adjusted yet and how his family and friends were taking it. When the right time came along he brought the talk around to business. "Listen, I wanted to get your buy in on the Novus, Inc. There are several ways it would benefit you. We can fund your research and help you market your Eufiber so you can concentrate on doing the things you really want to do. We've been over the basics before so I won't drag out all the great reasons for doing it. I just want you to know that I'd very much value you as a member of the group. The whole world knows this whole Novus thing is going to be commercialized one way or another. Better that it is Novus, Inc founded by novus and keeping in mind the goals of our well being and that of the world. And of course joining us means you can also work with Aeon or anyone else without it being a problem." He went on to lay out exactly how he saw Anibal's role, or potential roles in the organization. He didn't sugar coat it however, he laid out what he thought Buendia could make on his own which was considerable, but did emphasize how many ways that Novus could make things easier and more profitable, but most important, more enjoyable.

Click to reveal..

Persuader activated and Colin is using all his charm and ability to get Anibal to join up.

Mental Prodigy Finance roll:

(20:47:09) ChatBot: (Colin) rolls 4d10 and gets 3,6,8,9.

(20:47:16) ChatBot: (Colin) rolls 1d10 and gets 2.

2 Successes (Adds 2 dice to the business model discussion he is laying out to persuade Anibal.)

Persuasion roll:

(20:49:23) ChatBot: (Colin) rolls 5d10 and gets 7,7,3,6,2.

(20:49:26) ChatBot: (Colin) rolls 1d10 and gets 8.

(if you allow the dice from the successes of Mental prodigy:

(20:50:07) ChatBot: (Colin) rolls 2d10 and gets 9,8.

4 successes (or 6) + 3 auto successes from Persuader

For a total of 7 or 9 successes depending on whether the Prodigy dice are allowed.

As he walked in he nodded to various people and waved greetings.

Nina walked by, on her way out to the courtyard. Both of her. The Hungarian redhead was almost always her own twin these days. Colin could not figure it. Was she narcissistic? Or just smart? Whichever, as she passed she grinned at him from two faces.

"Hey, Colin!" In unison, as always. A hint of a pause in her step, but Colin just nodded. She flounced away, chatting idly with herself.

Everywhere he looked, people in the cafeteria met his eye. Some gave a quick smile and a wave. Others motioned him over.

Anibal noticed him approach and waved him over. "Hey Colin. How are you today? The coffee is good."

Colin slid into the seat and shook the other man's hand.

A few disappointed faces here and there, but they'd get over it. Colin noted with amusement that two of the cafeteria workers were approaching the table. They gazed at him adoringly and reminded him, again, that if there was anything he needed, any way they could be of service, to please let them know. Colin nodded and they withdrew a few steps. He turned his attention to Anibal Buendia.

"Hey there Anibal. Good to see you again. I was actually hoping I'd run into you." He motioned over one of the servers and politely asked for a cup of the coffee.

He made some polite conversation for a few minutes asking after how the other man was doing and if he'd adjusted yet and how his family and friends were taking it.

Anibal smiled and assured Colin that he was fine.

"I feel great, bro. My fibres, they are amazing, I think. I still do not know what they are good for, though. Perhaps they make a good outfit. It is a strange ability to have, I think."

He thought a moment, "My mother and her sister are crazy about it. They have been on T.V., Brazilian magazines are offering them a lot of money to talk about me. I tell them, go for it. Take every offer. They deserve it, I think."

He might have been about to say something else, but at that moment a loud announcement came over the loudspeaker:

"Hello? Hello? Good. Attention all staff. This is Dr. Mazarin. Please report to your research station within the next fifteen minutes. Be prepared to discuss your findings. All Novus volunteers, if your last name, or family name begins with any letter from A to L, please report at nine a.m. sharp to the W.H.O. Medical facility. If your last name begins with any letter from M to Z, please report at nine a.m. sharp to the Aeon Development Center. If you are a translator, find the Novus that you translate for and tell them where they need to be. Thank you for your patience, we will have a schedule in your hands by the end of the day. That is all."

Colin and Anibal looked at each other with raised eyebrows. Anibal said, finally, "I guess that means Medical." He stood and grabbed his tray. Colin took his cup of coffee and followed.

Anibal scraped his tray into the trash can. While he worked, Colin said,

"Listen, I wanted to get your buy in on the Novus, Inc. There are several ways it would benefit you. We can fund your research and help you market your Eufiber so you can concentrate on doing the things you really want to do. We've been over the basics before so I won't drag out all the great reasons for doing it. I just want you to know that I'd very much value you as a member of the group."

Anibal stacked his tray on a cart. He grinned, and held his hands up in front of his chest. "I'm in, I'm sold. You got me."

Colin nodded in satisfaction. He and Buendia shook hands symbolically. They exited the cafeteria. As they walked, Anibal said, "How did you come up with this idea, anyway? And do you think Aeon will care that you are poaching Novus?"

"The whole world knows this whole Novus thing is going to be commercialized one way or another. Better that it is Novus, Inc founded by novus and keeping in mind the goals of our well being and that of the world. And of course joining us means you can also work with Aeon or anyone else without it being a problem."

He went on to lay out exactly how he saw Anibal's role, or potential roles in the organization. He didn't sugar coat it however, he laid out what he thought Buendia could make on his own which was considerable, but did emphasize how many ways that Novus could make things easier and more profitable, but most important, more enjoyable.

They stopped in the foyer. Anibal nodded to Colin's words.

"I think it all sounds good. I would like to spend some time in Paris, I think, studying women's fashion. But first things first. Are you going to Medical? Should I?"

Colin shrugged, "Up to you. I fully support Aeon's efforts even if I'm trying to do my own thing with Novus. I'm actually heading there now myself. Was hoping to talk to Renee Byrnes this morning after I talked to you." He smiled and sat down his coffee, "You're welcome to join me on the walk if you like otherwise I'll expect you at the news conference in the morning. One of my people will make sure you get all the details."

He handed Anibal his card, "If you ever need anything feel free to call me. Novus is about making money, but it's also about us sticking together and that mean's my phone is available to you anytime my friend."

He stood as the other man took the card and put it in a pocket, ready to make his way to Medical and try and talk to Renee on the way if he could find her, or talk to her once he got there if not. He was careful not to give the impression that he was done with Anibal however, he really meant what he said about sticking together and the offer to join him on the walk was sincere as well.

Anibal grinned as he pocketed the card. He liked walking with Jedi. Everyone turned to look. At Jedi, sure, but there you were, with him. Looking stylish. Anibal adjusted the cut of his leather jacket, and made it brown leather instead of black. Brown matched Jedi better. He changed his jeans to khakis, and pulled out his cell phone. He double checked that the number he had was right, and strode from the cafeteria.

Colin looked around as they went through the foyer and down the hall to the Medical facility, but didn't see Renee anywhere. As they walked, however, they seemed to attract Novus. Martin Denis, the Belgian, was first. He had those damn ferrets on his shoulders again, too. The bobcat was bad enough, but the ferrets stank. Still, he gave a cheerful wave, and without saying a word, fell in behind Jedi and a bit to the left.

Not ten steps further, and Wes Dalton popped in to the right of Anibal. He was kind of freaky, with his crazy conspiracy theories and alien fixation, but another teleporter was always welcome. Then, Dr. Kevnoh fell into step with them.

Kevnoh was a real odd duck. As he walked, he carried on a lively conversation with someone on his telephone. Anya, most likely. Everyone has heard of his assistant, Anya, he speaks of her constantly, like a man in love. No one has met her yet, however. Bearded, and seemingly in his late thirties, Kevnoh often corrects the W.H.O. doctors with incomprehensible gibberish. Every Novus liked him.

They certainly got attention as they strode through the foyer, and down the hall. Colin could see more than one thoughtful look as they passed. Just outside the double doors, his phone rang. He checked his screen. Antonio. Surely this could wait.

Colin had given each addition a warm smile and a greeting as they joined him on the walk. He couldn't help but feel pleased as the group naturally took shape around him. He'd never in his life had that kind of popularity or charisma before and it felt damned good.

When the phone buzzed and he looked at it he wanted to wait and not answer, but there was so much riding on the news conference tomorrow that he was afraid to not answer. He made an apologetic shrug to his friends and answered, "What's up Antonio? On my way into a meeting right now, but I've always got a second for you."

Archived