Mutants and Masterminds: A Song in Time of Revolution - M&M Paragons (Not a Candy)

This is the premise.

The last few months have been hectic and borderline apocalyptic. It started small enough: a yeti here, a haunted house there. Things acccelerated. Unexplainable lights in the sky. Rains of fishes. Meteor showers at all times of day. Strange animal behavior, especially in migratory creatures. Shorter days (oh, the scientists assured you they were still the same length, but...somehow they seemed to go faster).

It started slow, the next big thing, but gradually people all over the world began to develop...abilities. Not many of them; maybe no more than 6,000 in all, but that's still a formidable number, and there's been a very slow but steady trickle since.

Some people gained abilities straight out of comic books, shooting laser beams from their hands or eyes and flying around. Others gained intelligence beyond the capability of most men. Still others raised the dead, developed acid for blood, gained 'magical' powers...the list goes on. Science has no explanation. These things seem to happen to random people, sometimes for somewhat understandable reasons (stress, life-threatening situations) and sometimes for no discernable reason at all. The world is changing. Quickly.

Too fast, some say. Specifically, the members of the Paranormal Regulation Agency, whose job it is to enforce the recently-passed Paranormal Regulation Act, requiring all American paragons of all stripes to register their abilities with the United States Government (most other countries have similar laws). Some do so willingly, detailing their powers in great depth to garner trust, even working with the PRA to help them accomplish their near-insurmountable task. Other's don't.

In this game it's assumed that you're a don't. It's also assumed that you all inhabit the same general geographic area; probably a fictional city. Your powers may be mystical, cosmic, technological, whatever you want. Consult the Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition corebook for details, and the Paragons book for more. If you don't have Paragons, you don't really need it, but it's nice.

Characters will start at PL 8. The main themes of the game will be surival, paranoia, and enterprise. You're in a world that fears you and is in awe of you in equal measure. You can easily shape the future if you dare.

This is the premise.

The last few months have been hectic and borderline apocalyptic. It started small enough: a yeti here, a haunted house there. Things acccelerated. Unexplainable lights in the sky. Rains of fishes. Meteor showers at all times of day. Strange animal behavior, especially in migratory creatures. Shorter days (oh, the scientists assured you they were still the same length, but...somehow they seemed to go faster).

It started slow, the next big thing, but gradually people all over the world began to develop...abilities. Not many of them; maybe no more than 6,000 in all, but that's still a formidable number, and there's been a very slow but steady trickle since.

Some people gained abilities straight out of comic books, shooting laser beams from their hands or eyes and flying around. Others gained intelligence beyond the capability of most men. Still others raised the dead, developed acid for blood, gained 'magical' powers...the list goes on. Science has no explanation. These things seem to happen to random people, sometimes for somewhat understandable reasons (stress, life-threatening situations) and sometimes for no discernable reason at all. The world is changing. Quickly.

Too fast, some say. Specifically, the members of the Paranormal Regulation Agency, whose job it is to enforce the recently-passed Paranormal Regulation Act, requiring all American paragons of all stripes to register their abilities with the United States Government (most other countries have similar laws). Some do so willingly, detailing their powers in great depth to garner trust, even working with the PRA to help them accomplish their near-insurmountable task. Other's don't.

In this game it's assumed that you're a don't. It's also assumed that you all inhabit the same general geographic area; probably a fictional city. Your powers may be mystical, cosmic, technological, whatever you want. Consult the Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition corebook for details, and the Paragons book for more. If you don't have Paragons, you don't really need it, but it's nice.

Characters will start at PL 8. The main themes of the game will be surival, paranoia, and enterprise. You're in a world that fears you and is in awe of you in equal measure. You can easily shape the future if you dare.

I would like to play a Speedster or a Shapeshifter like Mystique. What about you guys?

If necessary I would step back and play a Brick instead if we are in dire need of one.

I'm still working myself through the creation rules. Maybe someone can give me a few hints with my ideas?

I would like to play a Speedster or a Shapeshifter like Mystique. What about you guys?

If necessary I would step back and play a Brick instead if we are in dire need of one.

I'm still working myself through the creation rules. Maybe someone can give me a few hints with my ideas?

One thing to beware of: Mutants and Masterminds attributes have a relatively narrow field of influence compared to most game systems.

Basically, your attributes...Strength, Dexterity, etc...do not affect your Defense. They do not affect your chance to hit. They only affect:

Saving Throw modifiers (Reflex, Fortitude, Will and Toughness)

Skill modifiers

Attribute tests

Base melee damage bonus (Strength only).

Keep that in mind when buying attributes. People coming in from other systems are often used to combat rolls being more dependent on scores in strength and dexterity. smile

One thing to beware of: Mutants and Masterminds attributes have a relatively narrow field of influence compared to most game systems.

Basically, your attributes...Strength, Dexterity, etc...do not affect your Defense. They do not affect your chance to hit. They only affect:

Saving Throw modifiers (Reflex, Fortitude, Will and Toughness)

Skill modifiers

Attribute tests

Base melee damage bonus (Strength only).

Keep that in mind when buying attributes. People coming in from other systems are often used to combat rolls being more dependent on scores in strength and dexterity. smile

I'm angling towards Vixen - leaning heavily on the Transform power suite with a couple other 'mystical' odds & ends. Concept being a scientifically inclined woman who may have just turned into something science can't explain.

I also opt for PL8. A nice balance between low-fi and high.

I'm angling towards Vixen - leaning heavily on the Transform power suite with a couple other 'mystical' odds & ends. Concept being a scientifically inclined woman who may have just turned into something science can't explain.

I also opt for PL8. A nice balance between low-fi and high.

Archived