Aberrant: No Fate - Chapter 3: Deja Vu

Joani

"Oops...twenties. Sorry...dunno how that got in there..." She messes with her opnet thing. "Thanks. Still need proofreaders that'll volunteer..."

When Synner says who he's with, Keiko looks up at him, brightening again.

"Really?! You must know Rousseau then!"

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newton nodded eagerly. "I'm sure we can pool our resources and abilities to have maximum effect. I can ask Synapse to do OpNet research which will save us a lot of time. I'm still somewhat confused about you guys, though. So you are not with Proteus... or only some of you? What's the deal? How comes that a known Utopia affiliate works together with someone like... Nosferatu, a terat? And what about the rest of you?", he points at Sean and Callum.

Sean grinned, "I'm an elite. An independent contractor one might say, I kill people for money." Before the typical reaction to that statement could set in he adds, "I don't accept contracts on innocent people though, only the ones I feel are evil or need to be put down for the sake of others."

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
When Synner says who he's with, Keiko looks up at him, brightening again.

"Really?! You must know Rousseau then!"

"I've only briefly met her, but I guess you can say I know her. Which reminds me, I had better tell my cell to scatter. Everyone had better tell your contacts to go to ground just incase someone is doing some scorched earth."

Synner pulls out his phone, waits for a signal, and starts speed-dialing his Aberrant cell mates in the hopes they are still alive. The Multi-Armed thing that killed the fool is still fresh in his mind.

The Teragen are part of Aeon?! It was an outrageous statement, and horribly ignorant. Especially because Aeon and the United Nations set up Utopia and Proteus.

"I think you are mistaken." Nosferatu was trying to not berate her for her mistake. "The Teragen have no affiliation with Utopia, or Aeon for that matter." In fact, we oppose what both those groups represent. We are afterall, no longer human."

He continued with his lesson. "The information you have about Proteus causing the Galatea exlosion is in dispute by the Teragen. We have our own theories."

He turns to Newton. "We are together due to circumstance." There was no need to let them know about Omega.

Keiko nods gleefully at Nosferatu, "I know! That's the best part! It's really madly, insanely genius. There was this guy who used to be in Aeon but he got kicked out and then he disappeared about two years ago, but before he did he managed to post two pictures. They were only up for about five minutes before the site was just brutally hacked into oblivion, but I saw a screenshot of it. Well, a cellphone picture of one. Anyway, one picture is of Divis Mal from when he was spotted last time. The other shot is supposedly from Aeon archives. And Divis is in it! With some other guys who started Aeon up!"

She claps her hands delightedly, then admits, "I mean, it looks a lot like him. Well, pretty much like him. Obviously he looks different now, but the POINT is that he has clearly been like...part of the whole puzzle. To split the world between Utopia and Teragen, but no matter which way you go...you're going to Aeon, and the Illuminati."

Keiko nods authoritatively and waggles her fingers like a person controlling a marionette. "Spooky, huh?"

She had some strange theories about the Teragen. He felt the need to correct her misconceptions.

"Divis Mal is the leader of our movement. He issued the Null Manifesto and gave us direction." Nosferatu acknowleged. "But contrary to what a certain faction would like to believe, Mal did not start the Teragen."

Nosferatu was not sure why he was trying to explain things her. She seemed pretty convinced in what she was saying.

Keiko blinks at that, then realizes what he's saying. 'Us.'

"Ohhhh, you're IN the Teragen! Well, that makes sense then."

She nods, having solved that mystery, and looks at the others.

"So...we're going to call his friend and then...what?"

Ronnie started laughing. She couldn't help it. Keiko's clear excitement and firm belief was running headlong into Nosferatu's condensending desire to 'set her straight.' "Newton, this has been a ball, but I'm going to go get some rest while I can. You guys seem like you have your ideas; I'll wait for my orders, as usual. You call me if you need me, ok?"

She turned and left, sighing through her nose as she put distance between herself and everyone else. So long as no one called her back or followed her, she could have a few minutes to herself, where she could 'turn off' and relax.

We're going to talk, right?

Well, she could turn off anyway.

Sean responded, "Then hopefully he can give us some info on Proteus and Bahrain and we will have a better idea of what to do next. I don't relish the idea of trying to infiltrate that place even with full knowledge, much less without any." Hang on and I'll call him.

Sean wanders over to the corner and dials his cellphone, "Hey, yeah man, it's Sean. Listen, I've got myself an assignment handed to me that I don't particularly like, and I was wondering if I might be able to pick your brain for what you might know that could help me, I know you've dealt with the subject in the past." He listens for a moment, "Yeah, now would be good if you are available. Sure, no problem. I've got a guy with me that can bring you to where I am, just tell me where you are and we'll be there in a flash to pick you up. Uh huh, yeah. Right. No probem. Five minutes, we'll be there." Sean hung up the phone.

Walking back to the others, "So my friend is available and if Synner doesn't mind we can get him in five minutes." Looking at Newton, "You mind if I bring him here? He can be trusted."

Synner finishes up his phone calls. One advantage of working in a conspiritorial organization, the members knew how to quickly make themselves scarce.

"Sure thing Sean. Anything to forward the plan," he said in a crisp, clean, confident tone.

Sean gives the coordinates to a coffee shop so that his friend won't have the two of them invading his home. Once Synner opened the warp Sean stepped through to show that there weren't any hostiles coming. He looked around for the familiar site of the XWF fighter, who used to be one of the worlds best nova trackers in the world.

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
Newton nodded eagerly. "...I'm still somewhat confused about you guys, though. So you are not with Proteus... or only some of you? What's the deal? How comes that a known Utopia affiliate works together with someone like... Nosferatu, a terat? And what about the rest of you?", he points at Sean and Callum.
Cherub sighs and says,

"A big part of this is, was, The Fool's doing. He was... a precog of some flavor I'd guess. But more than that, he was manipulating things too. He was like a Chessmaster thinking many moves ahead. He could tell you it was in your interests to do things, and the heck of it was he'd be right. He had some complicated thing going with and against Proteus. And about all I know about it is the name."

"I'm not sure how much what we're dealing with here is Paradox, but I think a lot of it is. I think The Fool got sucked into it and dragged most of the rest of us in too. Normally I wouldn't be associating with Terats... um... no offense intended... but... knowing future history I know that I'm going to and with millions of lives on the line this seems the only course of action."

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Sean gives the coordinates to a coffee shop so that his friend won't have the two of them invading his home. Once Synner opened the warp Sean stepped through to show that there weren't any hostiles coming. He looked around for the familiar site of the XWF fighter, who used to be one of the worlds best nova trackers in the world.

The patrons of Generic Hipster Starbucks #52,467 reacted with the natural shock and awe of witnessing a hole tear itself in the fabric of space.

All excpet one.

An unfamiliar voice clears it's throat from Sean's flank. "Very subtle. No wonder the Agency fired you." the voice jests. It belongs to an unfamiliar face: a non descript caucasian man with dark hair dressed in unremarkably conservative clothing. Though it looks nothing like him, the familiar manner of joking and the knowing look in his eyes convince Sean that this is indeed his old friend. "Your friends, your introduction," he gestures indicating that he will follow Sean back through the warp.

Sean nods, "This way." He leads back through the warp followed by Frag. Once on the other side he faces the newcomer, "Yeah, we don't have time for subtlety right now. Lets just say a precog warned us of a disaster that will effect millions if we don't act fast. You could even say he died giving us the warning, the threat is real." Frag can see the seriousness on Sean's face, "To make matters worse, we need to get into Bahrain and hack their systems to prevent it. Long and short of it is that Proteus created a living weapon and it is on the loose. The info we need to stop it is in that facility."

Sean let that sink in for a minute. "That's why we need your help. I know you've tracked some of the Proteus operatives and done your research on that nova jail. What can you tell us of it?"

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Sean nods, "This way." He leads back through the warp followed by Frag. Once on the other side he faces the newcomer, "Yeah, we don't have time for subtlety right now. Lets just say a precog warned us of a disaster that will effect millions if we don't act fast. You could even say he died giving us the warning, the threat is real." Frag can see the seriousness on Sean's face, "To make matters worse, we need to get into Bahrain and hack their systems to prevent it. Long and short of it is that Proteus created a living weapon and it is on the loose. The info we need to stop it is in that facility."

Sean let that sink in for a minute. "That's why we need your help. I know you've tracked some of the Proteus operatives and done your research on that nova jail. What can you tell us of it?"

As Sean spoke, Jacob's practiced eyes scanned the room, taking in the features of his surroundings. Simultaneously, his node took in the heady "scent" of each of them, automatically sizing them up for the sustenance that they could provide. When Sean had finsished his briefing in brief, Jacob gave a modest smile.

"My Sean! What a motley crew of mutants you seemed to have shacked up with. Of course, I am one to talk aren't I..."

The rather unassuming man walks casually over to a console of flashing lights and digital interfaces. "Very sci-fi...who's your interior decorator, Gene Roddenberry?" Seeing all of the serious expressions, or in the case of Newton a marked lack of any, Jacob sighed. "Bahrain, right."

"Well it's easy enough to get in. Just go berserk with your powers until enough people die or you end up looking like Mr. Mercury over there and you'll find out. But that's not the answer you were looking for is it? You want to break in. Good luck getting out alive. In spite of what the media spin-docs would have you think, no one ever gets out of there. You'ld be lucky to keep your node, let alone your life."

He holds up a hand before anyone can protest.

"Yes it's true that I tracked someone I thought to be an agent of Proteus back in the day. Thing is, I never caught the guy...or girl. Their quantum resonance was so wacked out they could have been Marvin the Martian for all I know. In the end, they disappeared, *poof*!" he pantomimed a vanish with one hand. "Just like that into thin air."

"Don't get me wrong Seanny-boy, I'ld love to help you out if I could. This living weapon you mentioned sounds right in line with what I know of our Big Bad Brother. The Powers-that-Be won't sleep at night 'til they can control or kill all of us. That's exactly why I retired from all this cloak and dagger shit."

Jacob sighs again and slumps slightly against a wall, briefly hinting at his own world weariness.

Cherub frowns for a moment and says,

"Assume for the moment that Bahrain is off the table and that we don't want to lose New York, we still have some options. We could take her to somewhere where they won't hurt anyone when they merge... or even kill her. Involving the Directive seems counter productive, they may have made the mess but I doubt they can clean it up."

"Wait a moment. Why not let our problems solve each other? Take *her* to Bahrain."

Ronnie eased into her room, shutting and locking the door behind her. She wasn't worried about missing the conversation; she had long since bugged the room so that she could listen in when she was away. She had done well here, infliatrating the group successfully, building herself up as a member of the team.

And she was about to blow it. She hadn't been able to stop that last glance back at Callum, not that it had been her fault, not really. Ronnie sank onto her bed and pressed her hands into her purple hair, grimacing. "Ok, Rebecca Lee... we can't keep doing this. You're going to get us caught."

Her long purple hair lightened and shifted into a coppery red, while Ronnie's violet eyes turned green. Her body changed, becoming smaller and thinner; Ronnie's clothes sagged on her. Rebecca Lee's green eyes filled with tears immediately, and she said, "I don't care! I'm tired of this. We have given up everything I value to do this job. I'm done!" Her voice was higher than Ronnie's and used to being soft and gentle. The outraged tone in it now didn't fit and she struggled to keep control of her voice.

"Oh, boo-hoo," she said in another new voice. Her skin remained pale, but her coppery hair lost its red and became honey-blonde. Her eyes shifted to a dark storm-blue and her full mouth widened giving her a generous smile. Again, Ronnie's outfit hung on her frame. That smile quickly twisted into a cruel smirk. "She wasn't yours! She isn't ours! God, that was the worst assignment."

Another voice spoke, this one thick and Southern. "Rebecca, honey... we can't stop," the new woman said, her skin and hair darkening until she was a matronly middle-aged black woman. She actually had to unbutton Ronnie's pants. "You can' stop eithah. Omega has us and we're stuck good."

The woman's black hair shortened drastically, turning straight and dark brown. Her skin tone remained dark, though it lightened to a tone that suggested Indian or the Middle East. This was offset by unnaturally green eyes. She also filled out Ronnie's clothes again. The boyish haircut framed a face that had lost all feminine wiles, becoming bold and firm, almost masculine. It was also heavily lined for one so young, as if the weight of the world rested on the woman. When she spoke, it was measured and even. "Nana is right. Loss is part of this charade; we have all given up something. Rebecca, you must simply endure."

Rebecca's features returned as her voice flowed forth. "I'm not a masocist nor a martyr, Barb, so you can shove that 'simply endure' crap where the sun don't shine," she spat. Tears shone again as she pressed her hands to her face and began to cry. "I just want my life back!"

Rebecca's features twisted again, becoming another blonde woman, though where the first had been pale-skinned and darker in hair in eyes, this woman was tanned to perfection, with sun-bleached hair and sea-green eyes. "It wasn't our life," the new arrival said softly, wiping away tears that weren't hers. "We stole it, just like we steal all the lives we live." Her turned her head, as if that would help her hear the conversation over the earpiece better. "They're talking about going to Bahrain," she said, amused. "This outta be funny. Ronnie, you may have to call me in."

The blonde hair became purple and filled out to become Ronnie again. "Ten-four," she said, nodding. "As always, we'll do what we gotta do." She felt Rebecca start to protest and she stopped her. "No. Rebecca Lee, I understand your pain. I loved her, too. Remember? I wanted to name her Elizabeth. I wanted that baby as much as you did. But we can't have her. We can't. And we have to keep going, all together, or we all die together when we're found. So hon... you gotta get on the bandwagon with the rest of us. Callum faced his loss - face your own, do the right thing just like he did."

Rebecca emerged again, her shoulders shaking as she sobbed. "Damn you," she whispered. "That was a low blow, Ronnie."

"I know," Ronnie said as her features dominated the body again. "But it's also true. It's what we gotta do, girl." Without further comment, the decision was made, and Ronnie laid back on her bed, resting and listening to the conversation continuing in the bridge.

Sean smiled. "That is a very interesting solution to the problem. I could live with that if we can't find any other way. Probably wouldn't really accomplish much more than giving Proteus more than a black eye, but still worth considering."

Cherub disagreed with this assessment by saying,

"A black eye... and about 5 million people would live through the next couple of days. And certain members of Utopia and the Teragen wouldn't be blamed for this mess."

"We're never going to be able to finger whoever is really responsible, so we need a scapegoat. And..."

Cherub looked significantly at Newton,

"... if she did her thing close to Bahrain, it won't be well defended any more. Pretty much anyone could just walk in and take whatever they wanted."

Sean thought about it, liking the idea more and more. "Maybe not Keiko. That facility is mostly underground and built to withstand nova assaults. I suspect quite a bit of it would survive, and maybe even the personnel. Of course, the only really innocents involved would be the prisoners that Proteus is holding there. The ones that aren't hopelessly insane from taint that is. All in all, I'm starting to really like the idea."

"Kill, shmill." Nosferatu said, rolling his eyes. "We will probaly have to kill most of them anyways, just to get in there."

He flashed his trademark grin, his elongated canines protruding over his lower lip. "Once Nadine does her thing, I wouldn't mind hunting of some Proteus bad guys. Afterall, a Vampire's got to feed."

"Of course, I am always happy to take some volunteers." He winked at Keiko.

Keiko's eyes widen almost comically and she edges towards the door.

"Uh...I didn't...I don't want to kill anyone," she stammers. "That's not what I...you know, I'm not like you guys; a secret super agent or an assassin or whatever you are. I just proofread at a newspaper and write my site."

She hesitates, clearly worried that this might get her in trouble, but not quite ready to make a break for it.

Cherub says to Keiko,

"If we seem callus it's because we were at ground zero when Nadine went nuclear in the middle of New York. Killed five, maybe more, million people. You and Newton undid that. For that I thank you."

"But we literally have a ticking nuke here and our choice is limited to 'who' and 'where' and not 'whether'. I suspect there aren't a lot of innocent people in Bahrain."

Keiko frowns and taps her forefingers together uncertainly.

"But I thought that was only because this thing..." she glances at Newton. "This singularity thing finds her? So there's got to be a way to stop it without making it explode. Or..."

She sighs.

"I don't know. This is all way over my head. I mean, I'd love the chance to see the inside of the most infamous prison ever, but...I'm not going to be any help if you guys want to fight."

Synner leans up against a wall and listens to the conversation go on around him. Finally, he adds,

"I'm not hot about going into an area that has some sort of Spatial Dampner on it, because that is what I've heard is around the place. That's why you can't just teleport in and out at will. Now, what kind of effect is this field going to have on the explosion?"

"We also might want to consider the fact that our major temporal manipulator doesn't like our plan. If Keiko isn't going to help us, what's Plan B?"

"I don't understand what we're trying to do," Keiko complains. "I thought the whole point of going to Bahrain was getting the files about the Singularity to keep it from destroying anything. So if you let it explode, then there's no point in going to Bahrain anymore."

"Or am I wrong? Besides why do you need ME now? I'd only get in your way."

"Actually, there is still reason to go in. If they created this Singularity thing once, what's to stop them from doing it again, and maybe we won't be around to stop it next time. If we have it in our power to toss a monkey wrench into their works, I'm all for it.

Jacob listened to the odd assemblage of novas discuss dropping their weapon on Bahrain. Finally he speaks up.

"Blowing up the surface won't do you any good, and there is more than just Novas to contend with, although you can bet the ones they have guarding that place are mean motherfuckers. No, you want to worry about all the blacktech they've implemented. You know Utopia's TechReg? Well Proteus gets to cherry-pick all the best stuff. We're likely talking automated gun turrets, laser nets, dampening fields, and the most advanced siege system they could create. Sealable corridors, multiple blast doors, fallback areas, bottlenecks, murderholes the works..."

He shakes his head.

"You guys are all crazy..."

Cherub says,

"She doesn't really blow up. She just kind of... I'm not sure. Everyone just kind of vanished last time. As for the wisdom of taking down Bahrain, of the things that we can actually *do*, this seem one of the best."

"But yeah, I see the criticisms. If someone has a better idea... now is the time. Last time we got millions of people killed and the world turned against novas. Not doing anything is an action."

Sean nods. "Damn straight it is, and one that will end with our own butts accused of murdering millions. I'm not going to allow that to happen again." Thinking on his feet he throws out another idea, "We can't teleport in, but we could get close and walk right through their shields, drop her off and the haul ass out of there and then teleport out. It would take some close timing, but better than being outside their shield."

Jacob (who has yet to introduce himself as such) smiles at this, seeming to perk up a bit.

"I'd be happy to play courier if it would help. I am, after all, expendable. Do you think it will hurt?"

You get the impression that he wouldn't mind a little pain.

Archived