Adventure! RPG - How Long do Daredevils Live?

Avenger

We know that Daredevils are just a little more than human, but thanks to the fact that none of them apparently register in later timelines when we have the advantage of genetic testing, we have no idea how or why. But did anyone else pick up that Danger Ace is still kicking around in Trinity times? The guy would have to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 130 years old, and yet he's still going strong. None of the other Daredevils in the book mentioned are mentioned in later books, so is Danger Ace the exception or the rule? And if he's the rule, how many other Daredevils are out there who remember what happened because they were there? A group of powerful enough Daredevils so motivated just might be able to throw a wrench in Project Rewrite...

--Avenger

------------------

"Don't try to run, you son of a bitch. You'll just die tired."

avengingcrusader@hotmail.com

Speculation!

Wheee...! smile.gif

Kinda makes you wonder if Max's dream was really corrupted by people of lesser moral fiber that followed. Or was he really serious about letting humanity choose it's course even knowing that some paths are dead ends? Is there a time traveling optimist out there with a few key people assisting him? People chosen because they share the dream? Long lived people guided by inspiration perhaps? People not detectable as Nova in the wake of the Aberrant War?

Stalwarts will have had their heyday starting in 1998 and faced the question of power vs cost. The mesmerists are reaching their pinnacle and the question is close behind, reaching for them, in the form of the Doyen that grant power at the cost of potential and manipulation.

2122 is coming fast and Max would have had two huundred years to prepare and ease the burden of the really bad decisions. Does anyone else find it interesting that the clair barrier is two hundred years after the Hammersmith experiment? Is there such a thing as coincidence where a time traveler is concerned? I mean a really big coincidence?

To actually answer your question, I've only found references to Danger Ace, but, there is the possiblity of others. Safari Jack Tallon had a gadget equivalent of the optimized metabolism knack in the form of rare herbs. Guessing that he was (physically) in his late 40s to early 50s in the 1920, had a stamina of at least 4 (a low guess)... He would be in his mid-fifties by the aberrant wars. In 2122 he'll be physically around his late 50's early 60's. So if they are exceptions Danger Ace isn't the only possible exception to the rule. I also seem to recall that the original ÆON recorded everything and those records were once open to all. Others may have known Jack's particular morning constitutional or developed their own.

Somehow, the thought of a coalition hybrid nova staring down the barrel of elephant gun held by a steely eyed brit in a safari jacket makes me giggle. You just know Jack would give the rampaging beastie a curt nod of his head and a tight smile before giving his all for Queen and Country by pulling the trigger... biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Tuesday Childe (edited 08-31-2001).]

Is Danger Ace definitely around in Trinity?

I think not. In Trinity, Jake Danger is a character in a holovid show. Perhaps that holovid is set during the Aberrant War - and Jake Stefokowski was an Aberrant hunter in the War, but has died by the Trinity era. Just a thought.

Oh, and Jack Tallon's age-

A!, page 259, '1902':

'Safari Jack Tallon has hist first heart attack in his early 60s and begins experimenting with herbal remedies.'

-Proteus

However did I miss that? Ah, well, that'll teach me to skim the 'mundane section.'

For the benefit of those that don't have Adventure yet; Jake Strefowski's (Danger Ace)entry on page 234 lists him as "one of Aeon's most durable members. Decades later; later, the world knows him Jake Danger, Aberrant Hunter." The entry lacks a bit in context other than to imply that he often lived when thought dead. And will apparently be around long after most of my Aberrant characters are dust.

With the exception of Annabelle, we don't know the fate of most of Aeon and can only infer. Decades later? How about over a century later! You're probably right that the show in Trinity is based on something from the past. By that time he probably is dead and buried.

But, what if...

Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger:
And if he's the rule, how many other Daredevils are out there who remember what happened because they were there? A group of powerful enough Daredevils so motivated just might be able to throw a wrench in Project Rewrite...

Out of curiousity, what might motivate said individuals the other way? As in said DDs working on Project Rewrite? Or what if two such groups were in opposition?

Every since this book came out I'm getting more and more ideas for short chronicles and one shots focusing on things like this.

Gawds but this thing is kewell!

Actually if anyone has read the media mini-book for Trinity they can see a few pages from a Project Utopia comic (showing Pax) supposedly posted on the opnet by some kid in 2121, and some comments below it by the clean up team from the Aeon Trinity.

I think the book also mentions Jake Danger but I am not sure.

My copy of Media is in Alberta, but I do remember there being a Jake Danger. I always thought the show was a bit like Cops, but instead of hunting crooks he killed abbies.

Considering the fact that he is Jack Tallon's protoge, I could see Tallon passing on the secret of his longevity formula to Danger Ace, maybe even refining it with the help of Profesor Dixon. Who knows? Maybe more of the orginal crew is around than we thought. Whitley Styles is still kicking in 1970 (Aberrant Players Guide) and we never really know who sits on the Aeon Council of the 2120s. Hmm. . .

^_^

-Defender.

So, this got me wondering...

When do the Inspired stop "popping up"? Late 1920s? 1930s? World War II? I imagine that that new Inspired would have to stop showing up after a while, or else they'd still be going strong by the Nova Age.

Of course, this question may have already been answered somewhere, but if that's the case, I haven't found it.

- Splendor

Actually, there is a comment in the Adventure! book somewhere that mentions the Inspired existing in all three timeframes.

Compared to Novas and Psions however, who would recognize them as being anything special?

Barring supernatural intervention (like Tallon's herbal remedies), a Daredevil is just a human who is a bit 'luckier' than the average mere mortal. Also, genetically, the Daredevils shouldn't show up as anything but human, so they could be easily overlooked as just lucky, or even insane in the Aberrant area.

In the 1920's, there is the belief that the 'average joe' can make a difference. By the Aberrant Age, we let novas handle all the really difficult problems and we had the buck off to the Orders during Trinity.

Having the Aeon Society looking for Daredevils in later eras reminds me of "Unbreakable" and Mr. Glass's search. Anyone else feel that way?

Wow, Jager, good call.

Though I don't necessarily agree about Daredevils not showing up as aberrant in any way genetically. In the heydey of DD's, genetics was not yet a gleam in some mad scientists eye, and by the time of the nova age, anything below Psiad isn't even on the radar.

It seems to me (and this is a theory) that a DD would test genetically as just "better" genetically than his peers, but not out of the ordinary in any way other than being exceptional in a few areas. Like a prodigy, you could say. No smarter than Einstein or Tesla, but special. Compared to humanity, a leap above. Compared to other luminaries, equals.

I agree with you completely about the mindset of the '20's as compared to now, though. A Daredevil comparitively is pathetic when put beside a nova. Such an exceptional baseline wouldn't even stand out in the nova age.

It almost makes me wonder if perhaps somewhere, far away, there isn't a lone "proto-human" out there, searching for another of his kind...a cut above humanity, but still human.

-- Avenger

------------------

Don't try to run, you son of a bitch. You'll just die tired.

Maybe, if you think about it, the Daredevils are still out there in the Nova Age. That human companion who manages to see past the aberrations to stay by their friends side. That Directive agent who miraculously survives the blast. Novas would just call them special (or lucky), but in an earlier time, they would have shared the stage with their nova conterparts/antagonists.

Exactly, man. A DD wouldn't even register with all the novas running around. And with such a high concentration of "Z-Waves" in the air from Mal's Hammersmith Recreation, I'd wager there may be even MORE than there is in Adventure! But not that you'd ever know, because hey, maybe Bob from accounting is never in a fatal blast. Maybe Rose from the mail room will never go on safari. And even if they did do something extraordinary, who would notice?

-- Avenger

------------------

Don't try to run, you son of a bitch. You'll just die tired.

...or Bob from Accounting is in that fatal blast, but somehow survives. What do they do? They take him down to the Rashoud Facility, go looking for that non-existant MR node, don't find it and shove him back out the door. They chalk his survival up to serendipity or luck and then forget about it.

Maybe Aeon keeps track of these people, maybe they don't. They do seem to be the folks that Mercer is most interested in back in the 1920's.

I suspect there are probably quite a few daredevils in the Nova Age. Some of them may even be noticed for their crazy behavior. For example those nuts who are sure they are latent novas and keep indulging in life-endangering behaviour to get themselves to erupt and surviving. Or the baseline N! reporter who reports on nova battles but somehow never gets killed even when the entire area is trashed. They have the potential to make interesting Storyteller Characters (is s/he not dead yet?) especially if you make one a member of an antinova group with very big guns. (And I mean *very* big)

Tamazin

Archived