Adventure! RPG: Dark Tidings - Chapter 1: The Long Night

jameson (ST)

"Huh." Mia taps on the vase, which promptly develops a crack. She looks around for a device of some kind, some type of super-freezer. "All right, I can't really explain that one. Could have been set up beforehand, since you chose the mark, but all right."

"But understand, ma'am - " And Mia's tone suddenly turns quite serious. "If me being a skeptic is gonna mess up your ritual, you better not bring me along 'cause I'm a skeptic through and through. The day I take someone's word at face value is the day I turn in my press pass because I would suddenly be the most useless reporter on Earth."

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Point taken," Marion concedes. "I spoke a little misleadingly. The central question is: Do you have an open mind? Can you at least consider the possibility that these things are real? Magic is the imposing of will on the fabric of reality. There are people who are not just skeptical, but actively hostile to these truths...and who unwittingly work against them with their minds and souls."

She nods. "But if you are content to let what happens happen, without trying to impose your own order on it, then all will be well, whether you believe or not."

"Point taken," Marion concedes. "I spoke a little misleadingly. The central question is: Do you have an open mind? Can you at least consider the possibility that these things are real? Magic is the imposing of will on the fabric of reality. There are people who are not just skeptical, but actively hostile to these truths...and who unwittingly work against them with their minds and souls."

She nods. "But if you are content to let what happens happen, without trying to impose your own order on it, then all will be well, whether you believe or not."

There was a moment of silence, then Daphne looked up. "Go, now?" she asked, her fingers running through the hellhound's red-tinted black fur. Spot licked his chops, his ears perking up as he caught Daphne's eagerness. "Get ingredients?"

There was a moment of silence, then Daphne looked up. "Go, now?" she asked, her fingers running through the hellhound's red-tinted black fur. Spot licked his chops, his ears perking up as he caught Daphne's eagerness. "Get ingredients?"

"We can split up and gather resources," Janos suggested. "Maybe two or three groups? Ben Able could lead one group and Marion the other. It is probably the best way to make sure there are no miscommunications in what we need and what we get."

He looks around the group.

"Herr Abel, it is probably best if Miss Catori with you. Miss Foster could go with Miss Marion to better explain what is going to happen with the elements we are looking for - a real live mystical treasure hunt."

"It is probably best if Ms. Daphne goes with Miss Foster as well. Herr Bannister, you chose what group you want to, " he doesn't so protect, but its pretty clear he means it that way, "be with and I'll go with the other."

"We can split up and gather resources," Janos suggested. "Maybe two or three groups? Ben Able could lead one group and Marion the other. It is probably the best way to make sure there are no miscommunications in what we need and what we get."

He looks around the group.

"Herr Abel, it is probably best if Miss Catori with you. Miss Foster could go with Miss Marion to better explain what is going to happen with the elements we are looking for - a real live mystical treasure hunt."

"It is probably best if Ms. Daphne goes with Miss Foster as well. Herr Bannister, you chose what group you want to, " he doesn't so protect, but its pretty clear he means it that way, "be with and I'll go with the other."

Marion holds up a hand.

"Splitting up is fine, but be aware that I won't be going with you. I have other things I have to do. I'll meet you at the docks."

She smiles fondly at Daphne and adds, "I also think either Catori or Ben should be with Daphne at any given moment. They have some experience with her. She can be a handful."

"Besides that, I leave it to you."

Marion holds up a hand.

"Splitting up is fine, but be aware that I won't be going with you. I have other things I have to do. I'll meet you at the docks."

She smiles fondly at Daphne and adds, "I also think either Catori or Ben should be with Daphne at any given moment. They have some experience with her. She can be a handful."

"Besides that, I leave it to you."

Arch speaks up after listen to Janos, and Marion's suggestions.

"I have a little experience with this sort of thing so I don't have a problem taking some of you with me. Ben's gonna be busy trying to get the docks secured I gather."

"I also agree that perhaps Daphne should be around Catori or Ben. I'm not sure that I'd be able to handle her and Spot by myself."

Arch speaks up after listen to Janos, and Marion's suggestions.

"I have a little experience with this sort of thing so I don't have a problem taking some of you with me. Ben's gonna be busy trying to get the docks secured I gather."

"I also agree that perhaps Daphne should be around Catori or Ben. I'm not sure that I'd be able to handle her and Spot by myself."

Catori remained very calm and reclusive during the preparations for the ritual accompanying Ben like the Count suggested. She had taken some herbs from her private little garden which should ease the minds of those who had been too nervous and bolster the confidence of the fearful.

Once it became clear that it would be more adviseable to stay close to Daphne and Spot Catori gladly accepted that suggestion and joined with Daphne. She didn't speak much that evening though, watching closely if anything was amiss. She prepared herself mentally for the task they were about to start and hoped that the spirits would be merciful tonight.

Catori remained very calm and reclusive during the preparations for the ritual accompanying Ben like the Count suggested. She had taken some herbs from her private little garden which should ease the minds of those who had been too nervous and bolster the confidence of the fearful.

Once it became clear that it would be more adviseable to stay close to Daphne and Spot Catori gladly accepted that suggestion and joined with Daphne. She didn't speak much that evening though, watching closely if anything was amiss. She prepared herself mentally for the task they were about to start and hoped that the spirits would be merciful tonight.

"Excellent Miss Foster, if you can arrange that that will free up the rest of us quite well."

"Here's what I would suggest," Ben said, turning to Rakozi, "Count Rakozi, you have a personal car, yes? I recommend you head the party to pick up the metal components. Golde's Jewellers in the North End should be able to give us most of the metals on the list in the forms we need, and I'm happy to provide the money for that expedition."

Ben then turned towards Daphne. "Daphne, it might be better you to go with the Count - There's a lot of very valuable goods you'll be picking up, the more defense we can throw at that group, the better. And in that case, Ms Catori," said Ben, looking at Catori, "you had best go with the Count, I think."

Ben moved to address everyone again. "I'll take my car to Chinatown - I can't think of anywhere else where we'll find powdered horn, and we should be able to find nightshade there too, maybe even the white animal - Chinatown is a downright bizarre little place." At this point, Ben looked towards Arch. "Arch, I'd like you to come with me, I recall that you know Chinatown quite well - at least you gave that impression last time we were there."

"The last two objects are the Holy Water and the Ash Candle - I can probably find a chandler in Chinatown, it's just the ash I'm worried about, since I don't have any on hand, although there may be somewhere in Chinatown that deals in that as well. Count Rakozi, Perhaps you can acquire the holy water? There's a few cathedrals you can try, it shouldn't be too difficult to acquire..."

"Excellent Miss Foster, if you can arrange that that will free up the rest of us quite well."

"Here's what I would suggest," Ben said, turning to Rakozi, "Count Rakozi, you have a personal car, yes? I recommend you head the party to pick up the metal components. Golde's Jewellers in the North End should be able to give us most of the metals on the list in the forms we need, and I'm happy to provide the money for that expedition."

Ben then turned towards Daphne. "Daphne, it might be better you to go with the Count - There's a lot of very valuable goods you'll be picking up, the more defense we can throw at that group, the better. And in that case, Ms Catori," said Ben, looking at Catori, "you had best go with the Count, I think."

Ben moved to address everyone again. "I'll take my car to Chinatown - I can't think of anywhere else where we'll find powdered horn, and we should be able to find nightshade there too, maybe even the white animal - Chinatown is a downright bizarre little place." At this point, Ben looked towards Arch. "Arch, I'd like you to come with me, I recall that you know Chinatown quite well - at least you gave that impression last time we were there."

"The last two objects are the Holy Water and the Ash Candle - I can probably find a chandler in Chinatown, it's just the ash I'm worried about, since I don't have any on hand, although there may be somewhere in Chinatown that deals in that as well. Count Rakozi, Perhaps you can acquire the holy water? There's a few cathedrals you can try, it shouldn't be too difficult to acquire..."

Forty minutes later the group had split apart. Marion retreated into the library to complete the research for the summoning ritual as well as working out the requirements for the spell of forced opening. As she entered the library a spectral form coalesced in front of her though it did not speak Marion was aware of its questions to her, How may I assist you master?

The others boarded the ferry to the mainland and were soon in their way. Mia, Ben, and Archibald piled into Ben’s Packard once more, stopping fist the Police headquarters where Mia disembarked. As Ben and Arch drove off to Chinatown Mia entered the police station as she had so many time before. This time though she had bribe money in pocket and a falsified story on her lips. The sergeant looked up and saw Mia, he smiled as he always did. “Ms. Foster, I wasn’t aware that anything newsworthy was happening today, what can I do for you?”

Arch and Ben meanwhile parked the car in Chinatown, it would be easier to read the signs and ask the people on the street from the sidewalk as opposed to the car. Arch took the lead, knowing of a seller who might have what they were looking for. Minutes later they stood inside the dark and odorous shop of one Chin Li Fook. Mr. Fook greeted them in heavily accented English, “Goo’afta noon, how I hep you?”

Similarly Janos, Catori and young Daphne found themselves in the shop of one Mr. Armande Golde. Daphne’s eyes danced over the sparkly treasures in glass cases before he though she was distracted by her worry that Spot was not enjoying his time in Janos’ car. In truth neither Spot nor Stephan were enjoying their sit in the car. Despite the incongruity between Janos, Catori, and Daphne Mr. Golde quickly offered a smile to Janos. “Good afternoon sir, what can I interest you in today? Perhaps some fine jewelry for the ladies?”

Forty minutes later the group had split apart. Marion retreated into the library to complete the research for the summoning ritual as well as working out the requirements for the spell of forced opening. As she entered the library a spectral form coalesced in front of her though it did not speak Marion was aware of its questions to her, How may I assist you master?

The others boarded the ferry to the mainland and were soon in their way. Mia, Ben, and Archibald piled into Ben’s Packard once more, stopping fist the Police headquarters where Mia disembarked. As Ben and Arch drove off to Chinatown Mia entered the police station as she had so many time before. This time though she had bribe money in pocket and a falsified story on her lips. The sergeant looked up and saw Mia, he smiled as he always did. “Ms. Foster, I wasn’t aware that anything newsworthy was happening today, what can I do for you?”

Arch and Ben meanwhile parked the car in Chinatown, it would be easier to read the signs and ask the people on the street from the sidewalk as opposed to the car. Arch took the lead, knowing of a seller who might have what they were looking for. Minutes later they stood inside the dark and odorous shop of one Chin Li Fook. Mr. Fook greeted them in heavily accented English, “Goo’afta noon, how I hep you?”

Similarly Janos, Catori and young Daphne found themselves in the shop of one Mr. Armande Golde. Daphne’s eyes danced over the sparkly treasures in glass cases before he though she was distracted by her worry that Spot was not enjoying his time in Janos’ car. In truth neither Spot nor Stephan were enjoying their sit in the car. Despite the incongruity between Janos, Catori, and Daphne Mr. Golde quickly offered a smile to Janos. “Good afternoon sir, what can I interest you in today? Perhaps some fine jewelry for the ladies?”

Daphne's eyes were wide as she looked at the jewelry; still, she was aware enough to giggle at Mr. Golde. "No lady here," she said, kneeling before the case of black onyx pieces. "Ooo!" she cooed, pressing her hands and nose to glass. "Daemon eyes!" She looked at the shopkeeper. "How you keep fresh and not glass over?"

Daphne's eyes were wide as she looked at the jewelry; still, she was aware enough to giggle at Mr. Golde. "No lady here," she said, kneeling before the case of black onyx pieces. "Ooo!" she cooed, pressing her hands and nose to glass. "Daemon eyes!" She looked at the shopkeeper. "How you keep fresh and not glass over?"

Catori had a smirk in her face and gave the Count a look that said he should talk to Mr. Golde while she walked over to Daphne.

"They only look like Deamon eyes, Daphne. I don't think the shop owner can afford anything that valuable.", Catori got closer to Daphne and whispered. "Besides that, I doubt they're real. Those can't be real Deamon eyes. People around her can't get them. It's like with Spot. You won't find someone like Spot here."

Catori walked around the case and looked at the jewelry without any real interest. She only tried to keep the Shopowner from asking the wrong questions.

Catori had a smirk in her face and gave the Count a look that said he should talk to Mr. Golde while she walked over to Daphne.

"They only look like Deamon eyes, Daphne. I don't think the shop owner can afford anything that valuable.", Catori got closer to Daphne and whispered. "Besides that, I doubt they're real. Those can't be real Deamon eyes. People around her can't get them. It's like with Spot. You won't find someone like Spot here."

Catori walked around the case and looked at the jewelry without any real interest. She only tried to keep the Shopowner from asking the wrong questions.

"Well, nothing newsworthy IS happening today and I'd like to keep it that way. A few friends of mine need to take care of something at the docks where that man got killed last night October. Relax, we're not muffing up your crime scene and we're not up to shenanigans, we'd just like you to keep it sealed off a little while longer and let us in. We'll remember it when we contribute to the policeman's pension fund..."

"Well, nothing newsworthy IS happening today and I'd like to keep it that way. A few friends of mine need to take care of something at the docks where that man got killed last night October. Relax, we're not muffing up your crime scene and we're not up to shenanigans, we'd just like you to keep it sealed off a little while longer and let us in. We'll remember it when we contribute to the policeman's pension fund..."

The sergeant looks at Mia, studying her face for a moment before scanning the room and checking behind him. "Rather than remember it later why don't you donate right now. I'd gladly accept on the fund's behalf and make certain that it got to them." He speaks quietly leaning toward Mia to make sure that she alone can hear. Then he straightens and says in a normal voice, "That crime scene is no longer closed to the public. What exactly do you and your friends needs to do down there anyways? Does this have anything to do with that murder?"

The sergeant looks at Mia, studying her face for a moment before scanning the room and checking behind him. "Rather than remember it later why don't you donate right now. I'd gladly accept on the fund's behalf and make certain that it got to them." He speaks quietly leaning toward Mia to make sure that she alone can hear. Then he straightens and says in a normal voice, "That crime scene is no longer closed to the public. What exactly do you and your friends needs to do down there anyways? Does this have anything to do with that murder?"

Originally Posted By: Golde
“Good afternoon sir, what can I interest you in today? Perhaps some fine jewelry for the ladies?”

"Perhaps," Janos muses then he shakes his head and looks at Golde like a man befuddled - for a moment. His eyes clear though and he meets the man's gaze evenly.

"Perhaps, but first I need a few items for my own ... research. I require two rods of pure Iron, and two of pure Silver. I also require a container of silver powder, or shavings - one pound. I also require a natural magnet."

He looks over at the gemstones Daphne is examining, Janos taps his chin.
"And an Onyx stone, or at least ten carats, for the young lady to carry."

"You come well recommended, Herr Golde. I hope my somewhat bizarre order will not be of too much an inconvienence."

"Oh, and I need it all by end of business today - say nine p.m. at the latest."

Originally Posted By: Golde
“Good afternoon sir, what can I interest you in today? Perhaps some fine jewelry for the ladies?”

"Perhaps," Janos muses then he shakes his head and looks at Golde like a man befuddled - for a moment. His eyes clear though and he meets the man's gaze evenly.

"Perhaps, but first I need a few items for my own ... research. I require two rods of pure Iron, and two of pure Silver. I also require a container of silver powder, or shavings - one pound. I also require a natural magnet."

He looks over at the gemstones Daphne is examining, Janos taps his chin.
"And an Onyx stone, or at least ten carats, for the young lady to carry."

"You come well recommended, Herr Golde. I hope my somewhat bizarre order will not be of too much an inconvienence."

"Oh, and I need it all by end of business today - say nine p.m. at the latest."

Mr. Golde's eyebrows creep up his forehead at each of Janos' odd requests until finally he merely offers a Cheshire smile and nods. "Most of that will be easy enough to get for you. Though the iron and magnet are not items I deal in." He retrieves a pad and pencil and scribbles a name and address on it. Handing it to Janos he says, "This man ought to be able to help though. As for the rest. If you will wait a moment, I will see that I have everything and you can pay and be on your way directly."

Mr. Golde heads to the back leaving the three of them to look at the various items he has out. He returns shortly with a small wooden box and a pair of half inch thick silver rods. He opens the box, inside is fine granulated silver. "Will this be to your satisfactions sir?"

Mr. Golde's eyebrows creep up his forehead at each of Janos' odd requests until finally he merely offers a Cheshire smile and nods. "Most of that will be easy enough to get for you. Though the iron and magnet are not items I deal in." He retrieves a pad and pencil and scribbles a name and address on it. Handing it to Janos he says, "This man ought to be able to help though. As for the rest. If you will wait a moment, I will see that I have everything and you can pay and be on your way directly."

Mr. Golde heads to the back leaving the three of them to look at the various items he has out. He returns shortly with a small wooden box and a pair of half inch thick silver rods. He opens the box, inside is fine granulated silver. "Will this be to your satisfactions sir?"

The jeweler eyes Janos' wallet discreetly. "Certainly sir. Did you have a specific gen in mind or perhaps the young lady would prefer to pick one out." He walks to the case and opens in from the back removing the tray with the largest Onyx on it and laying on the counter. "These range from fifteen carats here ... to forty-eight carats here ..." He continues indicating the jewels.

The jeweler eyes Janos' wallet discreetly. "Certainly sir. Did you have a specific gen in mind or perhaps the young lady would prefer to pick one out." He walks to the case and opens in from the back removing the tray with the largest Onyx on it and laying on the counter. "These range from fifteen carats here ... to forty-eight carats here ..." He continues indicating the jewels.

Daphne became very serious. She examined each gem closely without touching them, lowering herself until her eyes were on a level with the gems. She stared for several minutes, then touched three of the stones. Next she bent over them, sniffing softly. Finally, she pointed to one, about twenty-two carats. "That one," she said firmly. "That the right one."

Archived