Adventure! RPG: Dark Tidings - Chapter 1: The Long Night

jameson (ST)

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
Marion gives Archie an annoyed look.

"Or perhaps Marion could. If only she were standing somewhere nearby, maybe we could ask her."

Arch brushes Marion's sarcastic remark aside. He is more intriged by Daphne rather cryptic remarks. That's a rather odd remark, wonder where she got that from. "Well folks, I think that should probably take this conversation somewhere more private perhaps. This is after all a birthday party, so let us enjoy the evening!"

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slate nods in agreement, "Perhaps after the clebration then we can meet privately, just the ... ahe ... eight of us." He looks at Janos, Marion, Catori, and Daphne wondering how much they know and assuming that if Ben and Archibald were willing to speak on the subject in front of them that all was ok.

Presently a bell is rung and the guests are moved into the formal dining room for dinner. An exquisite offering of roasted duck confit and broiled Atlantic salmon are the main courses accompanied by all manner of side dishes. The dinner goes by without incident and afterwards all adjorn once more to the ballroom. For after dinner drinks, dancing, and the like.

Some hours later as the Grandfather clock strikes 1 a.m. the guests begin to trickle out. Slate and Ben gather everybody back together within the comfortable confines of the study to continue the discussion from before...

Slate nods in agreement, "Perhaps after the clebration then we can meet privately, just the ... ahe ... eight of us." He looks at Janos, Marion, Catori, and Daphne wondering how much they know and assuming that if Ben and Archibald were willing to speak on the subject in front of them that all was ok.

Presently a bell is rung and the guests are moved into the formal dining room for dinner. An exquisite offering of roasted duck confit and broiled Atlantic salmon are the main courses accompanied by all manner of side dishes. The dinner goes by without incident and afterwards all adjorn once more to the ballroom. For after dinner drinks, dancing, and the like.

Some hours later as the Grandfather clock strikes 1 a.m. the guests begin to trickle out. Slate and Ben gather everybody back together within the comfortable confines of the study to continue the discussion from before...

Seeing that they were settling in for a more quiet evening, Daphne glanced up at Marion and Catori. "Get Spot? He been good," she whispered softly. Her eyes traveled around the room again, returning to the two people who counseled her. "People here seem ok with not-here-normal."

That was another thing that had taken a while to sink into her; the concept that what she'd known was alien and often Completely Inappropriate. So there was Not-Here-Normal and Here-Normal. It'd been a fight for the young woman to understand, complicated by her upbringing.

"And he probably need to go out," she added softly with a concerned expression. Housebreaking the hellhound had been hard enough; they didn't want to stress him any further.

Seeing that they were settling in for a more quiet evening, Daphne glanced up at Marion and Catori. "Get Spot? He been good," she whispered softly. Her eyes traveled around the room again, returning to the two people who counseled her. "People here seem ok with not-here-normal."

That was another thing that had taken a while to sink into her; the concept that what she'd known was alien and often Completely Inappropriate. So there was Not-Here-Normal and Here-Normal. It'd been a fight for the young woman to understand, complicated by her upbringing.

"And he probably need to go out," she added softly with a concerned expression. Housebreaking the hellhound had been hard enough; they didn't want to stress him any further.

Marion pokes her tongue at the inside of her cheek thoughtfully, then glances at Ben.

"Just a little longer," she tells Daphne. "People will start going home soon, and then you can go let him out and play with him all you want."

She leans over a little and says more quietly, though not at all in a whisper, "What did you mean before about the Dead Man's Gift, and talking to his shade?"

Marion pokes her tongue at the inside of her cheek thoughtfully, then glances at Ben.

"Just a little longer," she tells Daphne. "People will start going home soon, and then you can go let him out and play with him all you want."

She leans over a little and says more quietly, though not at all in a whisper, "What did you mean before about the Dead Man's Gift, and talking to his shade?"

"Dead Man... his gift given with his death. Very big, big sacrifice," Daphne said, showing only a moment of disappointment regarding Spot. "If he dead, only way to find out talking to his shade. Dig the hole, make the offering." She considered for a moment. "Human work best. Know his full name?"

"Dead Man... his gift given with his death. Very big, big sacrifice," Daphne said, showing only a moment of disappointment regarding Spot. "If he dead, only way to find out talking to his shade. Dig the hole, make the offering." She considered for a moment. "Human work best. Know his full name?"

Catori nodded briefly in agreement to Daphne's suggestion. "She is right. Asking his ghost may be the only way to reveal the truth or unlock its secret. It is a dangerous journey for those unprepared."

Catori looked at Marion and Daphne, "Have you ever done anything like this before?"

Catori nodded briefly in agreement to Daphne's suggestion. "She is right. Asking his ghost may be the only way to reveal the truth or unlock its secret. It is a dangerous journey for those unprepared."

Catori looked at Marion and Daphne, "Have you ever done anything like this before?"

Mr. Slate looks agahst, "You ladies cannot be serious, there are no such things as spirits and ghosts. One cannot talk to the dead. Honestly, I'm not even sure I believe that those symbols channel magic into the bog to keep it closed." As he says magic he makes little quote marks in the air and rolls his eyes. Apparently the disbeliver he looks to Ben and Archibald for a more rational take.

Mr. Slate looks agahst, "You ladies cannot be serious, there are no such things as spirits and ghosts. One cannot talk to the dead. Honestly, I'm not even sure I believe that those symbols channel magic into the bog to keep it closed." As he says magic he makes little quote marks in the air and rolls his eyes. Apparently the disbeliver he looks to Ben and Archibald for a more rational take.

"I'm not any kind of expert in the manner's of the occult by any means, but I can tell that there is something that is keeping the box closed and it definetly isn't normal" Arch says to Mr. Slate and the room.

He turns to Ben "What do you think? Can your sister really conjure up a dead spirit?"

"I'm not any kind of expert in the manner's of the occult by any means, but I can tell that there is something that is keeping the box closed and it definetly isn't normal" Arch says to Mr. Slate and the room.

He turns to Ben "What do you think? Can your sister really conjure up a dead spirit?"

"Well we're not going to sacrifice a human," Marion says huffily. "What about a seance?"

Daphne shrugged. "Human work best. Goat good too. Important is blood."

Mr. Slate's announcement was met with vague pity. The woman just blinked at him and proceeded to ignore him. There was no reason to get upset. She knew the truth of the matter, and that was all that was important.

Arch's remark caused her to furrow her brow. After a moment, the petite woman shrugged. "Seen it done, once. Hard to do Here, though. Best done in Hell."

"Well we're not going to sacrifice a human," Marion says huffily. "What about a seance?"

Daphne shrugged. "Human work best. Goat good too. Important is blood."

Mr. Slate's announcement was met with vague pity. The woman just blinked at him and proceeded to ignore him. There was no reason to get upset. She knew the truth of the matter, and that was all that was important.

Arch's remark caused her to furrow her brow. After a moment, the petite woman shrugged. "Seen it done, once. Hard to do Here, though. Best done in Hell."

Janos sat back listening to the discussion going on around him. He sympathized with Mr. Slate ... a bit. Had he not seen Daphne and the Hell Gate, he would be much more cynical about talking with the dead. Now? Now he wasn't sure it was possible with the resources available, but wouldn't rule it out either. It even opened up the opportunity to one day talk to the entirety of his own family - even the Mother he never knew.

There was enough of a hint of Trouble here tonight for Janos to have discreetly gotten his sword from Stephan. Now he felt ready for whatever might come.

"Okay," he said finally, "what is this going to take - To talk to this man? We have the book, but who can ... channel the power, direct the search for the right man/spirit/ghost, and protect us all from something Wrong coming over to our side? Do we have what it takes, or are we going to have to get more help?"

"If we don't have the capacity to talk with the dead, what other options are open to us? Outside of all of us going to Hell, that is."

Janos sat back listening to the discussion going on around him. He sympathized with Mr. Slate ... a bit. Had he not seen Daphne and the Hell Gate, he would be much more cynical about talking with the dead. Now? Now he wasn't sure it was possible with the resources available, but wouldn't rule it out either. It even opened up the opportunity to one day talk to the entirety of his own family - even the Mother he never knew.

There was enough of a hint of Trouble here tonight for Janos to have discreetly gotten his sword from Stephan. Now he felt ready for whatever might come.

"Okay," he said finally, "what is this going to take - To talk to this man? We have the book, but who can ... channel the power, direct the search for the right man/spirit/ghost, and protect us all from something Wrong coming over to our side? Do we have what it takes, or are we going to have to get more help?"

"If we don't have the capacity to talk with the dead, what other options are open to us? Outside of all of us going to Hell, that is."

"We should be able to do it here," Marion says, rubbing her forehead. Daphne just had to say that... "We'll need something with a link to the man. Something that belonged to him, or at the very least his name. As for the rest, I'll have to check the book. It will have to wait for the other guests to leave though."

"We should be able to do it here," Marion says, rubbing her forehead. Daphne just had to say that... "We'll need something with a link to the man. Something that belonged to him, or at the very least his name. As for the rest, I'll have to check the book. It will have to wait for the other guests to leave though."

"The name of our dear dead Russian was Nikolai Strakovski," Ben supplied. "Unfortunately, if we need anything that belonged to him, we'll need to visit his motherland - the investigators sent everything back to Russia, alas."

Ben turned to Mr. Slate, in an attempt to reassure him. "Don't worry, the impossible always seems impossible before you see it happen. Believe me, I've seen far more than my share of impossible things in this world. Talking to the dead? Not even close to the worst I've seen."

"The name of our dear dead Russian was Nikolai Strakovski," Ben supplied. "Unfortunately, if we need anything that belonged to him, we'll need to visit his motherland - the investigators sent everything back to Russia, alas."

Ben turned to Mr. Slate, in an attempt to reassure him. "Don't worry, the impossible always seems impossible before you see it happen. Believe me, I've seen far more than my share of impossible things in this world. Talking to the dead? Not even close to the worst I've seen."

"Box he die for," Daphne said. "Very powerful tie to him. Very strong." She crouched down on the floor, resting on her legs, smoothing her skirt discreetly around her limbs so that she was Acceptable... mostly.

"Have name. Have tie. Oo!" She perked up immediately, tugging gently on Marion's dress. "Came back same night he die! Could be other link!"

"Box he die for," Daphne said. "Very powerful tie to him. Very strong." She crouched down on the floor, resting on her legs, smoothing her skirt discreetly around her limbs so that she was Acceptable... mostly.

"Have name. Have tie. Oo!" She perked up immediately, tugging gently on Marion's dress. "Came back same night he die! Could be other link!"

Marion looks down at Daphne and nods absently. Her eyes had narrowed to thoughtful slits as she worked at something in her head. Then she looked at Ben, startled by her conclusion.

"What time is it?" she asked. "It's not midnight yet...we have to do this tonight! Excuse me, Daphne..." She gently pulls her hem free of Daphne's grasp. "I have to get the Grimoire, or it may be months before we can try again! The solstice, Ben! The solstice!"

She hurries off towards the stairs to get to the library.

Marion looks down at Daphne and nods absently. Her eyes had narrowed to thoughtful slits as she worked at something in her head. Then she looked at Ben, startled by her conclusion.

"What time is it?" she asked. "It's not midnight yet...we have to do this tonight! Excuse me, Daphne..." She gently pulls her hem free of Daphne's grasp. "I have to get the Grimoire, or it may be months before we can try again! The solstice, Ben! The solstice!"

She hurries off towards the stairs to get to the library.

Catori tried to catch Marion's eyes and shook her head smiling at her. "The solstice is not before tomorrow night. That should leave us enough time to prepare for the ghost-journey. If you want to I can help with the ritual - my father showed me how to commune with our ancestors."

Catori tried to catch Marion's eyes and shook her head smiling at her. "The solstice is not before tomorrow night. That should leave us enough time to prepare for the ghost-journey. If you want to I can help with the ritual - my father showed me how to commune with our ancestors."

Marion pauses when Catori speaks, and blushes a little when she realizes the other woman is right.

"Even so," she says, "It could take me some time to find and decode the ritual, and then to set it up. I'll be right back."

She continues up the stairs.

It's only a few minutes before Marion returns, bearing a large book bound in pebbled leather, like an alligator's skin might be if alligators were red. Gold embossing makes letters along the spine that teased the eye and mind by almost seeming to make sense, but never quite actually becoming intelligible. The same gold filigree made a diagram on the front cover.

She held it open in one hand despite its likely weight, and was flipping through pages.

"Catori, what will we need for your communing ritual?" she asked as she searched.

Marion pauses when Catori speaks, and blushes a little when she realizes the other woman is right.

"Even so," she says, "It could take me some time to find and decode the ritual, and then to set it up. I'll be right back."

She continues up the stairs.

It's only a few minutes before Marion returns, bearing a large book bound in pebbled leather, like an alligator's skin might be if alligators were red. Gold embossing makes letters along the spine that teased the eye and mind by almost seeming to make sense, but never quite actually becoming intelligible. The same gold filigree made a diagram on the front cover.

She held it open in one hand despite its likely weight, and was flipping through pages.

"Catori, what will we need for your communing ritual?" she asked as she searched.

Catori nodded briefly in agreement. "Yes, our actions should be swift and sharp like the eagles eyes. I will get some herbs from my homeland... everyone who paritcipates needs to be of clear mind and must know the danger that lies before us."

Catori sounded focused and serene. She knew that the easy minded or the uncaring would get easily lost in such journeys. Looking at the men she mentally evaluated who would be of help and who would better stay outside and guard the ritual.

Catori nodded briefly in agreement. "Yes, our actions should be swift and sharp like the eagles eyes. I will get some herbs from my homeland... everyone who paritcipates needs to be of clear mind and must know the danger that lies before us."

Catori sounded focused and serene. She knew that the easy minded or the uncaring would get easily lost in such journeys. Looking at the men she mentally evaluated who would be of help and who would better stay outside and guard the ritual.

Archived