Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 9: Where the Road Leads

Mr Fox

Morgan cleared his throat, "Omar is half right. I studied the records and they did hand out the drugs, but I came across other references that suggest they targeted all novas not just those that went to a facility. Omar, chances are that if you'd stayed on the original timeline longer they would have gotten to you as well eventually. One of the records mentioned spiking peoples drinks or even food at restaurants. I think with the exception of novas that kept a very very low profile and perhaps certain novas that had specific powers that prevented the sterility cocktail from working all novas were sterilized. In effect it was a subtle and insidiously slow form of genocide."

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'll do what I can to help. Though I am sure you are all more than aware that the taint cure is more pressing. Morgan, perhaps we can review after this meeting, either I wasn't aware of this when it was initially discovered and studied or I simply cannot remember, regardless there's nto time like the present ... or is it the future? The past? Bah, I hate time travel!" Andrew's expression is serious despite his joking. Though his taint has forced him into a self imposed exile he understands the simple human urge to procreate, to ensure that one's legacy lives on in future generations. Although most do not catch it a hint of sadness touches at Andrew's eyes. Without a cure, I can never have children. I would be condeming them to this same curse.

"I'll do what I can to help. Though I am sure you are all more than aware that the taint cure is more pressing. Morgan, perhaps we can review after this meeting, either I wasn't aware of this when it was initially discovered and studied or I simply cannot remember, regardless there's nto time like the present ... or is it the future? The past? Bah, I hate time travel!" Andrew's expression is serious despite his joking. Though his taint has forced him into a self imposed exile he understands the simple human urge to procreate, to ensure that one's legacy lives on in future generations. Although most do not catch it a hint of sadness touches at Andrew's eyes. Without a cure, I can never have children. I would be condeming them to this same curse.

"Do you think it could still affect us if we went to one of those timelines?", asked Joani. The thought of losing her fertility made her extremely uncomfortable.

"Yet we need to keep our focus. We've already decided to leave this timeline but now it's important to work out the details... maybe we should put it to a vote?", Joani looked at her gathered friends and tried to raise the spirits with a friendly smile.

"I'm with Steve - lets get Thetis first."

"Do you think it could still affect us if we went to one of those timelines?", asked Joani. The thought of losing her fertility made her extremely uncomfortable.

"Yet we need to keep our focus. We've already decided to leave this timeline but now it's important to work out the details... maybe we should put it to a vote?", Joani looked at her gathered friends and tried to raise the spirits with a friendly smile.

"I'm with Steve - lets get Thetis first."

Morgan smiles at Joani, "Yes, it could effect you and Ulric, Amber, Kyria and anyone that wasn't already exposed. But that's only if we don't prevent Thetis from creating her evil little drug. If we stop her before she gets started, there is no risk at all."

Morgan smiles at Joani, "Yes, it could effect you and Ulric, Amber, Kyria and anyone that wasn't already exposed. But that's only if we don't prevent Thetis from creating her evil little drug. If we stop her before she gets started, there is no risk at all."

Lorean nods, "We can do that, it will take a little longer to travel to however. It's a deviation off the timelines we've traveled to before. Maybe three or 4 days worth of jumps away. It could be pretty different though. Depending on WHY there was no Proteus could make for big differences in the other events of the 20th Century."

Lorean nods, "We can do that, it will take a little longer to travel to however. It's a deviation off the timelines we've traveled to before. Maybe three or 4 days worth of jumps away. It could be pretty different though. Depending on WHY there was no Proteus could make for big differences in the other events of the 20th Century."

Even though he had already fathered children, the though of being chemically sterilized was unpleasant.

"Is there a vaccine that we could give to those of use who are still fertile, that would nullify the Proteus cocktail? Vaccines are easier to make than cures." Omar looked sheepish, as if his suggestion was ridiculous.

"That way we could go to a timeline with a Proteus."

Even though he had already fathered children, the though of being chemically sterilized was unpleasant.

"Is there a vaccine that we could give to those of use who are still fertile, that would nullify the Proteus cocktail? Vaccines are easier to make than cures." Omar looked sheepish, as if his suggestion was ridiculous.

"That way we could go to a timeline with a Proteus."

Steve says,

"Getting rid of Thetis would basically do that... and excellent catch Omar on the vaccine idea."

"I should point out that getting rid of Thetis and dealing with the sterility drug are different issues. Our records don't show how it was created. I suspect, but not strongly, that it's a nova creation like Eufiber."

Steve says,

"Getting rid of Thetis would basically do that... and excellent catch Omar on the vaccine idea."

"I should point out that getting rid of Thetis and dealing with the sterility drug are different issues. Our records don't show how it was created. I suspect, but not strongly, that it's a nova creation like Eufiber."

"It should be possible to find timelines where the sterilization was not done, especially if it was a nova creation. Those timelines might provide much better nova medical records as well. It has the added benefit of giving Andrew comparisons between many more second and third generations novas. That should be quite helpful."

"It should be possible to find timelines where the sterilization was not done, especially if it was a nova creation. Those timelines might provide much better nova medical records as well. It has the added benefit of giving Andrew comparisons between many more second and third generations novas. That should be quite helpful."

"A vaccine may be a viable stop gap but I can't just whip one up at the drop of a hat. Unless we are going to spend all our time debating I think we need to start with single discreet and managable goals. We test jump to gold world and see what data we can mine. We test jump to an alternate, proteus free earth, and data mine. Etc. until we find what we want, what I need, or we figure out a better plan of action."

"A vaccine may be a viable stop gap but I can't just whip one up at the drop of a hat. Unless we are going to spend all our time debating I think we need to start with single discreet and managable goals. We test jump to gold world and see what data we can mine. We test jump to an alternate, proteus free earth, and data mine. Etc. until we find what we want, what I need, or we figure out a better plan of action."

Omar was surprised that his idea was received warmly. His idea for dealing with proteus would involve a vaccine? It might be worth it to mention his idea to the others.

"If we do find a vaccine, we could beat Proteus at their own game." Omar said as a smile creeped across his lips. "A nova population explosion, despite proteus's efforts, might break the back of the organization. There would be too many of them for Proteus."

Omar was surprised that his idea was received warmly. His idea for dealing with proteus would involve a vaccine? It might be worth it to mention his idea to the others.

"If we do find a vaccine, we could beat Proteus at their own game." Omar said as a smile creeped across his lips. "A nova population explosion, despite proteus's efforts, might break the back of the organization. There would be too many of them for Proteus."

Lorean nodded. "Very well. I have had all supplies brought on board. We can jump now." The two Loreans face each other briefly, one holographic and one physical, they both matched in identical expressions of concentration. Just before they look up at the rest of the room you feel a slight dropping sensation in the pit of your stomachs. Those who have made a time jump with Lorean before will feel the difference from past jumps. This one was much smoother.

After a moment an image appears of a building that some of you have seen before and know to be the secret headquarters of Project Proteus. In this timeline the Proteus building is coated with dust and ash and the atmosphere is thick and noxious and night reigns supereme. A grey drizzling rain falls but does little to clean the building or anything else.

Hologram Lorean addresses the group, "The images you are seeing are from a probe. I sent it down when we jumped in. I don't care to fly down into the atmosphere. I jumped us in just three years after the meteor strike this time since we know when it happened. The records should still be intact, but there is also still the possibility of survivors down there so you will need to exercise caution. We are here before our previous visit so conditions will be worse on the planet than when you were here last. There's a lot of sulfur in the atmosphere and it is gonna be pretty cool down there. It's mid summer right now and the temperature is only 60 degrees in the daytime." She finished up with one last less than cheery bit of news, "Remember that Thetis used a teleportation device to escape to Mars from this facility but that was in the world where the Aberrant war occurred, in this one there was no war. She could still be alive or there might be nasty surprises down there."

Lorean nodded. "Very well. I have had all supplies brought on board. We can jump now." The two Loreans face each other briefly, one holographic and one physical, they both matched in identical expressions of concentration. Just before they look up at the rest of the room you feel a slight dropping sensation in the pit of your stomachs. Those who have made a time jump with Lorean before will feel the difference from past jumps. This one was much smoother.

After a moment an image appears of a building that some of you have seen before and know to be the secret headquarters of Project Proteus. In this timeline the Proteus building is coated with dust and ash and the atmosphere is thick and noxious and night reigns supereme. A grey drizzling rain falls but does little to clean the building or anything else.

Hologram Lorean addresses the group, "The images you are seeing are from a probe. I sent it down when we jumped in. I don't care to fly down into the atmosphere. I jumped us in just three years after the meteor strike this time since we know when it happened. The records should still be intact, but there is also still the possibility of survivors down there so you will need to exercise caution. We are here before our previous visit so conditions will be worse on the planet than when you were here last. There's a lot of sulfur in the atmosphere and it is gonna be pretty cool down there. It's mid summer right now and the temperature is only 60 degrees in the daytime." She finished up with one last less than cheery bit of news, "Remember that Thetis used a teleportation device to escape to Mars from this facility but that was in the world where the Aberrant war occurred, in this one there was no war. She could still be alive or there might be nasty surprises down there."

Omar lets out a deep sigh. "I had forgotted what a smashed world looks like." There was a distant look in his eyes, as he shook his head. "So much death."

Omar looks over towards Joani and Ulric. "I know both of you have seen the videos, but they don't do justice to actually being here."

His eufiber changed to an ashen grey, to match the general surroundings. He begins to do some light stretching; in anticipation of physical exertion. "I am ready to go."

Omar lets out a deep sigh. "I had forgotted what a smashed world looks like." There was a distant look in his eyes, as he shook his head. "So much death."

Omar looks over towards Joani and Ulric. "I know both of you have seen the videos, but they don't do justice to actually being here."

His eufiber changed to an ashen grey, to match the general surroundings. He begins to do some light stretching; in anticipation of physical exertion. "I am ready to go."

*As am I.*

Cody says, even as his powered armor envelops him from it's hyper-spatial storage pocket. His voice coming over the vox systems in the suit is unusual in that it now seems to be coming directly from him.

*May I suggest we warp down in the Cruser?*

*As am I.*

Cody says, even as his powered armor envelops him from it's hyper-spatial storage pocket. His voice coming over the vox systems in the suit is unusual in that it now seems to be coming directly from him.

*May I suggest we warp down in the Cruser?*

"Actually I think I'd rather like to walk." Andrew smiles as thick membranes cover his eyes and his nostrils and mouth seal shut. Over the link he adds, *I'll meet you down there. I've been waiting a while to do something like this.*

Andrew heads to the airlock and allows it to cycle through. Before it does he modifies his body to contain a pressurized air pocket and fills it. Enough to allow him to manuever in space for half an hour. As the airlock opens and Andrew is exposed to the harsh near vacuum his body shifts reflexively compensating for the lack of pressure and the stunning cold. Andrew takes a running leap out of the airlock and with a quick burst of air jets toward the atmosphere, his skin thickening to armor plates to ablate the intense heat of reentry.

Archived