Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 9: Where the Road Leads

Mr Fox

*Sorry Lo...didn't mean for that to sound harsh. It's just that you are so much more than just a ship to us...to me. From what we know your abilities function very similar to our own...quantum tech. We know Divis has the ability to control and even deactivate such things easily. No offense to Michael either but the guy is plain psycho and I know if he even got a hint of you he would put his full focus on stealing you. Time Travel is the one thing Max has that he hasn't been able to do. I shudder at the thought. Really, we care about you, and we can't afford not to discuss the worst case scenario.*

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omar looked frustrated. He didn't like the idea of not being the the most powerful. He also knew that Steve's logic about Mal was correct.

"What is it that we have, that the others do not?" He finally said, hoping that they could find soething to tip the scales in their favor.

Omar looked frustrated. He didn't like the idea of not being the the most powerful. He also knew that Steve's logic about Mal was correct.

"What is it that we have, that the others do not?" He finally said, hoping that they could find soething to tip the scales in their favor.

*We have Lorean.*

Cody gives that a moment, for the team but especially for Lorean, for which it holds a deeper meaning.

*We go to a far future, get the most ultra bleeding edge blacktech we can find. Something that will give us the edge on Mal and the gang.*

*We have Lorean.*

Cody gives that a moment, for the team but especially for Lorean, for which it holds a deeper meaning.

*We go to a far future, get the most ultra bleeding edge blacktech we can find. Something that will give us the edge on Mal and the gang.*

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
*We have Lorean.*
Steve nods and says,

"That's right. Used correctly, Lorean is unstoppable. We've already proven that." Steve motions towards Mike then continues, "But for that to be true we need to understand our strengths and our weaknesses and use the former and avoid the later."

"Worst case with Divis? He teleports to the bridge and threatens to murder every one of us unless Lorean accepts him as Captain. Then while we're still digesting that he drains her batteries dry and then proves he's a stronger Cyberkentic than the Proxies were telepaths. If we're seriously unlucky we also find out he has historical knowledge of Lorean's command codes, which he gets from future Lorean after he wins."

"I'm convinced we *never* saw his "A" game. He didn't fire up N-day until after he was ready. To broadcast his manifesto he took over *every* media outlet on the planet at the same time."

"What makes Lorean unstoppable is future knowledge, past actions, and movement. So no going public with the truth, no bragging that we have time travel or even historic knowledge. We cripple Proteus in the present by taking out Thetis in the past. If we need to act in public it will be as powerful Novas, not as time travelers. We avoid Divis, and if he takes an interest in us we leave and don't come back. We let all the various factions do their thing while we do ours."

*We have Lorean.*
Steve nods and says,

"That's right. Used correctly, Lorean is unstoppable. We've already proven that." Steve motions towards Mike then continues, "But for that to be true we need to understand our strengths and our weaknesses and use the former and avoid the later."

"Worst case with Divis? He teleports to the bridge and threatens to murder every one of us unless Lorean accepts him as Captain. Then while we're still digesting that he drains her batteries dry and then proves he's a stronger Cyberkentic than the Proxies were telepaths. If we're seriously unlucky we also find out he has historical knowledge of Lorean's command codes, which he gets from future Lorean after he wins."

"I'm convinced we *never* saw his "A" game. He didn't fire up N-day until after he was ready. To broadcast his manifesto he took over *every* media outlet on the planet at the same time."

"What makes Lorean unstoppable is future knowledge, past actions, and movement. So no going public with the truth, no bragging that we have time travel or even historic knowledge. We cripple Proteus in the present by taking out Thetis in the past. If we need to act in public it will be as powerful Novas, not as time travelers. We avoid Divis, and if he takes an interest in us we leave and don't come back. We let all the various factions do their thing while we do ours."

"I have to agree with Steve - we shouldn't bother to stay if things don't work out for us. There are infinite possibilities and our focus should be finding a cure for Taint. Maybe it could be used on Divis Mal or other extremely deranged Novas? It could be a solution to the problem on a larger scale - assuming his derangement is derived from his Taint.", Joani was still thinking something up as she spoke.

"What if we ask Amber to help us in our first try? - She could help us collect data and finding out if your idea is having the desired effect or do precogs cancel eachother out?"

"I have to agree with Steve - we shouldn't bother to stay if things don't work out for us. There are infinite possibilities and our focus should be finding a cure for Taint. Maybe it could be used on Divis Mal or other extremely deranged Novas? It could be a solution to the problem on a larger scale - assuming his derangement is derived from his Taint.", Joani was still thinking something up as she spoke.

"What if we ask Amber to help us in our first try? - She could help us collect data and finding out if your idea is having the desired effect or do precogs cancel eachother out?"

"Ok," Omar says, his bushy brow making dark furrows in his forehead. "So we find a timeline in which non of us exist, and go there. We try different things until one of them works."

"And if Divis become too much of a hassle, we always have the quantum dampener we got from Thetis."

"Ok," Omar says, his bushy brow making dark furrows in his forehead. "So we find a timeline in which non of us exist, and go there. We try different things until one of them works."

"And if Divis become too much of a hassle, we always have the quantum dampener we got from Thetis."

*It may not work on him Omar, since he has shown resistance to that kind of thing. I agree we should deal with Theits in the "past" In the "present" I suggest we have Lorean teleport us to Earth from far far away and hide herself while we lay the groundwork for our mission. Andrew sets up his lab, Steve takes over business and i reestablish my contacts. Omar, you and Joani still get to play our face team with your photgenicity and raw power. Ulric, of course, will get involved with politics. Lorean's avatar and I will use our computer wizardry to give us all new identities and enough history to throw off the scent that we apeared from nowhere.*

*Are we sure we don't want to get tech from the far future first?*

*It may not work on him Omar, since he has shown resistance to that kind of thing. I agree we should deal with Theits in the "past" In the "present" I suggest we have Lorean teleport us to Earth from far far away and hide herself while we lay the groundwork for our mission. Andrew sets up his lab, Steve takes over business and i reestablish my contacts. Omar, you and Joani still get to play our face team with your photgenicity and raw power. Ulric, of course, will get involved with politics. Lorean's avatar and I will use our computer wizardry to give us all new identities and enough history to throw off the scent that we apeared from nowhere.*

Amber had got an interested look in her eye when Andrew had made his offer but she hadn't said anything. In response to Joani she says,

"Oh, I wouldn't miss coming. But my powers are like Steve's luck, sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. I can never be sure if it's just chance or if it's not working because it just can't work. Call it uncertainty, call it free will, sometimes it just doesn't work and 'why' is only a guess. Also I've never tried seeing across timelines."

"I should mention I can do a day easy. Sometimes I get a week, rarely a year. For this sort of thing a year isn't long enough."

"Precog conflict is... complicated. We don't cancel out, any more than two good chess players cancel each other out. One of us will see farther, or better, or as Steve would say, will just have better cards. Knowing the future isn't the same as being able to do anything about it."

Amber had got an interested look in her eye when Andrew had made his offer but she hadn't said anything. In response to Joani she says,

"Oh, I wouldn't miss coming. But my powers are like Steve's luck, sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. I can never be sure if it's just chance or if it's not working because it just can't work. Call it uncertainty, call it free will, sometimes it just doesn't work and 'why' is only a guess. Also I've never tried seeing across timelines."

"I should mention I can do a day easy. Sometimes I get a week, rarely a year. For this sort of thing a year isn't long enough."

"Precog conflict is... complicated. We don't cancel out, any more than two good chess players cancel each other out. One of us will see farther, or better, or as Steve would say, will just have better cards. Knowing the future isn't the same as being able to do anything about it."

"Won't that pose the same danger as going to any other timeline? I mean you said we have to consider Precogs wherever or whenever we jumpt - they do exist in the far future, too? This conversation already endangers the mission as the probability for us to go to the far future to get advanced tech will be foreseen...", Joani shook her head somewhat annoyed.

"This line of thought would condemn us to inactivity... I suppose limiting the jumps to an absolute minimum will be most effective for us?"

"Won't that pose the same danger as going to any other timeline? I mean you said we have to consider Precogs wherever or whenever we jumpt - they do exist in the far future, too? This conversation already endangers the mission as the probability for us to go to the far future to get advanced tech will be foreseen...", Joani shook her head somewhat annoyed.

"This line of thought would condemn us to inactivity... I suppose limiting the jumps to an absolute minimum will be most effective for us?"

*We don't have to go to a future with Novas. I only mentioned because Lorean has been due for a martial upgrade for some time. The idea was tabled when we got "stuck" here but now that we're going big again I'd like to be prepared for any serious space-based resistance we might encounter...including the possibiolity of hostile Watchers.*

*We don't have to go to a future with Novas. I only mentioned because Lorean has been due for a martial upgrade for some time. The idea was tabled when we got "stuck" here but now that we're going big again I'd like to be prepared for any serious space-based resistance we might encounter...including the possibiolity of hostile Watchers.*

Lorean frowned, "I don't think I could fire on the Watchers, Cody. They were my creators; that would be like you firing on your parents. I owe them my existence. I would like to upgrade my offenses though. We don't need to purchase or barter for them or risk exposure. We just need to go somewhere that they exist and I'll hack their systems and download the schematics and create the weapons myself. There is risk in it, but the risk is minimal compared to negotiating with advanced possibly tainted future novas." She looks to Steve, "Would that be enough of a test for you?"

Lorean frowned, "I don't think I could fire on the Watchers, Cody. They were my creators; that would be like you firing on your parents. I owe them my existence. I would like to upgrade my offenses though. We don't need to purchase or barter for them or risk exposure. We just need to go somewhere that they exist and I'll hack their systems and download the schematics and create the weapons myself. There is risk in it, but the risk is minimal compared to negotiating with advanced possibly tainted future novas." She looks to Steve, "Would that be enough of a test for you?"

Lorean blinks in surprise. "I really don't think I am. I don't have access to much data, but from the little I have, I know I was originally created by the Watchers a very long time ago, but don't have any memories from that first life. The original 'me' was killed in a battle with Aliens in orbit around Iaepetus several thousand years ago. Then the watchers brought me to life within the original body that housed the original 'me' when you all got too curious and stumbled onto their secret. I'm sorry I can't say more, but I don't even know what the name of the original me was. I would really like to know more of my own history." Lorean seems a little disturbed by this line of discussion. "I'm sorry, I try to avoid thinking about this, the more time passes the more I really feel the lack of knowledge about my own past."

Lorean blinks in surprise. "I really don't think I am. I don't have access to much data, but from the little I have, I know I was originally created by the Watchers a very long time ago, but don't have any memories from that first life. The original 'me' was killed in a battle with Aliens in orbit around Iaepetus several thousand years ago. Then the watchers brought me to life within the original body that housed the original 'me' when you all got too curious and stumbled onto their secret. I'm sorry I can't say more, but I don't even know what the name of the original me was. I would really like to know more of my own history." Lorean seems a little disturbed by this line of discussion. "I'm sorry, I try to avoid thinking about this, the more time passes the more I really feel the lack of knowledge about my own past."

*A good question Joani, and one I brought up a century ago, well before we arrived on this timeline. After all, if they are called Watchers I am certain they would have been watching us this whole time. I realize it would probably be counter to your nature to fire upon your creators Lo. I think what I meant had more to do with their mysterious enemy. After all, you were born from the destroyed husk of your predecessor. If we are getting into Watcher territory, we need to be prepared to deal with their enemies...especially if they recognize your design.*

*A good question Joani, and one I brought up a century ago, well before we arrived on this timeline. After all, if they are called Watchers I am certain they would have been watching us this whole time. I realize it would probably be counter to your nature to fire upon your creators Lo. I think what I meant had more to do with their mysterious enemy. After all, you were born from the destroyed husk of your predecessor. If we are getting into Watcher territory, we need to be prepared to deal with their enemies...especially if they recognize your design.*

Steve answers,

"The Watchers don't bother me. If they were hostile they'd have let us know. I am concerned Lorean's sister got taken out. That means someone has the power and motivation to do that, which implies they could also do so to Lorean. So yes, I'm also very interested in an offensive upgrade."

"As for a test, I think that sounds like an excellent plan Lorean. So... deal with Thetis first, then go up the timeline in a non-nova place to see what weapons are available?"

"I'm only suggesting Thetis first because I suspect we're going to do it anyway."

Steve answers,

"The Watchers don't bother me. If they were hostile they'd have let us know. I am concerned Lorean's sister got taken out. That means someone has the power and motivation to do that, which implies they could also do so to Lorean. So yes, I'm also very interested in an offensive upgrade."

"As for a test, I think that sounds like an excellent plan Lorean. So... deal with Thetis first, then go up the timeline in a non-nova place to see what weapons are available?"

"I'm only suggesting Thetis first because I suspect we're going to do it anyway."

Originally Posted By: Courier
Steve says slowly... "Yes. Thank you. I'd like that." Amber had got an interested look in her eye when Andrew had made his offer but she hadn't said anything.

Andrew at best half listens to most of the conversation. Later he could mentally review it but the revelation from Steve and the look from Amber had started Andrew's mental processes turning. "Wait ... Steve, does your fertility have anything to do with ... umm Proteus? Because if it does that's another good reason to raid their files for as much as we can take. Omar clearly was not affected on your homeworld ... Cody?" He looks at the man across the table with a questioning look. My god, were they trying to silently exterminate the species?

Originally Posted By: Courier
Steve says slowly... "Yes. Thank you. I'd like that." Amber had got an interested look in her eye when Andrew had made his offer but she hadn't said anything.

Andrew at best half listens to most of the conversation. Later he could mentally review it but the revelation from Steve and the look from Amber had started Andrew's mental processes turning. "Wait ... Steve, does your fertility have anything to do with ... umm Proteus? Because if it does that's another good reason to raid their files for as much as we can take. Omar clearly was not affected on your homeworld ... Cody?" He looks at the man across the table with a questioning look. My god, were they trying to silently exterminate the species?

Steve responds grimly, with just a hint of old pain,

"I erupted a few months before Omar did. Proteus had more of a chance, and more time, to get to me with their sterility drugs. So, yes, they did get to me."

"Some of this is on file already... including that they didn't develop a cure for it. I think we still have a sample of the raw sterility compound. We picked it up with the rest of their black tech in that raid."

Steve responds grimly, with just a hint of old pain,

"I erupted a few months before Omar did. Proteus had more of a chance, and more time, to get to me with their sterility drugs. So, yes, they did get to me."

"Some of this is on file already... including that they didn't develop a cure for it. I think we still have a sample of the raw sterility compound. We picked it up with the rest of their black tech in that raid."

Omar heard his name spoken in reference to the sterility cocktail. "We know now that they dispensed the sterility compund at the Utopian facilities....Rash..something or other. Anyways, they put the drug into other drugs they gave to newly erupted nova. I did not go to one of those places after my eruption. Therefore I never received the sterility drug."

He looked at Steve and Amber, trying his best to hide his sadness. They would never have children unless there was some way to reverse the drugs effects.

"Andrew, is it possible to synthesize an antidote for the sterility drug? I'd like Steve and Amber to get started on my great-grandkids." He gave his grandchildren a wink and a big smile.

Omar heard his name spoken in reference to the sterility cocktail. "We know now that they dispensed the sterility compund at the Utopian facilities....Rash..something or other. Anyways, they put the drug into other drugs they gave to newly erupted nova. I did not go to one of those places after my eruption. Therefore I never received the sterility drug."

He looked at Steve and Amber, trying his best to hide his sadness. They would never have children unless there was some way to reverse the drugs effects.

"Andrew, is it possible to synthesize an antidote for the sterility drug? I'd like Steve and Amber to get started on my great-grandkids." He gave his grandchildren a wink and a big smile.

Morgan cleared his throat, "Omar is half right. I studied the records and they did hand out the drugs, but I came across other references that suggest they targeted all novas not just those that went to a facility. Omar, chances are that if you'd stayed on the original timeline longer they would have gotten to you as well eventually. One of the records mentioned spiking peoples drinks or even food at restaurants. I think with the exception of novas that kept a very very low profile and perhaps certain novas that had specific powers that prevented the sterility cocktail from working all novas were sterilized. In effect it was a subtle and insidiously slow form of genocide."

Archived