Changeling-Earth 2: Freehold Earth - [Poll]Durances

Dawn OOC

'Durance' is the time spent with your fae Keeper. They are almost never remembered once you return; they usually only surface in your dreams once your Wyrd is high enough.

In our game, we have a few ways to handle it, especially as we have a "mixed party." As we are approaching the time that people will be taken, we need to decide what is the best way to handle this.

Option 1: Fast forward - everyone gets jumped forward in time during the durances. The durances themselves are not greatly detailed, but loosely outlined.

Option 2: Hurry up and smell a flower (just one) - again, a lot of time is brushed past, but each durance will get a definiative story designed to give them an overview. Meanwhile, the humans left behind will get their own plot to work on.

Option 3: What's the rush already? - We let the durances play out as they will, not pushing anyone. Some will be done and escape faster; some will be gone a long time. Meanwhile, the humans will get their own problems and plots to deal with until the PCs return.

Then, a second poll: public Durances or private ones? Being public will allow all to enjoy them, but private ones will allow the PC to draw them out as they want, to give some shocks or some twists when some things are revealed.

I voted for the second option in the first poll, because I think it's important to develop each character and the Durance is an important part of a Changeling's existence. I don't want to skip it completely. I also think, however, that in a PbP game, people can easily get distracted or left behind, and I want to see the activity level remain relatively high.

I voted for privacy, as well, because as much as I love reading what's going on with everyone, I love little plot twists and secrets even more. Having something revealed long after it happens can stir up some excellent RP and character development opportunities.

We suggest starting the durances private, but then opening them to the public when they are complete, if the player and GM agree to.

Otherwise, they can be made public after the secrets in them come out during play.

I plan on Adam being a mortal for quite some time, at least until I understand the rules better.

Flower Smelling: Becoming a changeling should be a RPed experience, don't think that those will be playing monstrous freaks of nature that defy all the laws of reality should have that taken away. Give the Carny Folk some fun time. smile

Private: I'm in bed with Helena on this one. That and I think it prevents meta-gaming. Secrets are great and should used to destroy us as often as possible. smile

Archived