Adventure! RPG: Dark Tidings - Prologue: Darkness Falls

jameson (ST)

Marion nods, relieved that something of the child that left is still inside her. She wasn't sure about the circumstances now surrounding Daphne...she didn't think she'd ever seen or heard of her mother, but surely there were other relatives.

Explaining things might be...a TOUCH tricky, of course.

"Give the food you just had a little time to settle first," Marion says to Daphne as she thinks. Later it would appall her to hear how much she sounded like her own mother. "You don't want to eat too much at once."

Then an idea occurred to her. "Would you like to see your room, Daphne? Your home?"

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As if she waited for her cue Catori smiled at Marion with approval. She stood up slowly still offering with one hand to guide Daphne and with the other she implied that the Count should remain calm.

Catori didn't say a word instead she led her body language speak for herself. She moved carefully and radiated a peaceful state of mind. She waited for Daphne to take her offered hand or give any other sign of agreeing to follow Marion and her.

Movie Man? What does that mean?

"I have sent for more food," he volunteers.

To Marion and Catori, Janos says in a low voice,

"Did she live on the grounds, or at a seperate address? If elsehwere, maybe I should have a car brought around. My servant can drive us."

"If an address is needed, I'm sure someone will provide it," he said, musing a bit to himself.

"Anyway ... Daphne, do you want me to leave now?"

Daphne looked at the door and grinned. Without answering anyone in the room, she walked over to the door and opened it. Spot remained on her heels, sniffing at everything in a way that was disconcertingly similar to a dog. "Stairs go up," she explained to them when she'd opened the door and looked up. And then she did just that - walked up the stairs, staring at the comfortable place in which she'd found herself. "Out," she said, pointing toward a door, walking toward it.

She seemed intent on going outside, and Spot was hot on her heels.

Shoving Ben into the driver's seat Arch yanked the box out of his hands and tossed it into the spacious backseat. Mia all but leapt into the car through the backwards opening rear door as Archibald himself clambored into the front passenger seat. Ben closed his own door with a soft "thunk" before he jammed his keys into the ignition and the engine roared to life.

Outside on the dock the confused Russians stood around the body and called out to the small group, Ben could hear them and they were simply wondering what had happened and what was going on. Heedless he put foot to accelerator and the car roared off, it's massive engine churning out more than enough torque and horespower to move the great car quickly to speed.

Ben looked back at the Russians, a little saddened by the need for the quick exit, but aware of the urgency. After all, there was a serious issue here that needed deciphering, and time could well be of the essence. He piped up in the car.

"Miss," Ben started, "My name is Benjamin Abel, and this is my friend Archibald Bannister. I figured since we have at least a few minutes of driving that pleasantries were in order. Us Abels believe that Pleasantries may wait until after the action when necessary. So, Miss, err?"

Ben laughed at Mia's pointed comments as he drove. Mia clearly did not know Ben particularly well at all. "Well, Miss Foster, you of all people should know that the Abels are well-known as one of the most eccentric families of Boston. After all, we actually leave the harbour every now and then, that alone must scandalise!" The comment had not a trace of bitterness to it - Ben clearly enjoyed the status. "None of us Abels are particularly worried about the censure of our peers, Miss Foster - We enjoy our lives far too much for that."

Ben paused for a moment as he navigated a tight corner. "As for dead bodies, I've seen more than a few in my journeys, comes with the field work in this day and age, although granted I find myself around far fewer in Boston. And I'm afraid any shady deals here are not more than a figment of your imagination - Our dearly deceased was merely hoping to have a few experts from the Aeon Society examine what was in that box. Which I'll kindly ask you not to open until we reach said the chapter of said Society, and certainly not while in this car - I've no idea what is in there, and I'd rather wait until in equipped surrounds before finding out."

[[OOC: 2 Inspiration for a little dramatic editing to help catch up with that Car! A bit of brief traffic to slow it down a little, enough to be able to pick up the car's scent to begin the chase!]]

Originally Posted By: Lily
"Yes, they...oh...oh wait. Daphne? We need to talk about...Daphne, you can't take Spot..."

Marion gives Catori a worried look, and hurries after the girl.

Catori’s assessment of the situation was the same. She nodded at Marion towards the door her eyes moving along the path which Marion should intercept.

“Daphne, we cannot go outside with Spot. I’m sorry but outside is not Spot’s world. The death of many lies beyond that door if you go with him, maybe even yours. Please, trust me.”

(ooc: I suppose making a rapport roll, Catori’s intention are not to command her, she tries to gain her trust emotionally]

Janos stands by impassively. If Daphne looks at him, he merely shrugs. Personally, if the moneyed class isn't allowed some eccentricities, then what's the point? Even if the Beast is lethal, it is well behaved. The threat is only for those who act stupidly around it.

He is wise enough at the moment to not offer this contradictory advice to the girl. It is as unlikely that either woman would appreciate it as it is they have any children of their own.

With Ben driving Arch turned to the new companion.

Originally Posted By: Michael McGee
And Miss Foster's the name. Mia Foster."

She flips her notepad open.

As they speed towards the direction of hotel, Arch wonders what the he and Ben have gotten themselves into. Turning to the back seat he address the reporter. "Mia, if I may, what excatly were you doing on the docks tonight? That's no place for a lady to be, especialy by herself at night."

As the three talk the car bounces along through the streets. Ben is forced to take a winding route back to the hotel by the confluence of one way streets and fellow motorists. After some fifteen minutes he pulls up outside the hotel once more and kills the engine. For a moment the car is silent save the howling wind outside. The three look at the box sitting inthe dark corner of the rear seat opposite Mia.

Together they get out of the vehicle and bring the box inside to the small ballroom where the Æon meeting is wrapping up. As they enter Richard Slate looks at first pleased at seeing Archibald and Ben. His expression turns to confusion as Mia comes in behind them and shuts the door. With no sign of the Russian and Ben carrying the strong box his expression deteriorates and he rushes over.

"Who is this and where is Mr. Strakovski?" he asks, more than a little agitated.

At Arkham, Charles catches up with Daphne and the others, "Are you all right? Is there anything else you need?"

Ben turned between Slate and Mia, into picture-perfect introduction position. "Mr Slate, this is Mia Foster of the, err, Boston Globe, I believe, yes? Sorry, it's been a while, I can't remember exactly. And Miss Foster, this is Richard Slate, of the Aeon Society." Introductions, you see, were critical.

After the introductions, Ben turned back to Richard. "Unfortunately, there was an... incident at the docks. Mr Strakovski was unfortunately murdered by an unknown assailant." Ben looked rather uncomfortable at this. "It was all we could do to ensure the murderers did not get away with the box! Although we more have Mr Bannister to thank for that! That's also where we picked up Miss Foster - she was at the scene as well."

Ben's curiousity got the better of him. "So, after all that, I must admit that I have a great desire to know what, precisely, is in that box..."

Daphne narrowed her eyes at the three humans following her. "Outside," she grumbled, pointing at the door. "Go breathe. Go run. Outside."

The house was stiffling. It was a trap, a place where she could be cornered and hurt. She needed outside, and from the way Spot's wings shook, he needed the same thing.

Marion chews her bottom lip, considering her words...then squats down a little so her head comes level with Daphne's (not sure how tall she is...might not have to do that :)).

"This world isn't like the one you've been in," she says softly. "The people here aren't used to seeing creatures like Spot. Or people dressed in skins like this."

She reaches out slowly to brush the hide Daphne wears.

"I'm afraid that people might panic if they see these things and we're not ready. Sometimes when people panic, they do things they wouldn't normally do. You -will- get to go outside, Daphne. Just...would you let me get you some clothes first? Regular clothes, like Catori and I have. And Spot...we'll figure something out about Spot. I know you can control him...I'm just worried about other people not knowing that, and being afraid of him."

She searches Daphne's face. "Does that make sense?"

Daphne considered Marion very carefully. "No daemons outside?" Clearly, the concept was foreign to her. When the others assured her that there were no daemons outside, she nodded and said, "Ok."

The sense of victory was immediately tarnished when Daphne began to strip without hesitation, revealing a lean, almost emaciated body. She was also dirty, and as she peeled off skins, she revealed a secondary function of the skins: retaining body odor. There truly are no baths in hell, or at least not in the part Daphne was located.

Arch smiles at Bens words of praise, but his face turns a bit sour when he speaks. "I may have save the box, but the killer is still on the loose inside the city, though I managed to pick up a few number's off the car's license plate before it got away. Looking towards Mr. Slate, "Hopefully that's enough informantion to track down the culprits?"

To Mia Arch asks "So do we get to hear your story now?"

Janos stifles a laugh by turning it into a cough. The cough takes on a life of its own as the dust and odor of the pelts is released into the room. For decorum's sake, he keeps his gaze fixed firmly on the Beast.

"Stephan," Janos called out. Bring me my coat."

While he waited for the servant to arrive, he took off his jacket and extended it in the direction of Daphne.

"It is cold outside," Janos told her. "You will need different coverings to ... blend in and go unnoticed."

When Stephan arrived with his Master's Great Coat, fur lined and rimmed, he gave only the most subtle of shocked expressions to see his Master conversing with a naked girl. Perhaps they expected different things from their lords in the East.

"Your coat sir."

Janos took his coat from Stephan and looked at Daphne with an appraising eye. He rolled up the sleeves a few times and then handed it over.

"This should work well enough for now," he told her.

Janos then looked to the ladies to see if they were having any objections.

The poor thing looks like she's starved...

Marion gives Janos a nod then says, "She can't go outside in just a coat though. I'll find her some proper clothes she can wear for now. I'm sure there's some on the grounds. And maybe a bath too..."

She then offers her hand to each of them; Janos, Catori and Daphne in turn.

"I'm Marion, by the way. Marion Abel. I apologize for my rudeness earlier."

When introductions are done, she makes her way past Daphne up the stairs to seek out at least a simple dress that looks like it might fit her.

Janos' coat was quickly pulled on and the young woman buried herself in its depths, smiling. She gave the Movie Man a big smile, showing teeth that were surprisingly healthy. But she was healthy, far healthier than she should be, so perhaps the teeth were to be expected.

Daphne isn't ablutophobic, it took a while to convince her to get into the bathwater. The idea was clearly foreign, and she kept trying to leave before the process was done. Marion helped her, patiently keeping her in the water, or during those times when she was draining and refilling the tub, in the bathroom. Daphne allowed all of this strangeness to happen, not even blinking an eye when Marion gave up on washing her hair and instead cut it short. Once the long, knotted mess of hair was gone, what was left was washed. Spot watched quietly; he'd insisted on coming in the room with her.

After her bath, Daphne ordered the hellhound in the water too. Grumbling, the canine allowed himself to be cleaned, though he was grumpy about it. The 'wet rat' law applied to him just as much as it did other dogs, and he sprayed the bathroom with water when he shook his coat and wings off.

The only trouble came when Marion brought out the dress and tried to get it on her. "No!" Daphne snapped; when Marion gently persisted, she became petulant and Spot became aggitated. "Won't wear!" she shrieked and bolted from the bathroom, snatching at Janos' over coat again. She pulled it on and closed it around her, looking like a sulking child in her father's coat.

Slate goes pale as Ben tells of the Russian's death, "Dear me, I ... I ... He had said he feared for his life but I figured that it was simply a case of hyperbole. Tell me, did you speak to the police? What have they to say?" Mr. Slate looks agitated and nervous all at once.

Suddenly he seems to grasp the presence of Mia once more, “Mia Foster? The reporter? Lads, you shouldn’t have brought her here, the Society’s meetings are closed to the public as you well know. And Ms. Foster her represents the entirety of the public!” Turning to Mia he offers a forced smile, “Ms. Foster, I am going to have to ask that you do not use anything you see here in a story, Æon’s members enjoy their privacy.”

With Daphne safetly (?) absconced in the bath, the Count does ask Charles for a few things. They will need another Great Coat (for Janos), the address to Professor Walton's house (along with the keys), and a Touring Car capable of taking the six of them (Janos, his servant/driver Stephan, Marion, Catori, Daphne, and the HellBeast. He also inquires as to what authorities and members of the legal profession have been contacted so far. He then returns to the door outside the bath.

No sooner has he arrived than a tense conversations comes from out of the room. He is soon rewarded, if you can call it that, with Daphne storming out naked and putting on his coat.

"Dress no good?" he muses. The solution is as obvious as it is startling for the nobleman. He had even seen a woman, from America, dressed in a pantsed riding outfit before the war. He tries to remember her name, but doesn't have the time to muse. Wasn't that an Abel as well?

"Would you like to wear clothes like mine?" he asks Daphne. If so, we can get you some tomorrow, I promise. First you need to put one some," a moment of embarrassment," um ... undergarments. Those are absolutely necessary."

He tries to make his tone conversational, not confrontational.

"Hell, not much to tell. Got a hot tip that something shady was going down at the docks, which turned out to be true, but not in the way I thought it'd be. Spent twenty whole dollars on that tip too, the little weasel. Oh well. I'm sure something tasty'll come out of it."

She turns to Slate and grins. "So can I quote you on that? Ha, no, seriously: someone died out there. If you're all gonna try to keep a lid on that I can guarantee you it's not gonna work. Tell you what. You help me find out the who, what, and why about that and I'll keep mum about whatever skeletons fall out of the closests here."

Originally Posted By: Count Janos Rakozi
"Would you like to wear clothes like mine?" he asks Daphne. If so, we can get you some tomorrow, I promise. First you need to put one some," a moment of embarrassment," um ... undergarments. Those are absolutely necessary."

"Like coat," Daphne said. "Soft than armor, but heavy to block blows." She ran her hands down the coat, stroking it and pressing it to her body. "Everything here feel good. Coat feel good." She shook her shorn locks, sending the short black curls tumbling. They were too short to even frame her face, but she didn't seem to mind. "Hair and body feel good too." She seemed really happy with her status.

Ben continued from Mia. "So, considering that three heads are better than two in this regard, and that chances are excellent that Miss Foster might be able to secure us a lead, I don't see an issue with her participation at the moment. Besides, I have found that most journalists tend to respond much better to open communication, regardless of whether there's a story or not."

"As for the police," Ben said, a little awkwardly, "I'm afraid Mr Strakovsky's murder took place as we were face to face with him. Some extremely stealthy man managed to get close enough to stab him without a soul at the dock seeing him, after which he grabbed the box and attempted to run, during which Mr Bannister managed to thwart the theft."

Ben straightened his suit coat, and continued. "I expect the Police will have some idea of what happenned when they arrive at the scene, as we departed as soon as we could in case they had other backup. If someone was willing to kill so brazenly for whatever was in that box, it's imperative that it be moved to a safe place!"

Marion finally catches up with Daphne and looks relieved to see her in a coat at least.

"I'm sorry about this," she says to Janos. "This is all...incredibly unexpected and I'm still going in circles in my head trying to decide what to do next. We obviously need to get the police down here, but just as obviously we need to decide what to tell them. I don't think they're going to accept that this is his daughter...and the wherabouts of the child is going to be hard to explain. Not to mention the manner of his death."

She shakes her head. "I need to talk to some of the others in Arkham about this. Do you think you can watch Daphne for a little while?"

Marion directs that question to Catori and Janos both.

A few thoughts about the situation come to mind. Things like woman and undergarments and things Men were not meant to know. But, this isn't the time and Janos doesn't have the words to delicately bring up the subject. Instead,

"You can count on me," he tells Marion.

Helping Daphne was the right thing to do, so recently made an orphan. A gentleman could do worse than listen to his concience.

Catori simply nodded at Marion and looked to the Count. "I will watch over her... and maybe she likes some of my clothes?", Catori looked down at herself and posed a little for Daphne to get a better look at her dress.

Catori was dressed in a traditional native american female dress almost completely made of nubuk/buffalo leather. It was a fine piece of craftsmanship consisting of a slitted skirt that provided enough freedom to move quickly and a matching top that could be tied with fine leather cords over the bosom like a corsage.

"Maybe you can tell us what happened on the other side?", Catori waited for an answer and a reaction to her offer.

"No!" Daphne said, growing impatient. She had told them and told them! "Dresses bad!" She knew it was so; her mother had told her so. The coat was also very dress-like, but Daphne knew she could shed it quickly if she had to.

"Give clothes like Movie Man," she said. "Or give armor back." She crossed her arms and lifted her chin to let them know she was serious. Some of her demands were ruined by the fact that she looked so young and small, floating in Janos' coat. A thin shoulder slipped out of the coat before she pulled it back in. Sternly, she repeated, "No dress."

Slate looks concerned, "Did anybody on the docks get a good look at you folks? If so you should go to the police immediately to make sure this is made clear, if not, well we can play it by ear I suppose." Turning to Ben he shakes his head. "I'll leave the box in your care, we were only providing the professor with travel visas and contacts here, but I do no know whom he was expecting to meet with to discuss ... whatever it is. I trust that you and Archibald can get to the bottom of this. If you need to use outside resources feel free but try to keep the Æon name out of this for now."

He looks Mia up and down as though gauging her, "Ms. Foster, we've turned you away before but clearly I cannot do so now. If you handle this well though I may be willing to soften my policy on this matter, Æon stays private because we do not feel the need to be public about our actions. That said it may be time for us to enter the limelight, in a positive view to the public of course."

Fitzroy sees to it that Janos’ request is filled. On the subject of the Professor and his Daughter he says, “I believe that the professor will be going abroad to study some ancient sites. Sadly he and his daughter will not return from that trip. It is unfortunate that Miss Daphne will not be able to inherit her father’s estate properly but there is little we can do in that respect. No one would believe she is his five year old daughter.”

"I don't forsee any problems with the cops unless they speak Russian. Things went by fast once Mr Strakovsky disembarked the ship, and I'm positve that the other russians will not be able to id us" Arch replies to Mr. Slate.

Turning toward's Ben and Mia, "Well let's open this box, and see what's so important about it. It had better be worth a man losing his life for it."

Janos nods to Daphne.

"We can walk the grounds right now. If the outside isn't too cold, we can go to your house. I mean the house you grew up in before going through the portal. Spot can come with us if you like."

"Tomorrow we can go to a place were we can get clothes like mine, but fitted for you - in your size. You must know this: Spot may not go with you to this place. He must remain here, or at your house."

Janos does smile, but he doesn't show teeth, remembering the snarl of the Beast.

"We can get you some clothes of your own, and a cloak to go with the Coat. How does all of this sound?"

Together the four find a table in the corner of the room and Ben sets the strongbox down taking a good look at it for the first time this evening along with the others. "What are those markings?" Slate asks indicating the symbols and runes carved into the wood and inscribed in the metal bindings. Unable to answer and unable to wait any longer Ben reaches out and tries to open the box ...

... and fails.

Though no lock or clasp is apparent the lid is firmly closed and will not open as though fused or welded shut or perhaps clasped with a mechanism of such cunning that it cannot be made out from the symbols covering the box.

Marion raises an eyebrow at Fitzroy's words.

"Then what will become of Daphne's inheritance?" she asks archly. "And of the girl herself? She needs supervision. It's clear that, for now at least, she won't be able to function in ordinary society by herself. This whole mess would never have happened if the Arkham Society hadn't helped the professor. We can't walk away from our responsibility."

Fitzroy shakes his head sadly, "There is little we can do, the professor played with dangerous power and despite being warned about bringing his child to such experiments he brought her along regardless. Do I feel a certain regret, perhaps but there is little I can do. There is no way that she can claim her father's estate. Were it only her one of the other members would surely take her in, possibly even Mr. Lovecraft, but that beast of her complicates matters entirely too much. Unless you are saying that you are willing to take her in?"

Archived