Star Wars: The Sith War - Could I Get A Final Ruling Please?

DirtyRottenScoundrel

I didn't want to make this a public matter but after a general lack of response from my moderator(Sen Cruinth'ne), I would like a ruling.

1) How often can I make gambling rolls for Brad? ((according to the core rule book, it's 1/day, but see below for my comments on that))

2) What are the rules for those rolls?

-- Are we using the "Against The House" table for the rolls against the house?

-- Are we using the "contested" table?

-- What's going on?

3) Does having 5+ ranks in "Profession: Gambler" synergize with having 5+ ranks in "Gamble"? Or is it the exception to the ruling that was made in the Q&A Thread?

4) I have acknowledged that since gambling 1/day is pretty broken in this setting(if using the default "against the house" table) that it be allowed 1/week, much like Profession. However, if the "contested" table is used, the skill is nerfed quite a bit so if that's the case I would like to be able to use the 'by the book' rules of rolling daily.

5) I have been told that pending a ruling, Profession and Gamble cannot both be used in the same week. Again, if we're using the default "against the house" table, this makes sense. However, if we're not, and there's a decent chance of actually losing money on the roll, then I would like to know why. Could someone please answer this?

6) Rolling: I have been told that we are not allowed to make our own rolls(through Invisible Castle) and yet at the same time I see rolls being made by others. Can I get a final ruling here? Do we roll through Invisible Castle or do we have to find a mod to roll for us?

---------------------------------------------

Basically the reason I'm asking this is because I am finding as I go that there seems to be a stack of house rules regarding this subject that were not made clear to me or anyone else going in. I also would like to know if the character I built, while interesting, is functionally inept (since he can't fight, has no force powers, any of the other "cool toys" that the other classes have, if making money is going to be like pulling teeth, then it's time to remake the character).

If I could get a final ruling on these subjects that would be great.

Point one. Do not piss on my goddamn shoes again. If I haven't responded to you, it's because I've got shit to deal with in my life that's more pressing than micromanaging your munchkinism. A public callout thread isn't going to get your questions answered any faster.

In my games, the squeaky wheel does not get greased; it gets replaced.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted By: DirtyRottenScoundrel
1) How often can I make gambling rolls for Brad? ((according to the core rule book, it's 1/day, but see below for my comments on that))

2) What are the rules for those rolls?

-- Are we using the "Against The House" table for the rolls against the house?

-- Are we using the "contested" table?

-- What's going on?

4) I have acknowledged that since gambling 1/day is pretty broken in this setting(if using the default "against the house" table) that it be allowed 1/week, much like Profession. However, if the "contested" table is used, the skill is nerfed quite a bit so if that's the case I would like to be able to use the 'by the book' rules of rolling daily.

Dave suggested a rather elegant solution, and whether it's because you discussed it with him or because you both stumbled on it at the same time doesn't concern me.

You can make either a Profession; Gambling or a Gambling roll once per week. This is to preserve game balance and to reflect the fact that in a TT game, characters move and have to deal with daily troubles that predisposes their ability to hang out and play pazaak all day. Given the format, abuse is too easy, so it's being curbed. It doesn't have to make sense: it is the rule, and it is being laid down to preserve game balance. End of argument.

Gambling rolls will be contested but pay maximum higher dividends on a win. Profession rolls will guarantee income, albeit less in quantity.

3) Does having 5+ ranks in "Profession: Gambler" synergize with having 5+ ranks in "Gamble"? Or is it the exception to the ruling that was made in the Q&A Thread?

Dave and I apparently have a difference of minds on this. We haven't discussed it privately and come to a consensus yet. In the absence of a consensus, my ruling stands. No, professions do not synergize with related abilities.

5) I have been told that pending a ruling, Profession and Gamble cannot both be used in the same week. Again, if we're using the default "against the house" table, this makes sense. However, if we're not, and there's a decent chance of actually losing money on the roll, then I would like to know why. Could someone please answer this?

See the above note about game balance. You can turn a quick buck by parlaying your talent into a steady stream of safe and subtle wins or you can bet the farm and possibly lose your shirt or walk away with significant coin.

6) Rolling: I have been told that we are not allowed to make our own rolls(through Invisible Castle) and yet at the same time I see rolls being made by others. Can I get a final ruling here? Do we roll through Invisible Castle or do we have to find a mod to roll for us?

It is a Moderator's prerogative to allow or disallow online dice rollers. I don't allow them. If the Jedi and Sith Mods do, they are welcome to do so, they just can't extend that amnesty to my players. If anyone under my faction has been posting online dice rolls, they have, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, effectively been masturbating with numbers.

Basically the reason I'm asking this is because I am finding as I go that there seems to be a stack of house rules regarding this subject that were not made clear to me or anyone else going in.

Don't be coy. You know very well that it's your actions that has forced us to create most of these house rules in order to triage the amount of money that the rules say the world should be hemorrhaging into your pockets. Forgive we humble Mods for not anticipating someone deliberately pulling out at all stops to make the most broken character designed only for revenue acquisition that is possible.

I also would like to know if the character I built, while interesting, is functionally inept (since he can't fight, has no force powers, any of the other "cool toys" that the other classes have, if making money is going to be like pulling teeth, then it's time to remake the character).

If you think that nominally limiting your wealth acquisition in order to not break the game has made your character that was designed to acquire wealth and break the game unplayable, then you're welcome to do as you like. I think your character is quite playable, myself. Moreso than my own PC.

Also, I'm gonna need you to not ever Bill Lomberg me again, 'kaay? That'd be greeeeaaat.

Archived