Aberrant: In the Beginning - Headline News

Titan

March 23, 1998 12:30pm EST

Excerpt from address by President William Jefferson Clinton, consoling the nation from the Rose Garden in this televised speech.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I had not planned to speak to you until tonight to tell you about the ongoing peacekeeping mission in Bosnia, but the events of early this morning have led me to change those plans. We will spend today mourning the loss of nine men and women of the greatest courage and dedication. Hillary and I are disturbed and shocked by the tragedy of the space platform Galatea. We know we share this pain with all of the people of our country, and the world. This is truly a global loss.

Just over twelve years ago, the nation lost six astronauts and one civilian observer in a tragedy following lift off. The Challenger Seven were well aware of the dangers they faced, nor did the crew of the Galatea shirk the risk…"

Excerpt from BBC World News Report. 17:41pm GMT

The American experimental space platform, Galatea, has exploded killing all nine astronauts on board. The six men and three women were just over two years into their orbit when the Galatea blew up.

Millions of people world wide witnessed the aftermath of the world's worst space disaster, as fallout from the satellite’s onboard nuclear reactor created a shockwave that circled the globe. The danger from falling debris is minimal, according to sources at Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX.

In almost 40 years of space exploration fourteen people have died - today that total has increased to twenty-three.

President William Jefferson Clinton has described the tragedy as "a global loss".

The Galatea explosion, the first by a space platform, did not, according to sources at NASA, affect dramatically the flight path of Mir. It is unknown at this time if the disaster will affect plans to make staffing changes at the International Space Station

NASA officials insist safety remains their top priority and there was no indication that any safety measures failed.

Excerpt from CNN Headline News. 12:48pm EST

Commentator: The voice you will hear is that of Navy Lieutenant Commander Cheryl Wilson. Commander Wilson had just joined the crew on the 12th, you’ll remember. Let’s listen.

Wilson: Preparing to fire. Two point three second burst.

Houston: Ok to fire boosters.

Wilson: Shutoff complete. Checking course correction.

Houston: Roger that. Looks good from here. New trajectory consistent with optimum orbit traj-

Wilson: I can’t-

Houston: Say again, Galatea-

Wilson: Command, we’re having some sort of difficulties on board.

Houston: Say again. What kind of difficulties?

Wilson: Lights aren’t functioning properly…diagnostic seems to indicate some sort of…(crackling, popping interference)

Houston: Come in, Galatea…….Can you hear us?

Wilson: Yes….the signs are-(again, crackling interference)

Houston: Galatea, do you read us?

Wilson: We read you, Command. This isn’t…Command, system failure seems to indicate core shielding breach. We…

Houston: Dear God. Hold on, Galatea. Are you sure that-

Wilson: Jesus….Command, we’re gonna…Please, tell our kids-

Houston: Galatea…Galatea, do you read?...Galatea…

Commentator: And that is where it ends. A horrible, horrible day in the American Space program. A horrific day for the world. We turn now to the families of the astronauts. Commander Justin Gregoli leaves behind a wife and two daughters. CNN correspondent Tabitha Evans joins us from their ranch home in Plano, TX. Tabitha?

March 23, 1998 2:25pm EST

Excerpt from MSNBC's Aftermath

The Pakistani President, speaking from Islamabad, denounced the allegations, and cited Indian 'paranoia' as their source. He made it clear that Pakistan was not responsible for the flooding.

In other news, the twin earthquakes which struck Los Angeles and Denver in the early morning hours were unrelated, claims UCLA seismologist Dr. Raymund Funk....

Excerpt from Fox News' Galatea: The Nightmare Continues, 3:26EST

Explosions continue to echo through the city. In light of these possible terrorist attacks, our sources in the Pentagon now confirm that the United States government has declared a state of Defcon 3. We are also told that the President is prepared to place New York under Martial Law until the source of the explosions is discovered. Meanwhile, the fires continue to burn, and we go now, ...uh, live to a camera crew, not Fox News, but a crew that is in the inferno...where apparantly a bus full of children is threatened by the flames.

Exerpt from WKNY live news broadcast, carried live by most world news channels 3:39pm EST

[The view shakes, and is mostly of the ground and a man's legs running. In the background there are cheers and whistles near, but further away we hear an explosion]

Farrell: You got it? You're sure?

Barnes: I got it! I got it! I don't [edited] believe it! Did you see the-

Farrell: I have to see it...wait...go, go!

[The camera jerks up suddenly, and steadies quickly. In the background is a blackened yellow school bus. Kids, sooty and scared, but obviously ok, are being passed from hand to hand by a dozen firemen in full gear. In the foreground, a very dishevelled fireman, face blackened but with pink showing where the sweat has trickled down his face, is being carried between two other firefighters]

Farrel: Sir! Sir!

Papadopolis: Leave the guy alone, let him breathe, for cryin out loud!

Portman: No, it's ok. I'm ok. Man's just doing his job.

[still supported by his collegues, Portman pushes himself up until he is somewhat standing.]

Farrel: What is your name, sir?

Portman: Randel Portman...I'm with Rescue 1, in Manhattan.

Farrel: Mr. Portman...has...have you...what is that that just happened?

Portman: I don't know...I- I just wanted....I don't know

Farrel: But..have you ever...Mr. Portman, how do you feel about what just happened?

Papadopolis: Ok, that's it-

Portman: No, Ron, it's ok. Look, over there, these kids. They're the ones. The ones you should ask. They are the ones who will grow up and become...become something someday. Ask them how they feel. Cause they're the future. I'm just..

[Camera closes in on his blackened, exhausted, face. Brilliant white teeth flash in a tired smile and laugh lines crack the soot around his eyes]

Portman: I'm just the fireman...who is damned glad those kids are still alive.

March 23, 1998 4:45pm EST

Excerpt from CNN’s Wake of a Tragedy

Steve: -keep pouring in from all over the world. So far, Randel Portman is the only name we have, the fireman in New York. But, reports from Washington D.C. tell of a man blowing the front wall out of George Washington University Hospital before flying away in a streak of light. In Nazret, Ethiopia, a woman is reported to have also flown into the sky, and returned with storm clouds which have ended the 7 year drought there. In Rio de Janeiro, at Maracana Stadium, witnesses describe a man ‘erupting’ like a volcano, destroying half the stadium complex, before returning to normal. Finally, witnesses world-wide have described a man of titanic proportions doing the most improbable things. This one seems hard to believe, Jan

Jan: I know. Fighting a seven-headed hydra in Santa Monica? Like something out of a comic book, Steve.

Steve: Well, how easy is it to believe any of this? But thousands of witnesses, separated by thousands of miles, describe the same man. Everything from saving kittens from trees, stopping a runaway ‘L’ train in Chicago, catching and landing a Boeing 767 in Rome… This guy is everywhere. New reports from Tokyo have people claiming to have seen the man again, this time battling… Nope, I’m not gonna say that.

Jan: Steve?

Steve: Look, I like this job, and I'm not saying that it isn't a crazy news day, but I have my reputation. And before I report on NATIONAL TELEVISION that some guy is fighting a 200 foot lizard off the coast of Tokyo, I’m gonna need more than a teleprompter telling me to say it. Wolf Blitzer is next. We’ll be back after this.

March 24, 1998 9:16am EST

Excerpt from The Jordan McDevitt Show

Jordan: And now we have more names... Louis Freeman, here in New York....Juno Reyes, in Los Angeles... Portman, Eisenfaust.... more. C'mon people. Grow up and smell the facts. These are real people, real American people. This isn't some propaganda machine, it's not some string of coincidences. This is real. These people can do these things. It's just... It's been reported in too much detail, by too many people, not to... ah, not to be true. Going to the phones. We have Brett Shannon, from Chicago. Hi Brett, welcome to the show.

Brett: Hooah, Jordan!

Jordan: Hooah. So, are you ready to believe, Brett?

Brett: Heck yeah, I am! You're exactly right, Jordan. Take this guy... the Titan guy...

Jordan: Right. The kitten saving flying man. I know who you mean, the one the pundits and commentators are calling Titan, like some superhero from the comics.

Brett: Yeah, him! They have him at like seven places in one day! How could he do that, if he couldn't really fly. Im... I'm pretty sure he's for real.

Jordan: Oh, he's for real, Brett...And, you bring up a good point. If this is real... If this is happening, if people are suddenly posessed of these... powers, for lack of a better- If it's real, I think treating it like a comic book come to life is dangerously...dangerously naive, Brett. Don't you think?

Brett: I don't...

Jordan: Because there's a danger. There is a clear and present danger there. Thanks for calling, Brett. People, don't fall into that trap. Don't minimalize this thing going on outside your windows. If it's not Armageddon, it's close enough for the girls I go out with. We have to break, but when we come back, I want to talk about this girl in California some more. An American citizen, not even 18 and she's whisked away by some international agency... when we come back.

March 24, 1998 9:21 am EST

Excerpt from Good Morning, America!

Deborah Roberts: -unknown at this time whether the men of the Angkatan Darat have freed themselves from the ice, but the Indonesian Ambassador assures ABC news that the incident in no way inhibits the strength of their armed forces. It remains to be seen if Singapore-

[she breaks off suddenly and puts her hand to her ear, half turning away from the camera. She brings her other hand to her face and slowly rubs her eyes and forehead. Her hand drops from her ear, and she turns back to the camera, her expression a mask of confusion]

Deborah Roberts: Ladies and Gentlemen, we are recieving reports... reports this hour, that...

[her shoulders shake, and though she makes a valiant effort, she breaks. Her face crumples, and naked fear looks out at America. She gasps in breath, then releases it in a heaving sob. Off-screen, we hear some one say her name urgently]

Deborah Roberts:I can't! I can't! I- God, what is going on? Is it... I can't. I didn't become a reporter to wonder what is going on... What the fuck is going on, Stanley? Has the world gone completely-

[suddenly, the shot changes to another view, another desk. Charles Gibson stares off-screen widemouthed for a moment. We hear someone say his name, faintly. He turns smoothly, closes his mouth, and speaks firmly]

Charles Gibson: ABC news has confirmed that another nuclear explosion has taken place in space very near the earth. The cause of this blast is at this time unknown. We take you now to Special Coverage, with a live broadcast from BBC World News, in London.

Deborah Roberts (off-screen): BUT I DON'T FUCKING CARE, STANLEY!

March 24, 1998 9:42am EST

Excerpt from CNBC's Market Watch

Commentator: Wall Street has announced that it will suspend trading on the New York Stock Exchange for the rest of the day today, and tomorrow, in the wake of the second nuclear explosion in space in twenty four hours. This follows yesterday's disastrous day for the Dow, the industrial average plunging more than 1200 points following the explosion of the Galatea, the worst point drop in history.

The financial blood bath hit worst in the market's glamorous high-technology arena, where some of the biggest names in computer, software, and telecommunications stocks- such as Microsoft, Dell Computer, and Viacom- were hit with wave after wave of selling.

This seemed to rattle many other investors, the market freefalling over 400 points in the first half hour the exchange was open today, before trading was suspended. The New York Exchange was seen until yesterday as the last pillar of strength in a global market that has been dragged lower in recent weeks by the economic woes in Asia, Russia, and elsewhere around the globe. That strength, and more than $6 trillion of U.S. stock market wealth, has vanished

The London Stock Exchange also has suspended trading, following the declaration from Tokyo that the Exchange there would not be opening today. The Hong Kong Exchange, of course, has not opened since the island lost power on Monday.

Excerpts from AP Wire Services 7:18-10:01am EST

MANCHESTER, England- Mid-day traffic was halted today for more than two hours due to a growth of foliage in the streets and on sidewalks. Described by one pedestrian as a, "flippin' jungle, ain't it?". While there seems to be little doubt among locals, it is unknown at this time whether this is yet another manifestation of the phenomena occuring world-wide following the explosion of the Galatea space platform.

MOSCOW, Russia- President Boris Yeltsin excused himself from a breakfast this morning with his acting Prime Minister Sergei Kiriyenko, complaining of a pain in his chest. After consultation with his doctors, the Presidents office released a statement that called the pain a 'moderate case of indigestion'

FALKENBERG, Germany- Residents and government officials today are reeling from the discovery that the Karl Bonhoeffer Klinikum, an institution for the criminally insane, burned to the ground during the night, leaving no apparant survivors. Dead are an estimated 40 members of staff, and 282 patients at the facility. Berlin has not yet said whether they plan to rebuild.

BEIJING, China- President Jiang Zemin spoke angrily today about abuses from neighboring Vietnam, claiming that the explosion in space a short time ago was a result of 'stolen technology used to attack China's allies' He called the explosion an 'act of war' by Hanoi, and promised retaliation. He did not say what form retaliation would take.

WASHINGTON D.C., U.S.- President Clinton addressed the nation again today, calling for 'calm in these tumultuous times'. While he urged the nation to be calm, he announced that the administration was grounding all commercial flights in and out of U.S. territory, and confirmed early reports that the U.S. military was now at DEFCon 2.

March 25, 1998 12:01pm

Excerpt from CNN's Wake of a Tragedy:

Commentator: ...take you live to the White House, where Assistant Secretary of State for Far Eastern Affairs, Justin Laragione is addressing the Press Room.

Laragione: Ahem. I will read a short statement, and then I will take a few questions. Yesterday, the Secretary of State and I watched with dismay the detonation of yet another nuclear device in space above earth's atmosphere. The Secretary called the President immediately, and has been conferring with him and the rest of his Cabinet since that time. She asked me, however, to speak a few words to the American People, so that you may know what has happened, what is being done, and what you can expect from the future.

The origin of the device remains a mystery, China's claims of 'stolen technology' notwithstanding. What is known is that a small nuclear device was smuggled into a convocation of scientists and doctors from all over the globe, convened for the express and sole purpose of studying and understanding the phenomenon taking place following the Galatea tragedy on Monday. There was, of course, no loss of life, no property damage, no fallout, and no harm suffered. This was due to the actions of several of the people affected by the phenomena, and one in particular. These men and women showed the courage and resourcefulness to not only save themselves and the City of London, but possibly the human race from the catastrophic war that would almost certainly resulted from this act of terrorism.

I believe, as Secretary Albright and President Clinton do, that now more than ever, the need to understand and cope with those affected by this phenomenon is vital to American and Global interests. We- Excuse me.

[An aide who has rushed in the room approaches the lectern and whispers in Laragione's ear.]

Laragione: Ladies and Gentelmen, the President of the United States...

[The press rise to their feet, as President Clinton stalks in the room]

POTUS:Thank you. My fellow Americans, today I can report to you that a great tragedy has been averted. London stands. Perhaps equally important is that the study of the men and women affected since the Galatea continues. These men and women, perhaps the greatest asset to the human race in the history of the world, are volunteers. They have agreed to submit to testing by the World Health Organization simply for the increase in knowledge for all mankind. We should and do applaud them for that.

Yet we must also keep them safe. I have spoken to Prime Minister Blair, and he agrees with me, that these men and women must be protected from any future attacks. I have authorized DefCon 2, as I announced yesterday. Please rest assured that we are not at war with any nation. We do not anticipate being at war. We will, however, keep these remarkable men and women safe. The skies above London, the seas surrounding the great nation of Great Britain, they will be clear of any who wish them harm.

To those who have attacked these selfless individuals, I offer you this one chance to avoid the same mistake twice. Any further action taken will be met with instant, overwhelming opposition. I have spoken to other world leaders, as well as the Secretary General of the United Nations, and all are agreed. Your act of cowardice will not be repeated, or the might of all the nations of the world will be against you. Do not underestimate the resolve of America or her allies.

America, and the world, still faces great challenges, but we look forward to meeting them. Today, I ask you to be proud of your country and very proud of the men and women who are serving the world by offering their time, and their very bodies, to the advancement of human understanding. God bless you all.

March 29, 1998 11:00pm EST

Excerpt from ABC's Nightline

Koppel: We take you now to London, for a segment we are calling W.H.O Dunnit! Each week, we will profile someone at the W.H.O. facility, and talk about the new abilities they are displaying. Antonia Fuentes has more on the story. Antonia?

Fuentes: Right now, we are waiting for another miracle. We have already seen three today. Richard Stevenson, a Nuclear Safety inspector from Chicago, Illinois is about to heal a boy with leukemia. It's not very dramatic to watch, if the AIDS patient Rich healed earlier today was any indication, but the results are... extraordinary.

There are many of them here. Some, like Shelby Eisenfaust, can fly. Others, like Caryn Sanders, can walk through walls. There is even a man here who can secrete his own clothing from his pores. All of those would have made great television. Richard isn't flashy, he doesn't grow ten stories tall or lift tanks over his head. But, earlier today, I watched him heal an inoperable brain tumor about the size of a grapefruit. It took him under a minute to completely heal the woman, and although it seemed a strain, he was ready to go again in about an hour.

Born in 1953, Richard was the only son of...

• 1 month later...

March 30, 1998 04:21am - 9:04pm EST

Excerpts from AP Wireless Services

BEIJING, China- President Jiang Zemin today, in a stark about-face from accusations earlier in the week, praised Veitnam for 'continued cooperation in the quest to understand the events of March 24'. He spoke at length about Asian unity in the face of 'trying times' in a forty minute speech from Shihu Gardens in the historic city of Weifang, in Shangdong province.

ALGIERS, Algeria- Liamine Zéroual, President of Algeria, promised full prosecution of the 15 men who participated in the Oued Bouaïcha massacre on Thursday. The massacre left 52 people dead, including 32 children under the age of two. He expressed his condolences to the families of those killed, and announced an ongoing investigation as to whether there was any connection to the 11 men murdered at Youb on the same day.

BROOKLYN, New York- Pharmaceutical Company Pfizer today announced that they were in full production of the drug Viagra, a medication treating male impotence, following Friday's approval by the FDA. Viagra is the first male impotence drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

NEW YORK, New York- The United Nations today called a special session on what they have dubbed the 'Galatea Effect'. This is the second special session called since the explosion of the space platform, last Monday. Among those testifying today are Dr. Henri Mazarin, for the World Health Organization, who has been studying the phenomena since immediately following the explosion.

April 1, 1998 11:21pm EST

Excerpt from The Daily Show

Craig Kilborn- Ohhhh... you're gonna freak out on this one. We have a guest tonight who is HOT! Literally on FIRE! Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls... in a Daily Show Exclusive, please welcome... Randal Portman, The Fireman from right here in New York!

(Thunderous Applause, Cheers, Whistles)

Kilby- They LOVE you, man. LOVE! You can't buy that kind of fame. What do you think of all this nonsense?

Portman- It's crazy, all right. But, it's fine. It's great to be back home, if only for the day.

Kilby- So, let's get right to it. You suck. I mean, that's what the scientists say, right? You suck fire? What? That's what they say, isn't it? Whose side are you people on, anyway?

Portman- (chuckles) Yes sir, that's what they say. Sort of. They don't really know how it works yet, but basically yes, I suck fire.

Kilby- SEE! I am always right. How's my hair?

Portman- (laughs) Hair's fine, Craig.

Kilby- Of course it is. So, they're poking and prodding you guys over in Communist England... are they learning anything, or is it just to see how much pain you can take?

Portman- No, they are learning quite a bit. They just aren't necessarily telling me what they're learning. Sorry, Craig.

Kilby- Ok, ok. But you've met the Juno chick, right? Is she as hot in person as she is on CNN?

Portman- Married, Craig... plus, I think she's seventeen.

Kilby- So, you haven't seen our Juno's 18th countdown clock? Not much longer now, Randal, and my crowd is excited!

(Cheers and Whistles from the crowd)

Kilby- Course they're gonna need a lot of Viagra! Ok, Randal Portman, are you ready for Five Questions?

Portman- (Shaking his head) I guess so. You guys are awful.

Kilby- Oh, it's all in fun, it's all in fun, Randal. Ok, here we go...

April 3, 1998 12:25pm EST

Excerpt from CNN Headline News

Anabel: ...will not push back their opening of the Animal Kingdom attraction on the 22nd. Fom Orlando, I'm Anabel Munoz.

Commentator: Thank you, Anabel. In Washington today, the White House announced that after exhaustive conversations with the U.N. and several world leaders, that the military will be downgraded to DefCON 3. Secretary of State Madeline Albright said in a short statement to the press, just a few minutes ago, that the President was 'confident' that we were under no imminent danger of attack, and the heightened state of readiness was no longer warranted. She added that protection of the World Health Organization facilities, in London and around the world, was still an administration priority. The United States military has been at DefCON 2 since the outer atmosphere detonation of a nuclear device last Tuesday. In our world segment, Japan announced this morning that they would delay the opening of the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, due to open on April 5th, citing damage to the bridge resulting from the battle between the Titan Omega and what appeared to be the legendary Japanese movie monster, Godzilla. Costing $3.8 billion, the bridge will be the largest suspension bridge in the world...

April 7, 1998 4:34pm - 11:21pm EST

Excerpt from Entertainment Tonight

Mary Hart: ...went to London in search of the fashion of the fantastic. We've got the photos, and we'll show them to you. What does a superman wear, anyway? Well, here is a shot of Michael Peters, superhuman or supermodel? Wow, ladies, apparantly flying makes you gorgeous! We've had trouble catching him all winged up, but when we do, you'll be the first to see it!

Bob Goen: Here's a woman... we don't have her name, but she's got a fiery temper, as you'll see. This clip has her in an argument with a doctor who is, I guess, trying to take her for a testing session. OH! I guess she didn't want to go!

Mary: Fiery temper, indeed!

Bob Goen: And, uh-oh, fellas.. those clothes aren't fireproof! We can't show you that, though. This is supposed to be about fashion.

Mary: Ok, here's the main accessory to every outfit the superfriends are wearing. You tell me, Bob, is Æon the undiscovered designer?

Bob: I don't know, Mary, but he's very popular with the power-crowd.

Mary: When we come back, you're not going to believe this! What was George Michael doing in a Will Rogers Memorial Park restroom that led to his arrest? And will he finally put an end to all the rumors? You'll find out here, in an ET exclusive.

Excerpt from The O'Reilly Factor

O'Reilly- ...and the planned Citigroup can't help but be good for consumer banking, and for our economy. Now. The U.N. is meeting again, in the third special session of the week. The topic? The 'so-called' Galatea effect. Completely ineffectual, as usual, this international poetry reading contest is debating what to do about these... these people. Look. We all know what to do about it, it's really very simple. The liberals, in the U.N. and in our own government, are going to tell you that these people are people too. Fine. But, and I guarantee you this, they are going to end up bending over so far backwards to make sure that none of these WALKING TIME BOMBS so much as stubs a toe, that the rights of regular working Americans... like YOU... are going to take a back seat. I know what I'm talking about here. Every time that these bleeding heart liberals find a new minority to protect, who do you think they are protecting them from? Why, you and me. And what do we do? We just nod and smile, and let them get away with it. Why? Because we don't.. I don't know, want to seem like jerks, I guess. Well. Just remember that you heard it here first, spin-free, and I'll keep you up to date on this freedom- destroying situation over at the U.N.

April 9, 1998 9:26pm - 11:34pm EST

Excerpt from MSNBC's 24 hour coverage of the Novus Announcement.

Commentator: ...prompting many to wonder how much more we will learn in the coming weeks. So, what do you think? Send us your emails to answers@msnbc.com, and let us know. Homo Sapiens Novus. Answers to all our prayers? or too good to be true? We'll answer those emails a bit later. In Beltway news, the White House announced this afternoon that President Clinton has cancelled his planned trip to London to visit the W.H.O. facility for himself, blaming a sore throat. (chuckles) Well. A sore throat can sometimes be a sign of something more serious. Get well, Bill. After the break, we look at the events Cairo and Edinburgh. Are they signs of something far more serious? Or is this just a case of lightning striking twice in one day? When we return.

Excerpt from CBS Evening News

Dan Rather: ...is as frightening in its implication as it is in its reality. Edinburgh officials say the 'Novus' is an as-yet unidentified woman, but they are following up on several eye witness accounts, and have closed all borders and airports. They expect an arrest at any time. Now, with that example of 'Novus' devastation, we go to Cairo, where the world watched the first conflict between these 'New Humans', as Egypt suffered a terrible tragedy today, with the terrifying assassination of President Hosni Mubarak, followed by a wonton destruction of human life unlike anything this reporter has ever seen. If not for the intervention of the 'Novus' who calls himself 'Pax' and a friend Ray Pulaski of Miami, Florida, the destruction could have been so much worse. Unlike the fire in Edinburgh, we have the whole affair on tape. Parents, I caution you, the following footage is graphic, and should not be viewed by children.

Excerpt from Channel 9's Gold Coast News

Rob Reading: ... Renee Byrnes, a local student from Griffith University, has officially become the Gold Coast's first novus. She announced her status as a telepath during a lecture before walking out. The young woman called Channel 9 later in the evening to inform us she was heading to London for testing with the Aeon Society...

Excerpt from the Big Kahuna's Top 30, SEA FM Radio

Big Kahuna: Guys, it's official. We have our own novus hottie! Renee Byrnes looks like Claudia Schiffer and is smarter than Einstein. Who else wants to date her?

Armageddon MUD forums:

OzGeekGirl: Hey guys, just letting you know I won't be in-game for a while. I... well, I'm a novus. Seeyas round though once the testing's done, okay?

Monday, April 6th, 1998, 9 PM EST.

Excerpt from CNN Evening News

"Ladies and gentlmen, I am told we have just recieved an exclusive video from our asian sources covering the continuing conflict over the Tibetan occupation. The elusive superman-like Novus calling himself 'Titan Omega' was captured on film Saturday afternoon engaging in Chinese military forces deployed in Tibet. In spite of China's attmept to seal off the situation from the media, all eyes have been focused on the occupation in the wake of recent protests mounted by the Tibetan people. Our correspondant sent us this footage."

[The video is grainy. Many thousands of Tibetan's, including many red robed monks are gathered holding signs and banners declaring (in Tibetan) the evil's of China's occupation. There is widespread chaos as many of the civilians are bordering on an all-out riot. Suddenly gunfire is heard and the camera frenetically bounces as everyone dives for cover. Recovering its bearings, a contingent of troops is advancing on the protestors, backed up by several tanks. The more militant protestors begin to chuck rocks and improvised molotovs in the direction of the Chinese army and several are gunned down. The situation is rapidly degenrating into a massacre, when the massive Titan descends like a lightning strike into the middle of the soldiers, the force of his landing kocking everyone (including the camera operator) to the ground and splitting the Earth open. Before the army can recover, the Titan has grabbed a tank by its gun turret and launched it several miles through the air. His movements are a blur of color and the shot is shown again greatly slowed down. He utterly smashes several more tanks and shrugs off concetrated gunfire from dozens of soldiers. Several are shown to be injured when their bullets ricochet back into their own forces from his invulnerable skin. After a minute of this, a line of fire streaks across the ground and pummels into the Titan. He blasts up into the air and the camera follows him as he moves to engage the distant jet planes that just opened fire upon him. The battle quickly moves beyond the view of the camera and the clip ends.]

"After engaging military forces, the Titan was apparently driven off by Chinese air support. Chinese forces cleared the rest of the demonstarting rioters and locked down the area shortly after our correspondant fled the scene."

"Chinese officals have condemned the actions of Titan Omega as "an attack upon our national soverenety that will not be tolerated." The govenmental source went on to say that any Novus entering Chinese airspace will be considered hostile and should expect similar results. Meanwhile, the Dali Lama has urged his people to "embrace a peaceful response" toward the occupation. He thanked the Titan for intervening on behalf of Tibet but urged him to seek diplomatic means. "Violence will always beget more violence." he stated. "We must remember always to strive toard a peaceful existence, within and without." Titan Omega, although shown to be friendly to reporters in the past, was unable to be reached for comment. An estimated 47 people, including Chinese military personnel were injured in the incident. Dozens more were treated for minor injuries."

"In other international news, tension is high on the Indian sub-continent as earlier today Pakistan tested several medium ranged missles capable of penetrating India's borders. Pakistani officials defended their rights..."

• 2 weeks later...

April 11, 1998

Excerpt from the Westdeutsche Allgemeine Zeitung (Translated into English)

VOGELHEIM - An apparent electrical fire took the lives of two people last night. Bernd and Barbara Kindler were killed in the housefire that firefighters are calling 'an instant inferno'. The fire, it is believed, began in their daughter's former bedroom and spread quickly through the house. In a twist of bitter irony, the Kindlers's daughter perished only two and a half weeks ago in the Falkenberg fire at the Karl Bonhoeffer Klinikum, which took the lives of over three hundred people. Firefighters say that this fire burned so hot due to the age of the home, which was over one hundred and fifty years old, and effectively cremated the couple. The Kindlers leave no living relatives.

• 2 weeks later...

April 11, 1998 - excerpt from Page 22 of the Boston Globe

... with yesterdays disappearance of noted local researcher, Dr. Jasper Krauss, Boston has had a total of three strange 'Novus' related occurrences in the last month alone. Though representatives of Krauss Consortium International (KCI) are making no official comment unofficial sources have learned that there was a mishap in testing one of his latest medical prototypes. Little is known, but it has been suggested the Doctor has a 'node' and vanished into a 'spatial anomaly'.

Krauss has been living in our fine city for several years now, and is a respected if reclusive member of society. Local investment and charitable contributions from his business empire have made a noticeable difference in our downtown core. He’s also known as the 'man in the blue mask', and it makes one wonder if he hasn't been wanting to play super-hero all along. Let's hope this latest 'Novus' event is a blessing and Dr. Krauss comes back to us safe and sound, as Boston just can't afford another economic setback...

Excerpt from Channel 9's A Current Affair

Ray Martin: Renee, tell me, does what you are capable of as a novus frighten you?

Renee Byrnes: I am no more or no less scared of my abilities than a person in peak condition with a black belt in karate should be. Can I read minds? Yes. Am I aware of what I can do with that ability? Of course. Would I misuse my talent in any way? No, because I know that I'm not above the law just because I have a unique gift.

Excerpt from the Big Kahuna's Top 30, Sea FM

Big Kahuna: I don't know about Ray Martin, but you could read my mind anytime you wanted, Renee. What am I thinking now?

Renee Byrnes (laughing, obviously on the phone): I think we'd be breaking a few broadcasting laws if I were to share that mental image on air!

Big Kahuna: Renee! How can you say that about me?

Renee Byrnes: Well, let's see, I open my mouth and use my lips and tongue to form words.

Sonya (Caller): Wow, you just got stung, Big K!

Big Kahuna (mock-sniffing): I know. Cruel, isn't it?

• 2 years later...

Chicago Tribune - Front Page - April 12, 1998

"It's Clean!"

Martin Shapiro

Zion, Lake County - In a stunning demonstration of the Galatea effect on people, Novus Richard Stevenson proved yesterday that his control of radioactivity is comprehensive, shutting down the Zion atomic pile, and de-irradiating the coolant water. This, after bringing his daughter, Emily Stevenson (13) out of a coma she had been in for six years the previous day.

Public faith in nuclear energy has been making small gains, after taking serious hits following the accidents at Chernobyl and Three Mile Island. However, as plant safety has improved, such risks have greatly diminished. Currently, the perception of the problem is from an environmental point of view: what to do with the radioactive waste? Solutions do exist, in particular the technique of burying the waste deep below the ground in engineered facilities, known as geological disposal. The challenge has been to convince the public of its safety and reliability.

That challenge, in large part, has been for the last decade the focus of Richard Stevenson, and his boss at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Dr. David Brown. In an ironic twist, the Galatea effect has gifted Stevenson with the power to solve disposal and public perception of nuclear safety in one fell swoop.

The Zion Nuclear Power Station was the third dual-reactor plant in the ComEd network, serving Chicago and the northern quarter....

The Independent - Editorial, April 12, 1998

Missing the Point, Aren't We?

Bruce Anderson

Mistake me not. Cheers to the Novus, and we are all thankful for the surviving 79 lives. We mourn the many who were lost. We, of course, recognize the boon that the Novus were in saving many more that otherwise would have perished. But, aren't we missing the larger point?

In the last forty-eight hours, in Columbia, a Catholic priest and a lay worker died from a toxic cocktail of wine mixed with cyanide. At least 10 Easter baskets with poisoned wine were delivered to priests in the provinces of Meta and Cundinamarca.

In Rwanda attackers thought to be Hutu rebels killed 28 people and wounded 36 in a refugee camp. Soldiers intervened and killed 20 rebels. The UN Security Council voted to investigate illegal arms sales to Rwanda.

In Saudi Arabia it was reported that 2.3 million Muslims made the pilgrimage, hajj, to Mecca this year. Over 150 pilgrims died at the "stoning of the devil" ritual during a stampede that occurred on this last day of the annual pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

In Iran an earthquake in the northeast killed 12 people and left 1,500 homeless in the Khorasan province.

The Good Friday Agreement was announced 17 hours after the deadline as negotiators reached a landmark settlement to end 30 years of bitter rivalries and bloody attacks. Gerry Adams signed for the IRA.

In Benoni, South Africa, Nicholas Steyn (42), a white farmer, shot Francina Diamina (11) and her 6-month old cousin, Angelina, for trespassing. The baby was hit in the head and killed and Francina was wounded in the back.

I am surely not the only person to see how one or more of the Novus that we know about, available to confront any of the above events, could have done more than was done? Am I the only one who read the comic magazines as a kid? Do we expect that these Novus, much as I admire and wish to be like them, will face these things out of the goodness of their hearts?

When will a forward thinking businessman, or philanthropy, find out which among them will face such tasks willingly, and give them staggering amounts of money? Hopefully before Parliament decides something along those same lines, only on the cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Aeon Society Internal Report - April 12, 1998

According to Aeon Files, there are 42 novas known to the Society. Analysts theorize that there are probably five times as many undiscovered by the Society, for an estimated total 250 novas worldwide. What follows is as comprehensive a list as can currently be compiled.

Sascha Kindler - Fire-based abilities - Falkenberg, Germany - Last known location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Steve Debow - Enhanced Intelligence - Anaheim, CA, USA - Last known location: Aeon, London facility.

Peter Bell - Precognition expressed through Art - New York City, NY, USA - Last known location: New York City

Itsuyo Yoshii - Extremely enhanced Speed and Durability - Tokyo, Japan - Last known location: Osaka, Japan

Wei Fang - Enhanced Intelligence, Demonstrated ability to disrupt other Novus' abilites - Beijing, China - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Rani 'Adil Hadad- Ability to change appearance, cause fear - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - Last known location: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Ewen Banks - Enhanced Reasoning, Flight, Ability to manipulate Fire - Tulka, SA, Australia - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Wlodzimierz Czarnecki - Enhanced Intelligence, Prehensile Tail - Kielce, Poland - Last known location: London, UK

Juno Reyes - Physical adaptation to most external stimuli - Los Angeles, California, USA - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Jay King - Enhanced reflexes and strength, teleportative, force field/ force blast emissions - Berlin, Germany - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Caryn Sanders - Enhanced Speed, Invisibility, Intangibility - Ocean City, MD - Last known location: London, UK

Laure Beauchamps - Ability to transmute skin to metal, Energy bolt, Flight - Poitiers, France - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Michael Peters - Energy field, Flight - Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Martin Denis - Ability to communicate with Animals and to some degree, Plants - St. Lambert, Belgium - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Richard Stevenson - Radiation-based abilities, Healing touch - Chicago, IL, USA - Last known location: Chicago, IL, USA

Cristo Casas Garica - Ability to wield 'Dark' matter, Telekinesis - Talca, Chile - Last known location: Santiago, Chile

Colin Chatham III - Enhanced Strength, Speed, Ability to create a Light sword - London, UK - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Alexandra Jackson - Energy Shield, Flight, Enhanced Strength - Kalamata, Greece - Last known location: London, UK

Nathan Dayes - Ability to mimic Novus abilities exposed to - Seoul, South Korea - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

AKA:"Titan Omega" - Flight, Enhanced Strength and Speed, Unknown, Last known location: Aeon, London facility(Current location unknown)

Shelby Eisenfaust - Kinetic-based abilities - San Francisco, CA, USA - Last known Location : Aeon, London facility

Guy Reynolds - Enhanced Perception, Emotional manipulation - Liverpool, UK - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Mayyadah 'Ula Mansour - Enhanced Speed and Agility - Calgary, Alberta, CAN - Last known location: Baghdad, Iraq

Michelle Rassner - Electricity-based abilities - London, UK - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Daniel Magruder - REPORTED/UNTESTED Flight, Ability to manifest insects from his skin - Okinawa, Japan - Last known location - Plane shot down over Bay of Biscay

Raoul Orzaiz - REPORTED/UNTESTED Enhanced Strength and Speed - Last known Location: Ibiza, Spain

Vassily Kalupin -Electricity-based abilities - St. Petersburg, Russia - Last known Location: Aeon, London facility

Westley Dalton Jr. - Enhanced Stamina, Pretercognition, Teleportation - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Randel Portman - Energy Absorption, enhanced strength - New York City, New York, USA - Last known location: New York City, NY, USA

Louis Freeman - Plasma-based Abilities - Brooklyn, NY, USA - Last known location: Aeon, London Facility

Anibal Buendia - Ability to reconfigure cellular structure - Curitiba, Brazil - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Joe Smith - REPORTED/UNTESTED Elemental abilities -Tifton, GA, USA - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Alison Pfalzgraff - Telepathy & Telekinesis -Chicago, IL, USA - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Paris Keulers -Enhanced Strength and Durability -Turku, Finland - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Anselmo Costa - Ability to grow up to five times his normal size - Tuscana, Italy - Last known location: Tuscana, Italy

Spencer Balmer - Plant-based abilities - Manchester, UK - Last known location: Manchester, UK

Renee Byrnes - Telepathy and Information Systems Manipulation - Gold Coast, Australia - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Cecily Grant - Information Systems Manipulation - Chicago, IL, USA - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Ninacska Német - Splitting into one or more clones - Budaorsi, Hungary - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Han Kevnoh - Probability manipulation - Kiev, Ukraine - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

Klaus Kliesner - REPORTED/UNTESTED Enhanced Strength and Speed, lethal touch - Cardiff, UK - Last known location: Aeon, London facility (Current location unknown)

Trudy Vanderman - Telekinetic, some Telepathy - Toronto, CAN - Last known location: Aeon, London facility

http://www.novus_sightings.net - April 12, 1998 09:40am GMT

IBIZA, Spain - The leatherclad hottie with a killer tan has a name! Say hello to Fahrenheit, fanbois... CONFIRMED - Aeon flip-off artist, and 43th hereditary Count of Montealegre, Raoul Cristobal Orzaiz, held an impromptu press conference outside Ibiza hangover hangout the Cafe Montesol this very morning. He refused to speculate on what his abilities may be, but did confirm that his fiery tempered tablemate prefers to be known by her nom de guerre - Fahrenheit. Fairlyhott, if you ask me. He went on to say:

"You are quite right to be interested in her, should you ask me. I am quite interested in what she has to say, as every Novus should be."

The Count left in the ubiquitous limosine.

This site has had 1,947,309 views in the last 30 days

Only {{[x]image not found}} Days until Juno is 18!!!

Archived