Aberrant: In the Beginning - Richard Stevenson

Courier

Originally Posted By: Titan
Rich's palm grew warm as the President's blood streamed through his fingers. He expended the effort necessary, and felt the wound close under his hand. Healing cancer was harder, and Pax had damned near wiped him out. Comparatively, this was cake. It seemed that healing the President was no more momentous than healing anyone else.
Rich muttered under his breath,

"Good. Not too far gone. This..."

Quote:
As the President coughed and spat, and the room started to fill with the beginnings of relief, Rich felt an oily film on his mind. The sense of the Other was sickening, turning Rich's stomach. He felt the Other rifling through his thoughts, like a petty thief looking for valuables. Finally, the Other turned it's attention to Rich's conscious thoughts.

Fuck are you, man? Think you can waltz in here and UNDO? Some of us are DOers, man. Fuck. You. Maybe you can get the job done, huh?

Rich gritted his teeth and closed his eyes in concentration, futilely trying to keep the other out. He tried to say ‘get out’ but was pretty sure it was only inside his head.

Quote:
Rich feels the oily presence seeping deeper into his brain, taking control. He felt the Other's delight at discovering Rich's radiation power. It started to toy with it..

Who- what are you doing? Get OUT, get OUT!

The presence was gone instantly, as though it was never there. Rich felt drained, though the President was only now starting to sit up. The whole thing had taken only seconds.

Help me. Please. I helped you, you know I did, why can't you help me...

Rich made a quick glance for the fallen secretary and reached over and grabbed her leg. Then he closed his eyes and spoke out loud,

"Well Thank You! Thank you very much! That would have gotten ugly if you hadn't stepped in, and yes, I'd love to return the favor. Now if you don't mind my asking, Who are you? And if you know, Where is the other one? Is he close bye?"

Almost absentmindedly Rich tried to do what he could to bring the Secretary back while talking to this 'other' telepath. Rich was tired but this was important, each of these were important.

(OOC: Split Action I suspect).

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Again, not necessary. I consider dialogue a free action, as anything else discourages it, and I like dialogue during a fight.)

Rich felt life pouring back into Ms. Wright's body, even as the door bursts open and Secret Service comes pouring in, weapons drawn, in response to the gunfire. Rich does not let this interfere with his healing [Willpower roll]. This was harder than the President, because her wounds were more severe[also his 1 success].

Originally Posted By: Richard Stevenson
"Well Thank You! Thank you very much! That would have gotten ugly if you hadn't stepped in, and yes, I'd love to return the favor. Now if you don't mind my asking, Who are you? And if you know, Where is the other one? Is he close bye?"

You- You're welcome. I don't know, I don't know who I am! Shirley? Carol? Something... The only real memory I can come up with is waking up in the street. A man was there, and he was sucking my life into himself. He pulled more and more, and the next thing I knew, I was here, trapped in this huge void. Sometimes I can hear you, sometimes I can feel what you are doing, but the rest of the time... nothing. As for him, I don't know where he is, where he came from... I just knew he didn't belong here so I... I guess I pushed him out. Please. I told you all I know, can you help me? I don't want to live like this...

The others in the Oval Office look at Rich with concern, as he seems to be talking to himself. The President is sitting on the floor now, and the original agents are explaining what happened to the newer Secret Service. Abigail Wright is not completely healed, but she will live...

(Again, not necessary. I consider dialogue a free action, as anything else discourages it, and I like dialogue during a fight.)

Rich felt life pouring back into Ms. Wright's body, even as the door bursts open and Secret Service comes pouring in, weapons drawn, in response to the gunfire. Rich does not let this interfere with his healing [Willpower roll]. This was harder than the President, because her wounds were more severe[also his 1 success].

Originally Posted By: Richard Stevenson

You- You're welcome. I don't know, I don't know who I am! Shirley? Carol? Something... The only real memory I can come up with is waking up in the street. A man was there, and he was sucking my life into himself. He pulled more and more, and the next thing I knew, I was here, trapped in this huge void. Sometimes I can hear you, sometimes I can feel what you are doing, but the rest of the time... nothing. As for him, I don't know where he is, where he came from... I just knew he didn't belong here so I... I guess I pushed him out. Please. I told you all I know, can you help me? I don't want to live like this...

The others in the Oval Office look at Rich with concern, as he seems to be talking to himself. The President is sitting on the floor now, and the original agents are explaining what happened to the newer Secret Service. Abigail Wright is not completely healed, but she will live...

For 6 years Rich had been worrying about comas and ever since he'd found out about his powers he'd been thinking about them intently. Based on his experiences he instantly reached a conclusion about this new paranormal.

Rich replied in the slightly raised voice people use when using long distance, "What's going on is you've gained powers, like me. Sounds like some flavor of telepathy. I think you're also trapped in a coma. Opening your mind didn't heal your body. That's why you're reaching out to me, you sense I can pull you out. Thanks again for throwing that nut out. I'd be glad to help. Try to stay with me, I need to talk to everyone else."

Rich opened his eyes and addressed everyone, including and interrupting the President, "There's another telepath around here. He can also control people's actions. I got the impression it wasn't personal or professional. I think he's trying to kill you just to prove he's 'bad'."

Rich lowered his tone of voice and continued,

"Definitely a practiced killer and he likes to use the word 'Fuck'. I assume gang-banger or something like that. I'm not sure what kind of range those powers have but let's hope he's near by, like inside the building. That'd be why he went for the secretary and not someone armed."

Rich shrugged and said,

"Maybe he had to see her at some point? I suggest you get rid of anyone around you that has a gun."

Rich glanced around the room and tried to see if someone was drawing a mark on the President.

For 6 years Rich had been worrying about comas and ever since he'd found out about his powers he'd been thinking about them intently. Based on his experiences he instantly reached a conclusion about this new paranormal.

Rich replied in the slightly raised voice people use when using long distance, "What's going on is you've gained powers, like me. Sounds like some flavor of telepathy. I think you're also trapped in a coma. Opening your mind didn't heal your body. That's why you're reaching out to me, you sense I can pull you out. Thanks again for throwing that nut out. I'd be glad to help. Try to stay with me, I need to talk to everyone else."

Rich opened his eyes and addressed everyone, including and interrupting the President, "There's another telepath around here. He can also control people's actions. I got the impression it wasn't personal or professional. I think he's trying to kill you just to prove he's 'bad'."

Rich lowered his tone of voice and continued,

"Definitely a practiced killer and he likes to use the word 'Fuck'. I assume gang-banger or something like that. I'm not sure what kind of range those powers have but let's hope he's near by, like inside the building. That'd be why he went for the secretary and not someone armed."

Rich shrugged and said,

"Maybe he had to see her at some point? I suggest you get rid of anyone around you that has a gun."

Rich glanced around the room and tried to see if someone was drawing a mark on the President.

The Secret Service yanked President Clinton up off of the floor of the Oval Office and began rushing him out of one of the doors.

Abigail Wright sat up slowly.

Four Secret Service agents come to stand between Rich and the President. One of them gestures to the door.

"Mr. Stevenson, please come with us. We are sincere in our appreciation for what you have done, but we have some questions for you, as I am sure you can under-"

Behind the agents, there is the sound of a scuffle, and Clinton's raised voice:

"Son, if you don't get your damned hands off of me, and I mean right now, your next job will be examining every single dollar that gets contributed to every senator from both parties, looking for counterfeits"

Clinton pushes between the Secret Service, and looks for a moment at Rich.

"Rich, thanks, buddy. These guys are going to ask you a million and one questions, cause that's what they do. But stick around, as a favor to me. There is work to be done, and you might be the only one who can do it. Thank you again, for my life. Go on now, I'll see you later." Clinton turns, and walks unassisted from the Oval Office with dignity.

The Secret Service agent has the grace to look embarassed.

"Mr. Stevenson, if you will, please..." He gestures again to the door.

The Secret Service yanked President Clinton up off of the floor of the Oval Office and began rushing him out of one of the doors.

Abigail Wright sat up slowly.

Four Secret Service agents come to stand between Rich and the President. One of them gestures to the door.

"Mr. Stevenson, please come with us. We are sincere in our appreciation for what you have done, but we have some questions for you, as I am sure you can under-"

Behind the agents, there is the sound of a scuffle, and Clinton's raised voice:

"Son, if you don't get your damned hands off of me, and I mean right now, your next job will be examining every single dollar that gets contributed to every senator from both parties, looking for counterfeits"

Clinton pushes between the Secret Service, and looks for a moment at Rich.

"Rich, thanks, buddy. These guys are going to ask you a million and one questions, cause that's what they do. But stick around, as a favor to me. There is work to be done, and you might be the only one who can do it. Thank you again, for my life. Go on now, I'll see you later." Clinton turns, and walks unassisted from the Oval Office with dignity.

The Secret Service agent has the grace to look embarassed.

"Mr. Stevenson, if you will, please..." He gestures again to the door.

Rich realizes,

*They don't believe me. And if I push really hard or get pissed we'll see a gun battle right here. The secretary will back me up... later. No perfect options here.*

Rich holds up his hands and shrugs, then says,

"As you wish." He starts walking to the door and says again, "I wasn't kidding about any of that. You should probably see if he's around before he gets away."

Rich realizes,

*They don't believe me. And if I push really hard or get pissed we'll see a gun battle right here. The secretary will back me up... later. No perfect options here.*

Rich holds up his hands and shrugs, then says,

"As you wish." He starts walking to the door and says again, "I wasn't kidding about any of that. You should probably see if he's around before he gets away."

Somewhere in the White House basement complex...

"What you have to understand, Mr. Stevenson, is that the Novas are by their very nature, dangerous. Yes, your actions saved the President, but another of your people tried to kill him, actually did kill him for a second there, so it's a wash."

"How, exactly, can we get rid of anyone around the President with guns, Mr. Stevenson? Are you proposing doing away with the Secret Service?"

"How did you know that the attacker was a telepath? Are you a telepath, Mr. Stevenson?"

"As a hypothesis, would you say the events today have made the President trust you more or less? Don't you think that is something we consider, when we look at the big picture here?"

"Mr. Stevenson, how did you know that you could heal the President? He looked like a goner to me."

"How, exactly did you make the 'dominator' go away? That's what I'm most interested in, Mr. Stevenson"

And on, and on, and on, and on...

Somewhere in the White House basement complex...

"What you have to understand, Mr. Stevenson, is that the Novas are by their very nature, dangerous. Yes, your actions saved the President, but another of your people tried to kill him, actually did kill him for a second there, so it's a wash."

"How, exactly, can we get rid of anyone around the President with guns, Mr. Stevenson? Are you proposing doing away with the Secret Service?"

"How did you know that the attacker was a telepath? Are you a telepath, Mr. Stevenson?"

"As a hypothesis, would you say the events today have made the President trust you more or less? Don't you think that is something we consider, when we look at the big picture here?"

"Mr. Stevenson, how did you know that you could heal the President? He looked like a goner to me."

"How, exactly did you make the 'dominator' go away? That's what I'm most interested in, Mr. Stevenson"

And on, and on, and on, and on...

Rich mentally declared the day a wash and accepted he wasn't going anywhere. This wasn't the first long meeting he'd had with motivated but ignorant people. As usual, anger was pointless and bragging would be counterproductive. Thus no mentioning he thought he could use his powers to 'escape', and no mentioning he probably could have killed the President.

Having admitted he'd lost the day he tried to be helpful, he might be dealing with these people again in the future.

Quote:
Rich raised eyebrow at this question. If he’d annoyed easily this would have done it. As it was he replied, "My people? So if a black man tried to kill the President; and a black Secret Service agent took a bullet for him, would that also be a wash? I'm responsible for my own actions. I am not responsible for that dangerous nut."
Quote:
Rich replied, "I meant more here and now. At the time I seriously expected him to try again. I'm a little surprised he didn't. You know he needs a name? How about we call him "Mr. Bang"?
Quote:
Rich replied, "My first clue was when he started cursing me verbally inside my head for having undone his work. My second was when he started going through my mind to see what I could do." wink

"To the best of my knowledge I'm not a telepath. But after this I think I’m going to have to put some effort into learning to defend myself against them."

Quote:
Rich considered this deeply and replied, “I think ‘more’. Before Mr. Bang stepped in, Bill impressed me as a decent man with good judgment. As for the big picture I’m not sure how these events should figure into it. I didn’t trust, or distrust, Reagan more because he got shot.”
Quote:
Rich again raised an eyebrow and replies, “It’s what I do. If you want to be technical I didn’t know whether it would work, but I’ve dealt with much worse so I was confident. Besides, the alternative was not trying and that seemed unproductive.”
Quote:
Rich replies, “Oh, that’s easy. I didn’t. I brought the full force of my will against him, and I lost. Badly. Same as the secretary. Just a few moments more and we would have seen a replay of that incident with me taking on her role. I would have tried to kill Bill and your guy with the rifle would have shot me.”

Rich shrugged and continued, “What happened instead was the struggle attracted the attention of that other telepath. It would appear I have a lurker… but a friendly one. I don’t know her name because she didn’t know it. This isn't the first time she's contacted me but this was the most coherent. Both her earlier attempts were fragmented and confusing. Once I was in a crowd and though someone nearby was talking to me. The other I was half asleep and didn’t understand what was going on.”

“She’s confused about what’s going on. I think her body is messed up and she's in a hospital somewhere. She couldn't tell me her name but claimed, correctly I might add, that I owe her a favor. When I figure out where and who she is I’ll do what I can.”

“As long as we’re talking about telepaths and such, Mr. Bang seemed pretty chatty, if profane. He also seemed the type to brag. Maybe he talked to the President’s Secretary while he was controlling her. He probably figured she was going to die, so who knows, maybe he told her his name. It’s been long enough; I could probably give her a second treatment now. Maybe she’d wake up and tell us what she knows.”

Rich mentally declared the day a wash and accepted he wasn't going anywhere. This wasn't the first long meeting he'd had with motivated but ignorant people. As usual, anger was pointless and bragging would be counterproductive. Thus no mentioning he thought he could use his powers to 'escape', and no mentioning he probably could have killed the President.

Having admitted he'd lost the day he tried to be helpful, he might be dealing with these people again in the future.

Quote:
Rich raised eyebrow at this question. If he’d annoyed easily this would have done it. As it was he replied, "My people? So if a black man tried to kill the President; and a black Secret Service agent took a bullet for him, would that also be a wash? I'm responsible for my own actions. I am not responsible for that dangerous nut."
Quote:
Rich replied, "I meant more here and now. At the time I seriously expected him to try again. I'm a little surprised he didn't. You know he needs a name? How about we call him "Mr. Bang"?
Quote:
Rich replied, "My first clue was when he started cursing me verbally inside my head for having undone his work. My second was when he started going through my mind to see what I could do." wink

"To the best of my knowledge I'm not a telepath. But after this I think I’m going to have to put some effort into learning to defend myself against them."

Quote:
Rich considered this deeply and replied, “I think ‘more’. Before Mr. Bang stepped in, Bill impressed me as a decent man with good judgment. As for the big picture I’m not sure how these events should figure into it. I didn’t trust, or distrust, Reagan more because he got shot.”
Quote:
Rich again raised an eyebrow and replies, “It’s what I do. If you want to be technical I didn’t know whether it would work, but I’ve dealt with much worse so I was confident. Besides, the alternative was not trying and that seemed unproductive.”
Quote:
Rich replies, “Oh, that’s easy. I didn’t. I brought the full force of my will against him, and I lost. Badly. Same as the secretary. Just a few moments more and we would have seen a replay of that incident with me taking on her role. I would have tried to kill Bill and your guy with the rifle would have shot me.”

Rich shrugged and continued, “What happened instead was the struggle attracted the attention of that other telepath. It would appear I have a lurker… but a friendly one. I don’t know her name because she didn’t know it. This isn't the first time she's contacted me but this was the most coherent. Both her earlier attempts were fragmented and confusing. Once I was in a crowd and though someone nearby was talking to me. The other I was half asleep and didn’t understand what was going on.”

“She’s confused about what’s going on. I think her body is messed up and she's in a hospital somewhere. She couldn't tell me her name but claimed, correctly I might add, that I owe her a favor. When I figure out where and who she is I’ll do what I can.”

“As long as we’re talking about telepaths and such, Mr. Bang seemed pretty chatty, if profane. He also seemed the type to brag. Maybe he talked to the President’s Secretary while he was controlling her. He probably figured she was going to die, so who knows, maybe he told her his name. It’s been long enough; I could probably give her a second treatment now. Maybe she’d wake up and tell us what she knows.”

After several hours of interrogation and answers, the door opens, and an impeccably dressed President Clinton enters. The Secret Service agents all leap to their feet.

"Mr. President, we-"

"That will be enough, fellas." He smiled genially, and motioned Richard to come with him.

"But, Mr. President."

"I said enough, son." Clinton's glance was sharp, and the agent retreated reluctantly.

Clinton walked Richard to the elevator.

"I wanted to thank you again for what you did for me, and for Abigail. She'll be fine, by the way. You have made me realize something that I had barely considered before now. I'm gonna need a new sort of Secret Service, aren't I? One to help guard against the Nova threat." He glanced at Rich, whose expression only confirmed his thinking.

"Yeah, I'm going to. Well. I need someone who has experience with the kinds of powers we might face, and someone proven loyal. I'll need a critical thinker, with an even temperment and plenty of patience."

The elevator reached the main hallway of the West Wing. Clinton led Rich to the right, and around the corner, where they found themselves outside the Roosevelt room, by the lobby. Clinton turned to face Rich.

"Know where I can find anyone like that?" He grinned innocently.

After several hours of interrogation and answers, the door opens, and an impeccably dressed President Clinton enters. The Secret Service agents all leap to their feet.

"Mr. President, we-"

"That will be enough, fellas." He smiled genially, and motioned Richard to come with him.

"But, Mr. President."

"I said enough, son." Clinton's glance was sharp, and the agent retreated reluctantly.

Clinton walked Richard to the elevator.

"I wanted to thank you again for what you did for me, and for Abigail. She'll be fine, by the way. You have made me realize something that I had barely considered before now. I'm gonna need a new sort of Secret Service, aren't I? One to help guard against the Nova threat." He glanced at Rich, whose expression only confirmed his thinking.

"Yeah, I'm going to. Well. I need someone who has experience with the kinds of powers we might face, and someone proven loyal. I'll need a critical thinker, with an even temperment and plenty of patience."

The elevator reached the main hallway of the West Wing. Clinton led Rich to the right, and around the corner, where they found themselves outside the Roosevelt room, by the lobby. Clinton turned to face Rich.

Quote:
Rich blinked and seriously considered the idea from several angles. Finally he replied,

“I’d be a poor choice. In a week you’d have protesters non-stop up in arms about me being here and not curing cancer or AIDs. I’m great after the fact, but that’s it. None of my gifts let me see it coming or help during the act. Even my offensive abilities are counterproductive. Your people carry guns, not grenades. What you want is who could prevent attacks and/or step in if something happened...” Rich considers and continues,

“Add in American loyalty and we’re talking about... Jay King or Caryn Sanders. Both have powers oriented towards this kind of thing. He’s US military and I gather she’s some flavor of law enforcement.”

Quote:
Rich blinked and seriously considered the idea from several angles. Finally he replied,

“I’d be a poor choice. In a week you’d have protesters non-stop up in arms about me being here and not curing cancer or AIDs. I’m great after the fact, but that’s it. None of my gifts let me see it coming or help during the act. Even my offensive abilities are counterproductive. Your people carry guns, not grenades. What you want is who could prevent attacks and/or step in if something happened...” Rich considers and continues,

“Add in American loyalty and we’re talking about... Jay King or Caryn Sanders. Both have powers oriented towards this kind of thing. He’s US military and I gather she’s some flavor of law enforcement.”

Clinton laughs heartily.

"Ok, Rich. I get it, you don't want to be a Secret Service agent. That's fine. That's not quite what I had in mind. But what you just did, where you thought of possible solutions to the problem at hand, that is what I want. It's ok, think it over, call your friends and see if they are interested. On Monday, I'm going to ask my people to begin the vetting process. I'd like to name you Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Treasury by next weekend. Call Marlena tomorrow and let her know of anything we should know about before we really get going, so that we can deal with it now, speeding tickets and such."

President Clinton grasps Richard's hand and pats him on the shoulder. He pulls him in for a half-embrace.

"Smile."

The White House photographer is perfectly in position, Clinton's smile is jovial and spontaneous. The flash only adds to Rich's disorientation. Clinton releases him.

"In the meantime, go see your daughters. They need you first. Bye, Rich!" Clinton waves over his shoulder as he heads back to the Oval Office.

Clinton laughs heartily.

"Ok, Rich. I get it, you don't want to be a Secret Service agent. That's fine. That's not quite what I had in mind. But what you just did, where you thought of possible solutions to the problem at hand, that is what I want. It's ok, think it over, call your friends and see if they are interested. On Monday, I'm going to ask my people to begin the vetting process. I'd like to name you Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Treasury by next weekend. Call Marlena tomorrow and let her know of anything we should know about before we really get going, so that we can deal with it now, speeding tickets and such."

President Clinton grasps Richard's hand and pats him on the shoulder. He pulls him in for a half-embrace.

"Smile."

The White House photographer is perfectly in position, Clinton's smile is jovial and spontaneous. The flash only adds to Rich's disorientation. Clinton releases him.

"In the meantime, go see your daughters. They need you first. Bye, Rich!" Clinton waves over his shoulder as he heads back to the Oval Office.

:blink:confused

Rich wondered, *What just happened?*

*'Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Treasury'???*

*Ah. Right. Last time I saw this was when Dave was feuding with the computer department. He wasn't allowed to hire a "computer guy" to do his projects, so instead he hired "an engineer" who knew nothing about engineering and a whole lot about computers.*

*So what does a DAST do? Probably NOT much to do with the Treasury I'd think. 'Whim of the President' probably figures into it... wait a moment. Doesn't the Secret Service work out the Treasury? Ah... OK, so much for the complicated thinking. So I'm... putting together the Prez's Novus Crew in the Secret Service. Good God!*

*Did I ask for this? Remember talking to the others about Novus needing political influence? Remember talking to Bill a few moments ago about working for the gov? What, did you think they were planning on sending you back to Peach Bottom?*

*So... does a DAST work in Washington? Well... seriously, the Center has power. If you're going to try to talk to the people of power, you're going to need to talk to the people of power. So probably 'yes'.*

*There are a few really good hospitals around here I think. Of course this means I might have a full time job doing DAST work on top of my full time job working with those researchers and my other full time job dealing with nuclear waste. Scheduling will be interesting. Looks like I'm going to give up sleeping. Be like being in the Navy again.*

Rich recovered, collected his picture and attempted to give and get contact information. He decided he'd try to contact his fellow Novus in route to Chicago. This specifically included his 'telepathic' friend, and he made an effort to meditate, open his mind, and 'knock'.

:blink:confused

Rich wondered, *What just happened?*

*'Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Treasury'???*

*Ah. Right. Last time I saw this was when Dave was feuding with the computer department. He wasn't allowed to hire a "computer guy" to do his projects, so instead he hired "an engineer" who knew nothing about engineering and a whole lot about computers.*

*So what does a DAST do? Probably NOT much to do with the Treasury I'd think. 'Whim of the President' probably figures into it... wait a moment. Doesn't the Secret Service work out the Treasury? Ah... OK, so much for the complicated thinking. So I'm... putting together the Prez's Novus Crew in the Secret Service. Good God!*

*Did I ask for this? Remember talking to the others about Novus needing political influence? Remember talking to Bill a few moments ago about working for the gov? What, did you think they were planning on sending you back to Peach Bottom?*

*So... does a DAST work in Washington? Well... seriously, the Center has power. If you're going to try to talk to the people of power, you're going to need to talk to the people of power. So probably 'yes'.*

*There are a few really good hospitals around here I think. Of course this means I might have a full time job doing DAST work on top of my full time job working with those researchers and my other full time job dealing with nuclear waste. Scheduling will be interesting. Looks like I'm going to give up sleeping. Be like being in the Navy again.*

Rich recovered, collected his picture and attempted to give and get contact information. He decided he'd try to contact his fellow Novus in route to Chicago. This specifically included his 'telepathic' friend, and he made an effort to meditate, open his mind, and 'knock'.

Rich considered and mentally took notes for his upcoming talk about being vetted.

*What do I need to mention as potential problems? Oh let's see...

*1) Alcoholic, recovering, possibly "Recovered" considering the Novus metabolism. That'd be a medical first, but I'm at a loss as to how to test it.*

*2) Practicing Medicine without a license... wait, I think I've always been under the direction of a *real* Doctor... does that matter? Sooner or later something will come up without a real doctor around. Make that, "Intent to Practice medicine without a license." Is Healing Medicine? Do they license 'Faith Healing'? Maybe I can get some bozo college to give me a medical degree?*

*3) Anything else? Ah yes. Intent to go into private industry as a nuclear waste disposal guy... to the tune of dozens, maybe even hundreds of millions of dollars. I don't 'think' this is technically illegal or a conflict of interest...*

*Conclusion: I'm handing someone a real can of worms. Someone is either going to love me or hate me. Government lawyers charge by the hour, right?*

Rich considered and mentally took notes for his upcoming talk about being vetted.

*What do I need to mention as potential problems? Oh let's see...

*1) Alcoholic, recovering, possibly "Recovered" considering the Novus metabolism. That'd be a medical first, but I'm at a loss as to how to test it.*

*2) Practicing Medicine without a license... wait, I think I've always been under the direction of a *real* Doctor... does that matter? Sooner or later something will come up without a real doctor around. Make that, "Intent to Practice medicine without a license." Is Healing Medicine? Do they license 'Faith Healing'? Maybe I can get some bozo college to give me a medical degree?*

*3) Anything else? Ah yes. Intent to go into private industry as a nuclear waste disposal guy... to the tune of dozens, maybe even hundreds of millions of dollars. I don't 'think' this is technically illegal or a conflict of interest...*

*Conclusion: I'm handing someone a real can of worms. Someone is either going to love me or hate me. Government lawyers charge by the hour, right?*

Richard sat in a lounge at Ronald Reagan International, waiting for flight 291 to O'Hare. He considered his options, as he half paid attention to the replay of the Acadamy Awards on the TV. They had had to postpone the Oscars because of the Galatea, but they held them the following Monday. Eleven wins for Titanic kind of takes a backseat to people flying and shooting lasers out of their eyes.

Rich had been recognized by about every third person in the airport. The guy two seats down had already joked that maybe Rich 'could do something about this damn head cold'. He seemed to be only half-joking, though. The check-in clerk had also told him about her husband's faulty aortic valve 'in passing', while selling him the first-class upgrade for his ticket.

On the TV, the newscasters had broken in. They were talking about a conflagration in Scotland. Some big fire was consuming half of Edinburgh, and reports had attributed the fire to one of the Novus, although the newscasters had lately started mispronouncing the word 'Novas', a minor irritant.

The paging system was finally calling for his flight to begin boarding. As Richard stood, the guy a couple of seats down again exhorted him.

"Hey, you sure can't help a guy out? Altitude is murder on the sinuses anyway."

Richard sat in a lounge at Ronald Reagan International, waiting for flight 291 to O'Hare. He considered his options, as he half paid attention to the replay of the Acadamy Awards on the TV. They had had to postpone the Oscars because of the Galatea, but they held them the following Monday. Eleven wins for Titanic kind of takes a backseat to people flying and shooting lasers out of their eyes.

Rich had been recognized by about every third person in the airport. The guy two seats down had already joked that maybe Rich 'could do something about this damn head cold'. He seemed to be only half-joking, though. The check-in clerk had also told him about her husband's faulty aortic valve 'in passing', while selling him the first-class upgrade for his ticket.

On the TV, the newscasters had broken in. They were talking about a conflagration in Scotland. Some big fire was consuming half of Edinburgh, and reports had attributed the fire to one of the Novus, although the newscasters had lately started mispronouncing the word 'Novas', a minor irritant.

The paging system was finally calling for his flight to begin boarding. As Richard stood, the guy a couple of seats down again exhorted him.

Richard sat in a lounge at Ronald Reagan International, waiting for flight 291 to O'Hare. He considered his options, as he half paid attention to the replay of the Academy Awards on the TV. They had had to postpone the Oscars because of the Galatea, but they held them the following Monday. Eleven wins for Titanic kind of takes a backseat to people flying and shooting lasers out of their eyes.
Rich thought,

*How do you possibly make a good chick flick out of a disaster movie? Sam liked it though. Well... at least I deposited the check. A bit worrying, walking around with fire-ish powers and a quarter-mill check. And what I really should be doing is making some phone calls.*

Rich got out his cell phone and started dialing. He left Caryn a message but managed to talk to Michael Peters and J. King.

Quote:
Rich realized with a resigned not-quite-amusement,

*And so it begins. Get used to it. Before long I'll have to have to hire guards and the like.*

Quote:
*Novus. Novus. A Nova is an exploding star.*

Quote:

Rich considered,

*Jerk. The juice I'd spend on him would cure cancer on some kid... not that there are any of those around. I wonder if anyone would notice if I incinerated him? Or I could just zap him and then tell him he has cancer.*

*If dealing with Jerks and rewarding behavior that should be punished is a serious problem, then entering politics is SERIOUSLY the wrong field. He's already consumed too much of my time and though, so... the cheapest route is...*

Rich shrugged. Then as he walked pass the man he reached out and grabbed his shoulder and gave him his weakest Healing attempt without saying anything. Regardless of how he reacts Rich attempts to board the plane and intends to spend the trip meditating and trying to open his mind to the mysterious telepath.

Richard sat in a lounge at Ronald Reagan International, waiting for flight 291 to O'Hare. He considered his options, as he half paid attention to the replay of the Academy Awards on the TV. They had had to postpone the Oscars because of the Galatea, but they held them the following Monday. Eleven wins for Titanic kind of takes a backseat to people flying and shooting lasers out of their eyes.
Rich thought,

*How do you possibly make a good chick flick out of a disaster movie? Sam liked it though. Well... at least I deposited the check. A bit worrying, walking around with fire-ish powers and a quarter-mill check. And what I really should be doing is making some phone calls.*

Rich got out his cell phone and started dialing. He left Caryn a message but managed to talk to Michael Peters and J. King.

Quote:
Rich realized with a resigned not-quite-amusement,

*And so it begins. Get used to it. Before long I'll have to have to hire guards and the like.*

Quote:
*Novus. Novus. A Nova is an exploding star.*

Quote:

Rich considered,

*Jerk. The juice I'd spend on him would cure cancer on some kid... not that there are any of those around. I wonder if anyone would notice if I incinerated him? Or I could just zap him and then tell him he has cancer.*

*If dealing with Jerks and rewarding behavior that should be punished is a serious problem, then entering politics is SERIOUSLY the wrong field. He's already consumed too much of my time and though, so... the cheapest route is...*

Rich shrugged. Then as he walked pass the man he reached out and grabbed his shoulder and gave him his weakest Healing attempt without saying anything. Regardless of how he reacts Rich attempts to board the plane and intends to spend the trip meditating and trying to open his mind to the mysterious telepath.

The man was startled by Rich's clutch of him, and had a story he could talk about for years. Though, almost no one believed him.

Rich made it through pre-flight just fine. The stewardess offered the complimentary Mimosa, and Rich turned it down. She demonstrated the seat belt, informed them of the exit locations, and how to survive should they crash into the ocean. Then they sat on the runway awaiting their turn.

Rich meditated, breathing slowly in and out and trying to feel the moment he was in. Just about the time the captain had them in position for takeoff, he felt that he was relaxed enough for contact. He spoke in his mind.

He probed for her, he asked for her to listen to him, he searched for her mentally, with no idea what he was doing. Failure, abject total failure. He thought about that Mimosa. Obviously not the answer. But a soda would be nice. He reached-

Hello? Can you hear me? Hello?

I- I'm fine, I guess. Although I can't stand it here, floating in nothingness. No, I remember nothing else. Well, I remember fire. There was a fire, and I was... trying to put it out, I think. I don't- I can't- Wait. Are you on a plane? I hear the engines, I think. An airplane! I do remember an airplane, a big one... it... I was... I don't. God, I can't STAND this!

Rich hears her sobbing in his mind. The Stewardess touches him on the arm, and asks if he needs anything before they stop service.

Rich let "Carol"(?) sob and ignored the Stewardess. He'd been married and had kids, he recognized she needed to let off steam and he assumed the Stew would mistake meditation for an attempt to sleep.

After a while Rich sent back gently,

*Carol, we're making progress. This is the longest we've talked. You can hear the engines, in a moment I'll open my eyes and we'll see if you can see with them. You're also starting to remember. A little more information and I'll have enough to find your body, then fixing it up should be easy.*

Eventually, she laughed at herself. A bit weepily, sure, but it was a laugh.

"You're so nice to me. I'm glad that if I had to be stuck in oblivion with only one person to talk to sometimes, that it was you. I'm ready. Open your eyes.

Rich did.

I don't... wait. The back of the seat in front of you. Your tray table is up. I can see! I mean, I have before but... Here comes the stewardess. This is wild. I almost feel like I am there. Look out the window.

Rich leaned over so that she could see out the window.

Amazing. No matter how many times I've been up, I am always blown away by the fact that I'm flying. Wait. A cockpit. I- I think I'm a pilot... was a pilot. You know, before. I flew.. Something... something thirty. I think. We wore... tan uniforms. I- I can't... it's gone. Dammit! But, you're right. We are making progress, I think.

The Captain reminds all passengers to make sure that their tray tables are up and locked, that their seats are in the fully upright position, and that seatbelts must be fastened. He announces that they will be landing in O'Hare momentarily, that local time is 7:51 pm. He thanks the passengers for choosing this airline, and hopes that they all have enjoyed their flight.

Rich sent,

*You're welcome. If I have to have a telepathic guest you're a good choice. wink And we are making progress. Sight, sound... you're coming through a lot clearer this time. Either you're getting better at sending or I'm getting better at listening.*

*There can't be many female pilots wearing tan uniforms who have been in accidents. Most US civilian pilots wear Blue... but the Air Force sometimes wears Tan. I used to serve on an Air Craft Carrier. Or you could be foreign. Do you know if you spoke English?*

Rich tried to remember which foreign countries have Tan or Brown as part of their national colors but he gave up after a moment.

*I don't think it'd a problem if you're in Egypt or where ever. You're obviously alive, this implies your body is in a hospital somewhere so you're probably in a Western country. Different subject, do you remember having any children?*

Rich chats with his new friend and considers,

*Almost Eight. With typical O'Hare delays I might be home at nine.*

Rich intends to head home, phone his relatives that he's back, then get some sleep (if he can). Tomorrow if everyone can make it he'll try to wake up Em.

The plane lands without incident. The woman that Rich speaks with mentally continues to talk with him.

"It is getting easier! I... think I speak English, aren't we speaking English now? Or, I guess, if we're talking mind to mind, it could be in any language... but I think I am... American. I remember the flag. Red, white, and blue... it was tacked on the wall behind us... there were cameras... ah, it's gone. No. I might have children, but I don't remember it. That's probably awful, but I just... I don't remember."

Rich takes a cab home, since his car is either destroyed or towed. The cab driver marvels that he has the famous 'Rick Sevrenson' as a fare. It doesn't get Rich a discount on the fare, though. As he fumbles his key into the lock, he is struck by how much his life has changed since he left that morning, two weeks ago.

The house has that 'vacation' feel. His mail and newspapers are in two tidy piles on the dining room table. When Rich checks the fridge, he finds that his milk has been thrown out, as have any other expirable goods. Bob.

Which reminded him to make two important phone calls.

Bob- "Yes, I've been getting the mail, and I cleaned your refrigerator. The smell! I've, uh, also been visiting with Emily every day. We've been watching your coverage on TV. Ok, I'll meet you in the morning at the hospital. And Rich, I'm praying for you, son."

Sam- "OhMiGod, Dad, welcome home! Are you really gonna try to heal Emily? Do you think it'll work. Really really? Oh, I just don't want us to get all worked up for nothing. If you're sure, then yeah, I can blow off classes. I'll see you in the morning, Dad. Love you."

Rich hangs up his phone, and debates for a moment whether or not he should take off his clothes before collapsing into bed. Finally, he sits on the edge of the bed and stars unlacing his shoes.

"You have a daughter in a coma? And you're going to try to heal her tomorrow? That... that's a big deal for you and your family. I hate to give up this contact, though I will if you want some privacy for that. Good luck, by the way.

"It is getting easier! I... think I speak English, aren't we speaking English now? Or, I guess, if we're talking mind to mind, it could be in any language... but I think I am... American. I remember the flag. Red, white, and blue... it was tacked on the wall behind us... there were cameras... ah, it's gone.
Rich sends,

*The people around us are speaking American. You're sounding more and more like air force. You could be the first female pilot to shoot down two planes or something like that. It'd be a big deal, you might even meet the President.*

No. I might have children, but I don't remember it. That's probably awful, but I just... I don't remember."
Rich comments,

*If you don't remember then you probably don't have any. That's not awful.*

Quote:
The house has that 'vacation' feel. His mail and newspapers are in two tidy piles on the dining room table. When Rich checks the fridge, he finds that his milk has been thrown out, as have any other expirable goods. Bob.
Rich made a mental note to thank Bob and another to find a different place. He glanced at his 6 *still* unpacked boxes from when he moved in and snorted. Once again he had different things to worry about.

Quote:
"You have a daughter in a coma? And you're going to try to heal her tomorrow? That... that's a big deal for you and your family. I hate to give up this contact, though I will if you want some privacy for that. Good luck, by the way.
Rich sent back,

*Thank you, but no, it's all right. It's a big deal, but not a closed session. Family and friends, so consider yourself invited. smile I expect we'll have others who show up anyway. Some of the nurses, maybe the local admin, if we're unlucky maybe even the media.*

Rich lay down and was asleep the moment his eyes closed.

EDIT: Assuming nothing else happens Rich will attune his wallet and then fly there at the scheduled time tomorrow morning.

Rich touched down in the parking lot, quickly shutting off his radioactive powers. The lot was filled with people. Some were reporters, perhaps a dozen. He could see FOX news cameras, CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, E!, and more... most though, were just people.

They rushed at him. At first he feared for his safety, but they didn't touch him. Not one of them. They stood a respectful distance away, even the reporters. They all uniformly had awe on their faces. They all spoke at once. Rich couldn't pick out individual sentances, so he just let the sound wash over him.

your daughter mr. stevenson my son my mom my husband cancer leukemia heart lungs liver heal heal mr. stevenson my my my your daughter true is it can you president said they can you will my friend healing christ god my son transplant donors available my will you please please please

Finally, pushing through the throng, Bob appeared. His scowl said it all. He grabbed Rich in a quick hug, and murmured in his ear.

"Sam's fault. Don't hold it against her. She mentioned to a nurse you were coming today. They announced it live on CNN this morning. She feels like a fool, so be nice."

Bob turns to the crowd.

"We're going in now! Make way! Make way! Make way, goddamnit!"

For a long moment Rich just absorbed the commotion. It'd gotten worse a lot quicker than he'd been expecting. Obviously... he was the first real hope some or all of these people had. Three weeks ago he would have *been* one of them. Refusing the objective reality that there was *no* hope. He would have been seeing hope and not muscle spasms in Em's eye twitches.

Rich twitched his formally maimed hand. Now that a *real* cure for Em was literally at hand, he could see he had been grasping at straws. Lying to himself. If he weren't the one with this power then maybe he'd have blown off work so he could be in the crowd. If you can see hope in an eye twitch then a for real healer was a sign from god.

Equally obviously... most of this crowd was going to be disappointed. No way he could do even a twentieth today and if he started the crowd would swell a hundred fold.

Quote:
Finally, pushing through the throng, Bob appeared. His scowl said it all. He grabbed Rich in a quick hug, and murmured in his ear.

"Sam's fault. Don't hold it against her. She mentioned to a nurse you were coming today. They announced it live on CNN this morning. She feels like a fool, so be nice."

Rich smiled and shrugged. Forgiving Sam was easy and some stoves you just had to get burned on to see that they're hot.
Quote:
Bob turns to the crowd.

"We're going in now! Make way! Make way! Make way, goddamnit!"

Rich tried to follow Bob...

Assuming he can force his way through the crowd, he'll try to greet and talk to Bob, Sam, and the nursing staff when he gets in. If he can't he'll fly away and summon the police.

The crowd's reluctance to touch him worked in his favor. He and Bob were able to get to the Facility entrance, where security was doubled to keep the mob at bay.

Once inside, Bob turned to Rich, a cynical smile on his face.

"If it makes you feel any better, Erin gave the nurse a dressing down that she won't soon forget. She told her that she was lucky that she was still in her first year, so she could chalk it up to a mistake. If she thought for a second that the girl was trying to profit from the Stevenson's pain... Anyway, it was spectacular, and she did it in front of us, so it was that much more humiliating for her. Sam's mortified of course."

They were waiting for the elevator now. Rich had noted, during the short walk through the lobby, the stares, the whispers. He thought he was used to it, but now he had decided that he had been more or less isolated at Æon. The elevator dinged.

Two doctors started to get off, then saw who was waiting for the elevator. Wordlessly, they looked at each other, then got back on. On the way up, Bob explained why the mob had been so averse to touching him.

"The CNN report this morning made much of your healing, but there was a guest on who speculated that if you could heal with a touch, wasn't it possible that you could infect, or even kill with a touch. Must've touched a nerve. Kinda funny, when you think about it. These people, they all want you to touch their husbands, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters... 'But don't touch ME!' heh heh. Yep, it's a funny old world."

They had reached their floor, Somnolescence and Comatose Care. As Rich exited the elevator, he realized a much larger that usual number of people were hanging out in the hallway. It seemed as though every doctor, tech, and nurse without immediate responsibility was here, waiting for something. It actually took Rich a second to realize that 'he' was what they were waiting for.

"Wow. You're famous! And, not in what I would call a good way..."

Once inside, Bob turned to Rich, a cynical smile on his face.

"If it makes you feel any better, Erin gave the nurse a dressing down that she won't soon forget. She told her that she was lucky that she was still in her first year, so she could chalk it up to a mistake. If she thought for a second that the girl was trying to profit from the Stevenson's pain... Anyway, it was spectacular, and she did it in front of us, so it was that much more humiliating for her. Sam's mortified of course."
Rich replied,

"Sam is young, hasn't been at ground zero before, and hasn't trained for this. After all, I'm her old man, so how famous can I be? wink She was tickled with the idea of Em waking up but she hasn't been thinking of the implications for two weeks. Sometimes you just have to get burned on that stove."

From Rich's tone he regards it as a cheap learning experience for Sam. Then he continued with a darker tone, "The nurse is lucky to just be humiliated. This was unprofessional."

Obviously changing subjects, Rich said, "And speaking of being lucky, I notice that I wasn't attacked by things growing in my refrigerator when I got home. Thank you."

Quote:
On the way up, Bob explained why the mob had been so averse to touching him.

"The CNN report this morning made much of your healing, but there was a guest on who speculated that if you could heal with a touch, wasn't it possible that you could infect, or even kill with a touch. Must've touched a nerve. Kinda funny, when you think about it. These people, they all want you to touch their husbands, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters... 'But don't touch ME!' heh heh. Yep, it's a funny old world."
Rich snorted in agreement and commented,

"I see rampant speculation never goes out of style. You'll see me walk on water and fly to the moon before I cause disease. Besides, it's pointless. Even if I *could* do such a thing, I *wouldn't*. They'll realize that in a few weeks... aw heck. Now that they know I'm in town they'll be turning up on my doorstep."

Quote:
They had reached their floor, Somnolescence and Comatose Care. As Rich exited the elevator, he realized a much larger that usual number of people were hanging out in the hallway. It seemed as though every doctor, tech, and nurse without immediate responsibility was here, waiting for something. It actually took Rich a second to realize that 'he' was what they were waiting for.

"Wow. You're famous! And, not in what I would call a good way..."
Rich sent back,

*Yes. The News crews I'd hoped to skip and I hadn't even expected the crowd. I'd gripe about it but it wouldn't change anything and there's several hundred people out there who'd kill to have my problems. On the way in I was thinking I'd be out there with them if I weren't in here... or something like that.*

Walking into the room Rich gave Sam a hug and said to the worried look on her face, "Don't worry about it." Rich caught his and Sam's reflection. Standing next to each other they were 'obviously' brother and sister, maybe even twins.

Rich glanced at the crowd of doctors and mentally dismissed them as unimportant. He looked at Em for a long moment and remembered her being born, growing up, then in this endless sleep. He clenched then relaxed his left hand and restrained himself. Just a little longer. Rich said,

"Bob. Stand close, I'm putting you on point. Em will know you. Sam, you and I have changed a lot, maybe too much. Be where she can see you but don't be shocked if she doesn't recognize you."

Rich ignored his doubts, this WAS going to work. He waited for everyone to get in position, took a deep breath, and reached out...

Originally Posted By: Courier
Rich caught his and Sam's reflection.

Wow... you look pretty young. And that's your daughter? You must have gotten started early... although...

He clenched then relaxed his left hand and restrained himself. Just a little longer.

You look... incredibly familiar, somehow...

"Bob. Stand close, I'm putting you on point. Em will know you. Sam, you and I have changed a lot, maybe too much. Be where she can see you but don't be shocked if she doesn't recognize you."

But... you can't be...It's not...

He waited for everyone to get in position, took a deep breath, and reached out...

Oh. My. God. It's YOU!

Rich has only been listening to her with half his mind, focused on what he must do. Suddenly, his healing power seems to twist in his hand, and he feels Radiation beginning to boil out of his pores. Dangerous, deadly radiation.

How could I have trusted you? YOU DID THIS TO ME!!!

Archived