Aberrant: 200X - Concept Discussion

SkyLion

To my fellow writers to whom it may concern.

The powerset of the character I am about to introduce was originally made for a different character in a different game. There is a facet for which I sought and recieved approval for there but in the interest of the open book/check in with your peeps before introducing a customized idea I thougt I would go ahead and open a thread to discuss *before* i go and post my final pretty sheet.

With no more ado:

This character is based on the idea of a repulsion force field. In other words it doesn't just absorb and protect from damage, it actually will throw back anything that hits it.

To simulate this with the mechanics, I bought, in addition to the force field power, Ripple Shield, taken by itself and not part of a suite. To note, this is not a spatial manipulating effect, but the mechanics fit perfectly. In this case it applies to projectiles, bullets, energy blasts etc. that will just bounce back off the force field.

To simulate this same effect for hand to hand attacks, I bought a bashing immolate. Hit him and you fly back.

The part I would like to check in about is on a slightly expanded use of the enhancment: Irresistable Force. This enhancment improves the knockback capability of a characters strikes. The system for Knockback compares the damage total against the opponents might skill and may knock someone back even if they dont take damage from the attack. Very Cinematic. The enhancment adds what I call virtual or "ghost damage" only for the comparison for knockback.

What I would like to do with this character is to say that when Irresistable Force is activated, this ghost damage would apply to the Immolate as well, making the repulsion of the force field more powerful.

The cost would remain the same, 1 QP per +2 "ghost damage."

Any objections?

The snag is that enhancements can't link with powers, so with a defensive power theme like what you describe you couldn't activate the enhancement unless you forced the field onto someone else (as an attack action or example).

Personally, if it fits the theme and there is a mechanical way to get the effect you want without being totally cheezy about it then I say put it together and submit it to the mods. It's been stated several times that 200X not a Democracy, it's a Novacracy. We really don't have much say in what you do.

Slap together a strong concept, explain it in detail, much like you've done already, and submit it to the mods. They'll let you know what they think is best for 200X in relation to your character. That's the best advice I can offer.

I realize that it is an unusual request not covered by the rules as written. It seemed to me a reasonable tweak to make, but I wanted to follow appropriate ettiquetts and make sure it wouldn't rub anyone the wrong way. If it is deemed unacceptable i can live with that, but better to be safe than sorry when introducing a modified concept.

And thank you, I will alert the mods to this thread.

Oh yeah, and regarding activation:

This particular enhancment is active for a scene and Immolate is a maintenance power so for the duration of the immolate's activation, I would be applying a bonus equal to the number of quantum points spent x2 (as standard) to the "damage" of the immolate, again only for the purpose of determining knockback results. If approved that is.

Bounce and force field could be linked, though bounce isn't the power I am going for.

Ripple Shield and Reflect/Redirect work very similar but the latter works as a power block. Ripple Shield mechanics work better since its a maintenance power to coincide with the force field. its a burn build thats for sure, especially if/when i get into spending points on Irresistable Force.

Also as an update, I spoke with Nova and we are going to give this discussion another day and then put it up to a vote. If you have any other questions or concerns for me please ask them here. In the meantime I have more wiki to wite!

A couple of Duration Strengths'd probably help you in that regard though, I'd've thought. Moving from Instant to Maintenance is only 2 Strengths, which (if I recall) is just over 1 dot of power. Add the Area Extra and you've got a perfectly serviceable Maintenance Reflect/Redirect that can defend multiple targets at once.

Admittedly, this is one interpretation of the Strengths rules. A quick double-check of the book tells me that it doesn't explicitly say that you can apply a Duration Strength to an Instant power, though I don't see why you couldn't, really.

There is still the problem that D/R is a power block power. Ripple Shield works as a defense even if say, you had no more actions that round, just the way a force field would.

Please no more suggestions about *other* powers. This thread is to discuss my particular build, not create new ones.

As described above, an enhancement and a power cannot be linked. The other writers are suggesting alternatives which would have a similar effect to what you desire and avoid this problem. That is definitely on-topic.

I'm sorry if people won't agree to rubber-stamp your idea, but sometimes people don't agree with you. In a cooperative setting, the burden is on you to create something which is agreeable to the others.

Let's keep discussing this.

Okay it looks like this needs clarification.

I am not asking about the Ripple Shield.

I am asking about if the knockback bonus from the enhancment can apply to the knockback created by the immolate.

People seem to be missing the point.

And yes I know this is not technically by the book but it is quite in theme and the book *does* allow for such things as modifying powers and enhancments, cross linking enhancments or powers to other attributes and even creating new powers or enhancments whole cloth if it is deemed appropriate by the storyteller.

For further consideration: There *is* a precedent of an enhancment that effects a power: enhanced movement stacks with Hypermovement.

Yes/No.

Yes. You may stack Irresistable Force with Immolate, in an attack fashion.

Example: You have Immolate active and punch me. I'd suffer the effects of both Immolate's damage pool as well as your Mega-Str and Irresistable Force.

No. If used in a defensive manner you may not apply the knockback bonus to Immolate because the Enhancement specifically states it enhances your attacks, not passive damage through the result of 'auras' or 'burning'.

Example: You have Immoalte active, I punch you. I suffer Immolate damage but it's because I got too close. I do not suffer knockback because the enhancement states it affects your attacks not mine.

You are mostly correct in a by the book sense Rev. However your example is slightly incorrect.

Someone striking an Immolate would take knockback if they didnt have much of a might skill total, since knockback effects can be applied to anything that does damage (with exceptions as noted in the book lethal attacks which do half knockback and common sense things like lasers and flamethrowers). You are correct in that under the RAW, the immolate would not benefit from the enhancment. However in the spirit of my theme and the precedents I listed previously I am asking the group if it would mind this customization.

I know I am not the first person here who has come up with an unusual way of looking at the mechanics in attempt to do something different.

Aside from arguing the rules, which allow for modifications, does anyone have a reason why I shouldnt have an immolate, that while not doing any more damage than normal, will throw an opponent back farther than normal?

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
You are correct in that under the RAW, the immolate would not benefit from the enhancment.

It's not really up for debate if I'm right, now is it? RAW is all that matters when I'm answering a question about RAW, is it not?

The answer I gave is correct, Immolate is not affected by the enhancement. The question was never about standard knock back. If you'd like to split hairs please don't waste my time, I'm trying to help you by providing you with the answers you asked for. We're not discussing lasers and flame throwers. I kept my answer in line with the topic, Immolate, and the Enhancement.

Quote:
Aside from arguing the rules, which allow for modifications, does anyone have a reason why I shouldn't have an immolate, that while not doing any more damage than normal, will throw an opponent back farther than normal?

Nova will do what Nova pleases, it's her forum. My opinions as a player really don't matter. No matter what we decide, she's the only one with the yes/no powers.

I'd just take it up with her.

Whoa! No need to be offended. I didnt realize you were taking normal knockback into account from the way you worded it.

And the reason it *is* up to debate is that the RAW aren't laws from god in stone. They have always been able to modified by players or STs wishing to do something out of the box.

Nova has assured me that I have done the correct thing in petitioning the group.

I don't have a problem with it. If we were talking rule interpretations then I'd probably side with Rev, but this discussion is about customizing a power. As such, I don't have a problem with what you are proposing. It doesn't do more damage and it is all about the theme/cinematic of the character rather than about numbers, so more power to ya (in the non mechanics sense).

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Nova will do what Nova pleases, it's her forum. My opinions as a player really don't matter. No matter what we decide, she's the only one with the yes/no powers.

I'd just take it up with her.

He did. I advised him to run it past everyone else, so that we'd all get a chance to look at it and comment. I don't know everything, and I don't know what's best for everyone all the time, so I like to get as much community input as I can. . .

then I put my foot down and make a decision! =D

No, no permanent powers or anything. In fact he will burn through juice incredibly fast at full power and cant maintain it for very long
That's true. Irr-Force is per attack in combat. He'd just bleed juice.

It's a little off but not unbalanced, I don't have a problem with it. Immolate is already an attack and Ir-F is build to do what he's using it for.

Quote:
That's true. Irr-Force is per attack in combat.

Actually it remains active for the scene., but you are correct in that he bleeds juice at full power, mostly due to the linkages I took which force him to pay through the nose for activation.

Yes.

Although I should mention a common misconception is that Mega Str will help you resist knockback. According to the rules you compare with the targt's Might *skill* total, whereas M Str adds to damage and might *rolls*. In this case there is no roll.

Put another way is that just because you are strong doesnt mean you can keep your feet. On the other hand being denser or having growth (which also adds to weight) helps quite a bit. Immovable Object would work too.

Enhancement+Powers=Bad precedent.

Yes, Enhanced Movement and Hypermovement, i understand. But basically those two were written in and basically are simply the same power stacked so as to allow the megasuperspeeds people expect from speedsters.

Thats a better answer, thank you. I can see why one would fear setting a precedent that would open things up for abuse. However isnt that the point of discussing these things on a case by case basis? With so many voices I doubt somethng egregrious is going to pass muster.

I would also like to add that after discussing the upper limit ramifications of my proposal with Mr. Fox, he deemed it acceptable, if that means anything to anybody.

Keep in mind that I'm not a rules lawyer and I don't claim to be an expert on the mechanics. The idea sounds alright to me, I'll let those with more expertise poke holes in it if they can. As a thematic addition to the character I think it is fine.

Okay, so superficially it looks like there is 2 votes for no and 4 qualified votes for yes (or at least not having problems with it) including one of the mods.

Lee Kirby and Sakurako seemed to like the genral concept but didnt speak as to my actual question so until they say otherwise they can be considered undecided.

Quote:
including one of the mods.

So? Should I be impressed? Does a mods vote count as two or something? A vote is a vote, and considering that vote is from someone who gives second eruptions in the form 20+ NP awards for his characters I find it suspect. In my opinion he'd agree to anything spat out by the right person.

While there is nothing wrong with your concept, I'm all for customizing, I have to ask: Why do you need knock back so bad? Why does it have to be knock back and not just dramatic license that states when they hit you they fell over and just got back up?

Considering the enhancement lasts for a scene he wouldn't blow through juice quite as quickly as you're promising. He could spend 10QP and get +20 to knock back for the entire scene. The facts aren't presented accurately.

Not that'll be voting, frankly I don't care what you do.

Quote:
That's true. Irr-Force is per attack in combat.
Actually it remains active for the scene., but you are correct in that he bleeds juice at full power, mostly due to the linkages I took which force him to pay through the nose for activation.
??? Looking it up... you're right. My bad, it is per scene and not per attack.

Originally Posted By: VileBill
Enhancement+Powers=Bad precedent.
True.

I'll vote that I'm pretty much against anything that mixes power and enhancements into a unifed action (stacking bonuses from seperate powers are different). The two are very different, and never should be allowed to co-mingle.

So I think that's a no, if I understand the mechanics of what The Fool is asking correctly.

Archived