Aberrant: In the Beginning - Peter Bell

Peter Bell

For the first time, she looked flustered. He'd surprised her with the request for personal information. "Well, as for what we do, I work on other cases and wait. You relax and wait. I mean... we could get her address in seconds, but I want to know what's going on with her before approaching her. That'll take some time, a few hours, minimum, and that's assuming the cogs of the machine roll smoothly. If there's something more there than is apparent, it'd be good to know that before confronting her. And there will probably be a confrontation. I want to do this officially, in case she runs. That means calling in a bit of backup and being ready for whatever she might pull."

She seemed a bit more sure, since she'd steered the conversation back to work. "When we go on, you're going to remain in the car. I know you, you want to be up there. Well, tough. You're a civilian, and you'll wait where it's safe. And you'll be in protective gear."

Peter nodded; he could argue later, if he felt like it. Right now, he was after something else. "Don't you get to relax, too? You talked about burnout. I'm sure it applies to you, too. What do you do to relax?"

"Uh, I..." Alvarez sighed and looked out the window. Just when Peter was sure she was about to say she didn't have a hobby, she mumbled, "I collect...rachet paintings."

Peter tried not to laugh, and ended up choking slightly. He really tried not to laugh, but that had been the last thing he'd expected. "Rachet paintings? Like painted rachets, or paintings of rachets?"

Dania threw him a withering look. "I said, Rorschach paintings," she explained, her naturally tinted skin looking darker still as a blush crept up her cheeks. "You know. Inkblots."

"You like those? Interesting," Peter said, and congratulated himself on not sounding like he was trying not to laugh. "Why?"

"They're... damn it. I hate this." She looked frustrated, and Peter decided that she didn't talk to people about herself much.

"There's nothing wrong with that," Peter said. "I just wondered why... why they appeal to you. Remember, I'm an artist. I like to know what art evokes in people."

"Well... ok, they're so clean," Dania said. When he nodded encouragingly, she added, "It's just black and white, so it's simple, but it's complicated, with all the patterns. You can see something new each time you look at it. It's always interesting." Her face was darker than he'd ever seen it, and she looked self-conscious as she tucked some loose hair behind her ear. "Dumb, huh?"

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Dumb? Hardly. That shows a creative mind and an expressive sense of perception. I like it."

Peter smiles shyly.

"You like simplicity in your life. Clean black and white. Good and evil. Innocent and guilty. Right and wrong. I like it."

They rode another few minutes in silence.

"I would like to paint you a Rorschach at some point and time. Once created just for you. Let the art just flow out of me and see what we get. Would you like that?"

He hoped she would. He hoped they could form some kind of real connection with Dania, sort of like what he had with Ellen. She was surprisingly easy to work with. She struggled to get him and was pretty successful. More than that, she had the foresight to give him a chance - a chance to make a difference.

"So, what do you think? This one you won't have to hide away from the rest of your office," he joked with a kind lilt to his voice.

"You're ah... getting a bit personal there, aren't you?" Dania asked. Her face, even in long shadows being thrown by the building, could now be matched with his tube of sepia paint. "I mean... personal gifts?" She tried to make it a joke, but her tone betrayed her awkwardness.

"Is that a no, you wouldn't like it?" he asked, grinning at her.

"That's... I don't know, Peter," she said, looking uncomfortable. But he could see the interested spark in her eyes, and he knew that was at the center of her awkwardness. "I would like it. I just don't know if you should."

"Why not?"

"Because, you're working with me," she said. "You're... We have to be careful about fraternizing." And she'd just betrayed her real discomfort here. But this wouldn't be the first time Peter had gotten that reaction from a woman before.

"I'm not on the force, Dania. As you said, I'm a civilian."

He turned so that he was sitting, facing her.

"I don't think you give yourself enough credit. I mean, I can't be the only man to realize how bright you are, and that's sexy."

He took a deep breath,

"But I realize we should take this at your pace. I'm serious about making this work a part of my life and my mind's eye. I'm happy that I have someone like you to help me through this. I need you to make sense of he weirdness I create. I also need you to smile at me when I'm frustrated ... or kick me in the ass when I need it."

Peter sits back to facing forward.

"I just want you to know that I want you."

"You want me what?" she asked, then her brain caught up with her mouth. "Wait... no, you can't mean that! Not like... that."

"I can't?" Peter asked, smiling. "Why can't I mean it like that?"

"I'm..." There were a hundred things she could have said in response, but the thing she finally said was, "I'm flattered." As if the admission had eased her fears, she seemed to relax a little. "But why me? I mean... nevermind, you said that. I'm not... this is weird."

Peter's smile has some mischief in it.

"Yeah. The whole world has become weird, or a bit weirder I guess. I don't want my attraction towards you to come between us. I like you and I like you as a partner. I'm not used to having a partner."

He seems to concentrate for a moment.

"Scratch that. I have Ellen. I've never hit on her. She's like my artistic partner. She knows the business side of art and I get messy. She's always been a good friend to me ever since I started out on my own."

"I'm not sure how the two of you would get along though. You may be too similar - smart, driven, loyal, headstrong."

Not sure what to say next, Peter goes with his gut.

"Say, are you a bit hungry? This Novus metabolism is for the birds."

Peter's ramblings didn't seem to have helped Dania understand anything better. She looked more confused than ever, and seemed only too eager to get food. "Mexican ok?" she asked.

"It's food, right?" Peter asked with one of his charming smiles.

Dania chuckled. "Yes, it's food." She took him to a small, cozy restaurant, one of a hundred Mom-n-Pop diners across the city. After they'd ordered and were munching on complimentary chips, Dania asked, "So ah... do you like being a novus? I mean, it sounds good... is it?"

"I'm smarter, faster, stronger, and more durable than I ever was before and that's just part of my new normal physiology. I'm genetically different now. What I enjoy the most is how I can see a piece of work come together inside my mind before a single stroke is made. I can see such potential. My greater gift, the ability to see into the future, stems from this gift."

"Also, I always want to do things now. I always want to peek into the future and know more. I'm not sure if that's a good thing though. I need to use my mind more and my Mind's Eye less ... in order to stay sane."

"I don't think any of us want to see an insane Novus," he says sadly, thinking of Sacha trapped within Farenheit. "But I think the power we all yield yearns to leat loose."

"Yes, I think of it as some sort of living entity. I know they say its just quantum forces, but I've seen too many of us change with the onset of the power. I think sometimes its a good thing, as we become more noble and forethright, but what about the negative impulses? I worry about those."

Peter stops talking when the food arrives.

"There is some belief that we Novus aren't human any more. I believe that too. I also believe that while I may be different on some fundemental level, I still have the ability to act humane and be a better sentient being than I was before my 'eruption.' I think all of us are going to have to make that choice eventually."

"And that is what it means for me to be a Novus: Genetic change and a moral conudrum. Now that we are different, how different do we want to become."

She looked more and more distressed as he spoke. "Those are some disturbing thoughts. How do you think you are going to handle that?" Dania said. "Your family, your friends... how will they handle it? How... what do you think they'll do when they decide you're no longer human?

"For that matter, what will you do? You've said act humane and be a better sentient, but what does that mean?" she asked, her voice shaking a little. She wasn't sure that he'd be ok with her probbing him this closely. He'd not had a problem with it before, but that didn't mean he'd still welcome it. Especially not when she was talking about him being not a human anymore. In the past, that'd meant 'not a person' and Dania wasn't sure what that meant anymore. Peter was clearly a person, but what was he?

"You should be distrubed. We Novus represent some pretty radical changes in how power is represented. As for me, I have no family. They died in a car wreck when I was sixteen. I have only one close friend and she seems good with me being different. I don't know what she will do when it really sinks in that I'm not the man she met a year ago out of college. I would like to think that she will remember how I have remained a close friend to her since my becoming."

"For me, being different means doing more and acting more on my impulses. I would like to say that I was a good man before, but I didn't go out of my way to help others. I was kind, but not giving. Now I know that I can make a difference and I want to help out. Even before the incident yesterday at the deli, I know I wanted to work with the police. I wanted to use my gift to fight crimes. I felt like the natural thing for me to do. It would have been nearly impossible for me to turn away and go back to my old lifestyle and values."

"I really can't describe in words how I know I'm different. I just know that I am because of the power I manipulate. I know that normal humans don't have these kinds of powers and other novus like me do. It seperates us. Just like I can't fully describe what it is to be human, I can't codify the Novus existance. I just know we are different. Does that make sense?"

"In a way, but that doesn't help the problem at all," Dania said. "It's not enough to say that we're going to be different, we have to find the common things we have. Diversity is all well and good, but it doesn't bring people together. It makes them alien. If you want unity, you have to find common ground."

Dania sighed and pushed the food around. "I'm Hispanic, so I've been subject to discrimination. And all that diversity stuff... it never helped. If anythin-" The buzz of a phone cut her off and Dania picked it up. "Yeah?" she said and Peter watched as her eyes widened. "We're on our way."

She snapped the phone off. "We have another shooting. I want you to sketch the body before they move it. Eat up and come on. No hurry, though - everyone else is going to take a look before we do. We'll be the last, right before the coroner."

Peter immediately orders a "To-Go" box.

"We can go in a second. I'll eat in the car."

"Dania, this isn't something I want. It is something that is going to exist for me and the rest of the Novus. Trust me, I would rather be a normal Joe with Kewl Powers ... but I'm not. I can't fool myself and act like I'm not different."

As the food container arrives, Peter quickly pays for the bill. He remains silent until they get back to the car. Once they are driving again, Peter sighs.

"Dania, are you going to look past the reality that I'm different and still remain my friend," he askes shyly.

Dania nodded, smiling at him. Darkness had fallen while they'd eaten and the lights created bizarre patterns in the car. "I'd be your friend, Peter," she said. That seemed good, but she added, "For as long as I can. I have to be honest, I hear talk from the cops about how they're going to police supers. And there is talk of lots of things, all of them unpleasant.

"I'm sorry... I need to change the subject," she said. "At the crime scene, I need you to promise not to touch anything unless you ask the techs if you can or not. I don't want evidence compromised. You're going to be there on my recognition, so please don't screw it up."

"Don't make you look bad. Gotchya Chief," he joked. Peter looked ahead then repeated to her for her own sanity's sake.

"Don't touch anything unless I have the technicians okay. Don't compromise evidence. I'm there on your dime. I understand."

"Once I get there and set up, we still need to worry about my trances. I don't move much, but I do move a little. I am probably going to need someone standing close by me when I work - just in case."

"And thank you for being my friend. I know nothing lasts forever and you have your job that comes first. Until then," he pronounces in a more ominous tone than intended, "or if, such things come to pass ... we'll do great things."

The crime scene was not like anything Peter had seen before. For starters, there were a lot of people. He'd seen extra milling around in crime dramas, but those people weren't milling aimlessly, filling up the background. They were working, and working hard. No one was staring at the body; they were all assessing the body or taking measurements.

Peter wasn't sure he could handle the body. Seeing it in the lab had allowed him to distance himself from the corpse until Dania has pointed it out, but here in a dark New York alley, it seemed to poignantly human. The man was sprawled face-down, though there wasn't much face left. A single shot to the back of his head had taken off the front of his skull. Swallowing hard, Peter lifted his notepad and started to draw, anxious to escape into the trance.

As the world faded from his view, Dania by his side, he wondered what he would find when he was done.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The image before him was confusing. The body lay across the bottom of the page while a woman was featured in the center of the image, above him. She was walking toward the viewer in a long trench coat and a black shirt with a stylized skull on it. Behind her, an unfamiliar young man watched her, his face confused.

"Nice. Hey, dummy, the Punisher is a guy, not a chick," a uniformed officier laughed. "Alvarez, you brought your pet psychic and held up the coroner so he could draw comics?"

Alvarez flushed but insisted, "It's a clue. Don't you have work to do, officer?" Grumbling, the uniform wondered away, shaking his head.

For a moment, Peter had dark thoughts then it occurred to him.

"Dan ... Detective Alvarez, put this picture in a scanner. Crop out the outer details center on the face. That's our killer."

Peter was smiling.

"It's not a comic book. Its a portrait. Its what I do. This is our woman!"

He continues to look at the picture.

"I don't know what to make of her outfit, or the man behind her. Maybe we can blow it up and do some sort of ID check? It's worth a shot."

Peter looks up and over to the uniformed officer.

"Hey! Wait. What can you tell us about this Punisher character? What was his motivations? What was his background? This picture is a clue to what happened here and I wouldn't have drawn her in this gear if it wasn't important."

Important like my intersection with you, my skeptical friend."

Peter seems upbeat and decisive, like he is really doing something with this case.

"It looks kinda like the woman in the photo at the graveside," Dania said. "It looks a bit like Huntson... doesn't it?"

Peter took another look, then pulled the photo from the funeral out of the folder and looked again. There was a resemblance there, though the woman in the drawing looked older and harder. But Winters had only died two years ago, so if it was Huntson, she shouldn't have aged that much. "The differences... it could me doing a different style, to match a comic book."

"Or to make her look more like Frank Castle," the uniform said. He'd walked back when called and had listened to them, his skeptism falling away as they had talked. He saw their blank looks at the name. "You know, the Punisher?"

"I don't read comics," Alvarez said, putting her hands on her hips.

"Right, so the Punisher's family was killed by mobsters, so now he wages a one-man war against crime," the uniform said. His eyes flicked down to the newest body. "Is he-?"

"I think so," Alvarez said, "though we haven't made a positive id." She glanced at Peter. "Thoughts?"

"I think this gives the missing officer a greater chance of still being with us. If she is trying to start a mob war, how is she getting this information to do what she is doing?"

Peter shakes his head.

"I still think this is what she looks like, but I agree that the aging is an anomoly."

Sigh.

"I guess this guy's identity will tell us whether or not he is a mobster, or mob-related. If he is, then the Punisher model works and Hunston is our killer for sure."

"I still want to know who this other guy is? Maybe he is a mobster who is confused by the killings, or ... maybe not."

"Yeah, I wanna know who he is, too," Dania sighed. "He might offer a clue... or he might be a witness!" She handed the drawing to the uniform. "Copy that and circulate the two images around. I want them both found."

She glanced at Peter. "Can you do anything else, or are we done here?" She was starting to rely on his powers; he could tell. She wanted him to help her find the answers she so desperately wanted.

He shook his head.

"I think we have to wait on the world to catch up with our questions. We need to know who this guy is? It will take time to find the other guy in the picture. We need to find out more about Huntson."

He looks at Dania then grins. Peter is starting to feel the first twinges of fatigue in his node.

"I could go straight to the source and make a picture of Huntson? Why don't I?"

With that he takes out the picture once again. He recalls the picture of her both from the picture he just drew as well as her photograph at the funeral. His coal touched the rough texture of he paper once more and all else faded into nothingness.

Three tombstones decorated the picture. Huntson's face floated above the markers, her eyes closed as if sleeping or dead. At the bottom, redolant across the graves, a crocodile snoozes.

"What in the world?" Dania asked. "Did..." She didn't finish, but her face said it all - "Did you mess this one up?" "What is with the crocodile?"

"Something to do with animals?" the officer wandering by asked. "Maybe a pet store?"

"Idiot, you can't get pet crocs at a pet store, not legally anyway," another officer said. "Zoo, dude."

"What about the body found at the zoo a couple of days ago?"

Dania turned to Peter. "Is it worth looking at?"

• 2 weeks later...

Peter looks at Dania.

"I'm not sure. I think it is supposed to be something that has relevance to whomever ends up seeing it. I suppose the body at the zoo is a place to look. It couldn't hurt, but ..."

I don't know.

Peter shakes his head in frustration,

"I just don't know. I need to head back to ... someplace were I can think about it. I pray something comes to me because the only thing I'm thinking about is those wackos in Egypt. Wasn't one of them a Crocidile gods? Was he ever captured or accounted for?"

"God! I just don't know."

Peter looks at Dania.

"I think I've done as much good here as I can for now. I can go wait in the car, or walk around and see if I can spot something that does make sense."

"I think we're both done," Dania sighed. "At this point, we're waiting for the information to come back. I've walked around the scene myself, but we were the last here, so finding something new is unlikely. And to be honest, I'm bushed." She did look tired, and Peter was once again reminded that she didn't have his stamina. Still, she managed to smile for him as they walked back to the car.

"They should have the information tomorrow," Dania said. "You wanna go home for now? I'll give you a ride." How strange, that a woman who had just two days ago been so angry was now smiling nicely at him and being generous. It was an odd life Peter had.

"Home would be nice. Could I beg a stop-by for some take out. I have like jack to eat at my place."

As the got underway, Peter looked around and smiled.

"Thanks Dania for making me feel involved. I has meant a lot to me and I promise you I will get better at this stuff once I finally get a handle on it."

He hurried when they got the food and stopped himself from making a fool of himself by inviting her up, even though he had enough food for two. She was tired and had made her feelings clear. It would be a better spent effort teasing her when she was in a better mood.

Peter put the rest of the food away and lay down for a nice long sleep. He hoped he would dream about crocidiles and just what the hell it meant to the case. He hoped he would wake up to a huge pile of information that would resolve this case and bring that missing policeman home. He hoped for a lot of things.

• 1 month later...

Peter did dream, but while it was interesting, it wasn't very helpful to this case. At lear, he was pretty sure that a sex dream involving Dania didn't have any bearing on what was happening. Though he had to admit, if it did have bearing, he was extremely interested in pursuing that angle.

The phone ringing woke him up. Blearily, he answered it. "I'm Daniel Franklin and I'll be serving as your liaison for your project with Mr. Morgan. I'm calling to see what supplies you'll need." The deep, cultured voice on the end of the line stopped, then said, "I'm sorry Mr. Bell, did I call at a bad time?"

Oh God, its here already. That day.

"No. This time is no worse than the past forty-eigth hours."

"Umm ..." he cleared his mind of distractions, no matter how tempting they may be. His mind ordered quickly, Peter began listing off the items he would need. An easel, of course, and a number of different pencils and charcoal of differing quality. He also wanted a digital recorder to keep a record of the interviews and the artistic process he would be going through, or so he hoped.

That done, Peter contemplated his next phone call - this one initiated by him. He called Dania. He needed to tell her his job had come calling and what his schedule would be. It was more a case, he hoped, of were he would be when/if he was needed than any indication that he was any less intense in his desire to see this case solved. He hoped that's how the conversation would turn out.

"Oh, yeah," Dania said after he'd told her. He could hear the disappointment in her voice. "Your rich-man job. Well, call me when you're free again."

She hung up, and he could see the look of anger and disappointment on her face. She'd calm down soon enough. She might even call and apologize, later. Until then, the best thing would be to get things done as soon as possible.

As if Daniel had heard his thoughts, the phone rang again and his new assistant was on the line. "I've made arrangements for the materials. We have a list of people you'll painting, and I arranged a tentative schedule. We can alter that, though Mr. Morgan's slot cannot be changed. He'll be the last person you paint. Do you have any questions?"

Cheerfully Peter replies,

"Only that you might want to be made aware of that I am currently working on an ongoing police investigation. I'm sure we can do our best to get everyone interviewed on schedule as these things take some time."

"Anyway, I'm hoping that this is how its going to work out. Do you see any problems?"

He wasn't totally trying to torture the man, but he had decided that the crime and the lives it had taken up had a higher priority for him than Morgan's billions.

"Of course not," Daniel's precise voice assured him. "We are more than happy to work with your schedule, Mr. Bell. And should Mr. Morgan have a problem with your work, he'll contact you directly instead of going through an intermediary. Now, when may we expect you?"

"Well then, how about you tell me when the first person is going to be interviewed? I need to mold my schedule as much as possible around the interviews. I'm sure the artistic muse will come to me when I need it."

He was. He had figured out about five sessions was enough to tire him. That would still leave him two or three more visions before he was totally exhuasted ... if he had calculated it right. He could make Ellen happy by making them some money and still follow his newfound passion.

"Nine is fine," Peter responds. "Will I be meeting you then? I have a habit of wanting to meet people I'm dealing with over the phone."

It would also give him a chance to make a lunch run today for the detectives at the precinct. Maybe that would make some ammends. If he was insanely lucky, they might even get a break in the case.

"Of course, Mr. Bell," David replied easily. There was a hint of friendliness in his voice, a polite warmth that indicated that he wouldn't mind meeting Peter at all. "I am your assistant and will be spending much time with you over the coming days. Now, if you think of anything else you need, please let me know."

"I will," Peter said, then said his goodbyes and got off the phone. After calling a cab and running around to a few places, he had a large lunch in-hand for the Dania and her co-workers. But he ran into one of said co-workers before her.

"Hey, Michaelanglo, weren't you painting today?" Bert asked. Peter had seen him at one of the scenes; he couldn't remember if he was one of Peter's supporter or not.

The other detective, a petite black woman whom Peter had never met before, sniffed and laughed, "I think I smell an apology in that bag."

Peter looks down at the the lunch and smiles shyly.

"I would say one was sort of in order," he says to black woman he doesn't know.

"Oh, I'm Peter Bell."

He juggles the bags and offers to shake her hand.

To Bert,

"I may be just your regular New Yorker, born and bred, but I know this job is the important one."

His tone is serious and genuine. With a grin, he adds,

"Besides, I don't draw down those massive salaries that you get. I'm here on my own dime."

"Now can I get put this food down so you guys can eat it and I can talk to the head lady?"

"Clarissa," the woman said as she shook his hand. She had a firm grip and met his eyes boldly. When he mentioned eating, she grinned and grabbed some of the bags, leading him to a small kitchnette, the ubiqutious break room.

Bert trailed after them, amused. "Alvarez is in her office," he said, watching with interest as Peter and Clarissa arranged the food. "I think she's free at the moment, but you might check the in/out board first." He pointed with his thumb, then danced around Peter to grab a section of sub sandwich.

Peter smiled at Clarissa then nodded to Bert.

"I'd best go check in then."

He checked the In/Out board and she was in, supposedly. He made his way to her office. Knocking on the door he dared to stick his head in.

"Hello Lt. Alvarez. I brought some lunch for your team and you as well. Care for a bite to eat."

He cut himself off from saying he was here for the rest of the day. Best to let her get used to him being here without bringing up his schedule. It didn't seem wise.

Archived