Aberrant: In the Beginning - Fahrenheit

Fahrenheit

The Count's instincts were right on spot and Fahrenheit happily obliged as she lifted off in a pillar of fire. The fiery angel of wrath hovered several feet above the crowd looking down at them with contempt. They gathered like moths to the flame and they should burn just like that but Raoul was right - it would lead to war sooner than later. Discarding any further thoughts about giving in to her urges she flew off to Raoul's estate setting a palmtree on fire as she landed. She needed to vent some of her frustration and the tree was standing on the wrong spot anyway...

After a few minutes of watching the dancing flames she forced herself to douse the flames and assume a less dangerous form. Then she searched for the Mathematician whom she expected to be near the vicinity of the 'portal-event'. They had to make plans for their next step now that the Count has signaled he would join their movement - she needed the Mathematician's expertise before she decided who should be contacted next.

Now that she cooled off a little she even managed to smile. Raoul would be a powerful ally and maybe even more...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fahrenheit walked onto the portico, her first stop in her search for the Mathematician, and her last. It had changed somewhat from the way it looked almost two hours ago. Chalk drawings on the stone radiated out from a central spot. Near that spot, Pedro Santiago was making last minute adjustments to a... contraption probably described it best.

It seemed to have started it's career as a power chair of some kind. It now resembled something like a rolling crane, with a telescoping arm so long that it bowed under the weight of a Hi-8 digital camera.

The Mathematician straightened from making a connection, and noted Fahrenheit's approach. He preened a bit under her gaze, then stepped over a cable, and approached, smiling.

"Early, I see. Excellent. Then I can show you what I have done. Crude, but I think surprisingly effective design, considering the base materials."

He stepped to a nearby table and moved a towel, revealing a large remote control device. He toggled a joystick, and the chair backed away from its position with a jerk. It smoothed into a gentler track, and increased speed along a chalk-indicated path. It stopped nearby them.

The Mathematician looked at his watch, nodded.

"Eighteen minutes," he said, looking around, "Where is the Count?"

Fahrenheit gave the Mathematician an approving nod at his odd design but if it served the purpose she didn't care how it looked like.

"I think he won't make it in time. He is entertaining the masses while we can move on with our plans.", she came dangerously close to him as she put on a victorious smile.

"I've won him for our cause. He is joining us, Santiago.", she told him with some pride in her voice. As soon as they found out what this portal was about and had some answers Fahrenheit would try to make contact with the next Novus on her list.

"Did you see what happened earlier? The Count said he saw me - or a version of me and I must confess I was under the same impression. Something about her eyes... when she touched me I felt something happening to me but I can't really tell what it was", she wasn't really sure if the Mathematician was still able to see or had some other means of perception. He surely didn't act as if he was blind... who knew what he saw or not?

Though gratified to know that Orzaiz thought as they did, and was willing to join with them, if only in conversation, the Mathematician looked grim at her question.

"I 'saw'. She was you in the eyes, yes. But... her body was Sascha's and she... she had no fire in her. I am forced to admit that I do not understand what I saw."

He didn't look at all happy about it, either. He looked at his watch, and sprang to the table to find a doo-dad to the bottom of the camcorder. It seemed more that he wished for something to do, than any actual hurry.

Fahrenheit nodded at Santiago deciding to wait before she asked more questions or started to speculate what this encounter meant. There were too many options and missing details but what she needed to know was if this posed a threat to her or not.

... she had no fire in her..., she had overheard that the first time but now it echoed through her mind. Something must've happened or maybe she was thinking about it in wrong ways. Of course Sascha held no power over fire - she was just human... a vessel... wasn't she?

Fahrenheit stared at Santiago's construction absentmindedly pondering the meaning of his words. The meaning of why she was in control of Sascha's body and if there was a connection between the two of them beyond sharing the same body. Did her father keep a secret about her? Was this part of the test? She had to find out more about this - it quickly became her prime objective.

"Santiago - we must find out what this means - please consider every possible theory and if there are questions just ask them, maybe I can provide some answers.", she had a hunch but didn't want to share any of her thoughts or assumptions. At this moment she didn't want to display any weakness - not more than necessary.

Santiago nodded, looked thoughtful. He rubbed absently at his chin as he thought. Fahrenheit was surprised to see that he looked tired. He spoke.

"I will try, my Lady. In the meanwhile, this portal may tell us something." He fiddled with the remote casing.

"And, soon, we must see Scripture. I do not know if he is aware that Mal has gone, but he must be made aware if not. He must also be told of your... status."

The Mathematician worked while they talked. He looked at his watch. He nodded, showed the watch to Fahrenheit. It was almost time. He held the remote tightly. In the chalk circle, a marble sized blob of white appeared.

"There, do you see?"

It swelled, and shrank, vanished. Reappeared. It widened to the size of an automobile, then contracted to basketball dimensions. Santiago moved the contraption forward along its chalk path. Behind her, Fahrenheit heard running footsteps. She glanced back to find Orzaiz coming quickly.

"Did I miss- oh, excellent." He gazed at the portal area raptly.

The portal vanished. They stared at the spot for a moment. And another. Fahrenheit opened her mouth to ask if something was wrong.

"Now." The Mathematician spoke calmly.

The portal opened up to nine foot by four foot dimensions. The camera on the end of the telescoping rod pierced the portal. The contraption shivered, but kept rolling slowly forward.

Pedro Santiago laughed aloud.

"It's working!"

Fahrenheit tried to hide her surprise about the mentioning of yet another Novus who seemed to be acquainted with her father. His name was intriguing and looking at the Count and Santiago she found herself feeling more and more comfortable in their situation. It looked like they would soon have a good base of like minded, yet different Novus who'd have enough power and influence to make a difference for the future. The future of their fledling nation.

"Good... once we found out the nature of this... portal we shall meet with him. I assume he was a friend of my father, just like you?"

She wished her father had given her more time to learn about his friends and connections. Maybe even about the reason for his decision to leave and entrust her with something she wasn't sure she could handle. It filled her with pride that he was confident enough to trust in her abilities and she would do everything in her power to achieve that goal - but she could also lose everything...

Santiago's enthusiastic voice brought her out of her reverie

"It is? Let me see."

"Hmmm... what? Oh, yes.... yes, a friend."

Pedro had seemed absorbed by his contraption at the time. But now he was riveted. He held the remote rock steady and followed the power chair, watching the monitor attached to the back of it. When Fahrenheit and Orzaiz stepped up next to him to see, the screen showed a tunnel of twisting white. Swirls of color flashed through the screen, then... snow.

Pedro moved the chair back so quickly that it almost knocked him down. Just in time, as the portal's 4 second window was up. It closed and vanished just as the camera emerged. The three novas stood and caught their breath. Santiago moved first, to recover the camera.

"All I saw was snow, " Orzaiz said skeptically.

"It was!" Santiago said exitedly, "Look!"

He pointed to the camera, where they could clearly see several large flakes of snow sticking to the plastic surface. As they watched, they melted in the Ibiza morning sunshine.

Fahrenheit watched the melting snow but couldn't share Pedro's enthusiasm. Maybe she lacked the scientific gene to appreciate the result of this odd experiment.

"It's snow.. but you make it sound like it's the greatest discovery since... since the invention of the wheel? Maybe we should ask from where it came? Can you find out more about this? I can't imagine that people would be too excited about snow in the middle of the Mediterranean.", she tried to appreciate this revelation although it was rather underwhelming for her.

The news about Scripture were far more interesting so she gave Pedro another expecting look.

"So when did you want to introduce me to this Scripture?", the day was young and she had little time to lose. Maybe this Scripture had some more answers available than this enigmatic Mathematician.

The Mathematician's brow wrinkled into what might have been a frown. It was hard to read a face without eyes. He spoke slowly, uncertainly.

"Yes... the snow came from the other side of the portal. And yet it transmitted the image through the portal from the camera to the screen. I had not even hoped for that, to tell you the truth. I will analyze the footage, and see if I can tell where it was. Then I will have more for you."

He shrugged at her question.

"Scripture is in California. We can fly to meet him whenever you wish, I suppose."

"Good.", Fahrenheit commented sharply.

California... she contemplated for a moment if she preferred staying here in Ibiza or not lose any time. Fahrenheit looked at Raoul with a thoughtful mien. This Scripture could have some answers - or maybe even more questions.

"Would you mind accompanying us to California and meet this Scripture my friend is talking about? I would hate to end this day right now.", Fahrenheit did her best to convince Raoul to accept her invitation.

Even if he declines I have to go. There's simply too much at stake to pass up on this opportunity.

Both men looked at Fahrenheit with open mouths. Then Raoul threw back his head and laughed. Pedro closed his slowly, his numbers whirling like mad.

The portico was in shambles: chalk drawings scrawled across the stone floor, machine parts littered the area as well.

The Count spoke first, chuckling:

"You do shift quickly, don't you, my lady?"

The Mathematician added:

"Eminently correct, my lady. It will take time to process this data, and determine our next step. Courtesy demands that we see Scripture in person, ipso facto, we must to California."

Raoul:

"Of course I must follow you. I have but recently joined your...alliance, it cannot end yet. Besides," he grinned at her suddenly, "I still say we will end up at Amnesia. It's that kind of place."

Pedro:

"This entire area must be cordoned off, Count. No one must step anywhere near the portal while we are gone. I will put a web camera up here, and a global..." He continued talking while going inside the French doors. A moment later he came out again, still talking: "...so that in any case the reception will be uninterrupted. However, it will be for nothing if the area is disturbed.

Raoul cocked his eyebrow at his new ally.

"And... we also wouldn't want anyone to step into the portal by mistake. Likely they wouldn't be prepared for snow, as the least of their problems, I'm sure." Without waiting for a reply, he turned towards the building and raised his voice. It was not a 'shout' by any means, "Jin," yet from somewhere the massive Asian man stepped out onto the portico. He towered over the three of them, and wore a charcoal tailored suit. He inclined ever so slightly at the waist

"Yes, Lord," His English was flawless.

"Jin, no one may walk in this area." Raoul said it matter-of-factly.

The man nodded almost imperceptibly.

"Yes, Lord."

The Count turned to his new associates. He smiled broadly.

"Shall we pack, or just go as we are? I think that I shall enjoy an adventure with the two of you."

Fahrenheit just nodded at Raoul giving him a sultry smile. "It's my nature, I suppose. After all, Fire is all consuming and if something arouses my attention I have to go for it. Simple like that."

She beckoned for one of Raoul's servants who tried his best to ignore her naked form. Looking at her he waited patiently for her request.

"Get me one of the other dresses we purchased... I think I know what to do this time to prevent its destruction by my flame.", she looked at her hands and then back to Raoul.

"I think when I touched my... alter ego through that portal she gave me something. And I think I gave her something without knowing. There was some kind of connection.", she paused for a moment and shrugged off any further thoughts about this strange incident.

"Anyway - I say we go as we are and maybe Scripture is game enough to come back with us to Amnesia?", while she spoke the servant brought the bags with the dresses bag which she briefly inspected. She gave the dress a short look and concentrated briefly, then she set herself on fire and put the dress on which unlike the times before didn't burn to ashes. Once she was done she doused the flames and stood perfectly groomed and presented herself to Raoul. The only thing she was lacking were matching shoes.

"Ready when you are.", smiling at both men enjoying herself far too much. She liked it if she could keep them on their toes. She was dangerous and loved it.

Roughly forty minutes later, the CORE International private plane taxied out onto the runway. Inside, the Mathematician viewed his monitors with interest. Fully half of them were devoted to the live feed of the area where the portal had opened. The rest were tuned to 24hour news stations, and stock market feeds.

Count Raoul Orzaiz reclined in a plush chair and sipped gingerly at a mimosa. Having made arrangements with Jin regarding the disposition of the household, he traveled alone.

"How long of a flight is this?" he asked idly.

Without looking around, Santiago replied:

"Eighteen hours, eleven minutes, plus or minus nine minutes. We should arrive at approximately 8:19 p.m. local time in San Francisco."

The Count nodded, smiled at Fahrenheit.

"So, what shall we do in the meantime, my lady?"

Fahrenheit was already acquainted with The Mathematician's generously designed private Jet and excused herself for a moment to change into something more comfortable for the flight. She liked the expensive piece of haute couture they had bought in Ibiza but knowing that 18 hours of flight was ahead of them she didn't see any real use wearing it now.

The Mathematician's choice of wardrobe didn't give her much options and when it came down to being 'comfortable' she had 3 options.

Going naked, which she wouldn't have minded but the men might...

Wearing the Aeon-Society's jogging suit which Sascha had original worn when she 'escaped' from their facility.

Or a black elaborately laced negligé with stockings and a silken robe that matched the theme of semitransparency. That didn't seem appropriate either. Fahrenheit briefly considered burning it to ashes but discarded that thought. She had no intention of unnecassarily endangering the passengers of Santiago's plane.

When she came back Fahrenheit was wearing nothing but a cotton bathrobe. That was comfortable enough, maybe not really high fashion but given her exotic beauty she could've worn a rice sack and it would've looked good on her. The bright white cloth contrasted against her deep crimson skin and her long black hair fell fluidly over her shoulders covering her exposed cleavage partially. It was a tease and she knew it but it was all part of the plan.

Fahrenheit reclined on a comfortable chair just across to Raoul and seductively crossed her legs as she sipped from her drink giving him a sultry look.

"We talked, we had breakfast and investigated a paranormal phenomenon and now we're on our way to shape the future. I think we've earned ourselves some leisure time.", there was no denying that she felt really attracted to the Count. He was both physically impressive and incredibly charismatic and she wouldn't mind spending some time with him together... intimately.

Somewhere deep in the back of her mind Sascha screamed in panic and pain. The young adolescent dreaded what was happening. Until now she watched everything with growing concern but now Fahrenheit was pushing things towards something she would never ever approve. A voiceless scream echoed inside her. Sasche was held prisoner... once again.

But Sascha was weak, and easily ignored, while Fahrenheit was a goddess. She smiled across the cabin at the Count, who returned her smile with a toothsome grin of his own. And there it was. One of those moments where a man and a woman, or a god and a goddess if you will, almost share a telepathy. She knows, and so does he. Now it's only a question of when. A building of pressure on her chest indicated the takeoff of the plane. It only added to the moment, and she saw that reflected in Raoul's eyes too.

"It is at penetration that one can see the clearest."

Startled, the two turned to Pedro, who has half of his monitor bank synched into a single image in checkerboard. It is blurry and bobbing up and down, but obviously shows the milk-white of the portal.

"Just as the tip penetrates the opening... now."

Suddenly the screen froze, and clearly in perfect focus they could see an ice formation with a snow arch behind. Behind that was clearly a full moon. The snow and ice shone in an eerie echo of the moonlight. In the middle distance, a fur covered figure lay prone on the snow.

The Mathematician spoke excitedly.

"Now that we know the transmission will come through, we can thrust the camera in without regard to recovery. Though the portal close and sever the shaft, it can still be recorded. Yes."

Raoul caught her eye, with a twinkle in his own. His twitching lips were testimony of his barely concealed mirth.

Fahrenheit chuckled first mirroring Raoul's mirth and then she started laughing... wholeheartidly laughing most likely to the Mathematician's chagrin. Her eyes spoke volumes and she gave Raoul a wink as she stood up.

"I must apologize, my calculating friend", she said standing slowly up still giggling. Tossing her hair over her shoulders in a very inviting and seductive way Fahrenheit walked towards her quarters stopping briefly at the door as she undid the knot of her bathrobe. Just before she past through the door Raoul could see how the bathrobe fell to the floor, giving him a short sight of her perfectly shaped backside.

Craning her neck briefly to the side and glancing past her shoulder Fahrenheit's smile left no doubt what she expected next...

The Count reclined in his chair, legs crossed at the ankles. The tip of one finger pressed to his lips as he watched her through the door way. With the almost-telepathy of the moment, Fahrenheit saw him consider the flash-fire nature of this encounter, then watched him reject the thinking as beneath him. He removed the finger and with it and his thumb he stroked his moustache.

And she saw the decision. He rose, eying her hungrily. He was unbuttoning his shirt before he had left the chair, and two of his long steps brought him into her arms reach. He pressed his bare chest against her bare back, their skin sizzling as they met. His sharp intake of breath let her know that it hurt, but he placed his hands on her nonetheless, and they were together as one flesh.

The Mathematician gave them their privacy. He understood the more bestial desires, though he no longer shared them. He focused on the portal. The figure on the snow. He stared at it for an hour. He thought it may be human.

His dedication and willpower to overcome the excruciating pain it must've been to touch her thrilled Fahrenheit even more than she expected. They were laying next to each other his burnt skin slowly regenerating. Fahrenheit did her best to reduce the heat she was giving off, the fire that was barely visible permanently engulfing her couldn't be turned off, no matter how much she tried. At least she had learned to attune objects roughly her size to her Quantum Signature which saved those from being burnt to ashes.

She looked at him, watching his perfectly sculpted chest slowly rise and fall as he fell into a slight slumber. Intimacy would be a difficult thing but as long as she found lovers as dedicated as The Count she wouldn't end up being alone. Placing one hand just under her navel she closed her eyes and imagined conceiving Raoul's child. He was a fine specimen of the One Race and his child would surely be a strong and healthy offspring.

"You're special, Raoul. I wondered if you would follow me or not but you didn't fail me. I guess you realized as much as I did that we are the future and it is our destiny to claim our rights as a nation - Independent and free. Humanity's history is written, now is our time and with your help we'll soon rise in numbers.", Fahrenheit suddenly stopped, forcing herself to not drift into some kind of preaching. She didn't want to spoil the moment with 'politics' so she calmed herself down and sighed.

"It's not going to be easy..., she added with a much more somber tone in her voice.

Several hours later they arrived in California precisely at the time the Mathematician had calculated. Raoul had recovered from their lovemaking session and even if he was still in pain he didn't show it.

"Did you announce us, Santiago? And can you tell me a bit about him? What's he like?"

Pedro Santiago was a patient and thorough man. He was meticulous in planning, and excruciatingly precise in execution. While in the air, he had recorded the portal opening and closing eight more times.

He had called his people in Spain, at his manor home, and they were en route after some rather lengthy logistics discussions. By the time the plane circled San Francisco, his crew was in place. A mercenary was standing by to enter the portal, with an entire film crew and support staff standing by.

There had been bumps in the road. Initially, Jin would not let Pedro's staff have access to the portico. Timely intervention by the Count quickly put that to rights. Now, as they waited to land, the time for the ninth opening quickly drew near.

Using his remote control, Pedro had sent cameras into the portal each time. Instead of filming the ground, however, the camera was positioned to film the sky. On the last pass, the Mathematician said that he had enough of the sky on film to calculate when and where the portal opened on the other side.

"If my calculations are correct, and they are, the positions of the stars give a temporal distance of 2.7k T-years from this moment. It does not, however indicate direction."

"So," asked Raoul,"it could lead to the past.. or the future?"

"That is correct," the Mathematician replied.

"What about where,"the Count asked, "Can you tell where the portal opens?"

Pedro nodded. He indicated a map of the world on one of his screens.

"The portal opens on high elevation. Perhaps 2,900 meters. And based on the position of the stars, I would say that it opens here, on the southern tip of the Balkan Peninsula."

On screen, the portal opened. The mercenary started forward, but a figure emerging from the portal checked his movement. In the plane, Santiago has leaped towards the monitor, grasping it with both hands, his ear on the speakers set into the front. On screen, the figure wrapped in fur throws back a hood, and glares out at the circle of people. It is a man.

"..." The man spoke, but it meant nothing to Fahrenheit. Santiago, however, almost fell over.

"Hellenic Greek. That answers that. So 700BC, rather than the future." He pondered, then addressed the pair.

"There is of course only one place on the southern Balkan peninsula that has an elevation of 2,900 meters."

His blank face and swirling numbers showed a bit of his agitation as he said, "Mount Olympus."

The plane touched down. The group decided to worry about the portal later. Jin and the staff would care for the unfortunate soul. Entry into the portal was postponed, to the mercenary's relief. Monitor and report was the current policy.

They prepared to disembark the plane when Fahrenheit asked her question.

Originally Posted By: Fahrenheit

"Did you announce us, Santiago? And can you tell me a bit about him? What's he like?"

"I have not called ahead, no. We shall see him in his home. He is sixty years old, and he is like any other of the humans, I suppose, except that he loved your father. I know that Michael loved him as well, so he has some importance."

He seemed to be watching her for a reaction of some kind.

The Mathematician's revelations about the portal event were still circling in Fahrenheit's head and for a moment she wished she had more time and not this feeling of being constantly chased.

"He is a human?, she asked somewhat surprised ignoring the other bits of information that hinted at a more intimate relationship between him and her father.

"I was... well I suppose if my father valued him so much that he must be of importance. Do you know him? What is your impression of this human?", she couldn't hide her curiosity and somewhat disappointment. Somehow his name Scripture implied he was Novus...

Santiago spoke as he walked to the front of the plane,

"Why, yes, he is a human. I cannot speak for his relationship with your...father, but I suppose that he shall do that."

The hostess and the Captain had unbolted the door, and the steps were being lowered. The Mathematician continued.

"I know him as well as any save Mal, I suppose. He is soft-spoken, a thoughtful man. Passive, I would call him, but anyone orbiting Divis would seem so. Though... I do recall hearing of an incident in the early eighties that showed a bit of a ruthless side to Jeremiah. Oh, yes, didn't I say? Jeremiah Scripture. Captain, what is taking so long?"

His tone was mild, perhaps a touch of asperity, but the Captain paled. The man hurriedly locked a lever into place.

"Con permiso, Don Pedro, it is ready for you now."

Santiago put his hand on the man's shoulder.

"Thank you, Captain, nothing to fret about."

The Captain's relief was evident. Through the open door, the disembarking party could see the twilight of a recent sundown. A black stretch Hummer waited on the tarmac, the driver waiting beside the open rear door.

Orzaiz nodded with satisfaction.

"Well done, O Analytical One. Shall we?"

Fahrenheit's thoughts never quite stopped circling around Scripture being human. How could he provide insights for their cause? How could he relate to topics which concerned the very nature of being Novus? He would've to surprise her because she was being very sceptical now.

"I hope this was worth leaving Ibiza for, if not I'd be very... upset.", she didn't add much except for a few degrees of heat in her immediate vicinity. Offering Raoul her arm she let herself be guided to the car and hoped that she wouldn't be disappointed.

Raoul did not lose his good humor faced with Fahrenheit's fiery temper. In fact, he seemed more amused. He handed her into the car, then entered as well. The Mathematician followed with his case clutched in one hand, and his expression was, as always, hard to read.

The limousine drove away from the plane, and in the back, Count Orzaiz poured himself a vodka martini.

"Skyy is adequate, though it doesn't pack quite the punch it once did, I'm afraid," he noted.

The signs said they were on US101 N. The limo driver asked if they needed anything, and was assured they did not. He raised the black glass between them.

Santiago took a laptop computer from his case. He plugged it into an outlet in the armrest, and flipped it open. He removed an odd-looking object from his case, and inserted it into a slot in the side of his laptop computer. He busied himself with buttons. Orzaiz watched him, amused.

"What's that, then?" he asked.

Without looking up, Santiago replied, "Mobile broadband receiver. I have four dedicated satellites to ensure that I am never out of touch. They will be widely available in five years or so." He continued to punch buttons, then set the computer on the small table in the center. He leaned back and steepled his fingertips.

"Now, we should not miss a thing," he said with satisfaction, "As to whether this trip is a waste of your time... I'm sure that you will decide that for yourself. It is no waste of my time, for though Jeremiah and I had our differences, I owe him the courtesy of facing him with the news of Michael's... um... apotheosis, I suppose is the correct word."

He turned his blank face towards Fahrenheit. As always, equations and algorithms swam spinningly about him. One broke off and moved forward. D(d)= (v+e)h42-i. Whatever that meant, it rejoined its fellows and spun away.

"You decide what is important for yourself. If a man who knew your 'father' for more than thirty years, and was his confidant and intimate companion for twenty-five of those years cannot hold your interest, then perhaps you will decide to go somewhere else. I have agreed to follow, and I will. But, I do think that he deserves to hear it from me, if he does not know already."

The limousine turned off of the highway near downtown. A sign said Broadway. The car went up a hill, and Santiago put out a hand to steady himself.

"The city has fifty-four hills inside city limits, of which this one, Pacific Heights, is among the tallest, at three hundred seventy feet above sea level," the Mathematician observed.

"And here I thought I had sworn off getting high," quipped the Count.

Finally, the car pulled up in front of a large Victorian house on Pacific Avenue. It was blue, with black shutters, and was beautiful. In front of the house was a medium length walkway lined with rose bushes and flowers. A man with short white hair stood among the bushes, gloved and with a small set of shears in hand. He turned, and calmly watched as the car arrived.

Raoul again offered Fahrenheit his hand as she got out of the vehicle. Across the street, two teenage girls exclaimed at Santiago and Fahrenheit's Novus anima.

The man smiled slightly upon seeing Pedro Santiago. He calmly took a white handkerchief from his breast pocket and wiped his brow. He replaced the cloth, spoke serenely.

"Hello, Pedro. Good of you to be here. Michael told me, before he left, that you would be coming with a woman, and so you have. You are 'Fahrenheit', are you not? Michael's daughter?"

He held out a hand in greeting. Not to shake, but palm up and forward. His expression was one of almost religious serenity and peace.

"I am Scripture."

Fahrenheit suddenly felt very humbled by Santiago's words. And when she saw Scripture she felt like she wasn't doing him justice with her thoughts. The Novus with the fiery temper almost wanted to apologize to the eldery man who managed to sooth her with just his smile and his voice.

Rising her hand in response she nodded at Scripture and smiled friendly, "I am Fahrenheit."' there were a thousand words flodding her mind barely able to form questions but she was unable to give them any voice. Her eyes sparkled and ignited the air briefly giving Scripture a good impression of what was going on inside her. This man knew her father... That's the only thing she was able to think about.

Jeremiah Scripture smiled gently at her. His face was lined and his eyes were an incredible shade of light blue. He bent, slowly, and picked up a wicker basket. He placed his shears on top of several collected roses, and stripped off his gardening gloves. He dusted his hand on the thigh of his khaki pants, and gently grasped Fahrenheit's shoulder.

"Come, friends. Come inside."

He led them up the walkway, leaning a bit on her shoulder as he walked. Orzaiz and Santiago followed. As they climbed the steps to the porch, Pedro asked a question.

"So, you know, then?"

Scripture turned slightly.

"Oh, yes. Michael told me everything."

He opened the door, and entered the foyer. He dropped the gardening basket unceremoniously in a nook by the stairs and continued on down the hallway to the kitchen.

"He always did, you know. Ever since we met."

In the kitchen, Scripture put a copper teapot under the tap and turned on the water. He saw Fahrenheit's interest, and smiled.

"Ah, yes. 1960, in New Orleans. An occult bookstore called The Naked Eye. His Primoris days were behind him, his Divis days ahead. He was simply Michael Donighal."

He chuckled slightly as he turned off the water and turned a knob on the stove. He took a book of matches and struck a light. He lit the stove, then waved the match out and adjusted the flame. He tossed the match into a cup above the stove and put the teakettle on to boil.

"Not that there was ever anything simple about Michael. Do not ever make that mistake," he examined their faces, then nodded, "No, I don't think that you will."

He went to a cabinet and began bringing down tea cups and saucers. Orzaiz quickly went to help, but was waved away.

"I think that I can make my own tea, young man," he scolded.

Raoul looked mystified, but seemed willing to let it go. Scripture scowled at him until he sat, then smiled at Fahrenheit once again. He shuffled towards the living room.

"Wait. I have something for you, Fahrenheit." He left.

Santiago sat quietly at the breakfast table, his number cloud moving sluggishly through their orbit. The Count, however, drummed his fingers on the kitchen counter. He leaned near to Fahrenheit.

"At some point, someone should probably explain to me who this 'Michael' is, and why he is so important. Is he your father? I thought his name was 'Mal'?"

Scripture reentered the kitchen, and Count Orzaiz leaned away. Scripture carried a cloth-wrapped object, heavy, which he placed on the counter in front of Fahrenheit.

"Almost forty years, I've been working on it. It's yours now."

He grasped the edge of the cloth and pulled it back, revealing a leather bound tome whose gilt lettering leaped off of the cover."

Malnomicron

Behind him, the teakettle screamed, and Scripture turned to take it off of the stove.

She hesitantly took the

Malnomicron in her hands instantly attuning it to her signature sparing it a fiery death. Her eyes wandered from the book to Scripture back and forth until she settled on his eyes.

"Thank you... I... don't know what to say. I know much less about my father than you do it seems...", she had to laugh briefly at the irony of this. Everyone knew him better than her and yet he put his legacy in her hands.

"I've come here to talk about our People's future.", she suddenly shifted from being humbled to taking initiative. She didn't like being passive - she had to be in charge of her fate although she sensed that fate was more in charge of her.

"And if you don't mind... maybe you could tell me about my father. We didn't have much time before he left and entrusted me with...", she didn't really know how to put a label on this. All she knew was calling directly from her heart - a driving force that couldn't be ignored or pushed back. It was inevitable.

"We need as much help as we can get - will you help us?", her question was just as open as honest yet her mind raced with unending questions which she simply couldn't express right now. Maybe with some time she would better understand her father's reasons.

"Thank you... I... don't know what to say. I know much less about my father than you do it seems..."

Scripture patted her hand, then turned back to his task. He had placed bags of tea in each of the cups, and now he poured boiling hot water over them.

"Not surprising, my dear, considering how long I knew him. And his plans always included you growing up not knowing you were his daughter."

Some change in the Mathematician's algebra cloud, or twitch of lip, must have annoyed him, for he rounded on Santiago suddenly.

"You think that you know so much, Pedro, but you know nothing! You believe that I am humoring her? Furthering some sort of delusion? You are so skilled at analyzing information, are you? But what if the information you receive is controlled? What if you only know what I want you to know? What then?"

The old man looked daggers at Santiago. Orzaiz raised his eyebrows in amused perplexity. To Fahrenheit, the Mathematician's eyeless face was inscrutable, but when he spoke, a note of uncertainty crept into his voice.

"I hardly think-"

"Ha!" Scripture barked, "True enough! You hardly do, you know. But we will address your failings soon enough. I am speaking to Michael's daughter, so keep a civil demeanor, or you may wait on the porch."

He turned back to Fahrenheit.

"Why did you come here, dear? It was a sudden decision, yes? A... compulsion, almost? Why do you think you came?"

"I've come here to talk about our People's future."

Scripture bowed his head for a moment. When he raised it, Fahrenheit could see tears in his vividly blue eyes.

"The future of the One Race. Oh my, yes. I have heard that before." He broke off suddenly and leaned forward to grasp a bottle of honey from the counter. He squeezed a generous amount into his cup. He took a sip, gingerly. He smiled, and nodded absently. He glanced back at Fahrenheit, put down his cup, and gestured towards the book that she held.

"That is why I created the book. It can guide you, if you let it. Contained within its pages is every thought, every idea, that I ever heard your father express aloud."

He paused a moment to let this sink in, then continued.

"You may ask it anything you wish, and open it. You will find an appropriate passage to your situation or question. That is how I made it."

As unreliable as Santiago's expressions were, there was no mistaking the frank disbelief on it now. Scripture held up a finger.

"I will get to you, Pedro. Now close your mouth, you'll catch flies." He smiled again at Fahrenheit.

"Go ahead dear, ask it. I know you need to."

"And if you don't mind... maybe you could tell me about my father. We didn't have much time before he left and entrusted me with..."

"With his legacy."

Scripture nodded gently over his tea. He rose, took in his three guests with his gaze. He looked pointedly at the Mathematician.

"Pedro, you were Chosen too, you know. Chosen to guide her in this world. I worry that you are so wrong so often. I worry that you are not a worthy adviser."

Santiago's chin was raised arrogantly, as if in silent protest. Scripture smirked at him.

"Oh, you are so sure of yourself, are you? Well, I will tell you about Michael. A little something, if you will. When he was a young man... a very young man... he traveled the globe with a friend. They stayed in one country for months, if it interested them, and would move on. He traveled for most of two years. In the summer of 1918, he and his friend were in Berlin, and finding it most amusing."

He paused, and poured himself a bit more water. He pressed the teabag against the side of his cup with his spoon, stirred, and continued.

"There was a girl, in Berlin. Brigitte. She joined Michael and his friend in their travails in the countryside, and adventures in the city. She was, you see, in love with Michael. Wildly, madly in love with him."

Scripture fumbled at his breast pocket, suddenly, and withdrew a package of cigarettes. He took one from the pack and placed it between his lips. He stood, and walked to the stove, where he struck a match and lit the tip of his cigarette.

"I asked him, once, 'why?'..." Scripture's voice was a bit husky, but he returned to his seat and took a lazy drag of his cigarette.

"He said that she wanted it, and it cost him nothing. He made her happy, because he could."

Santiago now looked a different sort of unbelieving. He covered his mouth with a hand, rendering his face completely featureless.

"It was 1937 before he sought her out again. Circumstances had him back in Berlin, and he said that he thought it a lark. She was married, of course. To a quiet mouse of a man who wouldn't say boo to a goose."

Scripture took another drag, and blew smoke at the ceiling.

"Michael watched as they sent their son off to University. Their fine, strong, eighteen year old son, with his red hair. This interested Michael quite a lot, he told me."

Orzaiz looked at Fahrenheit quizzically, but when he got no response, he turned back to the old man.

"Michael watched over the boy during the war, and afterward he was one of the few of his age to survive in Germany. He married a beautiful young girl and started a family. They had daughters, three of them, and while Michael checked on them from time to time, he said that he was waiting for the next generation even then."

Scripture looked at Pedro Santiago. The blood had drained from the Mathematician's face, and he looked back and forth from Scripture to Fahrenheit with a horrific awe. Scripture nodded in satisfaction.

"She was born in 1980, to the middle of the boys three daughters. She was unmarried, and unlikely to become so, and she was mostly grateful when I took the babe from her. She was here, in this house, for three weeks."

Scripture looked at Fahrenheit with something approaching longing. Tears made thin tracks across his lined cheeks.

"Eventually, he chose a family for you. One that would never, ever accept or understand. It was his wish that you be able to see the world from the outside. And you do. But for those three weeks, Michael laid his mark on you. He made you his own. He entrusted you with his legacy because he knew that you could do what he could not."

Seemingly spent, Scripture stood and faced Santiago.

"So, that is one thing that you thought you knew. Yet, you were wrong. Here is another."

As he spoke, his aged frame straightened. A bit of extra weight fell away from him, and the lines around his face and on his hands faded away. His eyes seemed to get lighter and lighter a shade of blue until they faded away altogether and pale white orbs stared out at the Mathematician. A glow suffused Scripture from head to toe, radiating outward but gathered swiftly at the crown of his head, where suddenly a halo as large as a washtub appeared, crowning his head with glory.

He spoke, and it was with a resonance and timbre that Fahrenheit would never forget, as it seemed to reach inside to her very soul.

"That is where you are weak, Pedro. Your conclusions are only as good as your information. When the information is manipulated and controlled, your conclusions are faulty. Now do you understand?"

He turned to Fahrenheit, and she nearly quailed before his majesty. He smiled the same gentle smile, however, and she felt at peace.

"What more, Fahrenheit? What more, my darling girl, my love? What do you need from me?"

"We need as much help as we can get - will you help us?"

He smiled again, this time tinged with regret. Behind him, a golden disc appeared. It rippled and swelled until it nearly filled the room.

"Alas, child. It is not to be. I have given you what advice I may. Trust the book. It is all in the book. But always remember that He trusted You. In the end, it will be Your choices. As for me..."

A pair of arms reached through the portal, then another pair. All four arms embraced Scripture from behind, around his shoulders and his waist.

"Some of us, no matter how powerful we become, are meant to be consorts. To orbit the Sun, never to shine in our own right. And we are content and more than content that it be so."

He smiled at her one last time.

"It is in Your hands now, child."

The portal closed, and they were alone. The ticking of the kitchen clock was the only sound.

It is in Your hands now, child...

Fahrenheit stared at the empty space where Scripture just stood a single tear running down her cheek where it evaporated into nothingness. She could feel him – just for a short moment - but there he was and she so much wished he would’ve revealed himself one last time. Just a smile or look from his beautiful eyes. That’s all she wanted. All she needed...

Her eyes wandered to her new allies resting briefly on Orzaiz before she settled on The Mathematician – just staring, not saying a single word. Her face was a mask of determination – beautiful yet dreadful. A fire was in her eyes that would never cease to burn married with a tinge of sadness.

“Leave... me... now. We’ll meet at the airport.“, she barely whispered but yet it had a sharp tone. Orzaiz, who was standing next to her could feel how the heat this time was increasing dramatically and her nightgown dressed body was already catching fire as she transformed into living flame.

The men had barely any choice except to retreat until they were far away to tolerate the heat which was still increasing even now that they were outside the building. Soon everything around her started to catch fire as it couldn’t withstand the intensive heat that her body was generating. Like a cleansing flame it swallowed everything it touched until it left nothing but cinders and ashes in her wake. Fahrenheit closed her eyes releasing her pain and fury which briefly had taken her heart. She knew it had to be like this – she knew that what she wanted – to be with her father – was impossible because his presence would change everything. In a moment of serenity, as the soothing flames around her caressed her body like a lover she opened her eyes again and doused the fire within a heartbeat. It was right then when she realized, that she would succeed where he failed.

Clutching the Malnomicron tightly against her body the Angel of Fire rose up and took to the skies heading towards the airport...

Observers in the Pacific Heights area of San Francisco watched a trail of fire shoot into the sky. Those closer saw that the trail led from a blackened hole in the ground where a restored Victorian home once stood. Perhaps one of them said the name. Perhaps it was the teenage girls who had seen their arrival. Regardless of who said it, California had in the last two weeks become the center of activity for a Novus who ranged the world over, and its citizens were still fascinated by the novelty of a hero that would come when you called. The name was said, and that was how it started.

Fahrenheit blazed her way across the sky towards San Francisco International Airport. Her eyes were not filled with tears, but wisps of steam trailed from them at intervals, betraying her emotions. At the best of times, she was a volatile, unpredictable storm, and this was not the best of times.

She flew, and in front of her there was a sudden flash of blue and gold. She pulled up short, rather than run headlong into a broad chest. She looked upon a hugely proportioned man, a literal Titan astride the earth. He seemed posed, as always, with his legs apart and arms crossed in a hyper-heroic parody of comic book supers. His hair whipped attractively in the wind, and the sun gleamed reflectively off of his perfect teeth. His... costume seemed a cross between a Roman Centurion and Superman. It should have been ludicrous, but it lent a certain perfect regality to his already impressive frame. There was a kindly gleam in his eye as he offered a greeting.

"Greetings, fellow Nova! Are you in distress? I heard the call, and so I am come to lend the helping hand of... The TITAN OMEGAAAAA!"

He glanced over her shoulder, and ultra-sensitive perceptions allowed him to take in a scene nearly two miles distant.

"Say, is that a fire? Is it merely a coincidence that you are an icon of Flame, or can I count you responsible for the conflagration?"

His expression took on a 'more in sorrow than in anger' sort of reproof, as he waited for her response.

Fahrenheit instinctivly clutched the Malnomicron tighter against her body and glared at the Titan Omega before she regained her composure.

Is he for real?, she wondered before she backed off a little more but staying within comfortable talking distance.

Her eyes wandered up and down his impressive Frame and she couldn’t resist smiling at him although she very much felt like she wanted to burn right through him.

“I’m... I’m not in need of any help. Actually I’d prefer if you left me alone...“, she looked back the way she came and it was very likely that she was the cause for the fire he had mentioned – although she had doused the flames completely there was still enough smoke to see for someone with Titan Omega’s enhanced senses.

“Say... why do you do this?“, she asked him, feeling much more comfortable asking quesions instead of providing answers at the moment.

Titan Omega looked again over her shoulder, and shrugged.

"On second glance, I see that the fire is out, though it seems that it was quite a blaze."

His biceps rippled with power as he reached up and brushed stray strands of blond hair out of his face with his hand. His pectoral muscles reacted nicely as well. It would have been attractive, if it wasn't so perfect. He was the kind of man who made one realize the value of flaws. He spoke seriously, and in a low tone, in answer to her question.

"Why? That should be obvious, I think. I was born to do this. Look at me. I am a hero, through and through. If I didn't help people in need, what else would I possibly do?"

He cocked his head suddenly, his eyes narrowing. Then he turned to her, and said in a rush:

"Ma'am, the fire is out, and if I truly cannot help you, then I must go. There are others who cry out for help, and help them I must. So, if we are done here..."

Though flying in midair, he seemed almost to shift from one foot to another, incongruously looking for a moment like a child who has to use the bathroom. His eyes, though regal and penetrating, seemed to plead with her to let him go.

"Do something for your own People instead of helping those who will exploit your virtues. You'll find out soon enough that they are not looking for heroes - their looking for slaves. I'll be waiting for you...", she answered directly to his naive response.

Originally Posted By: Titan
"Ma'am, the fire is out, and if I truly cannot help you, then I must go. There are others who cry out for help, and help them I must. So, if we are done here..."

Realizing that he was absolutely serious about the hero-business Fahrenheit had to surpress a chuckle and nodded at him. "Yeah - do whatever you feel you must do. Safe those stupid monkeys.", she wasn't really in a good mood and under different circumstances she would've picked more diplomatic words but things were moving almost too fast for her and she needed a break - a moment of clarity and serenity to calm down and plot the course for their future. Right now she was chasing ghosts and they were giving her some clues but almost as much questions as answers.

At least she had something to hold on to now - something she could study when there were too many unanswered questions.

"Dismissed...", she added with a smirk in her face as her eyes skimmed over Titan Omega's too perfect body, yet she couldn't deny that his mighty shape appealed to her. Maybe one day...?

• 2 weeks later...

With a reproving glance, eyebrow raised in rebuke, the Titan Omega shook his head at her words. Nevertheless, he saluted her casually before departing.

"Farewell! And know that you can ever count on....

THE TITAN OMEGA!!!!"

A flash, and he was gone. Fahrenheit hovered over San Francisco's Chinatown section, the Golden Gate Bridge off to her right, clutching the Malnomicron to her chest.

Archived