Aberrant: In the Beginning - Fahrenheit

Fahrenheit

Fahrenheit nodded and smiled acknowledging the report Santiago gave her. Orzaiz would be a challenge but not impossible to win as an ally. At least she had more than nothing now which made her feel far more comfortable than she did before.

”The truth will always prevail and burn itself to the surface no matter how much you try to keep it hidden. I thank you for your report. Do you prefer staying in the background or join the conversation? That is the only question I got at this point. I don’t mind if you don’t feel comfortable around Orzaiz and prefer to watch my back from afar.”

I hope this goes better than with Wei Fang. We need more allies the sooner the better.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I have no fear or discomfort regarding the Count," Santiago assured Fahrenheit with just the barest trace of petulance. "For the purpose of establishing you firmly as the leader of this movement, you should do the majority of the interacting. However, if I am with you, then my command of the pertinent facts could be a significant asset to you."

"Ultimately the decision is yours. We land in twenty minutes. There will be a car waiting for us. The Count is expecting us."

"Do you wish me to accompany you?"

“I’ll do my part, you do yours. We’ll cope.”, Fahrenheit stated briefly.

Once the plane landed she followed the Mathematician to the car discarding any plan she had in mind. This time she would have to rely on finding the right words at the right time. This was the Count’s territory and she was the prey but maybe she could point him at the right direction. With the Mathematician’s abilities to assess the situation she had at least the chance to provide the Count with hard facts while she would need to focus on delivering an emotional message. They needed each other.

The car waiting for them was a black limousine with mirrored windows. Fahrenheit never saw the driver, even while she was in it. he was cut off from the spacious passenger area with a partition sporting only a heavily tinted window.

The Mathematician had many gifts, but comforting smalltalk wasn't one of them. He sat in the seats facing Fahrenheit, saying nothing, staring eyelessly at her while staying perfectly still. All except for those numbers. Were they random? Variables in some equation? What were they?

As the car drove, she found herself getting more tense. This would be the first major meeting with an unbiased nova since she'd left Aeon...and that hadn't exactly gone well. She needed to show herself, and the Mathematician that she was able to recruit followers...and the Count would be quite a catch. His personal influence and holdings would help a great deal in founding an ideological movement.

Finally the limo stopped at the gates of a rather sprawling estate. Off through the gorgeous trees and grassy hills though, Fahrenheit could see the sunbleached white of a palazzo nestled out where it would have a spectacular view of the Mediterranean.

The gates opened as she and her ocularly-challenged friend emerged. The man who greeted them was large and Asian and looked like he could probably twist Lou Ferrigno into a toothpick if he really wanted to. If the sight of the red-skinned devil woman and her bizarre companion fazed him he showed it not at all. Was he novus too? The Mathematician hadn't mentioned Orzaiz employing other novus...but it might be a very recent development.

The man gestured with his head in a clear signal that they were to follow him. When Fahrenheit glanced at Santiago, she noted an odd thing. The numbers orbiting his head temporarily paused for moment and stood still in the air...then resumed their wild circling and changing. He 'looked' at her and nodded, then followed the Count's man. A moment later Fahrenheit followed suit.

The palazzo was as palatial as she'd expected. It consisted of a series of turret-like cylindrical structures jutting out of a sprawling, low-slung building that connected them all. Their guide didn't take them in, but instead to where a stairway spiraled up the outside of one of the turrets, leading to a redstone deck on top. From there one could look out over the coast of Ibiza, out to where surf met sky and were almost the same color. The tiny white triangles of sailboats, and the larger lozenges of yachts and cruise ships all shared those warm sapphire waves. A few clouds spun white cotton across a sky so pure that one could almost feel the infinity of space just staring up into it.

There, in a reclining lounger was Count Raoul Orzaiz; a devastatingly handsome man with slightly thinning hair and a rich tan complexion. He had a thin mustachio and a slightly scraggly goatee beard. A creme button-up shirt was only half buttoned up, showing a gold necklace with an ankh on it hanging down to his chest. Tan slacks and sandals completed the basic outfit, which was obviously tailored, it all fit so well. For all its simplicity, it screamed confidence and style...a man who was well off enough that he didn't feel the need to show that wealth off. A man of sensible and refined tastes, with clothes that suited him without being garish.

He held a chilled margarita in his right hand, though set it down as Fahrenheit and Santiago approached. Then, with a quick and fluid movement, he was up and off the lounger, extending a hand and a rather dashing smile towards Fahrenheit first, then the Mathematician. The smile turned into an admiring grin as he took in their obvious physical changes, even though he himself seemed perfectly human...with the emphasis on 'perfect.'

"So it's true," Orzaiz said with a faint coastal Spanish accent. "Absolutely incredible, both of you. I am Raoul Orzaiz. Welcome to my home."

The Count was larger than life Fahrenheit had to admit and she had to remind herself that they had a mission and were not out here to ‘have a good time’. She shook his hand and smiled politely crossing her arms over her chest obviously lacking much etiquette beyond that. Fahrenheit was not used to human interaction – not under these conditions at least. She waited a moment before she introduced herself and her companion.

”I suppose you already had contact with the Mathematician or one of his assistants – My name is Fahrenheit and I very much like to talk with you about the future of our people.”

Fahrenheit looked at the handsome Count’s eyes and considered her next move. The Count in return kept his perfect façade and smiled at her expecting something more than just an introduction.

”As you are clearly aware of our situation more and more Novus erupt these days and the Aeon Society tries to make first contact with those newborn fledglings of our race. I choose to leave their facility because I felt there was something wrong about their methods of operation. They study us, try to understand what we do under the pretence to help us understand who we are. I don’t think that is possible – I don’t think any human can ever understand us. I’m not here to recruit you just like Aeon for a different cause. I only want to know more about the man that openly refused to join Aeon. Maybe we share more than this defiance?”

Fahrenheit smiled at the Count and had put her hands on her hips in the meantime. She didn’t want to sit down for that made her feel confined and put in the defence. If things got out of hand she’d be prepared to fight and it showed in her body language – if she liked it or not.

The Count's eyes flicked quickly over Fahrenheit, reading her body language as well as, perhaps, admiring her looks. His smile widened, friendly and seemingly open while revealing very little of what was in his head.

"So you turned them down too, hm? They're an interesting bunch, aren't they?"

He picked up his drink, swirled what was left of it around in the glass, then finished it in a last gulp and turned to saunter to the railing of this roof-patio that overlooked the sea. He stood there for a moment, gazing out, his back to Fahrenheit and Santiago, as if intentionally offering her the perfect angle for an attack...should she wish to.

"And now you want to know if I did that because I am, like you, defiant...but you're not going to recruit me." He chuckles. "I will tell you why I decided not to join with Aeon."

"I left, because they were afraid. Does that make sense to you?"

He’s bristling with confidence, how intriguing.

Fahrenheit relaxed her stance to a more casual position resting on hand on her hip while she examined the luxurious surrounding.

”It makes perfectly sense to me, Count. They fear what they don’t understand. It seems that I’m different even for a Novus and I felt they were more interested in confining and limiting me than to actually helping me and thus helping our People. If you are interested in furthering the cause of our People I invite you to share your thoughts with us about the future of the One Race. We need our own space untainted by external influence except for what we choose to built a society that will shadow anything that was manmade in history.”

Fahrenheit’s eyes settled again on the Count’s back trying to discern his reaction to her words.

”Does that make sense to you?”, she mirrored his question with a smirk.

Count Orzaiz didn't seem to react for a moment. Then he turned to face Fahrenheit, leaning his back against the railing as he studied her with one hand brought up to his face, with a finger making a sort of straight 'mustache line' under his nose. Then he smiled.

"A separatist then, eh? I wonder how that would work. But no, if I had just one question for you that wouldn't be it. Not now."

He strolled over to a little round table with an umbrella poking up from it. On it were also a pitcher of clear liquid and ice, and three glasses.

"As much as Aeon's path is not mine, I respect that they have an agenda. They are doing something. They are seeking to understand...and most likely control...what they fear. Laudable, even if I must oppose it since I -am- what they fear."

From a pitcher on the table he poured a glass, then another.

"So my question to you is this. You've now made clear your basic philosophy, your grand scheme. But it is not our ideas that define us, it is our actions. I want to know what you have done, and what you plan to do, to achieve your goals."

• 3 weeks later...

Fahrenheit closed her eyes and sorted her thoughts before she answered. What followed would be crucial for the future of her people.

”I am following a vision – a path that has been set for me from my progenitor. He is acquainted with the Mathematician and was here long before the Galatea-explosion.”, Fahrenheit briefly nodded to her eyeless companion.

”As far as my actions go – I’m trying to survive in the first place and then move on to build something that lasts the coming storm. Like I said earlier – I’m not trying to recruit you since I can’t force you to believe in what I believe but I can at least offer you an alternative to what Aeon tries to do – and maybe someone to talk to about the future with a different perspective on how the world spins. I don’t claim to know the whole truth about the future but I got a fairly good impression of how it will be like and I don’t like the outcome in concerns to our people. We need to separate from human society in order to survive on our own. After that we can establish diplomatic channels if necessary. People will hate me, I take that for granted but I care less about them and more about us.”

The air around her was faintly flaring with heat as her speech incited her causing the cubicles of ice to melt fast. She sure didn’t lack conviction.

"There," Raoul says quickly, slapping one fist into his other palm and pointing at Fahrenheit. "Right there. You said 'we need to separate from human society.' Why is that? Look at us."

He gestured to himself, to her, to the eyeless gaze of the Mathematician.

"Why should we hide? Why should we leave? Human history...and that history is our history too now...has always been one of leaps and bounds. Long periods of stasis, punctuated by sudden tumultuous changes that redefine everything. We are the next leap. Make no mistake, we will control the world. They will -ask- us to, in time. We can offer them things they can hardly imagine yet. There is no faculty that we cannot perfect. From us, they will learn what is possible, and have a path to follow."

He shrugs and swirls a hand. "But it's refreshing to be able to discuss it at all! One thing you have right is that Aeon would never have entertained the thought. Not openly at least. Come, why don't you both sit down, and we can debate at our leisure. Unless...you have other plans today?"

He gave Fahrenheit and Mathematician a querying look.

• 2 weeks later...

Fahrenheit smiled and took the offered seat. This was a small victory from her perspective and discussing the future would help her get more perspective on her options and give her the chance to convince the Count of her own convictions.

”We need to separate because humanity is tainted. They will hunt what they don’t understand. They seek conformity – regulation – control. No government would ever relinquish it’s supremacy to the One Race. Maybe we will control the world – but what price are you willing to pay? I strongly believe that we need to make a clean cut in order to find our own destiny. We define whereas humans only react or cope. Mind you – I said separate, not fight although I’m willing to defend our cause with force if necessary.”

She smiled at the Count both to subtly underline her words and because he simply made her. His presence was infectious, intoxicating. She imagined him as the envoy for the One Race, his charisma was without equal and she hoped he would understand her cause and fully support it once he recognized the truth. Fahrenheit had to shake off further thoughts circling around her being intimate with the Count and refocused on what he said.

”Surely humanity will follow our example – will try to make it their own and fail in the attempt. Admiration will turn into hatred and that will fuel their ambition to eradicate us. I’m not going to wait that long.”

• 1 year later...

Please see the Conclusion to Chapter Two for the missing events between the previous post and this one

Fahrenheit awoke in a very large bed, swathed in silk sheets. The morning sun streamed in through the east window. On the divan was a selection of English language newspapers, the Wall Street Journal on top. Laid out on the rooms dining table was a smorgasbord of breakfast foods. Croissant basket, omelet, ham, bacon, yogurt, cereal, three different fruit juices. Orzaiz knew how to treat a houseguest, she thought.

She looked down at her hands. Pale, white hands, with fine blue veins running through the backs of them. She looked in the full length mirror. She was Sascha.

Something has happened. When she touched that other self, that older self. She was SASCHA!

Experimentally, she held out her hand. The skin turned red, fierce heat radiating outward. She felt the power, just under the surface of her skin. Her power, still available, but now she was in control of the Sascha form as well it seemed. What did this mean? What did it change?

Dimly, as though from a great distance, she heard Sascha sobbing, the sound muffled as though on the other side of a large wooden door.

Fahrenheit took a deep breath, and the faint sobs faded slowly away, until she could almost swear that she did not hear them at all.

A smile crossed her beautiful youthful face. Whatever that strange encounter caused it gave her full control of her alter ego - even though the thought of being 'stuck' in her made her almost sick in the stomach. But this was a chance, a change on the playing field. She admitted she wanted to get rid of Sascha one way or the other but this option opened doors she hadn't thought about.

The dark haired beauty skimmed through the wardrobe and settled on a simple plain white blouse and stonewashed blue-jeans. Her blouse was buttoned down just short of revealing some alluring cleavage, but never breaching the rules of good taste.Her long hair got quickly put in high ponytail, emphazising her enticingly facial features.

Assuming the Count would Be watching her either through his down powers or some kind of subliminal security systems, Fahrenheit decided to explore her hosts generous estate and see what else this Day would hold in store for her. She would have to ask the Mathematician about this odd encounter and if He had any explanation for it. Something was brewing, She felt it, something had changed.

She stepped out onto the patio outside her room, and looked down towards the pool. Further out, in the well manicured lawn, a figure ran and leaped, twisting in the air impossibly before landing again in a run. She smiled and began to walk down.

She brushed her hands on the many tropical flowers lining the whitened walkway winding downhill. Shaded by leafy olive trees, she enjoyed the slight chill of morning on Ibiza island. Breaking through the vegetation and approaching the pool, she recognized Orzaiz as he spun gracefully and charged the water. He leaped ten feet into the air and dove into the deeper end, causing barely a ripple.

They reached the edge of the water at the same time, he grinning his charming best up at her. He levered himself out of the pool in one swift sure motion, and she saw the play of his muscles under his skin. He patted himself down with a towel from a nearby chair, obviously aware of his physical perfection.

"Have you ever partied in Ibiza?" He asked suddenly, "I was thinking that tonight we should go out, relieve some tension. Have you ever been to Amnesia?"

Orzaiz' offer was extremely tempting and for a moment she liked the idea of entertaining herself and forget the last days tension - just like he said.

Her eyes rested on his perfectly shaped body and she found herself fantasizing spending a few hours with him alone. A brief smile swept across her face but then She forced herself to shake it off.

"I'd love to...", she started suddenly surprised by the sound of her own voice. It was much softer and human than her 'normal' voice.

"But first I'd like to know what you think happened yesterday during our little 'interview' - You saw it too, didn't you? You and the Mathematician."

Normally she would have sounded much more intimidating but Sascha's voice lacked that tough undertone Fahrenheit had. It would take some time for her to get used to sounding more like a young woman and less like the firedevil she was.

Raoul paused in the act of pulling on a button up shirt, and grimaced. He nodded, reluctantly, and focused on painstakingly buttoning up. He didn't look at Fahrenheit.

"I saw it."

He unnecessarily smoothed the perfectly ironed shirt. Then, steeling himself visibly, and looked in her face.

"I saw her... you."

He smiled half-heartedly.

"It seems that you will be quite the beauty for many years yet, Fahrenheit."

His smile faded at her serious expression.

"I don't know what it is that you want me to say. I saw the portal, the woman who seemed to be you, except older. Your hands touched, and the portal closed. That was all. I hope that you aren't expecting an explanation from me. I assure you that I strive to have no opinion whatsoever about what happened."

Fahrenheit was too absorbed with recalling the event to acknowledge the Count's compliment about her beauty. Her smile reflected his out of pure habit because it was a social trait programmed deep in their genetics - it was part of being human...

"Something happened when I touched her - I could feel it. I'm just trying to make sense of it. It must've been important but I can only guess and currently I prefer having facts instead of treading in the dark.", her eyes remained fixated on his handsome features.

"Maybe the Mathematician can make more sense of this and we can in the meantime enjoy the pleasures of this wonderful island? But I suppose I need something more adequate to dress - tell me about this place, Amnesia?", he could tell that she had moved on from pondering the problem and probably leaving it to the Mathematician to solve.

Her smile turned from a mirror of his to an honest, almost flirtatious smile only that her youthful features made her appear more innocent than seductively. She would need some time to get used to this Sascha-Form... maybe she should change just to even the playing-field...

The Count smiled enigmatically.

"Amnesia speaks for itself, lady. Perhaps we should go, tonight. They say that the party lasts 24 hours there, but it is, I assure you, an exaggeration."

He gestured up the walkway.

"To breakfast, lad-"

He cocked his head in a most unusual way, staring blankly over her shoulder quizzically. He blinked.

"Did you see- no, of course you- Wait, there!"

He spun her quickly around, in time for her to see a very small portal closing. Before Fahrenheit can get her wits about her, the portal reopened, about dinner plate size. It swelled to surfboard size briefly, then collapsed again.

The instance Orzaiz moved to investigate Fahrenheit changed her form burning away the clothes she wore as a mininova sparked inside her turning her into a fiery angel of wrath.

The harbinger of fire arose in a halo of a winged demon to the skies and flew towards the point the Count had pointed out. Whatever these portals were about it seemed they were still happening, either randomly or with calculated precision. Either way they had to find out what this was about. "Contact the Mathematician, we need to analyse this and determine if it's a threat or beneficiary for us."

Something told her that this was a good sign, but she wouldn't bet on it.

Topping her arc with a trail of fire behind her, Fahrenheit looked down onto the portico where the portal had appeared. Below her, Count Orzaiz sprinted towards the same. An incredibly gifted broken field runner, it seemed, was Raoul. She propelled herself to a landing on the portico on a pillar of flame. She touched down only a second or so ahead of the Count. He stopped his headlong run just beside her, his breathing even and under control.

"Here," he said, "It was here."

"I would stand back a bit, if I were you, amigo y senorita" A voice warned.

Looking up, Fahrenheit saw the familiar form of Pedro 'The Mathematician' Santiago sitting comfortably in a chair, shaded by the ubiquitous olive tree. The numbers, present as always, flew furiously about his eyeless face.

Count Orzaiz stepped back, pulling Fahrenheit protectively with him. A long moment passed, and she could feel the Count's pulse through his fingertips on her arm. Santiago sat, fingers steepled before him, silently watching.

"Now."

The portal opened just a meter in front of Fahrenheit and Orzaiz. It was man sized, and where the one last night had seemed like a tunnel with her future self sliding towards her, this portal looked much like a cup of milk seen from above, right down to the concentric ripples emanating from the center. It stayed open steadily for a second, two, three, four. Then closed.

"Four point six seven seconds," Santiago pronounced, "at intervals of two hours eleven minutes and forty seven seconds. It seems to sputter a time or two before opening fully, but the intervals have been regular. This is the fifth time it has happened since I have been sitting here, so I think I can conclusively state that it will continue to happen indefinitely."

He regarded Fahrenheit.

"My lady. Did you sleep well?"

Fahrenheit nodded at Santiago nostrils flaring briefly as she tried to remain calm. The Count could feel her skin heating up reaching uncomfortable degrees but she managed to prevent any outburst that could cause collateral damage. Focusing her mind she took a few steps away from the Count walking in a semi-circle around the 'event'.

"I highly doubt this is a 'natural' phenomenon. Could it be an echo of what transpired earlier? Or maybe another attempt of establishing contact with us? I'm still trying to figure out if this is a good sign or should be handled with the highest caution. Do you have any explanation for this? A theory?"

She wasn't a scientist and not knowing what this was about didn't do much to keep her calm and relaxed. Her eyes wandered off to the Count since it was impossible to keep any kind of eye-contact with the Mathematician. He was almost impossible to read and the Count's handsome features were much more pleasing to the eye. She couldn't surpress a smile as their eyes met, something about him made her feel good... and comfortable.

Santiago was hard to read. His eyelessness rendered his face nearly expressionless. However, his lips twisted in what might be deep thought.

"I also doubt that this is 'natural' except insofar as the Novus phenomenon is a 'natural' one. The question, I think, is whether this is an intentional phenomenon. On that, I am of two minds. As for a theory, I think you hit it on the head. Some sort of 'echo'. Only, instead of fading and eventually dissipating, this one remains strong."

He stood, and walked in a circle around the spot where the portal had been.

"Who knows where it leads, if indeed it leads anywhere. I would counsel caution, Senorita. That said, you may be sure that I shall be studying this further."

He trailed off, seemingly lost in thought.

Raoul let go of her arm. Though he must be as shaken as she, he appeared to have the same sort of aplomb about the event as the Mathematician. He smiled wryly.

"Well, there are two hours and more until it happens again. Let us get a bite to eat in the meantime, shall we? I myself am famished, as you must be, I am sure."

"Is there a way of gaining more data on this 'phenomenon'? I want to know everything about it... in the meantime I will accept the Count's offer. I'm indeed... hungry.", she nodded at the Mathematician not even bothering to ask him if he wanted to join them. Then she focused her attention back to the Count slowly approaching him while she reduced the heat that she emanated.

In her current state she was practically naked only with crimson red skin that was extremely hot to the touch that it caused the floor around her to evaporate excessive water that was either stored in the soil underneath or directly in the concrete.

"I fear I need a new wardrobe, Count...", she smiled at him, this time not as innocent as Sascha did.

The Mathematician shuffled around the spot on the portico where the gate had appeared. He knelt down suddenly and lay his head on the bleached concrete. From ground level, he peered upward. He began muttering to himself.

"Obviously, I'll need a track bolted here. High speed camera on rails. Yes."

He raised a hand to his pocket, pulled out a cell phone.

Orzaiz smiled at Fahrenheit.

"I shall enjoy showing you the couture of Ibiza, my dear Fahrenheit. In the meantime, you may enjoy your fiery glory, or wear a bathrobe, lady's choice."

He glanced at his watch.

"We have two hours and seven minutes to shop for clothes and eat breakfast. Which shall we do first?"

His eyes twinkled mischievously.

Satisfied with the Mathematician's expertise and following up on investigating the phenomenon Fahrenheit nodded to the Count. "I'm not sure if my presence would be much welcomed around here and I don't want to ruin your reputation - I relinquish myself to your capable hands... I don't need to wear anything but I'm sure there's some kind of dresscode at Amnesia's?", the beautiful angel of fire smiled just as mischievously back at the Count enjoying his company and showing it openly.

Slowly I'm starting to enjoy this - a companion like Orzaiz could proof very useful in many ways.

After her father had to abandon her she felt a little lost but didn't allow herself to show it to anyone - but Orzaiz... to him she could build enough trust, she believed. Maybe enough to...

The 1967 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow glided serenely through Ibiza old town. Fahrenheit traced a trail of flame several meters above the car, gazing down at the bars and restaurants lining the streets. Dining al fresco was obviously the rage on this island paradise. The Rolls pulled up in front of a building and stopped. The sign above the rustic wooden door read:

'reVOLVER'

Raoul waited for the driver to open his door, then watched Fahrenheit as she landed. Still aflame, she allowed him to open the door for her. When they entered the boutique, an impeccably dressed gentleman stepped away from the counter towards them with a broad smile on his tanned face. It faltered, then failed entirely as he beheld Fahrenheit.

"Bienvenido.... eh... bienvenido! Señor, mi- mi- eh... mi señora, bienvenida a, uhm....reVOLVER ! Mi nombre es....mi..nombre... Jaime, ¿en qué puedo servirle hoy?"

The last was all in a rush, sweat beginning to pour from the mans brow. It looked like blood with Fahrenheit's volcanic skin glow reflected in the trails.

The Count spoke.

"Inglés, por favor, mi amigo Jaime. Please note the dimensions of my friend. Do you have any models in her size and coloration?"

The man bowed from the waist at about a 45 degree angle. Several drops of perspiration dripped on the floor. He placed a hand over his heart, and said,

"Of- of course, Señor. Nothing could possibly be easier."

Very shortly, they found themselves standing in front of plush, comfortable chairs, holding mimosas. Before them was a small runway, where no less than three models the same height and body shape of Fahrenheit displayed a variety of 'rock-chic' couture.

The luxury surrounding the Count was intoxicating. It seemed the word 'No' didn't exist in his vocabulary. Despite Fahrenheit's nakedness there wasn't the slightest uncomfortable look or stare. If anything at all the Count watched her with admiring eyes.

With prideful strides the alien crimson skinned beauty observed the models as they presented the most expensive couture available on the paradise island. She would've taken any of the gorgeous dresses but had to stop herself as she reminded herself of her unusual physical state.

"These are all extremely beautiful, I can barely make up my mind... But can they withstand my... increased bodytemperature? I would hate to ruin this fine craftsmanship."

She could change back to Sascha, of course but even if she was in complete control of that form, she prefered staying in her currnt incarnation.

"Or we just take them all and if anything happens we've got spares."

She smiled at Raoul giving him a flirtatious wink.

The Count fairly gleamed with confidence. His smile at her was genuine and self assured. There was a subtext going on here. They both felt it, though neither had yet said it aloud. They were not human. They were gods striding among mortals. Her flaunting of her flame seemed to dare him to be more expansive, more god-like. He chuckled, and turned to the hapless Jaime.

"All of it. Have it sent to my villa, all except for that one, and the one behind it. I shall take those with me. Thank you Jaime, for your service."

He removed a lambskin wallet from his inner coat, pulled free several bills, handed them to the man. He turned smoothly to Fahrenheit as though the other man had ceased to exist, as indeed to the Count he had.

"We shall put it to Santiago, first thing, that you need clothing for yourself. Perhaps he will... figure something out. Until then, I shall ensure that I always have a spare set on hand."

He gestured to the door, since taking her arm would be very dangerous for him.

"Shall we find some breakfast?" Orzaiz asked. He glanced at his watch. "Just over an hour, until."

Her eyes followed the Counts every movement, gesture and elegant flourish. He was a superior specimen. Calling him the pinnacle of humanity would do him wromg since he was more than human, he transcended humanity. The disturbingly beautiful crimson skinned woman smiled at the Count and nodded in approvement as she left the shop with him.

"I don't have to wear anything, if you asked me but I suppose the Etablissement you want to have breakfast at won't allow me access like this. Of course I am willing to compromise, if the Mathematician comes up with a acceptable solution."

She managed to reduce the heat to a tolerable minimum as she entered the large Limousine and gave the Count another smile as she waited for a witty comeback of his. Winning him for her cause would be a huge asset for their cause. She hoped he would come to the same conclusion sooner or later, until then she would have to play both games of flirtation and... negotiation. For now she was surely enjoying herself...

"I think the leather would constitute minimum decency, and might even stand the heat for a time, but suit yourself," said Count Orzaiz as he entered the limo, "I assure you that I do not mind you remaining as you are." His smile could be taken as flirtation, or enigmatic, it was hard to say.

"Cafe Montesol, if you will, Franco," he said to the driver.

The Count insisted on al fresco dining, so he and Fahrenheit turned heads as they walked through Montesol to the patio. Orzaiz ordered for them: Cafe con leche for both, toasted bread with olive oil, molletes(muffins)for each of them, with slices of ham and cheese, and a slice of traditional Spanish omelette. Pomegranate and Orange juices rounded out the meal.

The Count sipped gingerly at his cafe. Above the rim of his cup, his eyes twinkled. He nodded towards a pair of men across the street, aiming their high powered cameras at the restaurant.

"It begins, my dear. Are you ready for a larger stage?"

As they arrived at the Cafe Fahrenheit briefly excused herself taking the leathery piece of haute couture with her. It was an interesting cut onepiece that mixed elements of the classical evening dress meets Tank Girl. Her right leg was practically completely exposed while her left side was held together by an inticrate pattern of laces and buckles. To keep the general asymetric design in theme her left arm was completely exposed, too. What would've been perfect was a matching pair of leather boots, but unfortunately she had none so she was forced to go barefooted.

Rejoining the Count they both entered the Cafe as if they owned the place. Fahrenheit didn't care much about the people around them and concentrated mostly on keeping up with Orzaiz' witty and elegant nature. As breakfast got served he noticed the slowly gathering crowd and pointed with his head towards the people with the cameras. Fahrenheit just glanced nonchalantly past Orzaiz' shoulder and nodded at his question with a smirk in her face.

"Ready when you are."

The Count smiled, set his cafe on it's saucer, and attacked a croissant. He washed it down with a liberal dose of Pomegranate juice.

"I told my father, my father only, just after it happened. We sat back, and watched the news. Abductions, immediate fighting over who got the 'loot' between countries, and even inside the halls of their governments. To say nothing of what it will be like, I think and my father agrees, when the money men begin bidding on our ilk."

He smiled, incongruous with his words, though Fahrenheit noticed another van pulling up near the first. She thought he must be smiling for the cameras.

"They would drain us dry," he went on, "and that must not happen. We alone know what we alone know. And that is why, of course I am with you."

He spoke in low tones, casually, as though unaware of the triumph in her heart. His smile twisted a bit, into almost a smirk, and he said, "Though I don't know how you'll begin it. One woman against the world? They are already making inroads faster than we could hope to. How will you win the Novus' hearts?"

His confidence seemed to slip, and she believed she saw the real Raoul for a moment, that he was making himself vulnerable to her, showing his neck to her. Or that he wanted her to feel that way, one could never be sure. But it seemed to her that he, at that moment gave himself into her hands. He ceded that the decision was hers, and that he was bound to it, in one sentence. He would be a powerful ally.

His words put the most honest smile on her gorgeous face she gave him yet. She could feel her body temperature rising as excitement about this news made her almost giddy with joy. Knowing that any kind of outburst would be inappropriate Fahrenheit excerted as much self control as she was capable of.

Reaching out she placed her hand carefully on his but quickly retracted it as she realized she would probably burn him in her current emotional state. "You can't imagine how much this means to me, Count... Raoul.", she sighed trying to regain her composure at least partially.

"I'm not propagating war, all I want is freedom for our people. Freedom to express ourselves, free from the shackles humanity will surely try to put on us. My father...", she hesitated briefly, unsure how much she should reveal about him without appearing like a crazy fanatic.

"My father chose me for a reason, he wants the one race to find a place and time to fulfill its destiny - without human, faulty and imperfect influence. Now is the time to seize the day of this newborn rising star of our people. I want us to form a society untainted by human flaws and their misconceptions about everything."

Her eyes were searching his' as she tried to put both passion and reasonability into her speech without pushing it too far, "I can't win the Novus' hearts all on my own, I can show them the path but they must stand up and walk for themselves. I shall be both shield and beacon in these uncertain times until we've found a voice loud enough to be heard by every government on this planet. Then we shall make our next move. I only hope we won't have to resort to defend our rights with force... but I won't hesitate to make a point if necessary."

There were small fuming marks on the chair and table were her skin made contact but it didn't catch fire because of her command over the element, yet it left a glimmering trail which burnt at minimum heat until it died evaporating into smoke.

"I need more than just your help and support and I shall defend you with my life if you join me.", there was no doubt in her voice. She meant every single word.

Raoul listened to her impassioned speech intently. When she had wound down, he leaned back thoughtfully, and sipped at his cafe. Finally, he spoke.

"There is sense in what you say. The 'One' Race? An apt name, I suppose. We will surely face persecution as harsh as any Jew, I am sure. Yet, most of our number will never feel enslaved, I would wager. I agree that we and we alone must decide our destiny, but for me, it is not that I find fault with 'human' thought or society. How can I? Until a few weeks ago, it was mine as well."

Orzaiz paused and reflected. He glanced about him, at the restaurant crowd as though seeing them differently. He shook his head.

"No. For myself, I find morality and ethics an interesting subject of study. One cannot have morality imposed upon one, did you know that? The only morality that anyone follows is the code that one adopts for oneself. If that code reflects acceptance of the external morality, then so be it. However, it is the decision that determines the moral code, not the external influence."

The Count stared into his cafe. He sat in silent contemplation for a long while, Fahrenheit apparently forgotten. Then he looked up at her, a solemn expression on his face.

"Tell me, if you would, about Edinburgh."

There was a short moment of silence as Fahrenheit looked at Raoul as if she didn't understand his question. Only his silent contemplation and solemn expression made her realize what the nature of his question was.

"I'm not entirely sure what you want to know. I suppose you want to know the reasons for my actions? As far as I am concerned I protected Sascha from being raped by some local punks. They deserved to die.", the alien nature of her entire being was palpable now. She did not care about humans, their lives held no meaning to her. It wasn't hate, her anger was rather fueled by something completely different. She was fire incarnate, fire burnt indiscriminately - it destroyed everything standing in it's way - her way. She was a force of nature come to live and those who knew how to control her held a powerful weapon in their hands...

Raoul put his arm over the back of his chair and crossed his legs. He reached into an inner pocket and removed a silver cigar case. Deft fingers opened the case, removed a thin cigar, and closed the case in one continuous motion. The cigar between his teeth, the Count lit a match. The tip of the flame licked at the end of the cigar as he puffed it into ignition. He removed it from his mouth and blew gently to one side. He smiled at her beatifically.

"So, is it war, then?"

He paused, took a sip of cafe and put the cigar between his teeth again. He puffed thoughtfully, then blew up into the air over his head.

"Or, if it is not to be war... how shall we conduct ourselves? Decisions must be made, and I would like to know them, if I may."

He gazed, calmly and expectantly, across the table at her.

Again he caught her by surprise with his questions and it took her a few moments to gather her thoughts before she answered.

"Raoul, this is no dictatorship. Of course I've got my ideas and vision, but they are mine and I expect them to be challenged. I want nothing less than the best we can be, without restraint or watering down of our prime principals. I'm looking for equal minded Novus and not sheep that I shall shepard although I'm willing to be a guide in the beginning until our People have found their own voice. I am asking you and the Mathematician to found a base for our fledgling Nation - I can't do this alone. I need your brilliant mind to share my vision and enhance it in the best possible ways."

Her eyes were locked with his and they were burning with true fire. She gave him an open smile inviting him to share his thoughts with her.

"All I know is that we shouldn't meddle with human affairs. They shouldn't concern us because they can't help us reach our full potentials and they'll be even more terrified of us once they know how powerful we can be. All they can do is gather their resources and try to keep us as small as they possibly can. The more time we give them to study us, the more options they'll have finding ways to fight and control us. I am not talking war, but I am ready for it, when the time comes."

Raoul nodded in understanding of her words. He uncrossed his legs, and looked at his watch. He showed his watch to her.

"We should go."

He withdrew his wallet again from inside of his sport coat, and threw entirely too much money on the table. He offered Fahrenheit his arm. As they left, he murmured to her:

"I disagree only on one point. We must involve ourselves in their affairs, for they will not ever stop involving themselves in ours."

They maneuvered through the restaurant, ignoring the stares from their fellow diners.

"And, my dear, if we are to avoid war, or even prolong its beginnings until we are truly ready, there cannot be another Edinburgh."

Fahrenheit let herself be guided by Raoul keeping her head close to his as they continued their conversation. The stares didn't bother her at all and she kept focused on his handsome face and entrancing voice.

"That's why I want to leave it up to you to deal with them. You are much better suited for that task. Let me do what I am good at", she left out the details but it was clear what she meant.

As they left the cafe to face the gathered crowd she added with a low voice, "There won't be another Edinburgh if they stay out of my way...", her voice didn't hide her anger about the incident and she felt she just did what was within her power to do. If she had waited for help Sascha would've been murdered. It was clear for her that she did the right thing.

Once they presented themselves they were assaulted with a stackato of flashlights and for a brief moment Fahrenheit felt the urge to silence them... with fire. Raoul could feel the heat literally rising around him but she held back fuming almost through her nostrils as she exerted self control.

Count Orzaiz murmured against her ear.

"Fly, my dear. I shall meet you there."

He backed away from her, and announced:

"Kindly back away. My friend is about to become a living fire, and I am certain that you would hate to be burned. I, too would hate that."

Alarm on several faces, people backed away from the walkway in front of Cafe Montesol. Except the photographers from across the street. They jostled one another, moving ever towards them, fighting each other for a place to take a shot. Raoul winked at Fahrenheit and turned to them.

"Gentlemen, please. Come, let us talk."

Archived