Aberrant: In the Beginning - Fahrenheit

Fahrenheit

As Sascha faded back into the darkness she felt Fahrenheit barrel past her, rushing up into control.

Fahrenheit opened her eyes, and looked at the boy. The self-satisfies smirk was still on his pimply face. She smiled so suddenly that he faltered for a moment.

"But maybe you'd like it if I hurt you?"

She lunged forward, and caught the young man in an embrace, as she turned into living flame. She pushed and her body glowed white hot for an instant. She released the boy, and his ashes scattered into the wind. The larger, smarter tough turned and, yanking the chain, ran yelping into the park.

A man near the exit to a restaurant stopped to light a cigarette, then gasped as the flame shot up almost two feet, then left the wick of his lighter. Fahrenheit pulled the flame into her hand and shot it at a tree near where the boy ran. The tree burst into flame, and the boy stumbled, almost losing control of his Rottweiler, who was now pulling frantically away. Nearby, a woman screamed.

Fahrenheit smiled her dangerous smile.

"Oh, I'll get you, my pretty..."

She vanished in a flash of flame, leaving a whisp of smoke rising from a blackened spot on the pavement. At the same moment, she stepped from the burning tree, next to the fallen boy.

"...and your little dog, too!"

She laughed, almost maniacally, and raised her arms up over her head. The flaming tree gouted to almost 40 feet into the air, then rushed at the boy and his dog. The dog cooked almost instantly. The boy was a little more resiliant. He shrieked and ran, his body aflame, smoke trailing behind him. She stepped lightly over the Rotty's smoldering corpse.

In the distance, there are sirens. Fahrenheit doesn't care, she is alive and in control. She gestured at the boy, and the flames on his body grew into an inferno, he stumbled and fell.

Bystanders seem frozen in their tracks. A few have hidden behind cars or phone banks, but most are just standing, watching in horror. Fahrenheit glared at them all. Staring, as if there was something wrong with her. She gathers much of the flame from the bodies, and the tree, amplifies it, and throws up a wall of flame at the bystanders. The screams are worth the extra effort it takes her.

The constabulary screeches up at the end of the block. Fahrenheit grinned. She leaped into the air, and pulled the flame from the wall into a pillar under her feet. The park was now in flames, and there was plentiful fire for her to use. She reveled in it. The first respondants fired several shots on her, they passed through her body harmlessly.

She pulled flame from all around her, firing blast after blast at the police cars as they approached. They began to explode like giant firecrackers, and shrapnel whizzed through the air. The destruction spread into the next block. A helicopter approached, and Fahrenheit felt her power waning. She summoned much of the flame to herself and unleashed an exploding burst of flame at the copter. It lilted to the side, engulfed in flame. She flew on the pillar of flame, away from the carnage. Behind her, the blades of the copter bit into the dirt, the fuselage crumpled, and it exploded.

She landed on the roof of a shoe store, and looked with approval on what she had wrought. As she allowed her body to resume it's normal form, she relinquished control, and allowed Sascha to come forward.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the pits of darkness her mindprison was Sascha arose and had difficulties adjusting her eyes to what she saw. Obviously she was on an elevated position with a good view of a small park which was standing in Fire and on the verge of breaking out, spreading to the next standing building.

Sascha sank to her knees as if someone had kicked her in the gut. Oh my god... this... was her. She saved me... but for what price?". Sascha's thoughts were spinning and she didn't notice that this time her clothes remained unharmed. She even had the bag with her which she had slung over her shoulders like a rucksack. Nothing had been burned.

"I need to get away from here.", she mumbled to herself looking around for a way to get off the buildings roof. On the backside of the building she found a fire-escape just like the buildings had in the movies and she climbed down the stairs as fast as she could. Soon the whole city would be after her... And what shall I do then? Fahrenheit can't burn them all down, can she?".

Sascha didn't know which thought startled her more - that Fahrenheit could burn everything or that she couldn't and sooner or later they would catch her... only that it would be Sascha who they held accountable for the destruction and the deaths. As Sascha walked down the Alleys, trying to get as much distance between her and the destruction Fahrenheit had caused she felt strangely in peace. As if someone had released some pressure on the valve that her node had become.

From the pits of darkness her mindprison was Sascha arose and had difficulties adjusting her eyes to what she saw. Obviously she was on an elevated position with a good view of a small park which was standing in Fire and on the verge of breaking out, spreading to the next standing building.

Sascha sank to her knees as if someone had kicked her in the gut. Oh my god... this... was her. She saved me... but for what price?". Sascha's thoughts were spinning and she didn't notice that this time her clothes remained unharmed. She even had the bag with her which she had slung over her shoulders like a rucksack. Nothing had been burned.

"I need to get away from here.", she mumbled to herself looking around for a way to get off the buildings roof. On the backside of the building she found a fire-escape just like the buildings had in the movies and she climbed down the stairs as fast as she could. Soon the whole city would be after her... And what shall I do then? Fahrenheit can't burn them all down, can she?".

Sascha didn't know which thought startled her more - that Fahrenheit could burn everything or that she couldn't and sooner or later they would catch her... only that it would be Sascha who they held accountable for the destruction and the deaths. As Sascha walked down the Alleys, trying to get as much distance between her and the destruction Fahrenheit had caused she felt strangely in peace. As if someone had released some pressure on the valve that her node had become.

As Sascha walked slowly away from the scene of her destruction, she is passed by furiously speeding firetrucks, rescue vehicles, and ambulances. Each one takes a little bite out of what remained of her soul. She finally reaches a cafe several blocks from the park, and sits on a bench to breathe and think.

As she sits, she hears a faint tinkling, very melodic. She looks around curiously, and slowly realizes that it is coming from her duffle bag. She paws through the bag, and in an inside pocket that she didn't notice before, she finds a cell phone, ringing.

The song it is playing is 'We Didn't Start the Fire' by Billy Joel.

As Sascha walked slowly away from the scene of her destruction, she is passed by furiously speeding firetrucks, rescue vehicles, and ambulances. Each one takes a little bite out of what remained of her soul. She finally reaches a cafe several blocks from the park, and sits on a bench to breathe and think.

As she sits, she hears a faint tinkling, very melodic. She looks around curiously, and slowly realizes that it is coming from her duffle bag. She paws through the bag, and in an inside pocket that she didn't notice before, she finds a cell phone, ringing.

The song it is playing is 'We Didn't Start the Fire' by Billy Joel.

Sascha nervously stared at the ringing cell phone looking around to see if someone was following or watching her. This was no coincedence and the feeling that her fate lay in someone else's hands didn't do much to improve her overall panic. Her life couldn't get much worse, could it?

"Hello?", she answered with a trembling voice.

Sascha nervously stared at the ringing cell phone looking around to see if someone was following or watching her. This was no coincedence and the feeling that her fate lay in someone else's hands didn't do much to improve her overall panic. Her life couldn't get much worse, could it?

"Hello?", she answered with a trembling voice.

A monotone, computer modulated voice says.

"I have been monitoring events in your location. I am sending you a taxi at your current location. Please take it. The driver is one of mine. We need to meet."

A taxicab pulls up in front of the cafe. It sits there, engine idling, while Sascha decides what to do.

A monotone, computer modulated voice says.

"I have been monitoring events in your location. I am sending you a taxi at your current location. Please take it. The driver is one of mine. We need to meet."

A taxicab pulls up in front of the cafe. It sits there, engine idling, while Sascha decides what to do.

Fear gripped her heart as she heard the computer modulated voice. She had no clue if this was going to be a trap or if she was helping Fahrenheit get what she wanted. Both options didn't do much to improve her overall uneasy feeling.

Sascha looked over at the cab and again at the cellphone in her hand. The call was disconnected by the caller and she slowly pushed the slider back into it's default position. She had been locked away from humanity since she was 14. Most of the things she saw she knew only from books and from the very few times she was allowed to watch TV. She kept asking herself if she really had a choice? Back at the Asylum people were telling her what to do, she was used to the daily protocols and now she was facing freedom. But what did that mean to her? She was slowly realizing that she didn't know much about freedom. Was this freedom she thought as she stared again at the cell phone. There was only one way to find out.

Taking a deep breath Sascha put the cellphone back into the duffelbag and walked to the cab opening a door and taking a seat in the back row. She looked at the drivers eyes through his rear-view-mirror and said nothing, her eyes spoke for themselves.

Fear gripped her heart as she heard the computer modulated voice. She had no clue if this was going to be a trap or if she was helping Fahrenheit get what she wanted. Both options didn't do much to improve her overall uneasy feeling.

Sascha looked over at the cab and again at the cellphone in her hand. The call was disconnected by the caller and she slowly pushed the slider back into it's default position. She had been locked away from humanity since she was 14. Most of the things she saw she knew only from books and from the very few times she was allowed to watch TV. She kept asking herself if she really had a choice? Back at the Asylum people were telling her what to do, she was used to the daily protocols and now she was facing freedom. But what did that mean to her? She was slowly realizing that she didn't know much about freedom. Was this freedom she thought as she stared again at the cell phone. There was only one way to find out.

Taking a deep breath Sascha put the cellphone back into the duffelbag and walked to the cab opening a door and taking a seat in the back row. She looked at the drivers eyes through his rear-view-mirror and said nothing, her eyes spoke for themselves.

Without a word, the driver pulls away from the curb. He mercifully takes a route away from the devastation in the park. Still, the sirens were hard to avoid. He glanced in the rear-view a few times, but did not speak.

Shortly, they drove up to the gates of Edinburgh Airport. After inspecting Sascha's passport, the security guard passes the car through.

"Danke, Fraulein Brandt. Genießen Sie Ihren Flug." He smiled with the self-satisfaction of those who have surprised a foreign person with their own language.

The driver drove the cab out on the tarmac, to a waiting private jet. The sigil on the tailfin was a stylized 'C' with a star inside the curve of the letter. On the side of the plane, the words 'Core International' were written. The door was open, and the stairs were rolled up to the door and locked into position.

The driver got out, walked around the cab, and opened the door respectfully for Sascha. He lowered his head deferentially.

Sascha stared out of the window, trying to ignore the devestation she had done. She wasn’t sure if she should have a bad conscience for something she couldn’t remember… it wasn’t her fault, was it? She sighed with relief as the cab left the scenery and headed down the road to Edinburgh Airport. Even if this was a trap her would be kidnapper seemed to have at least some sense of taste and good manners.

Sascha wasn’t used to this kind of attention and she had just flown once before in her life – and that was a helicopter. She looked at the private jet and back at the city unsure what to do. Then as if someone or something was urging her to move she climbed the stairs up and entered the jet. Maybe once she was lucky… maybe just once…

She entered the jet, into a sumptiously appointed, elegantly decorated room. There was a bar along one bulkhead, and several overstuffed leather reclining chairs. The front bulkhead was dominated by a huge flat screen. Towards the rear of the room was a sitting area, a large couch and loveseat around a table bolted into the floor. A hostess stood behind the bar.

She said, "Welcome, ma'am. Please make yourself at home. Mr. Santiago will be joining you shortly. May I offer you a drink?"

Sascha had never imagined how the jet would look like from the inside. It appeared to her more than a flying bar with nice seating arrangements than an actual plane. She smiled hesitantly to the hostess and nodded to her, "Water...? Do you have water?", her voice was a half croak as she still was trying to realize where she was.

She placed the duffle bag right next to her on the seat and made herself comfortable at the bar. Somehow she felt extremely out of place. All the luxury and attention was contradictory to all the experience she had made before. For a short moment she considered dialing Peter's number and just leave the celphone on but she discarded that thought. It would have caused just more complication. Maybe he was right and she did have enough strength to make it through, though she didn't quite believed in it. Even if she made it, what then? She had no friends. Her parents couldn't understand what was going on and always treated her like an alien until they sent her to Asylum for treatment. She had no one except Peter.

Sascha sighed heavily and sipped from the glass of water. At least she wasn't itching underneath her skin... for now. She wondered why.

"Who is this Mr. Santiago?", asked Sascha the hostess taking another sip of her glass.

The door leading to the rear of the plane opened, and a man emerged. At least, Sascha thought it was a man. He stepped into the light, and she gasped. He had no eyes. Not that he had empty sockets, just that from his hairline to his cheeks was smooth skin. And that wasn't the scary part. Around his head, numbers and symbols floated, circling. Occasionally, one would sink in, or another would fly off, disappating in the air. Mostly they just.. floated. Once she tore her eyes off of his face, she saw that he wore an expensive suit, custom tailored from the look. He nodded at the hostess, who brought him a glass of water. He sat in one of the overstuffed chairs, and smiled at Sascha.

"I am Pedro Santiago. Or, you may call me Mathematician. I answer to either. Such a great pleasure to meet you, Fahrenheit. Or, is it Sascha Kindler I am greeting?"

Sascha couldn’t stop staring at the eyeless man. He had an alien nature that was almost palpable. From the way the man addressed her she was sure that he would very much prefer talking to Fahrenheit but somehow she didn’t feel her urging to change. Sascha wasn’t sure if that was a rather pleasant or disturbing experience. She never felt this kind of peace before and it almost was like Fahrenheit was asleep.

Clearing her throat she answered nervously, “I am Sascha… but I think you don’t want to talk with me, Mr. Mathematician…”, after a short pause she added, “Does that hurt?”, she pointed at his missing eyes and the flying numbers floating around his head.

Santiago's mouth twitched into a half-smile. He accepted the water from the hostess with a nod.

"No, it doesn't hurt. I'm used to it. What about you? When your body burns, and you turn into a human flame, does it hurt? I suspect not. I suspect that it is only then that you feel truly alive."

He took a long sip.

"MMmmm. Yes. We spend so much time drinking concoctions that have been fermented or sugared, manufactured drinks, that we sometimes forget how good a simple glass of water can be. Thank you. Sascha, I know that you believe that Fahrenheit is someone else, that the two of you are not connected, but I assure you that is not the case. She is you, and you are she. Someday you will come to understand. We, you and I as well as the rest of the so-called Novus, are the next stage of human evolution. Some, perhaps most, will think of themselves as 'humans with powers' or 'superheroes' or some such. That is dangerous thinking."

He took another long sip, then patted his mouth with a linen napkin.

"Michael came to me last year. He and I, and perhaps a half dozen others, came into our abilities naturally, as part of the course of evolution. We spent a month together, talking and exploring what it means to be trans-human. He came to me again three weeks ago, claiming to have discovered a way to 'force' evolution. To awaken the dormant genes in humans that would not have normally achieved their awakening. I expect to hear from him again soon, since he has apparantly achieved his aim. He told me of you, he said that you were one of the few who had awakened naturally. Are you?"

Santiago's words made an eerie kind of sense to her. Even though she didn't like to admit it, there was a part of her that knew he was right. Yet she couldn't take control of it... she just couldn't.

Then he spoke about him and he got her attention immediately.

"You know him?! Where is he? You've got to tell me.", Sascha jumped up and walked towards the strange man. "I must... I must...", she was struggling for the right words but failed to describe what she felt and what she wanted to say.

"I must see him, please.", Sascha's voice was pleading and demanding. Her eyes focused on Santiago, slowly changing their natural hazel color to an intensive burning fire. "Get him here, now!"

As though summoned by her words, an incandescant fire appears in the cabin. The hostess gives a tiny, "eep." and hauls for the back. The Mathematician grinned broadly.

"You're my good luck charm, I think, Sascha," he says as the fire resolves itself into Him. Divis Mal. The Terrible Angel.

He smiles gently down at Fahrenheit.

"Hush, child. I am here."

She loses all anger and intensity at his voice. He strokes her cheek.

"You are my chosen one, Sascha. Pedro and I have met before, yes. And though I value him, highly, he is not the one I have sought. You are. You do not understand, you will perhaps never understand. And that, too, is perhaps best. You, who are so much like I was, when I was born to power. You, who I have never seen, in any of the futures I have contemplated. I believe you will make the difference."

He turns to Santiago. Inclines his head, as though to a respected equal.

"Treat her well. Care for her, as you would for me. You may not see me again for... quite some time. Abide, and do what you will for my people."

He turns once again to Fahrenheit. Runs his fingers through her hair.

"I'm afraid that this will have to carry you for a while, my brave one. Remember that you have been Chosen to lead my people. To show them the true path of the One Race. I annoint you in fire... my heir, my daughter, my successor until I return."

Raising his hand in benediction, he fades away.

"In My name..." he whispers as he disappears.

Sascha slowly burned away revealing Fahrenheit underneath. She closed her eyes taking a deep breath and catching his scent. There he was and she wanted to touch him, embrace him and join him in eternal fire, even if it consumed her, she didn't care.

His voice was soothing and his words reasured her of what was always gnawing at her mind. He was the reason for everything. He gave her life, he was her father and lover there was no doubt now.

Then she realised what he was about to say and she opened her eyes searching his eyes. She shook her head forming the word "No" with her lips but her voice failed her. She reached out to him and saw him smile at her and the warmth of his soothing voice swept over her again. He was right and she wouldn't fail him.

"In your name I shall unite the One Race", then he was gone.

She looked at Santiago and smiled at him. "About your question - yes I've been here long before Galatea. I am his daughter.", she looked at the spot where Divis just had disappeared. "So where are we going now? Do you have some other promising contacts? We need to formulate a plan in order to survive the coming storm."

As she looks at the Mathematician, she realizes that he is floored by Divis Mal's revelation. She can almost see it in the numbers floating about his head. Daughter? It is slightly amusing, but she doesn't laugh. Finally, he bows his head.

"Very well. You have been Chosen. I will bear witness to the others. Still, I don't like the Messianic overtones here. I have more respect for Michael Donighal than anyone I have ever met, but I am leery of founding a Church of Mal, or some such."

At her questions, he nods.

"I have my eye on a couple of the Novus. We shall see. I had planned to take you to my home, in Chile. I have a house in Spain, though, if you would rather stay close to Europe. I have some ideas about where to go from here, but I am at your service, Fahrenheit. You tell me what we do next, and that is what we will do."

He peers up at her with his eyeless face, expressionless. She gets the feeling that he is peeling off just enough rope for her to hang herself with.

"Don't toy with me or assume anything. I am his daughter and I will do what I feel is right and necessary for our people. I don't expect you to understand that. Maybe that is the reason he has chosen me over you, even though you know him longer doesn't mean you know him better.", her words were cold and icy.

"I'm going to provide you with a list of names while you follow the plan you had in mind. I want you to tell me who is highly likely to join us and who would oppose us, Mathematician.", she smiled at him trying to keep her cold front to him.

"And don't play the submissive servant while you formulate a plan to make me fail. If I fail him because of some silly mindgames you're trying to pull off with me, I'm sure he will show you just how much he appreciates that. We're in this together.", she flashed him another smile before she started to note down names on a list.

- Wei Fang

- Juno Reyes

- Jay King

- Peter Bell

- Caryn Sanders

- Michael Peters

- Richard Stevenson

- Nathan Dayes

- Titan Omega

- Shelby Eisenfaust

For a moment, the numbers around his head fall away, and eyeless or not, he is simply Pedro Santiago. He stares at her, mouth agape. Then, finally, he closes his mouth and bows his head.

"As you say, Mistress." His tone is entirely submissive.

He takes her list, and looks it over.

"I only know some of the names on this list. Of them, right off hand, I would say no to Peters, Eisenfaust, and probably Omega. Stevenson may be able to be influenced, Reyes is open because of her youth. King could go either way, I think. I tend to think of Sanders as a no, but one can never tell. Bell, I think we have a chance with. Dayes and Wei I have never heard of."

He waits in silence for her to respond.

Fahrenheit nodded in agreement with the Mathematicians evaluation. ”Good. I suppose we need to investigate further and gather some more information about them. I think it is very important for us to find out who would be willing to join our vision of the One Race and who won’t. What is your company about, Mathematician? What resources do you have at your disposal? And whom did you have in mind to make contact with?”

Fahrenheit kept her eyes locked on the list and burned away the names which the Mathematician considered unlikely to join. Her mind kept circling around the other names which didn’t lead to any satisfying result. She needed to find out more about them. She needed to gain a tactical advantage. Something that would make them understand that there was only one way to guarantee the survival of the One Race. Slowly an idea sparked in her mind and soon swept over her like a blazing fire and she smiled wickedly. Time to say goodbye to your parents, Sascha.

The Mathematician answered promptly.

"I am the principal shareholder in CORE International. We are a venture capital firm, with interests in several hundred companies. Just about any product or service you know of, we sell. Start looking at the small print on signs and commercials. You'll start seeing our name. Resources? Effectively unlimited. It might strain our capital to build a space shuttle program from scratch, but I doubt it. Personally, I am worth $32 billion, but CORE is worth hundreds of billions."

He pulls a file folder, hands it over. Inside is a list of names. She recognizes a few from Aeon. They were ones who walked, when the doctors started talking about a better world for humanity. Most, she has never heard of.

"There have been many eruptions around the world. So far, I calculate perhaps 150 Novus worldwide. Almost 20% are under China's thumb. Another 30% seem to be beholden to Aeon. That leaves 75 Novus uncontrolled and not beholden to anyone. Yet, every day that number dwindles, as governments and agencies belatedly realize the new currency of the world. Novus. They will be hotly contested for by almost every human agency. What are your plans?"

He is testing me. Odd thing is that he was seeking out me and I was looking for someone else. It was his doing that put us together so there must be a reason he trusts him.

Fahrenheit took her list and compared it to the names in the file folder. After a few minutes she looked at the Mathematician and smiled at him with pure wickedness in her eyes.

”Your list is most excellent my dear. But I don’t see how to make them join us if the only reason is money? We need to find individuals who look past human desires. We need to find those who know that their destiny is not bound by human laws. We are no longer humans. We are the next evolutionary step and we need to emancipate ourselves else we get drowned by the same mistakes humanity has done in its past. We have the means and the power to build our own society. I’m looking for pioneers and visionaries. Architects of the One Race.”

She hasn’t said everything that was on her mind yet, instead she kept her smile and walked towards the bar leaning casually against it showing the Mathematician her back.

”Get us airborne. We need to find someone charismatic and someone with an analytical mind. I need someone who can analyse a person with as little facts as possible available. From those I know that little Chinese girl would fit best. You pick your best candidate and work on getting him on board. We need to split up for maximum effect. In the meantime I will pay some old friends a short visit. It won’t take too long, I promise.”

Fahrenheit took another piece of paper out of the file folder and wrote something down for Sascha. She would need her to make first contact. Maybe Sascha wasn’t that useless after all.

From behind her, Fahrenheit hears Santiago.

"Captain? Yes, we're ready. It's ok, I'll pay the fine. Thank you." He gently placed the handset into the arm of his chair.

"I don't disagree with you, quite the contrary. I think that there will be a handful, perhaps 14.25%, who will be thinking along those lines. Most, I am afraid, will be after money and fame. That is simply the way the world works. Pioneers and visionaries we can find, they will be the easiest to recruit. But not everyone will be a leader. Any movement needs followers as well. Those that are simply money hungry, I can easily bring into the fold with a front organization of some kind. Once inside the organization, we can work to slowly convert them to the cause. Merely an observation, of course. The final judgement must be yours."

He takes the news of her leaving calmly. He nods.

"I am thinking about a gentleman from France, whose eruption did not go unnoticed by the Aeonites. He, however, has so far refused to join them at their London stronghold. He has been polite, but he has refused nonetheless. His name is Delorimer, and I think he can be approached safely. Enjoy your visit, and I will get started here."

The jet had reached its travel altitude and Fahrenheit took time to look outside one of the large windows of the custom build plane. It was only a few days since she had found freedom and now she had already embarked on a quest to free her people. She would do everything for him. He gave her life, gave her existence meaning and she would not fail him.

She looked down to the note she had written for Sascha. It contained short instructions to call Aeon and ask for Wei Fang. Her feelings for Sascha were a mixture of disgust and motherly protection instincts. When she had left Aeon she wanted to get rid of her but now she slowly started to see the benefits of having her around. Sascha was innocent and honest. Sascha was her way to bridge the gap she felt between herself and human society. If she found a way to make Sascha understand they could work hand in hand.

She could see the shoreline of Northern France and walked over to the Bar and addressed the hostess, ”Make sure that there is a cigarette lighted throughout my absence.”

Fahrenheit closed her eyes and concentrated extending her awareness to the fires burning in the world. The smell of burnt gasoline filled her nostrils as her mind reached the crowded streets of Berlin. Fahrenheit focused her concentration on a specific house she had seen in Sascha’s childhood memories and smiled as she felt the familiar warmth spreading through her body while she connected her awareness with the remains of a dying fire in the chimney of the envisioned house. Within the same second her body followed her consciousness and materialized in the dying fire.

(ooc: this story will be continued here: Reunion )

The cigarette aboard the jet flashed briefly and flared into a full blaze as Fahrenheit materialized where she had left earlier. The hostess tripped and almost fell and cursed under her breath. The Mathematician had been an “odd” customer but this woman made her skin itch every time she came near her. Fahrenheit smiled at the hostess as if she had read her mind and walked to her seat, obviously satisfied with the results of her short absence.

”I need a secure line for Sascha. I want her to do the call now.”, Fahrenheit picked up the phone from the handset of the arm of her chair and looked at the Mathematician with a raised eye brow.

Meanwhile, back on the plane, Pedro Santiago considers his options. This... this woman is Mal's successor? Try as he might, he can't see it. And now, he is, for better or worse, stuck.

He flips open a console on his armrest, presses a few buttons. Though he is stuck, he can take precautions, in case the woman is as unstable as she seems. His contingency plans in place, he breathes a bit easier. He will see exactly what there is to this Fahrenheit, and if she is indeed the one, he will know and follow. If not, then Mal or no, she will not be tolerated.

Daughter, though. Is it possible? He made a note to find out. He knew something about Michael, something that she may not be aware of. It certainly wouldn't prohibit children, but it raised questions.

He lighted a cigarette, and after a moment, took a long drag. It had been years, but today was the day. Suspecting what she wanted it for, however, he carfully placed the cigarette into an ashtray across the cabin. He got to work on Delorimer. Not quite charasmatic enough, but he would nevertheless be a good ally. Something on the monitor caught his attention, and he turned up the sound.

With Fahrenheit back aboard, the Mathematician sent the hostess away again. The poor woman was just hopeless around the fiery novus. He nodded at the request for the secure line, pressed a button on his console, and indicated the phone.

"When you are done, you should see this. Cairo, twenty minutes ago. Then Pax and another Novus arrive, and the battle is still going on. I'm not sure how this changes things, the variables are not finalized, but I am certain that there will be implications."

Fahrenheit nodded at the Mathematician as she concentrated on the task at hand. Closing her eyes she retreated back into Sascha, just enough to be virtually underneath her skin. Sascha looked around yet again confused by the sudden change of location. She had just been with her parents and now she was back on board Santiago’s private jet. She held the handset in one hand and a piece of paper in the other. She recognised the handwriting as her own but she didn’t remember writing anything down.

Quote:
I know you think of me as your tormentor. As someone who only wants to make your life even more miserable. Truth is, my dear, I’m the only one who really cares for you. All these years I heard you crying and weeping and I could feel your desperation and frustration because no one understood what was going on. Your parents sent you away when you most needed them – They won’t hurt you again. The world decided to turn its back on you and yet you survived – because of me.

We are standing on the threshold to a new future and much is dependent on whether you are willing to take action or remain passive. You are not human Sascha, and we need every single one of us to survive else humanity will hunt us down, kill us and lock up those they cannot kill. I know you never want to be locked up again ever! Trust in me and I assure you that won’t happen to us.

I want you to call Aeon and talk with Wei Fang. Make an arrangement to meet her – tell her I want to talk to her. Make her understand that it is about the future of our People. The New People as she labelled us. She’ll understand and if she is afraid of walking into a trap tell her that I’m willing to meet on neutral ground.

Fahrenheit

Tears were running over Sascha’s cheeks as she read the letter. She knew her parents were dead and she hated her inability to make Fahrenheit stop. For a moment she considered smashing the handset to pieces frustrated by the whole situation but that wouldn’t change a thing. She read the letter once more and slowly calmed down. And even though she hated it, she had to admit that Fahrenheit was not lying to her. She had always been there, it made no sense denying it.

Sascha took the handset and made her call, “Yes, excuse me, my name is Sascha Kindler. I would like to speak with Wei Fang, it is urgent.”

Sascha waited nervously to be connected with Wei Fang. She hoped the chinese woman would cooperate. Sascha didn't dare to imagine what Fahrenheit would do if she didn't.

Quote:

[Fahrenheit]: Fang? This is Sascha, you remember me?

[Fang]: Yes, I do. How are you Sascha?

[Fahrenheit]: I'm... I'm ok. Sort of

[Fang]: What's wrong?

[Fang]: Do you need help?

[Fahrenheit]: That's... difficult to explain. There is someone who wants to meet

you personally.

[Fahrenheit]: She wants to talk to you

[Fang]: Why? *sounds like she's frowning*

[Fahrenheit]: *flinches audibly* Fahrenheit... Fahrenheit wants to meet you.

She says you'll understand. It's about the future of the New People

[Fang]: *pause* When and where would she like to meet?

[Fahrenheit]: I guess that's up to you. She is willing to meet on your conditions

as long as it's on neutral ground. Just don't give her a reason to cause damage, that's

all I'm asking of you *sounds really scared*

[Fahrenheit]: She's dangerous, Fang

[Fahrenheit]: please don't say no

[Fahrenheit]: *starts crying quietly*

[Fang]: I am aware that she is dangerous. Yes, I will meet her.

[Fahrenheit]: good...*relieved* where and when?

[Fang]: Just a moment...

[Fang]: *hear typing*

[Fahrenheit]: *taps impatiently on the phone*

[Fang]: Here, write down these numbers - 8-1-dot-4-9-5-1-5 and negative

2-2-dot-5-4-3-9-4-5. They're coordinates. Can she be there in an hour?

[Fang] 3:32 pm: [OOC: Here's that location: http://maps.google.com

/?ie=UTF8&ll=81.49515,-22.543945&spn=0.256316,2.460938&t=h&z=9 ]

[Fahrenheit]: ahm... I guess she can

[Fang]: Because I will be as well.

[Fahrenheit]: wait

[Fang]: Yes?

[Fahrenheit]: *her voice changes* Make sure to light a fire, else I won't make

it in an hour

[Fahrenheit]: I promise I won't hurt you unless you attack me

[Fang]: Understood.

[Fang]: I give you my word on that same measure as well.

[Fahrenheit]: agreed

[Fahrenheit]: *she hangs up*

Fahrenheit smiled and wiped the tears away Sascha had shed. She checked the location with the Mathematicians help and nodded to herself. Good choice, Fang. Very good choice indeed.

(ooc: The meeting takes place in this thread: Meeting in Darkness and Snow

• 2 weeks later...

(ooc: Continued after the Meeting in Darkness and Snow Thread)

The last glimmer of the cigarette on board the Mathematicians private jet sparked to live again as Fahrenheit returned leaving a faint smell of burnt tissue behind. It had only taken a few minutes and she was confident that the Mathematician was making progress as well. She was satisfied with the result of the conversation. Fang would not join right away but she had sparked an idea, Fahrenheit was positive about that.

She reclined on the large chair and relaxed a bit. Once they've touched ground again she needed to get some decent clothes. Wearing the Aeon sweater and training pants didn't appeal to her taste. Sascha didn't care much about that but she would have to learn to live with Fahrenheit's more exotic taste.

Smiling at herself Fahrenheit looked out of the window. The future lay before them and it was her destiny to change the world. Her name would never be forgotten.

The jet flew on. The Mathematician continued working behind her, and Fahrenheit celebrated her triumph by bathing in the rays of the sun. After a few hours of relative silence, The Mathematician cleared his throat.

"I've found him. I believe I have found our front man."

He offered a photograph. A dark-skinned young man smiled broadly up at an older version of himself.

"Raoul Orzaiz. A minor member of the Spanish nobility. He graduated from university last month, and has admitted to the press that he has recently discovered that he is a Novus. When asked if he will be joining his fellows in London, his response speaks volumes. 'Absolutely a resounding no. I think that I am better suited to discover the potentials and limits of my new evolutionary status than members of a species whose limitations I have surpassed by my mere existence. Show me a Novus scientist, a Novus doctor, and perhaps I shall trust their opinions. Until then, I shall rely on independent study, and my own instincts. I suspect that I shall be just fine without them.' Interesting, no?"

The Mathematician leans back, waiting for his mistress' response.

Fahrenheit watched the sun and felt its warmth caressing her face. She closed her eyes and breathed calmly and for a short moment it was as if she could feel him touching her face. Her heart beat faster and she gasped as the imagination almost felt real. She opened her eyes and turned around but there was no one there except the Mathematician and the hostess.

Originally Posted By: Titan

"I've found him. I believe I have found our front man."

He offered a photograph. A dark-skinned young man smiled broadly up at an older version of himself.

"Raoul Orzaiz. A minor member of the Spanish nobility. He graduated from university last month, and has admitted to the press that he has recently discovered that he is a Novus. When asked if he will be joining his fellows in London, his response speaks volumes. 'Absolutely a resounding no. I think that I am better suited to discover the potentials and limits of my new evolutionary status than members of a species whose limitations I have surpassed by my mere existence. Show me a Novus scientist, a Novus doctor, and perhaps I shall trust their opinions. Until then, I shall rely on independent study, and my own instincts. I suspect that I shall be just fine without them.' Interesting, no?"

Fahrenheit nodded still a bit shaken by the intense feeling the sun had given her. Feeling shivers down her spine she had to force herself to concentrate on what the Mathematician just said. She walked over to him taking the photograph and bought herself some time to refocus.

“Very interesting indeed, Mathematician. This statement is not faked? I don’t want to run into a trap if we meet with him. I suggest you appoint a meeting with him and we fly right there. No reason to lose time before Aeon tries to talk him into their service. Fortunately money won’t lure him, he should be wealthy enough being nobility.”

Still looking at the picture she smiled at the Mathematician and added, “You don’t happen to have a women’s wardrobe on board? I suppose I need to get something more appropriate for our guest these Aeon clothes start to feel itchy on my skin.”

• 2 months later...

The Mathematician was nothing if not methodical. He called in an attendant, and gave her murmured instructions. She nodded once, glanced at Fahrenheit, and left briskly. He pressed another button on his control panel.

"Sí, señor?" a disembodied voice enquired.

"Paulo, plot a course for Ibiza, Spain, por favor. Let me know an ETA soonest." The Mathematician seemed to stare blankly into the air, but with his lack of eyes, who could tell?

"Sí, Don Pedro. Ibiza, Spain. Un momento."

Santiago turned his attention back to Fahrenheit.

"Anabel is laying out some choices for you in the bedroom. Your bedroom now. She will return to escort you when she has-"

"I have that ETA, Don Pedro," the intercom cut in.

"Go ahead," he instructed.

"Cuatro horas, señor."

"Gracias, Capitán."

Anabel reentered the cabin. She approached Fahrenheit with her head bowed.

"Señora, this way, por favor."

The Mathematician nodded at Fahrenheit.

"Go ahead. Refresh yourself. You should even take a nap, if you can. We'll land in Ibiza in four hours. I will make a call to Orzaiz's social secretary to see if he can meet with us. Anything else I should do while you change?"

He looked at her expectantly.

Fahrenheit smiled acknowledging the Mathematicians effective methodical assessment. ”We should keep an eye on any activities of the Aeon-Society. Novus like Orzaiz will call to their attention and I suppose they’ll try to find a way to convince them to their cause.”

She stopped at the door before she added another thought, ”How much can you gather on this Spaniard? I’d like a short briefing before we meet him. Anything that could give us an extra edge would be appreciated.”

Then her voice got a little warmer and her smile actually showed a hint of appreciation, ”Thank you for helping me.”

She entered her room which had a rather odd effect on her. Up until a few days ago she had nothing which really belonged to her but the Mathematician’s words implied just enough to make her understand that this was really hers and hers alone. The room was large and generously furnished with a queen sized bed and a comfortable chair very much like the Mathematician’s own little “throne”. Fahrenheit walked slowly towards the bed obviously lost in thoughts and didn’t notice how Anabel opened a large wardrobe and started to sprawl out several outfits on the bed. She gave the outfits just a brief look before she wordlessly pointed at some black leather pants with a matching leather corsage and high heeled boots.

Fahrenheit undressed and put on her new clothes enjoying the skin tight material on her skin. Smiling at Anabel she just nodded to the door and let her eyes speak for herself that she was dismissed.

Once she was alone Fahrenheit let herself fall on the large bed and closed her eyes letting all the pressure and expectation she felt on her shoulders seep out of her. Slowly her skin changed back to its more natural tint and within seconds the darkness of a dreamless sleep enveloped her. Fahrenheit had retreated and Sascha slept soundly the sleep of the just.

• 3 months later...

Fahrenheit awoke twice in rapid succession. For a moment she was just Sascha, lying there blearily as she dimly registered someone knocking on the door to the room she was in. Then she looked around, registered where she was...

...and Fahrenheit stepped in, along with the darkening of skin to crimson, and the unseen wind that whipped her hair to flame. As she grudgingly freed herself from the tyranny of the blanket Anabel's polite, door-muffled voice said that they'd be landing soon, and that the briefing she'd requested was ready.

Dreams was all she had left of him. Dreams of the past and the future. Dreams of the One Race and the agonizing fear of failing.

Her dreams were starting to invade her subconscious mind. Sascha was scared and cowed by the presence of Fahrenheit. She watched her kiss that man who awakened the Firedemon and he returned it much less like a lover and more like a caring father. Her heart beat fast and she could hear it like drums in her ears until she woke up with a startle.

Right then the door knocked and she looked around, first confused and then scared again. Before she realized where she was Fahrenheit squashed her presence and she fell back into darkness.

The Dream set her mood - it was heavy and brooding as her thoughts still dwelt on the loss. How much she wished that he was here - she wanted to bask in his fire.

Leaving her room her eyes met Santiago's - or where his eyes should be and she hesitated for a moment before she took her seat. "Lets hear it. What can we expect, what are do's and don'ts in that man's presence?"

The little glowing numbers orbited Santiago's head, merging and changing and whirling merrily in and out. Fahrenheit wondered if they reflected his actual thoughts, or if it was just some random display. The Mathematician's expression, eyeless as it was, betrayed nothing of what was going on inside.

"Count Raoul Orzaiz, of the Monte Carlo Orzaiz family. A celebrity in his native country and most of Western Europe. He is believed to have erupted two weeks ago, while on a hunting expedition in Africa. Unmarried, no children. Two older siblings and one younger."

Though there was a file folder on the low table in front of the seats, Santiago made no move to open it or look inside. He'd apparently memorized it all.

"Psychological profiles indicate a dominant personality. He is known to be cultured and charming, but he is accustomed to getting his way. Suggested tactics; make him an ally, not a follower. Convince him of your ideological and philosophical perspective. Do not attempt to lie or deceive. Analysis shows he will respect clarity of purpose, fearless but tactful honesty, and passion for your cause as evidenced by resistance to persuasion."

He paused in his report, but only to take a breath.

"He will most likely attempt to test your resolve on more than one level, potentially at the same time. He will very likely know more about you than you expect, and will use that knowledge to try to put you off balance. Evidence shows he may be vulnerable to seduction, but is likely to dismiss you once he has 'conquered' you."

There was another pause as the Mathematician riffled his mental notes, then 'looked' at Fahrenheit. "That concludes my preliminary report. Do you have any specific questions at this time?"

Archived