Aberrant: In the Beginning - Table Talk- In the Beginning

Titan

Seems to me Utopia got a lot of things right...it was the kernel of fear at the heart of it that corrupted it. That fear of novas ate away at its policies in secret, until everything good about it was undermined.

We might do better trying to address the problems in Utopia, rather than start from scratch.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Lily - you can't use Adaptability to counter Immolate - unfortunately. It counts as attack and not as an environmental condition. Unless you got armor or Inv. Fire/Energy it's highly likely that you'll be burned. I'm just saying this, because Adaptability can't be used as defense against it, not because I want to hurt your character.

Yprs! I have two left who are not there yet, and for story reasons, they will not come for a bit more.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

BTW: Fahrenheit shot her quantum wad on bringing down the asylum. This is around 3 hours later, and I don't think she was very relaxed. Basically, I had her run out of quantum. If you wondered why she just flickered out... and I PMd Joani to that effect, so she wouldn't be like, "was is das?"

Happy Day after N Day!

it's fine and I didn't want to kill anyone, but it felt just the right thing to do. That's part of the character. I'm ok with how things turned out in the end.

I hope I get a lead in to where I wake up again?

I'll be most likely back on monday.

I have a 'yellow pad' on my desktop, and i have Æon on it, and whenever I start posting, I ctrl-c it, and when I need it, I ctrl-v it. I asked the same question, when I saw Nathan post it, and the hyper-intelligent Wei Fang suggested to do it that way.

All you were waiting for was Wraith, and now that she's posted, you are free to enter. I don't figure that you had any trouble convincing someone that you belonged there...

I don't know actually. There's a part where it says each power with an extra is a separate power, and can't be used independently of the extra.

So if you had a q-bolt with Area, for example, and wanted a q-bolt without Area, you'd have to buy a new q-bolt power.

That's how it looked to me.

But there may be another rule somewhere else in there that says something different. It seems kind of artificially limiting that way.

Quote:
But there may be another rule somewhere else in there that says something different.
Far as I know, There isn't.

EDIT: Although I encourage the ST to say otherwise. whistle
Quote:
It seems kind of artificially limiting that way.
I think that's by design. Basically if you want a flexible power then you're stuck with the Elemental Masteries and Anima type powers. Those let you use Area (Storm, Sphere, or whatever) or Direct Damage (Bolt or whatever) as you wish.

Of course the trade off for flexibility is less power.

Originally Posted By: p241 of the Core Rules

Pulling Your Punches
Novas don't have to hit at full force. A nova may subtract any amount she wishes, from damage adds and/or damage dice, before rolling damage. If this reduction takes the nova below half of its normal value, the nova pays only half the normal quantum-point cost of the effect.

The example given is Quantum Bolt. I will rule, based on this, that you may, at your discretion, also reduce the magnitude of the power. See the list of things you can 'max' on p 147, and you may reduce it as well. Titan has spoken. wink

Side note: Courier, I was reliving the old Aberrant: Zero game last night, and I realized that you had a character named Jack 'Multigate' Anderson. I totally stole your guys name, and didn't even know it. Cause I played in that game, as Speed. Heh, sorry guy. blush

It doesn't really reveal too much to say that Pax is not at this time Q6. I built him, for this game, as a 50NP character, but limited him to Q5. He's been very restrained in the use of his powers, and although he has accrued some decent xp in the last 25 years, it's nothing like what he's gonna get in the next 10...

Hey guys, a few quick points about math, distance and quantum energy.

Now, someone swoops down (Titan Omega of course) and grabs Pax, flying like a rocket towards Hawaii, which is a little over 11000 kilometers away (7100 miles or so). It seems he makes this flight in, at most, 30 seconds to a minute. By my calculations, Michael can travel, with Hyper-Flight 1, a little more then 83 meters a minute (not bad if I do say so myself). If Titan Omega can go that far, that fast... man, he'd be burning a trail of superheated, vaporized air behind him like a laser for miles!

That would look pretty damn cool... and I think Michael was left in the quantum dust about 0.001 seconds ago.

Damn! That kid can MOVE!

(Also, my math SUCKS, this oppurtunity to work this out just intrigued me. Please correct me if you see any errors smile )

Issue #1) We're assuming the Japanese girls were in Japan. I haven't read those posts carefully but it's possible you're on a different island and that's an IC error.

Issue #2) "Towards Hawaii" isn't the same as "near Hawaii". Anyone on the planet can walk "towards Hawaii".

Issue #3) It doesn't say you landed in Hawaii. It says "somewhere in the South Pacific".

Issue #4) I gather you have Hyper-Flight 1 (or is that Q-Construct?) But it's also possible you're still in the middle of your eruption event, i.e. that you haven't learned the limits of your power. If Rich can manifest Q8 during his eruption then you can certainly manage a "super speed teleport".

Issue #5) Novas are immune to their own powers and presumably this limits the effects of your "trail".

Issue #1) Good point. He could have been on the mainland, in a location more North. Or perhaps that was just a group of Japenese tourists and he could have been anywhere on Earth. Even London.

Issue #2) Another good point, but wouldn't it have made mosre sense to say "West" or "South-West" if the destination wasn't specified? Again, this could have just been using a more discriptive place-name rather than just a mundane direction.

Issue #3) See above.

Issue #4) Hyper-Flight 1 is correct. Since we all dont have our full 30 Nove Points (as far as I know) it is possible that we still are in our 'eruption', and thus, not subject to the limits of our power.

Issue #5) My trail? Do you mean the vaporization trail Titan Omega would be leaving? I dont think I'd be close enough to him to fly into it. Unless I'm going a lot faster than Titan seemed to suggest I was, I wouldn't have a trail of my own...

Good points Courier.

Titan was in a suburb of Tokyo. He has Hyperflight and also teleport to simulate those bursts of superman like speed. Pax was shooting towards the Pacific anyway, having arced and been blown through the atmosphere from way over in London. Titan intercepted him high above Hawaii and they are currently on a deserted atoll somewhere near the Marshall Islands, not too far from where the US conducted their largest nuclear weapons test in history, Castle Bravo.

bravo_test_s.jpg

Archived