Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - OOC Thread

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Krul/Dauntless. Nice to see a new player around here. I look forward to reading your fics! smile

I did have one comment/critique on your character sheet, though. It's not really a big deal, since we don't generally roll dice around here anyway, but your "Teleport Note" section on Dauntless's teleport power gives some inaccurate information.

Firstly, it looks as though you forgot about the difficulty penalty for blind teleportation. When attempting to 'port to an unfamiliar location that is more than 2km away there is an added +1 difficulty to "hit" the location. When attempting to 'port to an unfamiliar location that is more than 20km away there is a +2 diff, and for anything more than 100km away the diff penalty rises to +3.

So let's say that your character was in California, in the southern end of Los Angeles, and she wanted to teleport up to Santa Barbara (which is a distance of about 200km, plus a little extra), but she had never been to Santa Barbara before. Now, the distance is only a little more than 200km, so typically this would only require 4 successes to reach (3sux gets you 200km, if you need to go further then it'd be 4sux). But since Dauntless has never been there, and since it is over 200km away, there is a +3 difficulty penalty to "hit" the location.

Now, Dauntless has a Quantum rating of 5, which translate to auto-sux when teleporting, naturally, so we can simply subtract that +3 diff from her Q-rating, leaving 2 autosux from Quantum. Dauntless now has a base 'porting distance of 20km to rely on, and will need to roll 2 more successes on her teleport + perception roll in order to reach Santa Barbara successfully and without incident.

At this point it should become apparent that it takes more than 5 successes to reach any point on Earth with teleport - at least so long as those locations remain unfamiliar. When 'porting to most distant locations, Dauntless will be facing that pesky +1-3 diff penalty. For a location that is 2-20km distant she should be just fine, as her Q-rating will trounce all over the diff penalty. For locations 21-100km distant, she'll also be fine, as her Q-rating will continuee to trounce on the diff penalty. For locations that are 101-200km away she'll need a single success. For locations that are 201-2000km away she'll need 2sux. For locations 2001-20,000km away she'll need 3sux, and so on, etc.

Finally, there is the matter of teleporting around the solar system and near space. The successes required for reaching distant areas in this solar system and near space are as follows:

Luna (the Moon): 7sux (total - 10 if you include the +3diff)

Mercury, Venus, Mars, and the Sun: 9sux (12 with +3diff)

The Asteroid Belt, Jupiter, Saturn: 10sux (13 w/diff)

Uranus, Neptune, Pluto:11sux (14 w/diff)

Alpha Centauri: 15sux (18 w/diff) (Note: the Aberrant Players Guide lists this diff as 14sux, but in this case they're wrong. The actual distance between the nearest star (Proxima Centauri) and us is estimated at 39,900,000,000,000km away. 14sux on a 'port roll (not including the +3 diff modifier - so it would actually be 17sux) is 20,000,000,000,000km - which is 19,900,000,000,000 shy of the mark. Not the first time WW has made a mistake, though, so meh.)

So you were right on the money for the number of net successes needed for some spatial distances, but one or two off for others. Just FYI.

Please don't take this as me trying to bash you or your character, because I'm not. There's nothing wrong with your character at all, that I can see, and I'm happy to see someone else signing on to participate around here. I'm just trying to respectfully point out that teleporting is a little more difficult that Dauntless' character sheet was making it out to be (and since I know how some folks can get when it looks to them like someone is abusing their character's powers/abilities, I thought I'd save you a potential smackdown).

It's not like Dauntless can't get to all of those locations, it'll just be a little more difficult than it might at first have seemed is all. And of course, there's always the option of chain-porting! smile

No worries, I sort of was looking at teleport again anyway, and was going to edit it a bit, after I looked at Chosen's warp chart, in the aberrant rules thread, which is indentical for teleportation, but I can't get the code to work in the forum.. not sure what I'm doing wrong with it, yet.

Sense the earth's diameter is 12 756.2 kilometers, she would still be able to teleport anywhere on the earth for 3 successes. Unless one has to follow the earth's curve, sense the circumferance is 40,075.16 kilometers, in which case it would be 4. With 5 regular, but 1 mega-dice to roll(6), I still believe she can get 3-4 successes fairly often, so even with the blind teleport, she can still at least get anywhere on earth.

Added in: Oh, and I forgot about this, technically, if I am willing to roll just five dice, can use the single mega perception die to reduce that difficulty by one, starting from a point of 200 km.

But those are only to places she doesn't know... what I put still applies for locations she knows or has been too.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome.

For the record. Signatures are stuck on a person's posts here automatically if you have that enabled. Elspeth has mega Int 3, she wouldn't have posted to a public forum with her Monkey's quote attached. I have disabled my signature altogether for the time being, but it should not have been there in the Public post and thus Baselines would not known about it. Of course Bastion could have quoted her Sig and thrown it in her face and that's fine, but the baselines wouldn't be aware of what he was quoting from.

Sure Elspeth is super humanly intelligent, but she's also young, and that allows her to make mistakes. I say this, cause Dauntless (Aurora) is prone to makeing similar mistakes, for similar reasons, and she's not superhumanly intelligent, though she does possess genius level human intellect, and she's had less exposure to the real world then Elspeth has, sense she grew more isolated. I agree though, that it is funny.

Because she is a public figure and a queen now and as such she wouldn't want her subjects thinking she feels that way about them. She would probably remove it entirely now.

Think of it like this. As a teen I had all kinds of things on my book covers at school that I would never put on my screen saver at work as an adult. Elspeth is a politician even if she is a young one. She might have thought that statement was cool when she was younger, but now that she's a queen that statement would be pretty damaging to her rule.

That's the IC explanation.

OOC wise, I didn't think anything of it because our sigs are automatic, it is either on every post out there or on none and when we change our avatar or sig it changes across the board updating even in older posts made before the event. So from an OOC perspective pretend it wasn't there in the public post.

Sigs have always been fair game, Ashnod was called out on hers once and she defended it brilliantly. I'm not asking you to do the same, but I'm certainly not about to pretend like it didn't happen and the sig never existed.

I'll not pretend anything. While she may have removed it for the sake of posting publicly (a smart move) there are several novas the world over (some of them in political positions) that have seen her general world view on monkeys and their ability to govern themselves for many months now.

If you OOC list your atts and skills that's different and generall accepted as 'OOC'. Keeping a quote there has, at least since I've been around for the past 4 years is considered 'IC'.

I suppose individuals moderating their particular forums could rule otherwise, no such thing has been stated in MCoH.

Like I said, Bastion is perfectly IC and welcome to do what he did. I've got no problem with that.

It really doesn't make much difference. I'm sure Utopia would throw her sig in her face and use it as propaganda against her. Now that she's been called out on it, the sig it is gone. The only thing I'm asking here is that the character (not the player) be given the benefit of the doubt. Sure everyone can make mistakes, but she has Mega Int and Wits at 3. She, the character, would not be likely to have made the mistake that I, the player, just made in not taking the sig off.

What I'm trying to explain is that I didn't think it was an issue and didn't even think about it until Dave brought it up as Bastion. Sigs are there automatically and had I the player thought of it I would have put a disclaimer at the end of the post saying the sig was not displayed in a public forum. Anyway, I'll actually use the sig thing in an upcoming story now that you've made me think of it.

*Reads the above debate, looks down at his sig*

Huh, I had no idea these things were taken ICly. Guess I'll need to remove Tannin's as well, since it's just a quote about dragons that I thought was humorous and is in no way supposed to reflect something that the character would say.

I guess I learned something new today.

*Goes to remove the sig from Tannin's profile*

Heh, the whole debate is moot to me since I sometimes use my cell phone to check the site I've got all sigs turned off so I don't waste bandwidth/money downloading them all. So the only time I see anyone's Sig is if they send me a PM wink

I tend to take signatures as IC (for purposes of OpNet and similar posts) because forums and forum-goers really do have sigs. Unless it's blatantly OOC (like statistics) I always assume it's in-character.

That being said, the only reason I asked about Elspeth's signature removal is that it's genuinely funny to me. You've got this hardcore Terat, raised by Terats, with the idea that baselines are (basically) second-class citizens. (You don't give a lot of freedoms to children and pets, after all, and that's really how baseline humans are generally perceived by the forum novas, apparently.) Oh, but don't let the baselines find out what she really thinks! She might not get to be Empress anymore. Ha! laugh It seems like either she lacks the courage of her conviction, or she's just as shady, selfish, and manipulative as the "bad guys," and I'm not sure if that's completely unintentional on the part of the player, or very well-played.

Viv, that's actually not at all how I see Elspeth. It's more of a Noblesse Oblige thing. Her parents taught her that because of their gifts and being part of the One Race, they have a duty to those below them. She is a terat but she honestly cares what happens to her people. And make no mistake, she definitely views them as hers. Not in an ownership sense, but like any good medieval monarch she feels responsible for them.

Don't forget, not all terats view baselines as enemies or animals. And yes her sig was about monkeys, but like Tanin, that sig was there more because I thought it was a funny quote than because Elspeth did. But being busted, hey I'll roll with it. It will make a good story about how she used to have this horrible quote as her sig. The utopians will eat that up and turn it into a propaganda campaign against her. Good stuff.

But think of it more this way. As a teen I used to draw anarchy symbols on my notebooks and stuff (back in the day before internet sigs). I don't draw those any more because I don't believe in anarchy, I never did in fact, but it was a cool thing to have on my books back then, all of my peers did similar drawings. Same thing with Elspeth. She was angry with the world after her parents were murdered by Jarutu in his military coup. She might have used that sig because it was 'cool' and partly because she had some serious anger issues there for a while against the baselines that took her parents from her, but now she's expected to be all grown up and it was time to remove the childish quote from her sig.

Of course it will be fun writing the story about how Utopia pokes at her because of it. smile

Okay I just read Wkainyan's character sheet and I've noticed that the math is off on a couple of things. First off, Bruised health levels cost 1 NP for every extra level. You have 10 but only payed for 5. Also, you bought Armor 1 for 2 NP but it's not tainted and should cost 3 NP per dot.

By my calculations Wakinyan is 6 NP over his starting 90 points.

Also according to the rules, Waki is already at 10 Taint. You get 2 Taint for having a Quantum of 6 and took 8 more points of Taint for cost breaks. This should mean that Wakinyan can no longer be a player character.

How did this get past approval?

Node 4 = 2 taint

Quantum 5 (Tainted) = 2 Taint

Wings (Tainted) = 1 Taint

Weather Manip (Tainted x2) = 2 Taint

Claws (Beak), AP, Perm? (Tainted x2) = 2 Taint

Stun Attack (Tainted) = 1 Taint

Strobe (Tainted) = 1 Taint

Total = 11 Taint !?

And what's this about AP Perm Claws? Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with how you'd get that.

Jess, if it was anything I said I am truly sorry. I was not trying to attack you or you abilities as a moderator. If my tone came off as offensive or confrontational towards you I truly appologize, as that was not my intent.

Originally Posted By: Ptesan-Wi
No we on this one. I'm obviously not up to the task. I resign as moderator, effective immediately.

Bullshit.

Characters are to be reviewed by the moderator staff last I checked, Bastion had to be submitted for review, as did several others. You (the moderators) allowed him into this game. You the moderators were responsible for going over that sheet. YOU still have a job to do until this situation is resolved.

Now, because the road got a little bumpy, you're going to bail and leave this shit for the others to clean up? Hell no, fuck that. Get your ass in there and work with the other moderators to resolve this issue. Leaving this mess for others is a dick move. If you wanna quit once it's all over, go for it, but don't just up and leave this, that's bullshit.

I expect more from my moderators. You're here to stand beside the players and work with us to make these gaming environments fun, not bail out and leave shit all over the wall for everyone else to clean up. If this is what we have to look forward to in the future I can't say I'm impressed or at all pleased.

As I'm pretty sure some folks have figured out by now, last night's post isn't my usual modus operandi. It is in fact pretty much as far from "characteristic" as a post from me can be. There was what I guess could be called a perfect storm of events last night, of which this thread and indeed RPG-Post.com were only a very tiny part, and it resulted in a certain amount of ugliness thrust out on quite a few vectors. I of course am going nowhere, and the matter of Wakinyan's sheet will be addressed and fixed somewhere in the mix of things that need to be addressed and fixed today (the list is long).

My apologies for last night's outburst.

- Jess

Under further consideration, fix on Wakinyan might not happen today, on grounds that screaming at the top of my lungs and shoving flaming brands into my monitor would be bad on both my vocal chords and budget. Will happen in the reasonably near future, for sufficiently broad definitions of "reasonably" and "near".

Originally Posted By: MCoH Orientatino
Character sheets must be posted in the Characters board in a separate thread for each character.

I'm glad it's resolved, I hope we don't see posting from this PC until the above stipulation has been satisfied. What we've seen is not a 'sheet' it's a creation log.

Permanent Claws (Beak) would require a 1 point weakness somewhere else within the claws (beak) power. No such weakness is listed. Claws (Beak) + AP = a Level 2 power, not Level 3. 'Permanent' is not an extra, it's either an abberation or a strength.

Claws (Beak) appears inaccurate.

Also, there is nothing on his sheet that grants him the ability to change his shape into a griffon. For that reason 'Griffon' should be a major abberation. If not then he's just regular looking guy with wings, claws, a permanent beak, and glowing eyes.

But hey, we all know eventually he's going to buy chimeric aberration so he can rid himself of all his woes...

Dave: custom requests are possible here. In this case, a custom request to extend the duration on Claws made sense, for the simple reason that having the beak disappear half the time was silly as all hell. Both moderators signed off on this one.

As for the rest: knock it off. You aren't a moderator here for MCoH, and you don't know what will and will not be approved for this character. But I'll give you a hint: Chimeric Aberration isn't getting the nod on this one.

Either way, I don't care. Waki doesn't exist in my books.

I'm not to pleased with the fact that 'both mods signed off on it' despite that Waki didn't even make his own character, the moderators did... so basically he's been given whatever you guys want him to have and since your the mods there's really nothing anyone can say about it.

Kinda shitty, but like I said, Waki don't exist, hell he didn't even make his own PC so screw him.

Archived