Star Wars: The Sith War - SWU Q&A Thread

Sen. Cruith'ne

All general character creation and play inquiries will be fielded here. As this thread grows, anything relevant that we Mods feel should be added to the FAQ will be integrated into this first post.

Character creation rules and guides will be posted shortly, as well as expanded world and history information.

Q: Who are the Mods and what Factions are their respective AORs?

The Mods are:

Senator Cruith'ne, the top of the food chain for all non-Force users, Light and Dark side, will be played by Seph.

Grand Master Tel'Amo, the top of the food chain for all Light side Force users, will be played by Dave.

Dark Lord of the Sith Tessara, the top of the food chain for all Dark side Force users, will be played by Wargear's player.

Addition 15 May 2008:

Q: What do the various subforums represent?

For the purpose of clarity, the purpose of the subforums to this game are as follows:

ExchangeNet: A text-only BBS set up by the Exchange, a semi-legitimate criminal syndicate that spans Galactic Space. Largely used as a sort of classified ads for various shady dealings, the ExchangeNet has also recently been popularized as a means of spreading news and gossip. Posting on the ExchangeNet is only possible from industrialized worlds or from ships that have been properly equipped.

Fiction: Post Fiction stories here.

Rogues' Gallery: For character profiles. Posting character sheets is not required, though all characters must have a Moderator-approved writeup posted before they may post Fiction or on the ExchangeNet.

GM Arena: This OOC board is specifically for any player who wishes to solicit to run an adventure within the established SWU forum.

Addition 13 May 2008:

Q: How are starting languages being handled?

In absentia of any rule I can find detailing the matter, it will be assumed that languages taken at character creation will default to read/write/speak. It's specified that all characters know how to read/write/speak Galactic Basic as well as their Racial languages, and doesn't point out any difference between those and the languages you select at character creation.

Addition 23 May 2008:

Q: What is the starting year of the game?

1882 BBY.

Once the board goes officially live and you see those names listed as Mods under the forum heading, you may consider those Mods officially active. Questions regarding characters should be posted here unless the question is a matter of secrecy for your character. Once characters are completed, PM them to the relevant Moderator for approval.

Character Creation Question.

I've seen languages handled one of two ways, since D20 requires you to choose whether you speak or read/write it.

1) At creation, the languages you select include the ability to speak, read, and write them (where applicable). For example, if you've five languages available at creation (Racial Languages + Int Bonus), your character could know Basic, Devaronese, Gran, Huttese, and Ortolan, and would be able to utilize them in conversation or in text.

2) At creation, the languages you select must be categorized as Speak or Read/Write. For example, if you've the same allotment of five languages available, your character might speak and read/write Basic (2 languages), speak Devaronese (1 language), speak Huttese (1 language), and read/write Ortolan (1 language).

Which method will we be using at creation, if either? (It should be noted that in both of the methods described above, subsequent languages learned have been purchased via skill points invested in Speak Language or Read/Write Language.)

Also: To finish my character, I have to ask... What do we get for starting money? I remember mention being made of a larger amount due to experience.

There are several "Universal House Rules" i.e. 'errata' that are not found in the Core Book but are located in the various Jedi Counseling articles. While it says several times "consider this errata" there was never really an errata published that covered all those topics.

As an example, the 'Quickness' Feat was universally changed to provide +1 VP/lvl instead of just +3VP, making it a bit more worth a feat slot. Changing it to function like the 3.5 feat 'Improved Toughness'. Will you open an ear for consideration of these things or are you going strictly by the book?

The reason I ask is simply because I can comprise a list for us to review before everyone gets to far into character creation.

Quote:
All starting characters will receive 125% of the starting credits as detailed in the Core Rules. Scoundrels start play with 150% of their level’s value, and characters with levels in Noble start with 200%. Level 3 characters will begin with a base of 5000 credits, Scoundrels with 6000 credits, and Nobles with 8000 credits.

From the character creation thread.

Languages are generally(read: unless something is house-ruled) handled like so:

Basic, Racial Language... +(intelligence bonus) additional languages. + 1 language per skill point put into Read/Write Language.

Example: Brad is Human, 14 Intel, no ranks in R/W Language. Speaks Basic, Hutt, and Wookiee(and is in the process of locating an interpreter for the rest of them)

I have a question about Synergy. Do we need to approve Synergy bonuses with the Mods, or can we assume they exist for purposes of knowing how good we are for writing stuff? Rolls will, I assume, become involved when you use Profession to make money, and in that situation, I assume the mods would make the call regarding synergy.

When a character has 5 or more ranks in a skill that automatically grants them a +2 Synergy Bonus on their Profession skill check to earn credits.

Example: If Hana 6 ranks in repair, and Profession (Technician) she would get a +2 synergy bonus to her Profession check. It shows that she has the skill to back up her craftsmanship and people are willing to pay a her little bit more.

The reverse is also true, if Hana has 6 ranks in Profession (Technician) she also gains a +2 Synergy bonus to her Repair skill rolls. "I do do this for a living you know..."

I hope that answers your question.

Originally Posted By: DirtyRottenScoundrel
Are you sure about that? Because my synergy profession --> Gambling got shot down by Seph

I'm not trying to start a debate, or an argument, but I have learned that Seph takes issue with min-maxing. Your character seems to be a very specific, very narrowly focused build capable of generating credits quickly. This is just my perception, mind you, based on discussions in chat, but I can understand why a moderator would be reluctant to encourage bonuses under such circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Grand Master Tel'Amo
When a character has 5 or more ranks in a skill that automatically grants them a +2 Synergy Bonus on their Profession skill check to earn credits.

Are you sure about that? Because my synergy profession --> Gambling got shot down by Seph

No, actually, I shot down your +2 Synergy bonus for Gambling for having 5+ ranks of Profession; Gambler, not the other way around. You want to make Profession; Gambler checks and use your Synergy bonus, that's kosher. So long as you understand that Profession; Gambling is different from the Gambling Skill in the sense that when you do it as your job, you do so as an employee, and while rolling well on Profession; Gambler might net you a tidy bonus for cleaning out the marks, it doesn't earn you more winnings. Those belong to the House.

Originally Posted By: Sen. Cruith'ne

No, actually, I shot down your +2 Synergy bonus for Gambling for having 5+ ranks of Profession; Gambler, not the other way around.

Originally Posted By: Grand Master Tel'Amo

The reverse is also true, if Hana has 6 ranks in Profession (Technician) she also gains a +2 Synergy bonus to her Repair skill rolls. "I do do this for a living you know..."

Like I said. Is there a house rule on this? Does it work one way and not the other?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I was wondering if you were still accpeting new players into your game? I was chatting with Cosmic_Comet and I am interested in perhaps playing a sith owned Droid. A translator for the Wookie... perhaps with a few after-market modifications.

Please, let me know what you think about these broad strokes!

So, levels? How is xp being handled? Does actual posting activity have anything to do with it or is it basically a flat amount for every character regardless of what they've done during their time?

If I remember right, the idea was that assuming a May start, the characters would hit lvl 7(and thus open the door for a second character) around mid August. Is this still accurate? Since that would make sense (1 lvl / month give or take)

May = Lvl 4

June = Lvl 5

July = Lvl 6

August = Lvl 7

Of course that assumes just enough xp to gain a level at the end/midpoint, whichever part of the month, and also effectively ensures that there is no way for the secondary chars(which will start at lvl 3 while the primary's are at lvl 7) will never catch up.

In much that same vein, how are new characters being handled?

I know it doesn't matter much now, since everyone's lvl 3, but it's something to think about for later, when we're not.

Let's say Brad gets up to lvl 17 and then Karma finally comes after him and squishes him. Is the character that I make to replace him(because a single character death is not going to keep me from playing this game) going to be lvl 3? Lvl 17? Or somewhere in the middle?

Originally Posted By: Michael Peters
I'm making a Scoundrel droid... who's primary function at the time of his creation was translation.

Have you considered having a 'Translator Unit' installed on the Droid? It costs 1,000 credits for the best model. Everytime the droid hears a language for the first time it may make an Intelligence Check DC 30-5 (depending on model purchased, the 1,000 credit unit is DC 5). Once the droid has successfully translated the language it may speak it normally (some ST add the language to the droids languages, others permit the droid to speak it only until the droid breaks off contact and must roll again the next time the language is encountered. I'm not sure how it's done here.)

Translator Unit
DC 30 50cr
DC 25 150cr
DC 20 300cr
DC 15 500cr
DC 10 750cr
DC 5 1,000cr

May the Force serve you well.

My question is how only being 2nd level slipped past character approval.

1. Who says it slipped past?

2. Since when is that your concern? You're neither Lily nor a mod. Let the involved parties handle it, instead of trying to make snide comments in the Q&A thread.

Originally Posted By: Tala

1. Who says it slipped past?

Nobody, but the alternative is that an obvious disadvantage to the character was put to the mod and was completely ignored and/or not called out to the player. It's actually better if it's a slip as opposed to an intentional ignoring of the fact. Since it apparently wasn't Lily's intention to start at a disadvantage.
Originally Posted By: Tala

2. Since when is that your concern? You're neither Lily nor a mod. Let the involved parties handle it, instead of trying to make snide comments in the Q&A thread.

I'm sorry, I didn't know this was a moderators only thread. Hey, wait a minute... ((btw, this last line was my first "snide comment" on this thread. The question about 'slipping' was a serious question))

I'm not playing your edit game, Hyo. As far as I'm concerned, this situation (and any other) is between the mods and the players involved. Which means, of course, it's got nothing to do with you or anyone else. The simple fact is, you really can't do anything about it, so playing at calling out mods in public (yes, I pluralized that intentionally) only paints you as an instigator, a pot-stirrer, and a would-be martyr. If you're content with that perception, by all means, continue. If you're not, that particular matter lies entirely within your own hands.

Either way, I'm ending this discussion, for my part. This thread is for legitimate questions and answers, not conversations between individuals.

Indeed, I call things the way I see them. I will admit that what is there now is not the one I posted originally. My original comment served no purpose except to inflame. The one there now is what happens when I actually stop and think. But if, in the future, as this is the end of this line of thought, you would all like me to turn my censors off, so be it.

Archived