Prologue: A Gathering Of Hunters

Hyoseph

"I'm not sure I could care less about how the Carthians fare. I just figure that I'd get a kick out of seeing the Prince's reaction to another screwball outburst like earlier from him. Oh well." Antoine certainly sounded bored but there was something underlying in his voice. Ashe knew the tone, something had piqued Antoine's interest this evening, the question now was who or what.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Don't forget that the Prince is Carthian, too.", Ashe looked at Antoine trying to pinpoint his interest. A sudden spike of jealousy made her stomach spin and her body tensed as her mind raced through the possible reasons, most likely another woman.

"You're not really here with me, Antoine. I can tell by your voice that something is bothering you."

Her hands slid slowly up his shirt tracing his muscles underneath while her eyes remained focused on his face.

Adrian twitched slightly. The words of the two lovers were coming across to him loud and clear, which could only mean ...

What would the Powers-that-Be think of their whispered conversation? Could Sam here them, and if he did, what how would he respond? Did Sam even understand them?

And the Prince and the Gangrel were both Carthians. How would they take to plotting so openly about Sam?

Adrian decided he was really learning to hate these kind of affairs. Better a quiet meeting in an Elysium between two or three Kindred. He was left hoping that someone else would step up and drowned out his own proclaimation soon enough. Maybe he would be forgotten in a mess of better offers of assistance.

Great, now the kid is giving us a weird look. I should have just gotten some take out and let Ashe have the leftovers when she got back. Too much back stabbing and hidden motives. Antoine looked over at Adrian and nodded knowingly. Let him chew on that!

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
"You're not really here with me, Antoine. I can tell by your voice that something is bothering you."

Her hands slid slowly up his shirt tracing his muscles underneath while her eyes remained focused on his face.

"Eh? What? Oh umm, nothing important." Antoine pauses as Ashe delicate hands run over his chest, "Carefull little girl, the big black brute may get the wrong idea." Antoine smiled slightly and half closed his eyes, "Then again he may get the right idea ..."

Originally Posted By: Antoine LaSalle

"Eh? What? Oh umm, nothing important." Antoine pauses as Ashe delicate hands run over his chest, "Carefull little girl, the big black brute may get the wrong idea." Antoine smiled slightly and half closed his eyes, "Then again he may get the right idea ..."

Ashe licked her teeth in response lingering with her tongue on her elongating canines giving her face a predatory smile. Her eyes spoke for themselves and she had to forcefully will her beast back and not give away to the urge to take a good draught of Antoine's sweet vitae.

"I'm going to let you suffer for not telling me, stupid black man.", Ashes voice would've sounded playfully if there wasn't a predatory growl underlying it. Antoine knew it was her way to tease him, he had gotten used to that over the last years. Still sometimes there was a hint of doubt, a hint of 'what-if' she would go too far.

Those who are not involved in Joani / Antoine's conversation will notice a look of just pure irritation on the Prince's face, the most perceptive of you would notice a glance at Nathis and all of a sudden, things happen exceedingly quickly. You're not entirely sure how it happens, but suddenly there is a bullet whizzing through that little space between their faces. Not actually hitting either of them but the angle is just impossible given where everyone is standing.

((those with auspex and eyes forward would notice Nathis leaving his seat, and with supernatural speed, stepping off to the side a few paces, withdrawing and firing what looks like a silenced light pistol, and taking steps back to his seat though he does not sit))

"Hey! Shut the hell up! This is court, not fucking gossip and grope hour."

Nathis put the weapon away, walking towards them and leaning in, getting very close to Antoine's face though his presence was a whole different feeling than Ashe's. He stared at him very menacingly, in the way only the Gangrel can, his voice lowering to the point where people could hear it, but his tone was far from the outgoing and jovial one that he had when addressing the gather the first time.

"By the way, you little shit. I happen to care a great deal how the Carthians fare, so does the Prince over there. Yeah, Sam's got some serious fucking issues, he's a nut. But he's our nut, and if I ever hear you openly plotting against one of my Carthians again, I will make fucking certain that you are never seen or heard from again. Are we clear on that?"

Nathis stood smiled a predator's smile, and slapped him on the shoulder, much like Sam had done to him earlier in the hallway. "Good! I'm glad we understand each other " He stood up straight and made his way back to his chair, dropping into it and cocking a thumb back towards Antoine as he looked at the prince, smiling as friendly as he could be. "I think Mr. LaSalle over there wants to volunteer for this operation. I'm ok with it if you are, my Prince" As he spoke, he withdrew a stake from his jacket and placed it on the arm of the chair next to him. "And I don't think there's going to be any more inappropriate little side chats going on, at least until Court is adjourned."

Rosita just smiled and nodded. "Thank you, William. Are there any other volunteers?"

As the Gangrel got into Antoine's face he held a steady freindly smile. Internally he was holding onto his beast with both hands. His wanted to pump some blood into his muscles and just drop an uppercut into the fuckers face but even if he managed to connect the end result would be he and Ashe versus a handfull of other vamps, most of whom were much more powerfull. He recalled his training and strangeled the beast silent with an act of will. The Coils were useful and it was times like this than Antoine was glad to have finally found something worth working toward.

All of this happened in the breifest split seconds before he could really think about what was happening. To say he was suprised by the hostile reaction to his statements was an understatement. Me? Plotting? Yeah, that'll be the day. He tightens his hold on Ashe however, just in case she gets any funny ideas.

Originally Posted By: Hyoseph

Rosita just smiled and nodded. "Thank you, William. Are there any other volunteers?"

Antoine shakes his head and says with a smirk, "Yeah I suppose I will. I'd hate to be left out or volenteered by somebody else."

Antione looked over at Adrian and nodded knowingly.

What the hell was that about, Adrian thought. His eyes flickered from the Prince and her souring demeanor and the Ashe/Antione combo, not sure were the trouble would come from first.

He should have saved himself the bother. The trouble came from the Gangrel, Nathis. The silenced shot didn't make him jump out of his chair the way a gunshot would have, but Adrian's head swung around at the metal-on-metal sound. Then the Gangrel stormed past him and Adrian was sure there would be a fight.

First came the Lean-in, then the words, and then the slap on the shoulders - a Bully's apology if there ever was one. Antione's beast didn't rise to the challenge, nor did he run. Adrian was pretty sure he would have been running by then.

Sure enough, the Gangrel wasn't finished yet. He volunteered Antione for whatever the Prince was wanting them to do, which was typical of the breed - bullies that is. Adrian didn't know enough Gangrel to form an opinion yet.

Oh great. Now he's pulled a stake out.

Adrian tried hard to make his eyes stay focussed on the Prince. Looking away seemed unwise, so unwise right now.

Antione gave his plucky rebuttle, but Adrian doubted it did anyone much good. In his experience, guns and violence spoke louder than words. Right now, the Leaders weren't having much in the way of real discussion - no surprise, and they weren't going to be interrupted.

Pure hatred flashed in Ashe's eyes and if it wasn't for Antoine she would've easily jumped up and attacked. Her beast was about to unleash which distorted her beautiful face to a grim visage of furious anger. Somewhere a faint voice in the back of her mind urged her to calm down and let the powers to be have their way.

It cost her an inhuman effort of willpower to restrain herself and defeated by this act of extreme composure Ashe collapsed on Antoine's lap losing all tension in her body.

(ooc: spent one willpower to ward off frenzy and another one to calm down)

My god, they...we...really ARE beasts... Angelina thinks, staring in dawning horror at the spectacle. What was she getting herself into? Whatever the 'Prince' wanted, she didn't think she wanted any part in it. She had a decent 'life' going on...and it was abundantly plain that mixing it up with these 'Kindred' would only tangle her with creatures too bloodthirsty or mad to be trusted.

Robin, who had let herself fade into the background, watched the neonates getting their first taste of Kindred politics; and apparently the quick and deadly nature of Beastial anger as well. When Antoine's amorous conversation with his bloodthirsty paramour pulled the ire of the Carthian Priscus however, she found herself making quick, though not quick enough, strides towards the trouble spot. She arrived just as Nathis was returning to his seat and placed a hand on the back of Antoine's seat. He movements among the others before had been all pomp and courtier, but this swift stride across the rows of seating was all the trained grace of a honed soldier.

She looked about to say something to Antoine as she hovered over him and the tempestuous Hound, then addressed the Prince instead, "My Prince, if I may speak?"

After being granted permission she introduced herself as formally as she had been instructing the others early, also adding that she was of House du Nuit Estel. "Although I am newly awakened here, I am experienced in the ways of Kindred society and survival. As it seems that those who will aid you in this mysterious matter are apt to be primarily young neonates, then I offer my services as an Au Pair of the Invictus to watch over them and assist then in realizing their own potential as Kindred and as members of your city." There was little mistaking that her stance near the two was protective and her offer sincere.

Galiana watched the show with amusement glimmering in her eyes. The antics of the younger Kindred could be amusing. That wasn't to say that Galiana didn't understand. There had been a time when she had been as passionate and as violent as they. The only difference was she now understood that passions must be directed before they destroyed their possessor, or the possessor's dreams.

However, the wily old Gangrel knew an opportunity when she saw it. The Lance's standing in the city was not as good as it could have been, and this was a chance to show the city what the covenant could do. Galiana rose to her feet. "Galiana. Lancea Sanctum. And at the service of the Prince and the City."

Those words had hurt, to be at the service of a Carthian Prince. But she smiled and said it.

::The Doors creek open as a cloaked and covered individual walks in from the rain. It is hard to distinguish who it is at first in the dim light but as he speaks, his low voice denotes it as Erik.::

"Sorry for the tardiness." he says as he takes a seat in the corner near the door, throwing the hood to his cloak back.

Antoine grimaced as Robin spoke, What the hell is she up to? What's with the damn feeling when she comes near? Damned vampires. This is what you get when you evesdrop and use what you hear to play connect the dots ... a muddled mess because you didn't take into account the numbers by those dots.

Antoine keeps his damn trap shut though, saying nothing except a few whispered words of comfort to Ashe as he cradles her within his arms. They had both learned to shot down their beasts from teh Ordo, but the act required great will and Ashe would surely be drained now. Still, better to control the beast than let it control you. Perhaps if more of them understood these meetings would need not be so ... dangerous.

Antoine waited to see the Prince's reaction to Robin's words, What are you playing at woman?

Both Galiana and Robin spoke in quick succession. For whatever shit-job the Prince had coming for them, Adrian was glad to have the Gangrel Priest along. Robin's actions were more puzzling. Why put herself out and risk whatever for Antione ... and Ashe? What was her game and did it affect him at all?

Someone came in and was 'tardy'. It took Adrian a moment to realize what tardiness meant. As it was, it twitched only slightly, fighting the desire to turn around and see who the newcomer was. All he could do was hope they were not too close to his back and not blocking an escape route he, or his beast, might find handy.

As he ran his hands along the arms of the seat, he became concious of Angie sitting so close to him. He was also suddenly aware that she hadn't volunteered. Was she the last one not to? A small part of him wanted to lean forward and urge he to step forward ... before something bad happened.

"You need to volunteer now," he whispered in his quietest voice to Angie. He was immediately surprised he had done it.

Rabbi Berg stands up slowly. "Excuse me, my prince. I would volunteer for this task, but I would like to qualify that. I am not a combatant. I am a scholar. If the task you have for us is scholarly in nature, I would be glad to help you. If not, please take my offer of help as an offer of support. I will not fight if I can choose not to."

The rabbi smiles weakly and sits down, sighing. That went well...

Angie gives Adrian a confused frown and opens her mouth to tell him that she had no intention of volunteering, and ask him why he'd said that. But she doesn't want the guy with the stake to get mad, so she bites off what she was going to say and just nods for now. She'd ask him about it later, when the tension had lifted.

Erik stays quiet in the back watching everyone a moment, his eyes lingering on Adrian and Angie momentarily and passing over the Rabbi completely. Erik smirks as he sees Nathis holding a stake, wondering who the one that made him angry was.

He mumbles to himself. (If you are actively listening to him with auspex you hear: "Well, this is looking like its going to be an interesting night.")

She's about to say something to him, which is scary. That could invite a beat-down, or worse, a staking. Angie keeps quiet though. This is good and bad. Can't she see they expect her to step forward, because that is how they want this farcical game to be played? If you don't play their game, they get angry, and when they get angry, some poor shulb, like him, or her, gets beat on.

Oh, it may not be a physical beating. They have other games they play. They could mess with your feeding until you frenzy and go nuts. Then you are a bad Vamp ... Kindred and they can punish you while feeling all smug and superior. Adrian imagines they can do even worse things too.

Angie doesn't budge. Adrian slumps down defeated and confused, still unsure why he even risked drawing attention to himself by whispering to her. He misses his sire and understands why he constantly told Adrian to "Shut up. Say NOTHING!" while around other vamp ... kindred. Adrian misses being told what was what and what was going on. Having to figure it out for himself is an agonizing journey filled with ... yeah, his old buddies, Confusion and Fear.

They mingle like gods. The valiant knight, gleaming armor surrounding her as befits such a hero. The compact dark man in the corner, so quiet but poised and at the ready. The scholar of the cloth, surely a vast repository of wisdom and knowledge. The beast-woman, her skin fairly rippling with the potential beneath it. Yes, these heroes, these gods, these truly were his peers; surely they would come together in a band to bring a light of hope into the despairing darkness of the city...

"Are there any other volunteers?"

The voice broke Sam from his reverie, and joy swelled within his mighty chest, the idle heart surging once more to full, beating life as vitality surged throughout him and brought the gleam of life to his eyes.

"Ah, that is the call for a hero, my friend, and I'll be proud to step forward and lend my fists to the cause!" With pure glee, he shouted out his rallying cry: "Tally ho!"

Originally Posted By: Sam 'The Crusader' Hill
With pure glee, he shouted out his rallying cry: "Tally ho!"

Antoine struggles to suppress an outburst of laughter, his body trembling from the effort as he suppresses it down to a choked off chuckle. Seriously, how could anybody take him seriously enough to even want to kill him. Pure comedic gold. Struggling to maintain his composure he raises a hand to cover his mouth, hiding the grin he cannot help but show.

When Crazy spoke, he didn't do it in half-measures. Crazy was so new an experience to Adrian that his "Tally Ho!" still gave him a start. Still, that exuberance couldn't quite lift Adrian's spirits. The young kindred was too much assured that this was a Bad Thing, not something to taken with a smile, even as it couldn't be avoided.

Even the Prince had a small amused smile on her face as Sam said his piece. She nodded contently as the last of the group spoke up. "Excellent, it lightens my heart to see such enthusiasm being brought to service to the domain. Make a note, Madame Lajoie, if this one is as efficient as he is enthusiastic we should have no trouble." She looked over at Pietro and they exchanged nods. "The group of you are to speak to Sir Schiavone after court is adjourned, he has the details of this task. I will now open the floor for any who wish to speak in a completely free forum without fear of reprisal."

She'd had a long time to master hercontrol, or perhaps, some would say, to become old enough that her passions were empty now. Still, she was good at what she did, one of which was listen and obey instructions Galiana made note of Sir Schiavone, as well as her orders. But the Prince's open invitation to speak almost broke her reserve. A prince, allowing people to speak in Court without having to mind their words? Such stupidity. Such weakness.

Such a terrible Prince.

Without fear of reprisal, eh? Okay, I'll bite. Heh...because...right. Glad I didn't say that out loud.

Angie stands up and asks, "What kind of service are you asking us to agree to? I mean...okay, I'm going to just lay this out. I'm new to this. I'm still testing the waters. I didn't want to commit to something I had no information about, but if you were to give me some kind of idea about what you want..." She shrugs. "So, uh, that's what I wanted to say. Thanks."

She sits back down again. Then stands back up. "Oh, my name's Angelina. Hi everyone." Then sits back down.

Forget blending in with shadows and moving too fast to see...the best vampire power is that no one can see you blush.

He didn't believe her words for a minute. By her, he meant the Prince of course. Angie then stood up and began talking. That was courageous, intelligent, and stupid all at the same time. He admired her even while he was appalled at her reckless behavior.

Eyes flickered nervously over the gathered, waiting to see how the Prince will respond and knowing that somehow the other Beastly Gangrel would turn it to her advantage. Would Angie ... Angelina become her next target of opportunity? Adrian hoped not. There was something not unpleasant about his fellow Mekhet. While he knew that trusting was probably beyond him, he would like the opportunity to get to know her ... if the Bully didn't stake her, or the Beastly didn't cut her to ribbons first.

Originally Posted By: Lily

Angie stands up and asks, "What kind of service are you asking us to agree to? I mean...okay, I'm going to just lay this out. I'm new to this. I'm still testing the waters. I didn't want to commit to something I had no information about, but if you were to give me some kind of idea about what you want..." She shrugs. "So, uh, that's what I wanted to say. Thanks."

She sits back down again. Then stands back up. "Oh, my name's Angelina. Hi everyone." Then sits back down.

The Prince looks her over as she speaks and nods briefly. "Sir Schiavone, would you like to answer that one?"

The Daeva nodded and looked directly at Angie for a few moments of speaking before seeming to address the group. "We have recently had difficulties contacting an esteemed member of our domain. Normally this is a simple small matter but the timing is conspicuous at the least. The primary requirement is to discover the whereabouts of this individual. Our investigations have shown that the individual is not in torpor but does not respond to our calls. Face to face contact or at the least visual confirmation is what will be required."

The Prince smiled at the Daeva. "Thank you, Sir Schiavone. Perhaps this new information will bring Angelina to lend her assistance. Who else would like to speak? Sir D'Alsace, you wanted to speak?"

Robin inclined her head politely at the Prince's acknowledgment. "I simply offer again my services as an Au Pair, most especially if you would have these neonates dealing with an elder member of your city."

She seemed to have relaxed somewhat as the situation was, briefly, explained. More information was needed, such as the affiliation and family of this elder, but for now it was simply politics as usual. The mortal world might spin and flicker in mere moments of time to something alien and unrecognizable, but politics, most especially Kindred politics, would always remain the same.

That was enough of an excuse for Adrian. While Sir Robin spoke, Adrian pulled out his notepad once more and, after flipping through some pages, began to write once more - though quietly. He was slouching in his seat as he did this and his shoulders were hunched in as well.

While his demeanor may have been that of a frightened man, his eyes were intense and his writing rapid, with a fluid, artistic grace.

Missing Person Kindred

-How long missing?

-Who knew him/her?

-Should we split up? Teams?

Erik speaks, slowly and deliberately from the back shadowed corner. His voice is almost hypnotic and has a certain rhythm to it that makes pierces the silence. He speaks with a feint Scandanavian accent, obviously eroded from his time spent in America.

"If we knew where he was last known to reside or been seen, I could poke around there and see what I can come up with. I know of a few observant contacts in this area...."

Erik's eyes dart around the room at the other kindred, carefully noting their positions and reactions. His features show the obvious wears of time on the kindred soul. Erik has obviously lost some grip on his Humanity over the years he has been awake.

"If I find any information, I could look into perhaps some divination methods. I know of a few that are usually pretty reliable. Even better if we had something of importance to them."

Adrian took a quick peak over his shoulder as Erik spoke. His hand flew over the page even as he looked. When he turned back around, he made some final notations.

What did this mean for the group, he thought. Would this one solve the case before any of us became involved? Or, was this guy talking up his game, but really not going to be able to deliver? Would that hurt our chances?

Adrian was left worrying about the latest problem to appear on his horizon, yet he could do nothing about it, or could he? If only he had the courage.

Still wincing from the self control she exerted Ashe slowly shifted her position from Antoines lap to her own seat. Hatred was still written across her face but she slowly managed to relax and fight the primal urges down to tear everything apart around her. Through the haze of her clouded mind Ashe faintly heard voices speaking amongst which she recognised Antoine's. Looking at him she saw his anger in his eyes directed at Sir Robin. Instantly she tensed up again feeling her beast itching underneath her skin her nails buried deep into the seats velvet covering.

Robin leaned over, pitching her voice so only the two Kindred below her could hear, "Were that true you would not be so openly hostile, Mssr LeSalle. Elders do not waste their anger on mere words nor ignore the usefulness of those that offer their assistance, no matter the reason." Her tone had changed from an earnestly helpful and mostly respectful member of the Invictus to the the sharp barbs of a Daeva retort. She watched the two near her in a state of easy readiness. "You speak too quickly, to rashly, and too emotionally. That is something your sire should have instructed you on.

Eye turned ice blue from centuries without a heartbeat caught his. "Should she be my childe and still in her Requiem, that is something the two of us shall have words on. Despite what else you may be you are Daeva; clumsy words are unbecoming of your blood."

Originally Posted By: Sir Robin D'Alsace
"Should she be my childe and still in her Requiem, that is something the two of us shall have words on. Despite what else you may be you are Daeva; clumsy words are unbecoming of your blood."

Antoine's teeth grated on each other as he bit back a series of choice comments as Robin spoke. Finally he had had enough, and was about it spout off when his ears caught up to his brain, Wait, what? Did she just say that? Huh? Is she implying that that bitch vampire who turned me was hers? A gamut of possible barbs presented themselves to him but ultimately Antoine clamped down on his flippant remarks, "What the hell are you talking about woman?"

Originally Posted By: Antione
"We are not all children to be nannied woman, you would do well to remember that."

What was that all about? Adrian thought. He couldn't make out what Sir Robin said next, but her body language spoke volumes. Too bad they were volumes of expression Adrian hadn't gotten to yet. All he could do was guess that she had gotten angry about something and that she didn't want to be overheard.

Originally Posted By: Antione
"What the hell are you talking about woman?"

Well, Antione wasn't backing down. In fact, he seemed to be working himself up for an out and out shouting match. He hoped they would both remember the Bully with the Stake sitting all too close by. Or, maybe the Big Daeva would intervene in this matter? Either way, he didn't want to see either of them beaten down for what was clearly their own damn personal business.

As increasingly hostile words were exchanged the trio on the stage just watched with carefully masked expressions. Nathis was smiling broadly at Antoine's every remark seemed to have 'woman' in it somewhere. He glanced at the Prince a couple times and back towards the group. A bucket of popcorn would not have been out of place given his expression. Pietro looked almost bored at the whole scene. Finally, he spoke, his voice demanding attention(though only very strongly suggesting deference)

"I see no reason to further escalate this dispute in public. Especially not in a court setting." He turned to the Prince.

"I do not believe that there is anything left to be said that would warrant taking up any more of your time."

The Prince smiled briefly before responding. "Indeed. Thank you for the offer of serving as an instructor to the young, Sir d'Alsace. I am sure there are those who will take you up on the offer, and I have no issue with the provision of a service. Though as a point of note, the individual you are looking for is of considerable standing and merit and you would all do well to mind your words around him, if you feel it necessary to speak to him. That is all I have, thank you for attending"

Prince Schiavone made her way from the stage towards a side door, the impressive-looking Daeva simply standing where he was, almost as if he was waiting for something.

My flannel shirt is rough on my skin tonight and the cool breeze over me makes my facial muscles turn up slightly in appreciative irritation. Some might say flannel isn't the sort of thing you wear to gatherings of Kindred, especially if you (nominally) represent your covenant. To them I say, 'Fuck off.' I like flannel. It goes well with blue jeans, which, incidentally, I am also wearing, also neatly pressed. I do take issue with the small splatter of paint on the left cuff of my shirt, but...that's life. Always looking for a way to be a bitch, isn't it?

I stand outside the door, letting what murmurs of conversation I could hear wash over me as I finished my cigarette and watched the mortals pass by. A theatre. Well. I could find meaning and symbolism in that if I bothered, no doubt...something to do with the games Kindred play, the tedious roles they assume as they while away eternity, as they draw pleasing shapes in the sand and kick them away...

Oh, the poet in me is a damnable nuisance. But what is life (death) without the iambic pentameter, the free verse, the limerick, even? What, you ask, what? Nothing, I say.

Nothing at all.

I am a very wise man tonight.

I stub out my cigarette before going in. We have an aversion to fire, us Kindred. Also, the smoke. Gets in everything, bad smell, bad for the lungs too, they say. I slide through the door, excusing myself ("Sorry I'm late, don't know where the time goes.") and seat myself next to two that seem slightly involved in the action (OOC: Lily and Adrian). I smile friendily enough at them, but, well...I'm a Nosferatu. Dreadful nuisance. The tattoos on my face no doubt contort slightly as I smile, the pictures of ships lost at sea, men burning, albatrosses falling dead from the sky (thought that was detail a bit too fine for the average eye to make out). And as I smile I nod, because nodding is what you do when you smile and you're at Elysium.

"Hello," I say quietly, my voice hoarse from lack of use, "I'm Larry, of the Nosferatu and the Circle of the Crone. Mind if I sit here?" I attempt a friendly wink. It probably comes out wrong.

Archived