Star Wars: The Sith War - Interest Check: Open World Star Wars Uni Forum

Seph OOC

Originally Posted By: Seph OOC
  • I'm sticking with the era, if not the definitive year that I first chosen. Legacy Era opens up a whole new can of worms that I have no interest in opening. People who have only seen the movies are going to have a hard enough time acclimating to a period thousands of years before the revolution, let alone having to absorb the events of a cataclysmic war involving aliens from outside Galactic Space that happened afterward. Further more, an older game can use most of the same vehicle and weapon stats as a game that takes place during Palpatine's Empire by simply switching out the names and making a few cosmetic changes. This is not true of the time following the Yuuzan Vhong war.

The only issue I have with the era is that there is no printed Revised Core Rules information on equipment, starships, vehicles, etc. We're going to be making up stats as we go, which for some is okay and others is a headache. The formation in the Revised Core Book doesn't date back 2,000 years.

In Legacy the Vong have been gone for as long as we want them to be. 30 years... 50 years... hell we've done 250 in TT games, meaning that people could have gotten over the Vong like they did the Empire. We'd considered a KotOR game before but without printed info it requires a ST to pretty much throw together every detail from scratch aside from lightsabers and sith swords.

At least with Legacy we can still use all the information in the revised core and supplements like Arms & Equipment Guide.

The KotOR book is supposed to due for release this summer from WotC. I think it'll be set for SW Sagas however, not Revised SW.

Suggestion: can we have Force Sensative for free? I know I'm being a bit cheesy, but here's the reasoning: it costs a feat slot, but nearly everyone takes it anyway. Could we house rule that everyone has it, and if you opt out, you get something worthwhile for giving it up?

Up to the mods, but I wouldn't go for it unless you're willing to sacrifice something to get it. Otherwise, you're giving everyone something for free, whether or not they choose to be Force Sensitive. It seems easier to just be part of a Force-using class, or the Skywalker bloodline, or buy the feat normally during play (if you want to eventually become Force Sensitive, but not start that way.)

Originally Posted By: Jael Carver
Suggestion: can we have Force Sensative for free?

Absosmurfly not. If most players want to play Force Sensitive characters, than most players can pay for the Force Sensitive Feat. Force users already have a tremendous edge over other characters, especially at lower levels. There is little that could be given in the way of compensation to a non-Force user, except, perhaps, another Feat, and that ain't kosher.

Several people have had questions about character creation, so I'll answer what I can here and try to assist others when I have the time and opportunity (for those who do not have the Revised Core Book, I'll help you get a character going if you're interested).

Starting Credits: (All Classes) 3,000cr, (Nobles only) 4,000cr.

(Info taken from Heroes' Guide, nobles get a bit more)

Force Points: All characters should start with 3 Force Points, Force Sensitive characters start with 4.

Dark Side Points: You may assign Dark Side points to your characters as you see fit. It's your ass. After a character falls to the dark side the roll at each level to see if you suffer debilitating effects should be handled by a GM/Mod, not the character's player.

Ex-Jedi: For those who have characters with one or more Jedi level but who will no longer be members of the Jedi Order keep in mind that your character was a Padawan learner and when they left the order they had to turn in their lightsaber.

Does anyone have any other questions that I can help them with?

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Starting Credits: (All Classes) 3,000cr, (Nobles only) 4,000cr.
(Info taken from Heroes' Guide, nobles get a bit more)
That's for starting characters at level 1. We're not starting at level 1. There will be an additional allotment for the level differential.

Force Points: All characters should start with 3 Force Points, Force Sensitive characters start with 4.

Dark Side Points: You may assign Dark Side points to your characters as you see fit. It's your ass. After a character falls to the dark side the roll at each level to see if you suffer debilitating effects should be handled by a GM/Mod, not the character's player.
Um what?

Ex-Jedi: For those who have characters with one or more Jedi level but who will no longer be members of the Jedi Order keep in mind that your character was a Padawan learner and when they left the order they had to turn in their lightsaber.
Yeah.

That's for starting characters at level 1. We're not starting at level 1. There will be an additional allotment for the level differential.

The Hero's Guide Page 118, 3rd level characters begin with 3,000cr. If you'd like to give us more that's cool with me.

Quote:
Um what?

At 1st level character get 1 FP to begin with, Force Sensitives start with 2. Every level you gain grants you an automatic Force Point. So 3rd level characters should have 3, and Force Sensitive characters should have 4.

Note I said should. This'll at least get the math correct and you may add or subtract at your whim.

Dark Side points are a logical assumption. 3rd level means the characters have at least been around the block once or twice. Meaning that if someone feels their character should have a few Dark Side Points, that's their prerogative.

The Hero's Guide Page 118, 3rd level characters begin with 3,000cr. If you'd like to give us more that's cool with me.

I'll have to take you at your word, since I don't have the books with me. Anyhow, mea culpa. I've always thought the starting character allotment was rather anemic, however, and will be boosting it for starting characters.

Admittedly, it's been a couple years, but the last time I did character creation for this game I seem to remember that I went melee specifically because starting money wasn't enough to afford a blaster pistol that was worth a squirt of piss.

At 1st level character get 1 FP to begin with, Force Sensitives start with 2. Every level you gain grants you an automatic Force Point. So 3rd level characters should have 3, and Force Sensitive characters should have 4.

Note I said should. This'll at least get the math correct and you may add or subtract at your whim.

Dark Side points are a logical assumption. 3rd level means the characters have at least been around the block once or twice. Meaning that if someone feels their character should have a few Dark Side Points, that's their prerogative.

I was mostly taking issue with what you said about ascribing DSP as you see fit. Your math is correct with LSP, though I also think it's reasonably to assume that by third level, a character will have spent at least one of them, so I'm probably going to say start with 2/3 rather than 3/4. As for DSP, there will definitely be a cap on that at start, very probably 3 or 4. I need to review the rules.

Basically the deal with Dark Side points is that they're a measure of how much of an evil bastard you are. If you want to get Dark Side points and fast, all you really have to do is get really angry and go start kicking children off cliffs/walkways/rooftops, etc. You can get Dark Side points as quick as you want, really, which is why there's really not much a purpose to capping them. If they want to start that close to disintegrating because of Corruption, I say let them have at it

Originally Posted By: Hyoseph
Basically the deal with Dark Side points is that they're a measure of how much of an evil bastard you are. If you want to get Dark Side points and fast, all you really have to do is get really angry and go start kicking children off cliffs/walkways/rooftops, etc. You can get Dark Side points as quick as you want, really, which is why there's really not much a purpose to capping them. If they want to start that close to disintegrating because of Corruption, I say let them have at it
Of course, you're assuming that this game will assign DSP in accordance with the rules, and that just ain't so. To put this in terms similar to those we were discussing recently, think of the acquisition of DSP as similar to the function of Humanity in Vampire. With 0 DSP, doing bad things like intentionally causing the harm of innocent people will get you DSP. As that scale climbs, though, the goalpost moves a little. And really, that only makes sense: if that was any other way, Vader would have had a fucking hojillion DSP for nuking Alderaan.

So in this case, your starting DSP does matter, because more than just a measure of how evil a bastard you are, it's also kind of a measure of just how functionally fucked-up you are. It's sort of like playing a Taint 9 nova. Sure, you can, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen out of the gate, and not, in this case, at level 3.

So how will you handle Force Skills that specifically state "Use of this give you a Dark Side Point."?

It's been a universally accepted house rule that DSPs should only be handed out once per specific set evil acts. Anakin slaughtered the entire camp of Tuskan Raiders and only had 3 DSPs by the end of Episode 2. Had it been by the:

Quote:
If you want to get Dark Side points and fast, all you really have to do is get really angry and go start kicking children off cliffs/walkways/rooftops, etc.

philosophy then Anakin would have fallen long before he did.

It takes acts of great evil to make the Dark Side give notice once a character has reached a certain point. Slaughtering the children in the Jedi Temple was the fall of Anakin into Vader, not stopping Mace from defeating Darth Sidious. By the time he battled Obi-Wan he had completely fallen and was high on the power.

Honestly I kick players in the head when they pull the "I'll just use Force Lighting on beer cans until I fall to the Dark Side!" crap. Weak dude... really weak.

The problem that does arise is how Seph plans to handle skills where all you have to use them and fall, like Force Lightning. I hate it when players pull that crap, but it's legal.

Admittedly, it's been a couple years, but the last time I did character creation for this game I seem to remember that I went melee specifically because starting money wasn't enough to afford a blaster pistol that was worth a squirt of piss.

How can you play a space game if you don't have a big fucking blaster?!?!

When all else fails Two-Weapon Fighting and a Rotary Carbine in each hand sure do make for awesome visual. Nothing like light weight underslung laser Gatling guns. Hook em' to a back pack portable generator and you never have to worry about reloads. smile

This is why I'm not allowed to play Soldiers... or Mandalorians... or Mandalorian Soldiers...

Just to let everyone know, I haven't abandoned this project or put it on hold or anything. I PM'd Chosen about opening the forum a little while ago, and I'm just waiting to hear back.

Still open to more questions, if anyone has them, and I've since found my copies of the Core Rules, Alien Anthology, Arms & Equipment Guide, Dark Side Sourcebook and Hero's Guide, so I should be more accommodating, also.

Archived