Exalted: Shards of Hope - Interlude Ch 1: Plans & Schemes, Hopes & Dreams

Dave ST

Slowly and with an ancient creak the black iron doors opened. Within them was depicted a woman, naked and shy of her bare self. A cloaked figure rose up from behind her gently allowing his billowing cloak to embrace her frame leaving nothing but her bare torso and pure expression exposed. Sinfully his weathered hands crossed her chest and cupped her breasts. As the door gave way and opened the black three-dimensional iron artwork was split down its center causing the interlocking cross of the skeletal arms to release their grasp on the maiden’s bosom exposing her sculpted perfections.

The sound of armor echoed through the doorway as the light from outside the chamber’s door forced a long shadow to stretch upon the red crystalline floor. One after another the armored foot falls echoed through, the shadow swaying with the rhythm of pride and bolstered by the tempo of purpose.

Muffled now by the black carpet beneath his feet the armored man stopped halfway through the chamber. Gracefully and respectfully he dropped to one knee. “All is as you have requested my Mistress.”

The shadows he addressed jingled slightly and the rattle of a few shifting beads broke the otherwise silent chamber’s gloom. Although obscured by the darkness a woman’s frame could be made out sitting sideways in a large ostentatious throne. Her back rested against the left stuffed arm while her slender legs playfully bobbed while crossed over the right. “Ah, The Harrowing of Innocent’s Lament, you’re a day early.” Her servant’s eyes traced every visible inch of her frame, trying not to look too obvious. His glance reached the silvery tip of her boot’s heel, polished so brightly that even from where he knelt he could see his reflection perfectly along the spike that measured several inches. “Pray you have good news.”

“Indeed Mistress.” His eyes hit the floor again. “The Keeper was poisoned just as you commanded.”

“And?” She cut him off, a bored tone in her voice.

“It took several months, but The Green Lady’s prediction was accurate. The Solars eventually dealt with it.”

“For what I had to go through to get that information, it better have been accurate.” She added.

“Just as you planned. The influx of essence released from the beast ignited their anima banners for all to see within miles.” He raised his head, smiling. “They have nowhere to return to.”

“And Cynis Labara?”

“Completely the thrall of the Malfeans, my Mistress. She commands a Wing of well-trained soldiers, all trained in Wyld Hunt tactics. Most of which are unaware.”

The shadow gently brushed her long nails across her chest, apparently uninterested in details and incredibly infatuated with herself. “My, how exciting. You’ve been busy my dear, haven’t you?” She turned her head turned to face him, still wreathed in shadows but he knew he had her interest. “Most?”

“All in your name my Mistress, and there is more.” He stood now, his chest out and his head high as his armor shifted to match his pose. “A full one hundred and fifty of those two hundred and fifty soldiers are yours to command. I supplanted them myself, hand selected from a Cult in your name. As well as staff and guardsmen.” His grin went from ear to ear. “We may take the Labara estate at your command. It shan’t be long until the girl is ours.”

“Marvelous.” She chuckled gleefully. “You have done well my dearest Lament.”

“There is one thing, if I may?” His voice was hesitant and lost a bit of its confidence. It was almost odd that a mere woman such as the one upon the throne could instill fear in him so easily. “The Solars. I would never question my Mistress’s judgment; I exist only to serve you. But, why do we permit them to continue existing?”

“Because,” Her arrogant tone was beyond measure, even through the shadows the glossy sheen of her onyx lips could be seen curled into a smirk of indulgence, knowing that she held all the answers while the masses scurried around confused in the dark and needing to cater to her every desire in order to find their purpose pleased her. “Like you, they serve a purpose. The enemy of my enemy is my friend my dearest Lament. Look at them.”

The Harrowing of Innocent’s Lament looked to the black carpet at his feet. It twisted and wavered and opened like a iris sifting away clouds. There Callum, Ledaal Akryruh, Rysha, and Mei stood bickering over the large amounts of coin that were being extorted from them and over a selection of what spices would be used to prepare the pheasant that was spoiling, half cleaned on a stump near a fire pit. A large cabin was in background and a dark haired man could be seen shaking his head behind them as if not understanding how cooking a bird could be as difficult as they made it.

“Their alliance is a shaky one at best. Always fighting, arguing, and in the case of the Dawn showing off.” She looked at the back her hand inspecting her manicure. “They are their own undoing Lament. In time they will break under the weight of their own power. Their hubris will lead them straight to me.”

“They will give themselves… willingly?” The Deathknight asked, confused and curious as to whether or not his Mistress had paid for two predictions in the stars.

The pool at his feet shimmered and displayed a new vision. A woman weeping silently while clutching dearly to her sobbing scared child. Both were surrounded by darkness, dressed in rags that exposed their pale chalky hued flesh.

“One can hope.” She chuckled again. The mesmerizing movements of her abundant chest kept the Deathknight’s full attention. “Then there are those who are foolish enough to trust in ‘love’. It’s such an orgasmic sensation to see the expression on a fools face when you find the thing they cherish most, and take it away.

A vile grin crossed reflective lips of obsidian. “Twice.”.

Her laughter filled the dark chamber as the pool collapsed upon itself leaving only the darkness of the carpet.

Archived