Aberrant: 200X - "Stepping On the Toes of God" OR "Robots? Que?"

Zer0

Originally Posted By: Shout Box

Contessa: A Contessa robot?!? Have the mods lost their marbles?

Alexis Layton: What?

Contessa: Read "Of Madness and Metal". Zer0 apparently creates a robot from a Contessa mold.

Zer0: As an initial design, sure, but as you can see in the second post, they're two very different creatures(in more ways than "one's a nova, one's a machine"

Zer0: I have said before and I will say it again -- If it irritates you, let me know so I can change the name, since that's about where the association ends

Contessa: I don't mind Contessa being used as the 'blue print' since it doesn't look like her and wont ruin her image... it's the "I made an android." that has me shocked.

Zer0: The best I can do is suggest patience. Unless the simple creation of a realistic doll shocks you, I think when this thing works itself out, it will be ok

Valerie: Well the functuonaklity of the Android is what decides how advanced it is, it it's only good at menial tasks it might be simple enough to be possible, but if it can reason a situation and has feelings, might be a bit too self-aware >_>

Flicker: Have you considered a discussion thread in the 200X area? ;D

Zer0: 'Zactly. I'm not quite crazy enough to go for a full blown self-aware AI. Something that has programming similar to a modern RPG NPC or a Sim's Game?

Zer0: Again, Flicker steps forward with a brilliant plan. Go Nova Go! I'll copy-paste what's here so far into a thread...

The questionable parts, as far as I can see are these two:

1) Machine initially modeled to look like Contessa. --- Initially, sure. However, since Contessa is an individual character under the control of an individual player which I have no intention if messing with(without permission, that is), the similarities end with the name. The result would have been the same if he had used "Ausrine", "Knockout", any of the other holy crap mega-appearance type novas. After about a post, the similarities were gone, only the level of appearance stayed.

2) AI -- Like I said in the post, I'm not quite crazy enough to go for a full blown self-aware AI. Programming that has been done up to now along the lines of a modern video game NPC or Sim's Game seems very plausible. (Series to demonstrate "AI" - Hitman, Rainbow Six, Assassin's Creed, Fable, The Sims(2))

I have actually explained this to at least a couple of them, and yes, they are watching what I do very carefully.

The end result is actually going to be pretty tame. Point A = Mundane, point B = Mundane. Getting from point A to point B = That's where the fun is. I'm reminded of a certain piece of literature with rabbit hole. The beginning and the end happened in the mundane world. The middle was far from it.

I'm just going to put this out there as well. I'm actually planning on going down a pretty dark path with this storyline. If it ever gets to the point where you just want to say "ok, that's enough" I'm kinda counting on you(the other writers) to say so. You have ultimate power over how far the Madness and Metal goes.

Originally Posted By: Alexis Layton
It's a fine line to walk. I'll trust that the Mods will take your nose off if you get too far out of line. smile

Just think of what the other authors can do... ((hides))

Makes sense to me. smile

Still, in my mind, it's not the end result that makes the process interesting... (like you said, it's basically a FemBot. No big deal, been done before) it's how you get there.

Originally Posted By: Zer0
The end result is actually going to be pretty tame. Point A = Mundane, point B = Mundane. Getting from point A to point B = That's where the fun is. I'm reminded of a certain piece of literature with rabbit hole.

Wow. I know that I'm full of myself sometimes and get overly-fond of my own writing ability, but did you just put yourself in the same league as Lewis Carroll?

Wow. . . cool

Originally Posted By: Flicker
Originally Posted By: Zer0
The end result is actually going to be pretty tame. Point A = Mundane, point B = Mundane. Getting from point A to point B = That's where the fun is. I'm reminded of a certain piece of literature with rabbit hole.

Wow. I know that I'm full of myself sometimes and get overly-fond of my own writing ability, but did you just put yourself in the same league as Lewis Carroll?

Wow. . . cool
I can see that you're not going to be one of the fans of my writing. Ah well, can't win them all.
And no, I did not put myself in the same league as Lewis Carroll. Not any more than Peter Jackson's screenwriter put himself in the same league as Tolkein. However, same general idea. Mundane beginning, mundane end, crazy middle.

Originally Posted By: Michael McGee
Or the Wachowski Siblings.

Now them I wouldn't actually have much issue putting myself in league with. They're good directors, they make a hell of a movie. However, there were parts of the Matrix series that just turned into so much metaphysical "huh?" I had to go back and watch it again to make sure I got the point of the actual story through it all. A little foggy to say the least.

I'll put myself in with the same league as Lewis Carroll and Aristotle, Plato, Socrates... morons!.

At any rate, I'm not bothered by Zer0 making a Contessa FemBot providing that the end result doesn't look like Contessa. She was blessed with the comic book heroine body that defies gravity (has anyone made the connection yet? That's why she has Gravity Manipulation grin ) so as lonely as Zer0 is in his lab I can understand why he'd need a doll to help him release some pressure. Just be clear that your FemBot can in no way be mistaken for Contessa and cannot in anyway sully her reputation without my approval.

Personally, I would have made a Android Knockout complete with gadgetry powers and called her "Technical Knockout".

Originally Posted By: Contessa
She was blessed with the comic book heroine body that defies gravity (has anyone made the connection yet? That's why she has Gravity Manipulation grin )
Bloody hell, how did I not catch that? Awesome. smile
Quote:
Personally, I would have made a Android Knockout complete with gadgetry powers and called her "Technical Knockout".
*Groan.*

Originally Posted By: Contessa

Thought about it, actually. Though at the time of the schematic creation, there was no Knockout and I'm not a fan of ret-cons.

Oh, let's put it into perspective. We (and by we I generally mean those with the Y-chromosome handicap) think we want this:

programmed_to_please_wm.jpg

But this is the reality and apex of artificiality:

project_aiko_handicapped_robot.jpg

To make the story realistic, though, its creator will NOT refer to his creation as a doll. He will instead claim its an "action figure" and all the other mad scientists are doing it so there is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

I am, of course, speaking in jest. You just can't be serious after googling for images using a string like "robot girl". wink

Besides, scary would have been an amoral telepath with enough bank to finance a nova surgeon who molds skin and bone like clay, then use these twin talents to "create" his own personal version of Contessa.

Hey, its five am. At five am you can think of all kinds of weirdness.

Originally Posted By: VileBill
Thanks Jack, just what I need to start out my day. I'm sooooo fucking creeped out now.
Originally Posted By: Alexis Layton
Gah. When the page loaded, that picture loaded first. I thought, "What the hell was that?" It is completely setting off my doll phobia.

In that case, my work here is done.

Hiyo Silver! Away! laugh

Archived