Aberrant: 200X - Much Simpler Question...(or is it?)

Zer0

If I'm going to end up making what amounts to being a version of Synapse or Bug, what would be an appropriate energy type for the bodymorph aspect? Considering either light or electricity to be able to exist in things like opnet servers and power lines.

The book version of Bug(who did the same thing, mostly) had his bodymorph listed as "energy", but that doesn't help much.

As per the aberration, yes? Or is that basically a no-go here as well?

Quote:
From Aberrant: Core Rulebook - P. 152

Permanent Power - One of the nova's powers becomes permanent, unable to be suppressed. This permanence has the advantage that the power costs no quantum points to use; however, the power might make it exceedingly difficult for a nova to interact with the rest of her environment. Examples of powers that might become permanent include Density Control, Immolate, and Bodymorph.

This aberration on a power that basically says the character will never have actual physical contact with anything ever again I think works out quite nicely. But then again, I'm new here. I don't know. If you guys don't like this idea, I'll come up with another one.

So the question is, would that be acceptable to the people here as an aberrant permanent power? Matter chameleon, restricted to light-based energies(light and electricity come to mind, it specifically would not auto-pop to generic 'energy' like Quantum Bolt)

Assuming Matter Chameleon 5, since it says specifically to go by Bodymorph rules for changing state, the 'light/data' form would effectively have 3 points of Density reduction in it which basically makes it intangible to physical attacks, probably invisibility(1) and Holo(1)

Energy attacks, psychic attacks, they still affect normally. I would even go so far as to say that if someone wanted to mess with him with Cyberkinesis while he was in the network that would be entertaining

That's entirely up to you guys, actually. I would say that most of the time if he's actually affecting a machine, that would be where his 'body' is, given the range of cyberkinesis.

While he would be spending most of his time jumping around in the various networks, if he ever actually manifested for interaction with others on a semi-personal level(i.e. bringing up Holo he would be targetable by any number of the perceptive powers. Kinda like 'how do you spot an invisible man?' Mega-Perception Electro-spec vision would have him standing out like nothing else in the world.

If he's in the network either transmitting himself around or simply being, it seems like it would be a matter of using the Node to find him(since dorming down isn't exactly an option). Albeit he wouldn't be in the same place for very long, but it would be a lot like catching a teleporter. It would take a while, it would probably be annoying, but it could be done.

You'd need to use the Cyberkinesis power 'Possession' and in habit the network that way, which is Q6. Matter chameleon is always a first jump when Bodymorph does the same damn thing.

I'd copy the bug template and swap energy for 'light', which allow him access to the GTG. Electricity would allow him to bounce around from appliance to appliance, but anything that is not hooked up to that grid would be safe from him, like a car or a laptop not plugged into a wall.

Cyberkinesis will be needed for him to interact with the opent, but he'd still need a core PC to work from, since he can't possess yet.

Also there would be no point in making his power permanent if he could still interact with Holo or Mirage. If you want him to inhabit the GTG permanently and live there... well then he's stuck there. Maybe a coded face on someone's screen or something but to just wiggle your nose and now you can communicate like a flesh and blood person again defeats the crippling point of making him trapped in the machine, which is what aberration do, they handicap you.

Bug possesses computer systems and then they make the Possession power which does the same damn thing but requires Q6. Honestly I'd say that since 'Possession' covers inhabiting networks then that power would override Bug's power suite (I'm not sure which book was released first). Lucky for you I don't make the rules. smile

Just my thoughts.

P.S. Why do you need permanent on everything? Why can't you just make a meat body guy who spends his time controlling machines with Cyberkinesis. When the day (if the day) rolls around that Q6 is allowed in 200X then he can evolve into living in the OpNet. Evolution is a big theme of aberrant, start on the bottom and make him a God from the ground up.

I second Salamander's comment: Aberrations are supposed to be impediments to living and existing normally.

I also point out it's a major aberration so you're looking at having to have two minor and two medium aberrations as well. This character is going to be heavily frontloaded with hassle.

Eh, I can do the simple way(guy who simply messes with machines) I just figured the other way would be more interesting. And as far as the "jumping around in the systems, using holo to communicate" is concerned, I simply saw two prime examples of what I was going to do and copied them.

Permanent Power Aberration seemed appropriate enough for the writers to give it to both Bug and Synapse and they both did the kind of stuff that I was looking for(Synapse with the Holo) but if it's not going to work out that way...

And if appearing a visual image that is plainly not real(1 dot of Holo = easy spot) and cannot physically interact with anything is just like a flesh and blood person, I don't want to think about how most of your interactions with other people go.

Regarding possession, the simple level of power and control (not to mention near invulnerability) that Possession gives is the reason that it's Quantum 6: (Hi, I'm about 500 meters wide, can control every networked machine in my space, and can move at lightspeed. Come get me)

However, just because I see where this is going already, ok, I'll drop the Aberration. It's not like it's totally concept breaking

Archived